Damaged Goods

 
by Bloodshedbaby

 

A/N- After being seriously disturbed by Damage, I decided it could definitely do with a little rewrite. So this is my take on how that episode should have gone. Remember, this is an AU, so if there are discrepancies, please ignore them!

Disclaimer- I do not own any the characters of Buffy or Angel, I am merely borrowing

Chapter 1

'All right then. Let's do it' Spike thought to himself as he headed down the basement stairs. The air was dark and stale. Stagnent oppression tried closed in from all sides was threatening to overwhelm him. Sorrow had lived here, Spike could feel it.

His prey, this wayward slayer, had already kicked his ass twice tonight. He was eager to get the job finished and pass her off to Angel. There was some beer waiting for him and Spike was eager to get to it.  

'A psycho slayer,' Spike muttered to himself, still having a hard time getting that concept through his melon. Bloody terrifying. She'd almost staked his ass twice tonight with very little effort.

The slayer in question had already slain her way viciously out of the mental institution that had been her home for the last few years. The chit hadn't had an easy time of it, according to certain employees at the asylum. Abducted as a child and tortured, she'd apparently  been found wandering the streets, bloody and catatonic.

    But six months ago, when Willow had turned all the potentials into slayers during the battle with the first, the girl had awakened from her from her catatonia and displayed excessive bursts of strength. she had been Chosen.

    She had woken up a slayer.

Spike's evening hadn't improved when he had walked into Wolfram and Hart and had seen Andrew sitting there. It brought back too many memories.

All of Spike's thoughts were put on hold as he reached the bottoms of the stairs. The coppery smell of sweet slayer's blood had grown stronger and the basement he found himself in was bleak and dark.  

 And there she stood.

Spike walked slowly in her direction. "All right pet. No getting away. Got your scent locked in now. Could track you for miles."

"No escaping," the girl uttered softly. She was still wearing the clothes she had stolen from the convenience store earlier that evening. Black pants, black tank top and a flannel shirt. Her dirty brown hair was hanging tangled in a face streaked with blood.  She had dipped her fingers in the blood of the man she killed at the hospital and applied tribal war paint symbols on her face in a gesture that spoke of the first slayer. 

"That's right. No escaping." He started walking cautiously towards her. "Now, all the same, don't wanna have to hurt you," he continued in a gentle voice.

"Doesn't hurt if you hold still," Dana replied in the same soft voice.

Spike couldn't figure out what this crazy slayer was talking about. He sighed. "Right."

"Heart...and head. Have to get home. Doesn't hurt if you hold still," Dana continued in a voice that reminded Spike of Drusilla.

Spike laughed. "You're a real sack of hammers, aren't you? Hey... don't worry. I used to date a girl who wasn't all there."

"Heart...and head. Stab the heart, cut off the head. Only way to be sure," Dana said, looking intently at Spike.

"That's slayer talk, isn't it?" 

"Keep cutting till you see dust."  

"Right. Let me explain. You got visions. Right? Vampire slayer memories kickin' around in your head. Which is tough.....cause it sounds like you're past midnight on the crazy clock anyway," Spike announced. This girl made him nervous - and when he got nervous, he said things.

Dana suddenly cowered. "Please don't. I have to get home to my son... to my Robin."

Confused, Spike asked, "Robin? Oh, hey you're talkin' about Nikki, the slayer I offed back in-" he cut off as Dana shot her head up to glare at him. "Uh yeah. You probably don't want to think about that, pet."

"William the Bloody," she announced coldly. It was now obvious to Spike that these slayer memories were playing through her head, almost like a movie, and she had just watched his starring role in Nikki Woods death. The second slayer he had killed, before he had met Buffy and had his entire existence turned around.

"No. No. No! That's NOT gonna lead anywhere good. You want to focus on what's real," Spike tried to explain to her.

"Head and heart. Don't be scared," Dana repeated, her eyes narrowing at him.  Spike could practically feel the coldness and hate radiating off of her.

"Bloody hell, what I wouldn't give to have Buffy here right now," Spike muttered to himself, knowing that she would a much better job at getting through to this girl than he was.

"Buffy?" Dana asked suddenly, her tone different. Her face became a mask of concentration, eyes going wide as clarity crept slowly in. 
****

Dana's mind was spinning at the assault of memories that had been evoked at the mention of Buffy's name. She was watching these on fast forward, they were spinning through her mind, she was helpless to stop them. Like the other slayers memories had, but these were different. These were intense, breathtaking. These weren't just memories, she was feeling them,living them. She saw this vampire before her trying to kill her, then help her. She saw another vampire who she loved, then feared, then whom she finally killed. She saw this blonde try to kill her again over and over. She saw herself at school, with friends, with..her watcher? She felt  love for them. She saw Buffy's mother, then later on, she saw her sister. She felt the hate and annoyance Buffy had felt this William the Bloody, otherwise known as Spike.

 Then something changed, he started to help them. Instead of hating him, there was acceptance. There was a fight with a strong blonde woman, and Dana knew contentment  because she knew Spike would take care of her sister, she trusted him. He was loyal and she knew the vampire loved Buffy, and would do anything for her. Then she knew Buffy had died and was brought back. All of these memories were flashing through her.

Spike wasn't sure what was happening here, but he was keeping still and letting the girl suss it out because for the first time, she was showing emotion on her face. Emotion besides rage and hate, and he wanted to see where she went with it.

For Dana, the memories kept coming, and they kept growing more intense, saturating her brain like  water in a sponge. She felt Buffy's despair at being back, and her desperation to feel something, anything. She felt the passion Buffy had felt for this vampire, but then the self loathing, the emptiness. Dana didn't quite understand these feelings, but she was living them regardless.

 

     Then she was plunged back into despair when the blonde  left her. There were some bad feelings there, but she didn't understand them. Then there was happiness at his return with pity and self loathing again, when she realized Spike had obtained his soul to be worthy of her. The memories that followed in Dana mind were confusing, but the one thing Dana clung to was Buffy's absolute trust in this man. He was a good man, and Buffy believed in him. He had died for her. He had done some bad things in the past, but in the end, he was the only there for her, for Buffy.

The deep layers into her brain that the real Dana had buried herself in years ago, began to unravel. For the first time, she allowed herself to hope that maybe she could come out, that she would be safe. She was like a catepiller turning into a butterfly, with her mind the cocoon. Buffy trusted Spike, of that Dana had absolutely no doubt. Maybe she could too. Experimenting, she tried slipping her slayer self back, the one that had completely taken over once she had awoken. And she brought the real Dana forward.

"Spike?" she asked softly.

"Yes pet, Spike. I'm Spike." he answered, just as softly, his eyes hopeful.

"Spike good. Buffy trust Spike," Dana announced, trying to reassure herself.

Spike realized, with a shock, that Dana had to have experienced Buffy's memories,
somehow. This was good, maybe he wouldn't have to resort to knocking the little girl out to get her back to Wolfram and Hart.

Suddenly, there was a different girl in front of her. This was not just a psycho slayer
anymore. This was a scared lost girl who had grown up in terror and was now being faced with real monsters and nightmares. Spike didn't know if it was from channeling Buffy's memories or what, but Dana had changed right in front of him. This girl was lucid, but she was very very terrified, her eyes spoke of her panic.

As if to confirm his suspicions, she took a step towards him and whispered, tears in her eyes, "Spike, will you help me? I know you helped Buffy. I'm scared." Her speech was rusty from lack of use, but Spike's acute hearing deciphered what she said.

Even as she finished saying those words, there was a loud crash as Angel's tactical
team burst into the damp basement. They wore full containment gear and had their weapons trained on Dana. 

Her eyes widened at the sudden assault, and she instinctively jumped into the safety of Spike's arm, burying her face against his chest. She tried to calm her fears, but she could feel herself trying to retreat.

'It will be ok, I'm safe. Spike will keep me safe' Dana told herself over and over. She felt his arms around her and she felt protected for the first time ever.

"It's ok, pet. I got you," Spike whispered to her, bringing his arm up to stroke her hair.

Angel strode into the room and saw Spike holding the crazed slayer.

"Spike, what the hell are you doing? Get away from her!" he yelled, stomping to
where the two were entwined.

"Sod off, you half wit," Spike growled. "Open your eyes and use your brain for once in your life, you ponce."

"I told you we would handle it. I saw Andrew outside, he said she knocked him out, and kicked your ass again. Not that the thought doesn't make me happy, but we'll take care of it from here." Angel announced, annoyed that Spike had tracked the girl down before him.

"You're not touching her," Spike retortedhotly. To Dana, he said "Come on, luv, let's get out of this dank hole. This is worse than that wanker Harris's basement, " To his surprise, she replied. "I know."

"You know? Huh, how bout that," he turned her around and keeping his arm around her, drew her into his side protectively.

"Have the tin men put their little toys away, peaches," Spike instructed Angel.

Angel gave a long suffering sigh, and indicated to the men to stand down.


"Good doggies," Spike taunted, as he attempted to lead Dana past them and out of the basement.

Angel furrowed his mighty brow, and reached an arm out to stop Spike. Dana gasped and recoiled, fear evident on her face.

"Bloody hell!! What the hell is going on in that oversized cranium of yours? I'm taking her out of here. God man, can't you feel the bad vibes here?" Spike declared, giving his sire a thunderous look.

"And I said, you're not taking her anywhere," Angel growled.

"Do you think this is a soddin pissing contest here? The chit is scared shitless, you bloody idiot," Spike said.

"Even more reason why she shouldn't be with you," Angel replied, attempting to take Dana's arm to move her away from Spike.

Dana shrank back in fear, terror evident on her face. She drew herself back and pressed herself against Spike's back, clutching his arm in desperation. "Angelus" she whispered, and she buried her face into Spike's leather duster. "Please no. Don't hurt me, I don't want to go back."

Angel's eyes widened at her words, confusion hitting him hard. When he saw Spike turn to her and envelop her in his arms, with her burying her head into his shoulder, his confusion turned to shock.

"What happened here, Spike?" Angel asked quietly.

Spike turned his head to look at his sire, and Angel could see worry in his eyes. Obviously he had missed something and blundered his way into making a bad situation a lot worse. God he hated this job. As usual, he hadn't trusted Spike and it was obviously going to turn around and bite him in the ass. For some reason she was scared of him, but she trusted Spike.

"I told you I'd tell you, you bleedin wanker. But, I'm not doing it  down HERE," Spike repeated. He once again attempted to lead the girl to the door, and this time was met with no resistance. "I think this place has bad memories for the girl."

Angel followed the pair up the stairs. He had told his team to stay back, but keep alert. He didn't think the slayer was going to be a problem anymore, but he was going to make sure they were prepared for the possibility.

When he reached the top of the stairs, he found Spike once again comforting the girl at the end of the alley. Her face was obscured from view but Angel's vampiric hearing picked out the sound of crying. he heard Spike whispering comforting words to her, holding her close and stroking the back of her head. He decided to give them a moment.

TBC



Chapter 2

Finally Dana felt her tears stop. It had been so long since she had cried, years in fact. It hurt. But Dana knew in order to heal, she had to open herself to this pain. She had kept herself locked away long enough, it was time to join the living.
 

Spike felt her stiffen and looked up to face the cause of it. Angel was walking his way slowly to them, not wanting to frighten the girl again.
 

"Angelus," Dana repeated.
 

"No luv, that Angel. The life of Buffy didn't include Angel coming back from hell with his soul intact?" Spike asked her. Dana shook her head, keeping her eye on the brunette standing in front of them.
 

Interesting, Spike thought. "It's ok. Angel's an idiot, but he's harmless." Spike informed her.
 

Angel glared at the blonde. "Dammit Spike!"
 

"What? You are an bleedin idiot. You need an example? Ok, let's see. How about you this, blundering into a situation you know nothing about and scaring the piss out of this girl?" Spike goaded.
 

Angel shook his head. "Fine, whatever, I'm an idiot." To Dana, he said "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."
 

Dana just nodded at him. She had too much going through her head right now to deal with this.
 

She looked at Spike, her eyes wide, "What do we do now?"
 

Spike looked at Angel. He hadn't thought that far ahead. His plans were to dump her on

Angel and get back to his flat and drink some beer. That didn't seem like it was going to be

an option anymore.
"Let's just get back to Wolfram and Hart, and we can decide from there," Angel announced. He had noted Dana darting her eyes at his team, and read the panic there.
 

He gestured to them to stay back, and then the two vampire and one slayer walked through the alley back to the docks where the cars were parked.
 

They were met at the pier by Andrew, who looked startled to see the slayer with her arms wrapped around Spike.
 

"Oh bloody hell," Spike announced.
 

"That's all right boys. I'll take it from here." Andrew informed them proudly.
 

"What!?" Angel asked.
 

"Totally 'preciate your help on this one, big guy. Never could've found her without you. But you got enough problems ofyour own to worry about." Andrew replied.
 

"Get out of the way, Andrew" Angel ordered as the trio tried to walk past him.
 

Andrew blocked the path. "She's a slayer. That means she ours."
 

"Yeah. Sorry. Not how it works." he replied.
 

Andrew stepped closer, Dana shrank back from the close contact and Spike put her behind him.
"No, I don't think you heard me, Angel." Andrew replied, as a group of girls stepped out from behind one of the vans. It was obvious they were slayers. "Think we're just gonna let you take her back to your evil stronghold? Well, as they say in Mexico... No..We're not...gonna...let you."
 

"She terrified and I'm not turning her over... to you." Angel retorted.
 

"You don't have a choice. Check the view screen, Uhura. I got 12 Vampyr Slayers behind me, and not one of them has ever dated you. She's coming with us, one way or another," Andrew informed them
 

Dana's mind was racing. They couldn't force her to go, could they? "No!! Please! Don't make me go!" she cried to Spike.
 

"You stupid git, Andrew. You can't make her do anything," Spike told the boy.
 

"I have orders from Giles and Buffy. News flash-nobody in our camp trust you anymore. Nobody. You work for Wolfram and Hart. Don't fool yourself... we're not on the same side. Thank you for your help.... but uh.. we got it." Andrew gestured to the girls to get Dana.
 

"No!" Dana cried, trying to break away from Spike so she can run.
 

"Don't worry, I'm not letting them take you anywhere you don't want to go," Spike whispered in her ear. He turned to face the oncoming slayers, vamping out and bracing himself for a fight. Dana had both arms wrapped around his bicep, pressing as close to him as she could.
 

"You are not taking the girl, " he growled. "She doesn't want to go, and you bints can't make her."
 

"Uh, I hate to break it to you, but the girl is a 5150. That means she is a danger to herself and a danger to others, therefore her rights to make her own decisions are forfeit. Any law enforecement or hospital can tell you that, " Andrew explained smugly.
 

"She's not a bleedin 5150. The girl is sane," Spike spat.
 

"What alternate dimension have you been?" Andrew asked incredulously.
 

Spike glared at the boy. The slayers had stopped a few feet away from the trio, and Andrew peered timidly over their shoulders.
 

"I'm not saying she wasn't a taco short of a combo plate, I'm saying she isn't anymore, you stupid wanker."
 

Angel injected, "It's true, Andrew."
 

Andrew looked at the girl, saw the way she was clutching on to Spike, and realized that perhaps he had made a slight miscalculation.
 

"Dana?" he asked. She nodded hesitantly.
 

"Oh wow, this is so cool! Giles is so going to wig! Damn I'm good. I was sent to bring back a cuckoo slayer, and I'm going to bring back a sane one. This is so awesome!" he gushed enthusiastically.
 

Spike rolled his eyes, his face returning to his human guise. "What part of her not going with you did you not understand, ponce?"
 

"She has too. She's a slayer. We're the Watchers Council."



Chapter 3
Spike rolled his eyes, his face returning to his human guise. "What part of her not going with you did you not understand, ponce?"
 

"She has too. She's a slayer. We're the Watchers Council." he announced, like they were simpletons.
 

From the tense way Dana was holding herself, Spike knew he had to get this confrontation over with and quickly.
 

Angel must have sensed it also, because he stated, "I think we need to talk to Rupert."
 

Spike nodded his head, "good idea mate. Let's head on over to your humble little office and do just that."
 

"Hey! I'm in charge here! Why do we need to talk to Giles?" Andrew whined, knowing his moment of glory was going to be taken away from him.
 

Spike looked at him. "Listen. Boy. Why don't you just ask the girl what she wants to do? She does have a brain, you know. That way we don't have to sit here and bloody argue until the sun comes up and certain people here turn to dust. Got it?"
 

"Fine." he pouted. "What do you want to do, Dana?"
 

Dana cast a frightened look to Spike, he nodded reassuringly to her. She took a deep breath and said, "Spike. Stay with Spike. Trust him."
 

Andrew wasn't quite prepared for that. "You do know he is a vampire, right? Granted he's really cool and everything, but he's still a little on the dead side, you know?"
 

Dana nodded, then turned away from all the eyes staring at her and buried her face into Spike's chest.
 

"Right then, happy now?" Spike felt compelled to ask. This night was not going like he had planned. "Meet us at Wolfram and Hart, and we'll call your precious Council of Wankers and get this sussed out."
 

He turned to Angel and said "Give me the keys to your car, mate."
 

"What? Why?
 

"Because I don't fancy driving back with your trained dogs, and I don't think the girl wants anymore slayer bonding time right now. Just give them over, ponce." He demanded, holding out his hand.
 

He caught them easily, and without another word took Dana's hand and led her Angel's GTO. he opened the passenger door for her and she slid in and he closed her door. The bleached blonde got in the driver's side and they took off.
 

Angel and Andrew watched them leave. "Well that was unexpected." Andrew announced.
 

"You're telling me." Angel muttered.
 

"At least we know she's safe." Andrew comforted himself with.
 

Angel looked at him with incredulous evident in his eyes. "This is Spike we are talking about, you know."
 

Andrew gave him a look and replied, "Boy, you really don't know him anymore, do you?"
 

There was a comfortable silence in the car as vampire and slayer sped through the streets of LA. His gaze was concentrated as he propelled the machine with ease towards W&H.
 

He glanced over at Dana, and noted her bowed head and the clasped hands in her lap.
 

"You ok?" he asked her, realizing that he was already feeling protective of this girl.
 

"Yes. I'm sorry I hurt you. You know, earlier." she replied, in a hesitant voice.
 

Spike laughed. "It's all right luv. Me vampire, you slayer. You were doing what you were supposed to be doing."
 

"I know." She said. "I ..Spike, I hurt other people, didn't I? People that weren't vampires?"
 

Spike couldn't lie to her. "yeah pet, you did. But if it makes you feel better I think it was your survival instinct kicking in. I'm thinking you didn't know any better, did you?"
 

Dana shook her head. "Doesn't make it less wrong, though" she replied.
 

"You're talkin to the wrong person, pet. I think I have thousands over your body count," Spike retorted.
 

"Doesn't matter. You know how I feel," Dana stated insightfully.
 

Spike gave a deep sigh. "Yeah I do, luv." He looked over at her and they shared a look that was filled with mutual understanding.
 

Spike was beginning to get an uncomfortable feeling churning deep in his gut. That he wasn't being given a choice in this, that this had already been preordained. Was this the reason he was brought back? Why he was made corporeal again? He figured he was back to serve a higher purpose, was that purpose sitting next to him? If so, the powers that be had a fragmented sense of humor, sticking him with another bleedin slayer.
 

But whatever happened, this sure as hell beat sitting at that wanker Doyle's beck and call, being his kept boy. It felt nice to have someone need him again.
 

"Ok luv, the way this is going to play out is this. We're going to go into Angel's office and we're going to call Rupert Giles, " Spike started to explain.
 

"Buffy's watcher." Dana stated.
 

"Right. We'll suss this out with him, and figure out what to do with you. I want you to know that I'm not going to abandon you to those wankers. Also if anything frightens you, just let me know. Got that pet? Hopefully there won't be too many people there this time of night. Nobody there is going to hurt you. I won't them." Spike assured her, as they pulled into the Wolfram and Hart parking structure.
 

"I know. I trust you," Dana told him, giving him a small smile.
 

Spike shook his head. "Then you're one of the only ones" he said, ruefully.
 

"Buffy trusted you. Of all the emotions I felt from all of the slayers, that one was the strongest one. It was like it wrapped itself around me." she tried to explain. "It grounded me. It finally made me feel like it was safe to be me, if that makes sense. It's hard to explain."
 

"I think I got it. Don't worry, you don't need to explain yourself to me. Come on, let's go face Whelp Jr. and Peaches, get this bloody show on the road." he said, coming around to her side of the car and opening the door for her. He took her hand and led her to the elevator. She liked the feel of his cool hand entwined with hers, it made her feel safe.
 

Dana looked around at her surroundings, this is not what she was expecting from the vampire she knew as Angelus. She could not bring herself to let go of Spike's hand as they rode up the elevator, and clutched it tightly.
 

Spike didn't know how Angel had beaten them back, but there he was, seated in his throne. He was not alone in the room. Spike led Dana out of the elevator and towards the couch. There were two others present in the opulent room. Spike nodded to them.
 

"Dana, this is Wes, he also works here," Spike introduced.
 

Dana nodded slowly. "Right. One of Buffy's watchers. You're English."
 

She saw Wes's eyes widen in shock. "Extraordinary. Pleased to meet you." He watched her warily.

Obviously Angel and Andrew had just arrived and had not filled in the newcomers on the events of the evening. Wes wondered what events had led the girl to cling to Spike in this fashion.
 

"And this is Fred. You can trust her, she won't hurt you," Spike told Dana.
 

Fred gave the girl a small smile, and hesitantly put her hand out. "Hi"
 

Dana stared at the hand, then slowly reached out to shake it. "Hi" she said back, giving Fred her own small smile. Spike was right, she felt like she could trust this girl.
 

"And Angel and Andrew, you've had the not so great pleasure," he finished. "Now, can we call the Wankers Council sometime tonight?"
 

"I'd first like to know what happened tonight, if you don't mind, Dana." Wes asked.
 

Angel silently seconded that, he hadn't had a chance to grill Spike about what happened prior to his arrival in the basement.
 

Spike looked at Dana, who nodded her consent. "Right then. It went something like this. The girl tried to kill me, she didn't. The end. Call. Now.
 

"Spike!" Fred chided.
 

"It's complicated, all right?" he defended.
 

"I was lost." Dana suddenly announced. "I've been lost for years, protecting myself. Then I saw Spike through Buffy and knew I could trust him."
 

"You had a vision?" Wes questioned, incorrectly.
 

Dana shook her head. It was still hard to sort through all the images in her mind, but once she had let 'Dana' take over, things were becoming clearer. "I became her memories, I think. Buffy trusted Spike, knew he was good. I knew that I could too." It hurt Angel to hear that Spike had been the object of Buffy's trust, where he had been the object of her..fear? Spike couldn't help but shoot a smug look in Angel's direction, and was met with a hostile glare.
 

Understanding came over Wes. "So you remembered Buffy's memories, just like you did the other Slayers."
 

"No, not like theirs. Stronger. I lived them, her strongest memories."
 

"That's so cool!! Did you remember how I like, helped saved the world and all that?" Andrew injected. At Dana's blank look, he babbled, " Ok, I'm going to report in now. Cos that's what us Watcher types are supposed to do now, you know."
 

Dana looked at him, and recognition struck. "You're a nerd!"
 

Spike snorted. "Hey!! Not nice!" Andrew wailed.
 

"One of three nerds. You tried to kill Buffy." Dana said. The others pinned narrowed eyes on the boy in tweed.
 

"Well, um, ok. But I'm reformed! Just ask Spike!" Andrew insisted.
 

Spike rolled his eyes. "The boy's harmless. Annoying, but harmless. Let him make his call."
 

"Thanks Spike," Andrew said. "Well, not for calling me annoying, because I'm not. For defending me."
 

"Whatever. Make the bloody call."

Spike took Dana's hand again and led her to the couch and they both sat down on the leather cushions. Wes observed the way Dana clung to Spike's hand, curling up next to Spike on the couch. The girl was scared to death, he could tell. She had been abducted as a child, tortured, had spent years in a mental institution. Yet had chosen to trust this vampire. Astounding.
 

Andrew finally had gotten through to the watcher's council. "Mr. Giles?"
 

"Andrew, do you have the girl?" Giles asked him.
 

"Um, not exactly." Andrew admitted.
 

This didn't surprise Giles, he had been waiting for this phone call. It had been a gamble sending Andrew but Giles couldn't resist. Being able to tell Angel that he was putting his best man on it, then sending Andrew was too hilarious an opportunity for Giles to pass up.
 

"What, she got away from you?"
 

"Uh no. She's sitting right here. She said she doesn't want to come with us."
 

"What do you mean she said she doesn't want to come with you? I thought she was mentally unstable? You mean Angel didn't just send his team to shoot her full of tranquilizers? I was sure that was how he was going to approach it."
 

"Well, I think he was planning on it. But then, uh, Spike found her first."
 

"SPIKE??!!!" the room could hear Giles sputter on the other end. "What the bloody hell do you mean, Spike?"
"You know, Spike. Attractive manly blonde vampire, good cheekbones, cool leather coat? Saved the world? That Spike." Andrew explained almost reverently. After a few seconds, he held the phone out to Angel. "Giles wants to talk to you."
 

"Great." Angel muttered, taking the phone from the boy. "Giles" he said in way of greeting.
 

"Spike is back? Care to explain how this happened??" Giles asked.
 

"We don't really know. The amulet I gave Buffy was sent back to us, and Spike's ghost was released. He haunted the shit out of us. But he just recently became corporeal again. We don't know how or why, we just know he's the thing that won't go away. "Angel explained.
 

"So what does he have to do with this slayer?"
 

"He found her."
 

"AND?"
 

"And what?"
 

"Bloody hell Angel, you really can be thick headed, can't you?" Giles exclaimed."Put Wesley on, maybe I can manage to speak with someone with a brain."
 

"Fine." Angel held the phone to Wesley.
 

"Bloody musical phones," Spike said under his breath. Dana heard him and gave him a smile.
 

"Hello Rupert." Wes greeted the man on the phone.
 

"Wesley. I must say, I'm a little confused here. Could you please enlighten me as to what happened over there?"
 

"Well, I just found out about it myself. Apparently Dana has been experiencing Slayer memories for sometime now, but they weren't making any sense to her. When Spike found her tonight, it appears that Dana experienced Buffy's memories and decided to trust Spike Right now she appears lucid, but scared," Wes had moved across the room with the phone and was speaking in low tones so the new slayer couldn't hear the conversation.
 

"She won't seem to let anybody close to her, but Spike. Not even Angel. As far as anything else goes, I wasn't there and I haven't heard what happened. I suggest you talk to Spike to get the rest of the story." Wes advised.
 

Giles sighed. It always seemed to come back to Spike. He was like a bad penny. But, Giles reminded himself, he did sacrifice himself to save the world. Maybe I'm not being quite fair to him. He was glad Buffy wasn't there, this was hard enough to deal with. He knew he would have to face her later, however.
"Thank you Wesley. Could you put Spike on the line? I might as well get this over with."
 

Spike's eyebrow quirked up when Wesley crossed the room to hand him the cordless phone. "Watcher. Long time." he drawled.
 

"Spike... Welcome back." Giles attempted, not able to mask the sarcastic edge in his voice.
 

Spike gave a short bark of laughter. "Right. Now, what do you want?" He sensed the tension in Dana, and let go of her hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, holding her close. She dropped her forehead onto his shoulder and closed her eyes. She was exhausted. And filthy. She wanted this to end so at the very least she could go wash her face. She could feel the dried blood cracking on her skin, and it sent chills through her, knowing where the blood came from.
 

"Spike, I just want to know what happened to my slayer tonight."
 

"Your slayer? Wow, you've done a knock up job of taking care of the girl so far," Spike taunted.
 

"We didn't know about her, ok?" Giles felt himself getting agitated. Damn Spike. He always knew just exactly how to push his buttons. "Could you please just inform me what happened?"
 

"As far as I could tell, the slayer memories just about put the girl out of her gourd. She flipped, tried to kill me then got Buffy's memories. She knows who you are, Watcher." Spike explained.
 

Giles interest piqued. Well, this was good news. If she knew him, that should makes things easier.
"Is it possible for me to talk to her, Spike?"
 

"That's what you wankers should have done right from the start, instead of playing bloody pass the phone. We could have all been home by now." he grumbled as he held the phone to Dana. She looked at it with fear.
 

"It's ok, pet. Giles wants to talk to you," Spike said soothingly.
 

She took the phone with trepidation. Haltingly, she said "He..hello?"
 

"Dana? This is Rupert Giles. Do you know who I am?"
 

"Buffy's watcher." she replied. She burrowed closer to Spike, as if borrowing his strength.
 

"That's right, Buffy's watcher. I am now the head of the Council in England. We have a school for untrained slayers here. I would like very much for you to come to this school and train. What do you think of that?" Giles asked.
 

"No." came the quick reply.
 

"No? Is there a reason why not?"
 

"I don't want to go. I'm with Spike, and I'm safe. I don't know if I want to be a slayer and I don't know if I want to go to England. It scares me "she tried to explain in halting tones.
 

"Well, Spike may not be here. But I'll be here, and so will Buffy. We'll help you," Giles announced in a soothing tone.
 

Spike could sense the tension increasing in Dana. "No, I can't. I'm sorry. I don't want to go anywhere right now..." she couldn't finish, tears flooded her eyes and sobs choked her throat.
 

Spike grabbed the phone from her and yelled "Bloody hell Giles! Where the hell is your brain?!! The girl just got her marbles back, why don't you just back off and give her some space?"
 

Giles was taken aback. This was a development he had not foreseen. He had sincerely thought the slayer school would be the perfect place for this girl to heal. but now he realized he had been wrong. He had pushed the girl, without giving thought to what her mental state was. Suddenly an idea came to him.
"Spike, I apologize. Please tell her I'm sorry. And I'm about to ask you something that I can't believe I'm even entertaining."
 

"Just spit it out Watcher."
 

"An idea has come to me. Would you be willing to stay and help this girl?" Giles asked.
 

"What the bleedin hell do you think I am? I'm not about to abandon her." Spike retorted heatedly.
 

"I am quite certain I am making a big mistake here but I feel like I have to ask. Would you be willing to stay there and be Dana's Watcher?" Giles asked.
 

The other occupants in the room stared in stunned silence when the  vampire threw back his head and roared with laughter. The phone dropped unnoticed out of his hand in his fit of hysteria.
It took him a few minutes to get himself back under control. "oh sorry about that. That was bleedin hilarious." He apologized to the shocked observers. He picked the phone back up. "Giles, you still there?"


"Yes, you tosser. Am I going to get an answer? Trust me, it killed me to ask you," Giles ground out.
 

"Don't gets your knickers in a twist mate. Hold on, let me ask the girl. It should be her decision," Spike said.
 

He dropped the phone down and stared down into Dana's face. With a smirk, he said "Well luv, what would you say to ole Spike here being your Watcher?"

TBC..

R/R please!!
Disclaimer-I do not own these characters, I'm just borrowing them.
Chapter 4

Dana just stared at Spike in confusion and shock. She needed a Watcher? It was the first time she had fully realized that she could have a purpose in life now. She had been chosen, she was now a slayer. She was here for a reason. She wasn't a victim anymore, there was no need to hide inside her mind as she had done for years. She could be whole once again. She barely remembered the time before her nightmare began, but she did remember that she once been happy and whole. She desperately craved that again. Dana's mind came to one clear conclusion, she wanted to explore this slayer side of her, she needed too. And she desperately needed Spike to help show her the way.
 

She looked into his brilliant blue eyes and felt an overwhelming sense of confidence in this blonde vampire.

"Yes. I think I need you to be my Watcher," she whispered, brown eyes tearing up.
 

Spike gave her a look that she was not able to decipher. He spoke into the phone "Did ya hear that, Rupert? Guess the ole council has themselves a new wanker. How about you fill me in on the details tomorrow? Some of us need our beauty rest, y'no."
 

"What are you going to do with the girl tonight Spike?" Giles asked.
 

"I'll leave that up to her," Spike replied.
 

"Spike... take care of her? I think she needs it." Gile's surprised the vampire by saying.
 

"No Rupert, i don't think she needs it, I know she does," Spike retorted. "If you need to get a hold of us, give ole Peaches a ring, he'll know where we are. Oh and mate? Brilliant move on sending your top guy here. That was a kicker."
 

Giles snickered, glad someone could appreciate the gesture for the joke it was. "I do try to do my best, you know. Listen, Spike, I don' t exactly know the girl's mental state right now, but I think you both are going to have a tough road ahead of you. She may appear to be lucid right now, but we can't guarantee she will stay that way. I wish you luck." Spike knew there were more words of caution Giles wished to impart, but he wisely held his tongue.
 

"Rupes, I handled Dru for over 100 years, I think I can handle one recently returned from the cuckoo's nest Slayer. We'll talk tomorrow. Ta." And he hung up the phone.
 

Across the ocean, Giles got up and walked over to the mini bar in his office to pour himself a drink. He never drank in the morning, but then he had never had to ask Spike to be a Watcher before either. He shuddered at the memory.
 

If he had to be honest with himself, he would admit that Spike was actually a good choice for Dana. No, not just good, almost perfect. He had been correct, he had taken care of his insane vampire girlfriend for a century. If this girl went psychotic again, Spike had the strength to control her. He also possessed the necessary skills to train her in fighting and weapons. And once he put his mind to it and committed himself to someone, he was fiercely loyal. He was, as Buffy had tried to get him to see, a good man. Giles groaned, not believing that he was finally admitting that fact to himself. Hell, he saved the world, I guess I can finally cut him some slack. At the thought of having to deal with Spike on a continuous basis, he took the decanter and poured a healthy amount of the amber liquid into his tumbler. He may have finally admitted Spike had some good qualities, that sure as hell didn't mean he had to like it.

"It's not fair!! Why did Mr. Giles ask you to be her Watcher? I've been training and everything!!" Andrew wailed, crossing his arms in front of him as he sat on Angel's desk.
 

Spike didn't have the heart to tell the boy that him this girl could eat him alive. He'd been amazed when he heard Andrew standing up to Angel, and oddly, proud. He'd come a long way from the sniveling little shit tied up at Buffy's house.
 

Wanting to get the evening wrapped up, he said to Angel, "Peaches, you got some place the girl can hang her hat for the night?" Spike asked Angel.
 

"She can stay at my place, " Fred offered. " I have a guest room."
 

Dana offered the pretty girl a grateful smile. She darted a look in Spike's direction. "He can stay too, I have a comfy couch." Fred added.
 

Dana nodded her head in gratitude. It bothered Angel the way the slayer was clasping on to the other vampire, but he was glad that Spike would be there if Fred needed protection against the girl.
 

"I'm taking the Pontiac again, Peaches," Spike informed Angel.
 

Angel sighed in exasperation. "Fine whatever. Take the car."
 

"I wasn't askin for permission, you ponce," Spike replied with a smirk.
 

Angel directed a nasty glare in the bleached blonde's direction, and Spike smirked. His mission for the night was complete. He had managed to naff off his poofy sire, yet again. It was just too easy.
 

"We'll follow you to your place, ducks," Spike announced to Fred.
 

"Ok. I'll just get my coat. It's in my office. I'll meet you in the parking garage," She replied, leaving Angel's office to make her way back to her lab.
 

"I don't want to see a scratch on my car tomorrow, Spike. I mean it," Angel threatened.
 

"Wouldn't dream of it, Peaches," Spike jeered. He grabbed Dana's hand and headed for the elevator.
 

"Night all," he tossed back.

Angel let out a long drawn out sigh when the elevator doors closed on the couple. Wes turned to him and asked, "Do you think it's wise that Spike is involved in all of this?"
 

"I don't think anything about Spike is wise. But I don't think we have a choice in the matter." Angel commented.
 

"Well, I can talk to Giles, and maybe once this girl gets a little more trusting, we can ease Spike out of the picture," Wesley suggested.
 

"You won't be able too. Trust me, I know. When he decides to stand by somebody, he's like velcro. This girl thinks Spike is her champion, he won't let that go easily." Angel explained.
 

"He is a champion," Andrew announced, with a slight dreamy look on his face.
 

"Spike? Please." Jealousy ate at Angel. "It was supposed to be me down there in the Hellmouth, you know. Not Spike."
 

"Besides, he just did it for Buffy, right?" Wes added.
 

Andrew shook his head, as he realized these two were clueless as to what happened before the battle with the First. "Wow, you really DON'T know him, do you? Well then, my friends, take a seat, and let me take you on a most unusual tale, a tale of a ...Vampyr." He gestured for the others to make themselves comfortable as he assumed his favorite lecture pose, a superior look gracing his face.
 

"This tale begins with a crazy Vampyr living in a school basement, becoming sane only when needed to help the woman he loved. He helped fight her demons, while trying to fight his own. He was rescued from this basement, which had been built over the Hellmouth, by said love of his life and her trusty sidekick. The one I like to call...... the Carpenter. They took this guilt stricken insane Vampyr to the Carpenter's apartment, where he lived in a closet size bedroom. But wait, this was not happily ever after, gentleman. And uh, Vampyr. No, this was just the beginning."
 

Andrew looked over to his audience, and warmed to his tale. "For no insane Vampyr could survive living in the bowels of the Hellmouth without becoming affected. The First Evil took control of this poor demon's mind, making him kill again. Unaffected by his chip, he killed and turned, and the Vampyr known as Spike, had no idea this was happening. Said love of his love, the one we like to call....... Buffy, discovered this was happening and helped the Vampyr instead of staking him.  Again, happily ever after? Not a chance. The First had brainwashed this Vampyr with a song, once heard, our Spike became a killer. He tried to kill Buffy, but managed to stop himself in time. Then our heroine said she would help Spike. She took him home with her, chained him up in her basement. Defended him to her friends and watcher, told him she believed in him. It was about this time that Yours Truly became a part of the Scooby Gang."

At their looks, he clarified, "Ok, they took me hostage, but I was a good guy! I swear! But then our Vampyr was taken by the First, and Buffy was bombarded with the first of the potentials and learned what it was she was facing. Oh, the girl knew she couldn't do it alone. She knew she needed her Spike. She kicked major ass and brought the poor broken tortured Vampyre back home to heal."


He gave a dramatic pause, and continued. "This Vampyr helped train her army of Potentials, but the whole time, knowing he had a trigger to become a killer hung over all of their heads. Mr. Giles told Buffy she was being foolish to trust him, but our heroine refused to listen. She listened to heart, not her head. Even when his chip malfunctioned and was threatening his life, she didn't give up on this damaged demon. She had it removed, much to Mr. Giles disbelief. She knew his soul would keep him from killing again. Well, non First killing anyway, " he clarified at their confused looks.


Angel had refused to listen to anything that had happened prior to Spike showing up in his office, he hadn't want to know. But know he felt like he had to listen, but it didn't mean he had to like it. It meant that he would probably have to change his opinion of Spike, and the concept of a Good Spike was too hard for Angel's brain to handle.
 

Wes listened in fascination, his Watcher's brain turning these revelations over. Spike truly was remarkable, he thought.
 

"When it became known that the new principal of the high school was the son of the New York slayer Nikki Wood, the second slayer Spike had killed, things got a little sticky. In an attempt to deactivate the trigger, Mr. Giles tried some coven mojo on him that almost led to disastrous results. Mr Giles and Robin Wood put together a plan to kill Spike "for Buffy's own good." That backfired, Buffy found out about it, and in the process Spike got detriggered from the First Evil. So there he was, detriggered and dechipped, faced with a man who almost killed him. What did he do, you ask? Well, the important thing is that the Vampyr let the principal live, and Buffy in a fit of anger, chose her Vampyr over her Watcher."
 

"Could you please stop calling Spike her vampire?" Angel complained.
 

"Hey, I'm the narrator here. Do you want me to continue or what?"
 

"Unfortunately, yes," Angel grumbled, knowing he had to hear the rest, even though jealousy ate through him.
 

"Ok, where was I before I was so rudely interrupted? Oh right. So then we have Faith thrown into the mix, things were tense because Gile's tried to kill Buffy's Vampyr, and a new First Evil threat has come to town. Buffy and the Potentials jump into the fray, get their asses kicked, Xander loses an eye and worst of all, everyone has lost their confidence in Buffy's leadership. Spike and I were sent on a mission by Mr Giles, so we missed this part, but apparently Buffy was tossed out of her own house."
 

"What?!" Angel asked incredulously.
 

"Yes, my friends, it's true. They kicked her out, the Potentials, her friends, even her sister. Buffy just gave up then. Spike and I came back to find her gone, then he kicked Faith's ass and told everybody how wrong they were, that they were a bunch of traitors. He went to go find his girl, and whatever he said to her must have been masterful. For our heroine was ready to kick ass when Faith led the girls into a trap the very next day. It was then that everyone realized how wrong they had been about Buffy. But Spike had been the only one who stood by her. I was kind of,uh, eavesdropping on their conversation when she was telling him about finding the scythe thingie that allowed her to slice and dice the Turok-han, and Spike must have said some really heavy stuff to her that night." Andrew sniffled. "I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it, it was so romantic. She told him that she wouldn't be holding that scythe if it wasn't for him, for the courage he gave her the previous night. Then he told her it had been the best night of his life, and all he had done was hold her." Andrew pulled out a handkerchief and blew his nose loudly. "Sorry, I'm getting choked up thinking about it. It was the sweetest thing I'd ever heard. Then they parted ways, Buffy had mentioned finding something on sacred ground."
 

Angel gave a start. He realized he had bumped into Buffy right after that. No wonder she smelled like Spike, she had spent the night with him. It also made it more clear to him why she had chosen Spike over him. For the first time, he was beginning to feel gratitude towards his childe. He really had been there for Buffy in a way Angel had never been.
 

"Then during the final battle, Spike saved us all. I almost didn't make it, Anya saved me. Buffy said she tried to get Spike to leave, that he'd done enough, but he wouldn't because he had to make sure it was finished. He was a hero that day. He died for us all." Tears started streaming down Andrew's face, and he openly bawled. "And I never thought I'd see him again. And now he's here.." he couldn't finish, his sobs taking over.
 

Andrew and Wesley just stared at the boy. There had been so much they had not seen, that they had not wanted to see. But hearing Andrew's version of the time before Sunnydale became a crater in the ground had opened their eyes. However they had sensed the veiled homosexual undertones that Andrew displayed toward the blonde vamp, so perhaps his story was a little Spike biased.
 

"Well this sucks," Angel finally grumbled.


Wesley looked at him in surprise. "What does?"
 

"This. Now I have to admit that maybe Spike is a Champion." Angel explained, strangely moved by the story. He knew Spike had been capable of being more man than demon before he got his soul. He didn't want to think of what Spike might be capable of now that he had his soul intact. Angel knew, as Angelus, he was basically pure demon, not much human emotion evident there. Spike would never be split like that, a human soul would just add to the humanity that was already inside him.

Andrew blew his nose loudly again. "Well, gentleman, with the conclusion of that tale of the Vampyr, I bid you a good night. I'll be at my hotel if you need me."
 

"I'm leaving too. I'll see you in the morning, Angel," Wesley announced, making his way to the elevator.
 

Angel was finally alone. "This really sucks," he muttered, standing to make his way to his penthouse. " Damn you Spike."

TBC..



Chapter 5

Giles was nursing his second drink of the morning, as he sat in the office he now occupied. The new Watcher's Council had been rebuilt almost from scratch, and was now encased in a huge converted warehouse in an industrial part of town. Half of the building was the Slayer School, complete with an impressive array of training equipment. The Watchers, Watchers-In-Training and slayers all worked from the same building now. Things were a lot different now, Giles and Buffy had seen to that. The days of shady dealings and Quentin Travers were thankfully long gone. In its place was an institution of high standards, good communication and hard training. Thank god the bank codes hadn't been destroyed in the explosion, so Giles had no trouble accessing the Council's hefty bank accounts.
 

Giles knew Buffy would be coming into work any minute, and was not looking forward to the task at hand. He had specifically not extended the invitation to Spike to follow this slayer to England, because quite frankly, he didn't want him around Buffy again. Instead he had offered the vampire a Watcher's job. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, but  the reason behind it was selfish. If he could keep Spike in LA and occupied, he didn't have to think about Spike coming for Buffy. He had come to these realizations while he had been staring at the bottom of his nearly empty glass. It didn't make him proud of himself, but Giles felt it was necessary. Buffy was finally moving on. She was finally coming out of the funk that had surrounded her since that day Sunnydale became a hole in the ground. She was helping him with the school, and while Giles knew he was playing God again, he couldn't help himself. He was, after all, still her Watcher.


He heard the door to her office slam open as she put down her things. "Hi Giles! I'm here!" She called to him.
 

With a long suffering sigh, Giles stood up and moved to the door. Might as well get this unpleasantness over with.
 

As he entered her office, he realized for the first time just how thin she had gotten. She had been thin before the final battle, but now she was downright gaunt. It pained him to realize he hadn't even noticed. There was a dull look to her eyes, and she looked tired.
 

"Buffy I need to talk to you," Giles began.
 

"What's up? Didn't Andrew find the loony Slayer?" Buffy asked.
 

"What? Oh yes, he did. But there is something else. I don't know how to tell you, I just found out," he tried to explain.
 

"Giles, just say it."
 

"It's about Spike," Giles caught the look of pain that flared through her eyes at the mention of the vampire's name.
 

"What about him?" Buffy asked quietly. Even after all this time, she still felt like she had to defend her feelings toward the blonde vampire. And it was damn hard.
 

"He's alive, Buffy" he revealed.
 

Buffy's head snapped up, her heart hammering in her chest. "What do you mean he's alive?" she ground out.
 

"Well, not alive, alive. Undead. He's back." Giles explained.
 

"How" Buffy uttered, shock evident in her voice.
 

"Angel's not quite sure."
 

"Angel KNEW?? And he didn't tell me????" Buffy's trust in Angel was shattered by that news.
 

"Apparently, the amulet you gave him was returned to Wolfram and Hart, and Spike's ghost was released from it. His essence had been trapped in it when he burned up in the Hellmouth," he didn't catch Buffy wince at his words. "Not too long ago, his ghostly self became corporeal again. Nobody knows how or why he was brought back." Giles attempted to explain.
 

"So he's in LA, with Angel, and they didn't bother to tell me?" Buffy announced. Hurt and anger poured through her. "I don't believe this!"
 

"There's more. Spike found our slayer. Apparently she was ready to kill him, but then somehow she tapped into your memories and somehow he became her Knight in Shining Armor. She's lucid, when she's with Spike. Won't let anyone else near her, Wesley said." Giles continued.
 

Buffy was surprised at the jolt of jealousy that shot through her at the mention of the other slayer being with Spike.
 

"I don't believe this," Buffy muttered. All these months of pain, feeling like a part of her was missing, and he was ALIVE. Suddenly she was furious.
 

"So, when is he bringing her here?" Buffy asked.
 

"Uh, well, you see, I don't invite him to England. I asked Dana, the slayer, she said no," Giles stuttered.
 

"That makes no sense. You said she wasn't crazy when he was with her, why would you want to mess with that?" Buffy asked, confused.
 

~Because I didn't want him here in England~ Giles wished he could say to her.
 

"Well, you see, I inquired if perhaps Spike would be willing to stay in LA with her, and be her.. uh, Watcher." Giles finished.
 

Buffy just stared at him in amazement. "You did WHAT??!!!"
 

" Buffy, I really think it's for the best. The girl was scared to come here, and Spike is more than adequate to train her. We've got enough on our plate without adding that to the mix," Giles retorted.
 

"What did he say?" Buffy asked.
 

"Well, he asked the girl first. She appeared to be quite taken with the idea. He did laugh at me, however,. So I can assure you that Spike hasn't changed much."
 

Yes, he would laugh, Buffy thought. But deep inside, he was mostly likely proud that Giles had asked him. He had always tried to hide his happiness when he was asked to be part of the group. To be a Watcher, in Spike's eyes, would mean self-respect. And Buffy knew that was important to him, no matter how much he tried to show differently.
 

"Giles, I'm going to LA," she informed him.
 

Giles closed his eyes, as irritation passed through him. His attempts at keeping the two apart had been for nothing. But another part of him whispered that it wasn't up to him to play God over their lives. He'd already done that, when he'd conspired with Wood to kill Spike, and it had turned around and backfired on him. It had taken a long time for Buffy to forgive him for that deception.
 

"I think that's a good idea, but perhaps you should give Spike some time to work with the girl before you show up. You are bound to be a distraction. This slayer sounds a little fragile mentally," Giles conceded.
 

Buffy thought about this. "Ok, I'll give it a few days, then I'm flying to LA. Is Andrew coming back?"
 

"I'm not sure, that wasn't discussed. It is night there now, I'll clear up those details later. Buffy I'm sorry you had to find out like this. I'm quite certain that there was a reason they didn't tell you he was back."
 

"Oh don't worry, they will pay for that." Buffy assured him, her face grim. "Please don't tell them that you told me, OK?" Giles nodded his understanding.
 

The joy she felt at hearing about Spike was tainted with anger at the deception. She had been miserable without him. Every night she woke up, living the same nightmare of seeing Spike being consumed by the amulet's power. She had trouble sleeping, she had to force herself to eat, force herself to keep living. Oh yes, someone was going to pay.
 

"I gotta go pound something," Buffy muttered, leaving the room.
 

When Dawn found her an hour later, Buffy's face with streaked with sweat, and she was throwing punches at a bag with a crudely drawn picture of what appeared to be Beavis and Butthead with fangs, one blonde one brunette.
 

"So uh, what did Beavis and Butthead do to piss you off?" Dawn asked.
 

"Not Beavis and Butthead," Buffy pouted. " Angel and Spike, "
 

"Huh?"
 

"You haven't talked to Giles then?" Buffy stopped punching the bag and unwrapped her hands.
 

"No, I just came by to see you before school,"Dawn answered. "And you forgot your lunch too, so thought I'd drop it by."
 

"Oh, and it doesn't have anything to do with a certain cutie Watcher in training, now does it?" Buffy teased.
 

"Well... maybe a little," Dawn admitted. "So what is this about?" Pointing to the punching bag.
 

"Spike is alive," Buffy announced.
 

"Freakin WHAT???" Dawn yelled.
 

"He's in LA, with Angel. The amulet was sent back to him, and Spike went all Casper. They don't know how. Then I guess he came back to life. Well, came back to unlife. He's been helping Angel," Buffy tried to explain.
 

Dawn tried to absorb Buffy's words. then she started to giggle. At Buffy's perplexed look, she explained, "I bet Spike been bugging the living shit out of Angel."
 

Buffy thought about that, and knowing the rivalry and feelings that ran between the two vampires, she could just imagine the truth behind Dawn's words.
 

"Oh yeah, I'm sure Spike drove him bonkers," starting to snicker herself. She soon found herself in a full on laughing fit, and damn it felt good. It had been a long time since she had found anything truly laugh worthy.
 

After a few minutes, Dawn told Buffy she had to get to school. Buffy had to suppress the urge to place a long distance phone call to Los Angeles. No, she would wait. She wanted to see Spike's face in person, and didn't want to prepare him over the phone for her imminent arrival. She had to know. She had to see if Spike still had feelings for her, and Buffy knew the best way to be able to read Spike was to surprise him.
Suddenly things seemed brighter, and she looked around at her slayer school through a different eye. This was something for her to be proud of. After Spike had helped her train the SIT's and been there by her side, she knew he would have loved to see this. And if she had anything to do with it, he WOULD be getting a chance to see what had been accomplished.
 

Then another thought struck her, and she burst into giggles again. Spike was a Watcher now. Oh how the mighty have fallen!! Buffy was still chuckling when the first of the slayers arrived to begin their day of training. Always so serious, they wondered what had brought this lighthearted change to their teacher. Whatever it was, they hoped it was there to stay.

TBC...


Chapter 6

Spike and Dana followed Fred through the city streets towards her apartment. He was glad to get away from Angel and the others, and he knew Dana needed some time to herself. They had not spoken since they had met the scientist in the parking garage.
 

" How do you know Fred?" she finally asked.
Spike sent a startled glance her way. He had been deep in his own thoughts and wasn't prepared for the sound of her voice. "I don't, really. You know what happened to me, right? When I died? Well, the second time anyway."
 

"Yes, you saved the world and Buffy told you she loved you."
 

Spike's undead heart clenched at those words, how he wished they had been true. "Right. Well, someone sent the bauble to Peaches."
 

"Why do you call him Peaches?" Dana interrupted.
 

Spike thought about that. "I'm not sure. because it annoys him, and it fits. Anyway, I came back a ghost and Fred was the only one who cared enough to help me become real again. She's a good girl. I think you two birds have a lot in common."
 

Dana did not reply to that. Spike followed as Fred pulled into a modest looking apartment complex, she signaled for him to park in her designated space in a covered carport.
 

When they reached her front door, Spike held back. "Come on in, Spike." Fred called over her shoulder, and the barrier was lifted. He walked in and took a look around the place. It was fairly good size, modestly furnished and there were books everywhere. It seemed suited to Fred's personality.
 

"I don't suppose you have anything for Dana to change into, do you ducks?" he asked Fred.
 

Fred gave the bigger girl an accessing glance. "I am sure I can find something."
 

She went into her bedroom and came back with an oversized pair of sweat pants and a T-shirt. "Sorry, this is about all I can find."
 

Dana just nodded. She wanted to bolt from this apartment. This trying to live in the real world is too hard, she thought panic-stricken. 'I can't do this." Fear started overwhelming here, and her slayer defense mechanism tried taking over. She had to get out of here before she hurt somebody.
 

Spike sensed the emotions rolling off of her, having had years of practice dealing with Dru, said in a soothing voice, "It's OK. I know this seems strange and foreign, but nobody here is going to hurt you."
 

Dana took a deep breath, and nodded slowly. She felt some of the tension leave her, and felt more in control. But that episode had shaken her badly. She was not as in control of herself as she thought she was.
 

"Now, this is what you're going to do. You're going to go into Fred's bathroom, you're going to take a shower and wash your hair. You're going to get cleaned up, then put these clean clothes on. If you need any help, it's going to be me that's going to be helping you, do you have a problem with that?" Spike informed her, knowing that giving her a purpose would go a long way in calming her down.
 

"I can help her," Fred offered.
 

Spike shook his head, his eyes not leaving Dana's. "No, I don't want to risk it. Dana understands this, don't you?"
 

Dana nodded her head sadly. "I don't want to hurt anyone else." She whispered. It had scared her how close she had come to losing control again. Buffy was right, Spike always knows what was going on people's minds.
 

"And you won't. If you feel the need to throw some punches, throw them my way. Believe me, I'm used to it." Spike joked.
 

"Yeah, I know."
 

"Ok, so we understand each other, right pet? "Spike asked. "Cos I'm tellin ya right now, I don't want to have to tip toe around this. I need some time to trust you, we all do."
 

"SPIKE!" Fred uttered in horror, shocked at his bluntness.
 

"No it's ok. he's right. Yes, we understand each other," Dana replied.
 

"Right then, go take your shower. Get that war paint off your face. Maybe Fred has some girlie stuff you can slather on," he told her, leading her to the bathroom that he saw from the living room. "Is this bathroom ok Freddie luv?"
 

"Yes, I'll just get some towels." She handed them through, and Dana closed the door. Spike stood outside the door keeping guard. He knew that Fred had been shocked at his blunt words, but it had to be said. You didn't  came come from that side of the loony bin without some kind of set back. And a set back with her could prove to be fatal.
 

15 minutes later, a new girl emerged. This one looked years younger, innocent, and scared. The clothes Fred had loaned her were a little big, accenting her vulnerability.
 

"Feel better, luv?" Spike asked.
 

"Much better." Dana admitted, and she did. It had been the most liberating shower she had ever taken, she felt like she was washing the layers of her past off. And in a way, she had.


"Come on, let's go raid Freddie girl's pantry. I bet you're feeling a bit peckish," Spike announced, leading her towards the kitchen.
 

"What? Peckish?"
 

"Oh pet, we have got to educate you on the finer points of the English language," Spike admonished.
 

"No Spike, that's slang," Fred informed him. "I didn't know what you liked, so I just fixed some sandwiches."
 

"I'm not really sure," Dana admitted, "what I like."
"Huh." Spike grunted, looking at her. "Well then, consider yourself back from a very long vacation and now you get to experience these things again. It'll be like an adventure."
 

The threesome sat in Fred's kitchen eating sandwiches and chips, and Dana was able to recall more memories from before she was abducted. She told them halting bits of what she remembered. Her agitation returned when she recalled her abduction. She told them she thought she managed to escape after a few weeks, but it was like a dream. The whole time living at the asylum, a dream. Then the nightmares of the slayers starting mixing with what she thought was a dream, and then she remembered waking up but she didn't wake up to her. Everything had been hazy up until the moment right before she tried to kill Spike. Then the Buffy memories and for the first time, clarity.
 

Fred listened in fascination, this poor girl had gone through so much. "I was lost too, once." She admitted to her.
 

Dana gave her a sharp look and asked "You were?"
 

Fred nodded. "I was in an alternate dimension for 5 years, I was a cow."
 

"Say what?" Spike asked.
 

"A slave cow. I belonged to somebody on Pylea."
 

"How did you get back?" Dana asked.
 

Fred got a dreamy smile on her face and said "Angel saved me."
 

At Spike's snort, she glared at him. "He did!!"
 

"Knight in bloody Shining Armor, he is." Spike drawled.
 

"He was. I had been there for 5 years, all alone in a demon dimension, and then he swooped in and saved me. Granted, he was there to rescue Cordelia, but he brought me back here with them." Fred continued.
 

Dana had a perplexed look on her face. "I thought vampires were bad. Why do you and Angel go around saving people?"
 

Spike wanted to shout to her that he was nothing like Angel, but he didn't want to confuse her. So he answered, "Vampires are bad, don't let yourself think otherwise. Angel and I are the only two vampires who have our souls back, it makes us feel guilt and remorse. That is what makes us different."
 

Dana still looked confused. "But, didn't you help people before you got your soul back?"
 

"Er, yeah, I guess I did. But I did that to help Buffy, my reasons were selfish." He told her.
 

"But when Angel didn't have his soul, he didn't act like you, did he?" Dana asked.
 

"No, he didn't. What can I say luv, I've always been a soft touch. Just don't either of you go repeatin that." he warned.
 

"My lips are sealed," Fred teased. "Come on Dana, let me show you where you can sleep." Spike followed the two women, his instincts told him that Dana was ok now, but he didn't want to take any chances with Fred.
 

Dana slipped into the bed, exhausted. She had requested that a light be left on, she didn't want to be left in the dark. She was asleep in minutes.
 

Spike and Fred walked back to the kitchen, reclaiming their seats.
 

"Do you think she's going to be ok?" Fred asked him.
 

"Yeah, I think so. She's been through a lot though, that's not something you just get over in a day." Spike answered.
 

"Why do you think Buffy's memories were so intense about you, but yet didn't reveal that Angel had returned with his soul? " Fred questioned. Angel must have told her about that, he thought.
 

Spike was silent for a minute. He was glad to have someone to talk to about this, because that very fact had been bothering him.
 

"I'm not sure. But I'm getting the uncomfortable feeling that the Powers That Be are mucking around in this." he finally said. "To have that whole saga of Buffy's life absent, it's almost as if they didn't want to confuse Dana's feelings. Because you know Buffy had strong feelings for Angel, and those wouldn't be missing in her life saga if it wasn't manipulated in some way," It hurt him to think of Buffy and Angel. Move on, man, thinking of her will get you nowhere.
 

Fred absorbed this as she got up to tidy the kitchen. "I think you may be right. Maybe they wanted her to trust you? Wanted to make sure she chose the right Champion?"
 

Spike started, he would never get used to being called a Champion. "That's what I'm thinking. So I guess I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, playing right into their hands."
 

"Where have you been staying Spike? Since you became corporeal?" she asked.
 

"It's not important. I'm ready to move on." Then he started laughing again. "I can't bloody well believe I agreed to be a bleedin Watcher!"
 

"Well, you've got a challenge in front of you, that's for sure. Not only do you have to train her to be a slayer, but she pretty much is missing her entire child and young adult hood. She has a lot to learn. I'm offering my help whenever you both need it," Fred announced.
 

"I think she needs a friend. Well she will when I can be sure she won't go all psycho and bone saw us all to pieces," he told her.
 

Fred smiled. "I can do that. I like her. She reminds me of me when I came back from Pylea. I hid in my room for months, I couldn't look or talk to anybody. Angel had to save me again."
 

"Well, that's one thing the grand Poof did right, then. You're quite the girl. I'm glad I have you helping me on this," Spike said. "And with that disgusting piece of sentiment, I think I will take myself to bed. Been a long night. You got some sheets laying around, luv? For the couch and some for the windows? Don't fancy waking up a pile of dust in the morning. Messes up the carpet"
 

Morning came. The night had not passed uneventful, Spike had woken up to the sounds of Dana's screams. She was in the throes of a nightmare, and Spike was hesitant to wake her. Luckily, she knew where she was and didn't try to stake him. She did insist that he spend the rest of the night holding her, and Spike obliged her.
 

It was nice holding somebody again, somebody warm and grateful for his presence. But it made him miss Buffy, and tears started to roll down his face. Whenever his thoughts would roll around to his slayer, he never allowed himself to indulge in them, but the feel of Dana against him made it hard to resist. Should he have gone to see her? He had been on his way, but something had stopped him. Had that something been part of this great master plan of the Powers That Be? The uncomfortable feeling he had, that this was meant to be, was growing stronger.
 

'Deal with it in the morning then' he thought to himself, and fell back asleep.
 

Fred woke up first in the morning, she padded quietly to the kitchen, trying to not wake up the vampire sleeping on her couch. But she noted he wasn't there. The guest room door was ajar, and Fred looked in. Spike was lying on top of the covers, still dressed minus his boots, and Dana lay with her face buried in his shoulder. He had one arm wrapped around her protectively. Fred had heard the screams coming from the room during the night, obviously Spike had stayed with her after that.
 

She went into the kitchen and made coffee. A few minutes later, Spike stumbled his way to the bar stool and threw himself down.
 

"Mornin" he mumbled.
 

"Good morning! " she replied, perkily. She handed him a mug of coffee, and he took it gratefully.
 

"So is Dana ok?" she asked.
 

"Yeah. Nothing happened, all right?" Spike felt the need to explain to her, knowing that she had looked into the room earlier.
 

"Well, the fact that you had all your clothes on and were on top of the covers, I would say a big fat DUH," she replied, rolling her eyes at him. "You don't need to justify yourself to me, you know. I trust you too."
 

Spike looked taken aback. "Sorry, just used to people jumping to the wrong conclusions about me, tis all,"
 

"Not this girl. I think I got to know the real you when you were all ghosty. You saved my life, remember? Sacrificed your one chance to be real to save me? Ring any bells? You're one of the good guys," Fred told him.
 

A flash of pleasure rolled through him at her words, but he lifted his eyebrow and gave her a sardonic look. "Bite your tongue! I'm evil, don't you forget it."
 

Fred rolled her eyes again, and replied "Whatever, Spike."
 

In that instance, she sounded so much like his nibblet that pain wrecked his body. This was going to be so hard, it was so much easier not caring about people, you didn't get yourself hurt that way.
 

Dana chose that minute to enter the kitchen. She had her hair pulled back off her face, and she looked unsure of herself. Here was another girl he was starting to feel protective of. When did I become such a git? He asked himself. Oh yah, around the time you fell in love with Buffy and became Dawn's protector. That's right. Now he found himself wanting to become the protector of two more girls. Such a git.
 

"Hi," Dana said shyly.
 

"Morning pet." Spike replied easily. "Sleep ok?"


"Yes." She stared at the ground uncertainly.
 

"Sit. I'm going to get you some breakfast." Fred told her, knowing that it would be easier just to give her orders at first, instead of making her make decisions. She noticed that Dana's table manners were a little lacking, but knew that could be addressed at another time.
 

"What are we doing today?" Dana asked.
 

"Thought we'd head back over to the Poof's, I mean Angel's office. Give Rupert a ring back, see if we can needle some new digs out of Angel. Get some dosh out of Angel so we can get us some new clothes. Basically do what I do everyday, but with a purpose." Spike told her.
 

"What is it that you do every day?" Dana asked in confusion.
 

"Annoy Angel." Came the reply. Fred just shook her head. "Boys." She headed out of the kitchen to get ready for work. She came back in holding an oversized sweater. "This should fit you, I don't really think I have any pants that would fit, I'm sorry. But you can wear these for now." She told Dana.
 

"See? That's why we get to go annoy Angel. He's the one with the Big Bucks now. Then I'll see about getting you some new clothes," Spike informed her.
 

Dana went to finish getting dressed, and Spike washed the breakfast stuff up. He knew Angel would have blood once they got to the office, and he'd have the bint Harmony go fetch him some. And he'd have to see about some clean clothes for himself.
 

Dana came back out from the bedroom dressed. "Are we going now?"
 

"Yes." he said. He called out to Fred's bedroom "We're leaving now Fred." He heard her shout back a muffled reply, and they walked out the door. he made a quick dash for the car, glad Fred had thought to have them park in the carport, under the shade.
 

As he put the car in gear, he looked over at Dana. She really did look a lot different when she wasn't going for the wild chick look. She was actually quite a looker.
 

"How old are you, love?" he asked her.
 

She gave him a surprised glance, and her face scrunched in concentration. Finally she said, "I don't know, what year is this?"
 

"2004."
 

"I'm 18, then," she replied. "How old are you?"
 

"128" came the quick reply.
 

There was silence, than a mumbled, "oh."
 

"That bother you, pet?" Spike asked her.
 

"No, just that sometimes I forget you're a vampire." She said.
 

Spike didn't want to tell her that that was one of the nicest things she could have said to him. He grinned at her, "Me too, pet, me too."
 

He pulled into the garage at W&H, parked next to Angel's array of automobiles, and said to Dana, " You're going to be meeting some other people today. Some of them look kind of weird, but don't worry. Angel has a If you don't kill, we don't kill you policy."
 

"Ok,"
 

They walked to the elevators and Dana already felt her confidence returning. She didn't feel like she had to hang on to Spike for dear life this time.
 

Even though it was only 8'oclock in the morning, the office was already busy. The elevator doors opened up into Angel's private office, but the bustle was in evidence outside his office windows. Angel was already seated at his throne.
 

"Mornin Peaches. Miss me?" Spike said in way of greeting.
 

"Hardly. Good morning Dana," Angel said.
 

"Hi," she said back, uncomfortably. Spike realized that such benign rituals as morning greeting were not part of her usual routine. Well, they'd work on that.
 

"Need some dosh," Spike informed him gleefully.
 

"What planet are you living on? No way." Angel retorted.
 

"It's for the girl, you nit. Think Fred's size 0's fit this girl's size 6 frame? Not likely." He informed him. He hoped Angel would shut the hell up because he could tell this was making Dana more uncomfortable.
 

"Fine." He bent to the phone in his desk. "Harmony, have our personal shopper we have on retainer meet me in my office ASAP"
 

"Ok boss" came the reply.
 

"Ohhh, personal shopper? Coming up in the world, are we?" Spike goaded.
 

"Shut up Spike." They were both saved from commenting any further as Andrew entered the office, dressed once again in an oversized tweed suit.
 

He took one look at Dana and his eyes bugged out. He shocked all of them by falling to his knees in front her, bowing to the floor saying in reverent tone, "Laura Croft, I worship thee."
 

Dana stared at the boy in total confusion. Spike groaned and said "It's Dana, you git."
 

Andrew shot his head up to look at her again, and quickly got to his feet. "Right, I totally knew that."


"What is he talking about? Who's Laura Croft?" Dana asked Spike, confused.
 

Andrew shook his head in sad disbelief. "You poor poor lost child. You HAVE been tortured, haven't you? Come with me, little one, and I will explain all," he said. Dana allowed herself to be led to the couch, as Andrew launched into the brilliance of the Tomb Raider, and Angelina Jolie, and the plot. Spike was shocked to see that she actually looked interested. Taking a closer look, with her hair pulled back, he did see a resemblance to the actress.
 

Andrew got up and walked over to Spike and Angel. "I'm going to go back to my hotel, Dana wants to see Tomb Raider and I never leave home without my favorite flicks. You have a TV we can borrow, right Angel?" At his nod, Andrew skipped out happily.
 

"Better watch it pet, that boy will talk you to death," Spike joked.
 

Dana smiled, "I know. But I think I kind of need it. It makes me feel normal, if that makes any sense."
 

"Yeah Pet, it does. Andrew's a little odd, but he means well. Angel and I have some things we need to go over, so it's good he's providing a distraction." Spike told her. "But remember what I told you last night," he warned.
 

Dana nodded. "If I start feel weird, come to you and take it on you, not on anybody else."
 

Spike smiled, "That's my girl."

A half hour later, Andrew and Dana were settled in a conference room watching movies, and Spike approached Angel.
 

"We have to talk about something," he said.
 

"What? I'm little busy here," Angel replied, reading the sports page of the LA Times.
 

"Well, this is important. What are we going to do about the guy Dana killed at the hospital? And the guy she assaulted at the convenience store?" Spike asked him.
 

"It's already taken care of," Angel replied, his eyes not leaving the paper.
 

"What do you mean?" Spike questioned him.
 

"I had Dana declared legally dead. That nurse at the hospital that called here to report Dana helped me. I had to give her a job here, but it was worth it. She confiscated all the tapes the doctor there had filmed of their sessions, and her chart. I have them all here."
 

"When the bleedin hell did you find the time to do that?" Spike asked, incredulous.
 

"Last night after you guys left. According to the paperwork, we found her and had to use excessive force. She doesn't exist to them anymore." Angel explained.
 

"Damn. Impressive. Good work, mate."
 

"I know." Angel replied, with a smirk.
 

Spike laughed. "Wanker."
 


TBC...

Chapter 7

Angel finally put down his paper, and gave Spike his full attention. "Anything else you wanted? Because I have a full plate here. Haven't gotten to the comics yet," he said, gesturing to the paper.
 

"Yeah, actually there is. Need you to help us get someplace to stay. Can't keep freeloadin at Fred's, y'no," Spike replied.
 

"Already got it covered. The Hyperion. I own it. Already have a cleaning crew in there right now, getting it ready for you guys," Angel revealed, picking his paper back up.
 

"Ok, where's the real Peaches?" Spike asked suspiciously.
 

Angel sighed, Spike never made things easy. "Let's just say it has come to my attention that I may not have given you a fair chance since you've been back.. This is my way of trying to make it up for it."
 

"What, are you on crack? Doin drugs now Peaches?"
 

"You know Spike, you could just say thank you. As usual, you have to shoot your mouth off." Angel complained.
 

"What's this about then?"
 

"Ok fine. Andrew said some things last night that got me thinking, ok? Happy now?"
 

"Like what kind of things?" Spike asked.
 

"You know, you really are an annoying pain in the ass, you know that?" Angel huffed. Spike just stared at him.
 

"All right, he told us how you helped Buffy with the battle against the First." Angel said.
 

"Well now, no great mystery there. You already knew that, does getting my nuts roasted off ring any bells? ."
 

" Andrew told us how you were the only one there for Buffy when everybody else had turned against her and kicked her out of her own house. I sure wasn't around." he continued. "As much as it kills me to say it, I'm glad you were there for Buffy so she didn't have to go through that alone."
 

Spike just continued to stare at Angel in astonishment. Was Angel saying what he thought he was? Was he ... THANKING Spike for being with Buffy?
 

"Look, i'm just going to say this the one time, then I never want to talk about it again. I'm glad it was you, Spike. As much as you bug the living shit out of me, I know you loved her. I know now she wouldn't have made it through that battle if it wasn't for you. Hell, the world probably wouldn't have survived. So, thank you."
 

Spike felt tears crowding his eyes, he didn't want to cry in front of his sire, so he did what he always did when things became too emotional for him. He fell back on sarcasm.
 

He plastered a big fake grin on his face and swaggered to Angel's side, threatening to hug him cooing "Oh give us a hug, you big lug. Give you favorite son a big hug."
 

It had the desired affect, Angel smacked him away and called him a faggot, shooting his chair across the room to get away from the vampire. Then they both started laughing.
 

After a few minutes, Spike finally said, "Oh, and you're welcome. i can honestly say it was MY pleasure." He smirked at Angel and walked out of his office.
 

Angel sat there watching the door after he left. It had felt good to get that out in the open. He had done a lot of thinking since Andrew had shared his Tale of the Vampyr the night before. He had never thought of what might have happened if Spike HADN'T been there. All this time Angel had been jealous of having to share his Champion status with Spike and it never occurred to him that Spike might actually DESERVE the title. After listening to the story last night, Angel knew that he did deserve it. Offering the hotel was his way to appease his guilt.
 

Also it really was the perfect place for Spike to set up shop with this slayer. Plenty of space, privacy, and it already had a full set of training equipment. Not to mention the tax write off Gunn said they could use from it.

Spike had been keeping an eye on the conference room that Dana and Andrew were holed up in. When he popped his head in, he was shocked to hear laughter coming from the girl. Andrew had made her laugh. He had found some microwave popcorn in the breakroom, and they were watching Tomb Raider. Spike personally hated watching movies with Andrew, he narrated throughout the entire thing, but Dana didn't seem to mind. She seemed to welcome the comments.
"

You guys ok?" he asked them.
 

"We're cool. Dana's even cooler than Buffy, and she doesn't pick on me," Andrew told him.
 

"Oh give her time, " Spike joked.
 

"The movie's good, I like it, " Dana said.
 

"Just wanted to let you know that Angel set us up with a place, he's having it cleaned right now. We'll probably be able to go over there later today and check it out." Spike told her.
 

"Ok, " came the reply, but her attention was on the movie.
 

Spike went into an empty office and placed a call to Giles. It was evening in England, but Giles had been waiting for the phone call.
 

"So is everything all right with this slayer?" Giles asked Spike.
"Yeah, she's fine. Had a few nightmares, but she's watching movies with Andrew right now," Spike replied.
 

"Good lord," Giles retorted. "When will he be returning to England, do you know?"
 

"Well, I was hoping the boy could stay for a while. Do you need him back?"
 

"You mean you WANT him there? He's not irritating the piss out of you?" Giles asked.
 

"He's helping out. Dana seems to like him. I actually heard her laugh at something he said. She needs to make up for almost her entire childhood, and Andrew might be good for her." Spike explained.
 

"Seeing as how he's nothing more than an overgrown child himself, I think you may have a good idea there. Plus I was attempting to train him as a watcher, so he can help you with that," Giles conceded, impressed with Spike's logic. And glad that he would be free of Andrew for unknown amount of time. "What are you going to do about a training facility? And accommodations?"
 

"Peaches beat me to that one. He's offered that hotel he owns, The Hyperspastic or something. He's having it cleaned right now."
 

"Extraordinary. Well, it seems a good solution. What do you need from me then?"
 

"Money. Let's talk about that." Spike said, and they discussed terms of employment. Then their conversation moved on to training techniques. Spike informed him that his immediate plans with Dana were to getting her settled in and getting her comfortable, then he would proceed carefully from there.
 

Giles felt it on the tip of his tongue to tell Spike that Buffy knew he was back. But, he knew it wasn't his place to do so. He'd done enough to these two already.
 

They ended their phone call, and Spike spent the rest of the afternoon seeing to details. The personal shopper came and measured Dana, then she left. When she returned, she had clothes suitable for day to day and training. Since Spike figured they wouldn't be leaving the hotel very often, he didn't worry about a variety of clothes. The personal shopper shocked him with supplying him with a few outfits, Angel must have instructed her and given her his sizes. Spike appreciated this gesture because it meant that he didn't have to go back to his hovel of a basement to pick up his belongings.
 

By early afternoon, the hotel was ready, and Spike, Andrew and Dana drove over. It was huge. There was no way they were going to trip over each other in this place. It had a stocked kitchen, and Angel had added a pretty significant training place when he lived there. It had the added perk of being sun proofed, since the former tenant had been a vampire.


They were sitting around the couch in the front lobby when Spike asked Andrew if he wanted to stay.
 

"You... want me to stay?" he asked, hopefully.
 

"Yeah, you nit. Wouldn't have asked Giles if you could stay and help if I didn't want you to," Spike told him.
 

He was taken aback, as once again, Andrew threw his arms around him, sobbing. "Not only are you alive, but you are the coolest vampire in the whole wide world. Thank you."
 

Spike awkwardly patted him on his back and pushed him away. "Right then. Let's go pick out some rooms."
He led the way upstairs with Dana and Andrew following. He realized he wound up with Angel's old room. Dana picked a room righy by his, and Andrew's next to hers.
 

"I'm going to lay down. I'm tired." Dana told them. Andrew and Spike went downstairs.
 

"I just want you to know I appreciate the chance you're giving me Spike. I won't let you down," Andrew told him.
 

"Don't be a git. You'll be helping out here. Dana has missed a lot, and let's put it this way, you're closer to a kid than I am. Just don't turn her into one of those scifi geeks, ok?"
 

Andrew gasped. "I would NEVER do that!" At Spike's look, he conceded, "Ok, yes I would, but scifi geeks are COOL."
 

"Just be her friend Andrew, ok?"
 

"I can do that. Thanks again Spike."
 

"Don't mention it. Also watch what kind of movies you show her, she is still mentally fragile. I don't know how much she can handle. Don't let your guard completely down either."
 

"Got it Dad," Andrew quipped.
 

"Don't call me Dad, or I'll bite you."

The next few days flew by. The Hyperion had a few visitors, Angel, Fred, Wesley and Dana got to meet Gunn and Lorne. Angel was impressed at how Spike seemed to know just how to draw Dana out and get inside her mind. But then wondered why that surprised him, he'd always been able to do that. But if Spike was her shrink and trainer, Andrew had become her buddy. Just as Spike had predicted, after seeing them together watching that movie the first day. His mindless chatter seemed to relax her, and she seemed happier.
 

Angel and Spike had sat down with her and told her that they had declared her dead, in order to protect her from the consequences of her actions before she found Spike. She seemed ok with that, but was distant the rest of the day. She told Andrew that she was feeling guilty for what she had done, and the two vampires had more than enough experience with those feelings.
 

Interacting with Dana and Andrew made Spike feel like part of a small family again, something he'd missed. He was finding himself thinking about Buffy more and more, especially late at night when he heard Andrew and Dana watching movies and talking. He had started training Dana in weapons, and was no longer worried that she would turn on him and thrust the axe through his gut.
 

On the fifth day, Spike was the first one awake. Dana had not had anymore nightmares, at least not that he had heard, since they had been there. He went into the kitchen and started the coffee. He got a pint of blood out of the fridge and put it in a mug and warmed it up. As he drank it, he started making some pancake batter. "The kids" as he had started to refer to them, always wanted a big breakfast and since Dana was previously insane and Andrew was clueless in the kitchen, it had fallen to Spike to see to their meals. Actually he didn't mind, he liked puttering around the kitchen.
 

He dragged his fingers through his unruly hair. Since they had hardly left the hotel he had gotten into the habit of wearing it ungelled, so that it fell into its natural curls around his head. It actually felt better that way, Spike had to admit to himself. His feet were bare, and he was wearing a pair of black sweat pants and a black t-shirt, since he had also come to the realization it was easier to spar in sweats than in tight jeans. But he also didn't feel like he had to put on appearances for the other of occupants of the hotel.
 

Spike had just finished mixing the batter and had put the griddle on to heat up when he heard the front bell ring. Knowing the other two weren't up yet, he turned off the stove and went to see who was at their door. Since it was a hotel, they had some extra security measures added, one of those being a doorbell.
He padded to the door, licking some of the batter of his thumb and threw open the door. And there stood Buffy.
 

It was a good thing Spike's heart was already stopped, because the shock of seeing Buffy on the other side of the door would have shut it down for good.
 

"Buffy?" was all he could manage, he was dumbstruck.
 

She nodded, staring intently at him. Then suddenly she burst into tears and threw her arms around Spike's neck. "Oh my god, Spike. It's really you, I can't believe it, it's really you."
 

He wrapped his arms around her, and held her tight. God she smelled good. She felt so thin though, he drew away so he could get a good look at her and saw how gaunt she was. Then he pulled her into his embrace again. "I told myself I wasn't going to cry, and now that's all I can do, " Buffy whispered in his ear. "This is the first time I've cried since Sunnydale."
 

That spoke volumes to Spike, and he felt tears running down his face as he buried his face in her hair.
 

Then she pulled back and glared at him through her tears, her face ravaged with misery. "Now that I've gotten that over with, I have a few words to say to you. You left me, you told me you never would, but you still left me. You died, Spike. But than you came back and YOU DIDN'T TELL ME!! Do you have any idea how much that hurts?"
 

All Spike could do was shake his head. "Oh god, I'm so sorry Buffy. I wanted to, believe me, I did. But I didn't know how to say it. I didn't know how you would feel about me again, and I just couldn't go through being treated as second rate again. Not after the way we had left things. I'm so sorry if I hurt you," he murmured, having a hard time believing she was standing here in his arms.
 

"Ok, I can see that. It doesn't mean you're off my shit list though. And Angel is most definitely on it. I am way pissed at him." Buffy announced, the urge to scream at him for putting her through that abating.
 

"Well, that's a shocker. But honestly luv, did you really think Peaches would run right to the phone to tell you I was back? Not a chance. He wanted to keep me as far from you as he could." Spike said.
"Yeah, there's a lot of that going around." Buffy replied cryptically.
 

"What do you mean?"
 

"Oh, Giles. Not wanting you in England. He didn't think I could figure that one out. He's the one who told me that you were back though, so I do owe him for that," she answered. "That's how I knew how to find you."
 

Gazing into her incredible green eyes, Spike murmured, voice thick with emotion, "I really am sorry that I didn't call you. You have no idea how much I wanted to. But I didn't know why I was back, and I didn't want to involve you until I knew anything. Come on, I was in the middle of making pancakes, come keep me company."  He grabbed her hand and led her to the kitchen.


He plopped her on one of the kitchen chairs and turned the heat back on the griddle. "So, have you figured out why you're here yet?" Buffy asked, feeling suddenly shy around him.
 

Spike couldn't stop staring at her. She was so beautiful. Her hair was longer and blonde, and she was dressed in a skirt, boots and halter top. To Spike, she looked incredible, the most amazing thing he'd ever laid eyes on.


"Hello? Earth to Spike?" Buffy teased.
 

"What? Oh, why I am here? Right. I think it has to do with your newest slayer." he replied, ladling batter onto the griddle. Buffy watched him with interest.
 

"So where is she?"
 

"I think they're still asleep." Spike replied.
 

"They?"
 

"Andrew's here too. He's been helping. Dana seems to really like him." Spike told her. "They've become good friends."
 

"Giles didn't tell me that! That's cool. Andrew always did make a good girlfriend, he was always liked hanging out with the SIT's." Buffy said. She watched as Spike expertly flipped the pancakes, then put them on a plate for her. he got butter out of the fridge and syrup and placed it down in front of her.
 

"Eat" he ordered, bending down and placing a kiss on the top of her head. He made another batch of pancakes as Buffy ate in silence, just watching him. She liked seeing him rumpled like this, it reminded her of sex. God, sex with Spike. Her mind took a little detour and she felt herself growing a little flushed.
Suddenly, Spike sniffed the air, then turned to her with a wicked grin on his face. "Slayer, are you having nasty thoughts?" he purred.
 

Oh god, was she. Thankfully she was saved from answering by the sound of footsteps coming into the kitchen.
 

"Coffee," Andrew groaned, not noticing Buffy sitting there. Dana followed behind him, then she stopped and stared. Then she looked at Spike, and the happy look on his face as he flipped his pancakes. Then she smiled.
 

"Hi." she said shyly to Buffy.


Andrew turned around to see who Dana was talking to, and cried "Buffy!! You're here!" and ran around the table to hug her.
 

"Hi, you're Dana, right?" Buffy said. It felt a little weird to her that this girl had experienced some of her most intimate memories. Oh god, I wonder if she experienced me having sex with Spike!
 

"I'm Dana,". It was nice to finally meet Buffy, she felt like she knew her very well. She slid into one of the chairs at the table, and Spike placed a plateful of pancakes in front of her and poured her some juice. Then surprisingly, he did the same for Andrew.
 

As Buffy watched him, she realized that he was right, he had found the reason he was back. If this girl was so far gone as they had said, she had make an incredible turn around. Then Buffy realized she was as much responsible for it as Spike was. Both of them. And here Spike was, taking care of her, even taking care of Andrew. Just like he used to take care of Dawn and her. It was at that moment that Buffy realized just how much really loved this vampire. he was amazing.
 

And then she couldn't help herself. She got up, and walked behind him at the stove, and put her arms around him, pressing her cheek against his back. The tears were starting up again. Spike turned around and embraced her, and they just held each other, oblivious to anybody else in the room.
 

"I love you," she whispered to him, her face buried in his chest.


TBC......
Summary-Buffy's just met up with Spike at the hotel, and told him she loves him. Andrew and Dana are living there too.

Chapter 8

Hope flared through Spike at Buffy's whispered words. She had uttered them once before, when his entire existence was at a critical moment inside the Hellmouth. But he hadn't dared to believe her, so he had told her that she really didn't, and then thanked her for saying the words to a dying man.
 

There was no crisis here, no desperation for profound last words. He could believe her this time. The words she spoke were the truth. She loved him.
 

"Oh god Buffy, I love you so much," he whispered into her ear, clasping her tighter against him.
 

She grunted. "Oof. Air. Need. Now." She uttered, and Spike realized his hold on her was restricting her breathing. With a chagrined look on his face, he released his hold on her. "sorry, luv."
 

At the table, Andrew and Dana were watching this with fascination. "This is so romantic," Andrew gushed. "I wished I had my video camera right now. A Love Tale Between a Vampyr and a Slayer, I'd call it. Two mighty warriors drawn to each other against all odds, only to be torn apart by cruel fate, as our hero is sucked into the bowels of hell. But don't worry, happy viewers, our tale is far from over" He narrated, panning a pretend camera over the entwined lovers by the stove. "Oh no, for fate could not be so cruel. Our hero has been returned, but his work here is far from done. He has a mission, he has a new calling in life. We like to call him....  Watcher." Dana watched him with something akin to amusement on her face. She was used to this, seeing life through Andrew's Storytelling eyes.

 
"Bloody hell, is life one big bleedin soap opera to you?" Spike asked the boy, exasperation evident in his voice. But he was glad that Andrew had diffused the intense emotion that was flowing between he and Buffy before he did something he regretted. Like breaking down, and sobbing like a soddin school girl. Yeah, he was the Big Bad, all right. It was getting harder and harder to keep convincing himself of that fact.
Spike draped one arm around Buffy's shoulder and led her back to the table. "Eat up luv, didn't finish your breakfast."
 

Buffy determined that she was actually hungry. Her appetite had been non existent for months now, she derived no pleasure from it, eating only for fuel. But she found herself shoveling Spike's pancakes in her mouth and was shocked to note how good they tasted. Spike fixed himself a plate and sat down next to Buffy.
 

"So what's on the agenda for today?" Dana asked, breaking the comfortable silence. She was a little intimidated by having Buffy here. She was beginning to feel secure in her new place in life. Her desperate attachment to Spike had waned. Things had changed after that first day, and she enjoyed a comfortable friendship with Andrew just as much as she relished her time with the vampire. His insight into her thoughts and feelings was remarkable. He made her face up to things, he wouldn't let her hide from her feelings when it became too intense, even though he knew it came with potential danger to himself. He usually did this when they were in the training room, while they were sparring. He would needle and goad her into facing the truth about herself and her past. It had the desired affect. Instead of feeling sorry for herself, like she wanted to, she would get mad. She usually wound up taking it on Spike, throwing punch after punch to exorcise the anger at the injustice of what had been done to her. For making her a victim, for taking away years of her life. And when she was done purging her inner demons, he would be there grinning, proud of her. Ready with a hug and supportive words. It was exactly what she needed, and he knew it
 

With Spike she was serious, but with Andrew, she got to have fun. He really was child like, his enthusiasm over bizarre things amused her. It was a nice balance, and now that Buffy was here, she didn't know how that was going to change things, and it made her tense and scared.
 

"Training." Spike replied her earlier question. To Buffy, he said, "She's a natural fighter, she's got the moves. She's pounded me into the mat quite a few times. Reminds me of you, luv."
 

"Nothing less than he deserved, I'm sure. You'll have to show me later," Buffy told the girl. She thought she would be jealous of this new slayer. The thought of her living here with Spike had burned a hole deep into her gut even though Buffy knew it was irrational. But Buffy now saw that Spike had the same affection toward her as he had had for Dawn.
 

"Maybe I can kick your ass later, slayer. For ole time's sake, and all," Spike taunted, a wicked gleam shining in his eyes.
 

"Did being a ghost make you MORE demented? I am so going to kick YOUR ass, Spike" Buffy retorted, and that was it, the gauntlet was tossed.
 

"Ooohhh, can we watch?" Andrew asked, bouncing in his chair with excitement. "You've never seen anything until you've seen these two fight. It's like poetry in motion." He told Dana. She didn't want to tell him that she had seen them fight. Well, in a way.
 

"Tell you what, you two clean up the kitchen, and I'm going to show Buffy around a little. Then we'll get some training in. So finish eating and then get a cleaning, " Spike instructed, taking Buffy's hand and leading her from the kitchen.
 

"I have been here before, you know." Buffy told him.
 

"Shhh, they don't know that." Came the naughty reply.
 

Buffy just grinned at him. He really looked adorable. She reached up and touched his hair, it was so soft and curly.
 

"What are you doin Slayer? Leave my bloody hair alone," Spike grunted, picking up her suitcase by the front door and making his way to the stairs.
 

"Uh slayer, since you've been here before and all, do you have a room preference?" Spike asked, softly.

Was that ... shyness? Was Spike being shy? Oh god, he was so adorable! This big bad vampire was the most adorable thing Buffy had ever seen. From his tousled curls to his bare feet, every square inch of his delicious body screamed sweetness and Buffy's heart melted. Again. Oh god, how she had missed him. How could she ever have tried to make him think he was second rate? She now knew she loved him with every fiber of her being, and nothing would ever change that.
 

Suddenly, she felt shy herself. "Well, I was kind of hoping I could stay with you." She revealed softly.
 

The grin that lit up his face made Buffy's knees go weak. He was too cute for his own good, she grumbled to herself. She suddenly found herself swooped off her feet, carried through a doorway and thrown down on top of a thick luxurious down comforter. She couldn't stop the giggle that found its way out of her mouth.
 

"Not seeing anything remotely funny here, slayer," Spike drawled, throwing himself beside her on the huge bed, after closing the door.
 

"It's just been a while since you've manhandled me. It feels good." Buffy admitted, throwing herself over so that she lay on top of him, snuggling the side of her face into the curve of his neck.
 

"Oh don't worry luv, this man is going to handle you, all right" he teased, wrapping his arms around her, content in the feeling of her warm body atop of his.
 

"That's what I'm counting on," Buffy sighed, closing her eyes. This felt so good. They fit together like they were made for one another. She could feel herself drifting off to sleep, it had been too long since she had slept. She had been too keyed up on the long airplane ride. Thoughts of her reunion with Spike had tormented her mind the entire flight. She had been a basket case by the time they had landed.
 

And now, contentment flowed through her. Spike felt her body grow heavy and her heart beat slow as she eased into sleep. He never wanted to let her go.
 

He could have kissed Andrew when he heard him call through the door, "We're going to go watch Terminator 2, Dana's got to get her Arnold fix. She likes his muscles. Come get us when you're ready." Then he heard the footsteps move away from the door. Smart lad, that one.
 

Spike just watched Buffy as she slept, her breath warm and slow against his neck. Even in sleep she looked tired. 'Gonna have to do something about that,' Spike thought to himself. Food and sleep, that's what this girl needs. And me. With that thought, Spike felt a huge grin take over his face.
 

When Buffy woke up a few hours later, that grin was still in evidence as he slumbered. Spike had rolled them to the side during their nap, and she was encased in his arms, where she knew she belonged. She had been so stupid, she thought. Pushing him away, it had taken her so long to get to this point. And she had almost not gotten the chance to be with him like this, being able to give her emotions over to him without reservation or hesitation. She sure hadn't in Sunnydale. Those thoughts brought tears to her eyes again, and she desperately tried to push them away. No more tears.
 

"What's wrong luv?" Spike asked gently, concerned to awaken to her tears.
 

"Nothing. Well, I just realized I almost didn't get a chance to tell you that I loved you." Buffy admitted, sniffing.
 

"You did tell me."
 

"Yeah, but you didn't believe me, remember?"
 

"I couldn't let myself. You have no idea the emotions flowing through me right then, it was incredible. If I let myself believe you truly loved me, I wouldn't have been able to leave you. And then the world would have gone to shit, with you in it." Spike explained. "I couldn't let that happen, I had to finish it."
 

"I know. You really are a hero, you know that?" she replied, stroking his cheek.
 

"Eh! Big Bad here! Not a bleedin' hero!" Spike wailed, but inside he was giddy with her praise.
 

"Whatever you say, honey. Come on, I need to go kick your ass." Buffy teased, getting off the bed. She went to her suitcase and picked out some work out clothes. She went into Spike's bathroom and changed and pulled her hair back in a pony tail. When she came out, Spike was still in the same spot as she left him.
 

"Come on, get your butt up. I'm feeling the need for violence." She told him, trying to push him off the bed.
 

"Pushy wench," he muttered as he hopped off the bed. He drew her close for a quick kiss. "Race ya" he challenged with a gleam in his eye. He pushed her down on the bed and raced out of the door, slamming it behind him.
 

Buffy jumped up, fuming, and ran to the door, throwing it open so it slammed into the wall. "SPIKE!!!!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, hauling ass down the hallway. "YOU CHEATING BASTARD!!" She heard his giddy laughter bounce back at her from the staircase. She caught up to him just as he passed the last step and she threw herself through the air and tackled him to the ground.
 

His hysterical laughter was contagious, and Buffy was hard pressed to keep a stern look on her face. He was laying on his back and she had straddled his hips, and was leaning over him, pinning his arms to the side. "You cheated," she started to lecture. She felt her composure give way, and a grin emerged. "And you're so not funny." She informed the cackling vampire. "Idiot."
 

"Now now, luv. Don't go tossin words like that around. Might hurt my tender feelins, you know," Spike teased.
 

"Stupid vampire." She muttered.
 

"You love it." Spike declared, giving her a wicked look. He broke his hands away from her hold and brought her head down for a kiss.
 

"Ahem!!" they heard Andrew say loudly. When they both looked up, there watching them, stood Andrew, Dana, Fred, Wesley, Lorne and...... Angel.
 

"Oops," Buffy said, staring at the group. "My bad."
 

"Didn't know I had to watch myself in my own bleedin place," Spike grumbled, and Buffy helped him to his feet.
 

"It's my place, Spike," Angel injected, watching the two blondes interact with each other.
 

"Whatever. Something you wanted, Peaches?"
 

"Don't get yourself in a bunch, sweetcheeks, we were just checking on our little toasted marshmallow here, " Lorne explain, gesturing to Dana. "Wanted to watch you mighty warriors train."
 

"Oh, nobody's trained yet today. Buffy just got here this morning and they've been in Spike's room since then," Andrew said. At everybody's look, he added, "Ok, shutting up now."
 

Spike looked to Buffy, and saw some anger in her expression directed at the Great Poof. Feeling slightly protective of him, and not sure why, he tried to diffuse the tension.
 

"Come on Slayer. I do believe you've been threatening an ass kicking all morning. Not gettin any younger here, luv," he said to her, taking her hand as they made their way to the big training room.
 

"Give Peaches a break, ok?" he whispered to her.
 

"You're defending him?? That's a new one," Buffy replied, as she started going through her stretching routine.
 

"Just don't take it out on him. It was my fault. i should have called you." he tried to explain.
 

"Oh don't worry, I'll be taking it on you in just a few minutes," she mock threatened.
 

"I'm shakin here, luv. Scarin the right piss out of me, you are." Spike taunted back, and with that, they slipped right back into their usual routine. The others had followed, after a fashion, into the training room and were now lined up watching the two fighters face off.
 

Spike started by throwing a punch to the side of Buffy's head, which she easily blocked while giving him a roundhouse kick to his side followed with a sneaky hook kick that he wasn't expecting. Her heel caught him in the side of head, causing him to stumble to the side. She took that opportunity to throw a spinhook at him, and nailed him on the other side of the head.
 

"Gonna pay for that, luv," he growled.
 

"Come and get it," she taunted, pretending to leave herself open.
 

He fell for it, and as he advanced, she spun and delivered a powerful back kick that got him right square in the chest and sent him flying.
 

"Wow, she's really good," Dana breathed, mesmerized by the sight in front of her. Spike had rallied back and they were now evenly trading blow for blow, kick for kick. They had fallen into their familiar dance pattern, and it was beautiful sight to behold. They fought effortlessly, viscously, yet oddly tender. Always trading insulting comments back and forth, that added to the poetry.
 

Angel was watching the two fight, and was surprised at the lack of jealousy he felt. It had helped admitting that Spike deserved to be called a Champion. Just from what he had witnessed when the two came flying down the stairs, he saw a familiarity and playfulness that he and Buffy had and never would possess. He saw love there, and while it should have bothered him, it didn't. Because Spike really HAD changed. He was a good man, even though he choked on that thought.
 

And now watching them fight, he came to the realization that they made sense. Yes, they were a vampire and a slayer. But for some reason, they complimented each others good and bad qualities. He felt something freeing up inside of him, and he reveled in it. He had let Buffy go so that she could find love again. And she had. His sacrifice had been worth it. It had taken a while to accept that it was with Spike, but now, he knew he didn't have to worry about her anymore. He could go on and live his own life. If she had wound up with a mortal, he never would have been able to completely let go, but now he could and it was liberating.
 

When Spike and Buffy finally threw themselves on the mat in exhaustion, Buffy sneaked a glance over to Angel. She was shocked by what she saw. he was smiling. He saw her looking at him, and gave her a slight nod. They would talk later.

TBC...
Disclaimer- I own nothing. Well, I own my house, my car and my computer, but I unfortunately don't own the characters of Angel or Buffy. I sure wish I did though.

CHAPTER 9

Buffy smiled back at Angel, then glanced at Spike. He had a gratified smile on his face as he helped Buffy to her feet.
 

"Good fight, Pet. But where was that ass kickin you've been yammerin on about?" Spike teased.
 

"Oh please Spike. I SO kicked your ass," came the reply
 

"In your dreams, slayer."
 

Buffy walked over to the small fridge in the corner and pulled out 2 bottles of water. She didn't really know if Spike needed one, but she gave it to him anyway. She watched in fascination as he guzzled it down, his throat muscles contracting with each swallow. God, he made drinking water sexy.
 

Wesley, Lorne and Gunn wandered over. "That was fantastic, I've never seen sparring quite like that."

Wesley informed them. "It's good to see you again, Buffy." he told her, giving her a hug.
 

"Yeah you two got some serious moves," Gunn told them.
 

"I will be wanting to see a repeat of the two of you, my cupcakes," Lorne said. "Well, you boys ready to motor? We have that meeting at noon." He turned and walked out of the training room with Wesley and Gunn following.
 

"Angel, Fred, you coming?" Gunn called over his shoulder.
 

"No, think you can handle the meeting without me?" Angel replied.
 

"And me?" Fred added.
 

"Not a problem, buttercups. See you back at the office. Toodles children." Lorne announced.
 

Andrew turned to Spike, "Can we finish watching our Terminator trilogy, or do you want to train with Dana? Cos we were just getting to this really cool part Arnold was blowing up-" Before he could continue, he was interrupted.
 

"No, go on ahead." Spike told him, and watched as Dana and Andrew left the room.
 

"I'm going to go start lunch. You two fancy staying?" Spike asked Fred and Angel.
 

"Sure!" Fred accepted, not looking at Angel. "We'd love to!"
 

"Come on then and help me, pet." Spike told her, effectively leaving Angel and Buffy alone. It killed him to do that, but he knew Buffy would need to talk to the Great Poof.
 

"Spike cooks?" Angel asked, as a way to break the ackward silence.
 

"Yeah, surprisingly, he does. What is even more amazing, he's good at it." Buffy replied, sitting down on the mat, with her back against the wall.
 

Angel came to sit down next to her. "Spike has been doing a few things lately that have been surprising me." He looked at her downcast face, eyes glued to the mat. This was obviously hard for her.
 

"So, I guess this means that you're all done baking?" He joked.
Buffy jerked her head up, then she smiled a smile of relief. "Yes, I guess I'm all done baking." There was a slight pause. "Angel, I'm sorry."
 

"You don't need to apologize, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I've come to the conclusion that I haven't been fair to you or Spike."
 

"Oh, before I forget to tell you, you're on my shit list for not telling me Spike was back." Buffy informed him.
 

"Figured I would be. I just couldn't bring myself to make that phone call. Spike materialized from that amulet in the middle of my office. And right from the start, we fell back into our old routine. He acts like a total pain in the ass, bugging the living shit out of me. Pushing all of my buttons, rubbing your relationship with him in my face at every opportunity. I retaliate by trying to keep him away from you. We acted like a couple of 2 year olds." Angel tried to explain.
 

"It's ok, Angel. Spike told me to cut you some slack." Buffy replied.
 

"He said that? Hmm..God Buffy, he was SUCH an annoying little shit of a ghost. If you could have seen him. Every word that left his mouth was an insult. Fred kept telling us that he was worth the saving, and none of us wanted to listen. We didn't want to believe he had changed, least of all me. Even when he sacrificed his one chance at becoming corporeal to save Fred's life, none of us wanted to see who Spike really was. He was hiding the fact that he was really hurting and he was scared. Fred saw it, but none of us wanted to.."
Buffy looked at Angel in amazement. "What brought on this change of heart? I can't believe this is YOU talking!"
 

He gazed at her with amusement on his face. "Andrew. He spun a tale, a tale of a Vampyr." gesturing with his hands like Andrew did when he went in story mode.
 

Buffy dropped her face into her hands and groaned. "Oh god, not one of those!"
 

"oh yeah. He told us what happened before the battle with the First. I really just jumped in, thinking I could waltz in and save the day, didn't I?"
 

"It's ok. Without you and the amulet, we wouldn't be here." Buffy assured him.
 

"No, without Spike, we wouldn't be here."
 

Buffy looked at him with something akin to astonishment. She had no response to that, but it lifted her heart to hear Spike get recognition for his actions.
 

After a comfortable silence, Angel asked, "So now what? Are you going to stay here?"
 

She shrugged. "Not sure. We haven't talked about it. I have my slayer school in England, and Dawn's there, but she's going to be graduating. Guess it depends on what happens here."
 

Angel got to his feet. Buffy gazed up at him, her heart telling her that she had chosen the right vampire. She would always have feelings for Angel, but they weren't enough anymore.
 

"I'll be seeing you around then. If you need any help with anything, let me know," Angel offered.
 

"Same to you. Any nasty thing you need slayer help with, give me a ring. You know where to find me."
He nodded. He started to walk away but stopped when Buffy called out "Angel" He turned around. "Thank you."
 

He gave her a sad smile, "No thank you."
 

"It was really amazing of you to let Spike use the hotel, just wanted to let you know that. I know he appreciates it." She informed him.
 

His next words stunned her. "I'm signing the hotel over to him. Don't tell him yet, it's not final." and with that he was gone out the door and Buffy was alone with her thoughts.
 

The generosity behind Angel's actions overwhelmed Buffy, and she found herself crying again, much to her chagrin. God, months of being unable to cry when I thought Spike was dead, and now I can't stop the waterworks when I see him alive, this is ridiculous! She thought to herself.
 

She hoisted herself up off the floor and went to go find her lover.
 

Spike was in the kitchen with Fred, preparing ham sandwiches and potato salad that he had made the night before.
 

"It's really nice to see you happy, Spike," Fred commented as she set the table.
 

"I am, sweets. I thought i was bloody dreaming when I opened the door and saw her standing there. Then she threw herself in my arms and I knew she was real." He told her.
 

"God, you're so sweet. Why can't I find someone like you?" she joked.
 

"I'm an original model, luv." He teased.
 

Buffy came into the kitchen and listened to the light banter between the vampire and Fred.
 

Spike sensed her entrance and turned to give her a brilliant smile. "So, how'd it go, luv?"
 

"Ok. Surprisingly, not as bad as I had imagined. He shocked me." Buffy admitted.
 

"Yeah, he's been in a good mood the last week. Hmm, maybe because Spike hasn't been around to bug him." Fred revealed. Buffy didn't know this girl very well, but she thought about what Angel had told her of Fred's insistence that Spike was worth saving.
 

"Fred, Angel told me how you tried to help Spike when he was all ghosty, and I just want to say thanks," Buffy told her.
 

Fred flashed Buffy a smile. "It was kind of hard to ignore him, he kept popping up everywhere I'd turn, scaring the crap out of me."
 

"hey!" Spike yelped in mock indignation.
 

"It's true, you did. I can't tell you how many beakers we lost in the lab because of him. I think his daily goal was to see how many people he could get to drop thing when he'd pop out and yell BOO."
 

"I NEVER yelled Boo." Spike complained.
 

Fred pinned him with a stern look, and Spike grinned sheepishly. "Ok, maybe a few times. Bleedin people needed a sense of humor, all had stakes rammed up their asses."
 

Buffy knew she should feel a little jealous, this was something she had not been a part of. But she couldn't bring herself to feel any ill will towards this girl. She was just too..cute. And she rivaled Buffy in the skinny department.


"Hey, where do you buy your clothes? I have a super hard time finding clothes that fit me these days, they are all too big, even most of the 0's." Buffy asked her suddenly.
 

"Oh! I TOTALLY know what you mean!! I usually find myself in the kids department, I have better luck there. But I did find this one shop that caters towards us skinny chicks, I've found a lot of stuff there." Fred replied.
 

"Can you tell me where it is? I didn't get a chance to buy that much in England, I've been losing weight recently so I'm kind of in the market for some new clothes." Buffy admitted.
 

"Can I go with you?" At Buffy's nod, she clapped her hands excitedly. "Yeah! I feel a shopping trip coming on!! Things have been kind of you know, testosteroney, since Cordy slipped into her coma. I even went out with Harmony one night, if that tells you how bad things have gotten."
 

"Harmony?" She slipped a confused look to Spike.
 

"She's Peaches bleedin secretary. Isn't that priceless?" Spike replied.
 

"Ah, ok, got it. How about we go out after lunch?" she said to Fred.
 

"Uh luv, don't plan on buying TOO much. I don't plan on you looking like that" he pointed at her gaunt frame "for too much longer."
 

"Geez, cave man much?" she drawled.
 

"You haven't seen anything yet, sweetness" he replied evilly, slapping her butt. "Ok, lunch is ready. Gotta call the kids."
 

He walked out of the kitchen and went to the bottom of the stairs and bellowed for them to come down for lunch.
 

Fred looked at Buffy and smiled. "I'm so glad you came to him. He is so much happier. I hadn't realized it, because I just met him not too long ago, but compared to how he was before, he's like glowing. Can vampires glow? I sure wish he had a brother though."

TBC.



Chapter 10

After lunch was finished up, Buffy and Fred hit the stores. Buffy found that Fred's taste in clothes was impeccable, and the shop that she took her to was absolutely fantastic. It had been such a long time since she had taken pleasure in buying clothes. After Sunnydale, she had viewed her usual interests with dim enthusiasm, at best.
 

"God, it's so nice being able to try on clothes and have some of them fit!" Buffy exclaimed in joy.
 

"I totally know what you mean. It can be AWFUL! " Fred sympathized. They both wound up with a few shopping bags full of clothes.
 

"This has been super fun for me, when I would go shopping with Cordy, she would just turn her nose up at everything I looked at, " Fred told Buffy. That made Buffy laugh, recalling her own memories of QueenC. They had stopped at an ice cream store and were sitting out in front at a table, watching the traffic go by.
 

"Been there, done that. You should have seen her in high school, we're talking the major bitch of the school. Couldn't believe it when she lowered herself to be with our friend Xander," Buffy admitted. "Do you know about Xander?" At Fred's nod, she continued, "Underneath all that bitchy exterior though, she had a good heart."
 

"Yes, I know. Angel really cared about her. It's been hard on him." Fred revealed. "You know what, I'm really glad we got a chance to do this. That I got a chance to spend this time with you. For so long, it seems like I've had to live with your memory, " At Buffy's shocked looked, she hurried to say, "In a good way though. Then Spike came back, and oh my god, almost every thing between he and Angel was about you."
 

"I take it they acted a bit immaturely?" Buffy said with a grin.
 

"A bit doesn't even BEGIN to cover it," Fred gushed.
 

"And the stupid part of it was, Angel seemed to be pretty much over you. No long brooding spells, or anything. But all Spike had to do was egg him on, and it got Angel riled up all over again."
 

"Yes, Spike is good at that," Buffy admitted. "He knows just how to push people's buttons. "
 

"But that's because he can read people so well. He has a gift." Fred revealed.
 

Buffy smiled at her. "He really does." Her smile turned to one of sadness. "You know, I really don't deserve him. I pushed him away for so long, was so awful to him. Had it in my mind that HE didn't deserve ME. When all this time, it's been the other way around."
 

Fred sat forward in her chair and gave Buffy a compassionate look. "He loves you, Buffy. Every time he would talk about you, he would wear it right there on his sleeve. Consider this a clean slate for you two, and start over. Don't let your friends influence you this time, give this time to yourself. You both more than deserve it."
 

At the tears streaming down Buffy's face, she wailed, "Oh Buffy, I didn't mean to make you cry! I'm so sorry!"
 

 

She was surprised when the blonde reached over and gave her a hug. "Thank you." Buffy said to her, pulling back and wiping at the tears. "God, I'm so lame. I haven't cried at all since Sunnydale, and this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've broken down today."
 

"Well, I'm no shrink, but I'd say you have been repressing some pretty hard-core emotions there, and now they are busting their ass to make up for lost time." Fred announced.
 

Buffy sniffed, and gave her a smile. "I think you're right. You know what, Fred? You are a really good person, you know that?"
 

Fred blushed. "I know, I know. I'm sweet, I'm good. I think it's my curse."
 

"No, it's not a curse. It's an asset." Buffy finished spooning her ice cream in her mouth, and got up to throw the bowl in the trash.
 

"Ready to get back?" Buffy asked, slinging her purse on her shoulder.
 

"Yep!" came the reply, as Fred stood up and took care of her own trash.
 

Fred dropped Buffy off in front of the hotel, and Buffy thanked her once again. "Please tell me we can do that again?" She begged the brunette.
 

"Count on it!" Fred replied, as Buffy leaned over and gave her another hug. "Thanks again, Fred. I really needed this." Buffy admitted. "Me too," Fred revealed. Buffy got out of the car and waved good-bye to her new friend.

Buffy's steps were light when she walked into the lobby of the hotel. She found Spike sprawled on the circular couch, reading the paper. He's obviously showered and changed clothes in her disappearance. Sporting his usual black T-shirt and jeans, he looked more like the Spike she remembered.
The smile that lit up his face when he saw Buffy made her heart melt. Oh god, this is exactly what she needed, who she needed. Fred was so right, they did deserve this time, everyone else be damned.
 

"Have fun, pet?" he asked, giving her a welcoming kiss.
 

"I did. Got some groovy new clothes too!" she announced, sitting next to him on the couch. "Whatcha been doing since I've been gone?"
 

"Had a work out with Dana. Got her pissed off. The usual," he revealed.
 

"You pissed her off? Boy, what a challenge that must have been for you, because you don't piss ANYONE off, do you?" she teased.
 

He just grinned at her in response. "Gets her mind cleared, when she gets mad. Gets her focused. I get her all riled, then she goes off with Andrew. The next time I see her, she's just that much clearer."
 

"So what really happened when you first saw her?" Buffy asked him, curious.
 

"Tell you what, let's take these bags upstairs, and I'll tell you all about it." He stood up and grabbed her hand, grabbing the bags with the other and he led her up the stairs.
 

Buffy noted that the room that she thought Andrew was staying in appeared to be vacated. "Where'd he go?"
 

Spike got an evil grin on his face. "Well luv, that's an interesting little story there. Seems our boy Andrew isn't as dumb as he appears. He claims he still has nightmares from the sounds coming from the basement in Sunnyhell, and he moved himself and Dana to the other side of the hotel." He then leered at Buffy.
 

She smacked him. "Pervert. You were the one making all the noise in the basement."
 

Spike snorted. "That's not what I recall, luv."
 

Buffy shrugged nonchalantly. "Your basement, your noise." and she walked into the bedroom and threw herself on the bed. He followed her into the room, locking the door.
 

Spike threw himself down next to her and gathered her in his arms. "I'm so glad you're here, luv." He whispered in her ear, licking a wet path down to her neck.
 

Buffy shivered. "Not as happy as I am to be here," she whispered back, enjoying the feel of cool mouth pressing feather light kisses over her neck to her collarbone.
 

"So you still wanna talk, pet?" he murmured, moving to the other side of her neck and starting over.
 

"God no," she moaned. This felt so good. Nobody could ever make her feel like Spike did, and now without the feelings of guilt pressing down on her, she wanted to feel him again. This would be their first time with no games between them, just pure emotion, pure love.
 

"Good answer," he whispered, capturing her lips and rolling on top of her. Her mouth opened under his, and his tongue gained entry, prodding and engaging her tongue in a duel. She sucked on his bottom lip, biting on it gently. At his growl, she slid her hands under his t-shirt, running her hands along his firm cool flesh. Impatiently, she tugged the shirt up and over his head, throwing it on the floor. Her hands found his belt buckle, undoing it and unbuttoning his jeans. he helped her push them down and off. Her hand closed on his erection, reveling in the sensation of its cool, thick hard length. as she stroked it with her hand.


"Oh god, luv, just like that." Spike groaned, closing his eyes in pleasure. He quickly divested her of her shirt, the need to feel her flesh under his growing in its intensity. In a matter of seconds, Buffy lay under him naked, and his hands felt like they were everywhere at once, stroking, caressing.
 

"Spike, I can't wait. I need you," Buffy moaned, the need for him overwhelming her. Spike didn't need to be told twice, and he quickly guided himself into her and plunged deep inside. They both looked shocked at the sensation, staring deep into the others eyes. Then Spike started moving inside of her, and the sensations building inside Buffy grew to alarming proportions. Spike reached his hand in between them and flicked his finger over her clit, and that was all Buffy needed to take her over the edge. She screamed in pleasure as wave after wave of pleasure rushed over her. Her inner muscles tightening and releasing against Spike's shaft causing him to spill himself inside of her, as he came with a growl.
 

When they both came to their senses, Spike smirked at he and said, "See luv, told ya all the noise coming from the basement was you."
 

Buffy slapped at him weakly. "Shut up. I don't even have the strength to think about kicking your ass right now, so leave me alone." she whined.
 

He smiled at her lovingly, and gave her a gentle kiss. He flipped himself over and drew Buffy in the circle of his arms. "I love you, Spike."
 

"Love you too, Buffy. Christ, that was bleedin amazing, luv." he announced to her.
 

"Got that right." She replied contentedly, laying her head on his chest, rubbing her hand up and down his abdomen.
 

They both groaned when the phone rang. "I'll bet that's Giles. I was supposed to call him when I got in, kinda forgot." Buffy admitted. Spike leaned over and grabbed the phone off the hook.
 

"What?" he growled into the phone, knowing from caller ID that it was Giles.
 

"I see your manners haven't improved much, Spike. Is Buffy there?" Giles asked.
 

Spike just handed the phone over to Buffy. "Hi Giles," she greeted him with.
 

"You were supposed to call me when you got there, remember?" he said to her.
 

"Oops, sorry Dad." She joked. "My bad."
 

"So, can I inquire how things are going?" Giles asked in a perturbed voice.
 

"They are going really great, Giles," Buffy said, with a happy tone in her voice.
 

There was silence on the other end. Finally, Giles said, "I trust Dana is doing well?" Buffy was a little taken aback at the cool tone Giles was using.
 

"She is fine. Between Spike and Andrew, she's being well taken care of." she told him. "How's Dawn?"
 

"Fine. Wants to know when you are coming home. I'd like an answer to that also, Buffy." Giles asked, his tone slightly hostile.
 

What the hell? "I just got here Giles. I can't answer that right now."
 

"So, the slayer school? What's supposed to happen to it while you're off in LA?" Giles asked.
 

"What is this about Giles? You said Kennedy was coming in to cover it. You didn't appear to have a problem with it before I left, what's with the major attitude now?" Buffy demanded, her temper rising. Spike raised an eyebrow in her direction, but she waved him off.
 

"The concern that I have is this. You were finally focusing your attention on something important and working towards a goal. You worked hard on the school. And now, suddenly Spike is back, and in a heartbeat, you up and leave it and go running off to LA. That's my concern, Buffy." Giles replied.
 

Tears came to Buffy's eyes, and all she could manage to say was "I can't talk about this now." and she leaned over Spike and slammed the phone down.
 

Spike drew her in the comfort of his arms, and tried to soothe her. Finally, her tears came to an end. "What happened, Buffy?"
 

"Giles. He's still on the same ole 'Spike's a distraction you don't need' bandwagon." She replied bitterly.
 

"Wanker."
 

"Got that right. God, I thought things had changed, he had changed. But now I realize it was just because he was being allowed to lead my life again. Now he's feeling all threatened." Buffy ranted.
 

"Yeah, the Big Bad tends to do that to people." Spike replied smugly.
 

Buffy laughed, in spite of herself. "Should have known things were going too good. Can't have an angst free life in the world of Buffy, there always has to be something trying to war with another part. This sucks."
 

"That it does, luv. That it does. But come on, get dressed. Let's go see if we can get Dana to leave the hotel and go out to dinner. That'll make you feel better, because trust me, that'll be a challenge." he told her, bouncing out of bed, and tossing her clothes at her.
 

"No way! I want to wear some of my new stuff." Buffy huffed at him.
 

He threw his hands up and said "Whatever!" She gave him a perky smile as he threw her bags at her. She rummaged through them and found something, then disappeared into the bathroom to get ready.

TBC
Disclaimer-I do not own the characters of BTVS and Angel

Chapter 11
Hyperion Hotel

As Spike had predicted, it was a challenge to convince the younger slayer to leave the hotel. Dana turned fearful eyes in Buffy's direction, but Spike just growled at her.
 

"Dana, get your ass up and go get ready. You're going to turn into Fred if you keep this up."Buffy looked at him in confusion but he just gestured that he'd fill her in later. He had a tirade to continue. "Nothing is going to happen to you that you can't handle, it's just dinner."
 

She looked at him trying to be defiant. "I don't want to go."
 

"I know you don't, ducks. That's why you're going." Spike told her. "Have I steered you wrong yet?" Dana shook her head. "Do you trust me?" Without any hesitation, she replied emphatically "yes."
 

Spike grinned at her. "Well, then, trust me to know what you can and can't handle. And you CAN handle one little outing to go get pizza with your friends."
 

Dana processed that information. Friends, she had friends? She knew she had had friends before IT, when she was a young girl. She could barely remember them though. She had taken to calling the time after she was abducted "IT". All memories and feelings were surrounded in one big IT. She tried to forget IT, but Spike usually wouldn't let her. Instead of becoming more painful, she was finding it easier to think about IT without feelings of overwhelming anxiety.
 

She knew Andrew was her friend, he was like her rock. It surprised her that with the sexual abuse she had suffered as a child, living with two men did not frighten her. It actually hadn't occurred to her until that moment. Maybe because one was a vampire who she knew was in love with Buffy, and one was like an overgrown child. She didn't always understand Andrew. he would rattle on about things with bizarre names, and Dana would finally have to ask him if they were things in real life. He would admit sheepishly no, so she knew she didn't have to try to commit them to memory. She could relax around him. If she zoned out, chances were he wouldn't even notice, usually lost in his own little world. Thinking of all the time they spent together, watching movies, talking, Dana told herself, yes, Andrew was most definitely her friend.
But Buffy? She didn't know her, not in person. She felt intimately connected to her, having experienced her memories. But she felt uncomfortable around her for the same reason. Buffy had been friendly since she had arrived, but her attention had been directed at Spike. They had yet to have any time together to talk.
 

"Dana... earth to Dana.." She realized Andrew was saying to her. Her attention slammed back to present and she said "Huh? What?"
 

"Ah, welcome back, my child." Andrew replied. "So are you going?"
 

A sliver of fear sliced through her, but she fought it back. Gulping, she nodded, eyes slightly wide.
 

"Relax ducks, it's just pizza." Spike told her. He had decided that would be the best place to go, since Dana was still working on some of her table manners. Hands worked well with pizza, thus manner problem solved. Well, not solved so much as averted. It amazed him that things like table manners she had completely repressed. He knew she had to have had a basic understanding of them before her abduction, but if she remembered anything, he had yet to see it.
 

Dana's mind was working frantically. She looked at the outfit Buffy was wearing, then looked at herself. Vanity, in all it's primitive glory, reared it's head. "Um, what should I wear?"
 

Spike scowled. "Isn't that just like a woman? Just wear what you have on." Gesturing to her sweat pants and T-shirt that she had worn for training.
 

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Shut up, Spike." She took Dana's arm and said "Come on, let's go find you something. Men can be dense about these things, they just don't understand. Why the hell do you think Spike hasn't changed his look in oh, 30 years or so? He's under the delusion he looks cool." Buffy told the younger slayer as they made their way out of the lobby.
 

"Hey! I heard that, you bint. Why should I alter perfection?" Spike yelled after her.
 

That earned a groan being tossed back at him. "Yeah, you just keep telling' yourself that. It's easy to cling to that delusion when you can't see your freakin' reflection in the mirror, you moron!" Buffy shouted back.
 

"Hey, if you dislike it so much, then what was up that time you dressed in my clothes and paraded around..."
 

He heard a gasp come from the top of the stairs, and Buffy came flying around the corner, a look of pure fury in her eyes. Spike smirked, oh yah, he had her but good with that one.
 

"If you DARE to finish that statement, you are a dead man." she hissed.
 

"Already dead, luv." He turned to Andrew, and said "So anyway, she puts my clothes on,"
 

"SPIKE!! YOU ASSHOLE!!! YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!!" Buffy screeched. Spike turned to her, his face full of amusement.
 

"Oh luv, you're so easy. Haven't you learned by now it's not worth it to start shit with me? Now go on, pet. And let this be a lesson to you. Don't mess the Big Bad." he announced, gesturing to her to leave. "Go on now, shoo."
 

"You are so dead. Deader, I mean." She threw an icy glare his way and stomped back up the stairs. Spike heard her muttering about 'stupid fucking vampires' and 'why do I put with this shit' and he grinned to himself. God it was good to have her with him again. He loved her wit, her passion. He loved picking on her.
Andrew was looking at him. "So what did Buffy do with your clothes on?"
 

Spike grinned at him evilly, "Oh Andrew. That is a tale not for your delicate little ears. I was just trying to get Buffy riled up, is all."
 

"Ah got it." Andrew said. "But I still want to know."
 

"Sorry, I do value this body, you know. Don't wanna truly brass off a slayer. Not when you're a vampire, and all." Spike replied.
 

"Yeah, I value that body too." Andrew said, then realizing exactly what he had revealed, stuttered "Uh, I mean, I don't want anything to happen to you."
 

Spike gave him a strange look. "You're strange Andrew. You're lucky I like you." With that parting comment, he took himself into what used to Angel's old office. He had cleaned it out and made some decorating changes, borrowing some items from various rooms. It now was almost cheerful, not the brood inspiring office that it had been. He sat down in the big leather chair and grabbed the phone, he had a call to make before they left for the evening.

Watcher's Council - England

After Giles was disconnected with Buffy, he refused to admit that she hung on him, he flung the phone to the ground. After all the work he had put towards rebuilding the new Council, Buffy looked like she was going to be abandoning ship. Her involvement was crucial. The girls needed her guidance and expertise. His anger flared, god damn Spike ruining everything again.
 

He couldn't quite work out in his mind EXACTLY why he was so angry about this. He just knew that he was. Perhaps because he had come to terms with the fact that he had tried to have Spike killed, yet the vampire had wound up saving them all. He had dealt with the guilt from that, and had swept it under the rug. Spike was gone, no use crying over spilled milk, that sort of thing.
 

But now, Spike was back. And the feelings of guilt were coming back to haunt him. Why the bloody hell couldn't the vampire just stay DEAD??? What was it with he and Angel? They die, but they just keep coming back.
 

And now, Buffy was over in America, reunited with her lost love. How could he compete with that? He wasn't so blind to not notice that they really did love each other. Spike had been her anchor during the fight with the First. Anger washed through Giles. he bloody well should have been her anchor. Stabbing at him, were memories of all of them ganging up on Buffy and driving her from the house. Spike and Andrew coming back and that damn vampire calling them all a bunch of traitors. And that son of a bitch was right. They HAD been a bunch of damn traitors.
 

Did I stand by my slayer? No. The only one she had been able to turn to was Spike. He had been there for her, completely and totally. Misdirected anger once again coursed through him, why the HELL did Spike have to come back? It ruins everything. Niggling in the back of his mind was the fact that he was blaming the wrong person for this. Quickly, he thrust those thoughts away.
 

His telephone rang, snapping him out of his mental tirade. "Giles" he snapped in the receiver. It was very early in the morning in England, but Giles had stayed at the office waiting for Buffy's phone call.
 

"Watcher."
 

Giles didn't need to ask who it was. There was only one person in the world who could make Watcher sound like such a dirty word.
 

"Spike. I don't really care to speak to you right now." Giles said.
 

"Think I bloody care? You're going to. What in the bloody hell are you messing with this time, RUPERT," Spike asked in a condescending tone.
 

"I don't think that is quite your business, Spike." Giles snapped.
 

"That's where you're wrong. Buffy IS my business, whether you want to admit it to yourself or not."
 

"She is my slayer," Giles tried to say.
 

"That's where I think you've got pieces of your memory missing, old man. Does your trying to kill me and Buffy telling you to go to hell ring any bells? Hmm?" Spike asked."And then I think you gave up your status as her watcher when you allowed her to be kicked out of her own house."
 

Spike was striking too many points. Guilt was slamming into him full force and there was nothing Giles could do to stop the deluge.
 

"What the hell do you want, Spike?" he finally snapped.
 

"What I want is for Buffy to be happy, you wanker. Bloody hell man, have you even really looked at her lately? She looks terrible, Rupert." Spike told him. Even Giles had to recognize the concern in the vampire's voice.
 

"Well, she's been working hard." he tried to bluster.
 

"Bullshit Rupert. You and I both know it's more than that. Tell me, did she ever cry after Sunnyhell? Spike asked.
 

Giles had been concerned about that himself. Damn Spike, he always managed to pluck whatever you didn't want to face right out your mind. Twisting it, so you had no choice but look at it.
 

"No, I never saw her." he finally admitted.
 

"Didn't that ever concern you? You KNOW how she represses her feelings. I mean, come on, how many times has she done it?" he asked.
 

Giles was silent for a moment. His guilt was now threatening to overwhelm him. He did know how Buffy tended to repress her feelings, but he let her do it. Sat there, and watched it happen. The way she threw herself into the school, the weight she had lost, the dull look in her eyes. It was all right in front of him, but he was too wrapped up in himself to see it. No, that wasn't true. Come on, let's finally be honest with ourselves, he told himself. He knew why he let her do it. Because she was repressing her grief over Spike and he didn't want to face it. Didn't want to hear it. God, he was selfish fucking bastard.
He sighed loudly, and Spike took that as a sign to keep talking. "Do you want to know what the first thing she did when she saw me? She cried, Giles. Then she hugged me. Already, in just half a day, I can see a difference. She's eating without being told, we've sparred, she even went shopping with Fred today. Y'no, the one Angel saved from that weird dimension? She's laughed today and cried multiple times. Now let me ask you something. Has Buffy done any of those things since I've been gone?"
 

Giles didn't want to answer that question, but knew it was time for honesty. "No. No she hasn't, Spike."
 

Now Spike let his anger go, "Then please tell me why the fuck you are trying to mess with her head? Why the fuck you won't just let her be happy for once in her goddamn life?"
 

And there it was. Giles knew there was no way he could justify his actions, his feelings. He had to face the truth.
 

"Why? Because I don't want her with you, Spike." he finally told the vampire.
 

The sound of raucous laughter sounded over the phone. "Tell me something I don't bloody well know, Rupert. But I'm thinking the truth runs more to you not wanting to admit you were wrong about me." Spike announced.
 

Bastard. Always had to be right. Giles knew that was exactly why he was so upset about this.
 

"Maybe." he conceded. He gritted his teeth when Spike chuckled. He could just hear the smirk coming through the phone.
 

"Don't worry RUPERT. Won't be asking' for an apology. For me anyway. You will apologize to Buffy though." Spike informed him.
 

"I don't want her over there."
 

"Here's a newsflash RUPERT. It's not your bloody life. You think she can't do whatever it is you need her to do someplace else? Oh wait, you won't be able to lord over her that way. Is that it?" Spike taunted.
 

"No, you bastard. I don't want her hurt again," Giles ground out.
 

"And here's another newsflash for ya, Rupes. I'm not the one who's been hurting her lately. You must have me confused with someone else. Who could that be? Oh wait. That would YOU." Spike replied smugly.
 

Giles gritted his teeth. Why the hell had he put himself in this position? He must have been insane.
 

"So here's what you're going to do. You are going to call Buffy and tell her you're sorry." Spike told the other man, keeping an eye out for Buffy. He had been on the phone for a while, and he didn't want to get caught.
 

"And you're not going to tell her you talked to me, you got that? For some reason, your opinion still matters to her, and it crushed her when she talked to you earlier. Do we understand each other?" Spike asked.
 

Giles sighed deeply again. Spike was right, he had acted like a bastard. It was time for him to face the truth, and blame the person who was really at fault. Himself. "Yes, Spike, we understand each other. I'll give her a ring in a few minutes."
 

"Good, don't make it too much longer, the 4 of us are goin' out for pizza." he announced.
 

Giles was startled by the stab of jealousy that followed that statement. His life now was fully encompassed by rebuilding the Council. He had no social life anymore. It didn't seem that long ago that going out for pizza with his slayer and her friends was a normal occurrence. He realized he missed that, the way things used to be.
 

"Fine. Hang up, and I'll call back in 5 minutes, " Giles replied.
 

He wasn't surprised when he heard a click on the other end. He put his phone down slowly. He felt mentally drained. He went over to his bar and prepared himself a drink, taking it back to his desk with him. He sipped it, becoming nostalgic for the old days. When there wasn't this tension, when the Scoobies weren't split apart all over the world. Where Anya wasn't dead. He realized that was one reason why he resented Andrew so much. Anya died saving his life.
 

Shaking those thoughts from his head, he picked up the phone again.

TBC....

 

 

Chapter 12


The phone rang back at the Hyperion five minutes later, Spike just picked it up and barked "Wait" at Giles. Putting the phone on hold, Spike went to the bottom of the stairs and yelled for Buffy to pick it up. He heard a yell back alerting him that she had heard him, and Spike went back to his office to make sure the line was picked up.

Not able to help himself, he stealthily climbed up the stairs, following the muffled sound of Buffy's voice as his guide to pinpoint her exact location. Spike could tell she was upset by the tone she was using, and cursed Giles once again.

"Giles, I don't want to talk about this, I told you that earlier." Buffy announced firmly into the phone.

She heard a loud sigh come over the line as Giles said. "I realize that you don't wish to speak about what your plans are, Buffy. That's not why I called. I called to offer my apologies for my... attitude towards your relationship with Spike earlier."

Buffy was silent, she honestly didn't know what to say. Finally, unable to help herself, she snapped "My relationship with Spike will not be up for debate again. I love him, he loves me, and we're taking this second chance we were given. I am NOT going to let you or anyone ruin it for me this time, Giles, do you understand?"

"Yes, Buffy. I do. I may not like it, but I understand." Giles replied grudgingly, bringing the glass tumbler up to his lips and taking a sip, welcoming the smooth taste of the amber liquid as it slid down his throat.

Buffy felt her temper flare at Giles last comment, and resentment shot through her. "What the hell is the matter with you? He DIED saving the world, Giles, and he's still not good enough?" She ground out bitterly.

"Buffy, I only meant....."

"No, I am through listening to you Giles. I so cannot talk about this right now. Good-bye, Giles. I'll let you know when and IF I will be coming back." She told her former watcher, anger evident in her voice, and she once again hung up on the man who had once been her mentor. Buffy looked up to see Dana looking at her with something akin to understanding in her eyes, and the younger girl offered her a hesitant encouraging smile.

Buffy responded to the smile with one of her own, as she tried to push the negative thoughts and emotions away. This was not her problem anymore, making sure that everyone was satisfied and happy with her decisions. She was taking Fred's advice, and giving her and Spike the clean slate that they so totally deserved. She was not going to let anyone else taint her feelings this time.

Spike had heard enough, and was pissed that Giles had managed to muck up the apology, earning Buffy's anger once again. Shaking his head ruefully, he should have known Giles wouldn't have put aside his own petty feelings and think about Buffy for once. Oh, he knew the Watcher cared about her, but Spike knew that comment he had made about Buffy surpassing Giles had been a whole lot of the truth. And Giles knew it too, and Giles had this inferiority complex hidden away deep inside of him. And that is what will never allow the Watcher to truly embrace what made Buffy the happiest. Shaking his head in disgust, Spike headed back downstairs, as quietly as he had arrived, not wanting his slayer to know he was eavesdropping again.

In the room, the two slayers continued their bonding. "Come on girl, let's finish getting ready before Spike comes up and nags." Buffy remarked to Dana, going over to the girl's closet to finish her earlier perusal of its contents. She found a nice pair of brown corduroy flare jeans and a halter top, and picked out a pair of thick soled brown ankle boots with a 3 inch chunky heel. "Where'd you get this stuff?" Buffy asked, admiring the labels and quality she was seeing in the girl's closet.

"Angelus. I mean, Angel." Dana replied, taking the proffered clothing items and going into her bathroom to change. "He had something called a personal shopper bring me a bunch of clothes." She called through the partially open door as Buffy threw herself into one of the chairs to wait for the girl.

Buffy snorted. Personal shopper. Angel had a personal shopper. That thought struck her as humorous, and she snickered a bit. Then a thought struck her. "Why do you call him Angelus?" she asked, curious.

Dana emerged from the bathroom in her new clothes, feeling a bit self conscious. She had never worn anything like this before, and it felt odd. But strangely, it also made her feel more feminine, and she realized it gave her a feeling of empowerment. She liked it.

"I called him Angelus because that's all I ever knew him as.... you know... through you." Dana finally replied, a bit shyly.

Huh. Buffy thought on that one for a moment. "Wait, you mean you didn't uh, see when we loved each other and all that?"

Dana shook her head, and Buffy pondered the implication of that. "Well, in case you're still a bit hesitant about Angel, he's good. We really loved each other, but... we just couldn't be together." Buffy explained. "And he was only evil for a short time, and it really wasn't his fault."

Dana nodded her head in understanding. "I know..Andrew told me about it."

Buffy groaned, well imagining what kind of a spin Andrew would have thrown on the tale. "Well, all I can say, if you need anything cleared up, just ask. i know Andrew and his little theatrical dramas can be a bit confusing."

A small smile played over Dana's face at Buffy's comment. "Yeah, he is kinda confusing sometimes, but I like it. He makes me think, and have to try to figure things out." Dana admitted.

"I'm glad. Did you uh.. have any of my memories of how Andrew came to be one of the good guys?" Buffy asked, glad that this opening had come up.

"Yeah. He and two of his friends wanted to kill you, than your friend found him. And Spike tried to kill him that same day." Dana replied, going to sit in the chair opposite Buffy.

"So, you saw all the times Spike tried to kill me and people around me and you still trusted him?" Buffy inquired, deeply curious. This girl had shared something so intimate with Buffy, and she wanted to know just how intense the memories had been for Dana.

Dana nodded her reply. "I saw all that, but what I felt the strongest from you was your trust. I know he had done bad things, but you had forgiven him and ultimately, he was the one. The one who was there when you needed him, you knew he loved you. You knew he was a special man." She tried to explain, eager to talk about this with this older girl, so she would know just how thankful she was that Buffy and Spike had basically "saved" her.

Sensing Buffy's needed to hear this as well, Dana continued. "When I was experiencing the other slayers memories, I wasn't Dana. Dana was there, but she was too scared to speak up, so I just let myself be taken over by my Slayer side. I don't know if you've ever felt it, JUST your slayer, but it's almost like a wild animal. Not much control, just strength and in my case, anger. Dana was too scared to try to yield control over it."

Buffy thought about what the girl was saying. "It almost sounds like Spike and his demon." She said, almost to herself.

Dana nodded, "We've been talking about that. We think it's a lot like that. If your Buffy side wasn't so strong, your slayer self could just take control."

"Huh. Never thought about that." Buffy replied, her minding working around that.

"But then when I started experiencing your memories, they were speaking to Dana, not the slayer part of me. It just... gripped me. I felt like I had to pay attention because there had to be a reason why all those memories were calling to Dana and not the slayer. After that, I kinda felt like if you could trust Spike, than maybe i could too, so I guess the only way I can really describe it as it gave Dana a chance to come out of hiding." Dana described awkwardly, ducking her head as she spoke.

Buffy gave her an encouraging smile, realizing how uncomfortable this was for the girl. "And how's it going so far?"

"It's going. I've had a few episodes where the temptation to retreat back into myself was really strong, but Spike kinda can sense it and he gets me through it. He told me if I ever felt like I was going to get psycho again, to find him and pound on him. He said he was used to it." Dana remarked.

Buffy visibly flinched, and Dana wasn't so ignorant of things that she didn't realize she had made a major faux pas. "Oh Buffy, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that!" she cried.

But that actually made it worse for Buffy, knowing that the girl had witnessed her horrible treatment of Spike. "You did, and it's OK. I deserve it. I was horrible to him, and I so totally don't even deserve his love now." She admitted softly, not knowing why she was sharing this with Dana.

With a maturity that surprised Buffy, Dana sat forward in her chair and said seriously "Listen, don't you think that. I may not have had all your memories and I may have been previously insane, but I know enough to know that you two belong together. Don't beat yourself up over the past, because that's where it is. The past. You're like me, Buffy. You're trying to create a new future for yourself and find your new place in it, but you have to leave your past baggage behind. Spike told me that, and it's the only thing that has made any sense to me."

Buffy found tears in her eyes listening to this girl as she peered earnestly into her face. Sniffing, Buffy asked "How did you get so smart?"

Dana laughed, tossed her hair back and replied flippantly "You learn a lot in the loony bin."

That had Buffy offering a short laugh as well, as memories of her time in a loony bin flashed through mind. When she'd almost killed all of her friends after being convinced that they were the delusion and she had really been institutionalized for the last few years. That was an eye opening experience, and one that she didn't care to dwell on. Luckily, Dana changed the subject.

"So... I was hoping maybe you could show me how to, you know... put on make up?"

Buffy smiled broadly, this girl was so innocent in so many ways. "Yeah, I guess living with two guys makes it hard to pick up beauty tips." She remarked, standing up and beckoning for Dana to follow her. "Although, I did catch Andrew playing in my make up one day." Dana laughed

The two girls went into Buffy and Spike's room, and Buffy showed her the fine art of cosmetic application. The girl was really stunning, Buffy thought, not much in the way of enhancements required.

Finally, after Spike bellowed at them for the third time to get their asses downstairs, Buffy and Dana  descended the stairs. Seeing the easy familiarity between the two slayers now, Spike realized that the time alone had done them a lot of good. Maybe he shouldn't have rushed them, but Andrew was irritating the piss out of him, and he just wanted to get going. He was going a little stir crazy, and he admitted to wanting to show Buffy off a little. It had been so long since they had been out together, and never truly as a couple. Spike was more than ready to experience that little bit of heaven.

When Buffy reached Spike's side, she dragged him into his office throwing her arms around his neck. Smashing her lips against his, she found she was craving his touch even after just that short separation. She also knew she needed to reassure herself of his love, and reaffirm that she was doing the right thing. His strong arms drew her even closer and he tore his lips away to bury his face into her neck, breathing in her delicious scent deeply. He could hear the blood racing through her veins, and he couldn't help but trace the tip of his tongue along her jugular. He growled softly when she tilted her head back to allow him better access. This was new, Spike realized. This represented a whole new element of trust in their relationship. Before, when Spike would try to worship her neck, Buffy would tense up, her body language shouting to him that access was being denied. He never pressed the issue, he wanted her to see him as a man and not remember the vampire aspect of him. But it had hurt, although he would never admit that to her, that she hadn't trusted him in that way.

But now, here she was, fully baring herself to him, with no hesitation. He gently nipped the area he'd been lavishing with his blunt teeth, knowing he was testing her reaction and wondering how far she was going to let him get. Her response was a low moan, as she rubbed the apex of her thighs against the hardness in his jeans.

Buffy knew she was playing with fire here, but it just felt so good. She'd never let him kiss her neck before, and it wasn't because she was afraid that he couldn't be trusted. It was because she didn't trust herself. Now, things were different, and this was part of finding the new her, she realized.

There was a knock on the office door and Andrew called through "Come on you guys, you have all night for that. Dana's getting nervous, we gotta go hasta la vista, baby"

"Oh bloody hell." Spike grumbled against the curve of her neck, lifting his head up and searching Buffy's eyes for some clue to her thoughts at that moment. He saw love shining at him brilliantly, and he felt a sense of relief.

Smiling softly, he took her hand and brought it up to his lips for a kiss. "Come on, luv. The children await."

Spike threw open the door suddenly, knowing that he would catch Andrew eavesdropping red handed. He smirked when the boy stumbled forward into the room a step. "I was just, uh... waiting for you guys." He babbled, frantically trying to come up with an excuse to get out of this situation somewhat gracefully.

Spike just clapped him on the back, and said "Sure you were, Andrew." Holding Buffy's hand, he pulled he into the front lobby where Dana was waiting anxiously. "Sorry pet, we got a bit carried away." He apologized to her, causing her to blush.

As they walked out the double front doors, Spike remembered to set the security system before they left for the pizza place. Spike had commandeered a four door BMW as his current vehicle of choice from Angel's massive array of automobiles. Buffy snickered as this, causing Spike to threaten her with bodily harm if she didn't share what was so bleedin funny. She revealed the fact that sight of the Big Bad behind the wheel of a beamer was clashing with his whole image, and thoughts of his prior transportation was flashing through her mind. When she told him she thought it was cute, he snarled which caused her to snicker some more.

Andrew in the back seat wisely advised Dana to get used to these semi fierce arguments, that they occurred all the time and they didn't mean anything. "It's nice to know some things don't change." He remarked.

Buffy and Spike had no reply to that, and the rest of the trip was spent talking about future training exercises. Dana was eager to train with Buffy, and it wasn't too long before she would be ready to try her first patrol, with Spike and Buffy by her side. That would be a true challenge, they knew, of her mental state, if she could get through that without succumbing to her fears.

They pulled into the lot of a busy hip pizza joint, which seemed to cater to college kids. They had music playing inside, and Spike informed them that there was dancing after 10pm. Spike told Buffy to find a table while he and Andrew went to order, so Buffy grabbed Dana and pulled her along. Dana was looking around wide eyed, with a slightly dazed look in her eyes.

"You know, if you start feeling weird again, you can always hit me too." Buffy informed her, hoping that would do to ease the tension she could feel bouncing off of the girl.

Dana gave her a grateful smile and made a conscious effort to relax. "Sorry. It's just a little overwhelming."

Looking around, Buffy replied, "Have to admit, it's a bit overwhelming for me, and I've usually chock full of sanity girl. I've haven't gotten out much lately." They reached an empty booth in a quiet corner, and as they slid in, Buffy could tell the anxiety was backing off. She looked over Dana's shoulder and saw Spike and Andrew making their way to their table. God he is so gorgeous, Buffy thought. And he's all mine...


TBC
 

Chapter 13


Spike saw the look in Buffy's eyes and he could feel his non beating heart turn into an oozing gelatinous mass at the sight. This is the way he had always dreamed they would be together someday, and now his wish had come true. If Spike had any lingering doubt over Buffy's feelings for him, the smile she was giving him at this moment was all that he needed to reassure him of the validity of her love. He could do nothing but smile brilliantly back at her, as he slid into the booth next to her, kissing her quick and hard. He was pleased to note the sudden rise in her pulse, nice to know that even a quick kiss could get her blood pumping.

"Took you guys long enough." Buffy teased, slipping her hand into his and placing them on her lap.

"Yeah, well Andrew can't seem to make up his mind about anything." Spike revealed, putting his arm around Buffy, happy when she leaned into him.

"Hey! Hello! Wasn't my fault! Excuse me, but was I the one who kept turning around to look at a certain someone instead of looking at the infernal menu? No, I think not, Spike." Andrew commented. "I do believe that was you, my bloodsucking lovesick fiendish friend.

Spike didn't reply to that, just gave him his trademark smirk, knowing Andrew was absolutely correct. He watched Dana look around and was pleased to note a lack of panic present in her eyes. She seemed awed and curious, but not overly anxious. "Whattiya think, pet?" He asked her.

Dana turned to look at him and replied "I like it. It's not what I thought it would be."

Spike's smirk intensified as he remarked "See, I told ya so."

Buffy just rolled her eyes, knowing Spike always had to have the last word. "You're so lame." She teasingly told her lover.

"But that's why you love me though, right slayer?" He whispered into her ear, leaning his head close.

Buffy gave him a coy look and said "Well, that and other reasons."

Spike lifted his scarred eyebrow in question. "And those would be....?"

Adopting her own smirk, Buffy whispered back "Those would be better left for me to tell you at a better... uh.. time."

Spike gave a low purr into her ear that sent shivers down Buffy's spine, as he leaned down to trace his tongue along her jugular again. Again, she didn't tense up, but welcomed it. He repeated the motion once more, and was rewarded by the sudden scent of her arousal. Huh. He wondered why the big change.

Andrew's voice once again interrupted their moment, "Do you ever bite Buffy?" He questioned cluelessly, after watching the little display in front of him. The suddenness of the question took both Spike and Buffy aback, and Spike found himself growling, the nature of the question offending his demon greatly.

"You shouldn't ask questions like that, Andrew." He replied in a steely voice, forcing himself to calm down.

"Why not?" Andrew asked innocently, his curiosity overtaking all rational thought as to why that question might be considered offensive.

Spike took an unnecessary breath before answering. "Because, it's a personal thing, that's why."

"Huh? Say what? You're a vampire, Spike! It's what you do, right? Bite?" Andrew inquired densely. Dana could sense that her friend was mucking into something that was none of his business, and tried to kick him under the table, but managed to miss, hitting Buffy instead. The two slayers exchanged glances, both sharing a look acknowledging Andrew's boneheadedness. Not to mention the volume of Andrew's question was also of concern, he wasn't exactly whispering when he was commenting on Spike's little secret.

Spike narrowed his eyes, and Andrew finally got a clue that this avenue of discussion may be falling somewhere in the no fly zone. "It's a bit different than biting for food, you idiot. Buffy's not dinner, so it's not just 'what I do'. It means something different when you bite someone you love." He ground out.

"So, is that a yes or a no?"

"That is a none of your bleedin business, Andrew!! And I suggest you drop it before I bite YOU for dinner, got it?" Spike growled angrily. Andrew wisely didn't ask again, and the others were lucky for a diversion by the pizza arriving. Spike was relieved to note that Dana was making an attempt at displaying some sort of table manners, but not having to use  utensils had been a wise move.  Spike snorted to himself. The Big Bad coaching someone on table manners.  Bloody ridiculous. After watching Spike inhale a piece, Dana asked "I thought vampires couldn't eat garlic?"

Buffy gave a shrug and replied before Spike could open his mouth, "They can't, but Spike's weird."

"No luv, I'm different." Spike corrected.

"No, sweetie, you're weird." Buffy bantered, leaning in to give him a gentle kiss, whispering "But I love you anyway." He smiled at her, and let her get away with calling her weird. It just felt so good to be here with her, doing something so couplish as going out for pizza, and knowing Buffy was there with him 100%, for the first time. It was an unbelievable feeling.

They spent an hour eating pizza and talking, with Spike downing a few beers. He had made a valiant effort to make Buffy join him in being an alcoholic beverage, but she told him she didn't wish to be a beverage due to the unmixy affect it had on her body. Spike kinda liked her tipsy, but didn't argue with her. Andrew wanted to indulge himself, but Spike wouldn't let him, knowing in advance that it was be an unwise move.

The sudden loudness of the music signaled the beginning of the dance portion of the evening, and if that wasn't enough, the dimming of the lights would have done it. Spike and Buffy looked at each other with memories of the Bronze on both of their minds, and they didn't need words to communicate their mutual desire. One heated glance and a raised eyebrow did that very nicely. In a blink of an eye, Spike had scooted out of the booth, pulling Buffy out with him, and Andrew and Dana watched as they disappeared into the crowd. Both were eager to dance with the other under the lights, not hidden in the shadows.

"Well, I guess they want to go dance." Andrew remarked unnecessarily, turning his attention back to Dana.

Dana was watching the dance floor with fascination, she could feel the beat moving inside of her and she stared at the bodies moving on the dance floor. "What is this?" She asked breathlessly. Andrew had tried to educate her on music, but the stuff he had made her listen to didn't make her feel like this.


"It's crap." Andrew informed her while grabbing Spike's full mug of beer, and taking a sip. His face scrunched up in distaste when he tasted the bitter brew, but he valiantly took a second sip. And another.

"Andrew." She admonished, swiveling her head back to peer at him in what appeared to be exasperation.

Andrew adopted a mock indignant attitude and said "What! He wasn't going to finish it!"

Dana just shook her head patiently, he really could be dense sometimes, as she was coming to find out. "I'm not talking about the beer, the music."

"Oh." Andrew sat back and waved his hand nonchalantly. "That. I think it's 80's flashback night. So that's what I said. Crap."

"I like it." Dana informed him, looking back to the dance floor, catching sight of Spike and Buffy. She noted the video screens that were being lowered from the corners on the dance area, and watched as images flashed on them. "What do you call those?"

"Dana, weren't you paying attention? I did show you MTV, you know. Those are music videos, see, they go along with the songs." Andrew explained, taking another sip of beer. Dana watched as a video came on of someone who looked like her Watcher.

"Is that Spike?" She asked excitedly, pointing to one of the large screen tv's hanging from the ceiling.

Andrew looked in the direction she pointed, and practically spit out his beer as laughter tumbled past his lips. "No, my petite flower, that is Billy Idol, Spike's uh.. idol. Hear this song? Rebel Yell? That's him. Of course Spike will tell you that Billy Idol got his look from him, but I think he dareth protestest too much. Or something like that."

Dana noticed that his words were starting to slur slightly, and firmly took the almost empty mug of beer out of her friend's hand. "Enough." She told him.

"Ok." Andrew said agreeably. "Come along, my little magnadoodle, let Andrew introduce you to an art otherwise known as.... dancing." He slid out of the booth and grabbed Dana's hand, taking her to the dance floor. He noticed some of the guys checking the Slayer out, and Andrew inwardly grinned. Take that, you horn dogs, she's with me.

They reached the middle of dance floor, and Andrew spun her around to face him. He then started to flail around wildly, arms flying, and Dana just stared at him in shock. That can't be right, she thought. She looked around to observe how the other people were dancing, and nobody looked like Andrew. In fact, people were staring at him, but he remained oblivious. Taking a deep breath, Dana tried to feel the beat and made her body move in time with the music. For some reason, it felt like coming home, as she felt the music take her over. God it felt good!! She figured it must be some residual slayer thing, it felt like she was responding to a primal beat or something, but she didn't care. The feeling was completely liberating. She felt a huge smile take over her face and she started laughing. This was fun!

Andrew finally pulled himself out of his self induced drunken flail-a-thon and remembered to see how his previously psychotic friend was faring. He was amazed to see a creature of grace and rhythm before him. "You know how to dance?" He asked.

Still smiling broadly, Dana just shook her head no as she swung her body in time to the music. "Huh. Coulda fooled me." Andrew stated, going back to his intense gyrations.

On the other side of the dance floor, Spike and Buffy were locked in a heated embrace, moving as one body to the music. Their pelvis were fused together, with Buffy's arms wrapped around Spike's neck and his arms clutching her tight around the waist. They looked as if they were indulging in a bit of dirty dancing, and were completely oblivious to anyone or anything around them. Both of their moods were light, and Spike had his face buried in the curve of Buffy's neck as they moved in time to the beat.

"You know, you're spending an awful lot of time with your face there." Buffy remarked loudly into his ear, the intense volume prohibiting the possibility of any meaningful dialogue. She could feel him smile against her skin as he drawled back "Yeah, I guess I am."

"And that's because........?" She asked.

"That's because you're letting me." He replied, licking the same spot he had worshipped earlier. He was rewarded when he felt her small gasp. "Why are you letting me, luv?"

Buffy almost pretended she didn't hear the question, but finally answered "Dunno." She felt the grumble of laughter that came from his body. "Well, that's helpful." He stated.

"Maybe we can talk about it later, ok?" Buffy asked, grabbing his head and bringing his face up for a fiery kiss before pulling back to convey to him with her eyes that she wasn't trying to ignore the subject..

Spike nodded, looking forward to that little discussion later, and he let his hands wander down lower to her hips, pulling her tighter against him. He looked up over her shoulder and saw a retarded looking boy dancing, then realized it was Andrew. He grinned when he caught a load of his slayer, well his OTHER slayer, dancing. He nudged Buffy to look where he was pointing and saw a similar smile adorn her face. They locked eyes, smiling tenderly at the other. It felt good knowing they each had a role in Dana's reacquaintance to sanity. "That boy better get off the dance floor before he hurts someone." Spike remarked, with Buffy nodding her agreement.

Spike moved them through the sea of moving bodies to get closer to the pair they came with. He caught Dana's eye, and she smiled at him shyly. He gave her a big thumbs up sign, and she turned her attention back to Andrew. He really was awful, even Dana's highly inexperienced eyes could tell that.

Suddenly, Dana felt a prickling in the back of her neck, and she looked around. She had come to realize it was her "slayer sense" or vampire radar, and she knew it wasn't Spike setting it off. She got a different sensation around him, for some reason. She looked at Buffy, and saw her alert eyes also perusing the crowd for the one who didn't belong. They locked eyes and acknowledged their mutual awareness with a slight nod. From Dana's spot, she saw the vamp leaving the crowded dance floor leading a clueless young girl, who appeared to be quite happy with her 'catch.' Not realizing that her 'catch' had caught her, and would most likely be having her for dinner in the very near future. Dana got Buffy and Spike's attention, and pointed. Buffy nodded her agreement, pleased that Dana had been able to sense and pinpoint the vampire. More than she'd been able to do when she had first become a slayer.

Dana could feel her slayer take over, and was pleased to note that it wasn't trying to overwhelm her. She realized she had taken control over it, and again, was quite pleased with the liberating feeling this made her experience. Dana was behind the wheel now, and she was ready to go. She grabbed the stake she had put in her back pocket, and followed Buffy and Spike, pushing her way through the sea of people. When they reached the edge of the dance floor, they had lost sight of the vampire and intended victim. Buffy pointed to the back exit, and they moved swiftly to doorway.

"You ok, ducks?" Spike asked, catching sight of the slightly feral look in Dana's eyes.

Dana nodded, smiling. "Yeah, I am. I get to dust him though, ok?" She requested, excitement building. Spike snorted, "yeah, I'll say you are ok. You slayers are all alike, just wanna jump into the fray. Just be careful, ok? " Dana nodded, and the two vampire slayers and one vampire slipped out the back door into the alley to face a vamp that would soon be meeting a dusty end.

The vampire had the girl pinned up against the wall, playing with her a bit before he went in for the kill. Spike motioned for the girls to stay back, his grin telling them that he intended to do a bit of playing himself. This vamp was just a fledgie, a very stupid fledgie.

He sauntered over to where the girl was cowered, and the terrified teen looked at him like he was her savior. Spike winked at her, and turned to address the clueless vamp that hadn't even sensed his arrival.

"Hey, can I get in on some of this?" Spike asked, digging into his pocket for a cigarette and lit it up, inhaling deeply.

The vampire whipped around to face him, and snarled. "Go away, before I make you dessert."

Spike offered him a Buffy-esque eyeroll, and commented "You know, you really are a bloody idiot."

The vampire released the girl and charged Spike, thinking this was an easy kill before him. If he had any brains, it should have given him pause over the devilish grin adorning Spike's face. Right as the vampire was about to hit him, Spike changed into game face and did a push kick right into the vampire's chest, causing his momentum to be shifted backwards and he flew heavily to the ground.

spike walked over to him and put his foot hard on top his chest as he was sprawled supine on the ground. "Lesson the first, learn how to sense another vamp, you moron." Spike flicked his eyes over to where the girl was, and noted the look of increasing panic on her face. "It's ok, ducks. I'm the one of the good guys, I promise." He told her, winking at her once again. He didn't bother to see if his consolation had done any good, as he pressed more weight down on the vampire who lay under his foot. It was satisfying to note the feel of bones crunching beneath his boot.

"What the hell is the matter with you, man!" the fledgling hissed, pain making his face contort even more.

Spike smirked, "Oh, nothing is the matter with me, idiot. But, something is going to be very wrong with you pretty soon. Have you ever heard of a vampire slayer?"

"You ain't no vampire slayer." Came the dense reply.

"Now what gave you the first clue? You must be a genius. But you see, tonight is your lucky night." Spike remarked, lifting some weight off of the vampire's chest slightly. "You see those two pretty ladies over there?" He pointed over to the direction of the door they had all come through. "Dana, come over here, pet. Got someone here I want you to meet."

Fledgie's eyes widened when Dana walked over, stake in hand. He struggled to free himself, but only earned more broken bones as his reward. Dana's eyes went to the intended victim, who seemed paralyzed with fear. She gave the girl an encouraging smile, and turned her focus back to the task at hand. Buffy came up behind them, watching in amusement.

"See, you idiot, like I said, tonight is your lucky night. This here is Dana. She's kinda new to the slayer business, being previously insane and all, and guess what? I'm her Watcher. Yep, you heard that right. The girl has a vamp as a Watcher, the lucky little thing. Now, she's needing a little practice here. And guess what? You get to go down in the Watcher's Journals as my slayer's first slay." Spike told him gleefully.

"You're a traitor to our kind." The soon to be dusted vamp snarled. "And who the hell is that one?"

"I'm a Master Vampire, you bloody fool, while you are at the bottom of the heap. If anyone is a traitor to our kind, it's you with your stupidity." Spike replied, turning to Buffy and gathering her in his arms. "And this? This is Buffy. She's also a slayer. Well, she was THE slayer. She's also my girlfriend." He said proudly, pulling her closer.

Sneering, the other vamp bit out "You make me sick!"

Not lifting his gaze from Buffy's, Spike ordered "Dana, you know what to do."

When nothing happened for a minute, Spike glanced over and saw Dana with an expectant look on his face. "Well??? We haven't got all night here, you know." He told her impatiently.

Dana gave her Watcher a pained look and replied "Can't he like.. run a little?"

Spike groaned, knowing that he was now being faced with Buffy Jr. and almost had a quick pang of sympathy for what Giles must have gone through. Almost, but didn't quite get that far. Sighing heavily, he lifted his foot up off the squashed vamp and told him to run.

Not needing to be told twice, especially if there was a chance to get away, the fledgie hauled himself painfully to his feet and took off. Dana gave an excited smile and took off after him, catching him easily and expertly thrusting her wooden stake through the heart. She looked like a kid christmas morning as she witnessed the dust fall to the ground, and glanced over to Spike proudly. He smiled broadly at her and gave her another thumbs up sign.

Dana turned to the victimized girl who was still frozen in acute shock, and walked gently towards her. "It's ok." Dana said softly, kneeling at her side. "Believe me, I know what it's like to be scared. You're safe though."

That finally broke through the girl's catatonia, and she surprised Dana by launching herself into her arms, crying hysterically. "Oh thank you, thank you!!!" She wailed, with Dana awkwardly patting her on the back. She looked at Spike and Buffy for help, but they just shook their heads at her.

Finally, Dana broke free and said "Come on, let's get you inside." She helped the girl up and again was surprised when the girl threw her arms around Dana's waist, afraid to let her go. Dana realized that this is how exactly she had reacted when Spike found her, she had clung to him like he was a life preserver. And now that is what this girl was doing to her. It was a good feeling, she had to admit. The whole thing had felt good, so right, so natural. And now she was the savior. Yes, things had changed, she had changed. Not surprised at finding a big smile on her face, she helped the girl inside.

Andrew was pretty much oblivious that this had even taken place, and was back at the booth snatching more sips of Spike's beer, when Dana led the girl over.

Spike turned to Buffy and wrapped her arms her, "Well, well. Guess our little bird is ready to fly sooner than we thought." He drawled, feeling a rare sense of proudness.

Buffy smiled her reply, and grabbed his arm and led them inside.

TBC.....

 

Chapter 14

 

    After the excitement in the alley, the foursome of Watchers and Slayers did not stay long at the pizza restaurant. Dana was still buzzed with excitement after her first kill. Well, her first kill of a vampire slaying kind, and was   amazed at how good it felt. To do something right, what she was meant to do. Power just pumped through her, and a happy glow resided on her pretty features.

 

    On the drive home, Buffy turned around from the front seat and commented "It feels good, doesn't it?"

 

    Dana looked at her with a reverent expression. "Oh my god, you have NO idea!"

 

    Buffy gave her a fond smile as she thought about how her SIT's had reacted after their first kill, when she and Spike had locked them in the crypt with a newly risen vampire. Their tone and excitement was very similar to what Dana was exhibiting now, and Buffy realized it didn't matter if this girl had  pretty much been a fruitcake her entire life. She was now a Slayer, and more importantly, she was now acting like a typical teenager. It was good to see, even though Buffy had not seen her when she had been at her most psycho, like Spike and Andrew had. It gave Buffy a happy feeling knowing that she was partly responsible for this transformation.

 

    Spike looked in the rear view mirror and told Dana proudly, "You did good."

 

    She smiled happily at his sincere praise. "Can we go kill something else?" Dana asked hopefully.

 

    That had Spike snickering, as thoughts of his own enthusiasm came to mind after he found out he was able to kill demons.  Buffy gave him an odd look, and he just grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips for a quick kiss. "It's been kind of a full night, Pet. Maybe we should just call it a night."

 

    "But I missed all the fun!" Andrew whined, from his position next to Dana.

 

    "Well, maybe if you hadn't been sneaking my beer, you'd have been a little bit more alert." Spike informed him dryly.

 

    "Not my fault you left a full mug just sitting there." Andrew said with a pout.

 

    "Yes, because the beer was just begging to be drank." Buffy told Andrew cheekily. She was in an amazingly good mood, the best she could remember being in....god she couldn't even remember the last time she had felt like this. Probably around the time Willow had done her Thy Will Be Done spell, and she had been basking in her love for Spike. Granted, part of it had been manufactured, but the feeling had already been there. Well, sorta. And she had been so blissfully happy with him. Buffy had never been able to allow herself to act like that again, even when their relationship had progressed to a truly intimate level. Whoa, bad thoughts, don't go there.  Ok, happy thoughts. I love Spike, and he loves me, and now we can be together like we should have been all along. No more bitchy Buffy, no more scowling judgmental Scoobies, no more interfering Watcher, no more drama and angst. Just me and my guy.

 

    With a sappy grin spreading over her face, Buffy turned to stare at Spike's chiseled profile, and the sappy feeling spread. With a sigh of contentment, she leaned into him and rested her head on his shoulder, inhaling the scent of tobacco and leather, as she   rested her hand on his hard thigh. She could feel the muscles jump beneath their cover of denim, and wicked thoughts came to mind. 

 

    Spike spared a quick glance at his blonde slayer, and was taken slightly taken aback at the look of pure bliss on her face. Only in his dreams did he ever hope to see her like this, and now here she was.

 

    "So can we?" Dana interrupted his musings from the back seat.

 

    "What?" Spike asked, thoughts of Buffy blocking out the previous conversation.

 

    "Go kill more things." Dana replied, exasperation highly evident in her voice. God, she sounded so much like l'il bit just then. Buffy lifted her head   from the pillow of his shoulder and answered for him. "How about we go kill things tomorrow night?  I hate to say it, but I'm exhausted. I'm working on a different time zone here, you know."

 

    There were twin dramatic sighs of disappointment from  the back seat, causing Buffy to laugh.  "Sorry for being the party pooper." She told them.

 

    "This sucks. I never get in on the fun." Andrew complained, crossing his arms and slumping down in his seat.

 

    "Tell you what Andrew, you can kill things to your heart's content tomorrow night, ok?"  Buffy promised him. His face lit up at the prospect, and it shut him up. 

 

    The rest of the drive home was silent, each lost in deep reverie. A general air of contentment filled the car, and Buffy could feel the tension she had accumulated over the last few years just ooze out of her. As they got out of the car, and filed into the hotel, Spike grabbed her hand and gave her a heated look, running his eyes up and down her body.  His gaze held promises of things to come, and Buffy felt her blood begin to simmer, anticipation making her breath hitch. 

 

    Fortunately for them, Andrew and Dana didn't loiter around the lobby, instead heading straight for their side of the hotel to watch movies. As soon as they rounded the staircase and were out of sight, Spike turned to Buffy, and pulled her slowly into a loose embrace. His vivid blue eyes were hooded with desire, and Buffy felt her juices begin to flow when he tucked his tongue behind his top teeth and regarded her with a playful grin on his face.

 

    "Tired, luv?" He asked softly, leaning in to touch his soft lips against the corner of her mouth, not allowing his body to touch hers, taunting her with his nearness.

 

    All Buffy could do was shake her head mutely, as a jolt of desire passed through her. "What was that?" He teased, trailing light kisses along her cheekbone, growling softly when Buffy unconsciously tipped her head back. He had to pause a moment to get himself under control. He had hardly even touched her, but was already in danger of having his control slip. This trust was so new, that he was damned if he was going to ruin it by doing something stupid. Spike slowly stepped closer to her, so her body was aligned with  his, feeling her pert breasts flatten against his chest as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Oh god, you feel so good, I can't even believe you're here." He murmured against her lush mouth, before crushing his lips to hers, boldly thrusting his tongue into the warm recesses of her mouth.  But she was never one to let him be the dominant one, and she met his tongue with her own, as they danced against the other. She tasted so good, like honey and heaven, his own private piece of Eden. And she was his.

 

    Running his hands down the length of her toned body, he grabbed the firm globes of her ass and forced her up, making her wrap her legs around his waist, growling and grunting the entire time. Tearing his mouth away, he buried his face into the warm expanse of her  neck, breathing deeply as he turned and headed for the stairs.

    Giggling softly, Buffy informed him "I can walk, you know."

    "I'm not letting you go, ever." Spike replied in a muffled tone, as his tongue darted out and licked the blue pulsing river that lay buried beneath that perfect skin. He heard her slight gasp followed by a moan, and what was already a painful erection became excruciating. He groaned at the exquisite torture, of her rubbing against his denim strangled cock and her heady reactions to his ministrations. This was going to be good, so good.  He reached the door and flung it open with one hand, striding quickly across the room and throwing his slayer on the bed, not paying attention to the scowl she sent his way at his not very gentle treatment.

 

    "God! Impatient much?" She remarked, indignities forgotten as he gave her a heated look, full of promises and intent. Oh god....impatient GOOD, Buffy thought, as he quickly tore off her clothes. She'd give him hell later for ruining one of her new outfits, but for now, she just wanted to be naked.

 

    When she was bare in front of him, she reached up and yanked him down hard on the bed. "Your turn." She told him, with a wicked gleam in her eye, as she yanked off his shirt, pulling it over his head, feasting her eyes on the perfection that lay beneath its soft cover. He was so god damn gorgeous, and he never even gets to see himself, Buffy thought, as she slid her hands greedily over vast quantities of smooth hard skin.  With a strangled groan, Spike struggled with his belt and zipper, before pushing his jeans down his narrow hips and kicking them off.  He has the most amazing torso, Buffy thought, as her fingers explored every hard plane and contoured muscle she could get her greedy hands on.

 

    With a suddenness that startled her, Spike grabbed her wrists and wrenched them over her head, trapping them easily with one hand as he loomed over her.  She peered up into the dangerous desire filled  depths of his eyes, and her pulse practically doubled as a fresh deluge of desire slammed into her. Spike was letting her know that he was going to be in the drivers seat this time. This was a challenge he had made before, one that usually resulted in a battle for dominance, neither one wanting to give in to the other.  It usually created an almost angry tone, as each tried to get the upper hand. They had trashed his crypt on more than one occasion when he would be foolish enough to assert  this little contest.  Buffy knew what he was doing and why, and there was no hesitation when she tipped her head forward in a slight nod, granting him permission.

 

    Spike let out a pent up unneeded sigh of relief as she gave her consent. It was stupid, pulling this old pissing contest again, but some part of Spike needed to be reassured that things really were different between them. She would never allow him to be truly in charge before, even when they played some of their more nastier games. It was always a fight for dominance, Buffy would never ever  give herself completely over to him. It was symbolic, and they both knew it. Yet he kept throwing it out there, time and time again. And each time, she defiantly refused to let him take charge.  If the challenge wasn't issued, then their sex was a give and take, and bloody fantastic. But it had always hurt that she would never give in to him.

 

    Buffy saw the emotions flickering in the murky depths of his eyes, and her heart clenched. God, she had been so awful to him, such an awful bitch, and all he had wanted to do was love her.  With tears shimmering, she worked one hand free from his grasp, and gently stroked the chiseled plane of his cheek. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

 

    The smile he gave her almost blinded her with its intensity, it was so full of love and wonderment. Then a hint of a smirk crossed his face and he teased "Oh.. you're gonna be sorry."

 

    "Promise?" Buffy replied cheekily, lifting her arm back over her head, allowing Spike to restrain her once again.

 

    Settling himself over her, he purred "Better believe it, baby." He slowly  lowered his lips to hers, and engaged her in the sweetest kiss she had ever been given, all the while lightly grinding his hard on between her glistening folds , rubbing the tip against her swollen nub.

 

    "Spike I need to touch you, please." Buffy begged, as her body screamed for more from this man, she needed her hands free.

 

    He lifted his head up to look at her, cocking his head teasingly to the side. "Only touch, I promise." Buffy assured him hastily, giving a purr of pleasure as he released her hands. She brought them around to his back, running her fingertips lightly over the corded muscles and sinewy skin. He felt so good... Buffy grabbed his ass and pressed him closer, feeling sparks as his erection created more friction against her clit.

 

    "Uh uh uh.. Slayer.  That's not how we play the game." Spike said softly into her ear, nibbling on one delicious lobe.

 

    With a grunt of frustration, Buffy moved her hands off his butt and placed them chastely on his back. "Better." He purred, blowing a puff of cool air into her ear, causing goosebumps to emerge. A wicked smile graced his face, and he raised himself up on his arms and moved slowly down her body until he came to the twin mounds of perfection. "Hello, you two." He teased, dipping his head down to engulf one tip in his mouth, rubbing the hardened tip of his tongue over the rosy nipple.  Buffy moaned, arching her back off the bed. Whatever his mouth was doing was sending pleasure straight to her groin, and she frantically bucked her hips against him to get him to pay attention to other parts.

 

    With a playfully frustrated sigh, Spike said "Slaaayeerrr.. If you don't play by the rules, the big bad vampire is going to have to punish you."

 

    With her own wicked grin settled into place, Buffy sensuously tipped her hips up against his chest, rotating them in a slow circle.  She locked her eyes on his, waiting for his reaction. He groaned, as the smell of her arousal permeated the air, and the feel of her golden curls rubbing against his chest made him crazed with desire. He closed his eyes briefly to get himself under control, then opened them to glare at her. "You're  a bad girl." He told her, moving up her body again so that he covered her. Her hips never stopped their erotic dance, and Spike brought one hand up, fingers digging into her pelvic bone to try and still the tempting movement. "You're asking for it." Spike threatened her.

 

    Eyes sparkling, Buffy taunted "What are you gonna give me?"

 

    "This." He informed her, as he thrust inside of her in one hard stroke, ramming himself to the hilt into her hot passage. He had to close his eyes again to rein himself in, then realized that her hips had never stopped their intoxicating little dance. he could feel her hips swivel in small erotic circles, and when she added a clenching of her vaginal muscles, he lost it.

 

    "Oh you're trouble now." He growled, as he looked down into her mischievous face and began pounding into her. She may not be fighting him for dominance, but she sure as hell wasn't playing a passive role here.  A glaze of passion dulled her eyes, as her breath began coming in short pants. Sex with Spike had always been amazing, but this...this was incredible.

 

    Spike looked down and watched his thick shaft ram in and out of Buffy, with her meeting his every hard thrust and giving it right back to him. They were both grunting now, and Spike was glad he had moved the bed away from the wall, because the bed would have been slamming against the wall with the excessive strength they were now exhibiting.

 

    Leaning down, he captured her lips once again in a passionate kiss, frantic to taste her. He felt her hands  run through his hair, holding his head tightly against hers. If either one of them had been normal people, this frantic coupling would have been shattering. Pelvises slapped together, as Spike ground himself in and out of her warmth, drawing closer to exploding inside of her.  He felt Buffy's orgasm, and it was a hard one, as she gasped his name. Every muscle in her body clenching as deluges of pleasure wracked her, and he knew he was close. He ripped his lips away from hers and buried his face into the crook of her neck, as his balls began to tighten, signaling his pending release.

 

    He didn't even realize he had been licking and nibbling Buffy's jugular, so intent on his own impending orgasm, that her softly spoken words startled him.

 

    "Do it."  

 

    He jerked his head up to peer down at her, his hips slowing their movement. She noted the confusion in his eyes and grabbed his head, bringing his face back to her neck. "Do it." She repeated.

 

    Panic flooded Spike at her urgings, she didn't understand. "No." He replied gruffly, trying to resist the temptation of her hot blood singing to him from that juicy vein. The thought of it shot a wad of desire through him, and he began thrusting slowing into her again.

 

    "You don't want to?" Buffy asked, confused. Isn't this what he had been hinting at all evening?

 

    He brought his head back up to look at her, eyes flashing amber. "You don't understand. It means something. When vampires bite during sex, it means something."

 

    She smiled at him tenderly. "Spike, I know." She lifted her face up to meet his lips. "I love you, and I want you. All of you. And more importantly I trust you. I want you to do it." She drew his head back down. "Please."

 

    It was her last whispered plea that broke Spike's restraint, as his demon took over. Bucking against her hard, Buffy felt his forehead ridges emerge, sharp against her sensitive skin. It was almost like another person had taken over, and in fact, had.  She was loving the demon now, and letting the demon love her, something she had never allowed before.  When she felt him turn his face to the side, away from her, she could still feel his inner battle. She knew he didn't want to hurt her, and loved him that much more for it.

 

    "Bite me." She demanded harshly, feeling her own desire building at the wicked anticipation of having her lover drink from her.

 

    With a low snarl, Spike turned his ridged face back into her neck and oh so gently, allowed his fangs to penetrate her skin, piercing the pounding jugular that lay just beneath. He growled in pleasure as the first flood of rich slayers blood poured into his mouth and slithered down his throat, and greedily took another drink. The result was the strongest most intense orgasm he had ever had. He lost all control for a few seconds as he poured his seed deep into her, while taking deep pulls of the intoxicating gift she had bestowed upon him. It took him a second to realize that Buffy was in the throes of her own orgasm, as she gripped his shaft like a vise, causing him to shudder with pleasure.

 

    Taking one last greedy sip of her blood, he reluctantly pulled his fangs out, putting his fingers to the marks to staunch the flow of blood. He looked down at her almost hesitantly, and was stunned by the look she had on her face. He now knew without a doubt that she loved him. Demon and man, she loved him.

 

    "Thank you." He whispered to her, almost afraid to speak.

 

    She smiled at him, replying "No, thank you. God that was amazing. I had no idea! I felt so close to you."

 

    He gave her a wry grin and told her "Well yeah. You belong to me now, babe."

 

    A delighted smile lit up her face. "Oh, I do like the sound of that."

 

    Spike rolled over, drawing her into his arms where she snuggled contentedly. "I love you." She told him firmly.

 

    "Love you too, Buffy." He replied, as he watched her drift off to sleep with a happy look on her face.

 

TBC.... 

 

This chapter is for BlueIrish, because she likes this story and has been bugging me for more. And also for my new friend Spikesbint, cos she's a sweetie and I wanted to do something nice for her!

Damaged Goods

 

Chapter 15

 

    Buffy woke up completely relaxed, something that was as foreign to her as living a normal life.  She felt the strong arms around her, and couldn't help the sappy smile the spread across her face. The previous night had been the most amazing thing she had ever felt. She had never felt so close to anybody before, especially Spike. She thought they had reached a new level of intimacy since she had arrived on his doorstep, but last night had wiped that theory right out of the water.  Who knew that having him bite her would create such a feeling of connection with him?   Turning her head slightly, she was startled to be met with clear blue eyes looking at her in total wonderment.

 

    "Morning." She greeted softly.

 

    Spike leaned over and pressed a quick kiss to her mouth. "Morning, luv."  He'd been watching her for a while now, waiting for her to wake up, wondering the  reaction he would receive when she finally opened those beautiful eyes of hers.  He knew she had said things were different, and he could feel it was true, but old insecurities died hard. But by the look on her face, he was comforted that she held no regrets of what had passed between them the previous night.

 

    Buffy turned around and snuggled against Spike's chest. "This is nice."

 

    "You got that right, luv.  Bloody perfect, if you ask me."

 

    A hesitant knock sounded at the door, and Buffy groaned. Andrew's voice called through the wooden barrier, "Hey, you guys going to get up sometime today? Because, y'no, it's ok if you aren't.  We were just sort of wondering, so we could like, plan our day, and all."

 

    "That boy has the worst timing." Spike muttered. In response to Andrew's inquiry, Spike called out, "Yeah, we're getting up. Hold your damn horses, will ya?"

 

    "Ok, cool. Uh, we'll be... uh, like, downstairs. Making sandwiches or something." They could both hear him fluttering away.

 

    Buffy looked at the clock and was surprised to note that it was almost one in the afternoon.  They had spent hours in each others arms the night before, finally sinking into an exhausted slumber near dawn.  "Ugh, I so don't want to get up."

 

    "Why don't you stay and sleep a bit more, pet?"

 

    Buffy shook her head. "No. As tempting as that is, I better get up. Buffy needs a shower."

 

    With a smirk on his face, Spike replied, "Don't wash up on my account. You know I like smelling you after we've gone a few rounds."

 

    Buffy scrunched her face up in disgust. "Can I just be the first to tell you how totally gross that is?"

 

    Spike didn't reply, merely bent down and placed a quick hungry kiss to her lips, that ended too soon for both of them.  Before he got anymore sidetracked, Spike swung himself out of bed, and padded naked into into the bathroom.  Buffy just watched him through the open door, as he brushed his teeth and splashed some water over his face.  When he finished, he came out and got a pair of sweat pants and a black t-shirt out of a drawer and slipped them on.  "Your turn in the bathroom, luv. I'll get something ready for lunch, so you've got twenty minutes."

 

    Buffy smiled at him, and nodded her consent, blowing a kiss at him as he left the room. She threw herself back on the comfortable bed, and again relished  the delicious mood she was in. With a contented sigh, she threw the covers back and grabbed some clean clothes. A shower was so on her agenda, regardless of what Spike said. Besides, she knew it wouldn't be long before they indulged themselves in a few more rounds, and she couldn't help that little shiver of wicked anticipation that passed through her at that thought.

*********

 

    When Spike entered the kitchen, he found it empty. Using the intercom system that was installed in the hotel, he paged Andrew and was informed he and Dana would be down in a bit.  Spike told him to be down in twenty if they wanted to eat. 

 

    Looking in the refrigerator, he perused the contents to see what he could throw together.  Now that Buffy was here, maybe cooking duty could be split, but then Spike remembered her horrendous attempts in Sunnydale and hastily rethought that plan.  While he was putting ingredients together for soup and sandwiches, the doorbell rang.  Setting down the vegetables he was slicing, Spike went to answer the door, feeling a keen sense of deja vu. 

 

    Spike's lips curved into a sardonic grin when he saw who was ringing his doorbell. "Well, well, well. Lookee what the cat dragged in."

 

    "Spike."

 

    Leaning against the door jam, arms crossed, Spike tipped his head and replied, "Rupert."

 

    "Are you going to invite me in?"

 

    "Well, I guess that all depends doesn't it?" Spike said, eyeing the Watcher distrustfully. "You going to play nice?"

 

    A weary sigh escaped Giles lips, and he nodded. "Yes."

 

    Spike opened the door wide, and gestured dramatically. "Then by all means, come on in, Rupes, old man."

 

    A haggard and tired looking Giles walked over the threshold, eyeing Spike curiously.  The vampire looked different, and it wasn't just his hair or his casual choice of clothing.  Spike had an air of confidence about him that he never had before, and it wasn't his projected Big Bad image either. It was something else, but Giles couldn't quite put his finger on it.

 

    Spike closed the door behind Giles, taking the suitcase from him and stowed it to the side of the door. He turned to face Giles, and he realized that for once, the Watcher was the outsider.  Spike had spent so much time as the outcast, trying to gain a smidgeon of acceptance from the Buffy's group of merry men,  and just an  ounce of regard from this man in from of him. And now?  Now the Watcher was the one crawling here looking for respect.  It was quite a nice turnaround.

 

    "So, to what do we owe this grand honor?" Spike asked mockingly.

 

    "I came to see Buffy."

 

    Spike gave him a sharp glance, then nodded his head.  "And I'll repeat my earlier question. Are you here to play nice?"

 

    Giles held his gaze and replied sincerely, "Yes, Spike. You have my word."

 

    Spike gave a curt nod, and spun on his heel, heading to a door off to the side. "Right then. Well, she's in the shower right now.  I'm making lunch. You feeling a bit peckish?"

 

    Giles was forced to follow the vampire, amazed that Spike was letting him off so easily.  He was led to a bright airy kitchen, where the staples for sandwiches littered the counters.  "This is a bit like deja vu, you know.  This is almost like my reunion with Buffy." Spike informed him.

 

    "Yes, well, I gather that worked out well."

 

    "Very well." Spike tossed a couple of tomatoes his way. "Make yourself useful, slice these up, will ya?"

 

    Giles did as asked, watching as Spike put together sandwiches and heated soup up. "Where are the others?"

 

    "Andrew and Dana are watching tv, they'll be down soon. Kind of had a late start this morning."

 

    "Why aren't they helping you?"

 

    Spike gave a derisive snort. "Please, Rupert. Andrew's incompetent in the kitchen, except for his baking disasters, and Dana was previously insane."

 

    "So you cook for them?"

 

    "Yeah, I do." Spike replied, a tad on the defensive side.  Giles regarded him curiously once again.  "So, what did you do, Rupert, catch the first plane out here?"

 

    Giles nodded tiredly. "I couldn't leave things the way they were."

 

    "If you hurt her again, you and me, we're going to have words. Do you understand?"

 

    Giles could tell by the steely tone Spike used that more than words would be involved, and he once again nodded.  "Yes, Spike. I don't want to hurt her anymore. You... you were right."

 

    Giles was distracted from his train of thought by the sound of laughter sounding from outside the kitchen. Spike was standing by the open entryway, Giles perched just out of sight.  The Watcher's breath hitched when he saw his slayer round the corner, accompanied by Andrew and a stunning brunette that had to be Dana.  Spike looked over his shoulder at Buffy, and a smile lit his face. " 'ello, luv." He greeted.

 

    Buffy didn't reply, just smiled happily, throwing her arms around his waist as she pressed herself against his back.  Spike reached down and placed his hands over hers, and squeezed gently, looking over his shoulder at her as she gazed up at him, love shining brilliantly in her eyes.

 

    Giles was dumbstruck. My god, he thought. That is what she looks like when she's happy. She truly loves him.  It was almost enough to strike him down, the impact of it.  All this time he had thought how WRONG it was. How WRONG Spike was.  But seeing them, standing before him like this, he now knew without a doubt that it wasn't wrong. It was the one right thing in Buffy's life. And he had tried to destroy it. Again.  Guilt slammed through him, threatening to choke him, and he felt tears crowd his eyes.

 

    It was at that moment that Buffy saw Giles, and it was like a mask was drawn over her face, like her entire essence shut down just at the sight of him.  And it pained him more than words could describe to know that he caused such a reflexive reaction in her.

 

    Andrew ,oblivious to the thick tension, exclaimed, "Mr. Giles! You're here!"

 

    Spike brought Buffy around to his side, keeping his arm around her. Buffy looked up at him, and Spike's petrified heart threatened to crumble at the confusion he saw in her eyes. "Your Watcher's come to visit a spell, luv."

 

    Buffy's voice was cold when she finally spoke. "Why?"

 

    Knowing this was not something that should be explored in front of Dana, Spike headed off the battle before it could come to pass.  "Andrew, why don't you and Dana  go show Rupes to a room, then come back down and eat?"

 

    "Can't we, like, do that later?  I'm hungry!" Andrew announced, casting pleading eyes in Spike's direction. "I mean, some  of us have been up longer than twenty minutes, you know."  He reached for one of the sandwiches, but Spike's vampire reflexes snatched it away from him before he could grab it. "Sppppiiiikkkeee!" Andrew whined.

 

    "Aanddrewww."  Spike mimicked, holding it out of his reach.

 

    With a loud put upon sigh, Andrew turned to Dana, who had been staring intently at Buffy's Watcher. Andrew may have been oblivious to the tension in the room, but Dana wasn't, and she glanced over at Buffy, offering her a small shy smile.  Buffy returned it, allowing her rigid posture to soften a bit.

 

    "Well, Rupert, I suppose I should make some introductions first.  This here is Dana." Spike said.

 

    Giles smiled at the girl in front of him, who continued to stare at him with a piercing look. Giles had the uncomfortable feeling that he was under inspection and was coming up lacking in her regard. "Hello Dana."

 

    Dana didn't answer verbally, her response came as a bit of a surprise when she went to go stand next to Spike and Buffy, arms folded across her chest, her body language clearly announcing who she regarded as friends, and who was the foe in this situation.  They presented a united front, and Giles was struck by the similarity to Dawn's actions when Tara's father came to town, anxious to take her back home.  At that time, the Scoobies had presented a united front, and he had been a part of it. And now? Now he was the outsider, the enemy, the one who was considered potentially lethal to this happy home. Self disgust shot through Giles as he took in Buffy's resentful posture, Spike's barely contained hostility, and Dana's protectiveness.  Andrew still remained oblivious to the tension, and Giles held on to a shred of hope that he still had Andrew's consideration.  How the mighty have fallen, he thought, when being in Andrew's good graces was a patch of light in a otherwise dark sea. 

 

    Taking his glasses off, and polishing the lenses out of habit, with the desperate need to do something with his hands, he attempted to break the tension. "Andrew, would you be so good as to show me to a room?  I came straight here from the airport, and a bit of freshening up is in order, I do believe."

 

    The tension in the air seemed to dissipate slightly, and Buffy allowed herself to relax a bit more.  That familiar feeling of being a disappointment to Giles had seized her the moment she saw him in the room, and she had tried desperately to fight it.  She couldn't do it again, she just couldn't, being made to feel like her decision with Spike was wrong.  No, she WOULDN'T do it again.

 

    Buffy slumped against Spike as she watched Giles exit the kitchen, with Andrew chatting away amiably, Dana following behind.  "Why is he here?" She asked Spike. "Why can't he just leave me alone?"

 tbc..

Chapter16

   

 

    Buffy slumped against Spike as she watched Giles exit the kitchen, with Andrew chatting away amiably, Dana following behind.  "Why is he here?" She asked Spike. "Why can't he just leave me alone?"

    Spike drew Buffy into his arms, laying his cheek on the top of her still damp hair.  Buffy's anguish was palpable, and Spike had to beat back a flash of rage that Buffy was once again subjected to this.  They had both woken up so happy, and in a wave of bitter irony, that had changed with a knock on the door.

 

    "I suspect Rupes is here because he realizes he made a mistake, luv." Spike almost choked on those words, but he knew it was the truth, and he knew Buffy needed to hear it.

 

    "Wow, now that's a first." Buffy commented bitterly.

 

    Spike drew back and looked into her sad face.  "We'll work through it, don't worry, pet."

 

    Buffy just nodded unhappily, burying her face once more against Spike's chest.  They stood like that for an indeterminate time, both taking comfort in the presence of the other.  Spike heard before Buffy the return of the others, and prepared himself for her mental shut down.  To his surprise, she did not retreat back into herself, but treated Giles coldly. Her responses to his questions were delivered in a dull monotone, and eventually he stopped trying to draw her out.  

 

    Lunch was quick and awkward, with Giles turning his attention to Spike and Dana. He asked about the progress that had been made, and Spike found himself answering with a bit of enthusiasm. He was proud of Dana, even Giles could see it.  When lunch was over, Buffy escaped to her room, determined to indulge herself in some good well earned pouting.  Spike took Giles into the training room and put Dana through some sparring exercises.  Giles took note of the almost savage edge that Spike was able to draw out of her, the same way he had always been able to draw it out of Buffy, making both of them better fighters for it.  He had to admit to himself that Spike had done a remarkable job with this young girl, and wondered how she would have fared in England.

 

    The next few days passed by slowly, doing nothing to ease the hostility that hung in the air like a thick fog.  Giles had tried multiple times to talk to Buffy, but she was determined to ignore him, not wanting to hear the apology that was too little too late. 

 

    At the end of the third day,  Giles entered Spike's office with a heavy heart and an inflated sense of guilt. Buffy was watching movies with Dana and Andrew, something she had been doing more of since Giles had blown into town. Spike looked up at him from his position behind the desk and gestured to the stocked mini bar on the far side of the room.  Giles allowed a tiny smile at this, it was obviously a Watcher requisite to be in possession of alcohol at all times. A fact that he was guilty of as well. 

 

    In silence, Giles poured a well aged scotch into a tumbler and brought it over to the chair opposite the huge oak desk.

 

    "Something on your mind, Rupert?"

 

    Giles was taken aback by the lack of sarcasm present in Spike's voice.  "Yes, Spike. I'm concerned about Buffy."

 

    Spike threw him a look that bordered on what  Giles was used to, and he found himself comforted by this. It unnerved him to have Spike acting so different, so.. poised, for lack of a better word. "She was just fine until you showed up."

 

    Giles sighed deeply as he stared into the amber liquid in his glass, swirling it around so the ice knocked against the side with a slight clank.  "I am aware of that Spike.  What I don't know is how to correct it."

 

    "You know where the front door is, don't you?"

 

    The old Giles would have taken a comment such as that and used it to fuel his anger.  The Giles that sat there now  accepted the words for what they were, a test.   "I'm not willing to leave until I've made things right with Buffy."

 

    Spike lifted  his  scarred eyebrow to send the older Watcher a sardonic look.  "And how do you propose to do that?"

 

    "I have a plan, but I'd like to discuss it with you first. Get your opinion on it."

 

    A short bark of laughter erupted from across the desk. "Oh, this is rich, Rupert. You want MY opinion on something?  It must have bloody well killed you to admit such a thing."

    Giles ripped his glasses off in an act of agitation, setting him on the desk in front of him, then took a deep calming breath.   "Spike, I admit I was wrong."

 

    "Eh?  What about?" Spike couldn't help but ask.  The evil that still inhabited his body was shouting with glee that the mighty Rupert Giles had finally deigned himself to admit  his mistakes to what he had always considered a lesser being.  

 

    Giles gritted his teeth in frustration. He should have known the vampire wouldn't make this easy. 'but do you really deserve it easy?  Admitting the truth to himself wasn't something that came easy, but he knew it was something that needed to be done.    "I realize I was wrong about you, Spike." He finally said.

 

    Spike snorted and got up to grab a beer out of the little mini-fridge.  He popped the top and tipped his head back to allow the beverage to pour down his throat, taking comfort in the bitter brew.  Going back to sit down, he kept up his reign of silence.  Fact is, he'd just as soon rip the bastard's head off then listen to another word that spilled from his mouth.  He and Buffy had finally gotten to that place that he had only dreamed of, where she was happy to be in his arms and in his bed, much less his life.  And then this wanker showed up at his door.  Now Buffy had an air of sadness and tension about her that spilled over into their new tentative relationship. And for that, Spike could easily have killed this man sitting before him. But the side of him that had always been able to see  deep into the human mind told him that Buffy needed to forgive Giles as much as Giles needed her forgiveness.  So for that, he was willing to sit and listen to good ole Rupert, the traitorous bastard.

 

    Finding the silence uncomfortable, which is what Spike intended, Giles commented, "I've seen her with you, these last few days.  And I realize just how much you have changed. I never thought I'd say this, Spike, but I can see it now.  You are good for her."

 

    Spike sighed heavily, leaning back in his chair. What he wouldn't have given to hear those words before.  To be held in high regard by this man. For some reason, Spike craved respect, and it had been his downfall when he had been in Sunnydale.  So many times beaten down and disappointed, told he was just a vampire, unworthy of trust.  He looked in  the serious face of the man across from him, and nodded. "Right then, Rupert. Just what is it that you propose?"

 

    An hour, multiple drinks and a few phone calls later, a plan had been set in motion.  Spike had his doubts if this would help matters any, but he had soon realized he'd do anything to resurrect Buffy's  happiness. And he also knew from blinding experience, sometimes to be happy in the future, you have to say good bye to the past.

 

    Not a word was spoken to Buffy, who had toned down her response to being painfully polite when in the presence of her former Watcher.  It did Spike's heart good to see her finally dishing back the pain she had endured over the years as the Slayer.  But he also knew it was eating her up inside.  He had even tried to talk to her about it, but she had given him such a look of disbelief that he had backed off. Wasn't his problem, and Spike was damned if he'd have her mad at him over it.

 

    Another two days had passed, the routine pretty much the same.  Buffy had been taking Dana out places, introducing her to the joys of shopping and going for ice cream, and their friendship had grown.  The evenings were spent patrolling, Spike and Buffy flanking Dana as she greeted her destiny head on, staking vampire after vampire.  Giles and Andrew would hang back and watch, and Giles found himself exceedingly impressed over the training and coaching Spike and Buffy had  provided the new Slayer.  He had asked Spike to be the girl's Watcher impulsively, in an attempt to keep Buffy away from the vampire, but it hadn't taken Giles long to  realize it had been the best decision he could possibly have made.  Giles tried to imagine Dana in England, in the crowded school and came up lacking.  This had been the perfect setting for her. Even Andrew's contribution had been invaluable. His thoughts turned in a different direction, and another plan began forming.  With a rush of excitement, he realized he would need to speak to Spike once more.

 

    Once they were back from patrol, Giles quietly inquired if he could have a moment of Spike's time.  Throwing the other Watcher a curious look, Spike headed to his office leaving Giles to follow him.  Once behind closed doors, they turned to the bar in unison and  helped themselves.  Giles made his a double in anticipation of the words that would soon be leaving his mouth.

 

    The response was pretty much as Giles expected, as Spike stared at him with unconcealed shock.  "You want to WHAT?"

 

    "You heard me, Spike. After seeing the two of you with Dana, I realized what a formidable training team you  are together. Of course, we'll have to talk to Angel about leasing the building."

 

    "It's mine.  Peaches signed it over to me." Spike announced in an offhanded manner, tossing his drink back.

 

    The surprise was expected.  "Oh.  Well.. that was certainly generous of him."

 

    Spike nodded, not wanting to discuss Angel at this particular moment.  "So, Rupert, let me get this straight.  You want to turn this hotel into some sort of Slayer school, with Buffy and I in charge?"

 

    Giles leaned forward in his seat, excitement beginning to shimmer in his eyes. "Oh, it will be more than that. I was thinking more along the lines of someplace to send the girls after they finish their training in England, but before we send them out into the world."

 

    "A bloody Slayer Finishing School?" Spike snorted with disbelief, letting the idea swirl around his head.

 

    "Precisely."

 

    Spike was silent for a moment, letting the idea wrap itself around him.  "It has potential, I suppose." he finally admitted. "So, you're finally accepting that Buffy won't be going back with you?"

 

    Giles sent Spike a pained look.    "Yes Spike, I have seen my error.  At this point, I don't think I want her back. The difference between the Buffy in London and the Buffy I see here is remarkable."

 

    Spike couldn't help the hard look he threw. "Should've seen her BEFORE you got here."

 

    Giles sighed heavily. "I am aware of the damper I have put on things, Spike.  Even Dana is becoming quite proficient at throwing her little barbs."

 

    Spike smiled smugly. "Yeah, noticed that.  Makes a bloke proud."

 

    "So, can I get an answer from you?"

 

    "It's not just my decision, Rupert. Need to talk to Buffy about it. You should have talked to us both, you know."

 

    Again, Giles just stared at this creature before him.  So often in the past Spike would go a time acting with such human tendencies, that Giles would forget he was dealing with a vampire. That was until some comment or posturing would bring it slamming back to reality. But now, it was even more unnerving. 

 

    "You're probably right, Spike. Would you like to speak to her about it, or would you like to call her down here?"

 

    Again, Rupert asking for his opinion threw Spike for a moment, it was so unexpected.  "Probably be better to call her down here. She'll get brassed off if she thinks we were plotting behind her back."

 

    Giles nodded his agreement, relief showing on his face.  He watched as Spike left the office and went upstairs to get Buffy, caught up in thoughts of the past and future.  He nursed his drink along, not feeling the overwhelming urge to cloud his head with alcohol as he had done so often in the past.

 

     So caught up in his thoughts, he started a bit when he heard Buffy and Spike enter the room.  He inwardly cringed at the wary look on Buffy's face, knowing he was responsible for putting it there.

 

    "Rupert wants to discuss something with us, luv." Spike explained, as he sat on top of his desk, drawing Buffy to sit beside him.  She turned her attention to her former Watcher, her face devoid of emotion now.

 

    Clearing his throat uncomfortably, Giles leaned forward in his chair once again. "Yes, well.  I was discussing something with Spike, and.."

 

    "Were you talking about something that involved me without me here?" Buffy asked in a cold voice.

 

    Giles shot a quick glance to Spike before he replied, "Er, yes, I suppose we were."

 

    "Now why is this feeling so familiar? You plotting behind my back?"

 

    Spike gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "Give Rupert a chance to explain, ok, luv?"

 

    Buffy looked over at Spike and saw the pain in his face, knowing that her unhappiness was hurting him too.  She found herself nodding her consent.  "Ok. I'm all for the explanations, Giles. Go for it."

 

    "Right. Well, er, I was wondering if, er.." Giles previous strong grasp of the English language seemed to have deserted  him in one foul swoop, leaving his mind blank and mouth incapable of forming words.

 

    "Oh bloody hell Rupert, spit it out, will ya?  Some of us want to go to bed sometime tonight." Spike complained.  Taking matters into his own hands, he looked at Buffy and said. "Rupert here wants us to start a Slayer finishing school for girls."

 

    Buffy looked at him in disbelief, sure he was joking, then looked over at her former Watcher.  Spike wasn't joking, she realized.  "A WHAT?"

 

    Spike snickered. "That's what I said, luv."

 

    Finding his capability of speech returned, Giles explained, "Buffy, as you know, when the girls finish up at the school, they are lacking something. You, yourself have even commented on it.  I was struck with the idea after watching you and Spike with Dana these last few days.  That is what was missing.  In England, you do a  great job training them with  weapons and how to use their skills to the maximum potential, but they lack the confidence they need.  You and Spike together can give it to them."

 

    "Are you serious?"

 

    "Quite serious.  Spike's involvement with training the potentials was a critical  element in your success.  The two of you together are quite a formidable team."

 

    Giles could see the excitement that Buffy was trying to keep hidden from sight, as if afraid of it being ripped away from her once again.  "Buffy, I strongly feel this is the right thing to do."

 

    Buffy looked over Spike again, looking for his approval.  He gave her a brief nod and smile, letting her know that he was in support of the idea. 

 

    "Uh, how would we do this?" Buffy found herself asking, allowing  hope to filter through.

 

    "This hotel is more than adequate. Its housing arrangements far exceed what we have now, as you well know.  The Council will fund whatever renovations are needed to get the training facilities upgraded." Giles announced, happy that Buffy was warming to the idea.

 

    "One thing I am going to have to insist on here, Rupert." Spike injected. "Buffy and I will have complete control over this thing.  Not going to put up with input from you or the other Council wankers.  Got it?"

 

    Giles hesitated just briefly, a flash of his usual distrust of Spike coming through, but just as quickly, he pushed it away.  With a curt nod, Giles replied, "I think that can be arranged.  You and Buffy will be in charge of this endeavor."

 

    "And we will have ultimate say in all matters, right Rupert?"

 

    Again, that hint of distrust struck him.  "Yes, Spike.  I believe I can guarantee complete say on your parts."  As Giles said the words, he knew they were the right ones to say.  He saw it in the flash of surprise on Buffy's face, and the tinge of pleasure that Spike now wore.

 

    "So, do you think we have a deal here?" Giles asked, not used to being in this role.

 

    Buffy didn't even need to look at Spike to know it was something he wanted to do, but she did anyway.  The smug look on his face camouflaged the real feelings Buffy knew were lurking behind the cocky facade. This was something that would give him respectability, something Buffy knew the vampire craved like blood.

 

 

   Seeing the nod of Buffy's head, Giles felt his tension flee.  he stood up and offered his hand to a surprised Spike, who grabbed and shook with a hint of his supernatural strength.  Giles would not have expected nothing less from him.

 

    "Thank you, Buffy." Giles found himself saying.

 

    The anger that had gripped her since Giles had walked through the door had eased in the last few days.  Now, he was penetrating even those shields and she felt herself softening.  She gave him the first smile since he'd arrived, tentative as it was.  But Giles latched on to it greedily, wanting so much to go engulf his surrogate daughter in a hug, but knowing things were far too fragile for that much intimacy at this point.  But it was a start, and for that, he was grateful.

 

TBC...

 

    The anger that had gripped her since Giles had walked through the door had eased in the last few days.  Now, he was penetrating even those shields and she felt herself softening.  She gave him the first smile since he'd arrived, tentative as it was.  But Giles latched on to it greedily, wanting so much to go engulf his surrogate daughter in a hug, but knowing things were far too fragile for that much intimacy at this point.  But it was a start, and for that, he was grateful.

 

Chapter 17

 

    Buffy's mood the next day was decidedly improved, Giles was happy to note.  Gone was the impartial politeness, replaced with a hint of the warm generous girl that had drawn Giles in. So much so that it had  caused his professional downfall at one time.  Too emotionally involved, the Council had informed him, as they stripped him of his title as Buffy's Watcher.  But they couldn't strip him of his affection for the girl. She was, and always would be, the daughter he never had. 

 

    So intent on gaining her forgiveness, Giles extended a hesitant invitation to lunch.  To his surprise and pleasure, Buffy accepted.  While it wasn't with the bubbling enthusiasm he would have hoped, it was civil, none the less.

 

    When they were seated at the small Italian restaurant a few blocks away from the hotel, Giles couldn't help but jump right in. Unsure exactly how to start, he removed  his glasses to polish, a nervous gesture that Buffy was well familiar with.

 

    "Giles, please don't say you are sorry again." Buffy began quietly, having waited until the waitress had taken their order.

 

    A look of pain took over Giles's weathered face.  "Buffy, you have no idea...."

 

    Buffy shook her head furiously, holding up her index finger in an attempt to silence him. "No Giles. I don't want to hear it.  The only reason I am here is because it bothers Spike that I've been all depressedy girl lately.  Like always, he wants to fix it.  And this time, I want to get it fixed because it will make him happy."

 

    Giles sighed heavily, Buffy's words slicing deep to the bone. Salt poured on wounds already screaming with pain. She was only willing to work things out because of her feelings for Spike. Well, it was a start, he decided.  He nodded, acknowledging her words.  "I know that Spike has been unhappy with me, Buffy. Of the emotions my being here has caused you.  And for causing you that added distress, I must apologize."

 

    Buffy did not reply, and Giles took that as permission to keep speaking.  "I've been unfair to you, Buffy. I see that now. And to Spike." He didn't miss the icy look she sent his way.  "I fear my own...  unhappiness caused me to strike out at those who posed a willing target." Giles took a sip of water before continuing. "And Spike... well, he's always been a willing target."

 

    "Not anymore." Buffy replied resolutely, her own guilt bubbling to the surface.

 

    A small smile played over Giles's mouth.  "No, I quite agree with you.  Spike has changed tremendously.  As have you."

 

    Buffy leaned back in her chair, folding her arms across her chest as she studied the man she loved liked a father.  His deception and treachery had trampled her very soul. Her trust in him had been so severely mangled; first after Sunnydale, then after his attitude when she went to be with Spike that if Buffy was all honest girl, she didn't think there was much hope for recovery. Yet here she was, about to put her faith in him again with this new project. What to do, what to do...  Well, there was only one thing she could do.

 

    "I just need to know one thing. Are you still on the whole Spike is Bad For You bandwagon?" Buffy asked him, her eyes studying the familiar face in front of her.

 

    Without a hint of deceit or reservation, Giles answered, "No, Buffy, I am most definitely not in that mindset anymore. I admit my previous prejudice against Spike created problems once again, but I can honestly say I am ashamed of the way I have treated him. "  Buffy appeared satisfied with his response because Giles could practically see the hostility cascading off of her, a rippling whirlpool of fleeing resentment, and it comforted him.

 

    "Ok, good. just so we're clear here."

 

    Giles allowed himself a small smile. "Yes, Buffy, I do believe we are quite clear.  I am actually finding Spike quite er.. enjoyable. "

 

    "He's always been enjoyable." A pained look shadowed Buffy's pretty features. "It just took most of us longer to figure that out."

 

    Their lunch arrived at that moment, and they settled down to eat, not continuing the present conversation. While it wasn't the most comfortable meal they had ever spent together, it certainly wasn't the worst.  Buffy steered the conversation away from her relationship and focused it on the new finishing school. She already had a good ideas of which girls were ready and would benefit the most from it. The realization that things weren't too far from being set in motion did wonders in lifting both of their spirits.

 

    When they walked back to the hotel, Spike met them in the lobby.  Pulling Buffy to him for a quick kiss, he searched her face to get a read on her mood. To his relief, the cloud of sadness that had been hanging over her since her Watcher knocked on the door  seemed to have dissolved. Without the continual tension present, her face was relaxed and her eyes bright.   It wasn't a far leap to deduce that lunch with her Watcher had gone well. Spike caught Rupert's eye, who gave him a barely imperceptible nod. Giles's own face appeared more relaxed than it had been since Sunnydale had become a hole in the ground.

    

    Without the lack of friction and resentment darkening things, the occupants of the hotel were able to brainstorm and make plans for their new endeavor.  It was decided that Dana would be a co-trainer, with Andrew offering his assistance as a assistant Watcher.  Neither Giles or Spike felt that he was competent enough for his own Slayer. Andrew protested the fact loudly, but Dana pointed out that his attention was often distracted by  things that had nothing to do with vampires or slaying.  He reluctantly agreed with Dana's observation, especially when Dana announced that inattention of his obsessive nature could get a slayer killed. 

 

    To make up for the slight, Andrew requested to be in charge of hospitality, which the other three quickly agreed to his demand, even knowing full well what it entailed.  But Andrew had become a valuable member of the team, and nobody was eager to hurt his feelings.

 

     Spike had contacted Angel and he'd arranged to have crew sent  to make the necessary changes to the training room.  Buffy and Dana made up shopping lists for things they would need, Giles made the needed arrangements with the Council in England and the girls who Buffy had chosen were booked on a flight to arrive the following week.  Buffy's face brightened as the day went on. The feeling that things were completely right in her life had never been so strong, and Spike was the lucky recipient of her happy mood. No more depresssedy girl.

 

    With the whirlwind of activity that now encompassed life at the Hyperion, Buffy realized she hadn't talked to Dawn in a few days.  Her sister had been kept advised of all the latest occurrences in LA, and had seemed genuinely happy for her sister.  Dawn had referred to Giles as a stodgy narrow-minded butthead, and Buffy agreed wholeheartedly. 

 

    Finding a few minutes to herself, Buffy went into Spike's office to place the call to England to catch up with Dawn.  She came out of the office with a perplexed look on her face, her nose scrunched up as she tried to puzzle things out.

 

    "What's with you, luv?" Spike asked, coming out of the training room where he'd been showing the workers the renovations that needed to be done.

 

    "It's Dawn.  The temp they have at the council said she's not there and wasn't expected for a while."

 

    Spike snorted in disbelief.  "And you put stock into something a temp at the great Council of Wankers said?"

 

    Buffy looked confused. "Well, I tried her cell phone too. It's turned off."

 

    "She's probably at the soddin' movies or something. Just give her a ring later." Spike directed in an offhanded manner.  "I need you to show these gents what you want done, so I'm turning them over to you." He stalked away towards the kitchen with Buffy watching after him, her nose scrunched up again in thought.

 

    "Miss?" one of the construction crew prompted.

 

    Buffy turned to them and gave a little smile. "Sorry, I'm all trancey girl today." She flounced in the direction of the training room, intent on going over her very specific ideas for the improvements.  The construction crew, party of six  followed close behind.  There was not one of them that missed the opportunity to ogle the fine ass that was on display before them.  Exchanging lewd looks and gestures, they showed their  gross disrespect while Buffy's back was turned

 

    Putting their professional faces back on before they entered the room, their way was suddenly blocked by the man who had just left them. They had written him off as not worthy of consideration, but now his presence was pure menace. 

 

    With eyes that flickered gold, Spike stared them down.  "Were you disrespecting my lady?"

 

    They looked at each other in turn. "Uh, no sir."

 

    Buffy came to stand next to Spike in the broad doorway, curious as to what was taking place. When she noticed Spike's rigid anger, she asked, "Ok, what's up?"

 

    "These gits were ogling you."

 

    Buffy rolled her eyes. "Oh please. Like you didn't ogle me from the second we met?" She pushed him out of the way earning a wicked glare, and gestured for the others to follow. They did so, passing by Spike nervously. He was tempted to flash a little fang, but decided against it.  And Buffy was right, he had ogled her from the moment he had laid eyes on her.  Seemed so long ago, that night in the Bronze. He had told himself he was merely studying his enemy, but in truth he had been... ogling.

 

    Shaking his head in disgust, Spike stepped into the room. Ok, maybe he couldn't stop them from ogling her, but  he could damn well make the gits nervous.  And by the slight hint of fear in the air, he was doing a bang up job of it.

+++++++++++++++

    Giles disappeared sometime after dinner that night, but Buffy was too busy to notice. She and Dana were going over training schedules.  Most of the training would have to occur at night, when Spike could accompany them. Buffy had found a shop that stocked rubber stakes, she so did not want anyone to get too enthused and Spike pay the dusty price.  And the plastic wood grained one that Riley had used on Spike all that time ago was also not a consideration.  Rubber. Nice bendy rubber.

 

    A scuffle at the front door had Buffy going to investigate, and she stood shock still for merely a second. Then she propelled herself forward, and the new comer found herself engulfed in a crushing hug.

 

    "Dawnie!" Buffy cried, finding tears spilling, even though they had only been parted a short time.

 

    "Buffy....Air. Breathe. Now."  Her younger sister wheezed.  Buffy let up her grip, but didn't let go.

 

    "How...?. why?" Buffy tried to ask, finding her questions coming out in a string of babble.

 

    "Giles brought me over." Dawn announced casually, looking around the lobby. Buffy appeared stunned by that bit of news, eyes blinking in rapid succession as she processed it.  Then Dawn tore herself away out Buffy's grasp and threw herself into another pair of welcoming arms. "Ohmigod!! Spike!! It's really you!!! You're really truly alive! Omigod, omigod..."

 

    "Yeah, bit.  It is." Spike murmured, not making any attempt to stop the stream of tears falling down his cheeks. "I missed you."

 

    "Missed you too." Matching tears found their way from Dawn's eyes as she stayed in her friend's embrace.

 

      Buffy caught Giles eyes and they shared a hesitant smile.  With so much intense emotion flowing in the air, it was impossible to remain unaffected.   "Thank you, Giles." Buffy said quietly, knowing instinctively that Dawn's presence here was a peace offering. She knew before she left England that Giles had not wanted Dawn anywhere near LA.  But the fact that he apparently arranged to have Dawn come over to surprise Buffy showed his good intentions. Or his brown nosing ass kissing techniques. Either way, Buffy was just glad her sister was here.

 

    "Dawn!" Andrew called from the top of the circular staircase.  "Oh my god! I didn't know you were coming!" He bounded down the steps with all of his typical enthusiasm, and Dawn rousted herself from Spike's arms to hug Andrew.  Dana entered behind Andrew, suddenly shy in the presence of this new girl.  Andrew grabbed her hand after he released Dawn. "This is Dana. She's way cool."

 

    Dawn greeted the shy girl, marveling over the fact that this was the psycho slayer Andrew had been sent to retrieve not that long ago. She took the opportunity to look around a bit more, taking note of the new posh digs Spike had scored.  "So who is going to show me my room? I do get my own room, right?"

 

tbc..

 

Leave feedback puh-leese!!



next  home