**banner by Selene**

And Faith Is Our Only Anchor
by Oracleholly



Author: Oracleholly
Title: And Faith Is Our Only Anchor
Written for the Good__Evil LJ community.
Characters: Faith (good), Cordelia (evil), Dracula
Month: November
Challenge: 1

Rating: PG-15
Spoilers: Angel S4 "Salvage"
Summary: Begins with the incidents of "Salvage," then diverts from canon. With Angelus on the loose and the Beast in play, Faith comes to help the AI gang, but the Beast's master has other ideas and calls in another player to the game.
Disclaimer: Joss Whedon owns the characters of Angel the Series, and Bram Stoker owns Dracula. I'm used playing with them for fun.
Dedication: For selene2, you asked for it; you got it.

A/N1: The title comes from Bram Stoker's Dracula. The full quote is "We are all drifting reefwards now, and faith is our only anchor."
A/N2: Most dialogue excerpts - not all - are from "Salvage."

Chapter One

Faith still couldn't believe that Wesley had come to get her; that so much had changed, so much water had passed under that bridge, that he was willing to ask her for help. She also couldn't get over that he'd actually jumped three stories out the window with her, landing on some car. She had to admit her former Watcher had really changed - all rough around the edges and sexy as hell. 'Damn, girl,' she thought. 'You've been around too many women for too long.'

He'd surprised her with an unexpected detour to test her abilities. She'd missed the slayage; nothing like dusting a vamp, got her all amped. "Thought you could use a little release, feel natural?" Wes had asked. When she'd shrugged and answered, "Ah, it's like riding a biker," he cracked a smile.

Wesley pulled up to an enormous old hotel. "New offices?" Faith asked.

"Yes. Most of Angel Investigations reside here as well."

"You take cigarettes for rooms?" Faith joked. She'd noticed he didn't claim to live here with the others, and promised herself sometime soon she'd find out why.

With a shared look, they exited the car and walked to the entrance. "We going to have a meeting to plan how to retrieve Angel?" she queried.

Walking through the front doors of the Hyperion, Wesley answered, "We are…now."

Looking around at the interior of the place, Faith commented, "Suh-weet crib." She caught the curious stares of several people and one green dude.

"Everyone, this is Faith, the vampire slayer."

A girl so thin you could blow and knock her down stepped forward. "Hello, Faith, I'm--"

"Fred. Yeah, Wes kinda gave me the skinny on you."

"Oh."

"Faith? What the hell is she doing here?" All eyes turned to the source of that question. Cordelia had started making her way down the stairs when she sensed Wesley's return.

Holding in her smirk, Faith waved. "Nice to see you, too, Cor."

"She's here to help," said Wesley, answering Cordy's question.

"Oh, gee, that's great. Oh, wait a sec. Wasn't she convicted of murder and sent to a state correctional facility for like a gazillion years?" Cordelia couldn't hold back her irritation at this unexpected inconvenience.

Faith smirked, loving the fact she could still get under Queen C's skin. "Murder 2, 25 to life, for the record."

Barely restraining the venom in her tone, Cordelia lashed out at Wesley. "So, now you brought a psycho slayer out of retirement to kill Angelus?"

Dropping all humor, Faith stepped up the ice bitch and coolly responded. "Cordelia, you have every right to feel that way about me. You have no reason to trust me, but I don't have loads of time, so why don't we save it until after this is over. Cool?" For some weird reason, Cordy was setting off her Slayer senses, but Faith shrugged it off as simply being irritated with the girl. Clapping her hands, she switched into commander mode. "OK, let's get down to it. We're gonna keep this hunting party tight." Turning to the fine, ebony hunk standing to Cordy's right, she said, "Gunn, right?"

"Yeah."

"Love the name. I hear you're a good fighter."

Grinning, Gunn answered, "I hold my own."

Flirting just a little, "That's a shame. You're with me, Wes, and the kid."

"The kid has a name," piped up the sullen kid.

Turning to the "kid," Faith mused, 'Damn, broods just like his father.' "Connor." Then she turned back to Gunn. "Arm yourself how you like, but I want you to carry the tranq gun. If I can't take him down, I want you to be ready to take the shot, yeah?" Studying everyone in the room, she emphasized her will, "In case anyone has any other ideas, this is a salvage mission, not search and destroy, OK?"

Anger colored Connor's face and his body went taut with tension. "No. Not OK. You think you can just breeze in here, telling everyone what to do? You're not a part of this. If you think I'm not gonna kill Angelus if he comes at me, then --"

Getting right in his face, Faith asserted her alpha female. "Listen up, junior. When I need a blood hound, I'll call you. If Angelus needs putting down, I'll be the one to do it, not you. So... is there anything else you're not OK with? Good."

Turning on her heel, she coolly walked away from the twerp. Man, she was so close to punching the kid. 'Bad Faith. That's what the old Faith would do.' Speaking to no one in particular, she commanded, "Show me the weapons."

********

'Slayer bitch! I so do not need this right now. Everything was falling into place. Bitch was supposed to be dead already. Can't count on the First to get the job done. Who can I get to help me dispose of this nasty Slayer problem?'

Cordelia paced around her room. She'd believed she'd planned for every contingency, but Faith's arrival had not been expected. And to be abetted by Wesley of all people with her escape. Cordy would have never imagined that Wesley would do something so out of character and so unpredictable.

Faith was a loose canon who could blow her plans out of the water at any time. Perhaps either Angelus or the Beast would rid her of this problem without her having to soil her hands, but when it came to Angelus, it paid not to bet on him. So she needed another player in the mix … an extra assurance that Faith wouldn't be a problem.

Suddenly, she had an idea. Lying down on the bed, Cordy breathed a few deep breaths before entering a trance. Reaching out with her powers, she visualized all the strings connecting every living and unliving thing on Earth. 'There!' Focusing on the energy pulsing through a particular reddish-orange string, Cordelia mentally plucked the string getting its attention.

The voice of the Beast's master filled the room, "I've got an opportunity for you." Smiling in her trance, Cordelia purred, "How'd you like a Slayer for a bride?"

********

Chapter Two

A/N: Most dialogue excerpts - not all - are from "Salvage."

******
(Some random street in Los Angeles)

Faith was on high alert, and in that sick, familiar way, she relished it. In the past, she would have taken that feeling and delved into the dark side; now, after much soul-searching, she embraced the feeling without letting it control her. Not that she'd brag about it or anything, but she'd started reading psychology books while in the slammer, trying to recognize the things that made her tick, and more importantly what had made her go bad in the first place.

When sitting in the stir, one has lots of time to drag up the uglies of one's past. Faith hadn't started off bad; in fact, she guessed she'd been a lot like Buffy as a little girl, except that her broken home happened much earlier. Borderline poverty had also been a way of life for her - helping her mom scrounge for something to eat, shoplifting without getting caught, swiping some chump's wallet as he ogled her mom's boobs. Then her mom died, and she was on her own.

Then one day, her salvation arrived. A beautiful, subdued woman with a British accent approached her in the schoolyard after the last bell. Faith could still picture that afternoon - an overcast sky with hints of promising rain and the bite of a Nor'easter wind. She'd been "Chosen;" she had a purpose.

Faith had gladly dropped out of school and followed her Watcher. From then on, life was filled with training. Giles and Wesley would never have guessed how readily she took to the strict regimen. She'd not always been so blasé about following orders. But then her safety net was ripped away from her: Kakistos had murdered her Watcher while she had watched, frozen in fear.

Then came Sunnydale. Meeting Buffy and seeing how good she had it - friends, an awesome mom, a cool Watcher - the seeds of envy germinated in her soul. When Gwendolyn Post arrived, Faith had thought she'd been given another chance to bond with aWatcher of her own. Gwen had reminded Faith a little of her first Watcher. One of the last pieces of Faith's heart had been shredded when Gwen betrayed her and proved to be an outright bitch. She'd grown cold, distant, and found the only pleasure in life came from dancing hard, slaying hard, and fucking hard. She'd heard the call of the demon side of the Slayer and had drowned in it.

Murdering the Mayor's assistant had shocked, frightened, and, strangely, delighted her, all at the same time. What was left of her heart and soul had cried out, telling her it was wrong, but she'd ignored those pleas. The Mayor's interest in her appealed to the lost, abandoned daughter in her whose daddy never loved her. Faith had wanted to please him and bask in his devotion. His death still hurt, even though, from what she'd learned, he'd gotten what he'd had coming to him.

So now, here she was again, wearing a white hat and trying to do the good thing. It felt right, but also hard. Like a recovering addict, Faith knew she was going to have to take it one day at a time if she was going to walk that long road to redemption.

Her attention snapped back to the present when Connor spoke to her. "So, vampire slayers. I was told about them. How come you're always girls?"

"I dunno. Better at it, I guess." 'Let him swallow that.'

"You haven't seen what I can do," Connor snarked.

"Let's not."

A chain link fence brought the group to a stop.

Connor's face took on a strange look for a moment. "He was here. Just." He went through the fence; Faith, Gunn and Wesley followed.

"Eyes and ears peeled. Watch the periph. Hey, nobody make a move until I -" Faith was cut off, mid-command, when a vampire jumped in front of Connor, who immediately swung his sword, cutting off its head and dusting it.

Pushing Connor against a dumpster, Faith snapped, "You deficient? What did I just say?"

"He was attacking!" Connor protested.

"You thought it was Angelus." Faith released the brat. "You can't listen, you're no good to me." Turning to Gunn and Wesley, she added, "Get him out of here. Someone take him back to the hotel."

"What?" The shock was plainly evident on Connor's face.

Gunn replied, "Yeah, easier said. The kid's got a history of not doing what he's told."

Glaring at Connor, Faith nodded and said, "He'll do what I tell him."

"Yeah, sure I will," Connor sassed, walking away.

'The little shit is asking for it now.' Faith halted the brat, pushing him against the dumpster once more. 'Squirm some more! You ain't going nowhere, pal.'

"I get it. You're a super being," huffed Connor after unsuccessfully trying to escape Faith's firm hold. Then, sensing her relax, he pushed her away.

Faith began to fight the punk, as she'd had enough of his lip. She knew she needed to firmly establish her dominance in order to keep him in check. Silently thanking Gunn and Wes for staying out of it, she quickly gained the advantage and pointed her crossbow at the shrimp's neck. "Are you a murderer? 'Cause I am. If it comes down to you or Angelus, you haven't shown me a thing to make me want to take your side."

Seeing the truth evident in her eyes, Connor raised his hands and backed away. Picking up his sword from where it'd fallen, he started walking away.

Gunn looked at Wes. "I like her." Then he followed Connor.

With determination, Faith glanced at Wes and said, "Come on."

******
(Meanwhile, back at the Hyperion)

A blanket of fog slipped through the crack in the window on the upper floor of the Hyperion. The room it entered was lush and lit by many candles. On the bed, perched a beautiful brunette, wearing a black, lacy dress. She was rubbing her belly. The fog pulled itself into one spot and seemed to wait for a sign.

"Will you form already?" huffed the brunette. "I don't have all night, you know."

The fog strengthened, and then, with plenty of overdone dramatic flare, a figure formed in its midst. The fog dissipated, revealing a dark-haired, pale-skinned male wearing a cape and a suit reminiscent of the baroque period. "Good evening, my lady."

"About time you got here, Count Vlad," snapped Cordelia.

"My lady knows that I had to travel a great distance to be here," Dracula used his sexiest intonations in hopes of seducing this succulent female.

Rolling her eyes, Cordy sighed. "Please, you came from Palos Verdes, and that voice doesn't work on me, mister. Let's get on with this. Time's a wasting."

Clearing his throat, Dracula nodded and waved his hand toward a chair. Cordy slightly nodded her consent for him to have a seat. "So, you mentioned a Slayer?"

"Yes, Faith," she said with bitterness. "I would be most pleased if you would … you know … take her away. I don't need her to be here."

"Slayers are difficult to control and to turn. What makes you think I'm interested in acquiring this Faith?" ventured Drac.

Standing up quickly and counting off the reasons with her fingers, Cordy answered, "Because one - I pay attention to the grapevine, and it's well known that you've been wanting to collect a Slayer for your harem. Two - I know you've already attempted to seduce Buffy Summers, and failed. Three - because after the big event takes place, those who helped me will be rewarded. And four -" revealing a stake in her right hand, "if you don't agree, then the great Dracula will dust right here. And I know all of your gypsy tricks … I know how to end you once and for all."

Acting as if his existence hadn't just been threatened, Dracula calmly said, "Tell me more about this Faith."

With a wicked grin, Cordy proceeded to describe the Rogue Slayer.

*********

Chapter Three

A/N: Again dialogue manipulation from "Salvage."

Moments after Faith jumped from the roof of a dark, abandoned warehouse and landed inside, Dracula surreptitiously entered and perched on an upper crossway to take in the action. He'd fondly recalled how graceful Buffy Summers' movements had been when she battled, and he wondered if this one would move in the same way. With loathing, he sensed the presence of Angelus and another demon, which could only be the lady's Beast. The Aurelian was concealing his presence from the Slayer for the moment. 'A leopard certainly can not change its spots.' Angelus had never played the game on an even playing field. Angelus or Angel, whichever the incarnation, both sullied his species. Unlike William the Bloody, neither was a credit to the more cultured of the kindred. Despite detesting the entire Aurelian line, Dracula appreciated the straightforwardness of William the Bloody.

"Hey, Faith. Nice to see you again. Mmm. You're looking choice as ever. Oh, that's right. We've never really met, have we?" Angelus taunted from the shadows. Dracula sneered at the childishness of it all.

"So, what are you waiting for? Come out and gimme a kiss."

Dracula grinned at the innuendo and quick wit of this one. Slayers, he'd found, generally had no sense of humor. But Buffy and this Faith had it in spades, as they say. He admired Faith's feline grace as she walked through the warehouse, around some boxes. Hers was a body made for pleasure, with full, round breasts, hips to grab, taut stomach, and legs Dracula desired to have wrapped around him. While the blonde Slayer had been lean and bony, this Slayer was round and luscious.

"No, no, no. You come to me. That's it. Getting warmer. Warmer…warmer. You're smoking hot," Angelus taunted some more.

Registering the presence of a vamp, Faith turned and saw Angelus standing there, looking cocky. Dracula saw the set up; he could warn her, but where was the fun in that?

"But then again, you probably knew that. Honey, I brought a guest home." The strong presence of "demon" overwhelmed Faith. Even before turning around and seeing the Beast standing behind her, she could feel its enormous power. Hearing Angelus chuckling, she held in an involuntary shudder. "Let's eat."

Faith needed to assess the situation - a maniacally insane, evil master vampire in front, and a demonic "beast" that seemed to be carved from rock behind her. Turning so that she had Angelus to her left and the Beast to her right, Faith watched for any sudden movements initiated between the two. She was going to have to play it smart, play it cool, and let her natural inclination to just attack without a plan fade away.

Dracula watched Faith's movements with great interest. From what the "lady" had told him, the Rogue Slayer usually barreled into a situation head on without an inkling of a plan. But what he was seeing now belied that description. In his opinion, the Beast looked stupid and slow. 'This is the creature that blacked out the sun? The lady must have given him simple instructions. Even I pick better Renfields.'

"What is this, Angelus?" queried the Beast.

"This is a slayer. Say 'hi' to the nice Beast, Faith."

"You dare to bring a slayer here?" the Beast asked. 'Perhaps it does have some brain matter under all that rock,' thought Dracula.

"Hey, I'm doing you a favor, Stonehenge," Angelus said, walking up to Faith. "She's here to seriously mess up you and your boss's plans. So, question is, what do you do, hot shot? Hmm? What do you do?"

Faith groaned at the reference. "Speed? Really Angelus, that's just wrong." Quickly, she shot her crossbow at the Beast; unfortunately, the thick, stone-like skin deflected her shot. Rushing in as a follow up, Faith punched him and then deftly ducked his grab for her neck.

"Smile, Faith. I thought you'd enjoy a threesome," Angelus said as he closed in on Faith's flank.

She rapidly punched both Angelus and the Beast to get out from between them and quipped, "Sure."

When she struck Angelus, she saw the glint of a blade, similar in consistency to the Beast's rough hide. 'Weird,' she thought.

Holding his stomach, Angelus sadistically chuckled. "Oh."

Hands raised, Faith exclaimed, "Let's get it on!" Surmising that Angelus wanted to watch her take on the Beast first, thinking she'd get tired and beaten, Faith decided to accommodate only part of his wishes. How that crossbow was deflected and Angelus's knife gave her an idea.

Dracula saw the knowing grin spread across the Rogue Slayer's face. She'd pieced some puzzle together. He was intrigued at what idea caused her face to glow in the moonlight like that. It was enchanting.

Faith allowed some of the Beast's punches to connect. He was slower than her, and it really pissed her off that she had to act weaker than she was. But, as long as Angelus thought it was real, she could swallow her anger and fight with deception.

"Ooh-ee! Watch yourself, big guy, the girl's on fire," Angelus joyfully commented.

Rolling her eyes at the commentary, Faith missed the next punch hurled her way, and found herself flying ten feet backward, crashing into a crate.

"That's gonna sting in the morning," Angelus said with glee.

Standing up slowly and wiping the blood off her lip, Faith allowed the Beast to kick her to the ground.

"Come on, Faithy. You're not even trying."

'Good. Dumb ass is falling for it. Soon,' Faith thought. 'Is the Beast really this dense? Rocks for brains couldn't tell I'd let him pick me up just now?' Allowing the Beast to slam her to the ground, she let out a groan.

"Better get up. Oh! You know, somebody should break this up," Angelus quipped. 'Great, here comes Mr. Over-Confident,' Faith smirked to herself. For effect, she whimpered.

Faith suppressed a chuckle when the Beast said, "This is all you are? I had heard the slayer possessed great strength, but there's no real power here. My master's power is beyond all limits, beyond your petty imagining. You are weak. You're nothing. You could not even defeat me."

Dracula almost laughed out loud. 'Idiots! They are blind as well as stupid. Any fool could see that the Slayer had played mongoose to their cobra.'

Faith mocked staggered toward Angelus, just as he stepped next to the Beast. Using her skills as a pickpocket, she deftly lifted the knife from the unsuspecting vamp. She wobbled, moving to their rear, acting as if she were about to fall again.

"Ain't that the truth," Angelus agreed; ignoring the Slayer stumbling behind him, he felt for the knife in his inside jacket pocket. Not finding it, he frowned. 'Did I drop it?'

Just then, Faith plunged the knife into the Beast's back. Screaming in agony, the Beast tried again and again to pull it out, but it was beyond his reach. The wound glowed yellow and grew in its intensity, finally consuming the Beast. As the Beast disintegrated into pebbles, the sun emerged.

Angelus turned incredulously to a now standing, seemingly uninjured Faith. "You bitch! You ruined my fun."

"Get used to it," she snarked in reply.

************

A/N: Dialogue excerpts from "Salvage." Once again, a happy writer thank you to flexsis.

Chapter Four

Wesley had been successfully battling two vamps when the blackness that had blanketed the sun faded and day once again emerged in Los Angeles. Both vampires suddenly burst into flames and dusted before his eyes. For the first time in a long while, Wesley felt a touch of happiness, but then he remembered his charge. 'Faith.'

Wesley turned and ran flat out to the warehouse.

******
(At the Hyperion)

With the emergence of the blue sky and bright sun, Fred and Lorne stepped into the garden, and were enjoying the sun's warmth on their skin when Connor and Gunn returned.

"Ooh-oo. Check it out. We got sun," said Gunn stating the obvious.

Lorne chimed, "Well, ding dong, the Beast is dead."

"I've never seen anything so beautiful in all my life," pronounced Fred. Turning to Gunn, she asked, "Where are the others?"

Taking his eyes off the sun, Lorne looked at Gunn. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's hear the war stories. How'd you bring that monster down?"

"Well, it wasn't us. Not Connor and me, anyway. We ---" admitted Gunn.

Pacing, Connor interrupted, "She must've fought it. Faith. The Beast must've attacked her, and she must -- It's gotta be. Hey, where's Cordy? Does she know?"

Fred answered, "She's up in her room." Connor ran inside the hotel and up the stairs.

Lorne asked, "Hey, what about Angelus?"

"Well, if that girl can take out the Beast, my money says she'll have Angelus hog-tied and back here by dinner time," declared Gunn, his admiration for Faith clearly evident.

Fred and Lorne nodded. "Hey, I'm going to see if Cordy and Connor will join us for some celebratory Chinese. Lorne, you order." With that, Fred walked into the hotel and started up the stairs.

*****
(In Cordelia's room)

Connor barged into Cordy's room. Even though she was staring out the window grimacing at the returned sun, Cordelia could feel Connor's giddiness, and it irked her.

"Hey! Isn't it incredible?" Connor blurted.

With a reserved tone, she replied, "It's … wonderful."

"She did it. Faith. She's … amazing." Cordelia saw the evidence of a crush blossoming in Connor's mind, and she couldn't have that. That wouldn't do at all. Time to quash that.

"Connor -" she began.

Connor kept blabbering, "I mean, I had no idea what a slayer could do."

"A weakness for slayers? You're definitely his son." Cordelia sighed and walked up to the boy. "Connor, we need - There's something you need to, um -" Sitting on the bed, Connor followed suit. "I don't know how - Well, I know how, but, uh ..." 'Good, I've taken his attention away from that slut.'

Concern gripped Connor's soul. "What? What is it?"

Barely hiding her wicked glee, Cordelia said, "We're having a baby."

Connor was shocked, even more so when Cordelia lifted her shirt, revealing her swollen belly.

"Touch it," she commanded, guiding his hand to her belly.

"This - it's impossible. I - How could -?"

Delighting in his confusion, she continued, "All I know is there's a life growing inside of me, and it's ours." 'Of course, I know what's going on. It's all part of my plan. Have to close the deal now.' Lightly touching the boy's face, she whispered, "We're connected now."

As Cordelia was going in for a kiss, the door to her room flew open. Her eyes sparked with anger as Connor hastily broke out of her clutches. 'So close.' Quickly, she covered her stomach.

Fred stood in the doorway, completely shocked. She had wondered why Angel had been distant towards Cordy even before they unsouled him and know she thought she understood. Seeing Cordy almost kiss Connor - the child that a year ago Fred knew that Cordy considered to be her adopted son - was almost more than she could digest. Something was seriously wrong here.

Then, Fred took in the still raised shirt and saw to her horror the pregnant belly. 'How did we all miss that? She wasn't like that even a few hours ago, or was she?' Fred tried recalling the scene in the lobby earlier with Faith's arrival, and then realized that Cordy had taken to wearing more layered clothing lately. But still, the enormity of her stomach indicated an advanced pregnancy that just wasn't possible.

Schooling her features and pretending she hadn't noticed, Fred turned to Connor and smiled. "We're ordering Chinese. Come join us downstairs. I think Lorne might make a banner for Faith and Wesley. You too, Cordy. Come downstairs; you've been holed up here for a while."

Cordelia couldn't tell if Fred had seen anything significant, aside from the almost-kiss. As far as the little Texan knew, that's all it was … an almost-kiss. "I'm feeling a little tired right now. I'm going to take a nap. I'll come down later, promise." Faking a smile, Cordelia bit the inside of her mouth. "Connor, could you sit with me for a while?"

Connor looked torn. Fred effectively nipped that in the bud, saying, "We'll need his help hanging the banner. Besides, if Faith and Wes bring back Angelus, they'll want Connor to help."

With a pleading smile, Connor said, "Yeah, have to make sure the cage is ready. Is that okay, Cordy?"

'No, that is not okay, you twerp. Damn. Have to play along.'
"Sure. Go, have fun."

Fred took Connor's hand and pulled him into the hall. "Talk to you later Cordy," she called back into the room. 'I won't say anything now. Have to wait 'til Wes and Faith get back. Wonder if this is related to what's been going on?'

******
(Meanwhile, back at the warehouse)

Dracula silently made his way to the floor of the warehouse, all the while masking his presence. It had been easier when the Beast had distracted both Angelus and the Slayer, but now, he had to be careful before he revealed himself. He saw the Slayer, with the crumbles of the Beast scattered around her, triumphantly looking at Angelus. She was a sight to behold.

"How did you figure it out, Faithy? I thought that it was only Angel's retarded fantasy that killing the Beast would bring back the sun."

"I didn't, just a bonus. I just wanted to see what that little knife of yours would do," Faith honestly answered.

"Oh, well, what're you gonna do? Take the bad with the good, I always say. Anyway, I just wanted Beastie boy here to soften you up. I like my meat nice and tender," Angelus taunted.

Reaching behind her, Faith felt the hook of a dangling chain and grabbed it. Swinging the heavy hook toward Angelus, he swerved.

"Ooh, swing and a miss, slugger. Sorry, but -"

Not following its path, Angelus heard the hook and chain break through a dirty window, which allowed sunlight into the room. Faith stood in the sunlight, while Angelus ducked for cover. Dracula also melded into the shadows.

"God!" Angelus chuckled. "OK. Well, I gotta give you props. Nice move, really. I guess we'll just have to take a rain check on that whole eviscerating you thing. Just you and me, now, Faithy." He winked and started to walk away. "Catch you later."

"Not so fast, Angelus." Wesley stepped out from some crates with a crossbow aimed squarely at Angelus's heart.

"Oh, this is too rich. Wesley, so good of you to join us. I take it my welcoming committee provided you with some entertainment." Dracula saw that, despite the tone of his voice, Angelus had not expected the presence of this new player.

"Congratulations, Faith. Well done. Are you all right?" Wesley asked without taking his eyes off the vamp in front of him.

"I'm five by five. You?"

"The same. Faith, would you do the honors?"

"Sure." She walked over to Wes and took possession of his crossbow, never allowing it to lose its aim.

"Isn't that sweet. Faith and Wesley back together again. Tell me the truth, Wes, when you were letting Lilah tie you up, did you fantasize that it was Faith? I mean, she did sort of introduce you to that world. You know, deep down, Angel was both impressed and a little turned on by your work, Faithy. Wanna give me a go? I can pretend to be Angel - your redeemer. Whaddya say?"

Faith snorted, "Please, I've felt what you're packing, and believe me, you're not all that."

Meanwhile, Wesley had begun quietly chanting. A marble hovered unnoticed in the air. Earlier, when he'd gone to get Faith out of prison, he had called Willow in Sunnydale. Writing down the spells Willow suggested to the letter, Wes thanked her and asked her to be ready to come to LA if his attempt failed. The first spell would hopefully shatter the "unbreakable" vessel containing Angel's soul. The second was the curse.

He felt something or someone blocking the vessel. A great evil pressed back against his mind. But then it released, and Wesley just knew the vessel had been broken. He shifted into the other spell, hoping Faith would keep distracting Angelus. They'd talked about doing this, if the opportunity presented itself. Now, it just had to be accomplished.

Dracula heard the whispered words this Wesley invoked. 'A powerful spell indeed. So, this one knew Faith in the past, and has magical abilities. The lady failed to give me this information.' The next spell took him by surprise. It was gypsy in origin - a curse, a horrible curse. He felt the gathering magics swirl in the ethos and it shook him to the core. 'No, this Wesley should not be angered, if at all possible.'

Angelus felt the all-too familiar pressure of the gypsy curse bearing down on him. "NO!!!!!!!"

Faith and Wesley saw a flash of light enter Angelus's eyes, followed quickly by deep pain. The vampire fell to the floor crying.

"Angel?" Faith hesitantly asked.

Emerging from the shadows, Dracula clapped. "Brava, my beautiful Slayer. My congratulations to you on destroying not only the Beast but also reducing the great Angelus to tears."

"Who the hell are you?"

"I am Dracula."

Faith looked at Wes, who shrugged, and then laughed so hard her stomach hurt. "Yeah right. Look, you Halloween reject, I'm in no mood for this." Aiming the crossbow at the vamp, "Now, if you have a permanent death wish, keep talking… otherwise, get out."

"Faith …" Wesley started to say.

"I assumed that the other Slayer had told you of out previous dealings. I assure you, I am Dracula. But tell me, how could I be rejected from All Hallows' Eve? Unless you mean rejected in terms that my kind and other demons stay home on that night."

"Huh? Well, B and I haven't chatted in some time. Must have had something to do with being locked up and me sleeping with her boyfriend. Besides, Drac ain't real. You're just some vamp who gets his kicks knocking off the name."

"Faith … I do believe this is the real Dracula," Wesley uttered.

"Really? Damn. Does this mean Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real too? 'Cause hey, I've gotta start writing my Christmas list."

"You will be mine, my dear Faith," Dracula interrupted.

"Don't think so, pal. Take your cape and fly on out of here. Oh, that's right, you've got a nasty sun allergy."

"Dracula!" Angel focused on his old enemy. "Stay away from her."

"Oh, how delightful. I don't believe I've ever met this side of you … Angel, correct?"

"Who summoned you here?" Angel surprised everyone by rushing the Count and pinning him against a wall. "Tell me now!"

Dracula shifted into his mist form, attempting to escape Angel's hold, but strangely he could not move. "I know your tricks, remember? You're not getting away from me that easily."

Behind him, Angel heard Faith mumble to Wes, "So, the book was true? He can go misty?" "Apparently so," answered Wes.

"I'm not usually one to reveal my sources, unless it benefits me."

Faith and Wesley joined Angel. "How about I not stake your ass? I think that's a benefit, don't you, Wes?" Faith said.

"I think so, Faith, and a most generous one at that," Wes replied, dryly.

"Hey, how come B didn't stake you herself?"

"Miss Summers did in fact stake me, several times. I can not die."

"He's lying, Faith," stated Angel. "There is a way. I happen to know how to keep you on the permanently dusted list."

Shifting uncomfortably, Drac thought, 'This is not going according to my plan. What is with this generation of Slayers? First Miss Summers, and now this Faith. Perhaps I should cut my losses.' "If you agree to let me leave Los Angeles, I will vow never to bother any of you again," he proffered.

Angel, Faith and Wesley shared a look, and Faith nodded. Still keeping his hold on the well-known finker, Angel demanded, "Tell us all and we'll let you go."

"I was summoned by a beautiful lady at your residence. She was the Beast's master. Very evil that one… a great power."

Angered by the thought that the Beastmaster had been duping them right under noses, Wesley almost growled, surprising the others. "Did you happen to get a name for this (cough) lady?"

"She didn't not tell me, but I did hear someone call her Cordy."

"WHAT!!!!" yelled Angel, Wesley and Faith.

**************

A/N: Some dialogue has been taken both straight and manipulated from episodes "Release" and "Orpheus." Again, thanks go out to flexsis for the beta and catching my boo-boos.

Chapter Five

(During Wesley's spell at the Hyperion)

It had come out of nowhere; a stone flew through the window, and had she not seen it in time, the stone would have shattered the Muo-Ping, releasing Angel's soul. Cordelia held up her hand, halting its progress. "Okay, who's doing this? The Senior Partners? No one else would dare. Neither Wesley nor Fred have the power to do this." The stone hovered that close to its target, the power behind it making it vibrate.

The magic source was powerful, and it was taking too much of her concentration to stop it. She needed to find out who was sending it, while at the same time deflecting the stone. A loud knock suddenly banged on her door. "Cordy! Why is the door locked? Come on downstairs, girl," hollered Gunn.

"Damn!" Gunn's knock broke her concentration, and the stone flew against the glass jar, shattering it. Cordelia watched in anger as Angel's soul streamed out of the remains of the jar and entered the ether. "Someone will pay with their life!"

"What was that, Cordy?" asked Gunn from the other side of the door.

"Nothing, Gunn. I'll come down later."

"Ok." Gunn walked away, confused by Cordy's behavior. They'd not seen her since last night.

***********
(Back at the Warehouse)

Dusk had just begun to fall when a chorus of raised voices broke the silence.

"WHAT!!!!!" yelled Angel, Wesley and Faith.

Angel tightened his grip on the elder vampire, his jaw tight. "You're lying!!!"

"I would freely offer a taste of my blood to prove my veracity," offered Dracula. Angelus was deadly, but foolish; Angel was simply dangerous and a loose canon. Drac now wished he'd never left his brides in the first place. This trip was proving to be far less profitable that he had hoped.

Without a word, Angel bit Dracula's hand. Images flooded into his mind. Focusing on what he needed to see, Angel watched the scene unfold. Staggering away from Dracula, thereby effectively releasing him, Angel gasped for unneeded air.

"Angel! Wes, see to him. I've got the caped-wonder here," Faith ordered. "You're not going anywhere, pal. Wes, is he ok?"

Shrugging off Wesley's attentions, Angel answered, "I'm fine." He began a major brood. To Dracula, he commanded, "Go home, Dracula, leave my city. If you ever give either Slayer any more trouble, I'll come for you. I know where you live."

"You do not, but I'll agree to the rest," Dracula smugly replied.

Angel stalked up to Drac and leaned in close. Whispering something in his ear, Angel smirked when the Count shuddered in surprise. In a dramatic poof, Dracula vanished.

"Wesley, can we do this at your place?" Angel asked.

"That would be for the best.

Angel, Faith and Wesley exited the warehouse and emerged into the now re-darkened streets of LA.

***********
(Later at Wesley's apartment)

Upon entering his apartment, Wesley indicated a chair to Faith. "Sit here." Not hearing Angel clomp in behind him, Wesley turned. "Yes?"

"Need an invite, Wes," Angel grumbled.

"Never revoked." Wes walked to his kitchen, missing the look of shock on Angel's face. Recovering, Angel entered.

Wesley reentered the den with a cold-pack. Gently brushing Faith's hair away from a bruised jaw, he handed it to her. "Hold this. I'll get bandages."

Faith took the pack, but replied, "No trauma. I'm good."

"You battled the Beast."

"Correction: I toyed with the Beast. I could use a shower."

Gesturing to the bathroom door, Wes softly said, "Of course. Faith, are you sure you're OK?"

Licking some blood off her lips, Faith smiled. "A little sticky." She left for the bathroom and the promise of a hot shower.

During this time, Angel had remained quiet. Back at the warehouse, he hadn't had the luxury of wallowing in his re-ensoulment. But now, here, in Wesley's apartment, watching the interplay between the former Watcher and his former charge, Angel felt the guilt of Angelus's recent actions coming on strong.

After Faith was out of earshot, Angel spoke up. "Wesley, I have to tell you something."

"Don't."

"No, this you have to hear. I … I mean Angelus … didn't kill Lilah. I found her already dead, but Angelus just had to have a taste," he quickly stated.

With a wild look in his eyes, Wesley faced Angel. "You didn't kill her?" Rubbing his left hand through his hair, he began to pace. "Then I didn't have to… oh, God. Oh, Lilah, I'm sorry."

"What?"

"We thought … no, I thought that Angelus as some sort of supreme joke turned her, so I cut off her head." Wes moaned.

"I'm sorry, but I didn't kill her. The only other person in the hotel was …" He drifted off. "I should have put it together."

"What?" asked Wesley.

Sourly, Angel said, "The only other person in the hotel at that time was Cordelia."

"So then…"

"Yeah."

"Cordelia killed Lilah, summoned Dracula, and was apparently the Beast's master. I hate to venture what else she's schemed, and wonder what her goals are," Wesley said matter-of-factly.

"Yeah," agreed Angel. "And she had the means and opportunity to steal the Muo-Ping containing my soul. How did you re-ensoul me, by the way? I thought the Muo-Ping was supposed to be impervious to magic."

"It is. But I had a helpful suggestion put in my ear."

"Willow?"

"Willow. It seems Ms. Rosenberg's quite the genius when it comes to these sorts of things. She suggested breaking the glass of the jar, that what was inside was holy, not the jar itself."

"So, how did you break the jar?" Angel asked.

"Willow suggested using Delothrian's Arrow to send an object to the jar. Before I picked up Faith, I whipped up the spell that would infuse a marble with its power, and picked up an Orb of Thessulah. Then I pocketed the marble for just the right opportunity. Faith and I talked about it on the ride back. Now, I feel very fortunate we neither had the time nor the opportunity to share my plan with the others."

"Yeah, so back at the warehouse…"

"I silently chanted 'Open the window. Fill this stone. Inside, outside. Two made one.' And sent the marble on its way."

"Sounds simple."

"It was anything but. During the spell, I felt an enormous power restrain the marble, keeping it from completing its task. But then, it suddenly vanished, and I felt the marble meet the jar. As soon as I felt that, I started the re-ensouling spell."

"Thank you, by the way."

"Of course."

"Awww… you two should just get a room."

Both Wesley and Angel spun around to see a still damp, but toweled Faith standing in the doorway, grinning.

********
(At the Hyperion)

Cordelia felt the rise of panic and irritation churn her stomach. She needed to know what happened with Angelus. Was he still her Angelus? Had the soul been lost forever in the ether? Or had someone managed to re-ensoul him? She paused on a fleeting idea. 'That might work.'

*********
(At Wesley's)

Angel was about to stammer a protest, when he suddenly shut his eyes and turned away from Faith and Wesley. He reached for the pad and pen he'd seen on the side table just moments before. Keeping his eyes tightly closed, he scribbled, "The Beast's master's talking in my head. Can't look at you. It might be able to see what I see."

Wesley retrieved the pad and, after reading its contents, quietly showed Faith.

"Hello, Angelus. It's time we had that talk," greeted the master's voice. Angel thought it sounded manly, but deep down he knew it was Cordy.

"Where are you?" he asked.

"I'm where it's warm and soft." Figuring out that puzzle, Angel realized, 'She's in bed; she's fishing.'

"Hide and seek, huh? OK, I'll play," he voiced, playing dumb.

"Playtime's over. You've been a bad boy. My favorite pet is dead. Did you kill him?"

"Was going to … thought that might get your attention. But alas, no, I didn't kill you precious pet. The Slayer did."

"Ah, but before that you were going to attempt it. Initiative. I like that, but you needn't have bothered. I've had my eyes on you for some time."

"You like to watch, huh?" asked Angel, but sounding like Angelus.

"One of the many things we have in common," teased the Beast Master.

"Oh, I don't know about that. I'm more of a hands-on kind of a guy. OK, come on. You got a pair, or the wind you're blowing up my tailpipe is all you can muster? Hey, here's a kooky idea. Now that the Slayer has killed your little pet rock, how 'bout a little face-to-face, huh? Assuming that you've got one." If the rest of the AI gang knew how comfortable it was for him to slip into Angelus's cadence, they'd never want to be around him.

****** At the Hyperion ****

"Don't worry," a white-eyed Cordelia said. "We'll meet when you're ready." So far she hadn't felt anything that would indicate Angelus had returned to his soulful self.

She heard 'Angelus' saying, "Come on. Why the stalling? You whipped up a rain of fire, blotted out the sun, earthquakes ... all to maneuver the Brady Bunch into releasing Angel's inner me. Don't you wanna kick the tires?"

Cordy caressed the glowing orange crystal in the palm of her right hand. "So beautifully vain, but the whirlwind doesn't always revolve around you. Destruction sometimes is its own reward."

****At Wesley's****

"Hey, man, you're preaching to the guy who ate the choir. Wait, it was you, wasn't it? You pulled just the wrong strings to make them think it was their idea. Got 'em to yank that white, fluffy soul, and stuff it in a jar, and then gone, baby, gone." Angel wanted her to deny it and say it was someone else.

Instead of denial, the voice of the Beast Master confessed. "Couldn't risk them putting it back in you. I have wonderful plans for you, my sweet boy."

Feeling the couch at the back of his knees, Angel sagged into it. "Um, yeah, but the thing is, as far as plans go, I make my own. So, you know, thanks for stopping by my head."

"You would dare to defy me?"

'Oh, yeah, that's Cordy all right.' "Defy who? A big, scary voice? Whoa! Hey, I got one of those, too. You wanna hear it? (cups his hands over his mouth) You can kiss my vampire ass! (talking normal again) That do anything for ya?"

****At the Hyperion*****

Cordelia's eyes returned to normal and she hid the crystal. "Bastard. Who in the hell does he think he is? Well, at least I know the soulless one's still in charge."

The door opened, revealing Connor and Fred, with Fred holding a blanket.

Since she'd revealed her pregnancy to Connor, Cordelia had not been able to find a moment alone with the boy. If she didn't know any better, she might've suspected that the gang was trying to keep them separated.

Fred piped up, "Hey, we brought you another blanket. Connor told me you get sort of cold up here. You should really come downstairs with us."

"No, thanks. I'm really, really tired. I think that the stress of the past several days has taken its toll. So, tell me, have you heard from Wesley or Faith?"

Fred shrugged, "Just a brief phone call, saying that they were going to stop by his place and get bandaged up. It's closer."

Wes had actually called Fred during the 'Master's' conversation with 'Angelus.' Wes instructed her not to tell Cordelia anything important, that he would explain all later. Fred told him that something strange was happening with Cordy, and proceeded to fill in him on what she'd seen earlier. Both agreed that Connor also needed to be kept out of the loop. He was too close to Cordy.

**********
(At Wesley's)

Faith had watched Wesley take his cordless and step out into the hall, so she kept her eye on Angel. No telling how having Cordy's voice in his head would affect him. She felt sort of sorry for him when she saw him sit down on the couch. Despite the tough attitude in his voice, Angel looked forlorn.

She took that opportunity to look around Wesley's digs. Her eyes focused on the ebony and rosewood chessboard on the table in the corner. 'That board must have set him back a Benjamin or three.' Instead of the traditional black and white pieces, Faith saw that the white had been replaced with the rosewood ones.

Faith walked over to the board and fingered the ebony queen and the rosewood bishops. The carvings were amazing. The pieces were large with a hefty weight. She'd picked up chess in prison. 'Maybe Wes and I could throw down some time when all this is over.'

Faith heard the door start to open. Just as Angel was reopening his eyes, Wes walked back into the apartment.

"Suh-weet board. You got game, boss?"

Distracted, Wesley half answered her, "Hmmm, yes."

"Sooo - what's the sitch, guys? We going over there and beating that bitch down or what?"

"Not yet, Faith," Angel replied. "It's hard to say this, but if that voice really was Cordy, then she just confessed to the whole thing. But, something's not right about it. I'm going to need to talk to someone."

"If what Fred just told me is true, the problem may be larger than just the Beast," Wesley stated.

"What do you mean, larger? Another beastie-type I gotta take out?" Faith asked.

"Perhaps."

"What did Fred say?" Angel inquired.

"Apparently, Cordelia's very much expecting, approximately eight months, by the look of things."

"That's just not possible!" Angel couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Eight months ago, she was…."

"Yes, a higher being. And from my knowledge, she's not dated anyone since her return."

Clearing his throat, Angel reluctantly added, "That's not quite true. She slept with Connor."

"Whoa boy, you mean to tell us that Cordy got down and dirty with your kid? I thought she was his mother figure and all," Faith chimed in.

Wesley appeared very disturbed at this revelation, but suddenly began piecing together the puzzle. It just needed to be confirmed somehow. "So, eight months ago, Cordelia elevated to a higher plane, where she was allegedly incorporeal. She returned without her memories. That, I do not think she faked. Then, either during that time or soon after she got her memories back, she slept with Connor. And now, weeks later, she appears to be eight months pregnant and the Beast's Master. Am I getting this right?"

"Oh hey, I get it. Say she was up there, right, and something invaded her soul. You guys never found out why she was returned, right?" Taking their silence as an answer, Faith continued, "So, say it knocked her up somehow, but needed a boost to get the job done. Presto, Cordy's back and … she sleeps with Connor? OK, that part I still don't get. I mean Cordy had choices you know… Gunn and you, Wes, could do it."

Angel started to growl. He'd already thought about talking to Skip, but now he knew that doing so was mandatory.

"Angel?" both Wesley and Faith asked.

"We're going to see a demon about the 'gift' he gave Cordy."

*********************************

A/N: Here's the skinny on the dialogue contained in this chapter that comes from ATS. Some of it's straight as written, some has been manipulated either by adding or deleting words or by reassigning another character to say it. Lots of dialogue is my creation. The stuff that's not has been gleaned from ATS S4 episodes -"Orpheus," "Players" and "Inside Out."

Chapter Six

(Wesley's apartment)

Faith watched with amusement as Angel paced back and forth while alternating glaring at the door and Wesley. "Yo, Angel. The carpet's smoking. Give it a rest."

"I don't have time for this!" Angel snarled.

"Look, I know you're all 'let's bash some skulls' and all, but hey, the boss man's making sure our flank is covered. So, chill." Faith was itching to get going just as much as Angel was, but prison had helped teach her restraint. Keeping calm sometimes kept you alive, kept your wits about you. Glancing over at Wesley, who was on some mysterious phone call, she decided that if she had the chance, she'd like to stay in LA and get to know her ex-Watcher better.

Angelus sat down with a huff. He hated not being able to just go find Skip and torture him until he talked. 'Whoa, that sounds too much like Angelus. Not good.' Another round of brooding commenced.

Faith overheard Wesley ask, "You're already on your way?" (Pause) "Good. Good." (Pause) "Yes, I agree." (Pause) "That won't be necessary. No, that was taken care of." (Pause) "Quite. Meet us at…." Faith tuned him out. Walking over to the chessboard once more, Faith pocketed two pieces.

Even though he was occupied with his phone conversation, Wesley saw Faith pinch two of his expensive chess pieces. Trying to regain focus on what the caller was saying, he decided he would speak to Faith about it later, if she failed to tell him herself soon. "See you then," he said and then pressed the "Off" button.

Angel jumped up. "Now, can we go?"

With a resigned sigh Wesley acquiesced, "Yes, Angel. Faith?"

"I'm good to go, boss."

Angel flew out of the apartment. Wesley and Faith shared a look; Faith rolled her eyes, Wesley smirked, and then they proceeded to follow the impatient vampire.

***********
(Outside the Hyperion)

Fred covertly left through the garden and out the back entrance of the hotel. The alley was deserted, but she kept her guard up nonetheless. If any demon or vamp mistook her for some hapless victim, they'd soon be made aware of their error. She briskly walked to the end of the alley and made a left, going one more block before crossing over to the nearby diner. Instead of going inside, she made her way to the back where she saw Faith, Wesley and Angel standing beside Wesley's car.

"Wesley," she sighed with relief. "Angel? It's you, right?"

Softly, Angel responded, "Yeah, it's me. Hey, Fred."

"What, I get no love?" Faith snorted.

A huge grin spread across the Texan's face. "Faith, I just can't wait 'til you'll be able to tell me all the details about fighting the Beast. And thanks for returning the sun."

Embarrassed and not used to this sort of praise, Faith mumbled, "No prob."

"Fred, did you get it?" Wesley asked, bringing everyone back to the reason for the secret meeting.

"Yeah, just where you said it'd be. Under all those papers - really, Angel, you should organize. Funny little thing, isn't it?" Fred held up a metal disk and admired it one more time before placing it in Wesley's outstretched hand. "Oh, and this too, right?" Fred ferreted in her jeans pocket and fished out a key, and handed that over as well.

Fred smiled nervously, "You sure you'll be all right?"

Angel returned her smile and said, "I've done this before. Don't worry. Walk in the park."

*********
(In some park)

Angel, Faith and Wesley arrived at a deserted part of the park. Angel was about to say something when a figure stepped out from behind a tree. Faith caught the movement, too, and they both readied themselves for a fight.

"Hey, guys!" said Willow, who gave a simple wave.

"Willow? What are you doing here?" Angel asked. Faith remained quiet. She'd not seen Willow since the body-swap incident, and wasn't sure how the redhead would feel about her presence.

"Wesley called me."

Searching for an explanation, Angel faced Wesley. Wes dryly said, "She's a powerful witch and … she was backup in case my attempt at re-ensouling you failed."

"That's me, magical backup." Turning towards Faith, Willow smiled and said, "Hi, Faith. I've got lots to tell you. Seen any weird guys with no eyes and seriously sharp knives lately?"

Faith, taking the question the wrong way, rushed Willow and shouted, "You put Deb up to that! Does B know? Let me guess, she approved, laughed her ass off, I bet. Well, it didn't work; I'm still here. So, what'cha gonna try next?"

Angel had pulled Willow back from the irate Faith. Wesley saw only fear and confusion in Willow's countenance. "Faith…"

"What, Wes? Don't tell me you think I should just let this go."

"I'm not saying that, Faith, but perhaps you should reexamine the question Willow asked you. Did you encounter or see any men with no eyes in prison?"

Calming down slightly, Faith huffed, "None."

"Right, then. Willow, would you care to explain? Faith was attacked hours before I visited her."

Willow gulped, "Oh, thank the Goddess you're OK."

Now Faith was completely baffled. 'The Sunnydale crew didn't hire Deb to kill me?'

"Bringers?" Angel muttered.

Nodding at Angel, Willow continued. "It's the First, Faith. Remember how it tried to get Angel to kill himself before … er ... you went all rogue and all?" Faith nodded. "Well, now it's got bigger plans. Sending its Bringers out to kill all the girls who are potential Slayers."

"Trying to destroy the Slayer line," Wesley stated with awe.

"So what? No, warning. No, 'hey Faith, watch your back'?"

"It wasn't like that at all, promise. We … Buffy thought. And Giles agreed. That you were safe … since you were in prison. Honest."

"Why didn't anyone let me know?" Angel asked, obviously hurt. Everyone understood that "anyone" meant Buffy.

"Well, been kinda busy, what with the making Buffy's home a sanctuary for all potentials; the Watchers' Council Headquarters going kablooie; Spike getting souled up then insane, then brainwashed, then unchipped; and Turok-Hans running rampant in Sunny-D."

Willow got that all out in seemingly one breath. She saw that Faith's jaw had dropped, and Angel was all "grr-y," but Wesley seemed eerily detached. Then the questions came like a flood.

"What's a Turok-Han?" asked Faith.

"Spike did what?" snarled Angel.

"Watcher's HQ? Really?" Wesley queried.

(To Faith) "Neanderthal vampire - an Uber vamp. (Turning to Angel) Spike went to Africa to earn his soul, then the First got a hold of him, made him insane for a bit; he got better, or so it seemed. Then, because of the First's brainwashing, he killed again, but he snapped out of it when the First tried to get him to kill Buffy. (Breath) Before he was cured of that, the chip went wonky, and Buffy contacted the supposedly-no-longer-exists-Initiative to help. Buffy had a choice - replace the chip, let Spike die, or remove it. She told them to remove it. Now, the next part I just learned on the cell on my way here. Robin just tried to kill Spike, but accidentally helped deprogram him. See, Robin is Nikki Wood's son…"

"Nikki Wood, the second Slayer that Spike, the Slayer of Slayers, killed," stated Wesley matter-of-factly.

"Ummm, yeah. So then, Spike's all good again, with no worries. Or at least, that's what Buffy says. (Facing Wesley) Yeah, a bomb exploded, killing most of the Watchers. A few are still scattered, but the building is kaput. Er … sorry."

Angel's jaw was clenched so tight that Willow thought he'd break it. 'I shouldn't have mentioned Spike. Buffy told me not to,' thought Willow. Faith saw it, too, gave a nod that Willow took to mean "sorry," and went up to Angel. Willow motioned for Wesley to walk a bit with her.

"I think Angel's going to explode into lots of Angel dust. Ha ha, get it? Angel dust? Come on, it's funny." Willow tried to get Wesley to even crack a smile.

"Sorry. I think my sense of humor's trapped in a jar somewhere."

"Does seem like you've given in to the grumpy side of the force."

"A lot's happened. Not just Angelus. I've been - I've changed. I've seen a darkness in myself. I'm not sure you'd even begin to understand -"

"I flayed a guy alive and tried to destroy the world," Willow said brightly, but with a furrowed brow.

Stopping in his tracks, Wesley paused a beat before saying, "Oh. So ... " He was totally gobsmacked. The young, sweet, innocent Willow of the past had flayed a guy alive and then tried to destroy the world! He wondered why and how she recovered so well.

"Darkness. Been there."

"Yeah. Well, I never flayed ..." A slightly sickened look crossed his face momentarily, then disappeared.

"I had a woman chained in a closet."

"Hey," said Willow nudging his arm.

"That doesn't compare." Wesley seemed to almost pout.

"No, dark. That's dark. You've been to a place," Willow reassured.

"You seem exactly the same as when I left. No other major changes I'm not up on?"

'Only that I'm gay. My Tara died. I pulled Buffy out of Heaven, and Buffy and Spike used to have more sex than bunnies.' Shrugging, Willow safely answered, "Just the little things."

They walked for a few moments in silence, before Willow ventured, "So, everything you told me is true? About Cordy, I mean." Wesley nodded. "What is it about us original Scoobs? Xander went all hyena-Xander, and then Dracula's butt monkey. And let's not forget his demon magnetism. Me, well, I told you the worst that I did. Buffy went Cave Buffy a few years ago. And now Cordy's either possessed or the new evil in town." Willow shook her head in dismay. "We're cursed."

"There, there. You're not all cursed. Just happens that you live on a Hellmouth and things tend to happen there. Los Angeles is not exactly a demon-free zone, either."

"Okay, let's stop commiserating and get to world save-age. Oh, by the way, good job with the spells."

"Thank you, Willow." Wesley beamed. They returned to fine Faith and Angel in a deep discussion.

"I'm going with you. I am the Slayer, after all," Faith argued.

"You're not going."

Wesley interrupted, "No, Angel, this time we're all going. We all need to hear this. Besides, I have the key and the disk." He held up both items.

******
(In the demon fortress dimension, seen in ATS S3, episode 2)

Holding her stomach, her hair mussed, Willow said, "OK, that was a tad disconcerting."

"Man, what a ride! That was almost better than sweaty shower sex. Damn, is it always like that? 'Cause if it is, I'm definitely going to have to get me a set of those keys and disk things," exclaimed Faith, panting, hair tossed about.

"Erm … quite," Wesley agreed, looking a bit violated himself. "It wasn't like that when we went to Pylea. So, I can't answer your question Faith."

Angel silently watched them. He wondered what they experienced. He hadn't felt anything significant. Perhaps it had to do with him being a vampire. To divert their attention from the portal transport, he pointed to the fortress on the next hill. "That's where we need to go. Now, there are demons of all types here. Not sure if magic will work, Willow. So, you got weapons, use them. Let's go."

Just like the last time Angel had visited this place, the demons seemed to know someone was coming. It was as if portal activity triggered some type of alarm. As soon as the group started up the hill towards their destination, the demons started attacking.

Willow stayed as close to Faith as she could. Faith was slicing and dicing her way through an enormous demon with tusks and a pig's snout when a scaly demon snuck up behind Willow. On instinct, she cried out, "Aer fio Pugnus." It worked, repelling scaly-face ten feet away. Knowing her magic worked here, Willow cast a shielding spell.

The barrier dropped over Faith, who said, "What the hell? Will, why'd ya have to kill my fun?" "Sorry," Willow said, and then realigned the barrier so that Faith could slay. "Now, that's more like it."

"Ladies, I suggest you move quickly. Angel's made a path," announced Wesley.

"K, boss. Will, move!"

Following Angel, the rest of the troupe entered the fortress. They found themselves in an empty chamber, save for one really nasty looking demon. It was puce with blue stripes, a forked tongue, and arms that Arnold would envy.

"Give me the demons in LA and on the Hellmouth any day. It's Butt-Ugly-Ville here," decreed Faith. Willow nodded.

"He's not so tough," Angel said. "Just watch out for his tongue."

"Gotcha."

*******
(Inside the chambers of the fortress)

"I really hate the park," Angel muttered as he picked up his sword from the ground and moved deeper inside the chamber. He heard growling sounds coming from the next room, so he turned to the others and made a "Shhh" gesture. Quietly sneaking up behind the demon in the next room, Angel raised his sword to attack, but then the demon spun around, facing Angel.

"Oh! Angel, geez. Don't they knock in your dimension?" Skip stammered, clearly startled.

"Sorry. Wasn't sure it was you."

"Powerful demon Skip, at your service. (Noticing Faith, Willow and Wesley) And I see you've brought friends this time. Hey, I - I got some more buffalo wings and, uh, the game's on at five if you guys want to just…"

"We're a little pressed right now. When was the last time you saw Cordelia?" asked Angel impatiently.

"Who?" asked Skip, clearly playing dumb.

Grimacing, Angel snapped, "She told me you were her guide when she decided to become half-demon."

"She did, huh? (shrugged) Okay, look, I wanted to give you the heads up, but you know how the Powers are -- always making with the big hush hush," Skip replied nervously.

Angel began to pace. "What do you know?"

"This is going to be really hard for you to accept, but Cordelia has ascended."

"Oh, I know. She's back."

"Back?" Skip tried looking befuddled, which was sort of hard to do given his coloring and all.

"Or at least something that looks like her," grumbled Angel.

"Well, wait. Nobody comes back from paradise. Okay, a Slayer once, but that -- (seeing Willow blush) Hey, aren't you the witch that did that? You are, aren't you? You're famous. Say, can I have your autograph?"

Willow stammered, "I didn't know she was in paradise. I thought she was trapped in a hell dimension, 'cause, you know, Glory and all. And a world of no."

Skip appeared genuinely upset that he couldn't get Willow's autograph. "That's okay, I understand."

Clearing his throat, Angel interrupted, "So, you haven't heard anything?"

"Uh, not since her ascension. Oh, it was beautiful. Should've been there." Skip couldn't help but get in that dig.

"You were a part of that?"

"It's in the job description. As Cordelia's guide, I'm there for all the important events."

"Except her welcome back party."

"Yes, why didn't the Powers invite you to that?" asked Wesley.

"Mysterious ways. They can really drive a guy nuts." Skip laughed.

Angel gritted his teeth, then relaxed them before saying, "Or maybe if you had known something, you might've warned us. No, about the only one not keen on that slipping out is the one pulling her strings."

"Not following you there, champ," Skip replied nervously. He saw that the dark-haired girl had started to move behind him.

"You said it yourself, you were there." Angel walked up to Skip as Faith moved directly behind him. "Guiding Cordelia to her ascension, seeing her off to a higher plane, which is exactly where this thing needed her to be to make its move. So, I'm thinking either you've been played for a dupe like the rest of us, or you've been in on this from the start, Skippy."

Skip began laughing nervously. Both Angel and Faith joined in the laughter, albeit with sarcasm. Willow's eyes flashed back and forth between black and green. Wesley, stoic as ever, smirked slightly.

"Angel, buddy, whatever's going on, I'm telling you true …" Here Skip raised his forearm in front of him, triggering a dagger to be released. "Not a dupe," Skip stated.

Realizing what was about to happen, Wesley cried, "Angel, look out!"

Angel slid to his left, but just a second too late, as the dagger sliced into his arm. It would have been worse without Wesley's warning. Angel swung his sword, connecting with Skip's chest, but it didn't penetrate Skip's body armor. Faith attacked Skip's flank to no avail, as Skip knocked away Angel's sword and grabbed Angel by the neck.

"Not like last time, is it, monkey boy?" Skip taunted, throwing Angel across the room.

Strutting toward Angel and ignoring the rest of the gang, Skip continued to taunt. "You know, the worst part about signing on for this gig (punch) was having to take a dive when you rescued that runt, Billy, from his box of fire." With a kick, Angel flew across the room, narrowly missing Willow. "I mean, come on! You really think a guy built like this would be so easy to drop? This time we do it for real, champion. This time," Skip grinned, "you lose."

"No, you're wrong, Skippy," announced Faith, who had snuck up behind Skip. With that, she grabbed Skip's left arm and tossed him across the room. Rushing up with a follow through set of punches, she rants, "You're the monkey boy … you're armor's for shit … and I hate your peanut butter, too!"

"She's a Slayer! You brought a Slayer here?" Skip stuttered.

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" Faith rolled her eyes. "First, the Beast and now this chump. Damn."

Angel looked on in shock, because his punches never seemed to faze Skip, but Faith seemed to instinctively know where his weak points were. As Angel regained his footing, he demanded, "Tell me, what happened to Cordelia."

"Or, what? You'll sic your pet Slayer on me some more?" Skip spat out some blood. "You knew you couldn't take me one on one (spit)." Skip managed to buck Faith off him, and he raced across the room to once again knock Angel to the ground. "I'm going to kill you and all your little friends, and you'll die never knowing what really happened to the woman you love. Gotta respect the classics."

"He might, but I don't have to," Faith said. Skip turned in time to catch a chain to his face. The chain caught on a large spur on his head and ripped it off. Skip screamed in pain and held his hand to his head. Faith repeatedly punched him in the face 'til he passed out. "Never had much need for books," she sniffed.

"Erm … Faith, he meant classics in terms of the history of plots, espionage, and other sundry activities… not Shakespeare, Dante, Chaucer …" Wesley corrected.

"Oh, well." Faith shrugged, and then lent a hand to Angel, helping him up.

*******
(Meanwhile, back at the Hyperion, Cordy's room)

Cordelia was extremely pissed. Her pet had been killed, Angelus was nowhere to be found, and she'd not been able to get any "quality" time with Connor. She really needed to mold him to be her champion, not to mention he was critical to the birthing. Every time, he came to the room, either Fred or Gunn were with him. She'd not even seen or heard from Lorne in the past few hours. Her instincts were telling her something was wrong, but she couldn't put a finger on it.

"Everything's under control. Just have to get Connor alone."

*******
(Hyperion, Lobby)

Fred returned from her rendezvous and met Gunn in Angel's office.

"Everything go okay?" Gunn asked.

"Just peachy. Where's Connor?"

"Lorne told him he needed help with a project. That he needed protection. You know Destructo-boy … always ready, willing, and able to take on a fight."

"Yeah. That was good thinking," said Fred.

"You know, I just can't get over it."

"Over what?"

Startled, Fred and Gunn turned to the door, where Cordy stood wearing a trampy outfit that fully displayed her ample stomach and engorged breasts. "I said, over what?"

"You know, Cord, over Angelus still roaming, free-range. All that's happened. Speaking of which, damn girl, what happened to you?" Gunn acted surprised by Cordelia's appearance. And really, he was. Even though he'd been up to her room with Connor a few times, he'd not been able to see anything, really. Fred had told him earlier, but hearing and seeing were two very different things.

Fred relaxed slightly and smiled at Gunn's smooth covering lines. She watched in horror, even though she kept a straight face, as Cordy started rubbing her belly with affection. Now, normally, this wouldn't bother her - a pregnant mother rubbing her stomach - but that couldn't possibly be any human baby in there.

"I know, it's a bit of a shock. I mean, nobody's more shocked than me. OK, maybe Connor," Cordy said.

"Um, sorry to be so … but I'm, like you said, kinda shocked," stammered Fred, covering her complete lack thereof.

"Yeah, 'cause hasn't it only been like … Definitely shocked," supplied Gunn.

"I haven't been hiding, or ashamed, or anything …It's just, with the Beast and his psycho master, and then Faith and all that drama-rama, not to mention …"

"Angelus," both Gunn and Fred stated.

"Everything's just been so 'Clash of the Titans' around here. I didn't wanna be a distraction."

"How long have you known?" asked Fred.

"Some time after we brought forth Angelus," replied Cordy.

"That's a couple of weeks. Looks more like eight months," Gunn asserted. "But then again, last time you were impregnated, you came to term overnight, didn't you?"

"That was a crawly evil demon thing. This is different," Cordy uttered.

"Still, shouldn't we try and find out … what's in there?" Fred ventured.

"I already know. It's my baby … and Connor's."

"Well, I guess Angel's gonna have a grandspawn, that is, if we can get him back," Gunn smarted off.

"I know it's hard to understand. None of you have ever had a living being growing inside of you. And this …" Cordelia looked at her belly, "my sweet baby … we're connected. I feel what it feels. I can't explain it, but I sense its goodness, its love." Cordelia quickly turned her back to the others, as the creature inside squirmed visibly under her skin. When it stopped, she whirled back around. "You'll see," Cordelia smiled. "My baby will be here soon, and then you'll all see."

Fred and Gunn watched as Cordelia ascended the stairs, and made sure she was out of earshot before they spoke again.

"OK, that didn't sound good," Gunn said.

"No, it didn't." Fred shuddered. "You don't think we sounded too harsh?"

"Two vampires hook up, and - for the only time in vamp history - have a kid, our boy Connor. Then Connor grows up, knocks it out with Cordelia, a part-demon former higher-being. And - quick as you can say 'Easy Bake Oven' - there's a gigantic bun in hers." Gunn shook his head. "I don't think we were too harsh."

"I wish the others were back," Fred mumbled.

"Me too, girl, me too."

***********
(Fortress dimension, Skip's lair)

Willow spread a circle of red sand around Skip's prone body. "That oughtta do the trick. Don't worry, I've got others."

A few more minutes passed before Skip woke up and found himself inside a cylinder of red light. Skip touched the light, but quickly retracted his hand. The light disappeared.

"Sand of the red palm," he chuckled. "A child's trick," Skip joked.

Faith snarked, "Then why don't you come out and play."

"In time."

Angel stood with crossed arms in front of Skip. "You'll have a lot of that after we make your accommodations a little more permanent. Willow?"

"There's the Sphere of the Infinite Agonies. Every second a lifetime. I should be able to whip that up in say, five minutes. Plus, you know those 'Harry Potter' books? Well, I've figured out how to do something like the Crucio spell. It's so cool. Or," Willow's eyes flashed black momentarily, "I could simply flay him … he's a demon, he'll live, but what a mess the armor removal will be."

Angel smugly demanded, "Everything you know, or she starts whipping."

"Hey," Skip held up his hands in surrender, "Whoa. I'm just a merc. I go where the deal is, and not getting stuck in one of those, or being flayed? Bargain. Anybody got a cig?"

Angel started pacing. "Cordelia. Where is she?"

"I don't know, hot shot, you tell me."

"The real Cordelia. Not this thing that's been posing as her."

Skip laughed. "How'd I ever get spanked by such a chump nut?" Skip looked Angel up and down and sighed. "That thing which has turned your life into a burning ring of fire? She is the real Cordelia. (beat) Or at least, she's in there somewhere. This whole thing ..."

Faith interrupted, "Is it Queen C or not?"

"Oh, it's her. She just ain't driving," answered Skip.

"Something took control of her on the higher plane?" asked Angel.

Skip grinned. "Drill a little deeper, Hoss. How you think she got there in the first place?"

For the first time, Wesley spoke. "You're saying her ascension was all part of this thing's plan?"

"No, Cordelia was chosen to become a higher being because she's such a pure, radiant saint," Skip scoffed. "Puh-lease." Both Willow and Faith couldn't help but snicker.

Angel glared at the two Sunnydale alums. Both girls mumbled apologies.

Skip continued, "You really think it matters? I mean, nothing I tell you is gonna change what's gonna happen."

"Cut the gloom and doom. What's taken over Cordy?" demanded Angel.

"Something beyond your comprehension. To give it voice would rend your feeble brain into a quivering mass of …"

"Willow, infinite agony," commanded Angel as he started to walk away.

Willow's eyes turn ebony, which freaked Faith out. She had just opened her mouth to speak when Skip hastily asserted, "OK, you got me. It doesn't even have a name."

"Then what do you call it, Skippy?" Faith snapped.

"Oh, 'Master' or 'Hey.'"

"Ah, it doesn't make sense. Cordy was made a higher being because she proved herself to the Powers by bearing their visions. This thing couldn't have …" Angel began.

"Unless it maneuvered her to inherit the visions in the first place," finished Wesley.

"Uh, oh. Better step on it. The rubes are catching up," quipped Skip, sarcastically.

Angel had a revelation. "It wasn't just her ascension. Everything that's happened to Cordy in the past few years - all of it - was planned."

Skip smirked. "You really think it stops with her, amigo? You have any concept of how many lines have to intersect in order for a thing like this to play out? How many events have to be nudged in just the right direction? Lorne leaving Pylea. Gunn's sister. Fred opening the wrong book. (Skip looked at Wesley.) Sleeping with the enemy. (beat) Gosh," Skip chuckled, "I love a story with scope."

"Squash this. We make our own choices. Free will, yo." Faith shook her head.

Skip replied, "Yeah, sure. Cheese sandwich here, uh, when to floss. But the big stuff, like two vampires squeezing out a kid?"

Angel said quietly, "Connor."

"An impossible birth to make one possible," chimed in Wesley.

"That's what the kid was designed for," declared Skip.

"What? To make like a bad Oedipus play?" asked Willow.

"To create a vessel," stated Angel.

"Look out. The monkey's thinking again," teased Skip.

"Being inside a human makes it vulnerable, doesn't it? That's why it had to stay hidden. Why it needed to create something stronger to pour itself into."

Faith looked ill. "Wait. So the big nasty inside of Cordy is going to give birth ... to itself?"

"Circle of life. It's a beautiful thing," Skip snarked.

"How do we stop it?" Angel inquired.

Skip laughed. "That's the easy part, slick. All you gotta do is find Cordelia and chop her head off."

"Has to be another way."

"Sure. Stab her in the heart, kidney, couple pokes in the lung -"

"A way that won't kill Cordy in the process," Angel insisted.

Skip sighed, "Takes a whole lot of cramming to get that much sweetness into a human. It's in every hair, every cell, every molecule of Cordelia's body, and it ain't letting go 'til it's got a brand new bag."

Willow asked, "What happens to Cordy then?"

Skip shrugged. "Drained of her life force during labor. Those contractions are a real bitch."

"It'll kill her?" Angel stopped pacing.

"Or she'll end up a head of cabbage."

Wesley faced Angel. "What do you wanna do?"

Skip gleefully announced, "The only thing you can do. Kill the woman he loves to save the world. Times like this? Really gotta suck being you."

Willow spoke up, "Angel doesn't love Cordelia. He loves Buffy. Geesh."

Hands on her hips, Faith sassed, "You still buy that fairytale, Will?"

"Well, yeah. 'Cause they're soulmates."

Skipped laughed loudly. "What? They are, aren't they? Angel, tell them," Willow pled.

Ignoring Willow, Angel asked, "If, when we get back to our dimension, I need to find her, how do I do that?"

Skip refused to answer. Angel walked forward just outside the circle. "How?"

"Well, I'd go with the Bu'shundi ritual but, uh, you're gonna need a sacred Hutamin paw for that …"

"We've got that," Wesley stated.

"Me, too," said Willow, although still uneasy about Angel not reaffirming his love for Buffy.

Skip was shocked. "What?"

Wesley calmly explained, "Cordy - the real Cordy - kept one in her desk drawer."

"And I have one …'cause I'm a witch." Willow reached into her bag and held hers up.

Skip stammered, "Those are probably knock-offs. It's not some trinket you'd throw in a desk drawer - or carry in some bag."

Wesley sighed, "Cordy thought it was a back scratcher. I didn't have the heart to tell her what it really was."

"I got mine from Anya."

Flabbergasted, Skip asked, "Anyanka?"

Grinning, Willow demurely said, "We're friends. Even though she and Xander didn't get married, and she went all vengeance demon again. But now she's back to plain old human."

Faith nudged Willow. "Xander almost got married?

The group walked out of the fortress and to the next hill. Right before Wesley reopened the vortex, Faith asked, "Hey, we gonna leave that dude like that? Why couldn't I just slay him?"

"Oh, this is so cool. All I have to do is wave my hand, and the sand will go poof. Then back on our side of the vortex … I've got a little something that will permanently close that portal," Willow excitedly explained.

"Cool."

"With that out of the way, shall we get on with this, then?" Wesley was ready to do what needed to be done, even if the others weren't.

Angel, preoccupied with ideas on how to save Cordy, simply nodded.

Inserting the key into the disk, Wesley sat it on the ground. The disk began to spin and a vortex opened.

"After you," Wesley gestured to Willow. Willow waved her hand and stepped into the vortex. Faith, Angel and Wesley followed.

**************************


A/N: Some of the dialogue in this chapter comes from ATS. Some of it's straight as written, some has been manipulated either by adding or deleting words or by reassigning another character to say it. Lots of dialogue is my creation. The stuff that's not has been gleaned from ATS S4 episodes -"Orpheus," "Players" and "Home."

Chapter Seven

(Back at the park, Earth side)

Wesley dialed Gunn's pager to let them know they were back. He keyed the numbers 2225 (BACK) when it asked for a text message.

"Guys, I was thinking about how to get this thing out of Cordy. It needs a vessel, right? So, we give it another one," Willow announced.

Wesley hadn't considered that and was intrigued. "What do you have in mind, Willow?"

"Okay, so right now it thinks that Cordy's this yummy host. So, we make her not seem so great somehow. I haven't worked that out yet. At the same time, we offer it what's really a harmless object. It goes to this object and then we can, say, send it to another dimension, or back to its own."

"I do see some value in that idea, Willow. Even though Skip did not actually say it, I got the impression that it would not survive outside its host for more than a certain amount of time. Presumably, this would be the birthing. Once that ritual - whatever it entails - happens, our dimension would not harm the creature. But, I'm sorry to say, I fail to see how we could possibly entice this creature to leave Cordy, especially for some harmless object."

Angel listened in silence. Hope had sparked in his mind when Willow came up with her suggestion, but then dulled again after Wesley spoke. He couldn't figure out a way to save her. He just couldn't.

Faith also listened. "Let's hear Willow out some more. It might work, boss. It might not. Trying something's better than sitting on our asses."

Willow smiled at Faith; she'd really changed. "A few things that I've seen happen back home might be helpful here."

"Like what?" Faith prompted.

"Okay, say Wesley's right. We can't entice the beastie to come out of Cordy, so we have to banish it somehow. Send it to the object of our choice. What gives me this idea is something that happened during my sophomore year. Do you remember my rat, Amy, Faith?"

"Yeah, strange, little beast. Creeped me out."

"Well, that's probably because Amy is actually Amy Madison. During our Junior year, this Hansel-Gretel demon came to town, got all the parents riled up, and Amy, Buffy and I found ourselves almost burned at the stake, literally. As Amy's stake was set afire, she chanted a spell and turned herself into a rat. But that's not the point. Her mother, Catherine Madison, was also a witch. She wanted Amy to be a cheerleader so badly that she body switched with Amy, and cursed all the girls on the squad who stood in her way of getting on the line. So, in the end, she was cornered and cast a spell. Buffy bounced it back at her, and she vanished. Last year, when I was all Dark Willow, I felt Catherine's presence. She'd been buried in the ashes of the old high school the whole time. She had accidentally trapped herself inside her old cheerleading trophy. Remember the one whose eyes seemed to follow you?"

Faith shuddered, "Yeah. Man, that's gotta suck. I've got issues with small spaces."

"So, what you're trying to say is that you know the spell that was used to send her inside this object?" Wesley questioned, trying to make sense from the overflow of information.

"With a little tweaking…umm…yeah. Oh, and another thing," Willow continued, her excitement very evident. "Glory. She had a human host, Ben. They sort of time-shared that body. Not quite the same as Cordy, but sort of. But…" her face fell, "that really doesn't help us."

Angel finally joined the conversation. "Why not?"

"'Cause Giles killed Ben. Didn't kill Glory, just permanently trapped her in a corpse for eternity." Willow didn't reveal that she'd also learned this from her Dark Willow period during her magical battle with Giles. When she'd drained his borrowed power, some of his darkest secrets were revealed to her in the taking, among them - Ben's death and some EWWW moments with Ethan Rayne.

"Oh, no; you're right, that doesn't help," said Angel.

"Sorry."

"It's okay."

"So, looks like we go with Plan A," announced Faith.

"Which is?" Wesley was confused.

"Duh, banish the creature into an object. Send it back where it came from…in a dimension far, far away." Faith noticed Willow trying to hold in a laugh.

"What? So, I got to see a few movies. Not much to do when you're killing time."

**************
(15 minutes later at Wesley's apartment)

"You know, something just occurred to me," Wesley told Angel.

"What's that?"

"I think Skip slipped up and gave us a clue."

"Get to the point."

Wes gave Angel an annoyed look before continuing. "Skip said that the creature is something beyond our comprehension. 'To give it voice.' It was the 'to give it voice' that struck me. And then he said it didn't have a name. Giving it a voice may equal saying its name. Word magic."

Willow overheard Wes and joined in. "Oh, that's very powerful magic. So, you think the key to this is finding out its name? Naming it would give us power over it?"

"Precisely."

"We don't know what it is, Wes. How are we going to find out its name without alerting it that we're on its trail?" Angel asked in frustration.

Both Willow and Wesley drew a blank. Faith thought for a bit and then contributed, "Look, this thing's from somewhere. It's gotta have left some trace. Isn't there some kind of mojo you can whip up that would be like a search engine?"

"Perhaps I can help you there." The group spun around to face the speaker. There, in the middle of the street, stood….

"Lilah," Angel snarled.

"Angel. What's the matter, ace? Didn't think you were the only one that ever got to come back from hell around here, did ya?" Lilah cleared her throat. "Speaking of which, does anyone have a water bottle?"

"What are you doing here, Lilah?" Angel continued to glare at the dead lawyer.

Wesley spluttered in disbelief, "She's not here. It's not her. It can't be."

"There's a signed dollar in your wallet that says different," Lilah smirked.

"It's a lie," Wes insisted.

Lilah joked, "Lie. Lah. It's a Lie-lah." Turning to Angel, she suggested, "You're the one with the preternatural senses. You tell him."

"It's true, Wes. It's her."

"Wait, I thought you said this bitch was dead?" Faith snapped.

"She's still dead," Angel replied.

"Vampire?" Willow asked. Faith shook her head no; her Slayer senses weren't picking up anything like that about 'Lilah.'

"Eww, please. Angelus drank from me, it's true, but like with most men, it was a one-way street. I was dead already. Besides, my Wesley made sure I'd be spared, just in case." She pulled down the scarf adorning her neck to reveal a straight, red scar across her neck. With a wink at Wes, Lilah said, "It's OK, lover. I never felt a thing."

Weakly, Wes smiled. "I'm sure that's true."

"I don't understand," Willow confessed to Faith.

"She's no vamp." Faith tilted her head as if listening to something. "She's no demon. But she's also no human. All I know is, she's registers as 'hell-bitch' on my Slayer radar."

"So, what is she, then?" Willow whispered to Faith.

Turning to Willow, Lilah revealed, "I'm just a messenger. That's all. They'll be sending me straight back to hell once I'm finished here."

"Who's they?" asked Faith.

Angel deduced, "Wolfram & Hart. The contract she signed with them extends beyond her death."

"Standard perpetuity clause, I'm afraid. Always read the fine print," she confirmed.

"What's your game, Lilah?"

"No game. In fact, my time for playing games is over. Guess what, kiddies? This is where we enter bizzaro world. I'm here on orders from the Senior Partners and the Powers That Be."

"That can't be," exclaimed Wes.

"But it is, Wes. I'm authorized to tell you that what's about to happen will change everything, so much so that the Powers and the Partners actually agree on something. It's historic, really."

"So, what's the catch? If we listen to you?" summed up Faith.

"Like I said, no games, no catch. This is a freebie, folks. I'd take it."

"What do they want us to know?" asked Angel.

"They want to give you a hint as to the identity of said thing invading your precious Cordelia. Also, you get this." Opening up her briefcase, she retrieved an item in her left hand. Extending her left hand, the group saw a blue, glowing orb.

"Is that some sort of portal?" Faith asked. "'Cause I'm good to go."

Lilah shook her head, "Sorry, Poptart, you can't. Well, you could, but then your lungs would explode. On second thought, go ahead."

Willow held Faith back from the not-so-nice-sort-of-dead-but-not lady. Faith didn't want to hurt Will's feelings; she could've just cast her aside and gone after the bitch, but she was a good Slayer now. Lilah just grinned. Faith so wanted to wipe that grin right off her face. "Angel, do something about the trash," she growled.

"No need," Lilah said. "Seeing as how you don't require the use of your lungs, you'll be the only one who can make this trip, Angel. Watch out for the bugs. I hear that they grow 'em big there."

Without another word, Lilah popped back out of the apartment.
************

(Perched on a rooftop directly across from Wesley's apartment)

Dracula had not immediately fled town, as Angel and the Slayer thought. As he'd approached L.A.'s city limits, his sense of self-preservation was shoved aside by burning anger. How dare they?! I am Dracula! First, that bony blonde slayer had humiliated him, and now this dark beauty also rejected his offer of immortality and an existence of luxury.

Then that upstart bastard Angelus had threatened to burn his home with his brides inside. He would do it, too, especially when he was souled. Those idiotic humans believed that Angelus was the evil one, but no, "Angel" was the one the other vampires truly feared. His unpredictability, especially since he'd taken it upon himself to believe himself special, lent credence to this fear.

Dracula remembered their first meeting. Darla had turned the drunkard and decided to take him on a tour of the Old Country before presenting him to the Master. Darla had disgusted him with her whorish behavior, pretending to be from high society, when it was blatantly obvious that she'd been nothing more than a bottom of the barrel, gutter-snipe prostitute. He had rejected her when she had thrown herself at him the last time they'd met.

Angelus must have been only two or three years turned when he and Darla had shown up, quite unexpectedly and uninvited, at Dracula's castle. Despite the inconvenience, Drac had maintained the air of congenial host, given Darla's status as the Aurelian Master's favorite Childe. She'd come to flaunt her "boy" to everyone, expecting to be the envy of the court. Darla had thought the presence of the boy would provoke feelings of jealousy in Dracula. She was quite wrong.

Now, he stood across the street, having a clear view of the little gathering taking place in the lair of the one Faith had called Wes. Perhaps, the lady - Cordy - would be interested in this development. Perhaps his trip to L.A. would not be a waste after all.

***************
(Hyperion - Cordy's room)

The Master was beyond angry. The day had not gone as she planned. She had already written off the loss of the Beast. He'd done what he was supposed to do, just not for long enough. However, two good things did happen: Faith being injured, and Faith not being in the hotel. Make that three good things - Faith not being around her.

Still, the Master knew the quiet was not a good sign. Angelus had yet to make an appearance. Sure, she'd been able to connect with him after her pet's death, but nothing since then. Perhaps he was also injured in some way. If so, that wouldn't do at all.

And that so-called Dracula had not so much as thanked her for pointing him to Faith. He should be feeling lucky; had The First not screwed up with its choice of assassins, little Faithy would be locked up in a morgue. What was with his getup anyway? Had he or his harem never heard of a thing called a mall? Had the names Gucci, Tom Ford, Calvin Klein and Valentino never sounded in his ears? He was so last century…make that so last, last century.

There was a knock at her door.

"Who is it?" Cordy asked.

"It's just me… Fred. Can I come in?"

Rubbing her belly and rolling her eyes at the same time (Heh, go me with the coordination.), Cordy replied, "Sure, Fred, come in."

Cordy watched Fred ease the door open with the edge of a tray. It smelled like tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. With a responding growl from her stomach, she realized that she'd not eaten anything today, and that wasn't good for the baby.

"Thought you might like something to eat. We haven't seen you come downstairs since…earlier. Hey, we didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. We're just concerned and … well, shocked."

"Oh… thanks for the food. It's not you guys. It's just, you know, with Angelus still out there, I just feel safer up here," Cordy said. Then, easing into her concerns, she added, "Have there been any sightings? Have Connor and Lorne gotten back yet? I'm afraid for them… being out there with Angelus on the loose."

Cordy saw Fred shift her stance and fidget with her hands. So, little Miss Texas is keeping secrets from me! If this were Pylea, she would be mere cattle. Deceitful bitch.

"Nothing on the Angelus front," Fred said, thinking to herself, Okay, that's not a lie. "Lorne called just a bit ago. He and Connor should be back in an hour."

"What does Lorne have him doing anyway?" Don't you realize that he should be here with me! Maybe that's it. They're keeping him from his fatherly duties. That won't do!

"Well, first Lorne had to go pick up some supplies, and he didn't feel safe without a bodyguard. So, Connor went with him. Then, they were stopping by Caritas…" Fred blurted out without thinking.

"Caritas? Is Lorne thinking of opening that again?"

Trying to cure some of the damage, Fred went for the clueless response. "I'm not sure. He could be. That, or he's cleaning it up to sell. You'd better eat your soup; it's getting cold."

"Yeah, I'll do that." Cordy feigned the first bite of her sandwich as Fred walked out of her room.

"I'll do that and more… much more."

"The petite one is right, my lady; you really should eat. It would not be good for the child if its mother starved," Dracula said, as he appeared just inside the window.

Startled, Cordelia jumped, the sandwich dropping to the floor. "Now, look at what you made me do! Ever hear of a little thing called knocking? I'm sure it was around in your time. When was that again? Dawn of Man?"

"No need to be rude, my lady," Dracula began, but then was interrupted by the "lady."

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be nibbling on a nice, ripe Slayer right about now? Unless you're coming to tell me that my little problem has been taken care of, I don't want to hear any excuses." Holding up her hand, she continued. "I know that slut killed my pet; that couldn't be helped. I'm not going to hold that against you. Now, tell me what I want to hear."

The sheer nerve of this harpy! Here I've come to reveal major news that she apparently has no clue about, and yet she chastises me. I shall reveal nothing. Let the sublime Faith and the self-important Angel deal with her. "Hubris, my lady. That's what I've come to tell you. Hubris has been and always will be the downfall of all gods and villains. Mark me well."

"What? Look, I don't have time to deal with riddles right now."

Dracula watched in fascination as the "child" in Cordy's stomach writhed. He knew then that his senses had been correct. It wasn't a human child, but some sort of demon, replete with enormous power. She was close to delivering this abomination. Yes, I shall leave this for Angel. I've stayed too long from my sweet brides. But I shall save one surprise.

"You're still here," Cordelia snapped, rubbing her temples.

"I am departing this dreadful city, taking a prize with me." He closed off his mind from her just in case she decided to test him.

"Well, I would say it's been a pleasure…." As Cordy looked up to finish her put down, she frowned with disappointment. Dracula had vanished.

**************
(Meanwhile, what used to be Caritas)

Wesley went first, followed by Willow, then Angel, carrying a bowling bag, with Faith covering the rear, down the stairs of the once-haven for humans and demons alike. The interior still wasn't what it used to be, but it did appear that some restoration had been made. Wesley called out, "Lorne?"

"Kid Vicious and I are over here, Wes."

"Angelus!" Connor stormed towards his father, but then Willow held up her hand saying, "REPEL!" Connor was pushed back to a no-so lethal distance from his father.

Faith stalked up to Connor and grabbed his wrist, jerking hard. "Break me off a switch, son." She hurled him through some of the few undamaged tables. "There's about to be a whoopin'."

"Connor, it's over. It's me. Really," Angel declared.

"I'm not stupid," Connor snapped.

Rolling her eyes, Faith said, "Then don't act like it, shrimp."

"Who's that? She's a witch?" asked a confused and broody Connor.

"Yes. Hi. You must be Angel's handsome, yet androgynous, son," replied Willow.

"It's Connor," sneered Connor.

Nodding, Willow said, "And the sneer's genetic. Who knew?"

Wesley cleared his throat. "Has anyone told him?"

Lorne shook his head in the negative. "Fred and Gunn wanted to wait until Angelcakes returned with you in tow."

On the way over, the group had argued about what and how much to tell Connor. Angel wanted to lie to him, to protect him. Willow realized that it was Angel's natural inclination to do that - to assume that he knew best how to protect someone. Then she remembered all those conversations with Buffy post Angel leavage. Wesley argued for something in the middle. But Faith surprised them all by saying that, if they ever wanted Connor to really trust them, he had to hear it all - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Wesley upturned one of the fallen tables and found a chair. He sat and told Connor to have a seat. Although still sulking, Connor did so.

"Wait! Let me do this first," said Willow. She chanted, "Permissum quis est orator exsisto incuratus. Okay, now."

"What'd she do?"

"Oh, it's nothing really, just a little soundproofing," she explained.

"Connor, we've learned some disturbing things in the past two days. We know who was behind the Beast, and much more," Wesley started.

"Who?" Connor jumped in.

"I'll get to that in a minute. We also found out that this evil has been around us for quite some time. Things that we never noticed or thought weren't important actually were. We found out that you were key to this event."

"Is that why the Beast knew my name?"

"Yes, that, among other things." Wesley sighed. "We also learned of another … development that at first glance doesn't seem to be relevant, but is actually the key to the whole thing."

Connor was afraid that he could guess what Wesley was talking about, but had to hear it anyway. He thought over the day and how the rest of the AI gang had never really left him alone with Cordy, and how Lorne suckered him into acting as his "bodyguard." "What development?"

"Some of it started the night you locked your father in that cage and submersed him in the ocean."

"You did what!?!?!" Faith interjected.

"Not now, Faith, that's been resolved," Wes replied. Turning back to Connor, he continued, "Some of it started before you were born. You are part of it, but you're not responsible for any of it. Of that, I want to reassure you," Wesley added calmly.

"What's going on?" Connor asked, looking at the concerned faces of the adults in the room. His eyes drifted to the face of his father and the weird bowling bag he had.

"What else happened that night you put your father in the ocean?" Wesley prompted.

"Cordelia became a higher-being," Connor answered by rote. Then a flicker of realization dawned. "Cordy?"

"Yes, what we thought was an ascension really wasn't. It was a devious ruse set in place to allow a creature to invade her body and take her over."

"No! That's not true."

Wesley rushed through the rest. "Cordelia's still inside somewhere, but the creature is controlling her body, her thoughts, and her actions. It seduced you, in order to acquire your necessary DNA; it impregnated Cordy; it was the Beast's master; it released Angelus. It has played us all for fools, but you most of all."

"You're lying!!! Cordy's pregnant with my baby. It's not some creature," Connor cried.

Faith embraced the boy. "Come on, kid, think about it. Ain't nothing normal about this. No way are you the kid's father. 'Sides, you and she got it on, what…only a few weeks ago? Angel told me Darla went the whole nine with you. So, you're human; Cordy's half; but whatever that bambino is -- it's full demon. Wasn't much for school, but I know that half demon and full human don't make full demon."

"But it is mine. She said so. She said I was special."

"You are special, Connor," said Wesley. "You're extremely special. Your DNA was key to the start of a ritual, making you the one that is critical to its completion. We think, as evil as this thing is…it would want you to make a blood sacrifice to finalize the birth and welcome the demon into this dimension."

Throughout it all, Lorne was crying; even though none of them were singing, he felt all there emotions. He was drowning in their collective misery, sense of betrayal, and grief. Angel had remained silent; a permanent brood had set in.

"So, it used me…like it's using Cordy?" Connor finally asked after a few moments.

"Yes," Wesley and Faith answered together.

Connor stopped moping, eyes dry, his lips forming a thin line. He stood, looking every bit the poster child for grim determination. "So, what do we have to do?"

******

TBC

A/N: Dialogue used in this chapter taken from "Orpheus," "Players," "Inside Out," and "Peace Out."

Chapter Eight

(Outside, in front of the Hyperion)

"Are we ready to do this?" Faith asked the group. Gathered before her were Wes, Willow, Lorne, Fred, Gunn, a forlorn Connor, and an equally brooding Angel, complete with bowling bag. Grim nods were her only answer. "Does everyone know the plan?"

"I'm not aware of it, but I assume that you will go destroy the lady?" Dracula appeared over Willow's shoulder. Willow gave a shout, then looked embarrassed that she'd reacted in such a manner.

"What are you still doing here?" Faith demanded. "Thought you'd already be making with a nice reunion up in that fancy place you got. Angel told me about it."

Leering, Drac replied, "If you would care to take a tour for yourself, accommodations could be made."

Crossbow aimed directly at Drac's heart, Wesley bit out, "You were told to leave Los Angeles, never to return, and yet, you're here. Tired of your immortality?"

"Not as such, no." Drac turned to Angel and continued, "Originally, I wanted revenge for the disrespect you've shown me, Angelus. Your lady, however, was quite rude. I wash my hands of her." Drac glanced at Faith as he smirked, "She believes her 'Slayer problem' is now one of my concubines."

"Fat chance," Faith snarled.

Dropping his crossbow, Wesley made a small bow to Dracula, head tilted slightly to the right, eyes on the floor and hand over heart. Angel was astonished that Wesley knew the old vampire way of gesturing gratitude and deference. "We thank you for your leniency and understanding in this most difficult time," Wesley proffered.

Faith, Willow and Fred's jaws dropped. Something deep stirred inside Connor; a feeling of familiarity enraptured him. He knew that he knew what it meant, but he didn't understand how. Gunn and Lorne just looked at each other and shrugged. Then Angel followed Wesley's bow, but did not repeat the words.

Faith then broke out of her temporary paralysis and asked, "Why are you thanking him?"

With his left hand, Dracula palmed Wesley's head for a moment then released. "Yes, I see that my estimation of you proved correct. You are not without intelligence." Then quickly, with some distaste, Dracula did the same to Angel. "You finally show respect for your elders. The Powers must be smiling."

Then Dracula vanished.

"I hate when he does that," Angel said.

"OK, what did I miss?" Faith asked.

"He purposely misled Cordelia into thinking you were no longer a threat," replied Wesley.

"Oh."

"Was that who I think it was?" ventured Fred. "I've never seen a vampire go 'poof' like that."

"You get used to it," said Willow. "He did that in Sunnydale last year."

From high on the rooftop of an adjacent building, Dracula watched the group below. He wanted to see how this ended.

**************
(Hyperion - Cordy's room)

It was too quiet. She opened her door to listen better. No sounds. Not even the noises Gunn always made when he cleaned the weapons.

Curious, she decided to walk down to the lobby.

***************
(Hyperion - Lobby)

Fred and Gunn walked into the hotel first. Fred started babbling as loudly as she could in hopes of enticing Cordelia to come downstairs. The plan would be to lure her to the lobby, give her a sense of security, and then Angel would come in, feigning Angelus, and thus cueing Faith and Connor's entrance. Wesley, Willow and Lorne would come in from the garden entrance, thereby surrounding her. Fred just hoped it worked.

"Well, now, you two have been away. What's going on?"

Fred and Gunn were both a little thrown by Cordelia's unexpected presence downstairs. She was sprawled on the center couch, left hand on her stomach, and right hand hidden behind her back. Cordelia looked like the cat that swallowed the canary and then decided to lunch on a few rats. A Cheshire grin was planted on her face, the gleam in her eye unmistakably evil.

"Oh hey, Cordy. We just went to the diner for a bit. I had this weird craving for fries dipped in honey mustard. And you know I love their honey mustard," Fred sputtered.

"Hey, girl. You made it downstairs OK?" Gunn added, and in an attempt to deflect from their absence, he asked, "How's the sp…how's Junior?" Fred hit his arm hard when he almost said "spawn."

Cordelia's eyes narrowed for a bit before she, once again, flashed that eerie smile. "Just great. I think it will be any day now. Sooner than you think."

"That's great, Cordy," Fred said. "So, did you want us to get something for you? Is that why you came down? We really should get cell phones."

"No, that's not why I came down."

Lorne walked in from the back, fiddling with an object in his hand. "Hey there, sugarplums and tall, dark and scrumptious, what's shaking?" Playing his role to perfection, he strolled in front of Cordy, glanced at her briefly and then did the expected double take. "Hold on there, princess, where was I when this happened?"

Cordelia answered, "Since Angelus returned."

"Whoa!" He pocketed his object.

"Yeah, whoa." Cordelia was curious about the object, but she failed to get a good look.

With complete bravado and arrogance, "Angelus" strolled into the lobby. "Ah, Fred, looking delicious as ever." Fred cowered and hid behind Gunn. "Gunn, don't you miss what lies between her thighs? Since you're not enjoying her delights, mind if I take a bite?"

He knew it was just an act, but Gunn was disturbed by how real "Angelus" seemed. Part of him hoped that the Angel he'd spoken with in the street just minutes before wasn't a cruel act by Angelus. Then Gunn reassured himself, recalling that Wesley and that redhead, Willow, had vouched for him. Glowering at "Angelus," he threatened, "You better back yourself on up outta here. I've got a stake with your name on it."

"Really, for me? You shouldn't have."

Cordelia's senses were confusing her. Part of them screamed "soul," but her eyes and ears told her this was her Angelus. Her sweet Angelus.

Turning to Cordelia, Angel put on his best "surprised" expression (which really didn't differ much from his angry, sad, or happy expressions). "My, my, my … Cord-e-lia! My, have you grown." Slapping a hand to his chest, "Wait, don't tell me … I'm gonna be a granddad."

Thrown a little by his behavior, Cordelia placed a protective hand across her stomach and said, "Yes, Connor gifted me with my sweet baby."

Grinning widely, Angel stalked closer to the seated Cordelia. Lowering his voice to a more menacing register, he snarled, "All this time, it was you, wasn't it?"

Cordelia was barely able to suppress a wicked grin. Holding Angel's gaze, she opened her mouth to speak, when Lorne took a Magic 8 Ball out of his pocket and shook it. Addressing the ball, Lorne inquired, "Has Cordy been a bad, bad girl?" He snorted and turned the Magic 8 Ball over, the triangle read, "Definitely." Lorne gave the results out loud.

Just then, Wesley and Willow walked in from the back, and Connor and Faith entered from the front. Wesley had the bowling bag in his right hand that Angel had had earlier. Faith had her left arm wrapped around Connor's shoulders, and Connor was laughing as if Faith had just told him something funny.

Angel watched Cordelia closely as her eyes narrowed first at Lorne, then at Wesley and Willow, and then as they narrowed further into angry slits at the appearance of Connor and Faith. He saw her right bicep tense as if the hand behind her back was holding something.

Cordelia's anger knew no bounds. First, Wesley had dragged Willow here from Sunnydale, probably to attempt to re-ensoul Angelus. The Beastmaster exploited Cordy's memories, and the old wounds from Willow's betrayal by stealing Xander were ripped open anew. Then, to add fuel to the fire, Connor…her Connor, was in the arms of that slut. She wanted to rip their limbs from their bodies and render their remains to dung beetles, preferably while they still were alive.

The distinct impression that she'd been set up was fully realized for the first time in her mind. Before, she'd lived in the land of denial - everything had been going according to her plans. She'd been under the radar, had maintained her cover; but now, examining the faces of those before her had forced her into a reality she wanted no part of. She was so close to the birthing. It had to come to pass. Connor was needed; he couldn't be on Faith's side. And what about Angelus? Was it really him? Why hadn't the others, especially Faith, Connor and Willow, made some sort of move toward him?

And then the words Lorne had spoken just before the arrival of the two twosomes reverberated in her ears. They knew!

Rising carefully with her hand still hiding the dagger behind her, Cordelia prepared to make her retreat. She had to escape and bring forth the birth. It was imperative.

Angel had watched Cordelia very carefully as she took in the arrival of the others. He recognized when she sensed the jig was up. He knew she had to be armed in some way, and even though he didn't want to hurt her, he wouldn't allow her to hurt anyone else.

Connor felt tremendously conflicted, but with Faith keeping hold of his shoulders, he knew he had to maintain his resolve. He loved Cordy, and it hurt him that this thing had used Cordy's body to pretend to have the same feelings for him. He wanted to smash its face in… but it was Cordy… but it wasn't.

"So, you finally figured it out, did you? The great detective. It finally came to your tiny little mind, did it?" Cordy taunted Angel.

"Yes," he answered. "You were the one who killed Manny, killed the only people who were a threat to the Beast, stole the Muo-Ping, called forth the Beast, ordering the ring of fire and the blanketing of the sun," Angel recited.

"All good things," she sighed. "So, what finally tipped you off?"

"The Halloween reject," stated Faith. Cordelia flashed her eyes at the Slayer.

Angel quickly added, "Plus, tongue, slip of."

At that, Cordelia seemed confused. So Angel supplied the answer to his riddle, "'My sweet.' Same phrase the Beastmaster kept using when he was whispering in Angelus's head. Of course, you did it when I was already Angel again. But for the good of the team, I pretended to be my darker self. Thought it was a bit femme for the booming macho act. You did it again earlier… 'my sweet.' But we were already on your trail, with a little outside help."

Cordelia rushed at Angel with a knife, but he grabbed her wrist and averted the stab. "Willow, Wesley, right about now would be good," Angel said, grimacing as he tried to maintain a hold on Cordy.

Faith ran over to help, inadvertently dropping the two purloined chess pieces on the marble floor. Connor moved Fred, Lorne and Gunn out of the way. Willow and Wesley walked forward, with Willow chanting softly. Magically-created wind began whipping through the lobby.

Faith held onto Cordelia's right side, while Angel stayed on the left. Cordelia was thrashing and cursing them all. She spotted Connor and cried, "Connor! How could you let them do this to our baby? Help me, please!" Seeing that Connor didn't budge an inch from his position across the room, Cordy screamed, "Connor!!! You bastard!!! Like father, like son."

Faith punched Cordy. "Hey, Con… that's a good thing."

Angel fussed, "Faith."

"What?" Faith asked, acting all innocent. "She's still awake, no big."

"You bitch!" Cordy spat out some blood from her lip. "Soon all of you will be sorry. My sweet baby will see to that."

"No, I don't think so," Wesley said. He opened the bowling bag and withdrew the head of a demon, bug-like creature whose mouth had been sewn shut.

Cordy eyed the bug, at first not being able to hide her recognition of the creature. Then she tried covering her surprise, cavalierly saying, "What's that supposed to do? Scare me? Please. Just get a can of Raid."

Gunn waved a hand in front of his face, exclaiming, "Damn, Wes, what sewer did you get that out of?"

Wesley glared at Gunn, and Gunn promptly shut up. Willow's eyes turned deep ebony, and black streaks began in her red hair. She stopped chanting long enough to order, "NOW!"

Faith snarked, "Hang on, folks."

Wesley brandished a knife, and Cordy screamed, "NO!"

Both Angel and Wesley said, "Oh, yes." Angel nodded, and Wesley slashed the threads holding the bug's lips closed. A long sound emerged from its lips, and an obsidian aura surrounded Cordelia.

Willow's voice boomed through the lobby. "I shall look upon my enemy. I shall look upon it and the dark place will have it. Corsheth! Take the abomination! Take it NOW!"

An inhuman scream erupted from Cordelia. The obsidian aura quivered, and then suddenly vanished. Cordy collapsed to the floor, taking Angel and Faith with her. Faith released Cordy and rolled her over. Her pregnant belly was no more.

Everyone started to rush toward the three, but Willow ordered them to stop. Holding up her right hand, she commanded, "Reveal!" A white glow surrounded the black queen chess piece. Faith reached for the piece, but before picking it up, she looked toward Willow for assurance. "It's okay," Willow confirmed.

Faith picked up the black queen and remarked, "Check mate!"

***********
(In the Hyperion Garden)

Angel looked out into the last vestiges of the night, awaiting the sunrise. Faith approached him and leaned on a rail.

"Hey. That was…something," Faith understated.

"That about sums it up."

"Yep."

"And now you're going to Sunnydale."

"I think I prefer to stay, but the way Willow talks it up, that's where I'm needed."

"Never stop fighting," he told her as he leaned on the rail beside her.

"Hey, I was gonna, but someone got all pep-talky on me."

"I have a lot to thank you for."

"Well, that vice is plenty versa. I even start, it's only gonna lead to hugging, and…" She shrugged and smiled.

Angel mimicked her, and then he said, straight-faced, "Right. We can't have that."

"No."

"She's gonna be okay, you know."

"I know."

Together, they walked inside and saw Connor sitting on a couch, with Gunn and Wesley standing together at the front desk.

Faith plopped down beside Connor. "So."

"So."

"Gotta stop leaving your right open when you cross."

"I do not," Connor protested.

Faith held her hands up in mock defense. "I'm just saying. Auntie Faith's got your six." Ruffling his hair, she added, "Punk."

"Cool." And for the first time since he'd discovered that Faith had killed the Beast, Connor smiled.

Faith pinched his cheek. "So cute. Don't raise too much hell, or I'll spank ya."

Smirking, Connor sassed, "Promise?" Faith laughed.

Gunn asked, "You headed out?"

"Yeah; no tears, big guy." Faith shared a high-five with Gunn.

"Nah, I'm good. I just wish I could've seen the beat down you gave the Beast yesterday."

"I was pretty sweet," she smirked. "Wes."

"Faith," Wes responded.

"See. Brits know how to say goodbye. Angel here wanted a hug," Faith teased.

"No, I didn't," denied an embarrassed Angel.

"Been a good show."

Gunn agreed, "Yeah, sit back and let the girl and the witch do all the heavy lifting."

"That's pretty much it," Wesley concurred.

"So, sugar, let's do lunch next time you're in town. We'll chat, nosh, and I'll get you to sing for me," proposed Lorne.

Faith walked up to Lorne, placed a hand on his shoulder and said, "I think I'll miss you most of all, Mean Green."

Fred walked out of the office with Willow. Willow was holding a book. Fred was rambling. "I think that volume's outdated. You'd know better than me, but there's some interesting stuff about hellmouths. Might help."

"This is great."

Going into extra smiley mode, Fred continued, "I have to say, someday, I'd love to bend your ear about the Pergamum Codex. I - I think some of the really obscure passages are actually Latin translated from a demonic tongue, and they're kind of a hoot." Giggling, she continued, "All this stuff about Bacchanals and spells and - actually, I think it's probably funnier in Latin. You know how that is sometimes."

Willow gave her a slightly sheepish look, and said, apologetically, "I'm seeing someone." Fred looked confused as Willow walked ahead of her.

Faith noticed Willow. "Time goes by, Will."

"OK. Good. Wagons west. See you guys."

"Willow…" Angel stopped in mid-thought.

Faith interjected and teased, "He's going to tell you how much he owes you."

"Aw, don't mention it. I got a slayer out of the deal, so we're even-steven." Hugging Angel, Willow whispered, "I'll tell Buffy you said hi."

"Good. Thanks."

As the Sunnydale-bound started to walk out the door, Willow stopped and turned back to the AI gang. "Oh, um, next time you guys resurrect Angelus, call me first, OK? Or before you decide to take on any other ex-higher beings."

Faith smirked, "Same goes for me."

Then Faith and Willow walked out to Willow's car. "Umm, Willow?"

"Yeah?"

"I'll just be a sec," Faith said as she crossed the street and entered the alley. Falling slave to her curiosity, Willow trailed behind her. When she entered the alley, she saw Faith holding some caped guy against the wall.

"I thought we told you to leave," Faith snarled. Then, as an odd, strong wind blew into the alley, she staked the vampire, and its dust was caught in the wind and scattered about the city.

"Was that who I thought it was?" Willow asked.

"Nah, just another wannabe."

"We good?"

"Yeah, it's five by five."

The End


BACK