Thank You
by Oracleholly


Rating: PG
Pairing: Spike/Tara (friendship)
Spoilers: BTVS: S5: Family
Disclaimer: The usual - I don't own, blah…blah…blah…no profit…blah…blah…blah…Joss is God…blah…blah…blah. Enjoy!
Distribution: This was made for the Summer of Spike LJ Community, if any site owner wishes to add this to their archives, please contact me.

A/N: Thank you to Erin aka Blacknblue2 for being a great beta; also to Slaymesoftly for the read through. I so do appreciate it.

Summary: Begins after the events in 'Family', Spike and Tara have a moment.

****

Spike paced outside the back alley entrance to the Magic Box rethinking what had just transpired, a lit cigarette poised between his lips. Why had he done it? He had come to enjoy the show. The Slayer helpless, he welcomed her death - had wanted it before he even knew who she was. She didn't even thank him for helping her in the training room. And why did he save her again? Soddin' dream.

Blowing out a stream of smoke, he tipped the cigarette to the side, relieving it of its ash. But he hadn't stopped there, now had he? Oh no, he had to go into the main room and see the Lei-Achs attacking all the Scoobies. Not that he minded that. None of them appeared to see the demons or where the attacks were coming from. Then suddenly, he heard stuttering and the blinding spell was lifted. Still no thank you to ol' Spike.

Then, the blonde witch's family had entered the shop. In the old days, he would have made her father a minion - reeked of evil that one. The brother, though, was only a meal. The gentle, soft-spoken witch had been convinced that she was a demon. Couldn't they all see; she was the purest of the lot?

The Scoobies all thought him incredibly daft, but all of them stood there accepting the lies that tosser proffered. The blonde witch stood there, absorbing the venomous words. Her nature reminded him too much of his mum, and - if he was one for self-reflection, which he wasn't - she reminded him of the ponce he'd been as a human.

The wanker wanted to take Tara back with him, so he could further subjugate her. Then the Slayer claimed her as family - one of them - then Nibblet did the same. Bugger all. He had stated that he didn't care what happened, but that wasn't exactly true. Suddenly, he comprehended everything. Stepping forward he risked the blinding pain to hit the bird in the nose.

The others had been too blinkered to understand what he had proven. But, Red - smart girl - realized, and the witches' relief was palpable. He didn't care that Red was thrilled; all that mattered was the blonde witch. Still, no thank you - no, good show. None of the 'white-hats' would deign to thank the likes of him.

The back door to the Magic Box slowly opened, and he stopped pacing, taking to the shadows. The soft, round face of Glinda appeared in the doorway. She tentatively looked around, uncertainty plain on her features. "Spike? Are you still out here?" she asked the dark alley.

Surprised that she was asking for him, but curious to see what she wanted, Spike stepped forward, revealing himself to her. He didn't say anything and waited a moment for her to see him. When Tara did, she actually gave him a smile.

Spike watched as Tara walked toward him; he smelled nervousness, but very little fear. She wasn't afraid of him? She stopped at a careful, but still close distance in front of him, still smiling.

"Sp…Sp…Spike, thank you." She stuttered. Her nose appeared still a little red, from his light punch. "Are you…okay?" Tara rubbed her right hand on her nose.

Thankfully, he had the cigarette in his mouth to cover being completely gobsmacked from her question. Glinda, an actual Scooby, was asking the Big Bad if he was okay. Taking the fag out of his mouth, he carefully blew smoke away from her face. Spike's features softened, "Yeah, Glinda. Head's still a tad sore, but vampire healing, pet - don't have to worry 'bout me. How's your nose?"

"Still sore." Tara had visibly relaxed, and Spike noticed her stutter almost non-existent. "Spike? Why did you… with the punch? I… I mean you didn't have to."

The question made him uncomfortable. How could he answer her when he didn't know the reason himself? Yet, Tara had been the only one, except maybe Nibblet, who treated him half decent after he was chipped. So he shrugged, and instead of answering her question, he changed the subject. "You ran from them, didn't you?"

The change of direction threw her a bit. Haunted eyes gazed into his own. "Yeah."

"Good for you, Glinda."

"So… Glinda, huh."

"What's that pet?"

"A name. Glinda. You've been calling me that." Her smile was enigmatic. He found himself grinning in response. "I like it."

"Ta, luv. It fits."

"Well, again, thank you, Spike." With that said, Tara turned and went back inside, back to Red and the rest of the Scoobies.

To the now empty alley - save him - he whispered in reply. "You're welcome… Tara."


The End

Back