At the Sharp End

 

His wrist was aching from wielding one of the swords they had been sent to retrieve. He swung at his attacker and watched in satisfaction as the sword cut through the layers of goo and severed the demon’s arm. An enraged roar filled the sewer as the beast clutched at his stump and span to face Wesley, reaching down and picking up his arm, preparing to club the Englishman to death with it.

Wesley ignored the danger as his eyes were drawn to the pale mystical glow that emanated from his sword’s blade. His blue eyes took on a dreamy fascinated quality, one that all his friends and colleagues recognised as ‘I wish I had my books here as this is fascinating.’

“Quite magnificent,” he whispered. His attention focused on the blade he was entirely oblivious to the fight around him and the incipient danger he was in from a amputated arm. Instead his mind was filled with information about the swords and their origins.

The enchanted blades of Iiliard, all four of them having powers for good, which had until a few days ago been used by the Druidic Eistied clan to the North of Los Angeles, but they had been stolen by the demon that they were currently fighting. Great drops of sweat were trickling down his back and he wondered just how on earth he’d gotten into this. One minute he’d been reading a good book and now he was waist deep in sewer water and fighting off what could only be described as a Killer Snot Demon. Oh right, they couldn’t allow these mystical blades to be used for ill – it was wrong.

“English duck!” Gunn called out as he swung his sword. He managed to chop the arm in half as he wielded his sword with a grin.

‘Duck?' Wesley looked down and the filthy water with goodness knows what floating in it and frowned. There was absolutely no way he was putting his face in, "Urk!" He suddenly fell face forward as Angel pushed him firmly in the back. ‘Oh god this is disgusting…’

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Get the hell away from here! Go and shower all of you, oh my god, you guys stink!” Cordelia held a file up in front of her defensively as she examined the three soaked men who were pushing their way through the door and into the foyer. She wrinkled her nose at them. “Oh my god I can smell you from here! What is this? A new beauty regime? Face pack de poop with a deep tissue massage using sewer water scented oil. ICK!” she pointed imperiously to the stairs. “Go get clean and make sure you burn your clothes you guys, cos those are stains that no dry cleaner will ever get out!”

Wesley, Gunn and Angel all sheepishly nodded and crept around Cordelia and slunk upstairs to freshen up.

“Wait, did you find them?”

Her question was greeted with a series of grunts and nods as they trudged upstairs for much needed showers.

~~~~~~~~~

Wesley watched as Angel oiled the last of the four swords carefully and laid it out on the desk in front of him. Each one of the hilts was decorated with precious stones – opals on one, Rubies on another and sapphires and emeralds of the final two.

“They are gorgeous,” Cordelia breathed as she ran an appreciative finger along the edge of one. The metal had an iridescent glow to it; they lay there shimmering in the artificial light. “God those druids know a thing or two about making weapons all pretty.”

“Indeed, and they all seem to be in excellent condition.” Wesley picked the one with opals on its hilt up and checked the balance of the blade. “Superbly made, they are pure perfection.” All four members of Angel Investigation were seated around the desk absorbed in the Eistied blades, unaware of the danger behind them.

“And extremely powerful in the right hands,” Lilah’s voice was the last thing any of them heard as darkness clouded their vision.

 



Review me!