The Harvest

 

Wesley stared around the farm in bewilderment, it was all gone. One minute there had been a thriving farm and now nothing. It was as if the hand of god had come down and wiped the slate clean - a religious form of a plague of locusts. But it hadn’t been, they had done it, so quickly and efficiently that it chilled him to the marrow, thanks to the slender Texan standing next to him. She had worked around the clock to develop a mystical type of insecticide that would not have any long term effects on the land.  

And she had. 

“Come on let’s go home,” Fred plucked at his sleeve and gestured to the others who were piling into the car. “We’ve done all we could. The crops were too tainted to save. They had to be burned. Anyone who ate it would’ve suffered so badly… and died. We couldn’t let that happen – no one would’ve wanted that.” She rubbed tiredly at her face, unaware of the smudge of dirt she smeared across her nose.  

“But what about the land?” Wesley whispered, still in shock at the quick decimation of all the wheat and greenery. 

“We will tend it and it will recover my oath on this.” The leader of the Brownies who had contacted AI Investigations earlier in the week stepped forward, cap in hand. His elfin face nut brown and creased, his slightly pointed ears drooped sadly at the sight of devastation all around him. His kind usually were the ones who worked the land and hearth, tending to all the produce and ensuring a good harvest. Now they were greeted with devastation. All because a Vorash demon had decided to make a nest under the crop and lay her eggs, her presence had tainted the wheat crop to the point of no return. Her breath and that of her young had poisoned the roots of the crop.  

When AI had arrived to have a look around the crop was limp and ruined. It had taken Angel falling down a sink hole to discover what exactly had been going on and fighting and killing the nesting demon and her young. Wesley tried not to giggle at the memory of the usually immaculate vampire up to his neck in mud and cursing a blue streak as he was sucked under. Up until then all five of them had been moving from farm to farm trying to source the contagion.  

Wesley had been impressed with the enterprise of the Brownies in the small community hidden away from mortal eyes behind a simple glamour. They did what they did best, planting, growing and working the land. The small people’s energy and enterprise had been a pleasant surprise, a contrast from LA where all that he witnessed mystically was evil, death and pain. Here the magicks were pure and good and worked to benefit mankind and the land. It had been salve for his battered psyche, something he would take back with him to keep the darkness at bay. He felt that was why he was reacting so badly to the destruction of the Brownies hard work and the land.  

“I really am so very sorry…” He knelt down and took one of the Brownie’s long fingered hands and squeezed it apologetically. “What can I do to help?”  

“There is nothing to be done, but let Mother Nature work her will, everything will be put to rights she is powerful, but thank you.” The wizened elf patted Wesley’s hand and gave him a small smile. 

“Wes come on I want to get back home, there is a sale on at Neimans I sooo don’t wanna miss!” Cordelia’s voice broke the silent communion between the mortal and the elf.  

Wesley pulled a face, “I’m terribly sorry about that,” he sighed and looked over his shoulder. “Truly she can be the most…” 

“Annoying, unsympathetic person?” Fred whispered and then blushed bright red and slapped a hand over her mouth. Shame filled her for betraying her only female friend. But then again sometimes Cordelia just didn’t have a sensitive bone in her body, especially when it came to a bargain and designer clothes. 

The lead Brownie looked over at Cordelia and frowned, “she is not what she seems, be careful with that one.”  

Wesley looked over at the Cordelia and wondered what had changed since her return to earth and her recovering her memory. 

Only time would tell.

 



Review me!