Testament Series

by Schehrezade

 

Pairing: Wes on his lonesome
Rating: R
Summary: A series of letter from Wes to various people. All the letters are written by our man during the final season of ATS
Disclaimer: Wes isn't mine - though it's been fun playing with him!!

Testament I

Dear Rupert,

It is with a slight trepidation that I put pen to paper, as I am hesitant to add to your workload. But I have some news and also would be interested in hearing from you in reference to the final moments in Sunnydale. Angel has been-- as usual-- particularly closed mouthed about his visit. It was only in the last day that I discovered he had been to visit Buffy. More on this later, though.

I imagine that you are heavily involved in salvaging the remnants of the Council and supervising all the newly called Slayers that have been popping up all over the world. I would be interested in hearing about the Slayer phenomenon if you have time?

It is an unprecedented and exciting situation that you must be finding yourself in. Travers often complained about the aberrance of having two Slayers fighting the good fight and felt that there may have been an imbalance created by Kendra-- and then Faith-- being called after Buffy's first brush with death. Personally, I always felt the more Champions for good the better, as did many others of our now deceased fellow Watchers. It is hard to believe that so many have gone, people we trained with and also worked side by side with. And on occasion against, such as the team of thugs that Travers sent to 'retrieve' her after she first awoke from her coma.

I still cannot begin to understand the loss of so many human lives; the impact on all their friends and families must be colossal.

I imagine you have lots of ideas on where to escape the narrow-minded confines of Travers's thinking and ensure that the Slayers and their welfare are placed first? Have you tried contacting any of the other families? Surely some of the Council survived? I suppose you are hesitant in doing so - a call to arms after such a devastating attack would no doubt cause the few of the surviving trained Watchers and their families’ distress?

I find it a strange new world that we are living in - the effect of The First's campaign has left many scars on our lives, ones that I fear we will carry for ever. So many fallen friends and co-workers - I find it very hard to accept that they are all gone. And in such a cowardly way - a bomb, truly terrifying and it makes us all feel so vulnerable. Something that I have recently been victim to myself - I was shot by the reanimated corpse of a policeman. Fortunately, I recovered, unlike our fellow friends and co-workers.

We have all been trained to be on guard against mystical attacks-- who would ever have imagined that the forces of Darkness would resort to using mortal weapons? And so effectively.

In all honesty, I doubt any of them considered the more mundane ways of being attacked. A bomb! To this day I am stunned at the way they were all killed in one stroke. A small part of me also laments the loss of all the resources the Council had at its command. If there is anything I can do to assist in sourcing lost tomes of reference, please contact me. Recently I have come into possession of some wonderful texts and have the resources to purchase anything that may be of assistance. Please don't hesitate to ask, Rupert.

I must say, we are all curious about the way in which Willow called all the Potentials during your final fight in the Hellmouth. If you have time, I would be fascinated to hear about how she managed it - her last visit to LA was a revelation. Her powers have increased exponentially, truly amazing. She mentioned also having succumbed to the darker elements of magic - I trust that Ms Rosenberg has managed to avoid the more evil aspects of the magical world? This must have been a strain for you? Sorry, I have managed to move away from the crux of this missive.

There is no easy way to couch this in gentle terms, but I felt you should know. From what I understand, he fought side by side with Buffy and the others for a good few years. No, Angel was not the one to tell us this, unfortunately Spike is particularly verbose and we are often regaled with his adventures. I find it all fascinating.

I digress.

Giles… William the Bloody is back. I believe he goes by the moniker, Spike? I imagine that this news is something of a shock?

Envisage our surprise when he appeared in Angel's office. It was all very odd; Angel opened an envelope and a rather gaudy amulet fell out. A strange cloud swirled out of it and slowly Spike's body reformed. I must say he does shout rather loudly…he maintains that he wasn't screaming like a child, though I have to say it did sound suspiciously like a scream to me. The entire process looked extremely painful - he reformed from a molecular level. I have to say I was disappointed that Angel had not informed us of Spike's involvement in our cause and that he also sought out and won his soul. Which is a marvellous achievement for a demon, don't you think? I wish that I had been there when he had returned. Did you assist him on his difficult journey?

Spike immediately launched himself at Angel - there appears to be some tremendous animosity on both their sides, doesn't there? However, to his and our shock, Spike passed straight through Angel and landed up standing inside Angel's desk. It appears that he is incorporeal, and another side effect is that he is bound to LA in some mystical way. He did attempt to leave but was returned to the building in which we now work. I hesitate to mention where we work as I fear you may judge us harshly. If you wish to know, please contact me and I shall endeavour to explain our reasons for being where we are now.

As for Spike's unfortunate situation, one of our associates-- a Ms.Burkle -is a supremely talented scientist and she is working on establishing why Spike is in the state he is. She is also trying to find a way to return him to a solid form, though this is probably going to take some time, as we have no idea how to address the problem. So for now, Spike is an unwilling guest with us. He really does delight in tormenting Angel, doesn't he?

And he can be quite prickly and defensive, can't he?

Spike did tell us of his sacrifice during the final battle with the Turok
Han, the sealing of the Hellmouth and the restoration of the balance. A truly heroic achievement for one of the Scourges of Europe; we truly are fortunate to have individuals such as Spike and Angel fighting the good fight!

Has the First truly gone into hiding? I wonder, as we both know that there is good and evil in us all. However, I have to ask, did you document anything about the Turok Han? I can't believe that these demons exist. I had thought-- as did many others-- that they were mythical. But then again, we are surrounded by mythical beings and demons on a daily basis - why should I be so surprised, I ask myself.

I felt it was essential that you heard of Spike's return and the current circumstances of his 'health'. His first questions were about Buffy-- he was concerned about her. Angel was extremely vague to Spike about Buffy and her whereabouts and whether she was well or not. I sensed a note of rivalry between them over Buffy. Were Spike and Buffy friends as well as fighting together? Anyway, if you could, would you please inform Buffy about Spike's return? I have included a note for her - I wasn't able to glean her address from Angel so I hope you can forward this to her?

I will keep you posted on Spike's circumstances when time permits and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce


Giles sat back at his desk and sighed, the letter for Buffy rested under his fingers as he considered his options.

With a sigh he opened it and began reading, a frown furrowing his brow as the contents were quickly absorbed.

Without hesitation he screwed it up and tossed it into the trashcan...


Dear Buffy,

I have sent a letter to Giles, with this note included within it. I do hope that he forwards this to you. I imagine you are surprised to hear from me? Seeing that the last time you saw me was quite a long time ago. I know that we have never been close and my tenure as your Watcher was nothing if not a debacle. But a lot has happened since those rather green days - I have seen and fought so many beings that it has had an impact on me. Hopefully for the good. I do apologise for much of my behaviour during your last year in High School - I wish I had done so many things differently.

I do hope that you and your sister are well and are adjusting to a life away from the Hellmouth. It must be very liberating not to have to patrol the cemeteries nightly in Sunnydale? Have you returned to your studies? Is Dawn enjoying Europe?

Angel mentioned briefly that you and your sister were travelling on the Continent - have you managed to take in all the sights and museums? It must be wonderful for you both to have the time to do so. I envy you - the road that we have chosen to take in our lives-- fighting against the forces of Darkness-- usually dominates all aspects of our day-to-day living. Often to the detriment of the more 'normal' things that life and the world offers. It is good that you have a chance to see what you have been fighting for all these years. I imagine it gave you a great deal of pleasure to see what and whom you are fighting for?

I do hope that you find the time to write to me, I apologise for all the questions but would be interested to hear from you and hear about your experiences.

Life has been busy here in LA - there is some sad news that I do need to impart to you. I wish that I wasn't the bearer of such bad news - sadly, Cordelia Chase has fallen into a coma. I know that the two of you knew each other and that she tried to help in your Slaying on occasion at Sunnydale High, and I felt that it was important that you knew her current circumstances.

Quite frighteningly she was taken over by a rather destructive individual called Jasmine, who has, I promise, been dealt with. But unhappily, Cordelia didn't recover, much to all our mutual despair. I assure you that the best doctors we can locate are tending too her. We are all hopeful that she will awaken, however, in all honesty, it has been a long while. I will contact you with any news about her and we all hope that she will return to us soon.

I do have some rather interesting and, I hope, happy news? It occurred the other day - we were in a meeting and Angel opened an envelope addressed to him and something quiet surprising happened. An amulet, which I believe Angel gave you on his last visit to Sunnydale, fell out and, well, I have no idea how to put this in gentle terms - Spike is back. It was a rather surprising course of events. A cloud of dust and light whirled out of the charm and slowly a form began to appear. And then Spike was standing there, shouting his head off.

I wish there was an easier way to tell you this, but he appears to be a ghost. He is unable to touch anything and has developed the rather annoying habit of walking through walls and doors into our offices. Was he always this garrulous?

I understand that this is probably quite a shock for you? But in our line of work we should expect the unexpected - and as you know from personal experience, individuals can come back from death. I apologise if the last sentence sounded flippant, but I am at a loss as to what to write.

However, if you wish to contact me and discuss this latest turn of events, I have included my home and mobile numbers for you. If you are interested in talking to Spike, I am sure that I can arrange for you and he to speak to each other - maybe with a conference call? Technology is really quite amazing.

I look forward to hearing from you and about your more recent adventures

All the best,

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce

 

Testament II

Dearest Mother,  

I apologise for the lack of news recently. Life has taken some interesting turns of late; I don't imagine that father will be impressed with my news but I am hopeful that the choices we have made will result in some good being achieved. I have decided to put pen to paper, rather than call you about the recent events that have occurred. But more of this in a moment.  

Where to begin??  

Firstly, I wanted to say how very sorry I am about the recent tragic events - I know that both you and father lost a great many dear friends and associates. I imagine everything has been a terrible shock. I'm very sorry; I know that you were close with many of the wives and have probably been very busy helping them through their grief.  

Have you heard from Robson's family? I heard that he had survived an attack and was wondering if he has recovered from his ordeal. Can you send my best to Amy and his children? I sadly don't have his contact numbers. If you have the time then please could you forward them to me?  

I'm hesitant to contact any of the families because of my parting of ways with the Council; I know many people still do not hold me in very high regard as a result of my choosing to work with Angel. But that is an old argument, which I am positive neither of us can face in this time of sorrow.  

I imagine you are wondering why I am writing to you? I know that we have not been in contact with each other as much as I would have liked. But something has happened and I needed to contact you. As I mentioned earlier - I have been working with Angel for several years and recently we took on a new position, within a company called Wolfram and Hart. Yes, mother, I know that they are the representatives of evil in this dimension. But we defeated their LA branch and in turn the company ceded it to us to do with as we wish.  

So, we have taken possession and are striving from within to destroy the company and their demonic clients. There is a wealth of knowledge and tremendous means for us to use to help in our fight against all the things that go bump in the night. There are a series of books that are of outstanding value. I wish you could see them!  

I'm sure you will have much to say on the subject and will no doubt be airing your views very soon. But there is something vitally important that I have to impart to you.  

Something happened here recently - and I am at a loss. Mother, I really don't know how to put it into words, but I will try.  

Father was here - and yes, mother, I know it wasn't him. But at the time I was positive it was. He knew everything about me - intimate details which only he and I knew. I was convinced it was he - the way he looked, spoke, smelled and behaved-- it was father. This impostor took all of us in; it was chilling and very nearly caused the death of someone I hold very dear to my heart. This cyborg was using me to get his hands on the means to control Angel for his organisation's no doubt murky intentions.  

I was fortunately able to prevent either of these tragic events from happening - but it was in a way which I abhorred and am stilling feeling more than a little off kilter.  

I know that neither you nor father appreciate me showing any form of 'weakness' but I have had to do something repugnant to my nature - kill a human.  

I had to shoot father - and up until the moment I shot him I was positive that he was father, right up to the moment I squeezed the trigger. Part of me was just positive and yet still I managed to kill him.  

Mother, I am at a loss - it was possibly the most appalling thing I have ever had to do in my life. As you intimately know, father and I have never been close all those years where he tormented me for my supposed failures. Not to mention the cupboard and how fond father was for using it as 'punishment' for all my sins... But lets not reopen old wounds.  

I just needed to contact you to try and put into words what has happened and how I feel - I think I have failed miserably though.  

I know what you are thinking; I deserve it for aligning myself with Angel and also now with Wolfram and Hart. But mother, I assure you that we have entered the company with open eyes and are determined to work from within to make a difference.  

We have high hopes of succeeding and I will keep you informed about our progress. And no, mother, I am not being punished because of joining W & H by having to shoot a simulacrum of my father. It was a series of unconnected events.  

Though, I have to say I have real concerns as to how whoever created this machine managed to get so much information about our family and the inner workings of the Council.  

Has father been away for any unexplained reasons? Has he had any memory loss? Have you noticed anything different about him? I am very concerned about you and he – please, if anything out of the norm has occurred contact me or at least someone you trust, who can help you. I know we haven't spoken for so long - in fact, on writing this I realised that it would be an idea to call you as soon as possible.  

I am planning to come home for a visit; I hope it will be all right to stay in my old room? I have the tickets booked and will send you the details of my itinerary. It shall be good to see you mother and to have a rest from all the insanity of my life in LA.  

Your loving son ,  

Wesley

 

The middle-aged woman carefully folded the letter and replaced it in the envelope. Reaching for the telephone she rang her son.  

"Come home my boy, come home." A sad smile lingered on her lips as she heard Wesley's voice

 

Testament III  

Dear Mr & Mrs Chase,

I found your address in Cordelia's address book. There was no telephone number so I have decided to write to you. I do hope the address is up to date as I know you haven't been in contact with your daughter for the last few years. It is a shame that you didn't as she developed into a wonderful woman.

It is with great regret that I write you this news. Sadly Cordelia passed away two days ago. It was something that we were --unhappily-- waiting for.

She had been injured badly a while back and had lapsed into a coma. Please let me assure you that she received only the best medical care and was extremely comfortable in her last days. She was not in any pain or discomfort.

I imagine that this is devastating news for you to hear from a stranger, but let me assure you that Cordy and I were dear friends and have known each other for many years. So please take comfort in this. I knew her so well and hence why I am contacting you with this terrible news. Much better than a government official or a stranger who didn't know what an astonishing woman your daughter was.

She and I first came in contact with each other when I was working in Sunnydale. From the moment I met your daughter, I realised what a lovely girl she was, so full of charm and a sharp wit. It was a brief friendship at best in Sunnydale as I was only in town on business for a short time.

It was in Los Angeles a year later, where we made contact again. We worked together in a detective agency. Cordelia temped there whilst trying to establish herself in the film industry. I understand that at this time you and your wife were in dire straits and were unavailable to assist her in the difficult transition from High School and the adult world.

I would like to tell you that Cordy managed to create a new life for herself, and was a success. I am sure that you would been so proud of her.

I am unsure as to how much of her recent life you were aware of? She did have a modicum of success as an actress, but rapidly became more involved in helping our clients. Many of them were in a difficult place in their lives and Cordelia was able on many occasions to help them, and to create a safer environment for them to live in. In a way you could say she saved lives and made a difference in this harsh world. Cordelia did this and more and always with that irrepressible smile of hers on her face!

She became the heart of our company and was the glue that held us all together. I cannot tell you how much Cordelia will be missed by us all. In a sense, we were each other's family. Over the years I watched her develop into the warm and generous woman that she became; you would have been so proud of her. All of our lives were greatly enriched by knowing Cordelia. I wish with all my heart that she had been with us for many more years, her absence from our lives has left a gaping wound. All I can take comfort in is that I knew her as a friend and a colleague.

Angel, Gunn, Fred and I who worked with Cordy and were also her closest friends, we all loved her - and to have her taken away from us in such a senseless way is devastating.

All of us are mourning her loss; it has left a gaping hole in our family. If you wish to contact any of us to talk about Cordelia, please do so - I have included all our numbers. Sadly, Angel may find it very difficult to talk about her as they had become extremely close. I believe that they loved each other very deeply. Unfortunately time and circumstances didn't allow for them to investigate their burgeoning relationship. So, if you do contact him, please bear this in mind? He is particularly fragile at the moment and is prone to lapses of silence and anger for losing her in such a way. As for the others and myself, we would be more equipped answer any questions you may have.

Please accept my deepest condolences on your tragic loss - she will be deeply missed by us all.


Yours truly,

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce




Dear Mr and Mrs Burkle,

I hate to write this and I detest that I have to let the dark world in which we have been entrapped touch your lives. I have very little time and I wish I had more of it to break this gently to you both.

As you have probably realised the above something terrible has happened.

Fred has passed away. I am sorry to be the one to write and inform you of this. So much has happened since you were in LA with us. And most of the news is not good.

You are two of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in my life; your kindness and love for Fred has been a delight, not just to myself, but also for all the others. It offered us all hope that there were parents in this world who did indeed love their children-- something which none of us have experienced. So it is with great regret that I have to write to you with this news.

However, I have no choice as I doubt there will be anyone left to contact you in a few hours. We are about to go into a battle that I am positive none of us will survive. But just in case this doesn't occur, I need to warn you both. If anyone comes to Texas looking for you and resembling Fred, turn her away from the door! It is not your daughter - it is the monster that destroyed her. You met her on your last visit; I am sorry to say I allowed for this to happen. It is something I deeply regret allowing to occur.

Please know that it was not through malice or anything so unkind, it was that I just didn't know how to tell you - to explain to you that Fred was no more. I had barely begun to accept it myself, and to attempt to vocalise it would have destroyed me even more - not that there is much left of my heart and soul to do so.

She asked for me to tell you that she was brave and wasn't scared at the end. I believe she wasn't scared and Winifred was terribly brave during the entire ordeal. I am sorry if I am not breaking this to you gently, but I'm at my wits end. So much has happened and I have lost so many friends - Cordelia passed away a few weeks ago and we were still recovering from her loss when Fred was torn from us.

Fred was a determined young lady as you both well know, and she decided to join us in our fight against the evils of this world. Now I wish she had never returned to the hotel that night when you first came to collect her and take her home all those years ago.

If she had, she would still be alive and well. I'm a fool for wishing this - there are so many things I dreamt of changing. My greatest sorrow is that Fred and I were only just beginning a relationship. Something that I had hoped for from the moment we met. I hesitate to tell you all this, but I wanted you to know - we loved each other very much and now she is gone and I am all alone. Without her my life has no meaning.

Every day since she has gone, a part of me has perished.

It was something supernatural that ripped her away from this world; I blame myself for this. I should have been there and protected her from the goddess that took over her body. I am completely at a loss as to how to apologise for my failure to protect Fred, to save her. I'm so very sorry, please forgive me.

Angel, Spike and I all fought desperately to save Fred once the 'infection' occurred - sadly we failed. Angel and Spike flew to England and managed to ascertain what had occurred; there was a cure but only if at the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of humans. Something that they grudgingly realised Fred would never tolerate. I searched through all the books and prophesies I could find to avert this, but to no avail.

I held her in my arms as she passed away - Fred was surrounded by love, please be assured of this. All of us loved her, some as a friend, others as a sister and I as the woman I loved. I know you weren't aware of this; our relationship was new and one that I will treasure forever.

She completed me.

If you are reading this letter then I have died and have hopefully rejoined Fred in the afterlife, if there is indeed such a place. I had left this letter along with instructions for Fred's possessions to be returned to you in the event of my not returning from this battle.

Please accept my deepest apologies for hiding behind a letter and not calling you, but I couldn't bear to tell you over the phone. Fred deserved more than that. I wish I could do more but time has run out for me. I have to go - Angel is relying on me to help him defeat some of the architects of Fred's demise and the corruption of our team. Rest assured the insidious individual that unleashed the infection was brought to justice for what he did to Fred and all of us. Now we go to face the others and try to make a difference-- for Fred and Cordy.

Something that I am determined to do, I will do my best I promise.

With deepest sympathies,

Wesley

 

Testament IV  

Father,

I know you are not one for sentiment so I will be brief.

If you are reading this then I am dead. Please tell mother I love her and not to mourn me too deeply. In reality I have been dead since Winifred died; I have merely existed since then.

I know I was a great disappointment to you - being in your opinion a less than stellar Watcher, what with the Council letting me go and the final insult, working for a vampire. As I have often told you, Angel is no ordinary vampire. He has a soul! But it appears he was not as unique as I originally assumed. His GrandChilde also is ensouled and by choice, not as a result of a curse.

Something you would find quite interesting - I did mention all this to mother when I came over to England on my last visit. It was a pity you were busy and unable to come home for the brief time I was there.

However, I did spend a nice few days with Mother catching up - did she mention any of the news I imparted? Well, I guess it doesn't really matter now.

Father, I want to say that I have made mistakes in my life, as have you - but I am proud of what I have achieved. I believe I made a difference and in time I hope that you will think so as well. Some of the paths I have chosen in my life have resulted in great sadness, but also have brought me great happiness.

I leave it with a few regrets: one, that you and I never had the relationship that I hoped for, and the other for the loss of the woman I loved-- Fred. Something I have not recovered from, but now it doesn't matter, as it will be all over soon and I will be at peace either way. If I survive it will be because I made a difference in the good fight, and if I die then I will be able to rest. Maybe my death fighting against evil will exacerbate some, if not all the disappointment you seem to feel towards me?

I'm so tired, so very tired and angry at the hand that fate dealt Fred and I. I know a show of emotion is something you find distasteful, but at this point I really am past caring. But father, please know that despite all that has passed between us, I do hope you know I cared for you and Mother.

I will leave this with my effects and instructions for them and this missive to be sent to you in the event of my death.

I wish you and mother all my fondest love and hope that your lives will be full and happy.

Your Son

Wesley

 

Testament V  

From: M.E. Mortuary Ltd.

For the Attention of Mr Wyndam-Pryce.

The final arrangements have been made for the return of your son's body to the United Kingdom. His remains will be arriving at London Heathrow on Flight BA 314 at 16.00pm.

All the relevant paperwork you will need to collect your Mr W Wyndam-Pryce's coffin are enclosed.

If I or any of my associates can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Allow us to offer our condolences to you both on the passing of your son.

We are deeply sorry for you loss.

Yours Sincerely


J Whedon
 

 

Review