"Job Offer"

Author: Laure Alexander
Email: laurealexander@hotmail.com
Dedication: To Jenni who came up with the basic idea. Sorry it just got kind of angsty and didn't go anywhere, but I've left it open for anyone to continue.


"I need the money, Spike. It's either this or lose the house."

"I told you I'd get you money."

"Yeah? By selling baby demons?" Buffy asked pointedly.

Spike had the grace to lower his eyes as he dropped easily down on the couch to watch her continue to pack.

Neatly folding one of her most conservative skirts, Buffy ignored her trembling hands and placed the garment in her suitcase. She wasn't looking forward to this trip.

"You're not meant for England, luv. Who's going to watch over the Hellmouth while you're gone?"

"You did pretty well this past summer."

"We had the bot, and she was no substitute for the real thing."

She cocked an eyebrow at him and he gave her an angry look.

"Definitely not a substitute," Spike snapped.

Buffy sighed and picked up another skirt. "Look, Spike, this is only an initial meeting. I haven't said yes to their offer."

"But you need the money."

Looking down at him, she sighed softly. "And the benefits. Dawn has insurance through our dad, but I don't, and if I'm hurt enough to need hospitalization...There's no money to pay those kind of bills. And, even if I sell the house, I'll barely be able to pay off the mortgage and maybe afford first and last month's rent on an apartment."

Dropping the last shirt in her bag, she sank down on the coffee table opposite Spike and continued softly, "The Watcher's Council is offering me a salary and health insurance plus what amounts to a 401K plan."

"And you'd be under their thumb."

Buffy's face hardened. "Sometimes we have to make the hard choices."

"Dawn doesn't want to move to London."

"Don't make it harder still," Buffy yelled, angry at his playing the sister card. She knew how unhappy Dawn was about a possible move.

Spike growled and grabbed her hands, squeezing them between his. "I don't want you to go."

"I don't live my life for you, Spike. We're not even dating." She jerked her hands from his and rose to close her suitcase. "I asked you to drive me to the airport because everyone else is busy, but you can't try to stop me from going."

"I could tie you up and sit on you," he retorted, jumping to his feet.

Buffy stared at him, then laughed. "Oh yeah, I can see that." Rolling her eyes, she headed up the stairs to say farewell to her sister.

"I could," Spike muttered behind her, glaring balefully at her back.

The yelling and door slamming from upstairs sent a bolt of glee through him, but he composed his face as Buffy stomped back down the stairs.

"God, was I this bratty at fifteen?" she muttered.

"You were about that age when your mum uprooted you and moved here, right? How did you feel?"

She thought about it for a second, then flashed him a rueful look. "Okay, point to you." Glancing at her watch, Buffy sank into a rocker. "We don't need to leave for another ten minutes or so."

"Sunnydale needs you, Buffy. Your friends need you. I need you."

"You're not going to give this up, are you?"

Frowning down at her, Spike shook his head and crossed his arms across his chest. "Nope."

"Look, I'm going to suggest to the Council that they just pay me to work here. The Hellmouth is the obvious place for the Slayer, after all."

"They're not going to go for that, luv, you know that. We don't even know if this is a legitimate offer or a trap. They've never been happy with the way you work, or more importantly, fail to work with them."

"Do you think I haven't gone over those arguments over and over again, Spike?" she replied, a bit desperately. "I'm out of choices. I have to give this a try. I have to try to get them to pay me to stay here. But, I will move my sister to London and work there if that's the only option."

"It's not the only option," he protested. "Why won't you see that? The Witches are looking for jobs, even the 'Bit is talking about babysitting. I'll get a job, a legitimate one, if you'll only stay."

Buffy looked up at him in surprise. "I...I never told anyone to get jobs."

"They want to help. They've been paying a bit towards room and board, but they know there are more expenses they can be helping with."

"And you?" she asked softly.

Spike crouched down in front of her and reached for her again trembling hands. "Security guard, dock worker, hell I'll run the drive-thru at the horror palace you work at."

As emotion welled in her, tears began to fill her eyes. "Why?"

"Because I love you, Buffy, and that's what you do when you're in love. You help out the one you love."

"You're..."

He cut her off dismissively, "Evil, undead, a demon, yeah, yeah, I know. Can still hold down a job."

"I can't take your money."

"Why not? You've taken everything else from me. Pride, heart, body," he snapped.

"This is different. Money is...I'm the grown-up. I'm the one who's supposed to be earning the money."

Spike gave her a disbelieving look. "I'm over a hundred years old. I think I'm the grown up here."

Buffy returned the disbelieving look and he glared at her.

"You're one stubborn cow, you know that, luv?" he yelled as he rose to his feet to begin pacing.

"...Yeah," she admitted to his surprise. "But, I still have to try this on my own."

"No, you don't," he replied, sadness echoing in his soft voice. "I just wish you could see that."

Buffy looked up at him and wished she could, too.

The End?

Note: I kind of ran out of steam. Anyone want to continue this? Feel free, just give Jenni credit for the original plot and me for this much.

<< back