"Family Ties"

Author: Bri
Email: BriannaHs@aol.com
Spoilers: After 'This Year's Girl/Who Are You?' and 7 Years in future
Note: Well Doyle's not dead; he survived the end of 'Hero' but Wesley did show up in LA and works for/with Angel.


He stood in the shadows on the rooftop, staring sightlessly at the city beneath him. Had it really been seven years? Seven years, you would think it would feel like a moment, what was seven years in an over 200 year existence? Only the longest seven years of his life. Seven years since he saw her, touched her. Seven years since gypsies came back into his life and changed... everything. His thoughts turned back, seven years...


He staggered from the impact of the heavy chains hitting him, the pain and fury causing the demon within him to rise, his brow changing, yellow eyes glaring at the creature in front of him.

The creature glared back then grabbed its prey once more. The small dark haired girl didn't scream as she was hauled unceremoniously into the air, her black eyes wide with terror as the creature raced though the doors of the warehouse into the bright sun of the parking lot.

Cordelia screamed as she ran from behind a forklift to see him sprint through the doors after the creature and its prey. "Angel! NO!"

He screamed himself, in rage and pain as the sunlight lanced his skin, smoke raising in plumes from the red raw welts. He dove at the creature, driving them all into the shadows of the semi-truck. They rolled together a moment, fighting for dominance, for victory, then, with a loud crack, it was over. The child stood slowly, large black eyes staring at her unholy savior, widening at the sight of his fangs, the smoke still curling from his skin. He shook himself, shoving the demon within him back once more, his face returning to its human appearance. "Don't be afraid, I won't hurt you," his husky voice was soothing, his eyes as kind as they were tortured. Cordelia raced to his side, followed by an older woman who scooped up the child, "Angel? Are you OK?"

He nodded, his eyes taking in the features of the woman and child, widening when he heard the liquid syllables of the Romany tongue as she comforted the little girl. He licked his suddenly dry lips nervously, glancing away, noticing just how little shadow there was around him.

The woman turned to stare at him, "You are the Cursed One, are you not?" He nodded slowly, unable to meet her eyes.

"And yet you saved this little one, raced to a sure oblivion with no thought but to free her from that..." her lips curled in disgust as she indicated the dead creature at their feet.

"Well, of course he did. He's... Angel, its what he does," Cordelia replied.

"Cordelia..." he warned, eyes still flicking to the edges of the shadow, edging a little closer to the truck. He looked at the woman, "I couldn't just let it take her. I don't let innocents suffer."

"You? Protecting innocents?" she laughed, "It seems our curse has done more than avenge our loss." She smiled down at the little girl, "This one is as precious as the one you took from us. It is appropriate that you are the one who saved her." She peered at him, noting how his eyes kept flickering to the edges of the shadow and spoke in the liquid tongue of her people to the child. The little girl smiled and darted back into the warehouse.

"Hey!" Cordelia started to follow, then turned to glare at the woman, "Where is she going?"

"To do a favor for he who helped her," the woman raised her eyebrows at Cordelia, "something you should have thought of."

The child reappeared in the door way, dragging a heavy tarp behind her. Cordelia flushed, realizing what it was for and ran over to help her. "Ewwww, this smells horrible!" She dragged it into the shadows, dropping it at Angel's feet and rubbed her hands together, frowning, "Yuck! The things I do for you!"

Angel quirked a little half-smile at the child, rolling his eyes at Cordelia's antics. He bent and lifted the tarp, eyebrows raising in a silent question to the woman.

"Go ahead inside, the smell of your burning would be most unpleasant," and with that she rested a hand on the girl's shoulder and walked towards the warehouse.

"Angel, who is she?" Cordelia asked as he spread the tarp lifting it over his head to shield himself from the sun's burning rays.

"A Gypsy," was his only reply, before he ran for the warehouse, dropping the tarp in relief after he was deep in the building's cool dimness. He turned to the woman and child, "Thank you," he smiled, "It was getting a bit hot out there."

The child giggled and the woman smiled, "You're kindness should not go unrewarded. Normally, I would remove any curses you have upon you, but I do not think that would be... appropriate. Perhaps there is something else I can do to properly thank you."

"No thanks are necessary," his face was serious. "As for the curse," he shrugged, "I have a lot more things to make up for than what I did to your people."

"Perhaps... perhaps, but your debt to us is paid and you deserve something. We shall see. Come little one," she gestured to the child, "It is time to go." The two gypsies walked out of the warehouse.

"Angel! You're just going to let them leave?" Cordelia sputtered, "They didn't pay, they didn't..."

"Cordelia," Angel turned to look at her, "They paid a long time ago, they don't owe me anything." He turned, heading for the entrance to the tunnels that brought him to the warehouse. "I'll see you at the office."


"Mornin' Cordy," Doyle opened the office door and smiled at Cordelia, "And how are ye this fine mornin'?"

She stepped from behind the desk to give him a brief hello kiss, smiling brightly, "Better now that you're here."

He nodded towards Angel's private office, "Is he still brooding about the gypsies?"

"Yeah, its been a week and he's still all broody," she sighed, "He's been patrolling all night, then he sits in there all day doing his dark and somber thing."

"Hello."

They both jumped, turning to the door to see a young man holding a small brown package.

"Yes? Ummm, Angel Investigations, We Help the Hopeless," Cordelia's blurted the greeting.

"I haf pack- age for Angel," his accent was thick and combined with his dark hair and eyes, it was clear he was a gypsy.

"I'll take it Mate," Doyle reached for the package, only to have the messenger recoil. "No... Angel!" His face was determined.

"Can I help you?" Angel's soft voice made Cordelia squeak in surprise.

"Will everyone stop sneaking up on me!!" She turned away flustered.

"Pack-age, the Madre give to you," the gypsy handed Angel the small package with a slight bow and quickly turned and left.

"Wait!" Angel sighed, perching on the corner of Cordelia's desk, staring down at the package.

"Well aren't ye going to open it?" Doyle curiosity was making him fidget, "Ye can't just stare at it. That'd be... inhuman."

Angel sighed, shaking his head slightly at his friend's antics before slowly unwrapping the brown paper. Inside was a small wooden box, ornately carved.

"Well, open it!" Cordelia leaned over Angel's shoulder to gaze at the box. He slowly opened the box and frowned, underneath a folded paper was a pendant, a claddagh pendant, only hanging from the joined hands was a small vial full of a green glowing liquid. He stared at the pendant a moment then handed the box to Doyle, "Don't touch it." He slowly unfolded the paper and began to read.

Cordelia moved to Doyle's side, gazing down at the pendant with a raised eyebrow, "Hmm, silver, not even sterling by the look of it. And what with it glowy green goo?"

Angel stood suddenly, startling them both, he was staring at the paper shaking in his trembling hand.

"Angel?" Cordelia's voice was concerned, "What is it? What's wrong?" He looked at her, his eyes wide and shook his head, turning slowly back towards his office, the note crumpled in his hand.

"Angel? Mate?" Doyle looked at Cordelia, "Wait here Cordy, let me see if I can get anything from him." He followed Angel, closing the door behind him. "Here now Mate, what's in the note that's got ye all bothered?"

Angel turned to stare at him his face puzzled, "Vacation," he laughed mirthlessly, "It a vacation."

"Vacation? Ye're not makin' any sense, ye sound like me after a night on the town. What di' ye mean?"

"The pendant, it contains Blood of Eternity," Doyle's eyes widened, remembering what Angel had told him about the day Buffy had come to LA. "It can... modify the curse, change it so that I can..." He turned away, his voice a soft whisper, "be with her."

"Do ye mean to tell me that this little piece o' tin will let you... achieve happiness wi' out going all fangy on us?" Doyle's eyes were wide as he stared down at the box he still held in his hand. "I guess this mean you'll be goin' back to Sunnydale...unhhhhh!" He dropped the box, clutching at his temples in pain.

Angel caught the box with one hand and moved to support his friend with the other, "Easy, now."

"Doyle?" Cordelia burst through the door, concern on her face, "I'd know that grunt anywhere. What did you see?" She handed him the can of soda she carried, "Its cold, put it against your head."

Doyle swigged a mouthful of soda and gagged, "What in hell is this swill?" He looked at the can, "Cherry 7UP? What'd ye give me this for? Ye know I can't stand it."

She swiped the can back from him, "I told you to put it on your head! And it's not swill! I happen to like it!"

Angel cleared his throat, "Not to interrupt, but... I doubt I'll be going anywhere but to deal with your vision. Now, what did you see?"

Doyle raised an eyebrow, "Oh ye'll be goin' alright. To Sunnydale. I saw yer Buffy having it out with another bit of fluff, and it didn't look very good." Angel glanced down at the box in his hand, his face unreadable, "I leave at sunset."


The ride to Sunnydale was uneventful, unfortunately. It gave him too much time to think, to worry, to, as Cordelia put it, be all broody. He drove to Giles' place, knowing he had to find out what was going on before... before seeing her. The memory of a day that only he knew ever happened kept threatening to overwhelm him. He could still feel her against him, under him, could still taste her skin. He shook his head to try to clear away the memory but the image of her face before him, pleading with him for more time, eyes overflowing with tears wouldn't leave him.

He parked at the in front of the house and looked up at the dark windows, then glanced at the box on the seat next to him. Lifting it slowly, he opened it, staring at the pendant within. He lifted the pendant and slipped it over his head, sliding it under his shirt with a sigh.

He got out of the car and walked slowly up to the door, cautiously scanning the area around the house. He knocked and waited, noting when an upstairs light turned on.

"Coming... one moment," Giles' clipped tones drifted though the door. "Don't you know what time..." the door opened, Giles' voice trailing off as he gaped at Angel.

"Hello Giles," Angel tried a smile but he was nervous and it showed. "May I come in?"

"Come in? Angel? Oh, oh, yes come in," Giles stepped back his eyes wide.

"Thanks," he closed the door behind him. "I... Is Buffy OK?"

"Right to the point I see," Giles stepped into the kitchen, turning on the light and grabbing the teapot, filling it from the sink. "Why do you ask?"

"Giles, I don't really feel like playing games. My information says she was fighting someone, a girl and not doing very well. I want to know what's going on and I want to know now." He stepped closer to the ex-Watcher, his face and tone serious.

Giles sighed, removing his glasses to rub at his eyes, "Well, it's all worked out now, so there's really no need for you to be concerned. It was Faith you see, she woke from her coma and caused some, well, some trouble." He replaced his glasses and looked Angel in the eye, "You're a bit late to help with that though. Buffy handled herself quite well and its over. Faith has left town." Angel frowned confused, "Than why did...? The truth Giles, is she really OK? I was... told I should come, to help her somehow, something to do with her fight with Faith."

"Well, she is rather distraught about some of the things that happened. You see, Faith managed to, well, switch bodies with Buffy. While she was in Buffy's body apparently she... did some things that Buffy wouldn't have. Now Buffy has to deal with the aftermath of all that." He glanced nervously towards the back of the house.

Angel sighed, turning away to look out the window into the night. "Where is she? I... have to see her."

"Why?"

Angel tensed, afraid to move, that soft voice was the one that whispered in his dreams, that haunted him. He couldn't keep the tremor from his reply, "Buffy?"

"I think that I will go back to bed now," Giles looked from one to the other of them before heading up the stairs, pausing only to nod reassuringly at Buffy.

"Yeah, Buffy," she took a deep breath, "So why do you 'have' to see me?" There was anger in her voice, and pain.

"I..." he turned to look at her, "Heard about Faith, I needed to see that you were OK."

She laughed a little derisively, her eyes bright with unshed tears, "OK? Yeah I'm OK. Being taken by some Council goons, fighting my own body, seeing my friends hating me because they don't know who I am, but it's over, it's all good now."

He couldn't bear her pain, he moved swiftly to her, taking her in his arms, "Shhhh, it's OK, it's over."

She stood stiffly, resisting for a moment, then a shudder ripped through her. This was Angel, he was here, holding her, comforting her and the tears finally started to fall. "It... was so... horrible," she cried into his chest, clinging to him.

They stood that way for a few minutes, he just holding her as she cried, and when he saw that the storm of tears wasn't abating, he swung her into his arms and sat on the couch, cradling her. "Hush, its OK, its over." She continued to sob, clinging to him as he held her close, so he just held her, caressing her back, her hair, softly. Slowly, she quieted, her sobs turning to small hiccups and her body relaxing. He continued to caress her hair gently, realizing that she had cried herself to sleep. With a sigh, he stood carefully, carrying his precious burden he walked to the back bedroom. He smiled seeing the disarray of her overnight bag and gently laid her on the bed. She whimpered, clutching at him when he tried to withdraw and with a small frown, he settled next to her. He glanced at the windows, making sure the curtains were tightly drawn and slowly relaxed.

He woke slowly, feeling more rested than he had in months and smiled feeling Buffy nestled against him. He looked down at her sleeping face and couldn't resist the urge to kiss her. His lips gently brushed hers, feather light, once, twice. She sighed softly, her head turning up to meet him as he returned for a third taste. Unable to help himself, he pressed his lips more firmly against hers, tongue teasing lightly at the corners of her mouth. She moaned softly, shifting to lay more closely against him, her mouth opening to his searching tongue. His hands caressed her back softly running down her spine and back up to tangle in her hair, deepening their kiss.

Her eyes fluttered open as he trailed kisses along her jaw to nibble lightly on her ear. "Angel..." she whispered, "is it really you?"

"Yes," he murmured into her neck, breathing in her scent, his hands running once more down her back to press her more firmly against him.

She shivered, his tongue teasing her neck and for a moment remembered the pain and pleasure of his feeding upon her. Her hands caressed his shoulders then laced in his hair, tugging softly, lifting his face to hers for a deep kiss. Her tongue chased and teased his as her body writhed against his, her legs parting to straddle his thigh.

He shuddered as her thigh brushed against him, his groin tightening. He shifted his leg between hers, pressing against her warm center, smiling as she gasped at the sensation. His hand moved slowly to cup her breast, thumb gently grazing her nipple as his tongue traced her lips.

She moaned, hands clutching his shoulders, back arching to press herself more firmly against him, "Angel... we, ooooh, we shouldn't..."

His hand slid to the hem of her nightshirt, slipping under it to rest on her waist, "Hush, it's ok." He captured her mouth again in a deep searching kiss. She shivered at the feel of his cool hand against her skin, her hands sliding down his back, clawing lightly through his shirt. Her hips flexed, pressing her against his hard thigh and she groaned at the feeling racing through her. She felt his hardness against her leg and her hand drifted, slowly, to tease at his waistband before moving to caress him through his jeans.

A soft groan escaped him at the feel of her hand on him and he pulled away from her. 'Hush," he murmured at her whimper of disappointment as he grasped her nightshirt and slipped in swiftly over her head.

She smiled, at his gasp of wonder, arching her back as he gazed down at her naked body. She sat up, hands knotting in his shirt and, almost casually, ripped it open, sending buttons flying across the room.

He moaned as she leaned forward, kissing his chest, her hands sliding down his quivering stomach to grasp his waistband and deftly open the button and zipper, reaching inside to caress his pulsing hardness. He shivered as her warm lips and tongue traced down his torso, her hands sliding his pants and briefs down his thighs. "Buffy..." he gasped as she giggled softly, her tongue reaching out to tease at his shaft.

His hands laced in her hair, his head thrown back in pleasure as she took him gently into her mouth. His whole body shuddered at the feel of her hands caressing his back, her mouth moving softly on his pulsating hardness. With an anguished groan, he pulled her away from him, pushing her down on the bed as he kicked off his pants and swiftly positioning himself between her legs. His brought his lips down on hers, as he surged forward, driving himself into her wet tight center. Her legs rose to wrap strongly around his waist, pulling him even deeper within her, as her tongue met his in a warm battle between their mouths.

Her hands clawed at his back as her hips rose to meet him, thrust for thrust, spiraling them both higher and higher in their quest for ecstasy. He rolled suddenly on the bed, so that she was on top of him and she sat up, back arching at the feel of him reaching ever deeper within her. His hands ran up her ribs to cup her breasts, squeezing, caressing as she rode him. She leaned back, hands on his thighs as he continued to caress her, her hips rocking, bringing them higher and higher. He felt himself about to explode and slid one hand down her body, slipping to the juncture between them, his thumb teasing her clit even as he thrust himself deeper.

The feel of his hand finally pushed her over the edge, her entire body tensing then convulsing as the waves of pleasure crashed through her and driving him to his own completion, exploding within her. He held her tenderly as she collapsed on his chest, shuddering with the force of her orgasm. His hands gently caressed her back as her breathing slowed and she relaxed. "I love you," she murmured softly, as she slipped into an exhausted sleep. He smiled, kissing her hair, "I love you too," before closing his eyes and joining her in the arms of slumber.


He woke slowly, feeling a peace within him that he hod only felt on that day that never was. He tensed briefly, waiting for the surge of the demon within him but there was only peace and contentment. He opened his eyes, realizing he was alone in the bed. "Buffy?" He saw her, half crouched in the corner of the room, Mr. Pointy clutched in her trembling hand. "Buffy, its ok," he smiled reassuringly. "I'm still me." He touched the pendant around his neck, "I've been given a, well a vacation of sorts. This blocks the curse from being lifted."

"So," she frowned, puzzled, "you figured you could just walk back into my life again?" Her eyes narrowed with anger, "And my bed?"

Suddenly realizing how things appeared he looked away, "Umm, actually, I, uh," he stumbled over the words. "You see, I wasn't going to... but then Doyle, you remember Doyle, he had a vision of you and... well, now I know it was Faith, fighting and I... well, I had to..." he trailed off.

"Had to come and see that I was OK and work off some, what is it guys say? Some tension?"

Her bitter sarcasm was the last thing he was prepared to handle. He stared at her searching for the right words, "Buffy, its not like that, you know its not..."

She turned away, grabbing clothes and dressing quickly, fury in her every movement, "Oh do I? Funny, I don't actually."

She turned to face him, eyes full of pain and betrayal, "Well you got what you wanted. I'm fine. Faith is dealt with. Why don't you run along back to LA?" She turned and ran from the room, slamming the door behind her.

"Buffy..." He stared at the door, pain ripping through him. He stood and gathered his clothes, dressing slowly before stepping out into the living room.

"She's gone, ran out of here like a shot." Giles stood in the kitchen doorway, cup of tea in his hand. "And as soon as it's dark, I'd appreciate it if you left too."

"Giles..." his voice was full of pain.

"I'd rather not hear it Angel. All you've managed to do is hurt her again and I don't especially care for it. If not for the fact that she'd rather do it herself at the moment," Giles face showed his disgust, "I'd stake you myself. Now if you'll excuse me. I'm going to take a walk." He set down his teacup and headed for the door. "Lock up when you leave."


He shook his head, noting the beginnings of the dawn showing on the horizon. He been lost in the past all night and nothing had changed. He looked down at the pendant in his hand, wondering why he'd kept it all this time. Wondering what had happened to Buffy, how her life was going, whether or not she'd found happiness. He sighed and turned to the stairs, walking slowly down to the apartment.


Buffy stood in the doorway, gazing down at her daughter as she slept. Seven years, it's been seven years since he'd come back in and out of her life. Seven years since everything had changed. She jumped hearing Riley stirring and quickly headed back to their bedroom.

"Wha... where were you?" he muttered sleepily as he glared at her from their bed.

She licked her lips nervously, "I was... checking on Lianne, I thought I heard her crying."

"And how is the precious little brat," he snarled.

"Fine, she's sound asleep, I must have imagined it," she tried a smile, "Go on back to sleep, its barely dawn."

"Don't tell me what to do!" he stood up and stretched. "Now that I'm up, I'll just stay up, I could use some coffee." He walked to the bathroom.

"Oh, ok," she walked to the kitchen and started the coffee brewing with a sigh. 'I guess I'm not getting anymore sleep,' she mused as she watched the coffee drip into the pot. 'I just hope he stays out of the house today.' Her thoughts flew back, back seven years, finding out she was pregnant, marrying Riley. They were so happy in the beginning. Then Lianne was born and the truth came out. She was still confused, how could Angel have gotten her pregnant? I mean, he was dead after all. But he did and Riley, well Riley wasn't very happy about it. The Initiative didn't help; their threats to take Lianne were all that kept her here with Riley. They were just too big for her to fight.

Riley walked into the kitchen, "Coffee ready?"

"Yeah, here you go," she poured him a cup and grabbed the milk from the fridge and placed it in front of him.

"Orders are for the brat to report for testing in the Med Lab today. Make sure you have her there by noon."

"Noon? But Riley, you know how sensitive she is to the sun! Can't they reschedule for later in the day? Please?" Buffy pleaded with him, hazel eyes wide.

"No, they can't. Just get her there by noon. And remember, you're patrolling with B-Squad tonight so she'll sleep in the complex." He leered at her,

"We'll have a night alone after patrol."

She barely managed to hide a shudder, "But she's terrified to sleep there."

"You know the rules! When you patrol she stays in the complex!" His eyes filled with the rage that was constantly until the surface these days. "Do I have to explain it to you again?"

She winced, eyes lowering as she remembered his last 'explanation,' only her unique recuperative abilities had kept her from the hospital. "No," she murmured, "No explanation necessary."

"Good," he smiled, that clean cut boyish smile that just hid the bastard within. "I'll see you later than." He stood and grabbed his gear, returning to brush her lips with a kiss before heading out the door.

She leaned against the counter, tears in her eyes, wishing things were different, wishing she'd hadn't lost her temper seven years ago, wishing there was someone who could free her from this hell she found herself in.


"Angel Investigations, We Help the Hopeless," Cordelia's voice was cheerful as she answered the phone, "Hello? Hello?" She hung up, forehead wrinkled in a puzzled frown.

"Something wrong Cordelia?" Wesley looked up from his research to gaze thoughtfully at her.

She shrugged, "Another hang up. We must have a similar number to someone REALLY popular. They're happening once or twice a week."

"Well that is odd. Once or twice a week you say?" He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Perhaps it is someone in need of help who is too afraid to ask for it."

Cordelia rolled her eyes, "Oh really Wesley, its just like you to try to make a fuss over a wrong number."


Buffy set the receiver back in its cradle with a sigh. Cordelia had answered yet again, and yet again she couldn't find the words.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" Lianne looked up at her, brown eyes wide.

Buffy gazed down at her daughter, even without the Initiative's tests she'd have known Lianne was Angel's. She had his hair and, most of all, his deep soulful eyes. Eyes that reached deep into her heart. "Nothing baby, nothing's wrong," she smiled, "Come on, we have to get ready to go."

Lianne gazed up at her mother biting her lip, "Riley won't be there will he?"

"No honey," she fought down a sob at the fear in Lianne's eyes. "Riley won't be there. Just the doctors today. And tonight... tonight you have to sleep there, OK?"

"I don't want to stay there, Mommy. I don't like it there. I want to stay with you."

"Now Lianne," Buffy sighed, hating herself, "I have to patrol tonight and so does Riley so..."

Lianne's voice was resigned, "I have to stay in the complex." She looked up at Buffy hopefully, "Can I take my book? My fairy book?"

"Yes sweetie," Buffy smiled, "of course you can take your book. Now you go get it and whatever other toy you want to bring while I get dressed." With that she headed for her bedroom.

Lianne watched her go, biting her lip nervously before picking up the address book. She flipped through it quickly, looking for the card she'd seen her mother looking at earlier. There it was, creased and worn, a small faded business card, "Angel Investigations," she read haltingly, "We help the hopeless." She bit her lip, glancing towards her mother's room before slipping the card into her pocket.

"Lianne," her mother stepped into the hall just as she put the address book back, "I thought I told you to get your things together."

"Sorry Mom," she smiled impishly before running to her room, quickly snatching up her book and grabbing her teddy bear. "Ready," she ran back to the hall to where he mother stood holding an overnight bag.

"Alrighty then," Buffy smiled bravely, "Off we go."


Lianne sat quietly on the bed, clutching her book and teddy bear tightly, her eyes wide as she watched Riley talk with the doctors. Her hand slid into her pocket to touch the worn business card before withdrawing to clutch her book.

Riley turned and walked towards her, "You do what you're told. Do you hear me?"

Her voice was barely a whisper, "OK."

"What was that? Speak up!" his glare made her shrink back in the chair, clutching her book tighter. "Answer me!"

She swallowed, unable to keep the defiance from her eyes as she looked up at him, "I said 'OK,'" she spoke a bit louder.

His eyes narrowed, "Everyone OUT!" he snarled at the doctors standing in the doorway. The exchanged glances before filing out slowly.

"What did you say?" His voice was low and threatening.

Lianne looked down, focusing on the ground between her sneaker clad feet, realizing she pushed him, again. She swallowed heavily, her mouth working soundlessly.

He grabbed her by the arms, wrenching her into the air, fingers biting in painfully, "What did you say?!?!"

Her eyes filled with tears as he shook her, her book and teddy bear falling from numb fingers, "Yes sir... yes sir... please Riley... don't..."

"SET HER DOWN FINN!" The bellow shocked them both. Riley's head turned to see Dr. Master's, head of the project, in the doorway glaring at him. He lowered Lianne slowly back down to the chair, fingers biting deeper into her arms before releasing her.

"Now then, I am sure you have other duties to perform," Dr. Master's held the door open, waiting for him to pass through. Riley glared at Lianne a moment longer before storming off, muttering angrily.

Dr. Masters watched as the small girl picked up her book and teddy bear and settled quietly back into the chair, before he left her alone, door closing slowly behind her

Lianne sighed in relief and looked around the room, she was alone. She hated it here; doctors poking and prodding at her, the soldiers looking at her like she was one of the monsters that Mommy fought. She opened the cover of her book and looked at the inscription, even though she didn't need to read it, she'd memorized it a long time ago: "Buffy, these were once very special to a young man named Liam. I hope you enjoy them as much as he did. Love Always, Angel."

She slowly traced the spots on the worn page, spots she knew were left by her mother's tears. She bit her lip and looked around the room again. Soon they'd leave her alone, after all, she smiled slowly, it was almost her bedtime.


Lianne slowly got out of her bed in the dark room, her eyes easily making out the shapes of the other furniture as she made her way to the phone. She'd memorized the phone number from the business card and after lifting the receiver, quickly dialed. She thought she would cry when there was finally an answer and she realized that it was just an answering machine. She couldn't quite stop a sob from escaping and was about to hang up when she heard a deep husky voice cut off the chatter of the outgoing message. "Hello, this is Angel."

"Angel?" her voice squeaked, she couldn't help it, her father was there on the other end of the line.

"Yes, this is Angel. Can I help you?"

The words came out in a torrent of hope, of pain, "Daddy? Daddy, please help me, please. I need you. Please."

"Daddy? I'm sorry honey," his voice was so sweet, so kind, "I think you have the wrong..."

"No! No Daddy please," she interrupted desperately, she knew they'd discover her use of the phone soon. "It's me, it's Lianne, I have the book you gave Mommy, Liam's stories. Please Daddy, please, you have to help me," she blurted the first things that came to her mind, desperate to have him believe her.

"Liam's...? What are you...?" he gasped suddenly, "Buffy. Honey is your Mommy Buffy?"

She cried in relief, he knew, it was him, "Yes, yes, I have to go now though, they're coming," she'd heard the sounds of approaching boots. "Please hurry Daddy," she hung up the phone and raced back to her bed, diving under the covers, the sounds of boots making her tremble.

The boots stopped outside the door and she heard a creak as it opened. "Ah, it was probably one of the new recruits. Look, the kid is asleep."

"Yeah, come on, let's get back to work."

The door creaked as the boots retreated and she breathed a sigh of relief. She'd found him, now she just had to wait for him to find her.


Angel prowled his office, his thoughts racing out of control. A daughter, Lianne, she sounded young. Well she would be, he counted quickly, six, she'd be six. She needed help to protect her from... someone. Who? Who would threaten a child? And Buffy, what about Buffy? Why hadn't she told him? He grabbed the phone dialing quickly, frantically.

"Come on, come on Cordelia, pick up!" He waited, frustrated at the sound of her answering machine, "Cordelia, its me, Angel. If you're there pick up, please." He heard the pleading in his own voice and closed his eyes, fighting for control.

"Angel, what's up Mate?" Doyle's voice came over the line.

"Doyle! Doyle, can you and Cordelia get back here. I need... need some help with something. A, um, job's come up."

"Sure 'ting Angel. We'll be right there. Do ye want us to pick up Wesley on the way?" Doyle's voice was concerned, he'd never heard the panic in his friend's voice before.

"Yes, yes, bring Wesley. Hurry Doyle, hurry." Angel hung up and stared at the phone a moment before resuming his agitated pacing.

Cordelia, Doyle and Wesley rushed into the office to find him still pacing. "Angel, what's wrong?" Cordelia's concern was apparent as she rested a hand on his arm.

"Oh good, you're all here. Thank you, thank you for coming back," he couldn't stop himself from babbling, it was just so overwhelming. "Cordelia, I need to know what's been going on in Sunnydale for the past seven years. Everything you can tell me."

His friends exchanged worried looks. He'd wanted nothing to do with Sunnydale for the past seven years, now he wanted to know everything that happened. Just what was going on?

"Well, umm, somehow I suspect that this has something to do with Buffy," Cordelia raised her eyebrows at him, "Am I right?"

"Here now mate," Doyle stepped forward, "hasn't that bit of fluff done enough damage to you? I thought ye'd managed to put her behind ye?"

"Yes, it concerns Buffy," Angel ignored Doyle focusing on Cordelia. "What can you tell me?"

"Well," she frowned, exchanging a glance with Doyle before continuing, "she's, well, apparently at least, happily married to a guy by the name of Riley Finn and..." she paused as he turned away wincing.

"And what Cordelia?" his voice was full of pain.

Her voice was soft, "they have a daughter..."

"Lianne," he finished for her with a sigh.

She frowned at him, annoyed, "Well if you already knew, why did you ask?" She crossed her arms, sitting on her desk.

"Angel," Wesley spoke up, "What exactly is going on?"

His voice was tortured as he leaned against the wall, head hanging between his arms, "Lianne called, she... she says she needs help. She said she's..." his voice dropped to a hoarse whisper, "my daughter."

The all stared at him, shocked. Cordelia broke the silence, "But you're dead? There isn't much safer sex than that."

"Cordy!!!" Doyle snapped, angry with her for the first time since they'd met.

Wesley frowned, peering at Angel curiously, "Tactless it may be, but she does have a point. How is it possible? There's never been a recorded case of a vampire impregnating anyone; vampires reproduce, well, we all know how."

Angel didn't move from his position against the wall, unable to face them, too much pain racing through his soul to bear their faces. "I don't know," his voice was rough with emotion, "I wish I did. All I know is that she... she called me," his voice broke, "'Daddy' and pleaded with me to help her. Find out what you can, will you?" He turned into his private office, closing the door softly behind him.

They exchanged glances before all turning to what they did best. Cordelia picked up the phone and began to dial as Wesley turned to the bookshelves, pulling down a number of tomes to begin his research.

"I'm gonna hit the street, see what I can pick up from those on the underside of the tracks, if ye catch me drift," Doyle said as he headed for the door,

"I'll check in wit' ye later Cordy luv."

She nodded, blowing him a swift kiss as she spoke into the phone, "Carolyn? Hi its Cordelia. Yes Cordelia Chase. Has it really been that long? Goodness. So how are things in good old Sunnydale?"

Angel stood at the window, staring out into the night, listening to Cordelia's chatter through the door. Her question echoed in his mind, how had it happened? He looked down at the pendant lying on his desk, frowning. Perhaps it had done more than protect him from the curse being lifted. He shook his head, how wasn't important, what was important now what Lianne and... and Buffy. They needed him and he wasn't about to let them down.


It was 3 am when the call came over the radio, "B-Squad this is Finn, come in B-Squad."

Buffy hit the send button with a sigh of relief, "Yeah Riley,"

"Protocol Summers, protocol, you know better. Anyway, time to stand down. Head to rendezvous point."

"Yes sir, B-Squad out," Buffy snapped. "Damn you and you're protocols," she muttered.

"Excuse me?" Forrest sent a curious glance her way, frowning.

She flushed, knowing Riley would hear about her minor complaint and tried to cover up quickly, "Nothing Forrest, I'm just... umm, frustrated that we didn't find anything tonight," she pasted on her best bright smile, "you know me, I hate boring patrols."

He just grunted and signaled the rest of the squad to head back to the rendezvous.


Buffy stepped into the dark house with a tired sigh, quickly stripping off her jacket. She twisted her neck, trying to work out the kinks when she heard Riley step up behind her, closing the door softly behind him. "Tired?" he asked.

"Yeah, just a little," she headed to the bedroom, not bothering to turn on the lights.

He followed her, standing behind her as she stood in front of her dresser, removing her jewelry and starting to undress. His eyes warmed as he watched her graceful movements as she slid her pants off and started to unbutton her blouse. She turned and bit her lip nervously, recognizing the look in his eyes.

"Riley, I... I'm really tired," she started hesistantly, reaching for her nightshirt.

He grabbed it, tossing it into the corner of the room, "I don't think you'll be needing this tonight." He smiled slowly as he pulled off his shirt and sat on the bed to remove his boots. "Lianne is at the complex and I had a successful hunt tonight, I feel like making love to my wife."

She shivered in the cool air as she stripped, schooling her delicate features into what she thought of as her brainless blond expression even though she was screaming inside. She paused before him a moment, practically posing for him before getting into their bed. It was just easier to go along with it, easier to run deep into a dark corner of her mind and try to hide from him.

Riley smiled as she posed for him, already rampant with desire. Seven years and a baby had done nothing to mar her petite figure; if anything, it was even better now. He ran a warm callused hand down her body, pausing to squeeze her breast lightly before continuing down and resting on her hip. He frowned slightly, seeing a blankness to her eyes, "Oh no," he murmured, "I want you here with me." He captured her lips in a deep kiss, his hand returning to her breast to caress it gently. His other hand knotted in her hair, holding her head secure as his tongue gently probed her mouth.

Buffy cringed inside, his gentleness was her downfall, and she found herself beginning to respond, her nipple hardening as he brushed it lightly, her mouth opening to his.

He smiled as he trailed kisses down her neck to her breast, his mouth hot and wet. He drew her closer to him, molding her soft form against him, deftly separating her legs with his thigh.

She moaned at the feel of him pressing against her, feeling herself get warm and wet at the sensation of his hard thigh grinding gently. Her hands grasped his shoulders; she wanted to push him away, make him stop, but she found herself pulling him closer, arching her back as the sensations within her grew more intense.

He laughed softly, enjoying his dominance of her as his mouth traveled back and forth over her breasts, sucking and nibbling on them, he knew her so well, knew exactly where and how to touch her. His hands ran down her back lightly tracing along her spine, making her shiver at his feather-light touch. He cupped her buttocks, fingers digging into their softness, lifting her hips in a slow rhythm that he matched with his thigh flexing against her warm wet center.

She whimpered at the sensations of him grinding against her and ran a soft hand down his torso to lightly caress him, running her fingertips along his hard shaft. She wrapped her hand around him, making him groan and began to squeeze gently, pulsing her hand around him.His raised himself up on his elbows to stare down into her passion glazed eyes as he swiftly positioned himself between her legs. He teased at her tight, wet opening with the head of his hard cock, murmuring, "You're mine, remember that. And I'm never going to let you go."

She moaned in mixed despair and frustration, wanting him and hating him, hating herself for wanting him, "Please, oooh, Riley... please." Her hands were on his hips, tugging on him even as she raised herself to him, trying to draw him within her, wanting to feel him fill her.

He smiled in triumph, slowly, ever so slowly entering her. He gritted his teeth, straining for control at the feel of her writhing under him, around him. Once he was seated deeply within her, he paused, drenched with sweat as he fought to restrain himself, to continue his sweet torture of her. He didn't need to move for his own pleasure to skyrocket to new heights, the feel of her around him, her body shuddering sinuously beneath him was enough on its own.

Her nails dug into his back her breathing coming hard and fast as she felt herself spinning uncontrollably in a whirlwind of desire. She knew what he wanted to hear, knew she had to give in before he drove her mad, "Riley... yes, yes," she sobbed, "I'm yours... please, oh god please." She heard herself sell her soul once more, unable to stop, mindless with raging passion.

Her words alone almost drove him over the edge and he withdrew completely, running his length between her wet swollen lips, catching her scream of rapture in his mouth as ran his rigid staff along her swollen clit driving her to new depths of passion. He paused, his tongue thrusting deep within her mouth before plunging himself violently into her, erupting within her as he felt her climax yet again.

He collapsed onto top of her, shuddering with the force of his orgasm. He lay there, slicked with sweat letting his breathing returned to normal, hands idly caressing her gently, soothing away her tremors of reaction. He rolled off of her, pulling her to nestle against his side as he relaxed, eyes drifting closed in contentment, secure of his control over her.

She relaxed against him, sighing, fighting not to betray the emotions churning within her. She waited until his breathing slipped into the patterns of sleep before slithering out of the bed. She padded silently to the bathroom, closing the door tightly before turning on the light. She fought to keep her gaze from the mirror, not wanting to see her reflection as she grabbed a washcloth and turned on the hot water. Biting her lip more from the desperation within than from the scalding water, she began to scour herself, abrading her skin with the washcloth, wishing it could scrape the stain of him from her soul.


Cordelia was dozing on the couch, exhausted when an equally tired Doyle stumbled into the apartment. Wesley looked up from his books. "Doyle, did you find out anything?"

"Ye can say that. Things are sounding a bit bleak for his Slayer these days from what I've heard." He sat on the couch, wrapping an arm around Cordelia's shoulders. He kissed her cheek softly, whispering in her ear, "C'mon now Princess, time for Sleeping Beauty to wake up."

She snuggled in his embrace, frowning as she woke, "Hmmm? Oh Doyle you're back," her sleepy smile was warm as he brushed her lips with a soft kiss. "I was getting worried."

The sound of the elevator interrupted any further conversation and they all turned to look at Angel as he entered the apartment from patrolling restlessly. He'd been unable to just wait in his office while his friends researched, he'd need to move, to hunt. For the first time in since he was cursed, he felt a rage in his soul that matched that of the demon within him. "Well? What have you found so far?"

The all started to talk at once, his obvious need driving them. Cordelia suddenly shouted, drowning out the two men, "HEY! Ladies' First. Jeez, you guys."

Angel felt the first hint of a smile touch his lips since Lianne's phone call hours ago. "Go on Cordelia," his voice was soft, "What did you find out."

"Well," now that she had the floor, she looked a little unsure, "I don't know how much you're going to like it. Things have been, well, odd for Buffy these past years."

"What do you mean 'odd'?"

"Well, things looked just peachy for good old Buffy at first, well except for getting married because she was pregnant anyway. According to my sources, this Riley is an old fashioned kind of guy, he insisted they get married. Anyway, things seemed fine for Buffy, the pregnancy went easily and the newlyweds seemed happy. Then the baby was born and everything seemed to change."

"Change in what way?"

"Well, rumor has it that the baby isn't Riley's and he was ticked off about it but too nice a guy to do anything extreme like divorce her or something. Buffy drifted away from Willow and the gang, in fact, she hasn't been seen with them in almost six years. She had to drop out of school because of the kid and has spent most of her time doing the wifey and mommy thing. Riley, he's well, everyone thought he was just a college student but it came out that he was really a soldier assigned to some kind of special unit that worked with the college." She took a deep breath, biting her lip nervously,

"And then there's Lianne, the little girl," her voice hushed conspiratorially as she got deeper into the story. "She's got her own mysteries surrounding her. She's never been sick, you know, with measles and stuff but seems to have some other medical problems. Very hush, hush though." She shrugged, "The Finns seem to be a fairly private little family so I couldn't find out many details." She bit her lip, obviously holding something back.

Angel's voice was strained, sure he didn't want to hear what she was withholding, but needing to, "What else Cordelia, all of it."

"OK, OK, well where was I," she frowned a moment, "Well, the kid's not an albino or anything, I mean you can tell that, she's got dark hair and eyes."

Angel twitched, wincing slightly in her blithe description. Lianne's appearance must be a constant reminder to Buffy... and to Riley. Cordelia continued oblivious to his reaction, "But she seems to be very sensitive to the sunlight. They go through bottles and bottles of sunscreen for her. And she must have a vitamin deficiency of some sort, Buffy seems to buy a lot of Iron supplements for her. I guess that's understandable, though. Oh yeah, and then when they decided to put her in day care, well, from what I hear, she's a little terror. The daycare actually threw her out, can you believe it? Apparently some other kids were, well hurt during a fight." She swallowed, "What I heard was the other kids kept teasing and she lost her temper. They were teasing her because... because..."

"Go ahead Cordelia," Angel's voice was low as he turned away from them.She sighed, "Because she insisted her 'Daddy' was an angel." She looked at Angel's back, wincing in sympathy when he tensed at her words. "That's all I've got, so far anyway. Doyle, what's the word from the icky and slimy side of town?"

"Hey, watch yer mouth," he responded with a brief smile. "Well, unfortunately, the word's not all that good. According to my sources, Sunnydale has become a real Hell fer demons the past few years." He scratched his head, struggling to put the various rumors into a complete picture. "Well, ta start with, when Buffy was in the family way, she stared working with this Finn bloke's soldiers" He frowned, shaking his head, "See these soldiers had been showing up in Sunnydale fer a while and demons of every type started, well, just disappearing. Once Buffy started working with them, things just got worse fer all the non-human types."

"Worse how?" Angel turned to gaze at his friend, eyes unreadable.

"Well, the harmless demons, the ones that had no beef with humans, they'd never had to worry about the Slayer. She'd left them alone as long as there was no trouble. But these soldiers, they just don't care who they mess with. They go after any and all non-humans," he shook his head, "Its like the Scourge, equal opportunity mayhem."

"Sounds it. And Buffy is working with them?" Angel shook his head, "That doesn't sound like her at all."

"Well, there's more," Doyle continued, "Fer a while, no one knew about the soldier boys, just that there was a lot of demons disappearing, not being killed, mind you, just disappearing. Then, right around the time of Buffy turned up in the family way, so to speak, the word got out. These soldiers, they've been capturing people and doing test and stuff on them. In fact, yer old buddy Spike, he was caught at one point and they did something to him," he grinned suddenly, "yer gonna like this actually."

Angel raised his eyebrows in silent question.

"They made it so Spike couldn't harm humans anymore. If he tries, he gets a blinding excruitiating headache, which I can relate too," he sobered, "Of course, good old Spike figured out he could still feed on non-humans and has made a right nuisance of himself in the demon communities. Anyway, back to Buffy. Well, word under the street is that little Lianne is something... something different. She's safe from the locals 'cause none of them want to take on both the military and the Slayer, but they're definitely leery of the wee tyke. She's been seen with Buffy out and about, usually 'round sundown, but they leave her alone. They're not quite sure what she is either apparently." He shrugged, "That's about it. Whatever the threat is to the lass I don't think it's the local demon community. They're too busy trying to stay out o' the way of Finn and his boys in green. It might be a heavy hitter from out of town, but if it is, words hasn't filtered back here to LA about it."

Angel sighed, not liking what he was hearing. He turned to Wesley, "Did you find out anything?"

"Ahem," Wesley fidgeted uncomfortably, "Actually, no. Apparently young Lianne is doubly special. I have found absolutely no references of either a Slayer or a vampire having a child." He shook his head, "This is an unprecedented occurrence and without a frame of reference to go by, there is no way to predict anything about her. Suffice it to say, I would not be surprised in the least if the Watcher's Council decided to get involved in some manner. And if as you," he nodded towards Doyle and Cordelia, "say, the United States Military is involved, well then, I am sure that they are quite interested in the young girl. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the ones that she is pleading to be saved from." He frowned, rubbing at his chin thoughtfully, "I have to admit, I don't understand Buffy's alliance with these military chaps. The one thing that stood out in my term as her Watcher was her, well, outright defiance of authority and discipline. It seems totally out of character for her to be so firmly enmeshed with the military in this manner."

"Agreed," Angel caught their eyes, one by one, resolve and determination pushing aside the pain he felt, "So here's what we're going to do. I'm going to Sunnydale and you guys stay here and hold down the fort."

"Bloody hell we will!" ,"I don't think so Mister!", "Now Angel, you can't do this alone." They all exclaimed at once. Doyle finally drowning the others out.

"Hey now! Look here Mate," he spread his hands, gesturing at Cordelia and Wesley, "I'm sure they'll agree, we've become a family over the past few years; helped each other through some rough times, sticking together through thick and thin. Ye say that this Lianne in yer daughter, well then, that makes her family too." He raised his eyebrows with a small smile, "We're all in this together. Besides, if ye leave without us, we'll just follow along anyway."

"Right, what he said," Cordelia wrapped an arm around Doyle's waist, "I never thought I'd be in love with a demon, well half demon, or be friends with and work for a vampire," she shrugged, "But I'm a Sunnydale girl through and through. You're family whether you like it or not Angel. We're helping."

"There's really nothing for me to add, Doyle and Cordelia have said it so eloquently," Wesley wiped surreptitiously at his eyes. "So when do we leave?"

Angel swallowed, touched by their devotion, "We leave at noon, I want to be in Sunnydale by sundown. Wesley, you'll drive my car," he nodded at Cordelia and Doyle, "You guys take Cordelia's. Get some rest and pack your bags." His face was determined, eyes hard, "We're not coming back without Lianne."

"And Buffy?" Wesley had to ask.

"Buffy, well that depends on her," was his only answer as he turned to the weapons locker and began to pack.


Riley walked over to his desk and frowned at the mountain of paperwork; he much preferred being out and about, patrolling, fighting, to administrative workŠ. He sat with a sigh and began to pour over the reports from the past week that he hadn't gotten to yet. He sipped his coffee thoughtfully, he'd been noticing an odd pattern for some time now; whatever unit Buffy was assigned to had a tendency for quiet nights whenever they were after some of the so-called 'harmless' HSDs. The only times they were successful in their hunting was when they were after something that was an active threat. It looked like Buffy may need another 'explanation' of just what her job was with the Initiative.

He sighed again, picking up the phone logs to review. There were always a number of unauthorized calls that he needed to track down, just in case of a leak. He stared down at the previous nights log and choked on his coffee; that number, he knew that number by heart he'd seen it on his personal phone bills so many times. He'd never done anything about Buffy's calls to LA because he could tell that she never spoke to anyone, she just hung up. But this call, this call was for minutes, this was no hang up. He was a little surprised that it was Lianne making the call, he didn't know she knew the number, but it didn't matter, the call had been made. Finally, the call had been made. The bait was primed, he just had to set the trap now.

He looked at the clock, 10 am, Buffy would be here soon to pick up the little brat. He stood, striding purposefully over to the command center. He had a lot of work to do. Everything he'd heard about Angel said that he would be back in Sunnydale soon.


Buffy walked down the stairs and over to where Riley stood at the command center. "Morning Riley."

"Well, well, did you sleep well? After last nights exercise," he grinned broadly as she flushed at his veiled reference to the night before, "I slept like the dead." He brushed a kiss across her lips, his eyes practically daring her to flinch, "So did you, I decided to be nice and let you sleep in."

She suffered his kiss not wanting to antagonize him, "Thank you for that," she glanced around, "I, umm, want to bring Lianne home. Is she ready?"

"Hey, now, you have some work to do first," he handed her Forrest's report from the previous nights patrol. "Read this over and sign off if you don't have anything to add. You know the drill."

He looked past her as she sighed, bowing her head to read the report, and smiled as he saw Megan slipping into Lianne's room. Everything was going according to plan.


Lianne looked up from her book as Megan stepped in the room, "Megan!" She ran over to hug the young scientist, "I've missed you." Megan was the only one here who seemed to care about her, who remembered that she was a little girl, not a monster.

Megan smiled as she swung the tiny girl into her arms, "Well now Missy, that's because I've been working days mostly now and you," she tweaked Lianne's nose playfully, "are more often here at night while your parents are out patrolling." She sighed mentally, she really did like the little girl, no matter what she actually was. She hated deceiving her, but orders were orders.

Lianne made a face at her statement, "Riley's not my parent, he's just Mommy's husband. My Daddy's Angel."

Megan set her down on the bed, reaching into her pocket for the box Riley had given her, "Well anyway, that's part of why I came to see you this morning. I know you say your daddy is an angel," as usual, she purposely misunderstood Lianne's comment, "so when I saw this, I just had to buy it for you." She handed her the small velvet box, "Go on open it."

Lianne's eyes were wide as she took the box, no one but Mommy had ever given her a gift before, "For me? Really?" She opened it slowly, gasping at the sight within, "Oh Megan, it's beautiful!" She'd never seen anything like it before, a small angel hanging from a silver chain. Her eyes filled with tears, an angel, just like Daddy, to watch over her.

Megan lifted the necklace out of the box and slipped it over Lianne's head, touched at her tears of joy. They both looked up as the door opened and Buffy walked in.

"Mommy, look at what Megan gave me!" Lianne practically shrieked as she launched herself across the room into her mother's arms.

Buffy laughed at her daughter's exuberance, catching her up to hug tightly before setting her on her hip and looking at the pendant. Her breath caught in her throat, an angel, she managed a smile, "It's beautiful, honey. Thank you Megan, you didn't have to do that."

"Yes I did," Megan answered truthfully. At Buffy's curious look, she continued hurriedly, "I just thought of Lianne when I saw it and had to give it to her."

Buffy smiled nodding, before setting Lianne back down, "Get your things together, honey, time to go home." She turned to the small dresser and grabbed the bottle of sunscreen with a sigh.

"Well, I'll see you guys later," Megan waved as she exited the room, Lianne throwing her kisses as she left.

"Come here now Lianne, I have to put the sunscreen on," Buffy called her over as the smell of coconut filled the room. Lianne stood dutifully as her mother slathered the sunscreen on her, chattering about the mindless things small children chatter about. Buffy finished with the sunscreen and picked up Lianne's small bag, "Don't forget your book and teddy." Lianne made a face, as if she'd forget such things, and followed her mother from the room.

Buffy paused at the command center and cleared her throat to get Riley's attention, "Umm, we're going now," she licked her lips nervously, "When will you be home?"

Riley's eyes caught a glimpse of the pendant around Liannes neck as she tried to hide behind her mother and smiled, "Tonight? I'll be late, probably very late. Something's come up that I have to deal with."

Buffy barely managed to keep the relief from her face, "OK, well then, I'll see you later," She turned away, only to be stopped by his hand on her arm.

"Hey, where's my kiss?" only she could see sadistic gleam in his eyes, to the rest of the people around them, they looked the perfect affectionate couple, the California Blond and the Iowa Farm Boy. He cradled her face in his hands, bending to capture her lips in a deep lingering kiss. She responded in kind, knowing she'd pay dearly if she didn't, hating herself at the surge of pleasure she felt at his touch.

She backed away as he released her and grabbed Lianne's hand tightly in an unconscious grip that would've broken any other six year olds hand, "Come on, honey, time to go."


Doyle and Cordelia crouched in the car as they saw the slim young woman and little girl exit the house down the street and walk towards where they were parked. The little girl was skipping happily in the soft light of the setting sun and they could see the woman smiling at her as she walked, carrying a softly playing radio. Cordelia lifted her cell phone, dialing quickly as Doyle slipped out of the car, "I'll follow on foot and give ye a buzz when they get to where ever they're going. Though from the look of things, its probably the park."

Cordelia nodded to him as she spoke into her phone, "Angel? They just left the house, just Buffy and Lianne. Doyle's following on foot but it looks like they're going to the park." She nodded to his reply, "OK, I'll wait here until I see you then pick up Doyle and head back to the mansion." She hung up with a sigh and fidgeted, waiting.


Buffy laughed at Lianne's antics as they walked to the park. It was so good to be out with her, just relaxing in the fresh air of the sunset. They had the park all to themselves, as she expected, after all, most parents made sure their kids were in by dark, she on the other hand took hers out then. She shook her head, trying to shake away the negative thoughts as she set the small radio down on a bench; it was a poor substitute for the chatter of other children but it was all she had. She watched as Lianne swarmed up the monkey bars lithely, still amazed that this small child was her daughter. After six years, she still couldn't believe she was a mother.

She shook her head as she sat on the bench, things had been good at first, she was actually happy. After the overhaul of the Initiative because of the whole Prof. Walsh/Adam thing, they were a pretty decent group to work with. But then... she winced remembering.


She sighed as she stepped into the house; she was wiped, patrol seemed to last forever. At least she'd get some sleep tonight; she hated taking advantage of Willow, asking her to baby-sit, but with her and Riley both out...

"Tired?"

Riley's voice coming out of the shadows made her jump. "Oh Riley! You scared me," she smiled, turning on a light, "I thought you were still working."

"In a way, I am," his voice was cold, clipped, the way he spoke to the new recruits.

She frowned, "You are?" her eyes took in the uniform he was still wearing, the prod hanging from his belt.

"Yes," he took a step closer to her, stepping into the pool of light cast by the lamp, "So when exactly were you planning on telling me?"

"Telling you?" her breath caught in her throat. She turned, avoiding his eyes.

"Yes, the truth. The truth about your daughter," he laughed harshly. "Did you really think I wouldn't find out? That I didn't already know? Dammit Buffy just what do you think all those tests were about?!?"

It was beginning to make sense, his growing coldness over the past few weeks, getting worse after Lianne was born, the odd looks he threw at the baby. She sighed, "Riley, I... I don't know what to tell you." She turned back and looked at him, her eyes wide, "I honestly didn't know until after she was born. I never thought..." Her head rocked with the force of the blow as he backhanded her.

"That's right! You never THOUGHT!"

She stared at him, shock slowing her reactions, he'd actually hit her, not sparring but to hurt. She felt the slow burn of anger build.

He grabbed her shoulders, shaking her, fingers biting deeply into her arms. She brought both hands up and around quickly, breaking his grip.

"How dare you?!?!" her eyes were bright with tears, it looked like she wouldn't have a happy home life after all. "Get your hands off of me!"

He responded with a quick hard punch to her face and as she reeled, swiftly brought up the prod from his belt and shocked her.

She screamed as the electricity ripped through her; her body convulsing violently. She lay on the floor, body contorting uncontrollably, as he stood over her.

"Did you really think that I wouldn't be prepared to deal with you?" He grabbed her, throwing her still twitching form over his shoulder and carrying her to the bedroom. "I think I need to explain the fact of life to you." He threw her down on the bed and, with a vicious grin, pulled out a couple of sets of handcuffs. He quickly chained her to the bedposts of the iron bed that she'd picked out while still in caught up in the happiness of being a newlywed.

The honeymoon was over.

He spent the night, expertly, methodically, beating her. Pinned to the bed, straining against the handcuffs, there was nothing she could do but suffer. And when he was done beating her... that was the worst... his gentle touch, cleaning her wounds, caressing her."You are mine Buffy, do you hear me?"

She turned her face from him, eyes brimming over with tears, tears of pain, tears of anger. "When I get free..." she grated through swollen lips.

"You'll do nothing," his voice was smug.

"That's what you think," she turned to glare up at him.

"Anything happens to me and you never see Lianne again. Its that simple," he smiled, that fresh clear smile, but his eyes were cold, "Dr. Masters has her right now, doing more tests. He's very curious about your little mutant. Some of the tests were, well, off the charts."

She paled, she knew some of the tests the Initiative performed. Lianne was so tiny, so helpless. "Riley, you can't..." she pleaded feeling something inside her start to wither.

"Oh but I can... and I will," he brought his face down to hers to kiss her roughly, brutally, before whispering harshly, "because you are mine. Now and forever and I will never let you go!"


She wiped away the tears brought on by the memories. That had been just the beginning... that was when her spirit began its slow death. Over the days and weeks that followed, his 'explanations' became less and less frequent as she learned to give in, to obey. The constant fear of what would happen to Lianne, the constant reminders that she was outgunned, outnumbered did its work. She was his, his wife, his slave. She swallowed a sob, shaking her head to drive out the memories and watched Lianne climb.

Watching her daughter calmed her, as it always did, reminded her of what she was protecting, why she had to give in to him. She slowly relaxed on the bench, letting the cool evening air and the soft sounds from the radio do its work. For this small space and time, there was no Riley, no threats, just her and her daughter.

She idly scanned the shadows. She'd noticed a young man on the street as she entered the park, but he must have just been a passerby because he was gone now, they were alone. She closed her eyes for a moment, sighing, searching for happier thoughts, focusing on the music coming from the radio.

sittin' on the beach
the island king of love
deep in fijian seas
deep in some blissful dream
where the goddess finally sleeps
in the lap of her lover
subdued in all her rage
and I am aglow with the taste
of the demons driven out
and happily replaced
with the presence of real love
the only one who saves

She sighed, opening her eyes to watch Lianne climb even higher. This song, it reminded her of Angel, of sitting in the Bronze and seeing him step out of the shadows to meet her.

I wanna dance with you
I see a world where people live and die with grace
the karmic ocean dried up and leave no trace
I wanna dance with you
I see a sky full of the stars that change our minds
and lead us back to a world we would not face

It reminded her of being with him in the mansion, working out together, of sparring with him, of being in his arms, of the wonderful night with him the first time they'd made love.

the stillness in your eyes
convinces me that I
I don't know a thing
and I been around the world and I've
tasted all the wines
a half a billion times
came sickened to your shores
you show me what this life is for

It reminded her of seeing him as Angelus, of fighting him, hating him, loving him. It reminded her of the pain in his eyes when she'd had to send him to Hell and the love in his eyes when he managed to return to her.

I wanna dance with you
I see a world where people live and die with grace
the karmic ocean dried up and leave no trace
I wanna dance with you
I see a sky full of the stars that change our minds
and lead us back to a world we would not face

It reminded her of prom night, what she expected to be the worst night of her life; no date, mayhem on the menu, feeling alone in the middle of a crowd. She smiled sadly, remembering, the umbrella, Jonathan's speech, finding out that she'd made a difference. And then, Angel stepping out of the shadows to dance with her, to hold her.

in this altered state
full of so much pain and rage
you know we got to find a way to let it go

It reminded her of the him standing in the smoke, the flashing lights of Graduation Night, of seeing him, then of him being gone. It reminded her of a night, seven years ago, when she clung to him, when he was there in her moment of need, and of the gentleness of his touch.

sittin' on the beach
the island king of love
deep in fijian seas
deep in the heart of it all
where the goddess finally sleeps
after eons of war and lifetimes
she smilin' and free, nothin' left
but a cracking voice and a song, oh lord

She scanned the shadows, pausing to stare at a familiar shape, her hopes surged for a moment, then she shook her head muttering, "Don't be silly, you're just seeing things. Getting yourself all lost in yesterday."

I wanna dance with you
I see a world where people live and die with grace
the karmic ocean dried up and leave no trace
I wanna dance with you
I see a sky full of the stars that change our minds
and lead us back to a world we would not face
we would not face
we would not face
we would not face
we would not face
we would not face

The shape moved, slowly steadily, that sauntering gait she knew so well, that same black leather jacket, flaring away from his hips. She stood slowly, eyes wide, her face pale, it couldn't be... it just couldn't.

She couldn't move, he was standing in front of her, inches away and she couldn't move. Her eyes were bright with unshed tears and she realized she was trembling. His eyes, Lianne's eyes stared down at her; she thought she would drown in them. She felt herself sway towards him, knew in an instant she would be in his arms again.

"Hello Buffy," his voice was soft.

She fought to control herself, looking down at the ground, avoiding his eyes. "Angel," her voice was barely a whisper, she cleared her throat trying again. "Angel, what are you doing back in Sunnydale?"

He gazed down at her bowed head, hiding his confusion, this wasn't the Buffy he remembered. This young woman was timid, nervous. "I'm, umm, working. Someone here called me for help."

"Oh," she blinked rapidly, trying to stop the tears from racing down her cheeks as the faint hope that he was here to see her disappeared in a flash of pain.

"Mommy! Watch Me!" Lianne cried out across the playground.

He turned to look over at the monkey bars and stared in wonder as the small girl flung herself across space before nimbly catching hold and flipping in a somersaulting dismount.

Buffy gasped, "Lianne, be careful!" She shook her head in dismay at her daughter's recklessness as the small girl ran over, laughing, to hug her. "You're trying to scare me to death aren't you?" She was grateful for the distraction, maybe now she could deal with Angel. She looked up at him to see him staring at Lianne, eyes wide and full of emotion.

"Lianne?" he whispered, he looked at the little girl in wonder, it was Buffy, a tiny little Buffy with rich dark hair and deep brown eyes. He felt himself getting lost in those eyes and slowly raised his own to meet Buffy's hazel ones.

Lianne smiled up at the tall man, there was something about him, something special, she could tell. "Hello. Are you a friend of Mommy's?"

"You could say that," he felt a surge of love, of protectiveness rush through him. He smiled as he knelt in front of her to look her in the eye, "My name is Angel."

"Angel?" she breathed, "Daddy?" Her voice was a tiny whisper full of hope. He thought it would break his heart.

She stared at him, wide eyed with wonder, her arms lifting in the signal all children used, pleading silently for him to lift her up, to hold her. He had just begun to reach out to her when he sensed it, a hint of blood, old blood pooled in a bruise. His eyes scanned her quickly, focusing sharply on her upper arm, on the marks showing now as the sleeve of her T-shirt slid towards her shoulder, the marks of a man's hand where it clutched the small girl with far too much force. He picked her up, rising from his crouch, pulling the sleeve higher to examine the marks, rage swelling within him.

Buffy flinched at the sound of his low growl, her eyes widening at the rage in his eyes as they stared at the marks on Lianne's arm. She took a step towards him only to have him back away, holding Lianne close and away from her.

"It was Ri..." Lianne blurted.

"Its nothing Angel, nothing at all." Buffy interrupted quickly, fear in her eyes at the reminder of her husband and his 'explanation' of what would happen if anyone ever found out how things truly were at home. She scanned the playground furtively, thoughts of Riley and the Initiative pushing her momentary joy at seeing Angel out of her mind. The area was regularly patrolled, Riley made sure of it. If he found them here, with Angel... she couldn't finish the thought.

Angel's eyes narrowed as he studied her, the way her eyes twitched as they scanned the area, the tension in her body. He'd seen it all before, hundreds of times in LA, the despair deep in her eyes and the fear made him sure of it. His jaw clenched as the rage in his soul rose to rival that of the demon within him, someone had shattered her spirit with abuse. He cuddled Lianne tenderly against him, his voice a husky whisper, "Buffy, let me help you."


Riley looked up from his paperwork as alarms started going off in the command center. "Sir," a young soldier stood in front of him, "Sensor 14 has sent an alert, HSD in close proximity. According to the readings, it's a vampire sir."

Riley smiled, leaping to his feet, "Thank you soldier." He strode quickly to the command center grabbing the microphone and snapping terse commands, "A-Squad, B-Squad, Full Alert! I repeat, Full Alert! Lucifer Has Arrived! I repeat Lucifer Has Arrived!" He grabbed his gear and raced to the motor pool, joining the rest of A-Squad as they scrambled into the waiting jeeps.

"B-Squad reports they're moving into position, sir!"

He nodded in response as he leaped into his jeep, "MOUNT UP!" he shouted, feeling the rush of the hunt as he jumped into his jeep. "MOVE 'EM OUT!" He glanced down at the tracker mounted on the dashboard and laughed as the line of jeeps raced out into the deepening night.


"You want me to WHAT? Yer outta yer bleedin' mind ye little mick." Spike growled as he turned away, slamming his empty glass down on the bar,

"BARKEEP! I need a refill!"

"Look here, don't think of it as helping Angel or Buffy, think of it as hurtin' Riley and his goons in green," Doyle licked his lips nervously. 'The Big Bad,' as Spike liked to call himself, was only harmless to humans, if

Spike found out about him being half-demon... Well, he really hated the sight of his own blood.

Spike nodded at the bartender who quickly refilled his glass. "You want me to take on the Initiative and that goofy farmboy that the Slayer married? To fight alongside my soul infested Sire? Yer outta yer bleedin' mind!" He raised the glass and quickly scoffed down the whisky before turning to look back at Doyle, "Beside, 'aven't you 'eard, I'm jes bloody useless when it comes to 'umans cuz of this BLEEDIN' CHIP IN ME 'EAD!" He ended with a roar, nose to nose with Doyle.

Doyle coughed, backing up at step, "Well... actually, what if I were ta tell ye that we may have somethin' ta help ye wit' that little problem?" He raised his eyebrows in question, thinking furiously, 'At least I hope we do.'

Spike stared for a second then bellowed, "BARKEEP! A refill here and one fer my new friend." He turned back to Doyle with a feral grin, "Awright, ye got my attention, let's 'ere it."


"...so that's the situation," Cordelia grimaced as she looked at them. It was like old times in the library, sitting with Willow, Oz, Xander and Anya, except back then, well she hated being seen with them, now, well, it wasn't quite so bad. "We need more firepower and Spike is our best choice at the moment. If there was only some way to fix him so he could fight this soldier goons."

"I wish I was still a demon, I could deal with Riley in a heartbeat," Anya growled, "He's exactly the kind of male that deserved a visit from me."

"But if you were still a demon, we wouldn't be together," Xander pouted.

Cordelia rolled her eyes, some things never changed.

"Wait a second though, Spike and Angel are a tough pair, but these soldiers, they have the blasty guns and other implements of pain. How are we supposed to stop those?" Xander exclaimed.

"Well... that's the thing, I was hoping you could tell me." Cordelia smiled hopefully, "Tell me you guys know a way to handle their guns."

"Well," Willow frowned thoughtfully, still thinking about Spike, "It is a chip, if it were reprogrammed..."

"Chip? Reprogrammed? That's it! Reprogrammed!" Cordelia beamed, "You were always so smart, a freak but smart. So how do we reprogram Spike's chip?"

"Can't, chips are hardwired," Oz spoke up quietly.

"Sure we can," Willow smiled slowly, "Magically. I can cast a spell on it to modify its programming. It shouldn't be that tough." She rose from the couch and stepped over to a large trunk, opening it and pulling out her ritual tools. "And I should be able to make the same spell disable their guns. After all, it's all just energy. It shouldn't take long. So what exactly do we want his new programming to be?"


A small sob escaped her, "Help me? Oh no, I'm long past help at this point." She bit her lip and reached out toward Lianne, "Come on, honey, its time for us to go home."

"No!" Lianne's face was set stubbornly as she clung to Angel, "I don't wanna go!" Tears started to trail down her cheeks. "I wanna stay wif Daddy!" She turned her head to stare deeply into his eyes, "Please Daddy, take us away, take us away from Riley."

"Lianne..." her voice cracked as her own tears threatened to flow, "we have to go."

"NO!" she buried her face in Angel's shoulder, crying softly, "please Daddy..."

"Buffy," he reached out and gently cupped her chin in his hand, "I want to help. It's why I'm here. Lianne called me." He swallowed feeling tears springing to his own eyes, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I... I..." she turned away, face buried in her hands, shoulders shaking as the tears finally escaped.

He felt his heart breaking listening to the both of them sobbing. He touched her shoulder gently and turned her, pulling her tightly against his chest. "Hush, hush, I'm here now..." He rested his chin on her head, fighting back tears of his own as he held them, emotions churning within him.

The feel of his arm holding her close, the feel of his chest against her cheek, the feel of his chin resting on her head, they were all things she'd only dreamed about for the past six years. His gentle touch was all the was needed to finally break through all the pain and she cried as she hadn't in years, since that night so long ago.

He continued to soothe her, murmuring softly, "I'm taking you out of here, to LA. You can stay with me while you figure things out."

Lianne lifted her head at his words, sniffling, "Daddy? You're gonna take us away?"

"Yes Lianne, I'm going to take you away," he smiled tenderly, still amazed at the word 'Daddy'.

"Well, well, well, what have we here? A little family reunion maybe?" They all started as the sound of Riley's voice rang across the playground. "And why wasn't I invited? After all, WIFE, I am part of the family, aren't I?" his voice became threatening, "Or do I need to explain it to you again."

Buffy gasped and pulled out of Angel's embrace to stare at her husband, "Riley? What are... This isn't what it..." she stumbled over the words scanning the park for sign of the soldiers she was sure he brought with him, suddenly aware of just how vulnerable they all were.

"I have to put you down honey, stay close to Mommy," Angel smiled reassuringly as he slowly set Lianne down, his eyes unreadable as they rested on his adversary.

Lianne stood between her parents, eyes wide as she stared at Riley, biting her lip nervously as she saw him stride forward approaching them. "Mommy?" her voice was frightened.

Buffy took a step towards him, away from Angel, "No, Riley you don't need to..." her voice broke and she swallowed heavily, "Its just a chance meeting. Angel, he's... he's..." her hands fluttered nervously, trembling visibly.

"Visiting family," Angel finished for her, "So, you're Riley, I've heard quite a bit about you." He spread his hands slightly, stepping away from Lianne and Buffy.

Buffy took another step closer to Riley, seeing his jaw clench at Angel's subtle taunt. "We were just coming home Riley. Weren't we Lianne?" She scanned the edges of the park, looking for any sign of the backup she knew he brought with him. Angel didn't know what the Initiative was capable of, but she did.

Lianne stood, torn between staying near Buffy or Angel, they were both moving away from her, flanking Riley, each trying to distract him from the other. Her lip quivered as she stared at Riley, she'd never seen him this angry before.

Riley's eyes rested on Lianne, "Is that right? Were you and Mommy on your way home?" He made a small hand signal and behind him at the edges of the park, soldiers began to appear. "Well Lianne?" He growled.

"Riley..." Buffy pleaded softly as she took another small step towards him.

Lianne's face was defiant, "NO! I'm going wif my DADDY!"

Riley's face darkened with fury and he lunged across the distance separating them to scoop Lianne into his arms. His sudden movement caught both Angel and Buffy off guard and even their supernatural reflexes could not intercept him, as Lianne screamed in sudden terror.

Buffy skidded to stop, staring at him wide-eyed with horror. "Put her down Riley, please," she whispered.

"Set her down," Angel's voice was soft and even but there was no mistaking the threat.

"Buffy, get back over there," Riley jerked his head, indicating the line of soldiers standing behind him. "A-Squad, take Summers in custody! B-Squad," he grinned evilly, his arms holding Lianne tightly, one arm wrapped around her head, "Angel is yours. Fire at will!"

Angel tensed, ready to dodge as a number of the soldiers aimed their rifles his direction, then smiled as one by the electronic weapons shorted out.

"Naughty, naughty," Willow's voice called out as she and the rest of Buffy and Angel's friends stepped into the light of the playground. She held a glowing orb in her hand and smiled. "If you're not going to play nice, well your toys just won't work anymore."

Buffy stood frozen then turned slowly to see her old friends as they stood together behind her. They were all there, Giles, Willow, Oz, Xander, Anya even Cordelia, Wesley and Angel's friend Doyle. Her eyes filled with tears as she realized they were all here to help her. She took a deep breath and with a new strength in her eyes, turned back to glare at Riley, "Put her down Riley."

"Oh no Buffy, just because your little friends are here don't think this ends that easily," he growled, arms tightening around the terrified Lianne, "We still outnumber you. You little Scooby Gang was never strong on the combat end of things."

A sardonic voice rang out across the playground, "Well, well, well, looks like playtime. Can anyone join in?" Spike casually strode out of the shadows to Angel's side, grinning as he tossed peanut butter M&M's into his mouth. "

"ello 'Daddy'" he smirked, "Would ye like a 'and wit' these blokes?"

Angel never took his eyes from Riley as he greeted Spike with a nod, "You tell me, last I heard you were having, well shall we say performance issues?"

"Oh no," he gloated, as he put on his 'game face,' yellow eyes gleaming, as he tossed the empty wrapper on the ground, "Wendy the Witch back there, she modified my little chip problem. The boys in green jest don't seem very 'uman to me anymore." He left Angel's side to meet the line of soldiers with a loud roar, "Who wants a piece of 'ostile 17!"

Angel smiled at Riley at the sounds of Spike doing what he did best, "Well, I think that takes care of the outnumbered side of things. If I know Spike, and I do, he's got a bit of aggression to work out of his system. Now why don't you just put Lianne down before things get any worse for you."

Riley licked his lips nervously, feeling himself losing control of the situation, "Back off! Buffy, you're coming with me," he shifted his grip on Lianne slightly, "I can break her neck with hardly more than a twitch!"

Lianne hung in his arms, eyes wide, knowing that Mommy wouldn't fight back while Riley held her, she had to get free, to help. She saw the monster Daddy called Spike kick one of the soldiers who had grabbed him from behind, breaking free. She swallowed, Mommy got so mad at her when she'd fought with the other kids, but this was a special case, at least she hoped it was.

Angel was watching Lianne and Riley carefully and could see that the small girl was up to something and took a step towards Riley, his hands outstretched towards him, "I said, set her down"

Lianne shrieked and drove her tiny feet backwards violently, catching Riley dead in the groin. He collapsed to his knees, groaning in agony, his arms releasing the small girl.

Angel leaped towards them, snatching Lianne from Riley's loosened grip and rolling away, cradling her in his arms, "Got you!"

Buffy turned to Angel from where she still stood, stunned by what was happening around her. "Lianne? Is she...?" her voice was soft and calm, to her, it almost sounded as if it was someone else speaking. At his nod, she turned slowly scanning the playground. Spike, Xander, Oz, Giles, Wesley and Doyle were dealing with the soldiers as Cordy and Willow watched, Willow still holding her glowing orb, apparently keeping the Initiative's weapons disabled. Riley knelt, whitefaced with pain, straining to breathe from Lianne's attack. Her eyes narrowed as she gazed at him, anger swelling within her, bursting through chains of pain, of fear, that he'd placed on her soul. She stepped closer to him, looking down on him, "I'm sorry, did no one EXPLAIN to you that Lianne is a very strong little girl?" She slowly reached out her left hand to caress his cheek, "Did she hurt you Riley? Did little helpless Lianne hurt the big bad soldier?"

"Buffy..." he gasped, still trying to breathe, straining not to vomit, the waves of agony still rushing through him, "Don't..."

She frowned, "Don't? Hmm, as I recall, I've said 'don't' quite a few times in the past six years," she shook her head as her hand knotted in his hair, holding his head still, "Didn't do Lianne or I a damned bit of good." She pulled back her right arm slowly, "It won't for you either." Her fist slammed into his face, full strength, powered by years of pain and despair.

Riley hung limply from her grip on his hair, nose shattered and bleeding, barely conscious. She looked at him for a moment, then let him go, "You're not worth my time." And turned to Angel, to Lianne, to her family.

Lianne squirmed out of Angel's grasp and rushed to her, tears of joy running down her face, "MOMMY!"

Buffy swept the little girl into her arms and hugged her tightly, gazing at Angel, eyes bright with her own tears of happiness, of freedom, "Thank you."

Angel started to smile, then his face changed, brow bulging, lips drawn back from his fangs in a feral snarl as he lunged forwards seeing Riley lurching for her back, knife drawn.

Reflexes she had forgotten she had made her spin wildly, leg coming up in a spinning kick, striking Riley in the ribs and driving him directly into Angel's path, still cradling Lianne in her arms.

Angel grabbed the outstretched arm, twisting it violently, shattering the elbow and shoulder as he flung Riley's body over his hip to crash into the ground face first. With a quick glance to make sure Buffy had Lianne's eyes averted, he almost casually reached down and snapped Riley's neck. "Never leave an enemy at your back." He shook himself, his human face emerging once more.

Buffy looked around the playground, Spike was leaning on the monkey bars picking at his still demonic teeth. Her other friends were standing together, checking each other for injuries as Willow dismissed her spell and leaned against Oz, her eyes showing the strain of the long casting. There were bodies scattered across the pavement, she didn't want to look at their faces. She closed her eyes, burying her face in Lianne's hair, shoulders shaking as tears of relief began to flow.

Angel walked over to Spike and raised an eyebrow, half smiling at his vampiric 'son.'

"Don't give me that face you Soul-Infested Wanker," Spike growled, face returning to his human visage. "I only helped to get this bloody chip fixed. I 'aven't 'ad a decent meal in years and I figured it was about time I had some fresh 'uman blood fer a change."

Angel just didn't reply, just continued to smile knowingly.

"Oh Sod Off!" Spike turned and walked out of the playground, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it, ranting to whoever would listen, "When will they bloody remember I'M EVIL! I DON"T LIKE THEM!"

Xander called out, "See you at Harry's on Friday Spike! Don't forget, it's your turn to buy!"

Buffy stared in amazement as Spike turned back to wave in acknowledgement. Lianne squirmed in her arms until she was set down to stand in the circle of friends, of family surrounding them.

Lianne looked up at all the adults, eyes wide, "Wow! I have a big family don't I?" She grinned impishly, "So which one of you are going to start spoiling me first?"

They all burst out laughing as Buffy flushed bright red, embarrassed, "LIANNE!"

Angel picked up the giggling little girl and tossed her into the air, then set her on his shoulders, "That would be me you little imp!" He reached out a hand to Buffy, his smile tender, "Come on, we have a family reunion to continue."

She took his hand and smiled, surrounded by her friends, her family, she felt something deep inside her start to grow once more and realized that maybe, just maybe, she did have a chance at happiness after all.

The End

 

<< back