"Calm Before the Storm"

Author: Indie
Email: indiefic@hotmail.com

"But if your sire hasn’t shown up by now, how can you be certain that he is coming at all?" Giles asked the frazzled vampire.

The two were alone in the library.  They’d been going over the events of Darla’s death detail by detail.  Giles had also been grilling William about his past and his relationships with Darla, Angelus, and the Master.

"You. Don’t. Understand." Will bit out slowly.  "Waiting is part of the game.  I was half hoping he’d be in such a rage over The Bitch being dusted that he’d just charge into town looking for blood.  That would have been easier.  When he’s in a rage he’s weaker, more apt to be careless.  He’s apparently not, it’s been six weeks and he has yet to show."

"Are you afraid of him allying himself with the Master?"

"The Master?  No.  Angelus always hated his grandsire.  He was never one to spend any time in the presence of a male more powerful than himself," William explained.

"Then what do you suspect he’s waiting on?"  Giles asked.

The watcher paid close attention as the ensouled vampire produced a book.  It was very old, wrapped carefully in a soft cloth.  Giles gasped as Will removed the cloth.

"It’s the Codex," Will stated unnecessarily.

"This has been missing for centuries," Giles noted in awe.  "How did you find it?"

"I have my sources."

Giles suddenly shook his head as if distracted by some thought.  He looked at Will.

"You think the Codex has something to do with Angelus taking his time getting to Sunnydale?"

"Yes."

"Please elaborate."

The vampire’s face became a mask of agony for a few long moments.  Sighing deeply, he looked at the watcher blinking back tears.

"She’s going to die."

"What?  Who?"  Giles asked, confused.

"Buffy.  The Codex states in no uncertain terms that the slayer will face the Master, and that she will die in the process."

Giles grabbed the book, carefully reading the page that William had marked.  It was there, in ancient script.  The entire prophecy of Buffy’s death.  Giles seemed to crumple as he sat back in the chair.

"Angelus will wait until the slayer has fallen.  Then he’ll come for me," William explained.  "The bastard has taken out more than his share of slayers in the past, but he’s not stupid.  He won’t push his luck.  I’m sure he’s read the Codex.  He knows it has been foretold.  He’ll wait for this to play out between Buffy and the Master and then he’ll come in for the scraps."

Giles wasn’t really paying attention.  Right now Angelus was the least of his problems.  He’d just been told his slayer was going to die.  It was irrefutable, it came from the Codex.  The Codex was never wrong.  It was the most complete accurate listing of prophecies pertaining to slayers.

Will was chagrinned.  He’d been careless with his information.  He should have broken it to the watcher more gently.  As he waited for Giles to recover he became aware of another presence in the room.  Turning, he found Buffy staring at the two of them.  From the expression on her face, it was apparent she’d heard the entire conversation.

"Well, at least I don’t have to worry about Angelus killing me then," she said, laughing nervously.

Buffy turned and ran from the room, Will close on her heels.

It was blocks before he caught up with her, and then it was only because she had stopped.  She was on her knees in the middle of the playground, hyperventilating.  Will approached her slowly, not wanting to frighten her.

"Luv," he said softly, dropping to his knees in front of her.

She raised her head to look at him.  Her face was terror and misery and pain.  He swallowed convulsively.  He couldn’t lose her, he wouldn’t.  She was the first thing in more than a century that made him feel even a glimmer of what it was like to be alive.

"I’m only sixteen.  I don’t want to die," she said softly.

He moved forward awkwardly, intent on embracing her.  She shrugged out of his grasp, getting to her feet again.  She looked at him for a long time before turning and walking away slowly.  He didn’t want to let her go, but it was what she needed.  How could this child handle all of this responsibility?  He wanted so badly to make it go away, to tell her it had all been a bad dream.  He wanted to let her wake up tomorrow as a normal girl.  It would never happen.

He felt every inch the coward he knew he was and he hated himself for it.  The irritating little boy Buffy insisted on being friends with had been the one to alert him.  He should have know.  He should have felt it when the Master was released.

Running into the large underground chamber they found her.

Will stood behind the slayer as they surveyed the Master’s remains.  She’d done it.  She’d won.  As everyone started filing out, intending to catch whatever was left of the Spring Fling, he took her hand.

She smiled warmly at him.  On an impulse he bent forward and kissed her.  It was like heaven.

"I thought you were going to spend the summer in L.A. with your father," Will said after coming upon the slayer in a dark cemetery in June.

"I was supposed to," she admitted.  "I just thought maybe there would be some reason for me to stay in Sunnydale this summer."

"Way I understood it, you were supposed to be visiting your friends."

"I am.  I have friends in Sunnydale."

"Do you now?"

"Yes."

Will couldn’t help it, he pulled the petite blonde into his arms, kissing her soundly.  She was magnificent.  So full of life and love, so trusting.  He felt drunk on her innocence, her goodness.

"Come on, Pet.  I’ll walk you home.  There’s all sorts of nasty things out tonight."

Hand in hand they walked back to her house.

The End

<< back