"Desperate Measures"

Author: Lynx
Email: lmentus@rochester.rr.com
Notes: Lyrics to "The Power of Goodbye" by Madonna.


Spike stood in the yard, looking up at the lighted window.  He could see the Slayer's shadow as she moved around in her room.  He shook his head and a determined look crossed his face. < Now or never, mate. >  He grasped the branches of the tree and hauled himself up until he was facing her bedroom.

The radio was playing softly and Buffy was humming as she put her clothes away.  She was dressed for bed in a rose colored silk chemise that barely skimmed her thighs.  As she bent over in front of the dresser, Spike caught a glimpse of bare buttocks encased in a thong.  His mouth went dry at the sight of her; he was tempted to turn around and leave before she saw him. At that moment, the Slayer froze as if she sensed him and whirled to face the window.  A startled look came over her as she crossed the room to greet him.

"Spike!  What are you doing here?" She looked perplexed, but not angry so he relaxed a bit and grinned.

"Hello, Slayer."

He let his gaze drift downward as he thoroughly looked her over. "Just wanted to see what was so interesting up here."

"Great. First Angel, now you.  What is this, the neighborhood peep show?" She flushed at the thought of someone besides Angel watching her disrobe. Realization dawned as she looked at him. "Ha! I knew you could walk. You didn't fool me for a minute.  Do the others know?"

Spike shook his head and smiled ruefully. "You're the only one who knows my secret, pet.  I'm trusting you to keep it."

Buffy laughed in disbelief.  "You're trusting ME?  I thought we were mortal enemies?  What changed?"

Spike's face grew serious for a moment.  "I did.  I changed."  After an awkward pause, Spike continued on. "So, Slayer, you going to be polite and invite me in, then?"  Buffy just raised her eyebrows and stared back at him.  " Right, that was a stupid question, but you can't blame me for trying.  I took a big risk in coming here at all."

"Why did you?  Come here, I mean.  And what if Angel sees you?"

Spike stared into her eyes; he couldn't quite tell what color they were.  Brown, green, a little of both?  He was having trouble focusing on his mission at the moment.  He cleared his throat and tried to remember why he was there.

"Angel is busy right now.  I have a while before I have to worry about him. Actually, he's the reason I'm here.  I know what's going on with you two.  I suspect you'd like him out of your life.  I bloody well know I want him out of mine."  Spike looked away for a moment, gathering his courage.  "So, luv, I was thinking maybe we could help each other out.  Team up, as it were."

Buffy looked at him in shock.   "Let me get this straight.  You want to help me get rid of Angel?  What's in it for you?"  She couldn't believe he was even here or that she was actually listening to him.  This whole thing with Angel was clouding her judgement, big time.

"What's in it for me? Well, let's see, Angel's fuckin' wacked and I can't stand having him around. You've seen the bodies.  He's completely round the bend.  He's become a liability, you know?  All this talk about destroying the world.  Please!  I need to be free of the bullshit.  Free to do what I want without him hanging over my shoulder."  There, it was out, he said it.

"And Drusilla isn't wacked?  Hello!  She's like, the queen psycho of Sunnydale!  What would she say if she knew you were here?  Aren't you a little scared?"  Buffy stared back at him insolently, daring him to fight back.

< Want to play rough, do you? Well, we'll see about that. >  Spike decided it was time to burst the Slayer's bubble.

"Dru's fucking Angel right now as we speak.  I bloody well don't care what she would say."  Buffy gasped and looked up at him, the hurt evident in her face.  He smirked back at her and answered without thinking. "What? Did you think he was pining away for you?  Angel doesn't care where he sticks it. He probably screws his food after they're dead."  The Slayer exploded in rage, catching him off guard.

"GET OUT! I HATE YOU! YOU BASTARD!" Buffy screamed at him and started looking for a stake.  She began throwing pillows, books, whatever was handy.

"Slayer-wait! I'm so-"  Spike threw his arms over his head and lost his balance. He tumbled out of the tree, just managing to miss the pointy end of a branch on his way down.  A  hairbrush came flying out of the window and hit him in the head.  < Stupid, fucking idiot! >  He looked up and saw the Slayer, tears streaming down her angry, red face.  He was surprised to feel a pang of remorse for his thoughtlessness.  He called up to her softly, so the neighbors wouldn't hear.

"I'm sorry, Slayer! You had to realize that he isn't Angel anymore.  Not the Angel you knew. You can't possibly still want him!"

"You shut up!  Just- just go away and leave me alone!  I don't want to hear your sickening lies!  If I catch you here again, you're dust!"  She slammed the window shut and closed the curtains.

"Oh, I'll be back.  When you're ready to listen, I'll be here, baby.  Count on it."  Spike turned and walked away, trying not to feel annoyed with himself for having blown the whole deal.

Buffy turned from the window sobbing uncontrollably.  Angel-and Drusilla! It couldn't be true, could it?   < Who am I kidding? Of course it's true > Spike's words echoed in her head. "You can't possibly still want him!" < But I do. God help me. Spike's right. He's not Angel anymore.  He's an animal, a monster, a-oh god! What have I been doing?  How could I still want him? What's wrong with me? >   She threw herself on the bed and curled into a fetal position, trying to shut out the thoughts that plagued her. Her sobs alternated with the litany-"Giles, help me, please, Giles-"


You were my lesson I had to learn
I was your fortress you had to burn

Spike paced in front of the mausoleum, chain smoking and muttering to himself.  It had been a week since his ill-fated visit to the Slayer and the situation at the mansion was getting worse.  Angel and Drusilla were concocting some insanity involving a demon of the upper hierarchy.  The demon could, in all likelihood, suck the world into hell-thereby ending his immortal existence.  He wasn't about to give up everything he'd worked for these past two hundred years.  Until Angel had come back, he'd been having a grand old time.  Now all that was about to go straight into the toilet.

< Come on, Slayer.  You've had a week to cry about Angel.  It's time to get your shapely ass back on the job. >  He heard a sound behind him and sniffed the air.  He smiled as the Slayer's scent filled his nostrils. Spike could feel himself harden and he ran his tongue over his elongated fangs.  < Okay, get a grip, Spike my boy.  It's the fuckin' Slayer. Just make the deal and be done with it. >

"Spike."  He turned and looked at her, a golden vision in the moonlight. She was wearing her usual skimpy attire-black camisole, no bra? and a miniskirt. A short jacket, (opened, naturally) completed the ensemble. Spike let out a soft groan.  Did the girl own anything that covered her? How was he supposed to think while looking at that?  He shook his head and plastered an impudent grin on his face.

"Slayer!  Back on duty I see.  I missed you, ya know.  Quite boring, the last week.  I hate being bored, remember?"  Buffy's lips twitched, she couldn't suppress a small smile.

"I remember. Your impatience usually lands you in hot water.  You really must learn how to mellow out. Maybe you should take up meditation."

"Nope. Can't sit still for that long.  Never could.  Why do you think I'm out of the chair already?"

"Have you ever considered Ritalin?"  Buffy was enjoying this, it helped her get back in the game.  The past week had been horrendous.  She hadn't been able to confide in Giles.  She'd tried to tell him about her dreams, her strange behaviour, but each time she opened her mouth she just froze.  It was Giles for god's sake.  She couldn't discuss anything sexual with him. It was mortifying enough that he knew she was no longer a virgin.  She loved Giles, she really did, but she couldn't bear to have him think that she was perverted in some way.  How else could she explain her desire for Angelus?

In the end she was alone, as usual.  She had cried until her body couldn't produce any more fluid and then she had forced herself to face the cold, hard truth.  Angel was a monster.  He would kill her if she let him get close enough.  It was as simple as that.  Now she figured it was time to see what Spike had in mind.  He was a demon, but a straightforward demon.  He was always upfront about trying to kill her; she didn't think games were his bag.  So, here she was, playing Let's Make a Deal with a vampire.  Her life just got weirder and weirder.

Spike was staring at her with those intense eyes.  What the hell color were they, anyway?  Blue, gray, green?  She had mostly seen them as yellow, when he was vamped.  They were kind of nice, like this.   < Where the hell did that come from? >

"Okay Spike, talk.  What's going on with Angel and Drusilla and what did you have in mind?"  She looked determined, back in fighting trim.   < Now this is the Slayer I know and love. I mean love to hate, of course. Watch it, Spike or you'll be sharing that padded cell with Angel and Dru. >

"It's like this.  Angel dug up some demon, Acathla.  He's a higher up, with a unique power.  He can create a kind of a vortex.  Quite literally, he can suck the world into hell."  Buffy looked at him in shock. "Angel and Dru are completely tickled about their little plan to destroy the world.  They think hell sounds just peachy."

"And you don't?  Aren't you a demon, too?"  Spike barked out a laugh. He thought for a moment, as if considering his answer.

"Hell, yes I'm a demon. I don't make excuses.  I won't deny that I like the rush you get when you feed. There's nothing like holding the power of life and death in your hands, luv-you know that.  And I don't ever have to feel guilty about it.  However, that doesn't mean that I'm a savage.  I've enjoyed the last two hundred years, why shouldn't there be two hundred more? I mean, unlike Angel, I have all of my marbles and I like my so-called life and yes, before you start laughing, I know that's the name of a tv show- I do get MTV, you know."  Buffy covered her mouth with her hand to keep from interrupting him.  "Anyway, why should I give all of this up?  Who knows what hell is like?  Down there I'd be just another peon.  And if it's boring, I wouldn't be able to stand it."

Buffy did understand in a way.  She, too, knew the rush she got from dusting vamps and defeating demons. And yes, she did get antsy when there was no action.  Was it so different?  And she did need to do something about Angel, fast.  She didn't think she had the strength to do it on her own.

"What's the plan?  You do have a plan, don't you?"  Spike ducked his head and looked up at her through lowered lashes.  Buffy was startled to realize that he had a boyish charm when he was like this.  < Okay, Angel has totally screwed with your mind.  You've lost it, really. >

"I was thinking that first we need to throw Angel and Dru off balance. I've been keeping her out of my head so far, but sooner or later she's going to realize something's up."  He took a step closer, his eyes burning bright as he advanced.  Buffy reached into her pocket and grasped her stake, feeling reassured by its presence.  She fought the impulse to take a step back.

"Throw them off balance 'how'?"  Her eyes narrowed suspiciously.  She could feel the cold of the mausoleum wall behind her. Huh, she was trapped anyway. Spike stopped just in front of her, too close for comfort, but not touching.

"Angel is still obsessed with you, no matter how many times he shags Dru. He's very territorial, like a dog with a bone."

"Oh, that's flattering-thank you so much."  Spike snarled at her impatiently.

"Let me finish!  How did Angel ever get to homeplate if you never shut up?" Buffy opened her mouth to protest, but realized she'd only be proving his point.  She settled for rolling her eyes and motioned for him to continue. Spike put his hand on the wall next to her and leaned closer.

"What do you think would happen if Angel smelled another man on you?  He already watches that obnoxious boy you hang with like a hawk, what if someone else were thrown into the mix?  Or, better yet, what if they both smelled you on me?  Then we'd get them both with one shot."  Buffy stared at him as if he had grown two heads.

"And how do you propose to get my scent on you?  I hope you plan on borrowing my perfume, 'cause that's as close as you're going to get."  She was starting to get worried now.  Fighting she could handle, but not this.

"Just hear me out, luv.  If Angel thinks you're over him, he'll be so rabid that he'll lose sight of what he's planning.  He can't stand to think that he isn't the center of everyone's universe.  It will distract him enough to give us the advantage.  Especially if the man you're involved with is me. It might be enough to short circuit Dru, as well."  He made his statement calmly, knowing that if he showed any eagerness at all, she'd stake him where he stood.

"Just what exactly do you mean by involved? One creature of the night boyfriend was enough for this lifetime, thank you.  I don't think my system could stand another."  Spike snorted and rolled his eyes, that famous impatience rearing its ugly head.

"Grow up, Slayer!  You know what I mean by involved and there's only one type of scent that Angel will respond to.  The scent of your arousal and the fact that I made it happen."

"Not too full of yourself, are you?  What makes you think you could ever arouse in me the desire to do anything except dust you?  A desire that's growing, by the way, with every sentence you utter."  She couldn't see herself with anyone but Angel.  Noone else could make her feel the things that he made her feel, not Xander, not Spike, not anyone.  Ever.   < Yeah, you talk a good game, Summers. But are you willing to put it to the test? > Spike watched the conflicting emotions flit across her face and forced himself to remain silent.  He could see her interest and he knew that she wasn't ready to admit it to herself yet.

Buffy weighed her options.  Spike was as different from Angel as night was to day, that was a 'good' thing, right?  And his human face wasn't really hard on the eyes.  He had a personality, didn't brood too much, liked a good time. So he had trouble sitting still, so what?  Just a vampire with ADHD. She could handle it, couldn't she?

Spike decided to speak up again. He had to remind himself that she was practically a virgin.  He measured each word carefully, knowing that he almost had her.

"I've had two hundred years of experience where women are concerned, pet. I think I'm capable of making you feel something resembling desire.  We don't even have to f- uh, go all the way.  Not if you don't want to, that is."  Of course, he was counting on her wanting to.  He'd get her there or die trying.

"After Angel wigs out, what then?  What if he kills you, where does that leave me?"  Buffy decided to concentrate on the second part of the plan. She couldn't deal with the ick factor of stage one, not yet.

"Angel won't kill me, luv.  I'm stronger than he thinks.  And if he's 'wigging out' as you put it, he won't be thinking straight.  You catch him off guard and I cover your back.  It's as simple as that.  He won't even see us coming."  It did make a weird sort of sense.  The two of them together should make for an unbeatable offense.  There was just one glitch.

"What about Drusilla?  She's not going to sit back and watch us take out Angel."  Spike's gaze hardened for a second.  When he spoke, his voice was cold, emotionless.

"I'll take care of Dru.  You won't have to worry about her.  Just stake Angel and be done with it."

"When do you want to do this thing?  We have to make sure there aren't any other vamps around, I can't fight Angel and all of them at the same time." She wanted to stall for time, still unsure of letting Spike put his hands on her.  It was going to require a lot of trust on her part.  Spike didn't have a soul. He was still a remorseless killer.

"I'll send them on a wild goose chase, looking for some little trinket that Dru wants.  They're all scared shitless of her.  We should do this in the next couple of days, before they have a chance  to do anything with Acathla."  Spike took a step back then, giving her room to breathe.  She remembered her dreams and for a moment she could feel the chains tightening around her.  No, she couldn't live like this any longer.  Angel had to go. It was the only way.

"All right, I'll do it.  Tomorrow night, if you can get rid of everyone. Let's get it done and over with."  Buffy pulled herself up and looked at him with resolve.  Once again, Spike found himself admiring her spunk.

"Let's meet here tomorrow after sundown.  Don't worry if I'm a little late. I'll have to sneak out."

"Fine.  And Spike, don't even think about doublecrossing me.  You won't like the consequences."   She pushed past him and stalked off, amazed at herself for going through with this.  < Spike! Good God, what did I just agree to?  Maybe I'm as insane as Angel is. >

Spike stared after her, admiring the sway of her hips and her barely covered ass.  He was looking forward to tomorrow night.  One thing was for certain, it wouldn't be boring.


Freedom comes when you learn to let go

Buffy had spent the remainder of last night and most of today agonizing over her decision.  She definitely couldn't go to Giles for help now, he would flip.  And if he found out that she fooled around with Spike, he would go after him himself.  Funny, she really didn't want Spike dead anymore.  If he was gone she would miss him.  He kept her on her toes, and yes, he was attractive-she could admit that now.  She could enjoy the sparks with none of the angst that her relationship with Angel had been full of.  But still,
it was going to be hard to submit to him touching her.  She hoped she was doing the right thing.

She packed quickly, making sure her arsenal was extensive.  She didn't want to run out of weapons at a crucial moment.  Buffy turned her attention to her wardrobe.   < What to wear to a combination seduction/slaying? >  She decided to try for sexy and functional.  She could fight in any short skirt and skimpy top, she just had to pick sensible shoes.  A spaghetti strap crop top, comfortable mini, low-heeled boots and she was ready.  She'd also wear her cross, Spike would just have to deal.
< Well, here goes nothin'. >Buffy slung her bag over her shoulder and headed for the window.  She took one last look around the room, wondering if she would be returning.  She noticed that the sun was almost down, so she climbed out the window and headed for the cemetery.

*Creation comes when you learn to say no
Walk away*

"Spike?"  Spike turned his chair around and looked at Drusilla.  He made his mind go blank, as he had learned to do years ago, to keep her out of his head.

"Yes poodle, what is it?  Did you sleep well?"  Drusilla floated toward him, twirling, a dreamy smile on her face.

"Oh yes, pet.  I dreamt of Prague again.  The people were so wonderful there.  In my dream, they were calling me to come back home."   Drusilla slid into his lap and began stroking him like a cat.  " Can we go, Spike? Pretty please?"  She ran her hands down his chest, stopping at his belt. Spike held his breath.   < Now she puts the moves on me? >

"I'll be a good princess, you'll see.  I remember what my little Spike likes."  She trailed kisses down the side of his face and grazed his neck with her fangs.  Spike swallowed, the muscle in his jaw tightening as he willed his body not to respond.  He brought his hands up and caught hers before they reached into his pants.

"Sorry pet, I'm afraid little Spike isn't himself today.  The feeling down there still comes and goes.  Maybe we could try later?"   < Please, please, please buy it. >  Spike pleaded silently.  Drusilla frowned, then smiled as she stood up, patting his head.

"It's all right, luv.  I have to go see Miss Edith about her party.  Maybe my Angel will want to play.  I got some new toys yesterday."  Spike suppressed a shudder as he imagined what sort of "toys" she had acquired. He managed to look at her affectionately and even smile.

"You run along, then.  I'll just read for a while and maybe go out for some air.  Perhaps I'll pull a Ted Bundy, poor cripple in need of some help.  I need to practice hunting, anyway."  She patted him again and drifted off, oblivious to his plans.  He turned and wheeled himself toward the back door, slipping out before Angel came downstairs.

There's no greater power
than the power of goodbye


The cemetery was close to the mansion, it took only a few minutes to reach his destination.  He took his time strolling through the plots, although the urge to run was incredibly strong.  His catlike grace often gave a false impression of calm, when in actuality he felt like bouncing off the walls. He had trained himself over time to suppress these compulsions, but the past few  months in the wheelchair had almost done him in.  He'd had to amuse himself with subtle jabs at Angel and subtlety was not his strong suit.

He came to the clearing in front of the mausoleum.  The Slayer was there, sitting on a slab of marble, her face pensive.  She didn't see him so he just watched her for a moment, enjoying the view.   She was leaning back on her hands, full breasts thrusting upward against the thin material of her shirt.  He let his eyes drift downward towards her bare stomach and equally bare thighs.  < God, is she trying to kill me? >  He slowly looked back up at her face and found her staring over at him.  He felt a tightening in his gut as their eyes met and his cock immediately hardened.  He tried to tell himself that he was only doing this to get rid of Angel but the truth was, he had wanted her ever since he had first laid eyes on her in the Bronze.

Buffy watched him walk slowly towards her, reminding her of a panther stalking his prey.  He was wearing his usual red shirt and black jeans, but somehow the outfit looked new, as if she were noticing it for the first time.  She felt a flickering in her stomach-nerves, excitement?  She didn't want to think about how she was feeling; if she thought too much, she would flake for sure.  Had he always looked this good or had she been too blinded by Angel to notice?  She was so confused and that couldn't be a  good thing.

Spike stopped in front of her, suddenly unsure of how to begin.  He couldn't stop looking at her-all thoughts of Drusilla had fled long ago.  He was incredibly hard and he hadn't even touched her yet.  The Slayer just stared back at him with those liquid eyes, her lips parting slightly and quirking up into a half smile.  She leaned forward and pushed herself to her feet.  Grabbing her bag, she removed a stake and placed it on the slab next to her.  Just in case.  Spike cocked an eyebrow, then nodded as if he understood.  Neither one had spoken; the silence stretched on as they regarded each other.  There was a hum in the air, an electricity that they could no longer deny.

Buffy reached up and unhooked her cross, setting it down beside her.  She tentatively reach out her hand and touched Spike's chest.  Angel had always been so cautious with her, she didn't want any reminders of him.  She wanted animal passion, an antidote to the tenderness Angel had shown her.  Spike seemed to sense this, he grasped her arms roughly and pulled her closer, crushing her mouth with his.  Buffy moaned against his lips, and slid her hands up into his hair.  He felt her breasts against his chest and slipped the strap of her top off of her shoulder, bringing his thumb up to brush across one nipple.  She arched against him as he trailed kisses down her neck.  Buffy stiffened for a moment, then relaxed as she realized that he wasn't going to bite.  He tongued her through her shirt before moving it up out of way.  When his mouth found her sensitive nipples, she cried out.  He sucked one breast into his mouth, then the other.  It felt so unbelievably good.  He was cold like Angel, but more forceful.  He didn't hesitate or worry that she would object.  Not that she could, or even would at this point.

Spike could feel her responding and it made him even harder.  He hadn't thought that she would welcome him this easily.  He slid his hands around her waist, caressing her bare skin.  His mouth followed his hands, gliding across her stomach, his tongue dipping into her navel.  He nipped at her
skin, careful not to use his fangs.  Spike lifted the Slayer and set her back onto the marble, sitting up facing him.  His cold hands caressed her legs, moving up to her thighs as his mouth claimed hers again.  She ran her tongue across his lips and bit down gently, arching her hips to bring him closer.  She was shocked at her own actions; she had never felt so out of control before, not even with Angel.

Spike's hands were under her skirt, reaching for her panties.  He snaked one finger inside, thrusting into her all the way.  She was already dripping, soaking his hand.   He tore the almost nonexistant scrap of cloth from her body and lowered his head.  Spike licked his way up her thighs before sliding his tongue into her folds.  Buffy threw her head back and gave a sharp cry.  Angel had never done this to her.  Spike's tongue circled her clitoris as her hands grabbed his head and her hips thrust forward.  He lapped at her eagerly, reveling in the scent and taste of her secretions. < Won't have a problem with Angel detecting this >  His jeans were constricting his painfully throbbing cock but he didn't want to stop before making her come.  The gutteral sounds coming from her throat let him know that she was close.  Spike slid his finger inside her again and was rewarded with increased wetness drenching his face.  As soon as he felt the convulsive shudders of her climax, he sank his fangs into the tender flesh of her thigh. The Slayer shrieked in ecstasy as she came, the orgasm ripping through her like a freight train.

Buffy felt his fangs slide into her, intensifying the already incredible sensations flooding her.  Spike almost came in his pants as her blood flowed into his mouth.  He sucked gently for a moment, then licked the wound clean. Buffy felt dazed by what had just happened.  She also had an urgent need to feel him inside her.  He captured her mouth with his again and she could taste her own juices, sending another jolt of desire through her.  Buffy tore at his shirt, shredding it with her slayer strength.  Her mouth trailed down to lick at his neck and her hands pulled at his belt, ripping it from the loops.  She quickly opened his jeans and thrust her hand inside, finding him rock hard.  Spike groaned as her small hand encircled him.  She stroked his cock, marveling at the size and feel of him.  He felt huge, bigger than Angel had been.  Buffy shoved his jeans down, freeing him all the way.  With a snarl, Spike grasped her hips and pulled her forward, impaling her with one thrust.  His eyes crossed as he sank into her heated depths.  < Aah, Christ!  So- hot, fucking incredible! >

"S-p-i-k-e!"  She screamed as his pelvis slammed into her clit.  He pounded into her with a furious rhythm as she wrapped both legs around his back. She met him stroke for stroke, her strength more than a match for his.  She clung desperately to his sinewy arms, feeling his muscles straining under
her hands.   A second orgasm was building, the tension making her almost incoherent with need.

"Harder, faster, fuck me, Spike, fuck me-!"  At her urging, he increased his speed, his fingers digging painfully into her ass.  The sweat poured from them both as their bodies slammed together, their moans echoing in the deserted graveyard.  Spike had never felt anything like this, she was so hot, so tight, so wet.  He was almost mindless with the need for release. The Slayer screamed his name again as she came for the second time that night.  Her muscles clamped down on his cock, sending him over the edge. With a growl, he came in hard spasms, shaking and gasping for the air that he didn't really need.  His cock surged inside her, sending his cold semen deep into her womb.  Time screeched to a halt as Spike collapsed against her, his forehead pressing into her shoulder.

They both trembled as the aftershocks of their spent passion ran through them.  Their skin was stuck together with sweat and come, their breathing ragged from exertion.  Spike turned and licked the Slayer's salty neck, sending another shudder through her.  He raised his head, blue eyes meeting
brown in dazed confusion.  < What the hell was that? >  He had figured on getting the Slayer worked up enough to bang her but he never in his wildest dreams imagined that it would be like this.  Drusilla had never made him come that hard.  The combination of heat and cold had been something that he had never before experienced.  How was he going to get himself together to fight Angel and Dru now?

Buffy was trying to deal with her own inner turmoil.  She couldn't believe she had let a demon- < okay let's just say it > -fuck her into oblivion.  And he had bitten her.  All right, not fatally, but still-she had never let Angel feed from her and she had totally loved him.  She tried to control her breathing, to get herself together.  Her muscles were screaming and still quaking from the fierceness of their coupling.  And yet, she didn't really want him to disengage from her.  She met his eyes squarely, refusing to be embarrassed by her reaction to him.   < God, he's so beautiful >   Light where Angel was dark, sculpted like fine marble.   < Now what are we going to do? Can we ever go back after this? >

Spike gently pulled away from her and began pulling up his pants.  He looked at her sitting there, all disheveled.  She was leaning back on her hands, shirt over her breasts and skirt around her hips.  Her lips were swollen and bruised, her eyes large and dark.  A surge of pride went through him at the realization that he had done this to her.  To the Slayer.  He felt like shouting it from the rooftops.  < I made the Slayer come like she never has before! >  Angel would know immediately what had happened.  Spike's only regret was that the bastard hadn't been there to witness it in person. To watch the woman he had loved acting like a bitch in heat with another man.  Then he would truly know how Spike had felt these past months.  He bent down and picked up the tattered remnants of his shirt, then used it to gently wipe the come from her thighs.

Buffy pulled her shirt back down and he lifted her off of the marble.  She smoothed her skirt down over her hips and looked up at him in consternation. His behavior was completely out of character.  She had expected macho posturing, maybe a snide remark or two-not this tenderness as he touched her.  He looked as though he were as surprised as she was at what had happened between them.

Spike cleared his throat and attempted to speak.

"Slayer, I-"  Buffy put her hand up to his lips, shaking her head.

"Don't.  It happened, there's nothing else to say.  We have other stuff to deal with right now.  We'll talk about this later...maybe."  She ran her fingers through her hair and turned to grab her cross and stake.  She was starting to feel like the Slayer again, in control, if only for the moment.

"Okay, we head back to the mansion.  I'll hide until you provoke Angel, then we both hit him with all we've got.  Just make sure you keep an eye on Drusilla.  She's too unpredictable."  Spike nodded in agreement.  After what had just happened, he wasn't sure what he wanted the outcome of this fight
to be.  He didn't have a soul.  How could he have responded to a human this way?   < What in the bloody hell is wrong with me?  She's the fuckin' Slayer, this can't ever happen again... could it? >

"All right, luv.  Let's do this thing.  Just don't let your feelings for Angel get in the way of your killing him."

"Don't worry, I won't."   They turned and headed toward the mansion, shirtless and pantiless, stopping to retrieve his wheelchair on the way.


There's nothing left to lose
There's no more heart to bruise

They walked back to the mansion, each one wrapped in their own thoughts. Or rather, Buffy walked.  Now that Spike had his strength back, he was practically sprinting.  Buffy shook her head as she watched him.  For being almost two hundred years old, he sure did act like a kid on a sugar high sometimes.   < Christ, Summers, talk about leaping from the frying pan into the fire! >  She couldn't think about that now, she had to focus on Angelus. She had no idea how this thing was going to go down, or even if either of them would survive.  Drusilla was a wild card.  Buffy worried more about her than about Angel.  After what had just happened with Spike, she wasn't sure how she still felt about Angel.  Angelus would have killed her if she had done that with him.  How could they both be demons yet be so totally different?  Could some part of their human personality be retained?   But Angelus was so devoid of humanity.  Was it possible that the curse had actually changed him?  Made him more humane than he had been in his mortal life?  Her head was spinning with unanswered questions.

Spike was itching for a fight.  Sex always charged him up, made him feel like taking on the world.  And after that session with the Slayer he was practically in orbit.  < I don't like to brag-yeah right! >  Drusilla, though, there was a problem.  His love for her had deteriorated, she had seen to that.  Could he really live without her, though?  If it came down to her or the Slayer, who would he choose?   < Fuck me, what a bloody mess! >  He would just have to see how it played out.  He didn't want to lose Drusilla, but he wasn't all that sure he could stand life without the Slayer.   That boredom factor again.  This need for speed syndrome was going to do him in for sure.

The mansion loomed in front of them.  The minions were gone, sent to L.A. for an autographed photo of Martin Landau.  The younger ones had no idea who he was.   < Fuckin' morons, the lot of them. >   Didn't they know that Space 1999 was ten times the show that Star Trek was?  They were told not to return without it or Drusilla would be very unhappy.  They had bolted like frightened rabbits.  Spike looked up at the second floor, searching for Angel's window.  The light was on, that meant that he and Drusilla were probably still 'playing'.

"All right Slayer, I'll sneak you in and hide you.  When Angel and Dru come downstairs, we'll wait for the right moment and get that prick where it really hurts."

Spike was jazzed now, this confrontation had been a long time coming.  His sire would finally get what he deserved.  < And Dru, what exactly does she deserve? Damned if I know. >  Spike turned toward the Slayer, a million things racing through his mind.  She looked at him, her eyes dark and unreadable, then turned to go inside.  < You may never get another chance at this, mate >  was all Spike could think as he grabbed her arm and pulled her close.  His mouth came crashing down on hers in a bruising kiss, trying to make the most of what could be their last moments together.  She pressed against him desperately, her tongue searching out his as her hands slid up his bare chest.  For a brief moment there was no Angel, no Drusilla; just Spike and the Slayer... and a craving that wasn't about to go away.

Reluctantly they pulled apart.  No words were necessary.  It was time to make their stand. Nothing could get in the way of that.  Spike opened the door and they silently slipped into the house.  It was quiet, there was no sign of either Angel or Drusilla.  Buffy quickly began stashing various stakes around the main room so that they'd be handy during the fight.   She stopped and stared at the ugly stone statue that dominated the room.  It was shaped like some sort of hulking creature, with eyes that seemed to follow her.  She looked over at Spike inquisitively.

"Acathla."  He breathed, not wanting to alert Angel to their presence.  He motioned for Buffy to follow him into the garden.  As she stepped through the doorway, she gasped.  It was the same as her dream-the one with the chains.  She could even smell jasmine; it was too freaky.  She quickly looked for a place to hide, finally settling behind a large planter.  Spike set up his wheelchair and sat down to wait.  It wasn't long before he heard Angel coming down the stairs.  His stomach tightened when he heard the son of a bitch call out his name.

"Spike!  Are you here?  Hey, dead from the neck down, you back yet?"  He could hear Angel laughing to himself.  Oh, this was going to be fun.  He couldn't wait to see Angel's face when the hammer fell.


Your heart is not open so I must go
The spell has been broken? I loved you so

Buffy tensed as she heard Angel call out.  She prayed that the jasmine would cover their scent until they were ready.  Her stake felt good in her hand, solid and reassuring.  She gathered all of her courage and prepared for the confrontation to come.

"I'm out in the garden, you wanker!"  Spike yelled back.  He idly stroked his bare chest as he waited for Angel to approach.  He brought a hand up to his mouth and tasted the remains of the Slayer's pleasure. It jolted him, cranked him up for the fight.

"Spike, Spike, Spike.  What are you doing out there all by your lonesome?" He was still out in the main room, but getting closer.

"It beats playing bondage games with the two of you."  Spike kept his chair back in the shadows, half hidden by one of the fountains.  Angel stood in the doorway with his shirt hanging open and the top button of his pants undone.  His perfect hair was mussed and whip marks marred his chest.  He
leaned casually against the doorframe and smiled lazily.

"Where are all the fledglings tonight?  Whole place is deserted."

"I sent them to get a surprise for Dru.  I do still know how to treat my princess, after all."  Angel snorted and ran his hand down his chest, drawing attention to Drusilla's markings.

"What are they supposed to be getting?"  Spike kept his face blank as he replied in a detached tone of voice, "If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise now, would it?"  < Come on you bloody idiot, let's get this show on the road .>  Angel pushed himself away from the doorway and slinked into the room.

"Come across anything interesting while you were rolling around town?"

"As a matter of fact, I did."  Spike rolled out from behind the fountain and faced Angel, a mocking expression on his face.  Angel's eyes narrowed as they took in Spike's state of partial undress.

"Angel?"  Drusilla's voice drifted from the other room.  Behind the planter, Buffy's heart was pounding.  The adrenaline was starting to flow in anticipation of what was to come.  She stiffened as she heard Angel answer Dru, his eyes never leaving Spike's.

"In the garden, sweetheart.  With Spike.  Come join us.  I have the feeling that things are about to get very interesting around here."  Buffy remembered the first time she had heard him say that.  When Angelus had returned and he had almost killed Willow.  She quickly grabbed her squeeze bottle of holy water and pulled the tab.  Drusilla glided into the room and slid her hands around Angel's waist.

"S-p-i-k-e, there you are, my sweet.  I had hoped you would play with us this evening.  We made such pretty colors, didn't we, my Angel?"   Angel grasped her arm and pulled her close with a growl.  They kissed, opened mouthed, and bit each other eagerly.  Spike was surprised to realize that it didn't bother him quite the way it used to.  He wondered if that meant that he could finally be free of Dru.  Free from the insanity that seeped into everything around her.

"Spike was just about to tell me how his little spin around town went. Seems he found something of interest.  Probably a new wheelchair ramp." Angel turned back toward Spike, a note of agitation in his voice.  Spike wheeled himself closer, leaving enough room between them so that he could maneuver.

"You won't believe what falls into your lap if you look in the right place, mate.  I mean, there are all sorts of hidden treasures- ripe treasures- just waiting to be plucked by that 'special' someone."  Buffy closed her eyes, imagining the look on Angel's face as comprehension dawned.  Angel snarled menacingly as he waited for Spike to finish.

"A succulent little peach, so moist, so delicious.  Delectable, really.  I don't think I've ever tasted anything quite like it.   Funny thing about fruit on the vine, you can't just leave it there to rot.  If you pick this tender fruit at just the right moment, you get the sweetest juice."   Buffy flushed as she listened to Spike describe her this way.   < Okay, metaphor man, I think he gets the picture. >  Did he really think that she was delicious? She shook her head to clear her thoughts.  < Not the time, Summers, definitely not the time >

"Peaches, mummy used to eat peaches, remember Angel?  She used to bake peach pies and cobblers, her hands would be all sticky."  Drusilla murmured to herself, oblivious to the tension in the room.

"Yeah, whatever Dru."  Angel said impatiently.  He could feel himself losing control of the situation.  Spike was too cocky, almost cheerful.  He took a step closer and froze as a familiar scent wafted toward him.  < It can't be!  She'd never let Spike touch her! >  No one was allowed to touch her but him.  Spike's grin widened as he watched Angel struggle with his suspicions.

"The nose always knows, eh Angel?"  A red haze filled Angel's eyes, his game face surfacing.  Buffy tensed.   < Oh shit, it's rock and roll time > She had to wait until Angel attacked so that she could catch him off balance.  A vampire in a mindless rage was something she was 'so' not looking forward to.

"I told that bitch that if another man touched her, I'd kill her.  Besides, you're just a helpless cripple.  There's no way that you could have fucked Buffy."  Angel sounded as if he were choking on his anger.

"Helpless?  Oh no, mate, I don't think so."  Spike rose from his chair in one fluid movement.  He kicked it out of his way and faced Angel squarely, laughing at the expression on his face.  The scent of Buffy on Spike was inflaming Angel's bloodlust.  He advanced on Spike, growling like a rabid animal.

Drusilla stopped her daydreaming and stared at the two alpha males circling each other.  < They're going to fight, how lovely > Except that it didn't appear to be over her.  She moved closer to them and caught a whiff of another female's arousal.  Her head whipped around to face Spike as comprehension dawned. She recognized that scent, she remembered when Angel used to stink of it.  The Slayer.  Drusilla began to moan, her hands coming up to touch the sides of her head.

"This is so...wrooong!"  Her keening rose to a fevered pitch as she collapsed on the floor.

"The Slayer, no-she'll destroy us, destroy our happy family!"  Spike and Angel ignored her and continued their face off.  Spike was ready to rumble, itching for some action.  He decided it was time for the game to be over.

"You should have seen her, Angel.  She was so hot for it, hotter than you ever made her.  I made her scream."  Spike leaned a little closer and whispered maliciously, "Her blood is the best high there is."

With a roar, Angel dove for Spike's throat, almost blind with fury.  His mind snapped at the thought that Spike had tasted Buffy's blood, something that he had never done.  Spike sidestepped Angel's lunge and drove a fist into his stomach.  As Angel doubled over Spike brought his fists down on Angel's back. Angel dropped to his knees, allowing Spike to drive a foot into his face.

Buffy stepped out from behind the planter, one eye on Drusilla's prostrate form.  Spike was kicking Angel repeatedly, reveling in his payback.  The words began to flow from his lips in an endless stream.  "How do you like it, Angel you fucking son of a whore, motherfucking bastard, huh? How-do-you-like-it!"  Each word was punctuated with another blow.

Drusilla came out of her fog and saw Spike pulverizing Angel.  With a screech, she flung herself at him, hands curved into claws.  Buffy ran at her at full speed trying to intercept the psycho bitch.  She tackled Dru and quickly rolled away from her, leaping to her feet.  Before Drusilla could react, Buffy threw a spinning kick and followed it up with a backfist, driving her whole body into the punch.  Drusilla  flew into one of the statues, but quickly regained her footing, coming at Buffy again.  She slammed a fist into Buffy's face, sending the girl  stumbling backwards. Buffy faced off again, throwing a roundhouse kick to Drusilla's head and a reverse punch to her stomach.  Dru doubled over and Buffy decided to resort to the 'chick-fight' thing.  She grabbed Drusilla by the hair and pulled with all of her might.  Drusilla shrieked in agony.  A big patch of hair had come off in Buffy's hand and she waved it in Dru's face mockingly.  "So, that's what snatch you bald means!"  Buffy laughed as Drusilla lunged for the hunk of hair, her eyes wild with hatred.

Angel opened his blood-filled eyes and, through his blurred vision, caught a glimpse of Drusilla and Buffy.   < Betraying bitch! >  The sight of his former lover caused his beast to rise again, giving him a renewed strength. He rolled quickly and brought his foot up, catching Spike in the groin. Angel scrambled to his feet while Spike tried to recover from the unexpected blow.

 Buffy glanced over and noticed Angel's movement.  She called over to Spike, "Switch!" then somersaulted toward them.  Spike nodded and leaped over her, landing in front of an out of control Drusilla.  "Hey, baby,"  he said before catching her in the face with a right hook.   He had no qualms about fighting a woman, not even one he had supposedly loved.  He'd traded punches with the Slayer often enough and she turned out to be best time he had ever had.  He just had to get a hold of Drusilla and subdue her, which was easier said than done.

Buffy stood before Angel, panting lightly from her fight with Dru.  His face was completely feral, there was not a shred of sanity visible.  She looked at him and realized that the Angel she had loved was gone forever. Even if they could have restored his soul, too much had happened.  There was no guarantee that he would bear any resemblance to the man she had known. Her discovery gave her a renewed sense of purpose.  She could take him now. She could finally end it.

Angel backhanded her in the face, spinning her into the planter where she had hidden.  He came after her, his only thought being to make her scream in agony.

"You're going to suffer for everything you've done to me.  I'm going to rip you to pieces and then fuck your carcass while Spike watches."  Angel's voice was hoarse as the venemous words spewed from his lips.

"Graphic, much?  Get a grip, Angel.  You're not as scary as you think you are.  Not as good in the sack, either."  Her taunts sent him spiralling out of control and he rushed at her.  She spun away from him and grabbed the bottle of holy water, sending a spraying arc towards his face.  He screamed as the flesh rippled and burned, throwing his hands up to cover his eyes.

"My face, you cunt, you'll pay for this!"  Temporarily blinded, he swayed on his feet as Buffy calmly removed her stake from her waistband.

"Goodbye, Angelus.  Burn in hell."  Throwing all of her weight into it, she thrust the stake into his heart.  His eyes met hers for one stunned moment before his body exploded into dust, covering her with the remains.  Her body crumpled to the floor, tears of relief and sadness filling her eyes.  It was over, the chains were finally broken.

Drusilla saw Angel's body disintegrate and howled, rushing toward the Slayer.  Spike dove for her and missed, calling out a warning to Buffy. "Slayer, look out!"  Buffy turned as Drusilla flew at her, then rolled  to absorb the impact.  She caught Drusilla's body and heaved with her feet, sending the vampire hurtling toward a three foot high statue of a unicorn. She landed directly on the horn, screaming "S-p-i-k-e!"  as she fell.  The horn pierced her heart through her back, ending her tortured existence.

Spike stared at the spot where she had been.  She was gone, gone for good. He felt an ache somewhere in his chest, as if a piece of his dead heart had just been removed.  < Ah Christ, baby, I didn't want it to end this way. >  A single tear ran down his face.  He brushed it away angrily, then turned his attention to the Slayer.

Learn to say goodbye
I yearn to say goodbye

She was sitting on the floor, staring at Angel's final resting place. Buffy rubbed her hand through the dust on the floor, as if she wanted to absorb the last tiny pieces of her first love.  Now that she was free, she didn't know what to do.  She heard Spike approaching behind her.

"I'm sorry, Spike.  I know you didn't want her to die."  He stopped, stunned that her first thought had been about him, about his feelings.  He thought that she would be devastated at having to destroy Angel. She wasn't sobbing, though.  She just looked lost, her hair hanging in her face as she continued to stroke the floor.

"Listen luv, they were both...unbalanced.  It probably was what drew them together in the first place.  I always wanted to take care of her, but all she really wanted was Angel's brutality.  Angel owned Dru, I guess I was just borrowing her for a while."  She looked up at him, her face dirty and tear streaked.  He held out his hand and she tentatively took it, allowing him to pull her to her feet.

"I guess we're both free now, huh?  Why doesn't it feel more comforting? Why do I feel so alone?"  Her words echoed inside him.  He felt the same way.  His family, such as it was, was gone forever.  He tried to reassure her, and himself as well.

"It'll get better.  And you're not alone.  You have your family, your friends...and me.  I don't think I can go back to trying to kill you after this."   He looked into her eyes, trying to read her thoughts.

She gave a small, sad smile. "I don't think I can, either."

"A truce, then?  Only I'm not going to change my ways.  I can't give up hunting- I won't, not even for you."  He stared at her almost defiantly, waiting to see how she would react.

"A truce, huh?  I guess I can live with that.  Just keep it on the outskirts of town and promise not to eat my friends, okay?"  He smiled and brought her hand up to his lips.

"Promise."  He turned to leave the room, anxious to be away from the scene of destruction.  Buffy caught his arm, stopping him.

"Walk me home?"  Her expression said she didn't want to be alone, not yet.

"Anytime, Slayer, anytime."  They turned and left the mansion, their hands loosely clasped together.

Buffy was lost in thought as they walked, a million things swirling in her head.  Tomorrow she would have to face Giles and the gang.  And something had to be done about Acathla so that he could never rise.  She tried not to think about Angel and what she had just done.  She had loved him, but had she ever really known him?  She decided that there was time enough to deal with mixed emotions later.  Tonight, she wanted Spike to hold her for a while and make her forget her own name.  If he was willing. She remembered what he had said to Angel and couldn't contain her curiosity any longer.

"Spike?"   Her voice was hesitant.

"Yes, luv?"

"Did you mean it when you said that I was delicious?"  Her face flamed as she said it.  Spike chuckled softly and gripped her hand a little tighter.

"The sweetest nectar I've ever tasted, pet."  Spike was lost and he knew it.  Just another vampire fallen victim to the power of the Slayer.  < Fuck me >  And Buffy smiled as they walked in the moonlight.

 

The End

 

<< back