"All This Time"

Author: Michelle
Email: michellabella52478@yahoo.com
Notes: I came up with the idea for this story at work this morning. I wrote it in an hour, so go easy on me.
Additional Notes: // \\ denotes flashback.


Buffy stood in front of the full-length mirror in the Bride's Room of the church. She could not believe how beautiful she looked in her wedding dress. It struck her as something out of a dream; she never imagined that she would ever get married. "I can't believe this is me," Buffy mused.

In her turquoise maid of honor gown, Willow smiled. She had never seen her best friend look so happy or so lovely. "You look amazing. Riley is going to die when he sees you."

"I hope not," the bride chuckled. "This wedding and our honeymoon is costing us a fortune. He better live through it."

Willow hugged her. "Everything is going to go perfectly. I'd stake my life on it." She glanced at the clock. "Five minutes left. I'm going to check everything out." She opened the door, then closed it behind her after she left.

The bride sat down at the vanity table and pulled out her compact. The way Buffy figured, one last make-up check wouldn't hurt. There was a knock at the door when she finished applying the last of her foundation. She assumed it was Giles, telling her that it was time. "Come in," she called.

The wooden door opened slowly. A tall figure in a dark suit entered. "Hi, Buffy."

Buffy looked up. Standing just inside the room was Angel. Her breath caught in her throat. "Angel. Hello."

He shifted uncomfortably. "I -- I wanted to wish you luck before the wedding. Riley is a very lucky man."

She smiled slightly. "I'm the lucky one. Thank you for coming. I know it must have been hard for you, and I do appreciate it."

"I couldn't miss your big day." Angel hid his sadness just below the surface. He'd never met Buffy's soon-to-be husband and he was already jealous of him. "You look beautiful, Buffy."Buffy knew she must have been blushing. He always had the ability to make her do that. "Thank you."

"May I -- may I kiss the bride before the wedding?" he asked.

"The bride would like that very much," Buffy answered.

Angel wrapped her gently in his arms and bent his head down to kiss her softly on the lips. It only lasted for a few seconds, because he knew if it lasted any longer than that, he'd never be able stop. He didn't let her out of his embrace. Instead, Angel held her and whispered in her ear. "I'll never forget." He kissed her quickly on the cheek. "Good luck," he told her before he left.

Buffy couldn't move. Images flashed through her mind that she knew had never taken place. She saw herself standing on the Santa Monica Pier, kissing Angel in the sunlight. Walking into his office building hand-in-hand while staring deep into each other's eyes.

She had been so lost in her thoughts that Buffy did not notice Giles standing in the doorway. "Buffy? Are you ready?"

Shaking herself out of her reverie, she nodded. "Yeah. I think I am." She grabbed her bouquet and took Giles' hand as he led her to her future.

When they reached the beginning of the aisle, the wedding march began. Willow, Anya and Cordelia were already standing at the altar with Riley, Forrest, Graham and Xander. Riley grinned at his bride, and the guests stood up. Buffy looked at the people as she walked down the aisle.

Her gaze locked with Angel's, who stood toward the middle of the church. The look of sadness on his face was evident to her. She couldn't bear to look away, even though her mind told her that she should be looking at Riley.

More images appeared. She and Angel making love on his kitchen table, then in his bed. Her feeding him chocolate and peanut butter, licking ice cream off his chest, listening to his heart beat, and falling asleep in his arms. Why am I thinking about this?

They reached the end of the aisle, and Giles gave her a kiss and returned to his seat. The priest began the ceremony.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the union between Riley Jacob Finn and Buffy Anne Summers."

But Buffy was not paying attention to anything he said. Her mind was still being filled with images -- images she did not know the meaning of. They showed her what the most perfect day of her life had been like. And how it all came to an abrupt end.

// "And if I stay mortal, one of us will wind up dead. Maybe both of us." \\

// "How can we be together if the cost is your life?" \\

// "I'll never forget. I'll never forget. I'll never forget. I'll never forget. I'll never forget." \\

Buffy blinked, coming back to reality. "I'll never forget," she said softly. It had been real. She remembered now. "Oh God. I can't do this."

"What? Buffy, what's wrong?" Riley wanted to know.

She glanced up at him, tears filling her green eyes. "I'm so sorry, Riley. But I can't marry you." She scooped up her dress and ran down the aisle.

Angel, having heard her say "I'll never forget" thanks to his enhanced vampire senses, ran after her. He found her in the Bride's Room. "Buffy? Are you all right?"

She sniffled. "I couldn't marry him, Angel." She turned to face him. "I remember. That perfect day when you were human. And it made me realize how much I love you and how much I want to be with you."

"Buffy," he started. "I love you. And I never wanted to keep it from you. But it was for the best."

"All this time you knew what we shared. How perfect it was, could've been. And you gave it all up to protect me. How was I supposed to marry Riley knowing that?"

He shook his head. "You didn't know."

"I do now. It's you I want to marry. Not Riley, not anybody else. They could not understand me the way you do. Please, Angel."

Angel sat down next to her. He put his arms around her. "I won't leave you again."

"Will you marry me? Someday?"

"Someday soon, Buffy. Very soon. I promise. I'm here forever."

The End

<< back