"I'm Not That Innocent"

Author: Michelle
Email: michellabella52478@yahoo.com
Disclaimer: I don't own any of them. Although after what Joss has put Angel through in the past week, I'll take him and *ease* his pain. The song is "Oops, I Did It Again" by Britney Spears.
Notes: Okay, I would hardly call this fanfic. This is bitchfic. I saw "Sanctuary" Saturday night, and when I was finished crying, I wrote this. This story is me venting. I'm forewarning you...I debated for hours as to whether or not to post it. So please go easy on me, I just wanted someone to read it before I go insane.


The day's battle was over. The gang assembled at the Bronze for a little rest and relaxation. Buffy was trying her hardest to have a good time, but her mind kept wandering onto the day's events. Her battle with Adam, and most prominently, her fight with Angel. It had been hard for her to say those things to him, but she was so angry at him for lashing out at Riley that she wanted to hurt him. Like he'd hurt her.

Luckily, Riley hadn't been badly injured and offered to take her to the Bronze with her friends. She touched his bandaged arm. "How are you feeling?"

"Better. He definitely packs a punch," Riley commented. He couldn't even say Angel's name; it was too hard. Hard to remember how the vampire pounded him into the ground, and hard to think about Buffy having been with him.

"Yeah, that he does," she agreed, rubbing her cheek.

Then she felt it. That familiar tingle she got whenever Angel was near. Buffy didn't have to turn around to see him; she knew he was there. Lurking in the shadows, watching her table silently like he did back in the old days. There were times when she missed that feeling, but not that night.

No, Buffy wanted to show him that she had truly moved on.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

"Do you want to dance?" Riley asked Buffy.

"I'd love to," she replied with a smile. Now she would show him. With a dance. He led her to the dance floor and they began their dance.

I think I did it again
I made you believe we're more than just friends
Oh baby you might seem like a crush
But it doesn't mean that I'm serious
But to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me

Buffy ran her hands up and down Riley's arms. She wiggled closer to him, moving up and down his body. Continuing to run her hands over him, she nuzzled her nose against his neck.

If the dance's intent had been to make Angel jealous, it was certainly working. He was reminded of Buffy's dance with Xander close to three years earlier. A low growl escaped his lips, but he did nothing but stand in place and watch.

Oh baby baby
Oops, I did it again
I played with your heart
Got lost in the game
Oh baby baby
Oops, you think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

She knew it was working. Something inside of her screamed that it was. But another part of her said that she shouldn't be doing this to him, to either of them. That it wasn't fair, this game she played with their hearts.

Buffy loved both Angel and Riley, of that she could be sure, but in different ways. She'd love Angel forever. He was her first love and would always hold a special piece of her heart. Her true love and she knew it; the one she was destined to be with. And Riley...Buffy loved him in a way she couldn't describe. He could give her everything she deserved -- a normal life. She chose that over true love.

You see, my problem is this
I'm dreamin' away
Wishing that heroes, they truly exist
I cry watching the days
Can't you see I'm a fool
In so many ways
But to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me
Baby...oh

Despite her dance moves, Riley could tell something was bothering Buffy. She seemed to be a million miles away. Not that it really mattered to him as long as she was with him physically. He knew where her thoughts were. With Him.

Riley didn't worry, though. He felt secure in his love for her and hers for him. It became apparent she wanted to put the past behind her when she chose him over Angel. It was for the best anyway. What kind of a life could a vampire give Buffy? He was, after all, a demon.

Oops, I did it again
I played with your heart
Got lost in the game
Oh baby baby
You think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

"I'm not hurting you, am I?" Buffy asked.

"Not at all. It feels good, actually. To have you so close. I wasn't so sure it would be like this again."

Buffy put her arms around his neck. "Everything's perfect now."

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahs

"That's one hell of a dance they've got going," Xander said to Anya, Willow and Tara.

"She's proving something," Anya stated.

Willow turned to the ex-demon. "How can you tell?"

"Please. I've seen this a million times. Buffy is just trying to show everyone she's over Angel." Anya sighed. "She's trying a little too hard if you ask me."

Oops, I did it again to your heart
Got lost in this game, oh baby
Oops, you think I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent
Oops, I did it again
I played with your heart
Got lost in the game
Oh baby baby
Oops, you think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent
Oops, I did it again
I played with your heart
Got lost in the game
Oh baby baby
Oops, you think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

Angel watched stoicly as Buffy brought her lips to Riley's, kissing him. When he saw her hands roam down his back, the vampire turned to leave. "I guess you're not that innocent," he said, walking out the door.

 

The End

 

<< back