"One Perfect High School Moment"

Author: Michelle
Email: michellabella52478@yahoo.com
Notes: This is my way of dealing with what happened during "The Prom." What can I say, I needed closure.


Oz and Willow met up with Buffy and Angel near the exit of the gymnasium. The two had shared their surprise and delight over the appearance of Buffy's ex during the last dance. Angel was the last person they expected to see at the prom.

Willow tapped Buffy on her bare shoulder. "It's over. We made it through prom."

Buffy smiled a genuine, happy smile. "And no fatalities. I think we did pretty damn good." She looked over to see Angel and Oz had begun their own conversation. "It was a great night, Will."

"Yeah, it was, wasn't it?" Willow was bursting with joy, so much so that she was ready to burst.

"And Angel came, too. Like, whoa, big night for you. Does that mean--"

Buffy shook her head. "Nope. I guess he wanted to find out why prom is such a big deal. Not that I'm disappointed. I'm not."

"Maybe he felt bad," her best friend suggested.

"I don't know. But whatever the reason, I am glad."

Oz took hold of Willow's left arm. "Ready?" he asked. He wanted to leave in order to make it to the theater in time for the midnight showing of PROM NIGHT. A group of other prom-goers were going to check it out.

"Uh-huh. I'll call you in the morning, Buffy," the redhead promised.

"Not too early. I plan on sleeping. Have a good time, you guys."

Her two friends left the gymnasium. Buffy turned to follow them. Angel was waiting outside for her. She hadn't even seen him leave.

"I thought youd've left by now," she said, trying to hide her happiness over his presence.Angel stared at the ground, then at her. He knew she could see right inside his soul, could tell exactly how he felt and how badly he wanted to be with her. "Couldn't leave yet."

"Planning on helping clean up?" It was a weak attempt at a joke, and Buffy knew it.

"Can I--May I--I'd like to walk you home, Buffy," the vampire managed to spit out.

The force of his words hit Buffy hard. He wanted to walk me home? Does that mean he's changed his mind? No, Buffy, don't get your hopes up. "You don't have to. Only a date is required to do that."

"I want to," Angel insisted. "You don't have much choice here. Either I walk you home or I follow you home."

"Fine. Let's go." Seeing him stand there, so dapper and handsome in his tuxedo, made Buffy's resolve melt to a pile of goo. Just as her heart did when she saw him come through the doors during the prom.

He offered her his arm, but she refused. She was trying to keep from letting her feelings spill out. Angel wanted to tell her how beautiful she looked, but he feared what might actually come out. He had to do what was best for her. Even if it meant breaking his own heart in the process. They walked two blocks in silence. Angel couldn't stand walking next to her and not saying what he thought. He closed his eyes tightly and prepared his words carefully. "I've been meaning to tell you how lovely you look tonight."

This caught Buffy off-guard. He had complimented her; she didn't expect it, considering what they had gone through the past few days. "Thanks. You look very handsome yourself."

If it were possible, Angel would have blushed. "Buffy, we need to talk. We've barely shared a five minute conversation since--"

She whirled on him. "Since what, Angel? Since you dumped me?"

"We're still friends."

Buffy laughed. A short, sarcastic laugh. "Do you really think we'll ever be friends? Even Spike knows that can never be. Do you know why? Because we share too much history; too many feelings. Because I love you too much to ever be your friend." She took a deep breath. "Can you tell me that what I said isn't true?"

"I do love you."

"But you don't want to be with me? Contradict yourself a little bit, don't you?"

"It's more complicated than that."

Buffy walked forward, heading home as fast as she could. "Go home, Angel."

Angel ran after her. "Do you want to know why I came tonight?"

She continued walking. She really didn't want to hear it. But she knew she would. "No. But please do fill me in," she retorted sarcastically, ready to burst into tears.

He grabbed her by the shoulders, stopping Buffy dead in her tracks. "I wanted to give you that one perfect high school moment."

Her eyes darted back and forth across Angel's face after his revelation. She was taken aback. "What?"

"Your life is so complicated. Remember what you said to me today at the meat factory?" He didn't wait for her response. "It got me thinking about all the opportunities you've missed out on. Because of me. I wanted you to have one moment that you could treasure for the rest of your life. Something normal." He sighed, glad he had gotten that out of his system.

"I treasure every memory I have with you," Buffy revealed.

He was touched. Nobody had ever said anything that beautiful to him. "That's why I had to come. I can only hope that you'll forgive me."

Buffy looked into his eyes. His speech had touched her deep within the soul. She touched his arm in a loving manner. "It's not a matter of forgiveness anymore. Hell, I forgave you everything the moment I saw you in the gym. I think I was more shocked and hurt about it than anything else. But I'm moving past it. Slowly." She felt the burning of the tears she was so valiantly fighting back. "I still love you, Angel. I'll always love you. It doesn't matter how far away you are. You will always be in my heart. From now until the day I die."

Angel looked away. He couldn't face her. "I love you, too. I am always going to love you. But in order to do that, I have to leave. I'm sorry, I just can't think of any other way."

"If that's how you feel..."

"It is." He noticed that Buffy clasped her arms together, an apparent sign that she was cold. He removed his tuxedo jacket and put it over her shoulders. "You look cold."

"I am. Thank you." She adjusted the jacked for maximum warmth. To Buffy, his fragrance seemed to radiate from the jacket straight into her nasal passages. She hoped she would always be able to remember it.

They walked four blocks in silence, neither of them knowing what to say. Angel decided to break the silence. "Only a couple more weeks."

She nodded. "Yep. Ascension. Big fun there."

"I'd like to help, if you'll let me," he offered. It gave him an excuse to spend more time with her before he left town.

"We can always use an extra body. I'll keep you updated."

"I appreciate it." They stopped in front of her house. "We're here."

For Buffy, the time passed too quickly. "I guess so. You don't have to walk me the rest of the way." She hoped in her heart that he would.

"I'd like to, though." Angel didn't want their time to end. He took her arm in his and guided her to her front door.

Buffy didn't know what to do next. Should she invite him in? Just go inside? Shake his hand? Ideas raced through her mind. "Thank you, Angel for everything. Tonight especially. I don't quite know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything." He bent down, giving Buffy a soft kiss on her cheek. "Sweet dreams." He turned around, heading home, and though about how wonderful it felt to hold her in his arms again.

 

The End

 

<< back