"Arms Wide Open"

Author: Mistress Ace
Email: rosewood@inreach.com
Notes: I don't normally write anything this short but this song has been running through my head for the past few days and I had to just jot down a few ideas. And I really needed to take a break from Heartbeat.
Dedication: To Carey, Moe, Trish, Lisa, Robyn, Laurie, Kellie, Chrys, Jen and all those people who have sent me such wonderful feedback. But most especially to Starcrossed…. Each of your posts have kept me going…..


The smile on his face could have lit up all of Los Angeles. The final battle was over, he had defeated the last fiend from Hell and earned his reward. Humanity was once again his.

No more darkness, no more demon within him demanding blood, demanding death to feed its insane thirst for destruction.

He was free. With one shaking hand he lifted himself from the ground, feeling his heart beating in his chest for the second time in two centuries.

There was only one place he wanted to be now…….. And that was Sunnydale.

"Well I just heard the news today
It seems my life is going to change
I closed my eyes, begin to pray
Then tears of joy stream down my face"

He could barely see to drive, the sun would no longer reduce him to ash but it did hurt his light sensitive eyes. His quiet prayers for her forgiveness after all these years of silence echoed in his head.

It had been for the best for him to stay away.

Whenever they were together, it hurt both of them too much. The few times he had come to visit, he kept his distance. Even catching the merest glimpse of her had felt like his heart was being torn out of his chest.

But now he could return to her as a whole person. He could be the one to walk with her in the sunlight, he could be the husband he always promised himself to be to her, he could be the father of the children he wanted so desperately to have with her……

"With arms wide open
Under the sunlight
Welcome to this place
I'll show you everything
With arms wide open"

It had taken so many years to earn his redemption. They had been long, lonely years punctuated by horrific battles and dire visions. Some of his beloved companions had fallen and he wept over their graves…..

But she had survived. Despite all the monsters that stalked her nights, despite that constant threat of death that followed her through every day, his beloved had beat the odds.

And now, so had he.

"Well I don't know if I'm ready
To be the man I have to be
I'll take a breath, I'll take her by side
We stand in awe, we've created life"

The reunion was all planned out in his head. He could walk up to her in the full sunlight and watch the happiness spread across her face as she realized it was not a figment of her imagination. That it was really him who was walking up to her with the sun beating down on him.

Once he reached her side, he would drop to one knee and beg for her forgiveness….. He could kiss her hand and put his claddagh ring back on her little finger with heart pointing inwards. In the ancient way of his people, it would show everyone that her heart was taken.

Just like the ring he wore on his own left hand still proclaimed his heart was taken by her……

"With arms wide open
Under the sunlight
Welcome to this place
I'll show you everything"

The Welcome to Sunnydale sign was still standing, he laughed aloud as he saw it. That public monument had a long history of being knocked down by whatever trouble that blew into the town which was home to the Hellmouth….

Guess trouble hadn't been to visit in awhile……

"With arms wide open
Now everything has changed
I'll show you love
I'll show you everything
With arms wide open"

Had it been that many years since he lost track of their lives? Little Willow had grown into a beautiful woman, her long red hair flowing down over her back as she walked arm with a young blonde woman. There was a little child walking beside her. A darling little blonde girl with big hazel eyes……. Big hazel eyes just like his beloved's.

He spotted her and the world stopped. Walking behind the two laughing Wiccans was his heart's desire. Her dearly remembered face was thinner but still as heart-breakingly gorgeous. The tiny girl who owned his heart had grown into a stunning woman. She paused for a moment, scanning the area around their little group. It was almost as if she was searching for him.

His heart leapt in his throat as her eyes settled on him where he stood under the trees. A small smile crossed her face, a very sad smile as their eyes locked across the distance. He could feel the love for him that still radiated from deep within her……

Then a shadow crossed between them as a tall handsome man moved in front of her. He recognized him, it was the young man she had been dating during her freshman year of college…. That had been almost six years ago and it looked like they were still together…….

The little blonde girl dropped Willow's hand with a sharp cry of "Daddy!" She raced into her father's arms who caught her easily and tossed her into the air.

Buffy smiled happily at her daughter and her beloved husband. The sight of them playing together made her forget what could have only been an impossible daydream…….

"If I had just one wish
Only one demand
I hope he's not like me
I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open….."

Angel turned away slowly, tears streaming down his face. He took a deep breath and walked away from the love of his life for the last time.

For him, redemption had come too late.

The End

 

<< back