"Baby On Board"

Author: Moe
Email: bearhugs12@hotmail.com
Dedication: Marty, you are such a sweetie! Thanks for the help!


".....and that's why we are never welcomed back in the Magic Kingdom," Xander said, grabbing another slice of pizza. The gang had gathered at Buffy and Willow's dorm for a night of food, friends and fun. Xander was amusing them with stories from his and Anya's two-week escaped to Disneyland.

"I will never be able to go on the Small World ride again." Willow was in shock. Her childhood memories were replaced by images that Xander had just painted for her.

"Oh, there was nothing small about *it*," Anya interjected, rubbing her hand up Xander's thigh.

"A little more information than was necessary, Anya!" Buffy looked disgusted at the scene playing out before her.

Xander, wanting to take the attention away from his assets, quickly changed the subject. "So, what have you two vixens been up to?"

"Oh, you know, the usual. Patrol, throwing up, school. The fun stuff in life," Buffy sarcastically answered.

"The morning sickness isn't going away, huh?"

"Nope, but at least I have my Willow to hold back my hair," Buffy said as she threw her arms around her best friend, giving her a light squeeze.

"How is Riley doing?"

"He's still in Iowa. He'll be home next week" Buffy chewed on her fifth slice of jelly bean and mushroom laden pizza.

Xander held down the vomit as he watched Buffy consume food he felt should be banned from existence "How did he take the whole baby news?"

"He said he was happy.." Buffy wiped her mouth before continuing "excited, even. But..."

"But what?" Anya interjected. "Is he thinking that you will get fat and no longer be desirable?"

"No, but thank you for adding to my fears. He has just been so distant lately."

"Buffy, he has had an overwhelming six months. Professor Walsh's death, Adam, being skewered. He's had to take on a lot more responsibility at the Initiative, and the accident. And let's not forget that he almost got turned into a demon-hybrid thing by a bunch of psycho doctors. He probably just needs sometime. He'll come around." Willow said attempting to sooth her friend's fears away.

"Yeah, you're probably right. Hey, isn't this supposed to be a party?" Buffy, though comforted wanted to brighten the mood, instead of dwelling in the dark abyss that happened to be her love life. "So, what's it going to be; ‘The Shining' or ‘The Changeling'?"


The Initiative had insisted he take a month off to recuperate from the injuries and trauma he had suffered from the accident and the experiments performed on him as a consequence of the accident. As soon as he was well enough he had flown home to spend time with his family. After spending a month playing chicken foot with his grandma, romping with the dogs, building a new fence around the cow pen with his dad, helping his mom around the house and being under the watchful eye of said mom, he was ready to return home.

The weeks spent at home had also allowed him time to think about his future. The baby had been a shock, something he was totally unprepared for. He had always dreamed that he would have children with Buffy, but that had been far in the future. Yet, here it was upon him. He had to admit, he was a little terrified. Questions had kept popping into his head, such as: Do I really want to bring a child into the world when I know what is out there stalking the innocent?, or Will I be a good father when I am still just a kid myself?, then the one that really bothered him; Can I raise a child by myself if I have to? Buffy herself said that most slayers don't live past 25, it was practically a guarantee. The very thought of Buffy not being there when he was an old man scared him. He didn't know if he wanted a family without her. Though these thoughts plagued him through-out his vacation, he always came to one conclusion. It was all worth it. Buffy was worth it.

Squished between a very large man who insisted on the aisle seat and a woman with a very small bladder who absolutely had to have the window seat, his long legs in desperate need of stretching, he impatiently waited as the plane circled LAX. Buffy would be there waiting for him. Thoughts of her were the only things that keep him from going insane as the captain informed the passengers that there would be yet another delay.


Nodding to the flight attendant as he exited the plane, Riley headed up to the terminal. Tiny crowds had formed welcoming loved ones home. Scanning the crowd, his eye caught the glint of gold in the back. Pushing his way through the throng of people, he saw her patiently standing next to a taller man, engaged in a casual conversation. Boy, she was a sight for sore eyes. Glancing down at her stomach he was surprised to see it as flat as the day he had left. He mentally slapped himself. It was still early, she wouldn't be showing yet.

Turning from Graham, Buffy saw him gazing at her. "Rrrriley!" she screeched, running up to him, throwing her arms around his neck as her legs wrapped around his waist.

"Hey, baby! I missed you!" came Riley's muffled reply.

Lifting her head from his shoulder, she kissed him hard, determined to let him know just how much she had missed him.

"Okay guys, knock it off before someone gets the hose," Graham laughed, breaking up their kiss.

Carefully placing Buffy back on her feet, Riley reached over to his friend and grabbed his hand in a firm handshake. "It's good to see you, man!"

Grabbing the backpack from Riley, Graham smiled "It's good to see you, too, man! Hope you got all rested up back at the farm."

"With all the mothering I got, I'd better have!"

"Well, you're not going to get that here. Oh, by the way, it's your turn to clean the bathroom at Lowell House and it hasn't been done since you've been gone!"

Buffy wrinkled her nose at the thought and then felt the urge. Excusing herself quickly, she made a mad dash for the bathroom.

"She's been sick a lot lately, Rye. Do you think she has the flu?" Graham looked concerned as he watched Buffy enter the ladies room. Smiling, Riley realized that he and Buffy had never told Graham or Forrest. He patted his friend on the shoulder and sat him down for a talk.


Standing on the steps of Stevenson Hall, Riley was holding Buffy's hand as he escorted her to the door. Graham stayed in the car with the motor running. "I have a meeting this afternoon with the brass, but I would really like to see you tonight. I have a surprise for you."

"A surprise, really! What kind of surprise?"

"You'll see!" Kissing her softly on the lips, he walked back to the car, turning briefly to say that he would pick her up at 7.

"Sounds great!" Smiling, Buffy waved as Riley got in the car and drove off.


"What do you think, Will? The red, short one? Or the skimpy black one?" Buffy had finally narrowed the choice down to two dresses after spending hours trying on outfits.

"You know, Buffy, you probably won't be wearing it that long anyway, so it doesn't matter," Willow giggled as she pointed to the black dress. "I like that one."

"The black one it is! And let's hope for the not wearing it long. God, it's been two months!"

"I wouldn't be surprised if you two didn't get out of this room. Speaking of which I'd better get going, Tara is expecting me. Have fun!"

"You, too!"

Quickly dressing, Buffy was able to check her hair and makeup before there came a knock on the door. Smoothing her dress, Buffy opened the door. Standing before her, dressed in a tux was Riley. ‘God he's beautiful.'

‘God she's beautiful.' It took him a full minute before he realized he was standing there with his mouth gaping open, just staring at her. "You look, wow!"

Blushing, Buffy offered a smile. "So, are you ready or should we just stand here staring at each other?"

"Though I wouldn't mind staring at you forever, I think we should get going." Taking her arm and linking it through his, Riley escorted Buffy out of her dorm room, remembering to lock the door behind them.


The Explorer came to a stop in front of a small house. Jumping out of the driver's seat, Riley ran around the car to open the door for Buffy. Buffy recognized this street. She usually cut across several of the yards on her way to Weatherly Park. Nothing much happened on this street after dark. Most of the residents stayed in, therefore, the vampires usually avoided it. The neighborhood was full of young families just starting out in life. Many of the homes were small, with little yards. Buffy figured Riley must have a married friend that lived here that they were visiting. ‘Not getting lucky tonight!' Buffy sighed as she took Riley's hand and stepped out of the car.

The lights from the house provided a warm, welcoming feeling as Buffy and Riley walked up the path. Riley had been so secretive about the entire evening that Buffy still didn't know what to expect. Reaching the door, Riley turned the knob and walked in. Entering the room, the first thing Buffy noticed was that there was no furniture. The house was empty. "Riley, where are we?"

"There is something I want to show you. Come on!" Placing his hand on the small of her back, Riley guided her up the stairs. Noticing two doors, Buffy paused, looking for direction from Riley. Nodding to the right, Riley took her hand as they walked towards the room. "Go ahead!" Riley squeezed Buffy's hand as he encouraged her to open the door.

Behind the door, Buffy was amazed to find a fully furnished nursery. Little clowns and teddy bears covered the walls with blues, yellows, reds and greens. An oak crib sat in the center of the room filled with stuffed animals and blankets. A rocking chair sat near the window, flanked by a book case full of Dr. Seuss and Disney books. A changing table and a chest of drawers completed the room.

"What is all this?" Buffy looked toward Riley, confusion playing across her face.

"The house is ours, I closed on it last week, thanks to some friends in the realty business. Mom and Dad supplied the baby items. If you don't like the colors or anything, we can take it back."

"Ours? Are you saying you want us to move in together?"

Grabbing her hand, Riley lowered himself to one knee. Staring into her tear filled eyes, he knew that this was how it was meant to be.

"Buffy, I have never loved anyone as much as I do you. You have filled my days and nights with such love and promise, that I know I could never make that up to you. But I am hoping that you will let me spend my every last breath trying." Riley fumbled in his pocket for a moment before pulling out a small box. Opening it, Riley carefully took out the small diamond ring. Setting the box down, Riley took Buffy's right hand and gently slid the ring on her finger. "Buffy, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you please marry me?"

Looking down into Riley's expectant face, Buffy began to sob. Her worries and fears regarding Riley and the baby werecompletely washed away by his act of love. Nodding her answer, she knelt down and hugged him tightly, softly whispering "yes" over and over again.

They sat in the doorway to the nursery for an hour discussing the future; baby names, wedding plans, furniture, and wallpaper. Riley's stomach began to rumble as the evening wore on. Helping Buffy to her feet, he guided her to the other upstairs room. Behind the door, was the master bedroom. Instead of a bed, Buffy found a picnic laid out on a blanket. Over their dinner of sandwiches and potato salad they discussed Riley's trip to Iowa and Xander and Anya's misadventure at Disneyland.

"Can you do THAT in those little boats?" Riley nearly choked on his sandwich.

"Where there is a will, Anya will find a way!" Buffy giggled.

As the evening progress, the conversation turned more intimate and advanced into a make-out session. That didn't last long as clothes started flying, and eventually Buffy and Riley found themselves happily sated in one another's arms on the floor of their bedroom.

"Well, I guess we christened this room." Buffy smiled as she ran her fingers gently over Riley's chest.

"Only five more to go!" Riley smiled as he wrapped the picnic blanket around them, kissing the top of Buffy's forehead as she rested on his chest.

"I can't wait!" Falling asleep in each other's arms, they dreamed of what the future held for them.


"He bought you a house!" Willow was astonished. Riley had only been back one day and already Buffy was engaged and moving out.

"I know! I cannot tell you how shocked I was. You have to see the house Will, it's so perfect." Buffy was polishing of her second tray of pancakes as she told Willow about the proposal. "Oh, did I show you my ring?" Buffy stuck her hand out for Willow to admire the diamond.

"Yeah, Buffy, once when we met and twice in line. Oh, and lets not forget when you showed the cashier." Willow polished off her orange juice as she joked with her friend.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so excited."

"And you have every right to be. I am so very happy for both you and Riley. It's just, I feel like I'm losing you. I feel like you are moving ahead to your future and I am stuck here alone." Willow looked down, her eyes brimming with tears that she didn't want Buffy to see.

"Hey, you're not losing me Willow. I'm still going to be in Sunnydale. Plus, I'm going to need a best friend to turn to when Riley inevitably screws up, and there is no better friend than you. I love you, you know that. No one will ever replace you. You are going to be a big part of my life, of my children's lives. Auntie Willow!"

"I know that and there is no other guy I would rather lose you to than Riley. He is really terrific. It's just my own mind not wanting us to grow up I guess. Plus, now that you mention it, I sorta like the sound of Aunt Willow." Willow smiled at the glowing slayer, taking her hand and giving it a little squeeze. Looking down at her watch, Willow realized how late it had gotten. "Ooh, sorry, I've got to run. I've got a class." Jumping up, Willow grabbed her backpack and stopped to give Buffy a hug before running off.


"A baby!" Forrest stopped in his tracks, his camouflaged face a mask of surprise. "How did this happen?"

"Well, Forrest, when two people love each other...." Graham quickly received a slap on the back of the head from a slightly offended Forrest.

"I know about the birds and the bees, Graham. I mean, Rye, I thought you and Buffy were safe." Having snuck into Riley room to steal condoms on several occasions, he knew Riley had some.

"She was on the pill, so we didn't bother with the condom. I guess that we ended up in that 3% non-effective area." Riley said, scanning the area for any lurking HST's. They had been patrolling for an hour without even a sighting.

"Are you sure she didn't just plan it that way?" Forrest said accusingly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Riley stopped, turning toward Forrest with anger in his eyes.

"Oh, come on man! She is playing you. She probably got pregnant on purpose because she knew you would marry her."

"Take that back!" Riley advanced on Forrest, only to have Graham step between them, gently pushing Riley back as Forrest continued his rant.

"Do you even know if it's yours? I mean, from what Parker said she sounded pretty experienced. She's just a little slut that wants to play house with you."

Graham had no chance. Riley pushed Graham to the ground and pounced on Forrest. Struggling for awhile, Riley finally got the upper hand. Straddling Forrest, he proceeded to beat him, punching his head as hard as he could. Graham was able to pull Riley off before he did any serious, run-to-the-emergency-room, physical damage. Emotionally, the damage done was irreparable. Quickly gathering his equipment, Riley stalked away from the two men, returning to base before he did something he would regret.


"Wow, married huh?" Xander looked toward Buffy, twirling the stake in his hand. They were on patrol in the cemetery. Xander had opted to accompany her on patrol since Anya was shopping and Willow was at the library studying. He hadn't realized the surprise he would get.

"You aren't mad, are you?" Buffy was sitting on the fresh grave, hoping the newbie would show soon so she could get on with some other plans she had that evening with Riley.

"No, I really like Riley. First off, he is tall, so your kids will have some hope in the height arena. Second, the man has a code name of lilac and he still walks tall and proud. Third, he is not dead which makes him a lot better for you than Dead Boy." Xander crossed over to where she was sitting and joined her on the large headstone. "I won't say I am not jealous. I envy you that you two have found such happiness. I only hope Anya and I can find the same."

Looking at Xander, Buffy realized something for the first time. "You love her! Don't you?"

A small smile crept onto Xander's face. "With all my heart, Buff!"

"Then you will!" Buffy took Xander's hand into her own and patted it lightly.

"So what you going to name the small fry?" Xander asked lightening the intense mood. "Xander makes a great name for boy or girl."

"I don't know." Buffy said with a laugh.

"Oh, come on. ‘Xander' says ‘don't mess with me I can kick your ass.' And any child of yours will be able to back up the implied threat in that name."

"I think Riley wants it to be..." Buffy was caught by surprise as a large scaly arm wrapped around her waist. Before she knew it she was sailing through the air, headed for a large oak tree. Xander quickly grabbed the knife Buffy had dropped and tossed it to her as she recovered. The demon advanced on her quickly as she gripped the knife in her right hand. Xander quickly looked for the axe they had brought but found instead the vamp had awakened.

He could hear Buffy behind him struggling with the demon. Knowing she could hold her own, he prepared to take out the vamp. With the stake gripped firmly in his hand, Xander lunged for the vampire. Easily dodging Xander's attempt, the fanged menace grabbed for Xander's hair. Finding the brown locks, he pulled Xander toward him, baring his teeth. Xander threw his torso forward, flipping the vampire over his shoulder. Pinning him on the ground, Xander swiftly staked the creature before he could recover.

Looking over his shoulder, he saw that Buffy had also killed her demon. She was crouched on the ground catching her breath. Picking himself off the ground, Xander trudged over to her. "Boy, when they come, they all come, huh Buff?"

Buffy looked up, pain etched across her face. "Xander, something's wrong!"


Riley sprinted down the white hall, searching for the admitting desk. His worse fear had come true, Buffy had been seriously injured. Xander had called telling him to get to the hospital as soon as possible. He hadn't given much information, Xander either didn't know much or he didn't want to tell him over the phone. Seeing the admitting desk, he ran up to it. Struggled to catch his breath, he tried to ask about Buffy. Frustration built up as the nurse failed to understand his demands. Riley slammed his fist on the desk as anger overcame him. Very slowly, so the nurse could understand him, he stated his request again. "I want to know where Buffy Summers is."

"Riley!" Hearing his name, he spun around to face Xander.

"Xander, how is she?" Riley left the slightly flustered nurse and hurried over to Xander.

Xander was obviously scared, he was fidgeting and his voice cracked when he spoke. "Th-they took her up to surgery about an hour ago. We haven't heard anything since. They tell us to sit here and wait and as soon as they know something they will let us know."

Noticing for the first time that Giles and Willow were also there, he walked over to Willow and hugged her. "She'll be all right, Riley." Willow whispered into his ear, trying to make herself believe that also.

"She's a fighter, Riley. I'm sure that she will be fine." Giles offered the young man a smile as he motioned for him to sit in a chair.

"What happened?" Riley looked expectantly from face to face.

Xander shrugged as he joined the others in the plastic chairs. "We were waiting for a vamp to rise. She was grabbed from behind by a demon. The vamp rose, I fought it. After I staked it I looked for her. She had killed the demon, but she was hurt. I brought her here. She wasn't bleeding or anything, I'm not sure what was wrong. She was in a lot of pain."

A young doctor in blue scrubs entered the waiting room, looking at a clipboard. "Excuse me folks, I am looking for a Mr. Rupert Giles."

Giles stood up, approaching the doctor. "I am Rupert Giles." Guiding him to the corner of the room, away from the rest of the gang, the doctor spoke in hushed tones to Giles. Giles nodded occasionally, glancing twice towards the others. Receiving a pat on the shoulder from the doctor, Giles said "Thank you." before returning to the others.

"What is it Giles? Is she okay?" Willow looked toward Giles expectantly.

"She, uh ...she was hemorrhaging. Riley, I'm sorry but the baby didn't make it." Riley felt the words hit him like a ton of bricks. He felt like he couldn't breath. He was vaguely aware that Giles was continuing, "...they did everything they could to prevent it, it was just too late. Buffy almost didn't survive. They had to preform a hysterectomy in order to save her life."

Riley looked up at Giles, tears brimming in his eyes. "Can I see her?"

"She is in recovery right now, they will come and get you as soon as she is allowed visitors." Giles placed a hand on Riley's shoulder. Willow looked up at Riley, her tears matching his, grabbing his hand she gave it a comforting squeeze.


She looked so fragile lying in the small hospital bed. Her eyes were red rimmed, apparently from crying. She was staring absently out the window at nothing in particular. He stood in the doorway, just looking at her. Everything he had done, everything he had fought for seemed to be in vain. He couldn't even protect her. All he wanted to do was to keep her safe and happy and he had failed. Seeing her so sad and helpless told him that much.

Turning her head slightly she noticed the form in the doorway. Riley. Her sobs renewed themselves as she was reminded of what she had lost. Riley saw that she had noticed him and entered the room, pulling a chair close to the bed, he sat down and brushed her tears away as she began to cry.

"Shhh. Buffy, everything is going to be okay. I'm here." Riley tried to calm her, gently brushing her hair back, kissing her on the forehead, squeezing her hand. He wanted her to know that he was there for her.

"Riley, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have gone patrolling, I..." Buffy choked on her tears. "I should have been more careful, more alert."

"Buffy, it's okay. The important thing is that you are safe."

Looking down at the ring on her finger, she gently tugged at it. Her finger had swollen slightly and she struggled to get it off. "Here, you probably want this back." Finally sliding the small ring off her finger, she handed it to Riley.

"What? Why would I want it back?" Riley was taken back, he had never expected this.

"There is no reason for you to marry me now. I'm not pregnant anymore." Buffy said, holding back a fresh set of tears.

"There is a reason, a damn good one. I love you, Buffy! That's reason enough. Did you think that I only wanted to marry you because you were having my baby?"

"Well, isn't it? I mean you didn't ask me until after I was pregnant. I sort of pushed you into it."

Standing up, obviously a little upset over her presumption, Riley began to pace. "No Buffy. The baby helped, yes but it wasn't the reason. Did you know that I bought this ring three months ago? I've been making payments on it. I wanted to have it paid off before I proposed to you. Graham was keeping it for me, you can even ask him. When I learned about the baby, I figured that you might prefer to get married before it was born. That is why I asked you when I did. Buffy-" Riley sat down again, taking her hand into his. "I love you! When you are around, everyday is sunshine and roses. You are the most important thing to me. I can't imagine going on with out you. Please reconsider."

Looking down at the ring and back at Riley, Buffy shook her head. "No Riley, I can't marry you. I can't give you what you deserve. You deserve a normal, happy life with someone who can fill it with children and laughter, not vampires and demons. I want you to have a good life and you can't have that with me."

"Buffy, none of those things matter to me if you aren't there to share them with. *We will* have a life with children and laughter and all the other things that make life worth living for. There are other ways to obtain those things. I don't want someone else, I only want you."

Buffy's eyes lit up as she looked to Riley hopefully "Really?"

"Really." Taking the ring from Buffy, Riley slid it back onto her finger, kissing her on the lips.

"Uh-um! We aren't interrupting anything are we?" Willow smiled at Buffy and Riley as she, Xander and Giles waited in the doorway.

"Buffy was just trying to get out of marrying me, but I set her straight," Riley smiled at Willow, taking the flowers she had brought so that she could hug Buffy.

"Well, now that you stopped that nonsense, we can break out the ice cream Xander smuggled in," Willow said as she tried to remain chipper.

"Thanks for coming guys," Buffy said, looking at her friends that had gathered around her. "It means a lot to me that you are here." Her voice cracked as her tears began to flow again. Willow immediately comforted her as Giles motioned for Riley to join him in the corner.

"How do you think she is holding up?" Giles said, watching the slayer wipe her eyes.

"I think she is hurting. She will over come it, but it will take time." Riley said as he smiled at Buffy, reassuring her.

Giles looked with new respect for the young man who had stolen Buffy's heart. "She is lucky to have you."

"No, Mr. Giles. I'm the lucky one!"

The End

 

<< back