"Bad Weather"

Author: Moe
Email: bearhugs12@hotmail.com


The rain pounded on her hood as Buffy raced toward Stevenson Hall. It had been raining for days with no end in sight. Main Street was flooded with a foot of water and elsewhere the water level continued to rise. The dismal weather was doing nothing to brighten Buffy's already poor spirits. Her day had been awful. Waking up an hour late, Buffy had no time to shower before heading to her class. Upon entering class she remembered she had forgotten a paper that was due during that hour. Having no time to run back and get it she had to resort to calling in a favor and had Xander drop it off for her when the class ended. Her day worsened when she fell asleep in another class. The teacher notice and call attention to the fact that she had drooled. Buffy wanted to sink into a hole right then and there. All that she could deal with, but she couldn't handle the situation between her and Riley.

Buffy splashed through a puddle, drenching her pants with the dirty water. "Great!" Buffy said under her breath. Shaking her head she entered Stevenson. Boots sloshing, she made her way upstairs, Buffy felt herself scowling at people as they stared at her. € '±Yes I am wet and dirty and do I look like I am happy about it,' she thought to herself.

Finally making it to her room, Buffy dropped her backpack on the floor and groaned.

"Bad day?" Willow asked looking up from her knapsack she was filling with ingredients for a spell.

"Try bad week!" Buffy exclaimed.

"Tell me about it!" Willow said as she crossed over to Buffy.

"I haven't done anything with Riley in a week, the Initiative has him patrolling nonstop for Adam, and he still has school duties to attend to. With what little free time he does have he spends it sleeping. Did you know that I only get to talk to him 5 minutes a day and that's only on the phone. I am so frustrated that whenever I see him, he is always rushing off somewhere."

"Not much time for smoochies, huh?" Willow slung her arm over her best friends shoulder trying to be supportive and comforting.

"No, not much time for anything. Its like I come last now in his life."

"Buffy you know you are very important to Riley, he's just been busy lately. I mean with the whole Adam/Professor Walsh thing, he probably has a lot of commanding duties to perform."

"I know, I just wish that we could have one night alone, with no interruptions."

"What's he doing tonight?"

"I don't know, he didn't say last night."

"Give him a call, its Friday night after all, no schoolwork, he can sleep tomorrow and someone can cover for him at the Initiative for one night. Invite him over." Willow walked to the phone and held out the receiver."

"Sounds good!" Buffy quickly dialed Riley's number. Expecting Riley, Buffy was surprised when Graham answered.

"Riley's!"

"Graham? Is Riley there?"

"Just missed him - he went out on patrol, sorry!"

"Oh, okay, bye!" Turning to Willow, Buffy couldn't hide the disappointment etched on her face. "He already left."


Graham set the phone back in the cradle turning to where Riley was sitting.

"She buy it?" Riley asked Graham.

"Yeah, I think she did." Graham said smiling.

"Good!" Riley finished putting on his suit jacket. "Okay, we should be there in an hour or so. Please have everything ready by then."

"You got it, Ri!"

"Thanks man, I owe you one." Grabbing an umbrella and several packages he Riley made his way out the door.


Willow had offered to let Buffy join them for a night of spells and fun at Tara's but Buffy had declined, she just wasn't in the mood. After changing into her "yummy sushi" pajamas, she curled up on her bed with a container of ice cream and listened to some music, her thoughts lingering on Riley. Tim McGraw's "It's Your Love" came on the radio causing Buffy to pause. This was the first song Riley and Buffy had- danced to wouldn't be the right words, more like stubbled through. The thought made Buffy smile.

Buffy had pleaded with Riley to dance with her. He had warned her that he could not dance, but she insisted. Since he could refuse her nothing Riley reluctantly led her out on the dance floor. Riley was doing well, only stepped on her foot twice. Then it happened. Riley had managed to step on her foot just as she was about to move her other one. Buffy lost her balance, reached out grabbing Riley's shirt, pulling him down with her. They landed on the floor in a heap. The crowd on the dance floor laughed as a red faced Riley helped Buffy to her feet. Buffy was laughing so hard that she could hardly stand up. He had been so apologetic and embarrassed. Buffy promised to give him dance lessons as soon as possible. Through the weeks Riley had improved greatly and could now make it through an entire song without apologizing for something.

A knock at the door brought Buffy back to reality. Thinking it might be Xander and Anya she called for them to come in.


Riley positioned himself in front of Buffy's door took a deep breath and knocked. After hearing her invite him in he entered the room to find a very surprised Buffy.


Buffy was more than shocked to see Riley. A very nicely dressed Riley at that. He was wearing a navy suit, with a light blue shirt and navy and yellow swirled tie.

"Riley? I thought you were patrolling." Grinning Buffy jumped off the bed, ran up to him and threw her arms around him.

"Surprise!" Riley exclaimed, his arms remaining around his back.

"Surprise? What kind of a surprise?" It was then that Buffy noticed Riley's arms behind his back.

"Willow told me you have been having a tough week so I thought I would surprise you tonight. Here, these are for you." Riley drew forth a dozen yellow roses.

"Riley, what have you done? You shouldn't have. The flowers are so beautiful." Buffy took the flowers in her arms and inhaled the aroma.

"They pale in comparison to you." Riley shot her a dazzling smile.

"Thank you Riley." Standing on her tippy-toes Buffy stretched out to touch her lips to his. Their soft kiss deepened becoming more passionate. Riley's arms circled Buffy's waist and he drew her nearer.

Breaking off the kiss Riley smiled down at Buffy, "Well, Miss Summers it looks like we will have to get you out of those clothes."

"I wouldn't complain." Buffy wagged her eyebrows suggestively.

"Though I wouldn't mind what I think you are suggesting, I have other plans. I only meant that your pajamas aren't exactly appropriate where I am taking you. Here these will work." Riley stepped out into the hall and retrieved several boxes. Handing them to Buffy he pecked her on the cheek and whispered. "I'll wait outside while you change." Closing the door behind him, Riley smiled to himself and found a chair to wait for her.


Buffy moved the packages over to her bed. Sitting down she opened the top package. To her surprise she found a pair of really nice black velvet, high heeled shoes. Trying them on, Buffy found they were a perfect fit. Moving onto the next box, she opened it to reveal a forest green shawl. Buffy ran her fingers over the satin material before setting it aside. The last package remaining held a beautiful black dress. It was the kind of dress one would wear to the prom. The dress was long, ankle length, with a slit on the left side that would go up to her mid-thigh. The spaghetti straps would go around her neck to hold the top of the dress up, leaving her back bare. After quickly undressing Buffy slipped the dress on. The dress, like the shoes, was a perfect fit. Walking over to the mirror, Buffy saw her reflection and got misty-eyed. Riley always finds some way to make her feel like a normal girl and she loved him for that. Not wanting to keep Riley waiting for too long, Buffy quickly dried her eyes and began working on her hair.


Riley knew Buffy would be excited about the opportunity to get dressed up and go out. He knew that he hadn't been paying as much attention to her as he would have liked. So he had decided to spend the whole night giving her all his attention. Plus it was a very important day. Having left both his pager and cell phone home and giving strict instructions to Graham that they were not to be interrupted, Riley found himself sitting outside Buffy's dorm room waiting for the girl of his dreams. As Buffy's door creaked open Riley stood up to greet her but found no words, he was awestruck by her beauty. Buffy twirled around giving him the full view. Riley's eyes wandered from her golden hair, to her beautiful face, down her bare back, and yet further down to the slit that showed her gorgeous legs. Right then he wanted to shove her back in the room, lock the door and ....but he couldn't, he needed to stick to the plan. "You look amazing!" Riley said after regaining his composure.

Buffy smiled and walked up to Riley and kissed him. "Thank you so much, its beautiful."

"You deserve it." Riley smiled down at her.

"How did you get the sizes so perfect."

"You have Willow to thank for that. I took her shopping a couple days ago and she helped me pick out the dress."

"Willow - I should have known. Did she know you were planning on doing this tonight?"

"She had the general idea."

"No wonder she didn't press me too hard to go with her to Tara's."

"Well, we better get going?" Riley said, offering Buffy his arm.

Pulling the shawl around her, she linked her arm in his. Riley noticed several freshman boys leering at Buffy on the way down stairs. He couldn't blame them, she looked awesome. It made him thankful that he was the one that was with her. Cuddling close together under the umbrella, Riley and Buffy made a dash for Riley's Explorer. Coming upon a large puddle, Riley opted to carry Buffy the rest of the way rather than ruin her new shoes. Opening the passenger side door, Riley slipped Buffy into the seat. Taking the umbrella from her, Riley close the door and walked around to the drivers side door and slipped behind the wheel.

"Sorry about the rain. I would have picked a better day, but today is special. Well, that is special to me anyway."

"What is today, Riley?" Buffy looked curiously at Riley. It wasn't her birthday that much she was sure. His birthday had also passed. Easter was the nearest holiday but that really didn't fit in the special category.

Riley grinned at her "You'll see!"

With that, Riley put the car in drive and they were off.

Buffy gazed at the rain as Riley drove through the town. The light grey clouds of the afternoon had been replaced by darker more ominous ones. The rain hit the windshield steadily as the wipers worked hard to expel the tiny drops from the glass.

Riley pulled into the deserted parking lot of Sunnydale City Park and was relieved to find an equally baron play yard. Looking in the distance Riley notice that Graham had completed the project and was nowhere in sight.

Buffy knew this park. She patrolled here at least once a week and rarely come across any demonic or vampiric activity. Buffy scanned the park, not sure why Riley had brought her here. Then she saw the gazebo.

Twinkly lights were wrapped around the poles and banisters, a table had been placed in the center and two chairs on either side. The table had been set for two and a red rose was placed in the middle. A stereo was off to the side along with a basket and blankets.

"Did you do all this?" Buffy said in awe.

"I had some help from Graham. Hold on." Riley jumped out of the drivers door making sure the umbrella was over him and made his way to Buffy's side. Knowing the ground would be soggy from the rain he gently put his arms behind her back and under her legs and pulled her to him. Shutting the door with his hip, Riley made his way to the gazebo.

Setting Buffy on the wooden steps Riley looked into her eyes and asked if she liked it. Buffy answered him by pressing her lips to his in a sweet kiss. "I love it, thank you!"

Riley guided Buffy over to the table and pulled out a chair for her. Buffy sat down as Riley scooted the chair in. Walking over to the basket Riley asked if Buffy was cold.

"Just a little!" she said trying not to visibly shiver.

Riley grabbed the large wicker basket and a blanket and brought them over to the table. Setting down the basket he wrapped the blanket around Buffy's tiny frame. Rubbing her arms Riley asked, "Is that better?"

"Yes, tons!"

Riley opened the basket and pulled out two hot steak dinners complete with bake potato and vegetables. Placing one in front of her and another in front of his chair, he began shifting through the basket. Not finding what he wanted in the basket, he began looking around the gazebo. His foot clanked against a metal bucket under the table and he bent down and with an "aha" he set the champagne and bucket on the table. Managing to get the cork off with little trouble, Riley poured Buffy and himself some of the cool liquid. Sitting back down across from Buffy, Riley raised his glass and motioned for her to do the same.

"To us?"

Buffy raised her glass and clanked it against Riley's. "To us!"

They sipped the champagne, ate their meal, and talked about their week. Topics ranged from Willow's recent spell blunder that had dyed Xander's hair blue for several days to Riley's grandmothers hip. Topping their meals off with strawberry cheesecake, Riley laid his napkin on the table and stood up. Walking over to the radio, Riley opened the CD compartment and after looking satisfied, he pushed play.

Dancing in the dark Middle of the night Taking your heart And holding it tight

"Buffy, will you dance with me?" Riley held out his hand to Buffy. Smiling Buffy graciously took his hand as he led her to a clear spot in the gazebo. Riley took her hand in his and place his other one on the small of her back. Buffy's free hand was placed on his right shoulder blade.

Emotional touch Touching my skin And asking you to do What you've been Doing all over again.

Swaying to the music, Buffy's thoughts wondered back to those thoughts in her room earlier. He had chosen the same song that they had first danced to.

Oh it's a beautiful thing Don't think I can keep It all in I just gotta Let you know what It is that just won't Let me go

"I hope I am doing better than the first time we danced to this." Riley whispered in her ear causing her to smile. Lifting her head, she gazed into his big blue eyes. She always found herself lost in those eyes.

Its your love It just does something to me Sends a shock right through me I can't get enough And if you wonder About the spell I'm under Oh its your love

"You know, there is a reason that I wanted to do something tonight, Buffy. Though, I really shouldn't have a reason, your reason enough. But I..."

"Riley, your babbling"

Better than I was More than I am And all of this happened By taking your hand

"Sorry, straight to the point." Riley stopped swaying and Buffy pulled back to look him in the face. "Six months ago today, I met someone who has turned my whole world upside down, inside out, and flat out made me see the world differently and not just because she dumped a load of textbooks on my head."

And who I am now Is who I wanted to be And now that were together I'm stronger than ever I'm happy and free

"At first she appeared to be the typical freshman girl. Nervous, unsure of herself. Then over the months I realized there was more to this beautiful young woman. She was loyal, caring, funny, smart, and strong. Through these past months I feel madly and deeply head over heels for this girl. She has taught me more about the meaning in love in the last half year than anyone else in my life. I never thought that I would ever feel this way about anyone. She has awaken feelings in me I never knew existed. I know that I don't do nearly as much as I should to return the favor but I wanted to let this precious woman know how much I love her. And I do Buffy. I love you!"

Oh it's a beautiful thing Don't think I can keep it all in And if you asked me why I changed All I gotta do is say your sweet name.

Tears streamed down Buffy's cheeks. She opened her mouth but was too chocked up with emotions to speak. Here, at this moment, with Riley's arms around her, with the rain pouring around them, in the dimly lit gazebo, Buffy realized how much she truly cared for Riley. Through her tears she whispered "I love you, so very much!"

Its your love It just does something to me Sends a shock right through me I can't get enough And if you wonder About the spell I'm under Oh its your love

Riley pulled Buffy gently to his chest. They stood there hugging each other, gently swaying, not wanting the moment to end.

After dancing for awhile, they found that it just wasn't enough. They had just barely made it to Buffy's room when the clothes started coming off. They had been all kissy and hands everywhere since they had entered Stevenson Hall. They got more than a few disgusted glares and a lot of longing looks as they made their way up to her room. Lowell House was throwing a party that promised to be loud and not wanting to disrupt the romance of the evening Riley and Buffy had adjourned to her room since Willow would be out all night.

Safely inside Buffy's room, Riley's jacket and tie were quickly she. Each others hands roaming, wanting to touch the other as much as possible. Buffy had managed to pull Riley's button down shirt out of his pants and was unbuttoning it as Riley found the tie to Buffy's dress at the back of her neck. Riley ran his mouth and tongue lovingly over Buffy's neck as he struggled to the tie loose. By the time he was done, Buffy had relieved him of his shirt. Pulling the strings of the dress off her neck Riley watched in awe as the dress slipped from her body revealing a completely naked Buffy underneath. His eyebrows went up questioningly. "No underwear?"

"You didn't buy me any!" She smiled playfully at him.

He grinned back. "Well, I'll have to forget to buy you the dress next time too!"

Buffy reached for Riley's belt and quickly dropped his pants to the floor leaving only his boxers. Pushing him onto his back on the bed she grabbed at the waistband of his boxers and pulled them off, flinging them across the room.

They made love for hours. All caressing touches, soft whispers and gentle loving words. Their passion consumed them, guided them. Each felt safe, happy, and loved. After exquisitely spending each other, they fell fast asleep in each other's arms knowing without a doubt what the other felt.


A crack of lightening filled Buffy's dorm room with a soft white light. The noises of student bustling about the hall brought Riley out of his dreams. Gazing around the room, it took him awhile to realize where he was. He had never slept over at Buffy's before. They had always been at his house. This was different but nice. Glancing over Buffy, who was sleeping nestled between his arm and chest, he checked the alarm clock and was surprised to find that it was almost 11:00 am. Though he wanted to stay just like this, with her in his arms, he had a mandatory meeting at 11:30 in the briefing room. Carefully, sliding his arm out from under her head, he slid out of the covers. Finding a pad and pen on the bedside table Riley quickly jotted down a note for Buffy so that she would know where he had gone. Finishing the note, he set it by the clock, knowing she would find it and he began to search for his clothing.

"Where are my boxers?" he whispered, not finding them near his other clothes. Widening his search he saw that they had landed near Willows laptop on her desk. He was about to go get them when the door flew open and Willow came to a screeching halt. He was about to offer her a good morning when he noticed her gaze had drifted down. Looking down, Riley realized how completely naked he was and quickly grabbed a pillow from Willows bed and covered himself. Hearing a soft "Wow!" He glanced back up to see Willow with a small smile, backing toward the door.

"I-I-I'll just wait outside." With that Willow quickly left closing the door behind her. Riley completely red with embarrassment quickly got dressed thing how he was never going to be able to look Willow in the face again. Kissing Buffy lightly on the forehead and taking a deep breath, he stepped out into the hallway.

Willow got up from the chair and stepped towards him. "Sorry about that, I didn't expect you to be here. I figured you would have gone to your place."

Not looking at her, he blushed and stated that it was alright.

"Did you have fun last night?" Willow asked then quickly added, "with the picnic?"

"Yeah, it was wonderful, thanks for all you did."

Anytime, I'm just glad I could help."

"Well," Riley said still staring at his feet, "I have a meeting I have to be at, so...."

"Oh, okay, bye."

Riley quickly rushed off leaving behind Willow, who secretly was glad she had come home when she did.


Buffy felt cold, rolling over she realized why. Riley was gone. Stretching out she glanced over to the clock. 1:00. Man, Riley really knew how to wear her out. Next to the clock she saw the message pad had been written on. Picking it up she noticed it was from Riley.

Buffy-

Sorry I had to leave before you woke, I had a meeting I had to go to. You looked so peaceful I didn't want to wake you. I must say you look amazing even when you sleep. Like an angel. I would have given anything to be there when you wake, but duty calls. I promise I will call you tonight after patrol.

I love you!

Riley

Quickly taking care of morning business, Buffy headed to Giles' for some training.


Buffy's body ached from the workout she had gotten from patrol that night. Six vampires had taken her on all at once and it took every ounce of energy and strength to dust them. Exhaustion consumed her to the point that she was tempted to stay at Giles' instead of walk all the way back to her dorm. Not wanting to miss Riley's call though, she trudged through the mud and puddles to arrive wet and tired at her dorm.

Willow was sitting on her bed when Buffy walked in "Hey Will, you will never believe the patrol I just had. There were ...." Noticing the tears streaking down Willow's face, Buffy rushed across the room throwing her arms around her friend. "Willow, what is it?"

"Oh Buffy." was all she could managed before sobs consumed her and her speaking became incoherent. "Ri....acci....slii....blood."

"Willow, I don't know what your saying, ssshhhh! Calm down!"

Taking a moment to regain her composure Willow started over. "Forrest called Buffy *sob* there was an accident. Riley and Graham were returning from *sob* patrol in Graham's car. A dump truck hydroplaned *choke* through a red light and slid into the intersection hitting the passenger side of the car. Riley *sob* he didn't make it."

"What do you mean Riley didn't make it?'"

"Buffy, I am so sorry, the doctors tried to do everything they could. He was bleeding so badly. Riley's dead Buffy, he's dead." Buffy stared at Willow in horror as the last words sunk in. Riley's dead.

"No, that's not right!" Buffy stood up, backing away from Willow as if she were a poisonous snake ready to strike. Willow reach for her friend as she saw tears begin to trickle down Buffy's cheeks. "Riley can't be dead." Buffy said as she choked on her tears. "He is suppose to call me tonight. He promised me he would call me. He and I are suppose to go to Huxley next month, we were going to live the rest of our lives together, happily ever after. He promised me. Riley never breaks a promise."

Willow tried to put her arms around the shaking hysterical Buffy, but was only pushed away. "Your wrong!" she screamed at Willow. "Your wrong!" she whispered as she collapsed on the floor in a heap sobbing uncontrollably. Willow knelt beside her friend and gently pulled her into a hug, stroking her hair and back. They stayed that way for hours, holding each other, crying grief taking each one over.


It was days before Buffy felt up to learning what exactly happened that night. Graham had finally been released from the hospital and Buffy found him in his room staring blankly at the wall. She brought him a bouquet of wild flowers and set them on his night stand. He didn't look at her. He just stared at the wall as she pulled up a chair.

Graham had sustained only mild injuries, a broken leg, concussion, several lacerations, and was one giant bruise. Buffy could see the pain etched across his face, not from physical pain, but from emotional.

"You must hate me." He said staring out the window at the rain gently trickling down it.

"Hate you? Why would I hate you?" Buffy questioned covering his had with her own.

"Because I am the reason Riley is dead." Graham whispered as a tear ran down his face.

"Graham, this is not your fault."

"Isn't it? I'm the one that suggested we patrol the outskirts, I'm the one that was driving."

"No, this isn't your fault. Riley wouldn't want you blaming yourself. Graham, I-I need to know. I need to know what happened that night. Please!"

Graham went through the story of how they had picked up some traces of activity outside of town. Graham thought it would be a quick, easy assignment for patrol duty so he and Riley took off in Graham's Geo Prism. Having only found some deer and squirrels, they decided to head back Riley had been so excited about finishing patrol early so he could spend some time with Buffy. He was grinning all the way back into town. They had slid several times themselves on the wet roads but thought nothing of it. They were half way through the intersection when Graham heard the crunching of metal and felt the car being pushed sideways. They came to a stop when the car hit a pole on the drivers side. Squishing the tiny car inwards. Graham had blacked out for a moment. When he came to, he heard soft moans. Opening his eyes he saw Rile covered in blood and glass from the shattered windows. Graham had called to Riley while trying to extract himself from the wreck. The driver of the dump truck had yelled to see if they were alright. Graham told him to call an ambulance as he finally pulled himself free of the seat and out onto the hood of the car. Quickly he positioned himself in front of Riley just as the other boy was opening his eyes. Riley groaned in pain as he tried to move. Graham told him to hold still, that help was on the way. Riley keep mumbling something about Buffy that Graham couldn't make out. Riley's eyes flittered closed. Graham quickly checked Riley's pulse. It was weak, but still there. That's when Graham noticed the piece of metal protruding from Riley's abdomen. Riley never, to Graham's knowledge regained consciousness. It had taken € ˝ hour to extract him from the wreckage. The doctors had done everything they could to save Riley, but after three hours of surgery Riley's body gave out.

Tears streaked down Buffy's face as she listened to Graham. Her heart breaking, knowing the pain Riley must have suffered during those moments of consciousness, yet his thoughts were of her.

"If I had just taken another street, or been more cautious Riley would be here now!" Graham said.

Buffy got off the chair and sat down beside him. Putting her arms around him, she kissed him on the forehead as Graham's tears began to matched her own.

"You were always a good friend to Riley. I know that he appreciated your companionship very much. I am glad he wasn't alone in those last precious moments. I am glad that it was you who was with him, comforting him, when I could not be." Buffy held Graham and for hours they shared Riley stories and found a little comfort in each other.

The End

 

<< back