"London By Moonlight"

Author: Nymue
Email: mllenymue@aol.com

We caught the tread of dancing feet,
We loitered down the moonlit street,
And stopped beneath the Harlot's house.
- Oscar Wilde

"I'm bored."

William raised his eyes from the evening paper and studied the young blonde who stood staring out the window.  Her posture screamed agitated, although her recent pacing would have given that away.  Even so, her nose was wrinkled and her color was high, all signs that this tiger didn't like cages.

Even cages covered in silks and velvet.

Buffy hummed under her breath to a tune she had heard at some point, whispering the only lyrics she could remember.  "Only a bird in a gilded cage ... "

Will grimaced.  Yes, she felt caged; more importantly, she recognized the feeling.  Unfortunately for him, she wanted out -- and he had promised his Sire to watch over her while the older vampire was in town on business.

"William," she crooned.

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty please with Angelus on top?"

Will was startled by her turn of phrase, but smiled at the thought.  "As much as I would enjoy that, no."

"Oh, come one, you know you're just as bored as I am.  I need some excitement, some space; I feel wired tonight," she argued.

"Buffy, sweeting," he said, exasperated.  "You know you have to stay here.  Between Nest's allies and spies and human Society ... we simply cannot risk being seen."

Buffy whined.

Will glared.  "No."

"Damn it!" Buffy screeched.  "I need to get out of this house!  I need some action!"

"Don't we all," William muttered.

All of a sudden, Buffy was calm - well, calmer.  She looked straight at William and said, "I need to kill something."

William stared for a moment, then stood up and tossed the paper aside as he headed for the door.  He glanced over his shoulder to see Buffy still standing in the same spot.  "Are you coming, or not?"

Buffy all but skipped down the drive towards the car, hastily tying the scarf around her head and buttoning the driving coat as she went.  As she reached the latest from the Daimler Motor Company, William stretched out a hand to help her up.  Once settled she pulled goggles from the bottomless pocket of her coat, and then they were off.

Buffy loved the car even it only went a whopping seventeen miles per hour.  The feel of the wind in her face, though, the blur of the scenery, reminded her a little of home.  William loved to quiz her about the types of cars yet to come, and she told him as much as she could.  Already, his favorites leaned toward the racecars, and she had no doubt that he would do his damnedest to buy the fastest cars as they came out.

"So, where are we going?"

Will never took his eyes off the road.  "London, of course."

Buffy rolled her eyes.  "Duh.  I meant, where in London?  Won't we run into Angelus?"

"Not too likely, as long as we steer clear of the townhouse.  How would you like to see Whitechapel?"

"As in Jack the Ripper's Whitechapel?" she asked incredulously.

Will nodded.  "Those are prime hunting grounds for just about anything."

"Ooohhh, that'll be fun.  But won't there be police around?"

"Well, you'll just have to be quiet then, won't you?" he smirked.

She smacked his arm.  "That was mean.  And totally uncalled for."

Will turned back to her with a grin.  "But very true."

Buffy fumed.

William laughed.

Crash!

"When I said I wanted to kill something," Buffy grunted as she landed a shattering blow to her opponent's kneecap while staking his partner, "I didn't mean I wanted a street brawl with a five to one ratio."

The evening had started out so well.  The two had reached London before nine o'clock and they had gone straight to Whitechapel where both had found the excitement they had been craving.  Buffy knew he had been hunting, but said nothing.  After the havoc the Ripper had wrought a few years earlier, few people ventured out at night except the homeless, the prostitutes and criminals.  She knew her hyperactive companion avoided prostitutes for the most part, so she was fairly certain that his victim either deserved the comeuppance he received or had been spared a lingering death.

Neither option eased her guilt, but at least she knew he wasn't eating an innocent person with some sort of future.

Next, he had taken her around the town, showing her a few of the sights: the Tower, Saint Paul's, Westminster Abbey, the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, St. Martin-in-the-Fields and the Convent Gardens.  They had wandered toward the University College in search of a pub and passed the British Museum; Buffy had a momentary pang of homesickness as she remembered Giles recounting his time there.

After a stop to 'refresh' themselves, they took the underground back toward Westminster.  It wasn't until they were strolling through the old Vaux Hall gardens on their way to collect the car that they ran into a problem.

Correction.  There were ten problems.

One of them should have sensed them sooner, but both had been so completely immersed in each other that neither had noticed.  In one moment, they were exploring each other, probing the possible depths of their mutual passion, and the next they were surrounded by ten vampires wearing the antiquated livery of their master.

"Bloody hell, it's Nest's goons," William swore under his proverbial breath.

"Uh oh," Buffy whispered.

A burly vampire with dirty blond hair came forward and pointed a finger at Buffy.  "Your little human pet killed two of ours this night.  Tradition dictates that her master punish her and make reparation to our clan, but since she is yours - "

"Angelus', actually," William cut in.

Burly waved a hand.  "The Right of the Lord allows that we must take her to the Master, to the leader of the Order of Aurelius."

Neither one needed any additional commentary to know that this was a Bad Thing.  But before William could try to extricate them, Buffy stepped forward and took the bull by the horns.  She sashayed up to Burly and ran a finger down his chest as she whispered, "You want me, Burly-boy, you have to catch me."  The next thing William knew her foot was in Burly's face and a stake was in his heart just before the goon turned to dust.

For a moment, there was a shocked silence.  Then the action exploded.

Punches and kicks flew with little fanfare, the vampires fighting with an almost desperate air as another, then three more of their rank turned to dust.  The remaining six split in half, attacking viciously as they tried to overcome the deadly duo their leader had severely underestimated.

As a shattered kneecap, courtesy of Buffy, sent a vampire to the ground, William swirled and drove a conveniently broken piece of wood through the its heart.  "What were you thinking?" he hissed to Buffy, as she punched one of the remaining vamps in the jaw.  "Killing Nest's guards?"

"I," kick -

Swing around, punch.  "didn't know -"

Spin kick, thrust.  "who -"

Dust.  Mission accomplished.  "I didn't know who they were," she told her companion.

William, who had the last remaining vampire in a headlock, looked at her in open astonishment.  "How could you not know!"

"Well, they didn't exactly introduce themselves," she retorted.

William snorted.  "Never mind, right now we have a very chance opportunity."

The vampire started squirming in earnest, only to stop when William nearly poked out an eye with his fist.  "What we have here is one of Nest's elite guards.  They are privy to their Sire and master's inner machinations, right?"

The guard was silent.

"Right," William drawled.  "So, what we want is information."

The guard remained resolute in his silence.

"Hmm, you know, I know lots of remedies to loosen a tongue," William told his prisoner.  "Unfortunately, time and location won't allow me the privilege of putting the tricks my Sire taught me into good use."

The prisoner blanched at the mention of Angelus.

"So, we'll just stick with brute force," William decided, as he reached down and snapped the guard's wrist.

A low whine escaped.

Buffy had watched the scene while fighting a bout of nausea, but the thought of her life getting any worse (and she knew the Master would definitely be worse) spurred her on.  She sank to knees with all the grace she could muster and ran a finger down the guard's face.  "Just talk to us, and we'll let you go," she whispered softly.

William restrained a growl at her ignorance.  "Even if we let him go, sweeting, which we won't, his master would kill him."

Buffy nodded her understanding.  "What would it be?" she asked, directing her question toward their prisoner.  "Would he stake you out for the sunrise?  Holy water refreshment?  Maybe slow starvation?  Or would he slowly dismember you, limb by limb like William wants to?  Hmmm?  Tell us what we want to hear and we'll make it quick."

The whine turned to a whimper, and the beaten and bloody guard looked up at the woman in front of him.  She had fought well, very well, much too good for the woman of quality she appeared to be, and she exuded a strangely unsettling presence that was oddly familiar ...

"Slayer," he hissed.

She nodded and, despite his circumstance, the guard felt a flash of awe for the vampire that had tamed their most feared adversary.  Buffy shifted and his eyes landed on her neck, affording him a glance of the scar she carried there.  Astonishment and curiosity filled the vampire then; not only tamed, but claimed by a vampire as well.  Remembering his opponent's earlier words, he felt an oddly placed sense of pride - she had been claimed by Angelus, another member of their clan, a master among the Order of Aurelius.

"Do you promise?" he rasped.

It took Buffy a moment to figure out what he meant.  "Yes," she told him.

"He's moved into the lower caves, outside the city.  The house here in London is a ruse, as it always has been.  He wants to distract Angelus, why I'm not sure ... "

"But," William prompted.

"He's sending out summons to the closest members of the Order and inviting other clans to his ceremony ... but he doesn't want Angelus to know ... "

"Is that all?"

The guard nodded, and a second later he was dust.

William scowled, looking like a child who deprived of a toy.

"I promised," was all Buffy said.

The drive back was eerily silent.  No arguments, no lectures, no angry accusations, no stilted conversations ... no jokes, no laughs ... nothing.  Only the sound of the engine and tires as they rolled down the road.

When we got back we found an extremely pissed off Angelus waiting for us in the study.  He took one look at us and dismissed me, telling me to go to my room.  On any other night I would have stood my ground and argued with him, but I was so exhausted that I merely turned and made my way upstairs.  Half an hour and a hot bath later I feel asleep in my bed.  Alone.

Alone for the first time since I'd arrived.

Late the next afternoon Angelus cornered me in a windowless alcove in the library and proceeded to lecture me on the carelessness of our actions in a deathly low, even voice.  Yes, he admitted, the information we acquired would no doubt be useful, but we had disobeyed him and very nearly been caught by Nest.

I half expected him to hit me, or toss me over his knee like he did on my birthday.  But he did nothing but tell me I acted foolishly, rashly, yada yada yada.  All that accomplished was to make me worry about Will, because he was usually up before Angelus ... and I hadn't seen him.

Angelus apparently guessed, or knew (he's as good as you at reading me) the direction of my thoughts, because he told me he should thrash me (his words).  That I deserved to be whipped for my actions, for endangering myself, William, and nearly destroying months of careful work.

Did you know he's good with a guilt trip?

Well, part of a guilt trip?

I was worried about Will, I really was.  Angelus is never this calm until he's vented his rage ... but then, you know that.

He growled and I snapped out of my reverie, but this time there was a definite edge to his words as he told me that by all rights he should chain me to his bed and beat me until I bled, until I begged for undeserved mercy.  That I deserved to be beaten senseless ...

I rounded on him then, my voice as low and cool as his.  "Do you want me to be another Drusilla?  Do you?  Do you want me cowering in fear, completely subservient?  A mad, but sexually available partner?"

His eyes flashed gold and he snarled, his face morphing with anger.  Right then and there I really expected to be beaten, but he turned on his heel and stormed out.  Even as I sank back into my chair, I heard the front door slam and I knew he was going to go kill someone.

Violently, viciously, sadistically.

But right then I couldn't work up the nerve to care - I was too worried about William.  I sat for about five minutes before I left the room and went upstairs ...

Buffy climbed the stairs, her apprehension building with each step.  Could Angelus really hurt his Childe, his favorite?  Yes, a part of her brain assured her, he most certainly could - and would if provoked.  With this in mind she quickened her steps, reaching the landing in half the time and running at full tilt down the hall, throwing open the door to William's room without stopping.  A quick scan found the object of her quest on his bed, sprawled on his stomach ... because his back was a mass of still healing lashes.

Buffy swallowed.

A shove sent the door closed, and she carefully approached the bed, unwilling to wake him if he was still sleeping.  He looked paler than normal, and it was clear he should have been healing more quickly than he was.  The bite mark on his neck, and the blood on the globes of his ass were more telling than words could be.

His blue eyes opened and he saw her standing by the bed, tears forming in her eyes.  "Buffy," he started, his voice weak.

"William," she breathed, tears slipping down her face.  "Oh, Will, what have I done?"

He shook his head a little and reached out an arm.  Buffy toed off her shoes and climbed up on the bed, maneuvering so that she lay under him, his head pillowed on her breast.  He burrowed his face into the silk and lace for a moment, then turned his head to side so he could speak.

"He was angry ... you know, you must know, by now ... "

Buffy nodded, and made an affirmative noise.

"Did he, did he ... " the questioned remained unspoken.

"No," Buffy told him softly.  "He didn't touch me."

"I lied ... told him it was my idea, but he knew ... it was worse then, after, because he was so di-dis-disappointed with me ... "

"My fault," she whispered.

She felt Will shake his head.  "Mine, too ... without me ... "

But she caught his meaning.  "I might have found a way.  You never know."

Buffy felt him smile.  "Maybe, still ... told him not to hurt you ... "

The sick feeling that had been building in the pit of her stomach tripled at this, and Buffy burst into tears.  "Do you hate me?" she asked through her tears.

"No, no hate ... mistake ... big mistake ... been there before ... should never have left ... fun though ... "

"But was it worth this?"

A small chuckle, followed by a groan stopped whatever response he was going to make.  Buffy studied him closely, realizing after a moment what was wrong.  She glanced around for the telltale decanter, but couldn't find one.  Surely even Angelus wasn't that cruel ...

William shrugged, wincing as the movement pulled at the wounds.  "Needs to ... be fresh ... have to get up ... "

Buffy shook her head.  "No, don't move."

"Need ... "

"I know," she whispered as the unbuttoned her blouse and cast it aside.  The corset was next, then she unlaced her chemise and pulled his mouth to her breast.  The scent of warm, powerful blood was too much for William, and Buffy bit her lip as his fangs slid into her skin.  She held his head, running fingers through his hair as he sucked at the small wounds.

He lifted his head, eyes glowing, and Buffy gave him her arm this time, knowing her would get more sustenance that way.  Soon he was swallowing mouthfuls, and she could swear she actually saw his wounds start to heal further and start to fade.  After a few minutes he released her arm and rested his head on her breast again, his eyes falling shut as she hummed a lullaby from her childhood.  Weakened from the blood loss, her eyes slid shut as her body healed, and she joined him in sleep.

Angelus found them that way hours later, and stared long and hard at the two most important people in his life.  A little voice inside him demanded more satisfaction, but it was quickly and easily quelled.  He had more than punished his beloved Will, and he knew Buffy's guilt was worse than any physical pain he could have inflicted.

No, no more need be done except let them sleep.  William, he knew, understood everything - it was simply the way vampires operated.  Buffy, though, would have to learn her place amongst them, learn what was expected of her.

That, too, could wait, though, he realized.  Right now the most important thing was that they were safely ensconced in his home - their home - not prisoners of Nest.  And he would make sure that the minions didn't snack on the fresh young thing he had brought home for his Childe.

His mind made up, Angelus covered them with a duvet and left tem to their rest.

Tomorrow, he promised himself, tomorrow everything will be back to normal.

 

The End

 

<< back