"Traditions"
Or "The Rights Of The Sire"

Author: Nymue
Email: mllenymue@aol.com

Affections, Instincts, Principles, and Powers,
Impulse and Reason, Freedom and Control
- Matthew Arnold

Journal of Buffy Summers -- 29 January, 1899

My dearest Angel,

Time just keeps slipping by, but at a snails pace; somedays I wonder if I'll ever see you again. I hope you're helping the gang as much as you can -- I know your work is in LA. I hope all of you are getting on with life, learning to live without me. Not a new thing for the others, though. But I can't help myself. I miss your little half-smile, the way you always supported me, even your brooding. And I miss your love. I miss you.

Then there's Angelus. In some ways he reminds me of you, and not just physically. He wants to protect me, just as you did; the difference is that you always backed me up in a fight -- he tries to keep me out of a fight. He treats me like I'm a delicate flower that needs to be carefully tended and shielded, nevermind that he knows I'm the Slayer. He likes that I'm strong, but he wants me to be submissive. Of course, two weeks ago I forced the issue, made him realize that I'm just as much a predator as he is. And a damned good one at that. It didn't go over well, even though William and I got some very good information about the Master's ceremony. But that's another story.

Somedays I look at him and, just for a moment, he's you. Sometimes when he holds me, cradling me against his chest as he reads to me ... I know it sounds strange, but every now and then he'll look at me with those eyes, dark and intense and full of ... I'm not sure. Passion, desire? Yes. Obsession? Most definitely. Possessiveness? Resounding YES! Love? I don't know. I know that vampires *can* love, just look at Spike -- or William for that matter. Both of them loved Drusilla ... and I know now that they both loved Angelus.

Have you realized yet that almost all Spike's anger toward you is because he still loves you?

Am I sublimating my love for you onto Angelus? And if I am, how do I explain my growing feelings for William? Am I a victim of the Stockholm Syndrome (I remember parts of it from Walsh's class)? Or am I genuinely coming to care for them both -- separate and apart from you and Spike?

Oh, god, Angel I'm so confused ...

A knock on the door echoed off the walls of the library in the west tower, startling Buffy from her self-contemplation, and she dropped her pen. It bounced off the floor, and fell from the third floor landing where she was sitting, the ink splattering onto the floor at the nervous maid's feet.

"Milady?" the maid called, craning her neck upwards.

Buffy swore under her breath as she closed her journal and returned it to its hiding place, and pushed her chair back as she descended the stairs that ran along side the walls. She had just stepped onto the landing between the second and ground floors when the maid spotted her. Buffy groaned inwardly, it had to be her ...

"Fiona," Buffy started. "Is there a problem?"

The nervous looking maid, Fiona, seemed unable to answer the question. She sucked in a breath, and let her message out in a rush. "I'm-sorry-to-disturb-you-milady-but-your-dinner-is-ready." Mission accomplished, she fled the room without so much as a by-your-leave.

Buffy frowned, and looked out the window. Sure enough, the sun was still shining; it was barely five in the afternoon. Curious, and a little alarmed, she made her way through the halls until she reached the foyer where the butler, Magnus, was directing a bevy of maids, all of whom seemed unusually rushed. Frowning, she waited until almost all had left before she approached him.

He noticed her immediately. "My lady," he intoned, his head inclined respectively. "Did Fiona find you?"

"Yeah," she answered. "But I'm a little confused. I don't usually have dinner for another hour. And all these preparations ... What's going on?"

"His Lordship asked that the guestrooms be opened, my lady, before sunset."

Buffy's confusion deepened. "And dinner?"

Magnus looked surprised. "You did not know, my lady? His Lordship has given the all of the staff, save the cook and her necessary helpers, and myself, leave for the next week."

Suddenly something clicked in her mind, and Buffy felt like smacking herself. *Of course ... the Master's ceremony ... all the 'guests' are probably the leaders of the clans under Angelus' control.* A rueful smile crossed her face, and she said, "Thank you, Magnus."

"Shall I have someone escort you to the dinning room, my lady?" he asked.

"No, thank you. I'll be fine on my own," she replied, as she started down the hall towards her dinner.

Again the butler inclined his head, and murmured, "My lady."

Forty-five minutes, two large slices of mincemeat pie, a bowl of cooked carrots and onions, and a handful of macaroons later, Buffy climbed the stairs in search of her lovers. She doubted they were up yet; they usually rose and left to feed during her typical dinner hour. Nagging feelings of guilt and anger invaded her mind at the thought of them feeding on innocent humans, but she shoved it aside. Hopefully she could get some straight answers that would either confirm or dispel her suspicions.

William groaned. Angelus was teasing him, slowly thrusting inside him and just barely caressing his fully erect cock. Sweet agony, what his sire was doing, and so wonderful. He relished this time of the day, their time, when they were alone and free to indulge themselves. "Please ..." he implored his sire.

A strange look swept Angelus' face, a look of possession and affection, and he thrust deeply inside his childe. William moaned, and thrust his hips back as he clamped down on his sire's shaft. Angelus hissed in pleasure and leaned over William, latching onto the nape of the other vampire's neck, not breaking the skin, just biting down.

"Don't come," Angelus rasped as he thrust harder, his fingers dancing over William's manhood.

Buffy was breathless. Why was it that she always seemed to be walking in on them? *Who cares? Just look at them ...* And when she heard Angelus' words as his eyes met hers, she forced herself to suppress a moan, and leaned back against the wall, tightly clenching her thighs together. Smirking, he shook his head and returned his attention to William.

When Angelus thrust deeply and sank his fangs into his childe's neck, his orgasm washing over him, William howled his release and spilled his seed onto the silk sheets. Unable to hold himself up any longer, William collapsed onto his stomach, turning his head when his sire remained on his knees instead of joining him in post-coital bliss.

Her heart was racing, Buffy realized, and she could practically feel the blood rushing through her veins. It was becoming difficult to breathe. Angelus raised his black eyes to her, beckoning her forward as William realized her presence. He looked to his sire and, after a moment of wordless communication, knew what the elder vampire wanted.

Rising from the bed William approached Buffy, coming to stand behind her. She tried to pull away as his nimble fingers undid the buttons on her blouse, but a sharp look from Angelus stilled her. "Stand still, Buffy," he commanded.

Buffy forced herself to stay still, although she couldn't stop trembling. Gooseflesh covered her skin as the soft silk fell away leaving her bare. She should fight this, she thought as William divested her of her skirts and petticoats, leaving her clad in nothing but a corset and lace stockings held up by garter belts. But there was something happening, nothing she could identify, but it was something she could feel in her bones and in her blood.

And so she stood still as William peeled the last of her garments from her body, leaving her covered in gooseflesh and trembling in lust.

Angelus appraised his young lover carefully. She looked delectable, trembling with unfulfilled lust, her desire and frustration evident on her face. His eyes raked her body, and he was delighted to see her juices running down the inside of her legs. William had finished pulling the pins from her hair, and was carefully brushing the golden waves that fell in soft waves below her shoulders. Her eyes were dark, and silent tears of need streaked her flushed face, telling him that she was willing to do anything to have him sate her lust. Angelus smiled.

Perfect.

It took Buffy's lust addled mind a moment to realize that Angelus was gesturing for her to come to him, but she snapped to reality the minute William smacked her bottom with the back of the brush. Yelping, she scooted forward in an attempt to get away from the brush wielding vampire behind her. Angelus chuckled, and if possible his eyes grew even darker. Glancing at the brush, he and William shared another moment of silent conversation. Both smiled.

William directed Buffy to the foot of the bed, as Angelus climbed off to stand beside her. He slipped two fingers under her chin, tipping her face up to look in her eyes. Whatever he saw must have pleased him; he nodded to William, who climbed onto the bed. Angelus pushed Buffy up against the footboard, and she tipped forward, the wood cutting into her hips. William pinned her upper body to the mattress, and immobilized her arms. Buffy felt a frission of fear run through her as Angelus ran a finger down her back.

"Stay still," he told her, "and do exactly as I say."

Buffy whimpered, pressing her face into the sheets. Although she knew what was coming, it was still a shock when the first blow landed, the cool metal of the brush meeting her sensitive flesh, and she cried out at the sudden pain. Almost immediately Angelus was running a soothing hand over the stinging skin, murmuring endearments to her.

Innumerable blows fell, and Buffy moaned aloud. The pain ricocheted through her system, her overly sensitized flesh starting to feel tight. The worst part, she realized, was that she was still aroused -- and the blows only intensified her desire. She shifted on her feet trying to deflect his blows to another spot, and got a sharp, hard smack that caused her to screech for her trouble.

Angelus smiled at the sight she presented. She was bent over his bed, her bottom was bright red from his ministrations. She whimpered, her breath hitching, and his cock hardened. Soon, he promised himself, very soon.

"Do you understand, Buffy, how pain can lead to pleasure?" Angelus asked, trailing his fingertips over her quivering bottom.

A strangled sound emerged from the back of throat.

"Hmmm?" he pursued, pinching her abused flesh between his thumb and forefinger. "Do you understand?"

Buffy shrieked at the pain, and gasped, "Yes!"

Angelus released his hold, and went back to stroking her bottom. Buffy shuddered, her entire body tense from the pain, and from her impending orgasm. She should hate this, hate them for doing this, but she didn't.

Suddenly, Angelus rained another volley of blows down onto her abused flesh. Shocked, Buffy gave a short scream and tried to twist away. The two vampires immediately clamped down on her, holding her in place. When she stilled, Angelus stepped away for a moment, and from out the corner of her eye Buffy saw him retrieve something from a side table. It was, she realized with dawning fear and a surge of lust, the braided whip she had seen that first night, the night her world turned upside down.

Angelus trailed the whip along her back. "I told you to stay still, my love," he whispered. "Why must you constantly fight me, fight the exquisite pleasure I can give you? Submit, my love, submit and free yourself from the burden of having to choose."

"Let go, sweeting," William whispered, speaking for the first time. "Just let go."

Even as the first strokes of the whip fell across the back of her thighs, Buffy warred with herself. Her pride, her principles told her not to give in, that to submit was to loose herself. If she submitted, she would be a disgrace to her calling, and she would cease to be herself. *And this differs from your present, how?* a little voice questioned. *You let them hunt every night, and you only tried to stop them once. They provide for you, they take care of you, they make love to you everyday and every night. You've already submitted in all the ways that count. And in return you have what you've always wanted: you have your mate, and he won't leave you -- EVER. All he's asking is for you to admit the truth.*

As the whip cracked across her sore bottom, Buffy gave another short shriek, and fresh tears rolled down her face. She could feel her clit pulsing, and knew she was close to the edge. It would take so little ...

Buffy felt a sharp sting on the sensitive flesh behind her knees, and nearly collapsed. William tightened his grip on her upper body, and she felt Angelus stroking her back again. "Who do you belong to, Buffy?" he asked her, his voice low and deadly serious.

Moaning in pain and lust, Buffy felt her pride crumble. She managed to rasp out, "You, Angelus, I belong to you."

She barely registered the sound of the whip hitting the floor as his fingers danced across her swollen, dripping sex. She shuddered and pushed her hips back, eager to have him inside her.

"Soon, my sweet, soon," he whispered. "But Buffy," he started, raising his voice a little, "will you accept our laws, our traditions, as your own? Will you be ruled by me, and accept your position as my childe and consort, even though you are not one of us?"

Even through the haze of overwhelming lust, Buffy understood his meaning. If she agreed, she would be acknowledging him as her sire even though she was not, and never would be, a vampire. In effect, she would be placing herself squarely under vampiric laws which, as Angelus had pointed out weeks ago, never changed. There would be no 'outs' or escape clauses.

"Yes," she sobbed, past caring about her principles. "I accept. Please ... "

Sweet triumph raced through Angelus, and he buried himself inside her immediately, feeling her heat burn him deliciously.

Buffy exploded the moment he entered her, the pressure enough to send her over the edge. She screamed long and loud, releasing all her frustration and need as her body was racked with wave after wave of pleasure. As Angelus continued to pound inside her, she felt herself climaxing over and over again.

"Mine," Angelus hissed as her silken walls clamped down with the force of her orgasm, squeezing him tightly. "Mine, mine, mine."

She moaned and whimpered, tossing her head back and forth as he pounded into her. His litany continued, and only ended when she felt him explode within her, just before he roared and sank his fangs into the back of her neck. Buffy screamed as she tipped over the edge again, coming from his bite.

As she came down she felt her knees buckle, but before she could fall Angelus had scooped her up and deposited her on the bed. She hissed as her sore and abraded flesh rubbed against the sheets, but William immediately turned her on her side, soothing her with little touches. He pulled her back against him, and she gave a little moan as she came into contact with his cool flesh ... and rock hard erection. She gasped, and looked up to see Angelus watching them, the deep ridges of his true face framing his saffron eyes that glowed with possessiveness.

He gave a little nod. William lifted one of her legs over his hip, causing her to hiss. Before she could recognize what was happening he had entered her, and she whimpered. Angelus laid down on his side next to her, leaning on his elbow, watching them. As William's thrusts became more intense, Angelus trailed a finger over her swollen and distended clit. Buffy cried out, her body arching forward, her sugared walls clamping down on William's cock. He growled, sinking his teeth into her neck as he came, spilling his essence inside her. Buffy trembled, still on edge. Angelus smiled, then pinched her tender pearl, and she shattered again, her body convulsing.

When she stopped shaking, Buffy lay on the bed, absolutely exhausted. As her breathing returned to normal, the ramifications of what had just happened began to sink in. She had submitted to Angelus, surrendered herself. But before she could really process this, Angelus sat up, his eyes traveling up and down her body.

"Mine," he said, his eyes fierce. "My Buffy, all mine."

He growled then, and Buffy felt something inside her melt in reaction to the sound. Then his growl deepened, and she knew he was not only looking at her, but William as well. She heard William give a soft rumble in response, and she whimpered as something inside her welled up. Angelus' growl turned into a purr, and he leaned over, trailing his lips along her collar bone and across her shoulder. William rumble again, a sound almost like a whine. As Buffy looked on, Angelus kissed the other male deeply, then carefully sank his fangs into his childe's throat. To her surprise Angelus reciprocated, allowing William to drink from him, though not for very long.

Sighing softly, Buffy rolled over onto her belly, her limbs splayed to either side. Before long she had dozed off, much to the amusement of the two vampires.

"Should we wake her?" William asked.

"No, let her sleep for now," Angelus answered. "We still have a few hours before the others arrive, and even then the gathering will likely not commence until after midnight."

"What made you sure she would submit?" William wondered aloud.

Angelus smiled, a dark, silky look of lust and possession. "Consider it ... instinct. I was not sure she would, but it seemed likely. It's just as well; I won't have to force her hand tonight."

William nodded, his eyes straying to the exhausted blonde sleeping on his sire's bed. Her sire now, too. Why she submitted he did not know, possibly out of unfulfilled lust; but he was sure it wouldn't last. She was far too brash and independent minded to allow anyone to fully dominate her for very long. She would do what she had to do, of course, but no more. He smiled, imagining the turn their lives were about to take. No doubt even Angelus was in for a few more surprises.

Buffy blinked her eyes open, pushing herself up only to find her muscles protested. She stopped, rolling over as the events of the evening flooded her mind. Managing to achieve an acceptable upright position, she let her eyes and mind wander.

The bedroom was devoid of any life save herself. However, clothes were strewn over several surfaces, a testament to the fact that someone had been searching for the perfect outfit. She winced as she stood up, her flesh telling her that even immortals had limits. However, before she had a chance to ponder her predicament any more, the door opened to admit William, resplendently dressed for a formal occasion.

"You're awake," he said, surprise etched on his face.

"Mmhmm," was her only response.

He chuckled. "There's a hot bath waiting for you, sweeting. Come on," he pulling her through a side door.

"Buffy want bath," she mumbled as he led her into the bathroom, where a tub full of steamy, jasmine scented water waited. As she slid into the warm haven, she felt her tense muscles start to relax. The spicy scented steam tickled her nose, and she sneezed.

William smiled. "I'll leave you and the water to get acquainted. We'll be in the dressing room when you finish."

Not bothering to ponder his words, Buffy sank farther into the water and proceeded to forget her troubles.

An hour later, a flushed but clean Buffy, smelling rather strongly of oil of jasmine, walked into the dressing room wrapped only in a towel. She was met not only by William, but Angelus as well, who was dressed just as formally. He smiled at her, and tugged the towel down and gestured for her to sit on a round vanity ottoman. Curious, she obliged, and soon found that Angelus was arranging her hair in an elaborate coiffure, threading the ruby and onyx chains, the ones she remembered from the first night, through her locks before pinning them up.

While Angelus was busy with her hair, William knelt at her feet, pulling black silk stockings up her legs. When her hair was finished, she stood up and allowed them to fit the black corset around her upper body. Unlike the others she had worn recently, this one was heavier, the stays forcing her to maintain a specific posture. As Angelus fastened the rows of laces along the back, William hooked the stockings to the tiny garter belts, then slid her feet into satin slippers.

Buffy was surprised to find that there were no underskirts, but her surprise turned to shock when she saw the dress. It was almost medieval in design, with long, fitted sleeves, a square neckline and drop waist. Made entirely of black velvet, the edgings were done in red and silver. The bodice, however, was red satin banded with black velvet. And sewn onto each side of the bodice, each perfectly spaced, were three rubies, which formed the ends for three strands of onyx chains that glittered against the satin.

It was surely a work of art, one that Buffy was a little apprehensive about wearing. But her lovers gave her no choice, and before she knew it they had carefully pulled the dress over her head, all without displacing any part of her coiffure. The dress fitted like a second skin, as if it had been designed with her in mind, only flaring slightly below the drop waistline. A glance at Angelus confirmed her suspicions.

As Angelus retrieved another box from a nearby table, Buffy turned to the side, noticing that the dress was scalloped, providing her with a small train. William smiled at her, his eyes dancing with amusement as he watched her. She was beautiful ... they would be the envy of every vampire in Britain ...

When Angelus opened the box, Buffy learned yet another lesson. This time, it was the difference between jewelry and jewels. What the box held was most assuredly NOT jewelry. Instead, he placed a silver choker around her neck, one that was merely a setting for the rubies and onyx that glittered when the light shone on them. Next came the earrings, also of silver and set with rubies and onyx.

Last was the ring, a wide silver band that contained a single stone -- a ruby and an onyx that had been magickally melded together. An 's' shaped swirl split the circular stone, separating the two gems. Angelus slid the ring onto her left ring finger, where she had once worn a claddagh. Once in place, he brushed his lips across the ring, before turning her palm upward and placing a kiss in its center.

William guided her to a vanity, where a tug of wall drapery revealed a full-length mirror. Buffy gasped at her reflection, unable to believe what she was seeing. Somehow this was worse than when she had last seen herself in the mirror ...

"Who are you?" she whispered, looking at the woman in the mirror.

Angelus bent and placed a kiss on her neck above the choker. "My love," he whispered.

Fingers brushed the top of her hand, and William nodded to Angelus and said, "It's time."

The great hall of the chateau-esque mansion was filled with so many vampires that Buffy thought her spider sense would burn out from being overwhelmed.  Never had she seen so many in one place, even counting when she burned down the gym at Hemery.  And they weren't all minions and fledglings, either.  By the looks of things, she mused, their were at least twenty other masters present.

She wanted to run and hide; anywhere was preferable to here.  But Angelus kept one hand on the small of her back in a steadying and possessive manner, preventing her from bolting.  So she concentrated on trying to slow her rapid breathing, and let her lover lead her across the room.

Whispers were everywhere, and most were about her, she realized.  Buffy even noticed some downright hostile looks being shot her way, but no one made a move.  It was his presence -- these vampires had allied themselves with Angelus, and if he chose to bring a Slayer into their midst then surely there was a reason.  Shivering, she pressed closer to him, causing a smile to play along her lover's lips.

When they reached the end of the hall, Angelus turned to address the assemblage.  Buffy tried to pay attention, but more and more her eyes darted to the almost hungry looks she was getting from those vampires closest to her.  She noticed William following her gaze and he frowned, before directing a sharp look at the nearest offenders.  They subsided, casting wary glances at Angelus, who by now had the entire hall in the palm of his hand.

As Angelus ended his speech, most of the minions showed signs of restlessness.  They milled about, eager to be released to go hunt -- or gorge themselves, if their host saw fit to provide them with fresh victims.  The masters, however, were less eager to leave.  Their was still one point of contention.

One of the masters, called Xanthos my his childer and minions, voiced their collective concern.  "All is as you say, Angelus.  And we have all agreed that Master Nest has to destroyed; he has, after all, broken several of our laws, and wronged us all in some respect.  But Angelus, you have brought a Slayer to this gathering.  Why?"

Echoing murmurs swept through the crowd.  Angelus merely smiled, and turned to bring Buffy forward so that she was facing the assembled masses.  He let his hand drift across her exposed shoulder, caressing the smooth skin that soon flushed because of his attentions.  Lowering his head, he kissed her neck and she whimpered, baring her throat to him in front of the shocked onlookers.

"This Slayer," Angelus told Xanthos, "has been displaced from another world.  The Powers, in their infinite wisdom," he continued (though Buffy thought his mention of the Powers was rather sarcastic), "decided that since she could not be returned to her world, she would be rendered immortal.  Given a choice, she decided to remain with me rather than return to the Watchers.  She is mine."

A shocked silence descended over the crowd in the hall.  "And, since you brought up our laws, Xanthos, perhaps you would like to assist in fulfilling one of our older traditions," Angelus said, as William brought a silver goblet and a flagon of what might be wine to a small table beside them.

When the vampires saw the goblet and flagon, along with the dagger Angelus had produced, most of the older members edged forward, eager to see a ritual most had only heard about.  Xanthos nodded and stepped forward, having participated in said ritual a few centuries before.  William held the goblet as Xanthos used the dagger to slice Angelus' wrist open, his crimson blood coating the silver bottom.  Then, just as quickly, he sliced Buffy's wrist, and let her blood mingle with Angelus'.  William tipped the contents of the flagon into the goblet, and all across the silent hall a sizzling could be heard as the contents turned black.

Xanthos turned to Angelus.  "We have many ancient traditions, many laws that govern our kind, most unknown by mortals.  You seek to bind this Slayer to yourself, to claim her in front of all present.  When this is done she will be as your childe, forever yours.  Will you accept responsibility for her and her actions?"

Angelus let his eyes travel over the face of his slayer.  "I accept this responsibility, to be her sire."  Nodding, Xanthos handed him the goblet, and Angelus drank deeply.

Xanthos then turned to Buffy.  "Young Slayer, will you accept Angelus as your liege lord and master?  He will wield the Rights of the Sire; you will be his childe.  Will you accept this, and agree to be bound by our traditions?"

Her heart racing, Buffy's eyes met Angelus'.  So this was why he wanted my submission, she thought.  If I submitted to him in private, then why not in public?  Licking her lips, Buffy looked up at Xanthos.  "I accept," she said, her voice little more than a whisper -- but heard throughout the hall.  Tilting the goblet, she drank, wondering at the sweet taste before a stinging fire swept through her veins, nearly tumbling her to her knees.

As Angelus wrapped his arms about her, Xanthos showed the empty goblet to the crowd.  "From this night forward," he announced, "this Slayer is Angelus' childe.  Let no demon attempt to deny his claim."  With that he turned and hurled the goblet into the fire, just as Angelus pierced the sweet flesh of Buffy's throat.

The roar that echoed off the walls was the last thing Buffy recalled before she slipped into oblivion.

Buffy was dreaming.  She knew she was because she was sitting on her bed in the dorm facing Willow, who had just asked her a question.

"Sorry, Will, what was that?"

"I said, what am I doing in your dream?"

"I don't know.  Maybe you're supposed to represent another part of my subconscious."

Willow cocked her head, assessing this possibility.  Then she nodded.  "I think you're right.  And I think you have questions to ask."

Buffy sighed.  "Was I right, Will?  Was I right to give in, to submit to Angelus, without a fight?"

Willow shrugged.  "Could you fight?  Could you leave?"

Buffy frowned.  "Not really, and no."

"Then did you have a choice?"

Buffy thought for a moment.  "I don't guess so.  I think I gave up my choices when I chose to stay with Angelus.  Does that make sense?"

Willow nodded.  "But remember, Buffy, circumstances can change, will change, because change is the only constant."

"But Will, I think I'm starting to love Angelus ... and William.  Is it love?  Or just longing and lust rolled up in a ball?  Am I projecting my love for Angel onto them?"

Willow shook her head slowly as the room started to fade.  "Only you know the answer to that ... "

"Will," Buffy mumbled, pushing the offending hand away.  "Don't go, Will ... "

William chuckled.  "I'm right here, sweeting.  You need to wake up."

Buffy slowly became aware of her surroundings.  She was laying on a low couch in second floor drawing room, and could here the sound of hundreds of vampires preparing for a battle from below.  With William supporting her back, she sat up, her eyes searching the room.  "Where's Angelus?"

"One of the defector's from Nest's clan had some information for him.  Don't worry, sweeting, he'll be back soon.  Do you want anything?" William asked.

She nodded.  "Something to drink -- something that is not brandy."

"I'll be back in a moment, then," he said, kissing her forehead.  "Stay here."

As the door clicked shut, Buffy leaned back against the cushions and tried to assess the situation.  On some level, she realized, she wanted to stay with Angelus.  Even more, she wanted to be his -- his lover, his wife, his consort, even his childe.  She wanted his protection, his adoration ... his love?  After all, this was an easier life, in some respects, than one she left behind in Sunnydale.  No risking her life every night (immortality certainly had its perks), no trying to balance school and slaying, no one telling her that she couldn't be with her lover ...

But it had its drawbacks as well.  She lived with vampires, demons who did not care that they killed innocent people to survive.  Indeed, they often played with their victims.  She had no choice in the most important matters -- even her meals were planned by the cook.  Here she had submitted to Angelus because ... because she did belong to him.  In every way that mattered, these two demons had already claimed her as their own.

Buffy was no fool.  She knew that it would likely be years before she would be able to live independently, if then.  Like Angelus said, vampiric traditions don't change ...  And I'm bound to those traditions, she realized.  In accepting Angelus as my 'sire' I now live under the same laws as vampires do.  I wonder how many there actually are?  Xanthos said there were many ...

The door opened, and William came in carrying a tray.  As he set it down on the table beside her, Buffy sighed as she recognized the teapot.  Somehow she had been hoping for the wine she'd had with dinner.  A cup later, she revised her opinion.

"What did you put in this?" she asked.

William laughed.  "Honey and whiskey ... how is it?"

Buffy laughed.  "It's good, really.  I just wasn't expecting ..."  The rest of her sentence was cut off by the entrance of an upset Angelus.

William jumped up.  "What is it?"

Angelus snarled, thrusting a paper into his childe's hands.  "Read it."

Buffy watched as he scanned the paper.  If he could have paled even more, she was sure he would have.  As it was, his eyes flashed and his face morphed.  "That bitch!" he growled.  "I want to resurrect her so I can kill 'er myself."

Angelus looked like he agreed, and then some.  He paced the room like a caged tiger, as did William.  It was, Buffy decided, unnerving.  Even though she knew she might regret it later, she had to know what was going on.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

Both stopped pacing, Angelus seeing her as if for the first time.  William's face was filled with emotion, his eyes reflecting pain.  She held out her hand, and something flickered across his face before he crossed the room to her, dropping his head into her lap.  Buffy stroked his hair silently, finally glancing up at Angelus.

"What happened?" she asked softly.

Angelus growled low in his throat, then eased himself behind her on the couch so that she lay against his chest.  "Prague," he answered, his fingers slipping into the bodice of her dress to stroke her breasts.  "That damn fire ... Nest didn't let them burn."

Buffy knew 'them' was Darla and Drusilla.  "Then what ... ?" she asked, confused.

"He did on purpose," William told her, his voice muffled by her skirt.  Even so, Buffy thought it sounded like he might be crying.

"Apparently," Angelus told her, "he was sick of Darla'a power plays and decided to get rid of her.  Why he simply didn't invoke that right as her sire, I don't know.  He arranged for her to be trapped in that building, then the fire to be set."

"Oh."

"But," Angelus continued, "Darla found out and decided to turn it to her advantage by getting rid of her 'competition.'

"Drusilla," Buffy whispered.  William growled.

"It would've worked too, if the vampire she'd paid to lock Drusilla inside not been the one Nest paid to make sure Darla died in the fire," William chortled, his voice tinged with hysteria.

"Her own plan backfired," Angelus smirked.  "That gives me great pleasure.  What bothers me is that she thought she'd get away with it.  Granted, she was my sire and had power over my childer, but I never expected she would stoop to that level."

"And the vampire in Prague?" she asked.

"Pocketed twice the money ... not that it's doing him any good," Angelus told her.

William snorted.  "The wily bastard's got over five thousand pounds, and you say ... "

"Who do you think sent the message?" Angelus asked.  "I gave him his *reward* for the information."

"Aye?" William asked.

A series of screams could be heard from below.  "A vampire will take a lot of abuse before it dies," Angelus replied.

William smiled, and climbed onto the couch, his head still resting on Buffy's lap.  Angelus leaned forward and lay his head on Buffy's shoulder, idly kissing her neck.  William looked up suddenly, locking eyes with Buffy and Angelus.  "You won't leave me, will you?" he asked.

Angelus rumbled deep in his chest.  "I would never leave you, my beautiful Will."

Buffy was well aware of the blue eyes fixed on her.  She trailed her fingers along his face, tracing the track made by his single bloody tear.  "I won't leave, I promise," she whispered.

And with that they lapsed into silence.

 

The End

 

<< back