"My Way - Chapter Seven"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

Buffy lay flat on the uncomfortable as she waited for the lab tech to come back into the room. The pains had subsided, but the doctor wanted to do an ultrasound just in case.

After fifteen minutes of waiting, Buffy pushed herself up into a sitting position. The baby kicked.

"Sorry Sweetie, but this is no picnic for me either."

The tech finally entered the room.

"I'm Marcie. How ya doin'?"

Buffy groaned. "Well Marcie, other than feeling like I'm about to pee all over myself, just peachy. Why did I have to drink so much water?"

Marcie laughed. "Your bladder has to be full."

"Well, it's about to explode."

"Then lie back down and and lets get started." Marcie winked at her.

After turning on the machine, Marcie informed Buffy what she was doing. "Okay, first I'm going to take measurements and make sure that everything's okay in there. After that, I'll put a video tape in and record it for you."

Buffy got teary-eyed. She wished Angel was with her to see this.

The cold gel was squirted on her belly and Marcie moved the scanner around it, then she entered the data.

"Everything appears to be just fine." She turned the monitor to where Buffy could see it and hit the record button on the machine. "Mommy, meet your baby."

Buffy twirled her ring around her finger and whispered. "That's our baby." Tears filled her eyes as she watched the image of the baby on the screen.

"Do you want to know the sex?"

Buffy thought about it for a minute. Not one to care much for surprises, she came to her decision. "Yes."

Marcie moved the scanner across her belly. "You see that white line?"

The slayer nodded.

"Well, I'm almost certain it's a girl." She informed her.

"Almost certain?" Buffy inquired.

"Nothing's one hundred percent from this angle." The baby suddenly turned giving them a better view. "Looks like your daughter likes having her picture taken. That's definitely a girl."

Buffy closed her eyes and tears fell.

Joyce and Giles were sitting in the waiting room. He was patting her hand.

"I'm sure Buffy will be just fine." He tried to assure her.

"Buffy said that she was getting prenatal care in LA, but..."

Dr. Burke came out of the double doors pushing Buffy in a wheelchair.

"Is everything alright?" Joyce's voice quivered.

The doctor nodded. "The discomfort was more than likely caused by stress. Now, I want her to go home, climb into bed and stay there for three days."

Joyce grabbed her daughter's hand. "Believe me Doctor, she won't be going anywhere."

Buffy had been stuck in her bedroom for far too long. The doctor had told her three days, but it had been a week. She forced herself into the shower.

Afterwards, she made her way down the stairs and into the kitchen. Joyce was sitting at the counter.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

Buffy sighed. "Cooped up ... I think I'm gonna go for a walk."

"Do you want me to go with you?" Joyce really didn't want her wandering around by herself.

"I'm perfectly able to be on my own, Mom. I'm not gonna run away again!" Buffy didn't mean to sound so harsh, but she was going nuts in that house.

"I know Sweetheart. I just don't want you to over do it."

Buffy kissed her mother on top of her head and grabbed her keys. "I won't be gone long."

She headed out the backdoor.

She stood in front of the door, knowing he wasn't in there. She didn't even remember walking there, but she knew it was the place that she needed to be.

Buffy took her keys from her pocket, found the appropriate one and unlocked the door. As she walked into the apartment, Angel's scent hit her. She closed her eyes and took it in. She reached for the light and turned it on. Surprisingly, it worked.

She noticed the dust that covered everything. "Your daddy would have a fit if he could see how dirty this place is." Once again, she cried.

Buffy noticed a picture of herself on the end table. "I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of him. But believe me, he was the most handsome ... most beautiful man."

She walked over to the bed and removed the dusty bedspread to reveal black satin sheets. A slight smile played on her lips. Angel adored making love to her on satin sheets. She sat down on the bed and then lay on the pillow. It smelled like him. Before long, she was fast asleep.

Buffy heard a baby crying. She instinctively placed her hands on her belly. It was flat. The baby continued to cry. A hand began shaking her arm.

"Buffy, it's your turn."

She opened her eyes to see Angel snuggled up next to her.

"What?" It felt so real.

He kissed her on the nose. "It's your turn to get up with Meghan. I did it at two."

"Meghan?"

"Are you okay, Sweetheart?" He sat up.

"Angel, is this real?"

He smiled and kissed her. "It will be."

Buffy woke and sat up. For the first time in four months she felt ... peace.

"Looks like Daddy gave you your name. What do you think Meghan?"

The baby kicked.

 

The End

 

<< back