"My Way - Chapter Twelve"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

Buffy sat on the couch with her feet on the coffee table. She was flipping through a copy of a bridal magazine and ran her hand over her extremely large belly. "I remember looking like that. Believe it or not Meggie, there was a time that Mommy would have fit in one of these." She was determined not to let her hormones take control. "Well, the wedding's not until February. If I get back to training right after you're born, I might just look ... chubby in my wedding dress." She began to cry.

Angel entered the living room. He shook his head. "Not again. What happened this time?"

She started flipping the pages quickly. "I'm never gonna be able to fit into one of these dresses." She threw the magazine down on the table.

"If you do you do, if you don't you don't. I love you for who you are."

She looked up at him. "You have to say that. It's your fault I look like this."

He sat on the floor in front of the couch and leaned forward to kiss her. "Yes it is ... and I'll do it again and again and again. And soon this town will be crawlin' wit Clearys." He added a touch of an Irish accent to the last three words.

"Cleary? That's your last name? I never thought about it."

He put her hands on her stomach. "It was ... a long time ago."

"Meghan Cleary ... That's pretty."

Angel got a far off look in his eyes. "It was my grandmother's name. She had the kindest heart of any woman I had ever known ... until you came into my life." He smiled. "When I was a boy, she'd tell me stories. Usually of what I'd be like when I became a man. Boy was she really off. Anyway, she told me that when I was ready, I'd meet the woman that my soul'd been searching for. He put his hand on her cheek and looked deep into her eyes. "Who knew it would take two and a half centuries."

A single tear fell from her eye. "I hope I was worth the wait."

"Buffy, you're the reason I'm here. If it weren't for our love, I'd still be in Hell. You're my salvation."

His lips descended on hers.

Joyce stood quietly at the entrance of the living room. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but seeing how much this man loved ... truly loved Buffy was heartwarming. Instead of interrupting the couple, she went to the kitchen.

The phone rang, and she answered it. "Hello?"

"Joyce, is Buffy at home?"

She put her hand on her head and let out a sigh. "Not if you're just going to make her cry again, Hank. She's eight and a half months pregnant for God's sake."

"I know that! Look, this, like Thanksgiving, is unavoidable. I'm not going to be back in time for the birth of the baby."

Joyce didn't notice that Buffy had walked into the kitchen.

She shook her head. "I don't know why I should be surprised. You weren't there for Buffy's birth, why would you be there for her baby's."

"Mom?" Buffy had tears in her eyes.

Joyce handed her the phone. "It's Daddy."

Buffy took the phone. "Daddy, please don't do this. Not again, please."

"Princess, I'm sorry. Like I told your mother, it's unavoidable."

She began to sob. "If you really wanted to be here you would ... I'm sorry I'm such a disappointed to you Daddy."

"Oh baby, you're not. Please don't cry. I'll try and wrap this up as soon as possible." He paused. "I have to get back to work. I'll talk to you soon. I love you Princess."

"Bye Daddy." Buffy hung up the phone, wiped the tears from her eyes and left the kitchen.

Buffy lay in bed rubbing baby oil over her belly. After her conversation with her father, she had locked herself in her room ... not even talking to Angel.

She was startled when she heard a knock at her window.

"May I come in?" Angel asked.

"Sure."

He climbed into her room and blew out all of the air in his lungs. "That used to be a lot easier."

"I really don't feel like talking Angel." She grabbed tissues off of her nightstand and wiped the oil off of her hands.

"I understand that Sweetheart, but you being this upset isn't good for Meghan." He sat on the bed next to her.

Buffy grabbed his hand. "I'm not all that upset anymore Angel. I just wanted to be by myself for a little while ... to think."

"About what?"

She put her head on his shoulder. "The wedding. Um ... do you think that if I asked Giles, he'd walk me down the aisle?"

"Sure he would, but what about your father?"

Tears filled her eyes again. "Angel, Hank Summers has missed every major event in my life. Why should our wedding be any different?" She grabbed a tissue and blotted her tears. "You know, when Daddy found me in LA, he told me that if I ever needed him, he'd be there for me. Stupid me believed him."

He pulled her into his lap. "You are NOT stupid!" He began to rock her. Soon, she was asleep in his arms.

The next morning, Angel told Buffy that he had some business to attend to in LA, but he'd be back by that evening and take her to a wonderful dinner.

Dressed in black Armani, he enter the offices of Hank Summers. The receptionist very eagerly greeted him.

"Hi. May I help you?" She winked at him.

He smiled, almost laughing. "Yes, I'm here to see Hank Summers."

"Sure, his office is right down at the end of the hall. If you give me your name, I'll tell his assistant that you're on your way."

"Cleary, Liam Cleary."

Angel headed down the hallway. As the receptionist had said, the huge double doors at the end of the hall had the name HANK SUMMERS in gold letters on them. He opened them and went in.

"Mr. Cleary, I'm Janine, Mr. Summers assistant. If you'll come with me, I'll take you into his office."

He nodded and followed the busty red head. When he entered the office, he was quite impressed. Buffy's father sat behind a huge mahogany desk on the phone. The office was filled with beautiful antiques and art work. All very extravagant. This made Angel even more angry than already was.

Hank hung up the phone and stuck out his hand to shake Angel's. "Mr. Cleary, I must say I was very intrigued with our conversation last night. You said that you were about to acquire something that was mine. What is it?"

"I think I should clarify something for you. I wasn't entirely truthful with you last night. I'm actually here to discuss your daughter."

"You know my daughter?" He leaned back and laced his fingers together.

"I'm Angel."

 

The End

 

<< back