"My Way - Chapter Thirteen"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

Buffy hit SEND on her test form and smiled. "This is so much more fun than sitting in a stuffy classroom." She waited for the 'MESSAGE RECEIVED' notice and then signed off.

She leaned back in her chair and looked at her large round belly. "Meghan, if it's not putting you in danger, anytime you're ready to be born is fine with me."

"Did you finish your test?" Buffy jumped as Joyce put her hand on her shoulder.

"You know, it's not nice to sneak up on a young pregnant girl." She smiled at her mom.

Joyce knelt down beside her and put her hand on her daughter's stomach. "Sorry about that. So, how are the two of you doing?"

"Once Angel's back, we'll be doing a whole lot better ... You know, it's funny. Before I got pregnant, I never knew about Angel's business trips. I just figured that he was in major brood mode and that's why he wasn't around for a few days. Who da thunk?"

There was a knock on the front door and Joyce stood up. "I'll get it."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Oh no, I'll just jump up and run to the door." She said sarcastically.

Joyce was laughing when she opened the door. She was surprised to see her ex-husband and her future son-in-law standing on the front porch.

Buffy walked into the entry hall. "Mom, who is it?"

Joyce stepped aside to reveal who it was.

"Daddy? What are you doing here ... with my fiancé?

Angel quickly moved to Buffy's side and kissed the top of her head. "I went and saw him in LA. There were a few things I needed to talk to him about."

She looked at her lover and then her father. "Like?"

Hank walked over to Buffy and put his hand to her cheek. "What an incredible young woman you are. He also convinced me that since my trip isn't until this weekend, I should take a few days off and spend them with you."

Buffy looked to Angel. The hormonal teenager, once again, had tears in her eyes. "Thank you."

"I just couldn't stand you being so sad ... Why don't we move out of the hall?"

"Good idea." Joyce said. "Can I get anyone anything to drink?"

"Juice please." Buffy answered.

"I'll have some juice also, Joyce."

Angel headed to the kitchen with Joyce. "I'll help you."

Buffy and her father sat on the couch.

"Princess, explain to me again why you thought he was dead and how you ended up in LA." Hank said.

She looked down at her belly and began running her hands over it. "I told you. He was in a plane crash in May. I freaked when they couldn't find him. When they told me that he was presumed dead, I couldn't handle it, Mom and I got in a ridiculously stupid fight,she told me that if I left the house not to come back so took off." She repeated the story that she and Angel had concocted for her father.

"So where was he the whole time?"

"He doesn't remember all that much. He 'woke up' at a farm house in a small town in Texas. When he remembered who he was, he got back to Sunnydale as quickly as he could." Buffy couldn't believe that her father believed the lies she was telling him.

Hank grabbed her hand. "Well, I must say he's a remarkable man."

"What exactly did he say to get you to come here?"

He looked down at his lap. "He told me that if I wasn't careful, I'm about to lose you. He also said that you were thinking about asking someone else to walk you down the aisle. Is that true?"

She nodded. "You're not the most reliable person. Daddy, I would love for you to be the one to give me away, but I need a commitment that you will definitely be there."

"Baby, you know that if nothing comes up, I'll be there."

Buffy pushed herself up off of the couch. "That's what I'm talking about! Nothing should come up! I'm your daughter! This is my wedding day! You should rearrange your schedule for me! My God, be my father ... for once!"

"What's going on in here?" Angel asked as he entered the room carrying two glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice. He put them down on the coffee table as Buffy rushed into his arms. Well, as fast as she was able to.

"I really appreciate you getting him to interrupt his busy life, but he's never going to change. I'll never come first in his life." She could no longer control her tears as they poured from her eyes. "Excuse me." She hurried from the room.

Angel was beyond pissed. "What the Hell is your problem?! Why is so hard for you to be a father to her?!"

Hank looked at him in shock. "You have no right to speak to me that way!"

"No right?" He took a step towards his future father-in-law. "What you're doing is effecting MY family! I won't have it!"

Angel was feeling strange. The demon that had been dormant for months was now at the surface wanting to be unleashed. He knew that if he didn't try to calm down, immediately, Hank would get exactly what he deserved. He turned, left the room and almost knocked Joyce down .

She scowled at her ex-husband. "What the Hell have you done this time?"

Buffy sat on the side of her bed. She was so sick of crying. Her entire pregnancy had been such an emotional roller coaster.

When Angel burst into the room, it startled her. She could tell he was seething with anger, but was desperately trying to take control.

"Angel? Honey?"

His eyes flashed yellow and then back to their beautiful chocolate brown. "I'll be okay in a minute ... just give me a minute." His breathing was becoming normal ... well, for him anyway. "I'm sorry I brought him here. I just thought that if he could see for himself how awful he made you feel ... in person, that he'd change."

"I do appreciate the effort, Angel. But I think it's time..." Buffy felt a sudden gush of wetness rushed from her body. "Angel, I think it's time."

"To move on with your life without him in it?" He was clueless.

Buffy shook her head. "No. I think it's TIME! My water just broke."

Angel's eyes went wide. "JOYCE!"

The End

 

<< back