"My Way - Chapter Twenty"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

Buffy was completely surprised to see her ex-boyfriend standing in her mother's living room.

"I cannot believe you're here. What are you doing in Sunnydale?"

Pike sat next to her. "Well, I was passing through and I knew you lived here, so I decided to stop by and say 'Happy Birthday'."

She smiled. "Thank you."

"So you didn't answer me. Who's the kid?"

"She's my daughter." She looked up at Angel. "Our daughter."

Pike looked shocked. "Whoa! I bet Joyce had a heart attack."

"Not at all." Angel interjected. "In fact, she's very supportive."

"And Hank?" Pike asked.

"He's trying. I don't know if he's coming to Angel and my wedding next month, but ... Oh my God, I'm so rude! Pike, this is my fiancé, Angel."

Pike stood and shook Angel's hand. "Nice to meet you." He sat back down.

Buffy suddenly realized that even though she was holding Meghan on her shoulder and was covered by a blanket, she was half undressed.

"Let me take Meggie up to her room and put her down."

"I'll do it." Angel told her, trying to appear as if this person sitting next to HIS Buffy didn't bother him.

"No, really. I ... uh ... need to straighten up anyway." She said pointing to the blanket that covered her bare breast.

She excused herself, leaving Pike and Angel alone. They didn't say anything at first. They just kept looking at each other.

Pike finally spoke. "So, what do you do for a living?"

"I own several businesses. What about you? I mean do you have a job or are you still chasing vampires and demons?"

"A little of both actually. ... So how long have you known she was the Slayer?"

"Since the day she was called." Angel said with a smile.

Pike was confused. "I don't remember you being around back then."

"Well, I stuck mainly to the shadows."

Pike nodded. "Kind of like a stalker."

Angel was about to say something, but he stopped when he felt Buffy's arms around his waist.

"But a good kind. Angel's saved my ass more times then I like to admit." Buffy leaned into her love.

"That's cool." Pike leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees and clasped his hands together. "So how long have the two of you been together?"

Angel sat in a chair and Buffy sat on his lap.

"Pretty much since shortly after I moved here." Buffy laughed. "I knocked him on his ass."

Pike looked at Angel. "You too?"

Buffy felt a rumbling beginning deep in Angel's chest. She thought to herself * time to change the subject *. She kissed Angel's forehead.

"So, Pike, what did you do after I left you in Vegas?"

Pike cringed when Buffy kissed Angel. "Hung out there for a while, rode down to Mexico, killed some vamps, went back to LA to see you but you were already gone, so I just basically became a beach bum working odd jobs and killing demons and vamps."

Joyce walked into the living room. "Buffy, I'm meeting Rupert for a drink and before you say anything..." She saw the young man sitting on her couch. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Mother!" Buffy knew that Joyce held a LOT of animosity towards Pike, and even though she now knew the real reason her daughter had taken off with him, she still didn't like him.

"Mrs. Summers, you're looking beautiful as always."

Joyce rolled her eyes. "Why do I suddenly feel like June Cleaver and Eddie Haskell has come to visit Wally and The Beave?"

Pike smiled. "At least it's nice to know that you remember me, Mrs. Summers."

It made Angel feel really good that Joyce was not particularly fond of Buffy's ex.

"If you haven't noticed, my daughter is VERY taken. So, there's really no reason for you to be here." Joyce said pointedly.

"Mom, would you pleases stop being so rude. Pike is a guest in our home."

"No." Joyce corrected. "He's an annoyance in MY home. Your home is on the other side of town. I'm going to meet Rupert. Goodnight."

Joyce grabbed her coat, purse and keys and left.

Angel was inwardly laughing. His feelings for Pike were immature because he was simply jealous, but Joyce held real contempt for the boy.

"If your mom only knew that you were the bad influence not me."

Buffy laughed. "Oh she knows I'm the Slayer. She just doesn't like you." She gave him a big smile.

"You haven't changed, Buff."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh yes I have. I'm eighteen, I have a baby..." She looked at Angel. "And I'm about to marry the man of my dreams. Add that to the fact that I'm getting straight A's for the first time in my life and I have friends whose main priority isn't the mall, except for Cordelia."

Angel looked at Buffy with pure love and adoration. She definitely was not that shallow, spoiled, self-centered fifteen year old that he had seen being called for her sacred duty. She was now a strong, confident, beautiful woman and most important, mother of their child and soon to be his wife. The key word being HIS.

"Well," Pike started. "You're still as beautiful, if not more so."

"We definitely agree on that." Angel winked at his love.

Buffy laughed. "Buffy praise. I could get used to this. What else ya got?"

Buffy and Pike stayed up talking pretty much all night. Angel had gone to bed extremely frustrated. He had big plans for the night before and Buffy's ex-boyfriend was not part of them.

He came down the stairs with Meghan in his arms and went into the kitchen. She had awakened a few minutes before and was hungry. Buffy was dead to the world so instead of waking her, he decided to heat up what Buffy had pumped in the freezer.

As he gave his daughter her bottle, he looked at her tiny features. She was his mini-Buffy.

"Do you have any idea how totally in love I am with you and your mommy? In one month from today we'll get married and move into our house and live happily ever after. And don't worry about ever being lonely because Mommy and Daddy want a big family and you'll have lots of brothers and sisters."

Meghan had her little hand in a fist and pressed against her cheek. Her big brown eyes were looking intently at her father as she sucked on her bottle.

"My beautiful, beautiful little girl." He kissed the top of her head.

Pike entered the kitchen scratching his head and looking quite disheveled. He had slept on the couch. "Mornin'."

Angel looked up at him. "There's coffee in the pot. Cups are in the cabinet above it."

"Thanks." He looked at his watch. "Man, I gotta get on the road."

As Pike poured his coffee, he watched how gently Angel interacted with the baby. He knew what he had to do.

After finishing his coffee, he said goodbye to Angel and left.

He sat on his motorcycle and pulled out a cell phone. "It's Pike. ... No, she's in no condition to be tested. ... Not a clue. She has no idea that I work for you guys. ... Yeah, I'd just stick with that Faith chick. She seems really into it."

Pike turned off his phone, started his Harley and rode off.

 

The End

 

<< back