"My Way - Chapter Twenty-Four"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

The alarm went off at six AM. Buffy's hand slammed on the snooze button, crushing the clock.

"We're keeping that on my side from now on." Angel said groggily.

They had gone to the Bronze after the rehearsal and had gotten in late.

"Sorry." Buffy sat up quickly. "Today's my wedding day!"

He looked up at her. "Really? Mine too."

She swatted his chest and then straddled him. She looked down at him seductively. "Wanna do it one last time before we make it legal?"

He put his hands on her hips. "Come here."

She leaned down and they devoured each other's mouths. When it heated up, Meghan's cry came over the monitor.

"I think our daughter wants to be an only child."

Buffy laughed and climbed off of him. "I'll go get her."

Angel smiled as he watched his love bound out of the room.

The doorbell rang. When Joyce answered it, she squealed.

"Pauline, I didn't think you were going to be able to come?" She hugged her sister.

"I couldn't miss my only nieces wedding, could I? Besides, Mom would never let me live it down."

"I heard that!" Hannah's voice came from the kitchen.

Buffy came down the stairs carrying Meghan. "Aunt Pauline! Oh my God, you made it!" She hugged her as best she could.

Pauline took the baby from her niece. "Oh Buffy, she's beautiful."

"Thank you." Meghan got fussy. "She's also hungry. If you'll excuse me, I'm just going to get her bottle."

Buffy headed for the kitchen. Pauline and Joyce went into the living room.

"So, Grandma, tell me about this son-in-law to be."

Joyce smiled. "Little sister, he's what every mother dreams of for their daughter. He's intelligent, handsome, loaded and he loves my little girl. I admit I wish they could have waited, but they're incredible parents. Meghan is such a happy baby."

"Joyce, where's ... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you." Angel apologized.

"Not at all. Angel, this is my sister, Pauline Winters."

Angel stepped towards the ladies and shook Pauline's hand. "It's nice to meet you Mrs. Win..." He chuckled. "Your last name is Winters and hers is Summers?"

"Yes. That's our little family joke. Especially when the Seasons get together." Pauline leaned her head on her sisters shoulder.

"Now that's what I like to see. My girls getting along." Hannah said as she entered the room.

"Hi Mom." Pauline stood and hugged and kissed her mother.

Buffy walked in holding Meghan on her shoulder. Angel looked at all of the women in the room. All of them completely and utterly beautiful. He kissed Buffy on top of her head.

"What was that for?" She asked.

"No reason."

Buffy sat in a chair in the best salon in Sunnydale having her hair sculpted around her veil. Joyce sat in the chair next to her.

"Are you going to have to go back to my house for anything?" She asked her daughter.

"No, Angel and Giles are taking everything, and my dress is already in the apartment at the house." She thought for a moment. "Shit! Meghan's dress in in my closet at your house."

Joyce laughed. "It's alright, Honey. We can just call Angel and tell him to take it to the apartment."

"Sounds like someone's getting a little nervous." The stylist commented.

"Not in the least." Buffy said. "I just don't want my daughter to only be in a diaper at her mommy and daddy's wedding."

"How old is she?"

Buffy smiled. "Two and a half months."

The stylist began spraying hairspray. "I wish my body would have bounced back like yours. My son is six months old and I'm still trying to lose weight."

"Well, I'd probably still be trying to lose weight, but I had a wedding dress to get in to."

"Sounds like incentive to me." She turned Buffy around. "What do you think?"

She looked at her hair. It was pulled up on top of her head. The ends were curled and the veil was flowing from the curls.

"What do you think, Mom?"

Joyce fought back the tears that were threatening to fall. "You look beautiful, Sweetheart."

The cosmetic artist came over to Buffy. "Let's see if we can get that to absolutely gorgeous."

Buffy sat back loving the attention.

Angel looked at Giles. "I'm forgetting something. I know I am."

"Did you double check Buffy's list?"

He nodded his head. "But it's like there's something missing."

The phone rang and Giles answered it.

"Hello? ... Meghan's dress? ... In Buffy's closet." He pointed to Angel. "Anything else she might have forgotten? ... We shall see you soon. Goodbye Luv." Giles hung up the phone.

Angel got Meghan's dress from the closet. He had a smile on his face. "You just called Joyce Luv."

The former watcher looked perplexed. "Did I? I wasn't aware that I had."

"So, are the two of you next?" Angel wiggled his eyebrows.

"My affair ... relationship with Joyce is that of respect, companionship..."

"And don't forget the sex." Angel interrupted with a smirk.

A grin played on Giles' lips. "Yes, well ... Shouldn't you be nervous about getting married or something like that?"

He shook his head. "No reason to be nervous, Giles. I'm marrying the mother of my child. The woman who completes me."

Buffy stepped into her wedding dress and her mother and aunt buttoned her.

"You look beautiful my precious girl." Hannah told her.

Buffy smiled. "Thanks Gramma.

Pauline put her hand over her mouth and walked into the bathroom. Hannah excused herself and followed her daughter.

"You're thinking about her aren't you?"

Pauline nodded her head. "It just hit me. I'll never get to do this for Celia."

Hannah took a tissue from the counter and blotted the tears that were falling from her daughter's eyes.

"I didn't think that this would be that hard, Mom. But seeing Buffy... it's just one more reason for me to envy everything Joyce has."

Back in the living room of the apartment, Buffy looked at her reflection. "I can't believe that's me."

"Believe it, Sweetgirl." Jacob said as he enter the apartment. He handed Meghan to Joyce. "Someone's ready to get dressed."

"Thanks Dad."

"Where's your mother and sister?" He asked Joyce.

She moved closer to her father and spoke softly. "Mom's consoling Paulie. I think she's really missing Celia right now."

Jacob nodded his head in complete understanding.

"Granddad, how's Angel?"

"Very ready to marry you." He told his granddaughter.

Buffy smiled. "Good, because I'm just as ready."

"You're not going to get married with out me here, are you?"

Jacob cocked his eyebrow. "Well, I'll be damned."

Buffy looked to see who was walking through the door. "I thought you weren't coming." Her voice was even and her face showed no emotion.

"You come first." Hank told his daughter.

"It's about time." She said.

"Are you sure that wouldn't rather your father do this?"

Buffy clutched Giles' arm. "You're the one that deserves to do this. Biologically, he's my father, but in my heart, it's you. I love you, Giles."

"As I you." He blushed. "Before you entered my life, I didn't realize how empty it was."

"Thank you."

Soft music filled the house. Joyce carried Meghan down the aisle and was escorted by Hank. Father David stood in front of the fireplace and Angel stood beside him.

Cordelia walked down the the aisle followed by Willow. Both Xander and Oz looked at their girlfriends in awe.

Then Buffy appeared in the doorway on Giles' arm. Everyone in the room gasped. She was radiant.

Their eyes locked. Suddenly they were the only two people in the room. Buffy melted when she saw Angel in his tux.

The spell was soon broken when Giles lifted her veil, kissed her cheek and took his place next to Angel.

Father David began. "In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit..."

As the priest said a prayer over the couple, Angel squeezed Buffy's hand causing her to look into his eyes.

"Do you Liam take Buffy to be your lawful wedded wife?" Father David asked.

Angel smiled. "I do."

"And do you Buffy take Liam to be you lawful wedded husband?"

Buffy nodded her head. "I do."

Father David looked to the audience. "Liam and Buffy have chosen to recite their own vows." He nodded to Angel.

"Buffy, the first time I saw you I thought to myself 'how can one person possibly be so self-absorbed' ... but then I saw you evolve into the most beautiful, caring, selfless human being I've ever known. Since Meghan was born, I have seen what a wonderful mother you are and how much love you have to give. I promise to love you forever." He caressed her face. "I vow to you today in front of all of our friends and family that I will be here with you and for you through whatever is thrown at us. Together, we are strong."

"Angel, the first time we met, I thought 'why is this person annoying me." Everyone laughed. "And then you gave me this." She touched the silver cross around her neck. "Well, anyone who gives you jewelry when you first meet can't be all bad. So little by little, you kept appearing in my life, guiding me ... teaching me. We've been through so much in the last two years, but we've survived. ... I vow to you today in front of all of our family and friends that I will be here with you and for you through whatever is thrown at us. Together, we are strong."

Buffy felt like she had rambled a bit, but she thought she had said everything that she wanted to say to him. Or at least she hoped she did. She couldn't quite remember what she'd just said.

Father David asked for the rings. Willow and Giles handed them to him and he blessed them. He handed Angel the smaller of the two rings.

"Liam, place this ring on Buffy's finger and repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed."

Angel slid the small gold band on Buffy's finger. "With this ring, I thee wed."

The priest handed Buffy Angel's ring. "Buffy, place this ring on Liam's finger and repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed."

Buffy's heart was pounding. She smiled as she put the ring on his finger. "With this ring, I thee wed."

They both turned to look at Father David. He said a prayer over them and then he finished the ceremony.

"So, by the power vested in me by the state of California, I now pronounce you husband and wife. What God has joined together, let no man put asunder. You may kiss your bride."

The couple faced each other and shared the sweetest, most tender kiss of their lives.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce to you for the first time Mr. and Mrs. Liam Patrick Cleary."

Everyone in the room began clapping which woke the sleeping baby who immediately began crying.

The newly married couple walked over to Joyce and Buffy took their daughter from her mother.

"Hey Sweetie, it's okay. It's a happy day." She nuzzled her baby.

The photographer snapped a picture of the beautiful little family.

The End

<< back