"My Way - Chapter Twenty-Nine"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

Buffy was awakened from her peaceful sleep by Meghan's piercing cries. She bolted out of bed and hurried to her daughter's room.

She turned on the light and went to the little girls crib.

"What's wrong my baby?" She picked her red-faced crying child up. "Oh dear Lord! You're burning up!"

Buffy held Meghan close to her body and went into her room.

She turned on the light. "Angel! ... Angel!"

"What?" He mumbled.

"Get up! Megg's sick!"

Angel sat up. "She's what?"

Buffy had tears in her eyes. "She's burning up. Feel her head."

Angel lay his hands on their child. "What do we do?"

"I'll call my mom."

The phone rang, waking Joyce.

"Hello?"

"Mom, Meghan's got a fever. What do I do?"

She sat up. "What's her temperature?"

"I don't know. I haven't taken it yet."

Joyce could tell her daughter was panicking. "Sweetheart, the ear thermometer in the top drawer of the changing table. Read the instructions and take her temperature. I'll be there in ten minutes."

"Thanks Mommy."

"Calm down, Buffy. She's gonna be okay."

An hour later, Buffy was on the phone with Meghan's doctor.

"Her fever's gone up to a hundred and three SINCE we gave her the Tylenol. ... We'll meet you there in twenty minutes."

Buffy hung up the phone. "She said to take her to the emergency room and she'll meet us there."

Her hands were trembling. Angel put his arms around her. "All babies get sick."

"I know." She looked to her mother who was holding Meghan. "Mom, would you get Megg dressed. I'm gonna go get changed."

"Sure, Honey."

Angel led Buffy out of their daughter's room and into their own."

They both dressed in silence, but when Buffy reached for her purse, she broke down.

"Something's really wrong with her. I can feel it."

He pulled her to him and held her tight, knowing that's what she needed.

"Are you ready?" Joyce asked from the doorway.

The couple nodded and headed out.

Buffy clutched Meghan to her chest as she walked up to the registration window.

A very matronly looking receptionist greeted her. "May I help you?"

"My name's Buffy Cleary. Dr. Evans told me to meet her here with my daughter, Meghan Cleary."

The woman looked down at her list. "Ah, yes. I'll let her know you're here." She handed Buffy a clipboard. "If you could fill this out for me while you wait."

Buffy nodded. She sat in the waiting room and Angel sat beside her.

"Fill this out." She handed the clipboard to Angel and began rocking her baby. "God, what's taking so long?"

A nurse came through the door. "Mrs. Cleary?"

Buffy stood up. "Yes?"

"Dr. Evans can see Meghan now."

"Thank you." They followed her into the back.

They had been there for a little over an hour and the doctor was still trying to get her temp down.

Buffy stood beside the bed Meghan was lying in, stroking her dark brown hair. "Babygirl, what's wrong with you?"

"That's what we're going to find out Mrs. Cleary."

Buffy looked up to see the doctor enter the room.

"I want to admit Meghan and run some tests."

"Tests?" Angel asked.

Dr. Evans nodded. "We have to find out if this is viral or bacterial. I also want to start her on I.V. antibiotics and get some fluids in her so she doesn't dehydrate."

Buffy looked down at her lethargic baby and began sobbing. Angel put his arm around her.

"Why don't you go tell your mom what's going on. I'll stay with Megg."

She shook her head. "I'm not leaving her side, Angel. I'm can't leave my baby."

He kissed the top of her head. "I'll go tell her."

"Thank you, Sweetheart."

Angel looked down at his sleeping daughter and left the room. He was just as distraught as Buffy was, but he had to be strong for his love.

He walked into the waiting room and found not only his mother-in-law, but Giles and Willow as well."

"How's Meghan?" Willow rushed to Angel.

He shook his head. "We don't ... we don't know yet. Um, Dr. Evans is going to admit her and run ... run ... run some tests." He suddenly felt dizzy. "I need to sit down."

Angel's hands began to shake and then he began to cry.

"Oh, Angel." Joyce sat next to him and put her arm around him.

"I feel helpless, Joyce. My little girl is sick and there is nothing I can do. And Buffy, she's falling apart."

Little did they realize that they were being eavesdropped upon.

Across town, a telephone rang in a luxury apartment.

Faith picked it up. "Whoever this is, you better have a good fucking reason for waking me up!"

"Now, that's no way to answer the phone, Faith. No matter how early it is."

"Oh, hey boss. What's up?"

"An opportunity has come to my attention. An opportunity to keep the Slayer and her husband ... distracted."

"Whacha got in mind?"

"Up for a little kidnapping?"

Buffy sat next to the metal crib her daughter was sleeping in. In her tiny hand was a needle connected to an I.V.. A splint was wrapped around her hand and arm to keep the baby from pulling it out.

A nurse tapped Buffy on the shoulder startling her.

"Mrs. Cleary, why don't you go stretch your legs. I'll keep an eye on her."

Buffy shook her head. "No, I can't."

"It will be okay, Buffy." Willow said from the door. "If it makes you feel better, I'll stay with Meggie."

Buffy sighed. "Thanks Will. I guess I do need a break." She rubbed the baby's back. "Mommy will be right back, Sweetie. I love you."

"Angel's down in the cafeteria." Willow told her.

Buffy nodded her head and headed to see her husband.

Angel sat in the back of the cafeteria up against the wall. He was in complete brood mode.

"Mind if I sit down?"

Angel nodded. "How's she doing?"

"Her fever's down."

"That was fast. I've only been gone for twenty minutes." He said in a quite voice.

"Yeah, well, Dr. Evans said that it was because of the antibiotics and the fluids." Buffy looked at Angel. He looked so completely lost. She grabbed his hand. "I know this is harder on you than you're letting on, Angel."

"You need me to be strong for you."

"I don't want you to shut down. You can lean on me too."

A loud buzz came over the P.A. "Medical assistance and security to Pediatrics. Room 314. Stat!"

Buffy began to panic. "That's Megg's room!"

They got up and ran to their daughter's hospital room. Willow and the nurse were unconscious on the floor. Meghan was gone.

"Oh my God!" Buffy put her hands over her mouth.

Willow was coming around.

"Willow? What happened? Where's Meghan?" Angel pleaded.

She said one word. "Faith."

 

The End

<< back