"My Way - Chapter Thirty-Nine"

Author: Sydnie
Email: sydniep@hotmail.com

//Happy Birthday Dear Meghan. Happy Birthday To You.//

Buffy and Angel leaned over their daughter's shoulders and blew out the candle together.

Everyone clapped, even Meghan, although she had NO idea of why all of these people were in her house.

And it was a house full. Joyce and Giles, Hank, Arthur, Hannah and Jacob, Willow, Xander, Cordelia, Pauline, Rosie, Ryan and even Riley.

Buffy served the cake and when everyone had some, Angel wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his hands on her stomach.

He whispered in her ear. "I think now's a good time."

She looked back and kissed him. "You want to or should I?"

He kissed her forehead. "I think you should. I'll just use as a shield when they start coming after me."

"Chicken."

"Bock-bock." He said, making her giggle.

Hank was videotaping his granddaughter basically covering herself with chocolate frosting when his daughter cleared her throat. He turned the camera on her.

"Uh ... everybody. Angel and I would really like to thank you for coming here today and celebrating our first child's birthday. I just want you all to know that you will all be invited back here in June to celebrate the arrival of our second."

Buffy and Angel look into the sea of confused faces.

Hannah began to smile. She knew what her precious girl was telling them. "Oh, sweetheart." She hugged her.

Xander held up his hand like he was a second grader. "Huh?"

Buffy smiled at her husband. "Your turn."

Angel rolled his eyes. "Jeez, thanks." He tool a deep breath. "We're pregnant. The baby's due in June."

They were met with complete silence. Then Hank threw the camera down on the couch and looked at his son-in-law with anger.

"I thought we had an agreement. The two of you were going to wait until after Buffy graduated!"

"Hank..."

Buffy stopped Angel from speaking and continued for him. "That was our original plan, Daddy, but for some reason, my birth control didn't work and I'm having another baby. I realize you're all shocked..." She looked around the room. "...and a little pissed ooff at us, but our little family is growing and Angel and I are VERY happy."

"What about school? You know how hard it was with Megg, are you going to dropout?" Joyce asked.

"NO!" Angel answered emphatically. "I'll just work from home."

Buffy walked over to her mother and took her hands. "Mom, please be happy for us."

Joyce hugged her. "You know I'll support you in whatever you decide, Buffy. If expanding your family is what you want, then congratulations."

Hank wasn't as accepting. "She's not even 19 yet, Joyce!"

Buffy turned to him. "Daddy, I know you're disappointed in me ... again, but I'm really happy and having another baby with the man I love is what I want."

He pushed her hair behind her ear. "You're missing out on your youth, Buffy."

"I hangout with my friends, I go to parties, I go to school. I'm doing exactly what an 18 year old is supposed to do. The only difference is that I'm a wife and mother. Daddy, I wouldn't change my life for anything."

"And ya shouldn't have t'." Rosie told her. "Yer an intelligent girl. Hank, ya luv yer daughter and ya want the best fer her. Ya just need t' open yer eyes and relize that Liam and their children are what's best."

Hank blew out a deep breath. "I need to go for a walk." He laft the room.

Huge tears brimmed Buffy's eyes. Arthur kissed his granddaughter's head. "I'll go talk to him, honey."

She nodded and watched him leave the room. The Scoobies had yet to say anything.

She looked at them. "Guys?"

Willow just smiled and Xander looked anywhere but the Slayer.

Cordelia was the only one who spoke. "Well, I personally have NO idea why ANY woman would go through all that pain once, but the fact that you're willing to gain all that weight ... again and fight stretch marks from making your body possibly look like a roadmap ... congratulations." She smiled.

"Thanks Cordelia ... I think. Will, you're being quiet. I really want to know what you're thinking."

Angel was sensing his wife's uneasiness. He wrapped his arms around her waist again.

Meghan got down from the chair she was sitting. Her hands and face were covered in cake. She walked over to her parents and put her dirty hands on her mommy's tummy. "Bay-bee."

Buff smiled down at her daughter. "Yes Meghan, our baby's in there."

"Meggie bay-bee." The tiny girl started getting excited and jumping, spreading chocolate all over the bottom of Buffy's shirt.

The whole room melted.

"How could any of us ever have doubts about this. You have so much love to give." Willow smiled.

"Thanks, Will."

Xander still stood silent, not wanting to voice his opinion.

Riley stood in the corner of ther room looking at the happy family. It was at that very moment that he realized he had NO chance with Buffy Summers Cleary.

After everyone had gone, except for the family, Hank and Arthur returned.

Meghan ran up to her grandfather. "Gnda! Meggie bay-bee!"

"Yes, Meghan, you're Granddad's baby."

"No! No! No!" The sweet girl shook her head and ran to where Buffy was lying on the couch taking a nap. She placed her little hands on her mommy's tummy.

"Meggie bay-bee!"

Hank started to cry. Arthur put his arm around his son's shoulder. "Buffy's never gonna forgive me for the way I reacted, Dad."

"No, I'm not." A groggy Buffy said without opening her eyes.

Arthur excused himself and scooped up Megg before exiting.

Hank walked over to her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

She laughed and slowly opened her eyes. "It wasn't you, Daddy. Megg keeps running in here every 5 minutes, pushing on my bladder and babbling about her baby." She sat up and Hank sat next to her.

"I want to be happy for you so badly, Buffy. I really do. I just don't want you having any regrets when you're my age."

She grabbed his hand. "Do you love me, Daddy?"

Hank gave her a strange look. "Of course I do."

"Do you regret me being born?"

He shook his head. "I could never regret something that's a part of me."

Buffy put her hand on her stomach. "That's the way I feel about this baby. Angel and I created it out of our love for each other. Just like Meghan. I admit that neither were planned, but that's what makes them such miracles. When we first started dating, we were told that he couldn't have children." She smiled, hugging her stomach. "Now he's given me two."

Hamk saw how elated his daughter was and he smiled. "So, when do I get to start spoiling this one?"

She put her head on his shoulder. "June."

Meghan ran back into the room, put her hands on Buffy's flat tummy and laughed. "Meggie bay-bee!"

Buffy and her father couldn't help but laugh.

 

The End

 

<< back