"My Way - Chapter Forty-Six"

Author: Sydnie
Email:
sydniep@hotmail.com
Notes:  I am so sorry it's been so long.  Since the last part I've given birth to a beautiful little girl named Sara Elizabeth.  Ff course she's almost nine months old now so I guess the real reason I haven't updated is laziness.

Buffy awoke to a beautiful sight.  Angel was sitting in a rocking chair with Meghan asleep in one arm and Liam sleeping in the other.  He was singing them the lullaby his mother sang to him as a child.  Only when he finished, did she speak.

"Never a camera around when you need one."  She smiled.

"You're mom got a few while you were sleeping.  How do you feel?"

She sat up a little.  "Empty.  I'd forgotten about that feeling.  I'd ask you to bring him over here, but you seem to have your arms full."

Angel chuckled.  "She's been in my lap the whole time I've had him.  At first I thought it was a jealousy thing.  Then when your mom was holding him, she crawled onto her lap.  She's very protective of this little guy."  He shook his daughter a little.  "Megg ... Meggie, Mommy's awake."

Meghan's big eyes popped open.  "Mama!"  She yelled and then looked over to Liam and put her finger over her lips.  "Shh.  Nigh-nigh."  She whispered.

"I can see that.  What do you think about your brother?"

The little girl bit her bottom lip.  "Tute."

"And waking up."  Angel interrupted.  "Get up baby girl so Da can bring Liam to Mommy.  He's hungry."

"Me hungy."  Meagan rubbed her tummy.

Buffy took her son from her husband.  "How about I feed Liam and Daddy takes you to the cafeteria and feeds you?"

"Me fe baybee."  She pointed to herself.

Tears stung her eyes at the sweetness of her baby girl.  "Sweetie, only Mommy can feed the baby right now. When he's bigger you can help, okay?"

Meghan's lip pouted.  "Tay."

"We'll be back."  Angel kissed Buffy on the top of her head.

"Before you go, check on Jenn for me."

He nodded, picked up their daughter and left.

The Next Day

Jenn was in a glass ICU room that was directly in front of the nurses station.  She was connected to tubes and machines and was very pale.  Unfortunately, she was in a coma.

Buffy walked out of the elevator pushing a plastic bassinet and slowly walked to the nurse at the desk.  "Do you think she's up for a couple of visitors?"

"You shouldn't be bringing a baby up here?"  The nurse scolded her.

"It's alright, nurse."  Dr. Martin interjected.  "I told the Pediatric nurse that she could bring the Jenny's baby up to see her mother."

The nurse nodded.

"I wasn't expecting you Buffy."

She shrugged.  "My doctor told me to walk.  When I asked the nurse where she was taking Elizabeth, I asked her if I could bring her."  She looked into the glass room.  "Has she awakened yet?"

He shook his head.  "No."

"Can I take Elizabeth in there?"

He handed her a mask.  "Put this on and I'll carry the baby."

Buffy did as she was told and walked into her friend's room.  She pulled a chair next to the bed and took the baby from Phillip.  "Hey Jenn.  I brought someone to see you.  She's gorgeous.  I think Liam's already got a crush on her.  Oh that's right, you don't know.  During your surgery, I went into labor.  Liam Connor Cleary was born at 4:27 yesterday afternoon weighing eight pounds, six ounces and twenty-one inches long.  He's gonna be a big boy like his daddy. ... Speaking of his daddy, I wish you could have seen Angel's face when they circumcised Liam.  I don't know who was in more pain.  Anyway, they are keeping Liam and Elizabeth next to each other.  She looks so tiny next to him.  She's doing really well.  The doctor told me that she's healthy and thriving and taking really well to the formula.  My mom and Dawn are gonna move in with us so she can take care of Elizabeth until you're able to take care of her yourself.  I know I promised you that I'd do
it, but with Liam coming a little early, I have..."

Elizabeth started to squirm and then cry.

Buffy grabbed the bottle the baby nurse gave her, opened it and began to feed the baby.  "That's a good girl."  She looked up at her friend, wishing she could see this.

Jenn's eyes opened.  A tear slipped from her eye.

One week later...

Meghan sat on the floor in her bedroom playing with all of her dolls and stuffed animals.  Buffy entered the room carrying her son.

"Hey, sweetie, whacha doin'?"

"Payin'."

"Whacha playin'?"

Megg shrugged.

"I'm gonna feed the baby.  Wanna help."

"Me doodit!"

"Let's go in his room.  Okay?"

Meghan followed her mother into her brother's room and climbed into the rocking chair.  Buffy placed a pillow on the little girl's lap and then gently lay Liam on the pillow.  She sat on the floor in front of them and raised the pillow so Liam wasn't flat and placed the bottle in his mouth.  Meghan held the end of the bottle and started humming the Irish lullaby her daddy sang to her.

"Dood baybee."

Buffy smiled.  "Both my babies are good babies.  You're a really good big sister, Meggie."

She smiled.

There was a knock on the door.

"Hey Dawn."

"Hey.  Where's mom?"

"Don't push the bottle in his mouth sweetie.  He knows what to do."  She turned back to her sister.  "She took Elizabeth to visit Jenn."

"Oh."  She bit her bottom lip.  "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"It's about sex."

Buffy swallowed hard.  "Sex is bad.  Has side effects."  She pointed to her children.  "Exhibit A and B."

Dawn laughed.  "I was kidding.  Believe me, you're my birth control.  That and the fact that I haven't met any decent guys since I've been here.  What I wanted to know is do you think Mom would freak if I asked if I could go stay with Dad for the summer?"

"Why?"

"It's just all of you are so busy with the babies.  That and I never get to see him."

"Honey, that's just the way it is with Daddy.  He's a workaholic."

Dawn sat in on overstuffed chair.  "Well, when he comes this weekend to see the squirt, I'm going to ask anyway."  She sighed.  "Ever wonder if Grandmother hadn't taken me ... Do you think Mom and Dad would..."

Buffy shook her head.  "I'm the reason they got married.  They had you thinking it would bring them closer together.  They just weren't meant to be.  Besides, Mom and Giles are completely in love and I've never, ever seen her happier."

"I'll just have to take your word on that."  She watched her niece lovingly feed Liam.  "I think he's full."

Buffy looked down at her children to see that Liam was sleeping.

"Shh."  Meghan said as she put her little finger to her lips.  "Burp."

Laughing, Buffy gently pick her son up.  "Yes ma'am.  You know, Miss Priss, I have done this before."

Meghan giggled as her mommy goosed her belly.

"You're a really good mom, Buffy."

She smiled.  "Thank you Dawnie.  I try to be."

Dawn stood.  "Okay, well, I'm gonna wait for mom to get home downstairs."

Jenn gently brushed the soft blond hair on her daughter's downy head.  She was still hooked up to tubes and machines, but at least she was able to touch Elizabeth.

"Your daughter is very even temptered Jennifer.  She hardly ever cries."  Joyce told her.

Jenn tried to clear her throat which was still sore from the tube that had been removed a few days before.  "Mom told me that I was like that too.  She used to say that I would just lie in my crib quietly until she'd come pick me up."

"Well, Elizabeth's a lot different from Baby Liam.  I love my grandson, but he likes to make his presence known."

"I'm glad she's not much trouble."  She sighed.  "I wish I could hold her."

"You will soon.  In the meantime, I hate to do this, but we need to go.  I have to get home to Dawn."

Jenn's eyes filled with tears.

"Oh sweetie, don't cry.  We'll come back in the morning.  I promise."

"I just want to go home with you.  Be a real mommy."

"That could be happening very soon."  Dr. Martin announced from the doorway.

"Really?"  Jenn's whole demeaner changed.

He nodded.  "In a few days.  Once we get you unhooked from all of the machinery and get you mobile.  Does that sound like a good idea?"

Jenn nodded.  "You hear that Lizzie.  Mommy will be home soon."

 

The End

 

<< back