"Daddy Makes Three"

Author: A. Price
Email:
andramichelle@yahoo.com
Notes: Response to Isabelle at Crumbling Walls B/S forum.


Dawn lay on her bed closing her eyes again and putting the pillow over her head. Maybe she could drown out the horrible noises coming from the kitchen and get some sleep. After hearing the third pot hit the floor she gave up and padded quietly down the stairs.

She cautiosly walked towards the kitchen not knowing what to expect. Lately Buffy's moods were mercuric, swinging form high to low in at a moments notice. She heard faint sobs as she neared the kitchen and rushed in to find her sister sitting on the floor pots and pans surrounding her, crying softly. Dawn sat down in the floor beside her and put her arms as far around Buffy's swollen body as they would go and pulled her close to her running her hands through Buffy's hair in the same comforting way that Buffy did when she herself, was upset. "What's wrong, Buffy?" She murmured softly.

"I just wanted some fudge! You know like mom used to make and I'm so big that I couldn't even get down there to dig the right pan out of the cabinet and they all started falling out and I... " She finsihed the sentence with another sob.

"It's okay. We'll make the fudge together." Dawn helped Buffy to her feet and helped her up on stool next to the kitchen island.

Buffy sniffed, "I'm sorry Dawn. I guess you are really tired of me being pregnant, huh?"

Dawn smiled as she gathered the ingredients Buffy had set out on the counter and decided on the right pot for the job. "I think that we'll all be happier when she gets here, Buffy. But it's okay, come on help me with this fudge."

"Okay. We have to melt the chocolate chips with the marshmallow creme and the butter and pet milk." Buffy opened the bag of chips as Dawn melted the margarine and opened the marshmallow creme.

"Now's the hard part we have to stir it and cook it just the right amount of time." Dawn laughed remembering helping her mom make this candy on holidays.

"I'll get the glass of cold water, you keep stirring." Buffy actually smiled as she ran the cold water into a small cup. "When we think it's ready we'll drop some in here and test it."

Dawn took the spoon and drizzled a small amount of the rich brown syrup into the cup of water. She then reached in and took out the small soft ball of fudge. She smiled brightly, "I think we have fudge!"

Buffy giggled as she helped Dawn pour the fudge into a butter pan. "Now we have to wait for it to cool."

A half hour later, Buffy cut the still slightly warm fudge, "I couldn't wait." She smiled at Dawn as she offered her a piece of the candy.

"Thanks. So how are you really feeling, Buffy?" Dawn asked serioulsy as she curled her feet up under her on the couch.

"Besides huge and hormonal?" Buffy smiled at her sister, "I'll be okay, Dawn. This was a surprise but ... a good thing I think." She lay her hand on her fluttering belly. "She likes the fudge."

"She's lucky your her mom." Dawn placed her hand on Buffy's belly too, "Have you thought about letting him know anymore?"

"Dawn, he left." Buffy frowned at her sister.

"He didn't know, Buffy! You didn't know until he was gone. I don't think it's fair to Spike." Dawn shook her head at the sister.

"Dawn, please don't make me regret telling you the truth about who the father was." Buffy sighed as she tried to get comfortable.

"I haven't told anyone Buffy. You know that. But you need to."

"Oh yes cause that wouldn't shock or upset them at all!" Buffy stood and began to pace the living room.

"Well I think the pregnancy already did that, Buffy! Finding out that Spike's the dad won't be too much worse. And Spike would be here to help out if he knew." Dawn stood and placed her hand on Buffy's shoulder, "I know he would."

"Right, I can hear him now. Mine? How can it be mine? Remember I can't have babies!" Buffy finished the sentence in a bad british accent.

"Buffy, I"m serious. He should know." Dawn's aggravation shown clearly on her face.

"NO! I don't want him to know. He didn't stick around so why should he even know about this." Buffy stomped, well tried to stomp around the living room but she wasn't quite as limber as she used to be at eight months pregnant.

"Buffy you yourself told me you pushed him away, he left cause he thought thats what you wanted." Dawn tried to reason with Buffy.

Buffy's sense of reason had left about a month ago though so she stubbornly shook her head, "Since when did he ever do what I wanted him to? He chose this time to listen to me? No! I don't want him to know...period."

"Okay, then let me ask do you think the baby deserves to know her daddy?" Dawn asked gently.

"Why so he can teach her how to steal cigarettes and burma weed and how to annoy everyone she comes in contact with, and be a smart alec who thinks she knows everything." Buffy rattled.

"No, so maybe he can teach her a bit out loyalty and love." Dawn replied quietly then added ,"and she would have someone else to protect her with his life."

Dawn watched as the tears began to roll down Buffy's cheeks and knew she had pushed too far. "It's gonna be okay, Buffy. Let's get you to bed." Dawn put her arm around Buffy's shoulders and helped her up the stairs to her room.

She checked on Buffy to make sure she was sleeping before she snuck out of the house and made her way to Willy's bar. Sure, if Buffy ever found out she had been there she would probably be grounded until she was thirty but she had a mission. "Willy." She called as she entered the thankfully deserted bar, "You here?"

"Yeah, hold on." Willy emerged from behind the bar, "Slayer's lil sis, What do you want?"

"I need to get a message to Spike. And I'm sure you can do it." Dawn spoke forcefully.

"Uh... Spike. Well I think I could do that. What's the message." Willy took an ink pen and pad from under the bar.

"Tell him Niblet needs him in Sunnydale ASAP!" Dawn watched as Willy wrote down the message.

"Sure thing, I'll get this to him." Willy ushered Dawn towards the door, "Now you best get out of here."

"Thank you, Willy." Dawn replied as she left the bar.

Willy gave a lopsided grin, "Your welcome." Then when she was safely gone he reached for the phone.


Two days later

The Desoto pulled up in front of 1630 Revelo Drive. The occupant of the car sat for several minutes staring at the front porch of the house. Spike finally gathered his nerve and stepped out into the dusky darkness. He really didn't want to face Buffy right now, but then he wasn't here for Buffy, he was here for Niblet. He knew she wouldn't have risked going to Willy's if she didn't need him. He knocked softly on the front door, maybe Buffy was out on patrol by now.

"Someone's at the door!" Buffy called from the kitchen as she struggled with a full trash bag.

"I'll get it." Dawn called back as she rushed to the front door. She opened it to find Spike standing there nervously. She pulled him into a hug, "I knew you would come, I told her."

"Nice to see you too, Niblet." Spike said as he disentangled himself from her hug, "What's wrong though? Why did you need me?" He asked as he followed her into the house.

Dawn closed the door behind him and led him to the living room, "It's not me so much as Buffy that needs you."

Spike shook his head and raised his hands, "Niblet, Buffy doesn't want or need my help I'm sure of it."

"Yes she does Spike, cause you helped get her into this latest mess." Dawn poked her index finger into his chest, "So sit down and listen to me."

"Me! I haven't done anything except what she wanted me to do - leave." Spike sulked as he sat down on the couch.

"What I'm gonna tell you is going to sound unbelievable but it's true, Spike." Dawn paused for a moment, "Spike, Buffy is pre... " She was cut off by the sound of Buffy coming into the living room.

Buffy stood staring at Spike for a moment before she looked down at her pregnant belly and then back up again at Dawn, "How could you Dawn?" Her voice broke as she tried to back into a chair she almost fell ,but Spike was up in a second and caught her before she could hit the floor.

Shocked as he was at her condition, Spike helped her into the chair, "Buffy, you're ,,,,,you're..."

"Pregnant." Dawn finished for him, "I was trying to tell you that."

"But how? I mean when?" Spike looked flummoxed as he groped for the right words.

Buffy remained silent as she sat in the chair staring daggers at Dawn.

"How? The old fashioned way I guess," Dawn walked over to stand beside Buffy, "When? About eight months ago? And the question you haven't asked would be who? Right?"

Spike couldn't speak so he nodded his head in affirmation.

"Well, that would be you, Daddy. And before you say it's not possible, well we don't know how it happened either, but Buffy says it's you and she wouldn't lie about this." Dawn put her hand on Buffy's shoulder and whispered soflty, "It's gonna be okay, Buffy."

"It's my baby?" Spike asked as he took a step closer to Buffy and Dawn.

Buffy nodded as fresh tears glistened in her eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked his eyes transfixed on the bulge in Buffy's middle.

"I didn't know until you left! And you left, so I thought that you wouldn't want to be bothered with this." Buffy sniffed.

"Not bothered! I'm the one who wanted to make it work with us! I love you! And you didn't think I would want to be bothered?" Spike could not hide his anger.

Buffy shuddered at the rise in Spike's voice and she placed her arms over her belly protectively.

Dawn stepped towards Spike, "You are going to calm down. She doesn't need to be yelled at. She's carrying your child - show some respect here."

Spike immediately lowered his voice, "I'm sorry. It's just that this is a little bit..."

"Shocking? Inconvienient for you? Scary?" It was Buffy's turn to raise her voice.

"Buffy, you need to calm down too." Dawn turned to her sister, "I called Spike because it's only fair that your daughter know her daddy too. You know in your heart I'm right."

"It's a girl?" Spike asked once again stepping a little closer to Buffy.

"Yes." Buffy sighed, "A girl. She's due to arrive in about a month. Want me to send you a card when she gets here?"

"Send me a card?" He looked at her as if she'd lost her mind, "Don't be bloody stupid, I'm going to be here when she's born."

"Oh no you aren't." Buffy stood up.

"Yes I am. I don't care how hard you try to drive me away this time, I'm staying." He crossed his arms and stared at her.

"Fine." She pouted, "Do whatever you want."

Dawn could sense that a great battle of wills had started. She looked from Buffy sulking in the chair to Spike who had an unreadable look on his face.

Whatever I want? How about I take you in my arms and kiss you soundly, what if I want to touch you - touch your belly where my child, no - our child is growing. Spike's mind reeled, there was way too much to comprehend right now. "I'll be going now, but I will be back Buffy. I promise whether you like it or not I am going to be here and help you and I'm going to be there for our daughter too." He walked towards the front door with Dawn following.

"Thanks for coming, Spike." Dawn smiled at him, "I know it doesn't seem like it, but she will come around."

"I don't know about that Niblet, but I'm not gonna leave without a good fight this time, way too much too lose here. I shouldn't have left the first time." He shook his head irritated with himself.

"You had no way of knowing. See you tomorrow?" Dawn gave him a small hug again and watched him leave down the walk.

"Dawn!" Buffy called from the living room. Dawn straightened her shoulders and walked into the living room ready to accept her punishment. Instead she found Buffy sitting quietly, "He's here, now what?"

"Buffy even I can see he loves you, he has a right to be here." Dawn sat on the couch exasperated.

"So love isn't always the answer, Dawn. Others have said they loved me, they didnt' stick around." Buffy looked around the room.

"No, the only one here seems to be Spike. Maybe you should think about that!" Dawn's patience was running thin.

"And what will everyone else think when they find out the truth?" Buffy stood up.

"Why does that matter? It's your baby, it's your life, maybe they could be happy for you for a change." Dawn gave Buffy a light hug. "He's not leaving you might as well accept that."

Buffy fidgeted as she lay in her bed, finding a comfortable position had become almost impossible and with so much on her mind she found it impossible to fall asleep. He was here, Spike was here, as angry as she was at Dawn, part of her was glad he was here, part of her had to smile at the look on his face when he told her he would be there for her and their child. She finally fell into a restless sleep.

Spike paced the length of his old crypt over and over again. A baby - how did this happen? He wasn't sure why he wasn't questioning this more, but for some reason he knew it was true the baby was his. Now to make that stubborn, pig-headed Slayer, Buffy Anne Summers see that they could be a family. He would start working on that tomorrow.


"Wow, I thought you'd wait till dark." Dawn told Spike she let his blanket covered form into the house.

"Thought I might as well start helping now, where is Buffy?" He asked as he folded his blanket.

"She's taking a nap, you can start on the crib though. It's upstairs in mom's room."

Dawn showed Spike the crib and helped him find the toolbox. After an hour and a pinched thumb and several expletives uttered that Dawn had never heard before the crib began to look like a crib.


Buffy awoke to a "Where is the bloody bolt for this side?!" being shouted from across the hall. She got up and met Dawn in the hallway, she nodded towards her mom's room, "What is he doing here?" She asked glaring at the vampire through the open door.

"He is putting the crib together." Dawn explained as she walked into the room.

Buffy followed her into the room, "Xander said he would put the crib together."

"Yeah a month ago and it was still in the box. Baby will be here soon, she's going to need a place to sleep." Dawn smiled at Spike and winked.

"I didn't mind putting it together, Buffy. I told you I wanted to help." Spike stood and surveyed his work.

Buffy took a step closer and ran her hand over the cribs rails. She smiled at him, "Thanks." She muttered as she rummaged through the closet and found the crib sheets and blankets. "I have to wash these before we can put them on the crib."

Spike smiled at Dawn over Buffy's head. "Let me help you with those."

"I'm not an invalid I can carry them downstairs." Buffy huffed as she left the room arms full.

She took the packages downstairs and began to open the crib sheets and recieving blankets. She tossed the wrappers into the trash and started towards the basement door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Spike asked as he entered the kitchen.

"Duh, laundry?" Buffy glared at him.

"Those steps are steep, you aren't going down them with that load." Spike took the blankets and sheets from her.

"So you're going to wash them?" Buffy laughed softly.

"Yes, Niblet can help." Spike told her as he dissppeared down the basement steps. He called up the stairs to her, "Hey wheres the soap?"

Buffy shook her head as she called back down, "It's on the shelf next to the washer, use the Ivory Snow flakes."


Xander showed up two nights later to put the crib together he was surprised to find Spike taking the trash out as he was leaving for the night. "Why is chip boy back?" He asked Buffy when Spike left.

"He decided to come back to Sunnydale. Who can explain Spike?" She replied nervously.

"And he took the ..pregnancy okay? I mean I know he had this obsession with you." Xander nudged Buffy for information.

"He took it fine, and he's even been helping out, he put the crib together." Buffy explained as Xander's face fell.

"I'm sorry Buff, I should have came over sooner." Xander apologized.

"It's okay." Buffy smiled at him.


Over the next two weeks Spike seemed to melt back into his odd place with the Scoobies. Tara kept a watchful eye on he and Buffy, she had a theory about the babies daddy that she couldnt' share with anyone else. Buffy had refused to talk about the father and the others had given up asking.

"So can I go?" Dawn asked Buffy as she took a bite of pie.

"A nighttime field trip in Sunnydale. Sounds like a disaster just waiting to happen." Buffy replied as she played with her own slice of pie.

"It's for part of our astrology class - you know stars and planets they show up better at night. And you can come, adults are welcome." Dawn smiled brightly.

"Me on a hill top in this shape. I don't think so." Buffy sighed.

"I could go with her." Spike spoke up from across the table.

"Yes - that would be so cool. Please Buffy, can Spike go with me?" Dawn asked excitedly.

Oh great now I'll owe him for this and all the other stuff he's done lately. Buffy sighed again, "If he really wants to go with you, I guess it's okay."

"I'd love to go, Niblet. When is it?"

"Next Tuesday night." Dawn answered as she stood and gave him a hug, "Thanks."

"No problem, why don't you clear these dishes for sis so she can go put those swollen feet up?" Spike nodded towards the kitchen.

"Okay!" Dawn began to clear the table.

"Why does she do that for you so easily without whining?" Buffy asked as she tried to stand. Spike was behind her in a flash pulling her chair out a bit further so she could stand.

"It's my charm I guess." He smirked at Buffy as she nodded her thanks.

Long after Dawn had gone on to bed, Buffy was still wide awake. Spike had stuck around and played several games of gin rummy with her, now at two a.m., he was rubbing her swollen feet.

"I know what you're doing, Spike. You're trying to worm your way int here." Buffy closed her eyes and lay her head on the arm of the couch as she stretched out a bit further. Her feet rested in Spike's lap.

"I never hid my motives here, I told you I was going to help and I am. Is it working?" He grinned at her as he continued to rub her feet.

"Hmmm... keep rubbing my feet and we'll talk about it." She smiled a genuine smile at him.

Within a few minutes she was sleeping. He carefully moved off the couch and covered her with an afghan before he checked the doors and left.


The next Tuesday

Buffy woke up with a funny feeling she couldn't put her finger on. The day before she had been full of energy, she had Spike wash all the baby clothes and she had folded them and packed her hospital bag. Today she felt okay but there was a small twinge of something in her back, she kind of ignored it as she ate breakfast and sent Dawn to school. She had another doctors appointment tomorrow she'd talk to the doctor then.

She noticed as the day wore on the twinge became a small pain but they weren't consistent pains so she didn't worry anyone about it when Willow or Tara called to do their daily Buffy check.

Dawn came home to find Buffy lying on the couch watching a talk show, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just tired. Tonight's the field trip, right?" Buffy asked as she sat up.

"Uh huh... Spike should be here at dark, are you sure you'll be okay alone?" Dawn asked slightly worried about how tired Buffy looked.

"Yeah, I might go to the Magic Box for some company though. Don't worry about me and you can take the cellphone so that I can call you if I need you." Buffy patted Dawn's arm.

The sisters were interrupted by the sound of the front door opening, "Lil Bit you ready?" Spike called out as he entered the house.

"Yeah, I'm ready." Dawn looked at Buffy, "You're sure it's okay to go?"

Spike looked concerned, "You not feeling well, Buffy?"

"I'm fine it's nothing. I've got another week to go." Buffy walked Dawn and Spike to the door, she handed Dawn the cellphone, "There if I need you I'll call."

Spike looked unsure, "You look pale... you sure you don't want Dawn to stay."

"I'm okay. Go." She smiled as she waved goodbye to them.

Buffy noticed that her little crampy feeling had become a little pain as she cooked herself some supper. She shook it off as she sat down in front of the tv and started flipping through the channels. After two hours the little pains became regular they started out about every ten minutes or so. Buffy decided that maybe she should call someone, maybe Willow and Tara. She didn't want to worry Dawn yet. Picking up the phone she tried to dial the number but the phone did not want to cooperate - she went to the kitchen phone and it didn't have a dialtone either. She leaned against the counter for a moment, the pains were getting a bit harder and they were closer now. She decided that she could walk to the Magic Box, someone would be there or at least the phone worked there.

A block from the Magic Box the pains became more intense and they were now five minutes apart. She made it to the store and called out "Hello" as she entered the store setting off the bell.

Anya appeared, "Oh it's just Buffy." She called to the Xander, Willow and Tara who were seated around the research table.

Willow stood, "Buffy... you don't look so good. Here sit down."

"I think I'm in labor." Buffy took a deep breath.

"Well then shouldn't you be at the hospital?" Xander asked nervously.

"The phone doesn't work, Dawn is on a field trip looking at stars. I wasn't sure it was labor but the pains are worse now." Buffy sat down next to Tara.

"We can take you to the hospital." Tara told her helping Buffy stand up as she gathered her keys.

"Good... oh... oh... " Buffy cried out as a pain hit and a rush of warm fluid gushed down her legs.

"Buffy you're wa..water has broken." Tara exclaimed.

"I don't think I can make it to the hospital." Large tears ran down Buffy's face.

"It's okay, we'll put you in the training room. There are some spare blankets and a couple pillows back there. Willow and I can deliver if we have too." Tara took charge, "Willow come with me, Anya can you find gather the clean blankets?"

"Tara are you sure we can do this?" Willow whispered unsurely.

"Yes, my aunt was a midwife. We can do this."

"What do I do?" Xander asked worriedly.

"You help Willow get Buffy to the back room" Tara told him as she led the way to the training room. Anya appeared with blankets and Tara settled Buffy on to the soft mat on the floor a pillow under her head.

"How you doing?" She asked as she patted Buffy's knee.

"It hurts, I didn't think I was this far into labor." Buffy took another deep breath.

"Well your slayer strength probably helped with the pain until you got so far along." Tara explained as she helped Buffy take off her pants and adjusted a blanket over her."

"It REALLY hurts!" Buffy gritted her teeth.

Xander offered her his hand and she took it squeezing as the next pain hit. He winced with pain.

The pains were now even closer, Tara thought the baby should be crowning soon. Buffy was being strong but now tears rolled down her cheeks.

"It's okay, Buffy. It will be over soon."Willow smoothed back her friends hair.

Buffy suddenly spoke up, "I want Spike."

Willow looked surprised, "Spike?"

Tara smiled a knowing smile.

Xander looked like Buffy had lost her mind, "Why would you want Spike now?"

"Because I do, I need him." Buffy took another deep breath.

"We're all here, Buffy. You don't need Spike." Xander shook his head at her. He didn't even see her fist coming as it connected with his face. He flew back on the floor out cold.

"What did you do that for?" Anya screamed as she rushed to Xander's side.

Tara and Willow checked Xander out and told Anya he would be fine when he came too. They helped her put a pillow under his head and went back to Buffy.

Willow looked at Tara suspiciously, "Why does she want Spike?"

"I think thats for her to tell but I wish you would go find him, please, just trust me on this." Tara smiled at Willow.

"Buffy, Willow is going to find Spike, okay? But he may not get her in time, you're very close to delivering." Tara explained in a soothing voice.

"You can call my cell phone, he's with Dawn. She has the phone." Buffy winced as another strong pain hit.

Willow quickly dialed the number, "Dawn, yes it's Willow. Buffy ... she's okay, she's in labor though. No not the hospital the Magic Box, she wants Spike here... Spike?... Okay but hurry." Willow hung up the phone and turned to Buffy, "They are on their way, should just be a few minutes."

"Good because that's all we have." Tara informed her as she checked Buffy again. "The baby is beginning to crown."

Fifteen minutes later, Spike and Dawn arrived at the Magic Box. "I'm here, Buffy!" Spike called out as they entered the training room. Buffy's hair hung in sweaty tendrils and her eyes were filled with determination as Tara told her it was time to push.

"You're here." Buffy said hoarsly.

"Told you I would be. You can't do anything the normal way can you Buffy?" He grinned at her as she took his hand and squeezed tightly. He never flinched.

Dawn sat on the other side, Buffy gave her a smile and whispered "Thank you, Dawn. You were right."

"OKay, another big push, Buffy." Tara coaxed her.

Buffy pushed with every bit of strength left in her. "She's here!" Willow cried out as Tara cleaned out the babies mouth and she started to wail. Tara wrapped the baby in a blanket and lay her on her mother's chest.

Buffy and Spike looked lovingly at the tiny bundle on her mommy's chest, tiny arms flailed around as everyone moved closer to admire the baby. "She's beautiful." Spike told Buffy as he grasped a tiny hand in his, "Just like her mommy."

"Did I miss anything?" Xander asked groggily as Anya helped him stand.

"I"m sorry Xander." Buffy smiled at her friend, "But there is someone here who would like to meet you."

"She's perfect." Anya cooed at the baby before turning to Xander, "I want one, Xander."

Xander grinned at his fiancee' then noticed Spike, "So chip boy did make it. At the risk of being punched out again, why did you want him here?"

"Doesn't matter does it, Whelp? " Spike continued to stare at his family.

Dawn spoke up, "All thats important are these two right now.Mommy and baby." She smiled at her sister and neice.

Buffy sat up and made herself a bit more comfortable the baby snuggling against her mommy. She turned to Spike and smiled then she turned back to her friends, She took Spike's hand in hers, took a deep breath and pronounced "And Daddy makes three."

Spike's grin lit the room, he carefully placed his arm around Buffy and pulled her and the baby close to him. Dawn and Tara smiled while the others stared unbelieveably at the picture before them.

Willow nodded her head as if it had just dawned on her - she smiled at Buffy and then at Spike. "Take care of them."

"With my life." Spike nodded.

"But he's the... no..not Spike. He can't be... no." Xander mumbled. Buffy nodded and smiled at him, " He really is, Xander. You'll just have to accept it."

"How? No, I don't want to know." He continued to mumble as the sirens of the ambulance drew closer, the paramedics arrived and loaded Buffy and the baby for the ride to the hospital.

"I'll be right there." Spike kissed Buffy's forehead.

"I know." Buffy smiled at him as they closed the doors, "You're always there when I need you."

The End

 

<< back