"Final Notch"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


She's angry, when she's angry she tends to ramble at her quarry. Tonight the poor vamp is listening to her go on and on about a Professor maybe. Sounds like she had a bad day at school. Wish I could visit that Professor, I 'd make whatever is wrong, right for her.

Might as well join the scuffle. I shrug and jump into the fight! Staking the vamp while she *regroups* as she puts it. I would love to see warmth and thanks in those eyes, but I don't, I see irritation instead. She accuses me of getting in her way and instead of just listening to her gripe - I have to make it personal. I bring up the soldier and the notches on her headboard. I bring up that she's alone, that they left her. Her face clouds over, I've hit a nerve. I want to revel in her pain. But I don't, I just watch her stalk out of the cemetary alone and angry.

I shake my head and go back to my crypt. Next time, next time I see her it will be different. I'll try to be understanding not angry.


The Council is here in my crypt! The three of them look like they should be checking their pants, probably never been this close to a real vampire. No, they leave that job to teenaged girls. Bunch of cowards not worthy to be in the same room as my Slayer.

They question her tactics. And I admit I'm not very helpful. But the woman watcher, she's intrigued by me and I get my chance. I ask how Buffy is doing, is she getting high marks. She should, she's the best Slayer they've ever had. They avoid my question and leave. I have to wonder what the hell is going on?


She's here again. It's Buffy, I try to act nonchalant. "Oh, it's the Slayer." I tell her hiding my happiness at seeing her here. I want to know what's going on, I want to ask questions. But I notice she's not alone. Quietly standing at the crypt entrance is Joyce and the little sister. Now I'm really curious. "What's up with the family outing?" I ask her.

She looks serious as she tell me she needs my help. MY help, she needs me. I forget my promise to be understanding and throw out a remark about needing cash. She doesn't even really get angry, she just looks deadly serious as she explains she wants me to watch her mom and sis for her. I want answers I ask if she' okay? So, I don't ask it that tactfully, but I do find out she's okay. Finally she just tells me she needs to know if I'll do it. Of course I'm gonna do it, like I could ever deny her anything. I'm going to want answers later though.

She's out the door with a warning, which I brush off. We don't mean the threats we throw at each other anymore. Joyce is a Passions fan so we watch as the little one does some school work. Dawn is not happy to be here, but that's okay. Buffy wants her here and that's enough for me.

Joyce is talkative and I find out that Riley is far,far away. Buffy seems to be handling it but her Mom worries about her. She doesn't really know why Buffy brought them to me, Buffy wouldn't tell her. Joyce might possibly be an ally if I ever get the nerve to confess my feelings.


Several hours later, Buffy returns. She is going to take her family to a hotel for the evening. She actually thanks me for taking care of them. No sarcasm, no threats, just a heartfelt thank you. I tell her that I want to know whats going on. She says she can't tell me. I retort that I don't care anyway and slump down in my chair, ignoring them as they leave

But what I really want to do is take her in my arms, I want to be a notch in her headboard, the final notch. Because if I ever make it there, I'm gonna be the one who doesn't leave her.

 

The End

 

<< back