"Forgiveness"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


"And things can never go badly wrong.
If the heart be true and the love be strong."
-
George MacDonald

Buffy burst through the mansions door. It had been a rough night. She had argued with Giles about Angel, she had argued with Xander about Angel and she had staked three particularly nasty vamps. All she wanted to do now was be with Angel.

"Angel" she called out. Where was he? "Angel" she called out again.

"I'm here, Buffy. What's wrong?" he asked as he entered from the garden.

"Bad night. I needed to see you." she smiled as she fell into his arms for a strong hug. She pressed against his chest. He buried his face in her sweet smelling hair. He realized he could be perfectly happy just standing, holding her like this forever.

"What happened?" he asked softly as they sat down.

"Argued with Giles, argued with Xander, staked three nasty vamps." she explained as she lay her head on his chest.

"Argued about what? Or should I ask who?" he asked already knowing the answer to the question.

"Not important. What's important, is that I am here." she reassured him in a soft voice.

Angels return had not been an easy one. He had been weak and confused and scared. Buffy had been afraid, not knowing what to expect from him. They had assumed they could never be together again, even though each had willingly given the forgiveness that the other needed. Not everyone could forgive so easily.

Willow had been the first to accept Angels return. She had actually helped he and Buffy get back together. Willow assured them that although she had cast the spell to restore his soul, the curse was not in place anymore.

"Angel" Willow had asked "Are you happy with Buffy, now?"

"Of course, she is my only happiness!" he had replied sincerely, looking at Buffy while he spoke.

"She's your happiness, and your soul is still intact!" said Willow with a smile.

Willow also had an explanation for Angels return from hell. It was to her a simple explanation - Love. She felt that the true unselfish love that Buffy and Angel shared was the reason he was returned. She didn't have any proof of this or anything to back up her theory, she just liked to believe that a love that strong has some kind of power.

"It is important, Buffy. You can't go on arguing with Giles. Or even Xander for that matter. It's too hard on you."Angel told her as he ran his fingers through her blond hair.

"Angel, what's important is us. I don't care if Giles or Xander, or anyone understands. I understand! I love you, and I will not lose you again - for anyone!" she said as she looked up into his eyes.

"Buffy, I don't want to lose you again either. I know you have forgiven me, but you love me. I don't know if we can ever expect the others to forgive and forget." he told her sadly.

"Angel, do you care about how they feel or how I feel?" she asked him seriously.

"You - I care about you. But these people are a big part of your life. Tension with them, well you'll resent me for it... someday." he said softly.

"I seriously doubt that. I love you, no matter what." she told him as she placed her lips on his.

"I love you too." he said a little bit of worry in his voice.

"Then show me!" she said as she kissed him again. He pulled her closer to him. They were soon lost in each other.

"I've got to go" said Buffy as she disentangled herself from Angels embrace several hours later. "My Mom will be missing me."

"Yeah, you should go. You don't need to argue with yet another person about me." Angel said with a half smile.

"Angel, don't talk like that. I love you." she put her hand on his cheek and kissed him lightly on the lips.

"I'm sorry. I love you, too." he told her as she left.


As Buffy lay in her bed that night, she decided that she would half to talk to Giles about Angel. Xander was probably a lost cause, but she knew she could count on Giles.

Buffy walked into the library the next morning, still trying to figure out what to say. Giles smiled as she approached him. "I trust the patrol went well last night" he asked her.

"It went fine. I staked three before I went to Angels." she told him, waiting for his reaction.

Giles cleared his throat then spoke "You saw Angel last night?" he asked her.

Buffy nodded her head yes. "I saw him last night, and I intend to keep seeing him. You see, I love him and nothing will ever change that. I've forgiven him, as he has forgiven me." she explained.

Giles frowned. "I don't think it's wise for you to be involved with him. As for forgiveness, I don't know..." his voice trailed off.

Buffy spoke softly "Giles, do you remember the ghosts of James and Grace. I couldn't understand how Grace could ever forgive him. Do you remember what you told me?"

Giles nodded, collected his thoughts and spoke "I told you that to forgive is an act of compassion. It's not done because a person deserves it, but because they need it."

"That's what you said. Now I need you to practice what you preach. I need you to forgive me and forgive Angel." she said it softly.

"Forgive you? For what?" he stammered.

"For impulsively sleeping with Angel, for being responsible for Angelus' rebirth, for Jennys death." she told him near tears.

"You are not responsible for Jennys death. That monster was!" Giles spit out the words.

"That's right, it was the monster. It wasn't Angel. If you blame him, you have to blame me. I am as responsible as he is." she explained with a sigh.

Giles was not sure what to say. She was making sense. He hesitated the said "Buffy, you don't need my forgiveness. You had no idea what would happen. Angel didn't know either. Maybe it is time to let this go." he sighed deeply.

"Maybe it is time, Giles. Maybe it's past time." she told him as she left the library.

After school she returned to the library. Giles was in a better mood. They trained for a short while as she left he asked her "Is Angel still at the mansion?"

"Yes. Why?" she asked him cautiously.

"Because I need to talk to him" Giles said seriously.

"Would you like me to go with you?" she asked.

"No. This needs to be done man-to-man so to speak" explained Giles.

"Well, I'll be by there later after patrol" she told him as she left the library.


Later that evening

"Hello! Is anyone here?" Giles called as he entered the mansion. He looked around.

"Hello, Giles." Angel said as he stepped from the shadow. "I'm surprised to see you here. Have a seat"

"I guess you would be. But I need to talk to you." Giles explained as he sat down.

Angel sad down across from him. "Before you start, I know it means nothing to you. But I need to apologize again for everything." Angel told him sadly his head bend down.

"Um...well...Buffy talked to me this morning. She threw some of my own words at me. She made sense, this time she was right. I hate when she's right." he said with a faint smile.

"Me, too!" agreed Angel with a smile.

"She convinced me it was time to separate you from the demon. I think I can do that now. But I feel compelled to tell you that if you ever harm her in any way, I will personally stake you myself." Giles said in a serious tone.

"I love her, I don't know what else to say" Angel replied just as serious.

"Oh, I know you love her. I just don't want you to hurt her ever again." Giles said softly.

"I won't. I would rather die." Angel told him sincerely.

"Well, I need to go now. Take care of Buffy." he told him as he went to the door.

He bumped into Buffy on his way out. "Are you okay?" she asked him.

"I'm just fine. I'll see you in the morning." he told her with a smile.

Buffy then went to Angel "And you, you're just fine, too?" she asked him.

"I am good. Giles has fogiven me. But he also warned that he would stake me, if I hurt you." Angel said smiling now.

"Then you better be on your best behavior! I knew he would come around. It's good to see you happy." she told him as she stared into his deep brown eyes.

"Forgiveness"...kiss..."is a"...kiss..."wonderful"...kiss... "thing!" he told her as they sat down together. Buffy loved seeing him like this. They soon were snuggled close together on the couch. Happy and content with just each other and their unending love for each other.

 

The End

 

<< back