"For The Love Of Buffy"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


"The proof that experience teaches us nothing is that the end of one love does not prevent us from beginning another."
-
Paul Bourget

Spike took a long drag off of his cigarette and punched the stone wall of the crypt. Fresh blood flowed from his abused knuckles. He didn't seem to notice as he hit the wall one more time. Relishing the pain in his hand it took his mind off the pain in his heart.

Valentines Day - he had envisioned confessing his feelings to Buffy and then taking her out for a Valentines celebration. Now he didn't imagine that it could have gone anymore wrong. His confession was met with disbelief and fear. She denied any feelings whatsoever for him. And now as he sat alone he realized that she had protested a bit much and he thought he understood why. Buffy's luck with vampire love was pretty disastrous so all of this was bound to scare her a bit.

He flinched as he remembered her words, " Is this some kind of trick?"

"No, it's no trick. I love you... "

She had flushed and immediately began yelling at him,"You dont' love me! You don't."

Spike had remained calm, "I do love you."

"You can't love me and I... I can't love you." She had bit her bottom lip and turned from him. As she walked away he could still hear her whispering, "I can't, I just can't."

He had walked back to the crypt with a bottle of whiskey and the intent to drink himself into oblivion. As he entered his crypt his already horrendous evening took a turn for the worse.

"My Spike." The familiar voice crooned from the corner. He stopped in his tracks, it couldn't be. He turned to the voice, Druscilla stood smiling at him.

"Dru?"

"Yes, my Spike. I've come for you. I'm ready to take you back now." She smiled at him seductively.

"I thought you didn't want me anymore." Spike spoke wearily. Six months ago this would have seemed like heaven, now it seemed more like hell. He could not deal with Dru tonight.

"That was before, Spike. When you had the Slayer all over you. I've fixed that problem." Drusilla giggled madly.

Fear rose in Spike's chest, "What have you done, Dru?" He asked calmly belying the intense fear he felt.

"I have a present for you." She motioned to him to follow her to the dark corner of the crypt.

In the corner lie Buffy bleeding profusely from a chest wound. Her eyes were glazed with pain, her breathing haggard as she tried to focus on him. Her mouth opened to speak, "I... I came back to... " She barley got the words out before Dru gave her a violent kick.

Spike growled with anger and without a thought he picked up a broken limb that had come through the crypt window during the last storm, he plunged it into Drusilla's chest, smiling at the confused look on her face as she exploded into a pile of dust.

Without a second look at where Dru had stood, he knelt beside Buffy. "Let's go, I'll get you to the hospital."

"No...wait." She gasped out her voice strained.

"We have to go now." Spike told her as he lifted her into his arms. Her heartbeat was slowing with every labored breath. A thought occured to him as he felt her slipping away from him. He changed directions heading or the Crawford Street Mansion instead.

"I have to tell you." She spoke softly.

"Tell me what?" Spike asked her as he walked up the steps to the mansion.

"I... came to ... the crypt." She paused and took a shallow breath. "To tell you... that I... know... you love me."

He managed a worried smile, "Now you figure it out." He said lightly trying to hide his fear as he opened the door and carried her to the couch. Lying her down gently. He picked up the phone - still had dial tone, Sunnydale never ceased to amaze him. He made a quick call and returned to her side.

He pushed the damp hair from her face, he could feel her body temperature dropping. *Hurry*

He smiled at her, "So what convinced you?" He asked trying to keep her concious.

"I've known for awhile... and I just didn't want... to hear it." She managed a very weak smile. With much effort she lifted her hand and with a feather light touch stroked his cheek. "You staked Dru for me."

She fought to hold her eyes open, "I... I love you too." She said the words in a barely audible whisper and then she was gone.

The door the mansion flew open as a Kildare knight ran in having heard the primal scream of grief emanating from the house. He rushed to the couch to find Spike holding Buffy to him tightly, crying into her hair.

He turned to the Kildare and spat out the words "You're too late."

* The Kildare surveyed the situation and with a gentle hand removed Buffy's body from Spike's grasp. The vampire was wrong, there was the faintest of heartbeats and the shallowest of breaths coming from the body. He opened his bag bringing out several vials of noxious looking and smelling concoctions.

Spike sat on the chair opposite the knight, the very portrait of abject misery. His tears continued to course down his face as he watched the Kildare's every move. "Be careful with her." He muttered as he watched the hands of the Kildare administer a plaster to Buffy's wound. "Won't help, she's gone." Spike sighed but continued to watch.

Within a few moments, Buffy's heartbeat picked up, Spike could hear it across the room. Her breathing returned to normal and the pink returned to her cheeks. She opened tired eyes and smiled at him.

Spike breached the small space between them and was soon at her side. He took her small hand in his. He turned to the Kildare, "Thank you." He murmured softly as he kissed Buffy's hand.

"It was an honor, vampire. The knights of Kildare are only allowed to use our healing gifts if the person who asks for the healing is deserving. I have to confess that when Willy called me I did not believe that a vampire could be deserving of this gift. But when I saw and felt the love you feel for the Slayer I had no choice. She is out of danger now." He refilled his bag and stood to go.

"Thank you." Buffy smiled at the knight.

"Wait," Spike stood and followed the kildare to the door. He talked with him for several minutes. He slipped a vial into his pocket and returned to Buffy.

"Happy Valentines Day, luv." He smiled at her and kissed he cheek, "Let get you something warm to drink."


"I can't believe she is gone." Willow cried as Giles hugged her tightly unable to hide his own grief.

"We knew it would happen, but not this way. Not Druscilla." Xander spit out the vampiress name. Anya lay a comforting hand on his arm.

The Summer's house was a house of mourning. Joyce and Dawn had retired to thier rooms unable to hold up any longer. The funeral had been at dusk to allow for Angel and Spike to attend. Wesley and Cordelia had driven Angel to Sunnydale, his deep grief had caused him to retreat even further into himself. Spike had not shown up for the ceremony. Willow had thought it odd, but Giles had just put it off to his being Spike.

The mourners soon divided and returned to thier homes knowing their lives would never be the same without the effervescent Buffy among them. The Council contacted a new Slayer and life went on.


"So you like it, luv?" Spike asked her as he lit the candles on the table in their cabin. The cruise ship had been his idea, she needed the rest after her run in with Dru.

Buffy had been so tired after her injury, Spike explained that she had slept for days. It had been a shock to wake up on a cruise ship, even more surprising that Giles had agreed to let he go with Spike. She grinned at him as she took a bite of her shrimp salad. "Yes, Spike I like it. I hate the thought of going back."

"Ah, pet. Maybe we can do somethng about that." Spike smiled back at her.

If she didnt' stake him as soon as he told her what he had done, maybe he could convince her it was for the best.

Later that night, there was a small blond explsoion of anger in cabin 28. Followed by a vampires declaration of love and loyalty. Followed by sighs and moans of contentment.

Over the next several years, Giles recieved many second hand reports of people who thought sure they had seen the fallen Slayer with a striking blond man in various parts of Europe. Whenever he got a new report he would just file it with the others and have a cup of tea and smile...

 

The End

 

<< back