"Hush Little Baby"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


The small bedside lamp burned softly in the room. The tall man shifted uncomfortably in the chair as he watched the totally exhausted blond sleeping in the bed. She was absolutely stunning even tired and sleeping. He gently picked up one small hand and kissed the back of it, she didn't even stir. He smiled and ran a gentle hand through her hair pushing it back from her face. She had had a very long day and had come through it with the bravery and grace that she seemed to exude in all circumstances.

A tiny cry came from the other side of the bed. He stood and walked quickly to the bassinet there, not wanting wake his wife. He grinned as he carefully picked up the crying infant, supporting the head as he held her close to him. Whispering words of comfort to soothe her.

He sat down in the nearby rocking chair and began to rock gently, holding the tiny bundle close to his heart. She calmed as he rocked and then he began to sing ever so softly.

"Hush, little baby
don't say a word.
Papa's going to buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Papa's going to buy you a diamond ring."

The baby looked up at him through newborn squinted eyes. And he could have sworn she smiled at him. As Riley continued the song she her eyes began to close and soon she was fast asleep. He fingered the tiny hospital bracelet on her equally tiny wrist and marveled once again at the miracle that was Baby Girl Finn.

At less then twelve hours old she had captured his heart and he already knew that there was nothing in this world that he would not do for her.

Riley looked up to see Buffy smiling lovingly at him from the bed.

Life was good.

The End

<< back