"Special Delivery In Memphis"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com

Buffy picked up the phone and dialed the school's number. She quickly explained that she wouldn't be in today. She had a doctor's appointment. She got dressed quickly. She didn't want to wake Spike, it was best if he not know about this, not yet.

Buffy was nervous as she sat in the doctors office and read the same magazine from 1992 over and over again. Finally her name was called. She stepped into the examination room. The nurse took her vitals and she was waiting again. She had just enough time to think about why she was here. She couldn't be, Angel said vampires couldn't. Well, maybe these symptoms could be something else. She was worried now.

The Doctor came in and spoke to her softly, he did the usual eyes, ears and throat exam. Then sat down and asked her about her symptoms, "General fatigue, slight nausea and by the way I've missed two periods." She told him with a sigh.

"Well, let's do a pregnancy test. He went into the cabinet and pulled out a specimen cup." Handing it to her, he told her to urinate in the cup and leave it in the tray. He left the room.

Buffy collected the specimen and went back to the exam room. She sat on the table swinging her legs like a little girl. The Doctor was back in 15 minutes with a smile. "Ms. Summer's you are pregnant."

"I am. Are you sure?" She asked the shock showing in her voice.

"Yes, I'm sure. Are you okay with this?" He asked concerned.

"Yeah, just shocked. We thought my husband couldn't have children." She explained.

"I know this is a personal question, but you are sure this is your husbands child aren't you?" He asked softly.

Buffy looked at him and smiled "Oh, yes! It's definitely his baby!"

"Well, then just consider this a miracle. A surprise blessing." He patted her shoulder. "Make an appointment with the nurse on the way out and get this scrip for prenatal vitamins filled. You need to come back in next week for lab work."

She nodded her head, still letting the news sink in. < Spike, how do I tell Spike? >

Buffy made her appointment. She drove home slowly, smiling to herself. A baby, she didn't know how - but they were having a baby!

She unlocked the door to the condo and went directly to the bedroom. Spike was still sleeping soundly. She bent over and gently kissed his lips, he stirred, waking he smiled.

"Hey, why aren't you at school? Not that I'm complaining." He told her as he pulled her closer to him.

"I went to the doctor today." She told him smiling, she couldn't stop smiling.

He sat up, holding her in front of him, he looked directly in her eyes "Are you okay?" He asked panic in his voice.

"I'm fine. I'm more then fine. Spike, I don't know how it happened, well, I know how it happened. But I thought it couldn't happen." She rambled.

"Buffy, what happened, Luv?" Spike asked running out of patience.

"I'm pregnant! We are having a baby!" She exclaimed happily.

Spike stared at her a moment. He was speechless. He gulped a non breath and found his voice. "You, me, baby?" He asked.

"Yep. That sums it up." She told him pulling him close and lying her head on his chest.

He smiled broadly and ran his fingers through her hair. "I never thought it could happen."

"Are you happy?" She asked against his chest.

"Yes, Luv. I'm happy, very happy. Let's tell everyone. You call your Mom and Giles and Willow and Xander and I'll call Angel." He said excitedly.

"You want to call Angel and brag, don't you?" She giggled.

"Maybe, a little." He admitted laughing softly.

"Okay, I'll grant you that one little brag." She told him then softly added "Daddy."

Buffy pulled away from Spike and picked up the phone. After several happy, excited, giggle filled calls she handed the phone to Spike.

"Everyone is as excited as we are. Mom, can't wait to be a grandma! And Giles thinks he'll like being Grandpa Giles."

"Good. Now I get to call Angel." Spike dialed the number.

"He's probably still sleeping, Spike." Buffy warned him.

"Don't care, he can wake up for this!" Spike spoke into the phone "Hello, wanker! Yes, it's me. This is important! Listen, Buffy is going to have a baby!"

After a few moments Spike spoke again "I know it's a bloody miracle. Yes, I know how lucky I am. Yes, I'll take good care of her." then a soft "Thank you, Angel. Yes, here she is." Spike handed the phone to Buffy.

"Hello, Angel. Yes, I'm happy. I can't believe it either. I will, I'll be careful, I promise. Me, too. I can't promise to make Spike behave, but I'll try." She giggled into the phone. "Bye, Angel."

She hung up the phone and looked at Spike who had sat down beside her. "Did you get to brag enough?"

"Well, I could have gone on longer, but as usual Peaches only wanted to make sure I took care of you. When will he learn that I love you as much as he does?" Spike kissed her nose.

"Spike, get off the Angel talk and back to me. Your pregnant wife." She laughed and leaned into kiss him posessively. He eagerly returned the kiss, he went to unbutton her dress, then stopped "Are you up to this?" He asked softly.

"Yes, Spike, this is how I got in this position to begin with." She laughed softly and helped him with the buttons.

4 weeks later

Buffy reached for crackers on the bedside table, she quickly stuffed two in her mouth before she even sat up. Her Mom said they would settle her stomach, ugh - it didn't seem to be working. She sprang up from the bed and ran to the bathroom.

<She's been doing this for a couple weeks now, it can't be healthy.> Spike woke up to the sound of retching. "You okay, Buffy?" He called into the bathroom worriedly.

"I'm fine. I'll be okay." She told him weakly.

Spike climbed out of bed and joined her in the bathroom, "Call in sick. I don't think this is right, you shouldn't be this sick."

"Spike, it's normal morning sickness. Don't worry, I can't miss everyday that I'm pregnant."

"I wish you would just quit and stay home for awhile." He told her frowning. "You're sure this is normal?" He didn't push the argument, she cried way too easily nowadays.

Buffy nodded and started her water for her shower. She got ready for work and tucked her husband back into the bed. Kissing him on the cheek, she waved goodbye. "Buffy, be careful." He called after her.

Spike slept most the day, waking up shortly before Buffy was due home. He wasn't sure about all of these pregnancy symptoms, he needed some answers, but didn't want to worry Joyce or Giles. He didn't want to but he picked up the phone and dialed Angel's number.

"Hello." came the familiar voice of his sire.

"Angel, this is Spike."

"Yes, what do you want? You called me Angel, not Peaches or Wanker or Brood Boy." Angel asked suspiciously.

"What do you know about pregnant women?" Spike asked nervously.

"What?" came Angel's reply.

"Well, Buffy is really sick in the mornings. I know they have morning sickness, but she is just miserable. And if I say something wrong, and half the time I don't know what I said wrong - she cries. I want her not sick and happy. What do I do?" Spike asked tenderness in his voice.

Angel had to laugh at the genuine love in Spikes voice for Buffy. He really, truly, loved her, as much as Angel himself did.

"What's so bleeding funny? I thought you cared for her, you should see the poor little thing tossing her cookies every morning." Spike was annoyed, he was thinking this had been a bad idea.

"I'm sorry, Spike. It's not funny. But Buffy's morning sickness is normal, and it will pass. As for the crying, I don't know I guess it's the hormones. Just be careful what you say or do and give her lots of love and support." Angel told him with a suppressed laugh.

"You sure it's normal. I'm worried about her and the little one."

"Spike, she'll be okay. Women have been having babies for a very long time. Buffy can do it."

"She's not just any woman, mate." Spike said softly.

"Don't I know it." replied Angel just as softly.

Spike hung up the phone and went to the kitchen, he was going to cook a wonderful meal for Buffy. Hopefully she would be able to keep it down.

Many weeks later

Buffy stood at the chalkboard in front of the class she was writing an assignment on the board. As her arm reached up she felt it, the tiniest of fluttering in her womb. It was a barely there sensation, she smiled to herself at the wonder of the tiny life growing and moving inside of her. As soon as class was over she went to the lounge and called Spike.

"Hello."

"Hello, Daddy." Came Buffy's soft voice over the phone.

"Hello, Mummy. Is everything okay?" He asked concern in his voice.

"Perfect, I felt the baby move today. Just a few minutes ago." She told him softly, he could imagine the smile on her face.

"Well, he's obviously going to play football one day. Starting training early." He teased her.

"What if he is a she?" She softly giggled into the phone.

"Then she will be beautiful, just like her mum." He answered.

"You won't mind a girl?" She asked him.

Spike had gotten the hang of talking to Buffy the pregnant woman. Agree with her and tell he what she wanted to hear. "Of course, I won't mind. This baby is a miracle and we'll be happy whatever we get."

"That is so sweet. I've got to go now." She sighed into the phone.

"I love you, Buffy."

"Love you, too." She hung up the phone and went back to class.

Spike hung up the phone smiling, his baby was moving inside of Buffy. It was indeed a miracle. He picked up the phone, he had to call Angel with the news. As strange as it sounded Buffy's pregnancy had restored their friendship, maybe Angel was the only one who really understood Spike.

"Angel. It's Spike. No, everything is okay. Buffy is fine, the baby is fine. That's why I called. She felt the baby move, Angel I have a child inside of Buffy growing and moving. Can you believe it?" Spike was smiling into the phone.

<Good, my delivery!> He chatted for awhile, the doorbell rang. He hung up the phone and answered it. He signed for the packages and began to open them. He had ordered lots of baby stuff from all kinds of catalogs. Buffy was going to be so surprised when she got home.

Buffy unlocked the front door and was met by Spike, he quickly put a gentle hand on her tummy. "Do you think I could feel it next time?" He asked barely restraining his joy.

"I don't know if it's that strong yet, but I'll let you know the next time it happens." Buffy told him her eyes wide as she surveyed the baby store that had once been her living room. Spike had purchased a bassinet, baby swing, car seat, playpen, stroller and crib. Buffy had already purchased an antique cradle. She laughed as she ran her hand over the hood of the bassinet. Spike stood in the middle of the livingroom ,screwdriver in hand assembling baby furniture.

"You ordered all of this?" She looked at Spike with a suppressed giggle.

He shook his head smiling broadly. He walked over to her pulling her against him gently kissing the top of her head. "Yes, I ordered all of this. Do you like it?" He asked excitedly.

She pulled back and looked up into his eyes. "I love it." She said tenderly, kissing him gently before she took a seat on the couch putting her feet up.

Weeks passed as Buffy and Spike readied the nursery for the baby. Spike painted and put up the border Buffy chose, then put up another when she changed her mind about the first one. He massaged her feet, repeatedly told her she was beautiful, and yes,she would lose all this weight when the baby was born. And he went out at two in the morning to get ice cream, and he always kept a box of tissue handy for those mood swings. He was all in all the perfect husband.

In her sixth month, they decided it was seriously time to pick out some names. They had chosen to be surprised and not know the sex of the baby until it was born. So, after the ultra sound they were told, the baby was a healthy baby - no sex given.

Spike sat next to Buffy on the couch his hand resting on her rippling tummy, smiling as the baby inside her made her blouse move with each gentle kick. "Names, we have to decide on a name." Buffy was saying as she lie her head on his shoulder.

"Gertrude for a girl, Hiram for a boy." Spike looked at her and laughed "Simple enough - names decided."

Buffy joined his laughter and swatted him with a sofa pillow "I am not sticking either of those names on my baby. Be serious."

"Okay, Buffy for a girl."

"No way. I am not sticking my daughter with this name. I like the name Jacie Anne for a girl and Judson William for a boy."

"Beautiful names, Buffy. I agree with you one hundred percent." Spike smiled at his wife, still awed at what was happening to them.

After Buffy went to bed, he dialed Angel's number again.

"Yeah, it's me. Everything is okay. We picked out names tonight. No, we are not naming a boy after you. What kind of bloody sissy name is Angelus, anyway?" Spike laughed into the phone.

"I'm wounded, Spike. Angelus is a noble name." Angel laughed back into the phone. "So what are the names to be?"

"Jacie Anne and Judson William. Buffy picked them."

"They are great names. I'm glad you let Buffy choose them."

"Peaches" Spike said in serious voice "I have a bloody favor to ask, and I'm not sure how to do it."

Angel responded "Well, calling me Peaches is a hell of a way to start. What do you want Spike?"

"I want you to come when it's time for the baby. I think I need a friend here, too." Spike spoke hesitantly.

Angel was silent for a moment, he let Spike's words soak in. "Of course, I'll come Spike. You wouldn't want one of the grandpa's to miss the birth."

"Grandpa, I'm your sire, your child is like my grandchild." Angel laughed into the phone.

"I hadn't thought of that." Spike joined in the laughter. "Buffy will get a kick out of that."

Everything went well until Buffy's seventh month. She developed a low backache one morning and could not get compfortable. That evening when she went to the bathroom, she was bleeding. "Spike!" She called from the bathroom.

Spike heard the fear in her voice and ran. He found her crying in the bathroom. "What's wrong?"

"I'm bleeding." She sobbed.

In a second, Spike had her in his arms carrying her to the car. He drove quickly to the hospital carrying her into the ER. A nurse ushered them into an exam room and the Doctor was called.

After a short exam he joined Spike in the hall. "How is she?" Spike asked anxiously.

"Her placenta has a rupture in it and her water has leaked slowly, putting her in a light labor. Her blood pressure is up and she is running a slight fever. I think we should induce and see how it goes, I'm afraid to let her go naturally, if we wait an infection could set in and you could lose her and the baby. The baby is small but has a good chance of survival." The Doctor explained optimistically. "She's asking for you."

"Do what ever it takes." Spike told the Doctor as he went into the room with Buffy. She looked very small laying on the bed, a fetal monitor around her tummy. He took her hand in his and pushed a stray hair from her forehead.

"Is the baby okay?" She asked tears shining in her eyes.

"Yes, the baby is fine. You will be too. They are going to induce your labor, so you can have the baby before anything can happen. I'm going to make a few phone calls while they get you settled. I'll be right back." Spike kissed her forehead and left the room.

The phone rang several times at Joyce Summer's but she did not answer. Spike tried Giles next. He answered on the first ring. Spike explained the situation his anxiety showing in his voice. Giles explained that Joyce was out of town, but he would be there as soon as possible.

Next he called Angel after he explained Angel chartered a plane, he would be there in a few hours.

Spike called Willow and Xander and told each of them not to come, he would keep them informed of her condition. He then went to join Buffy in her room, it was 8pm and they had just put her iv in to induce her labor. She looked tired already and it was just beginning. Fortunately the L&D rooms had no windows. Spike sat in the chair beside her stroking her hair, telling he it would be okay. After a couple of hours the medication started working, the monitor started to register her contractions. Spike watched the needle on the monitor. The doctor examined Buffy, it will be a few more hours he told her as she squeezed Spike's hand tighter as a contraction gripped her.

She was soaked in sweat now, her blond hair matted to her face. Spike pushed the wet hair out of her eyes. "Your're doing great." He whispered to her. She weakly smiled up at him as another contraction hit.

After three more hours Buffy was dilated to 8, it wouldn't be long now. Spike patted her arm "Not long now, Luv. It's almost over."

About an hour later, Buffy turned to Spike "I feel like I have to push." She told him wearily. He went for the doctor.

The doctor examined Buffy and announced that she was fully effaced. They helped her put her feet up in the stirrups and prepared to deliver the baby. A neonatal icu nurse stood on duty to take the tiny baby when it arrived.

Twenty minutes later, the Doctor told Buffy, "One more big push and you'll have a baby." Buffy took a deep breath, squeezed Spike's hand once more and pushed. She heard the doctor announce "It's a little girl." She lie her head down and sighed.

"Is she okay?" Buffy and Spike asked in unison.

The nurse smiled at them,"She's tiny, but she seems healthy. We'll know more when we get her to the nursery. Here, Mommy and Daddy can see her for a moment before we take her. She has good apgar scores."

The nurse lay the tiny wrapped bundle on Buffy's chest. She peered down at the tiny baby, she was very pink and had a tuft of soft light brown hair on her head. She opened tiny eyes that already shown a touch of green in the blue. Spike and Buffy looked at her with awe. The nurse quickly took her heading for the nursery.

Spike kissed his wifes forehead and smiled down at her. "You did it. Sweetheart."

The doctor put in a few stitches and told Buffy to rest. Spike sat with her for a few moments. "Spike, please go to the nursery. I want to know about the baby." She asked him softly. "I'll be okay. Please go."

"Okay, I'll be right back though." He kissed her again and went to the nursery.

On his way there he met Angel and Giles. Both men greeted him with smiles. "How is she?" Angel blurted out, his concern overwhelming his tactfulness.

"She's fine. I'm on my way to the nursery. I have a daughter, mate." He punched Angel in the arm. "Want to come see her with me?"

"Yes, let's go. Giles why don't you go ahead and see Buffy." Angel told the anxious watcher.

"Yes, I would like to see her. I'll see the baby later." Giles told them getting Buffys room number he went down the hall.

Angel looked at Spike seriously "She's really okay, right?"

"Yes, it was tough for a little while. But she was a real trooper. And the baby is gorgeous. I only got to see her for a few moments before they took her. She's tiny!" Spike explained as they approached the nursery window. He noticed the nurses and a doctor crowded around an incubator. He tapped lightly on the window, the delivery room nurse noticed him and went to the door.

The nurse led Spike to the sink to scrub and gown up. He smiled broadly at Angel through the glass as he held up his daughter to the window. "How big is she?" He asked the nurse.

"She's a small one, 3lbs. and 2 oz. But she is doing really well, when she puts on some weight she can go home."

Angel smiled at the tiny baby in Spike's arms. Never in a million years would he have thought this day would come. He knew the moment he lay eyes on the baby, that he would protect her with his life.

The nurse took the baby from him and put her on her side in the incubator. Spike joined Angel in the hallway and they walked to Buffy's room. Giles was sitting beside the bed, Buffy was tired but glowing.

Three weeks later

Spike rushed to open door of the condo for Buffy, she was carrying an infant seat with a pink ruffled cover. Spike was loaded down with a diaper bag and various balloons from the hospital. He smiled as he watched Buffy set the carrier on the coffee table. At exactly 5lbs. little Jacie had been able to come home from the hospital. She was still the tiniest baby that her parents had either one seen. And they were just a little unsure as to what to do with her besides love her which came pretty much naturally.

A tiny cry came from the baby as she scrunched up he little nose and tiny rosebud mouth. Both parents were over the carrier in seconds. "Is she okay?" Spike asked anxiously.

"I think she might be hungry. It's been a couple of hours since she nursed." Buffy told him feeling the slight tingling in her full breasts,she picked up the baby and sat herself in the new rocking chair. She unbuttoned her blouse and unsnapped her nursing bra, lightly stroking the side of the babies cheek, Jacie turned and after rooting around for a moment found her supper. She nursed happily, the soft sound of contented gurgling making Buffy smile.

Spike was speechless at the sight - Buffy nursing his child had to be one of the most beautiful events he had ever witnessed. She looked peaceful, beautiful and completely natural with the baby at her breast.

Soon the baby was sleeping peacefully curled up against her mothers chest. Buffy eased the tiny baby up on her shoulder and patted her gently on the back she was rewarded with a small burp. The baby slept through the whole procedure.

"I guess I should lay her down now?" Buffy looked at Spike. He nodded gently taking his daughter from her mother he lie her in the cradle in the corner of the room. Making sure she was on lying on her side he arranged the rolled blankets so she wouldn't roll over. He gently traced the outline of her tiny cheek with his finger. Then went to join her mother.

"Guess we should call everyone and tell them she's home."

Buffy made her calls and then handed the phone to Spike.

"I know you want to call Angel. Go do some more bragging about how beautiful she is, Daddy. And tell him - we don't need anymore stuffed animals, we won't have room for her in that room if he keeps sending them!" Buffy smiled and joined Spike on the couch, he picked up the phone. She leaned against his shoulder listening to his end of the conversation.

"Sure, that would be great. No, she won't mind. See you next week." Spike hung up the phone he turned to Buffy "He's coming next week. Is that okay?"

"Of course, it's okay. Mom can't come for two weeks, she has a trip planned." Buffy's eyes started fluttering. She was tired from all the trips to the hospital, but it had all been worth it her baby was home now!

Spike eased his sleeping wife down on the couch so she would be more comfortable, he covered her with a small afghan. Kissing her gently on the forehead, he walked over to the cradle and checked on Jacie. Going back to the couch he sat down and grabbed the remote, with the tv on low volume he sat back and smiled to himself - both of his girls were well and content.

One hour later

The baby started to cry - loudly. Spike didn't realize something that tiny could make that much noise. He picked her up quickly so she wouldn't wake Buffy. He cautiously stuck a finger in the edge of the diaper, she wasn't wet. He put her on his shoulder and started walking her back and forth, grabbing a blanket he opened the terrace door and went outside, it was a warm night, the babies cries were slowing now. Spike sat down in the glider and positioned her where he could look down at her little face, she was staring up at him trying to focus on his face. She had stopped crying now and he could have sworn she was smiling at him, he began to softly sing, someone had given Buffy a tape of childrens songs and he had listened to it one day while she was at school.

"Baby beluga in the deep blue sea,
You swim so wild and you swim so free"

It wasn't your ordinary lullaby, but she seemed to like it. Spike continued to sing, not noticing Buffy walking out on the patio smiling broadly.

"Heaven above you and the sea below"

"Where did you learn that?" Buffy said softly sitting down in the glider beside him.

"That tape what's her name gave you." He whispered back. Looking down at the now sleeping baby he added "She's beautiful, you know?"

"I know." Buffy agreed lying her head on Spikes shoulder. "Teach me the song?"

"Okay" he told her with a smile.

And the stars shined brightly in the sky and the moon reflected on the mighty Mississippi, and a warm breeze blew. To anyone in Memphis the couple on the terrace with the baby looked like an ordinary brand new family - little did they know!

 

The End

 

<< back