"Patchwork Quilts And Lemonade"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


It was a glorious June night. The sky was cloudless and stars twinkled above the wedding party. The patio of the Sunnydale Country Club was decorated in peach and white. An arch of irridescent balloons loomed over the serving table where the glowing bride and her handsome groom stood cutting the many tiered cake.

Spike stood watching as Dawn fed her husband a piece of wedding cake. He caught her eye and smiled brightly at her. A couple of hours ago inside the Banquet room he had walked Dawn down the aisle to meet her husband. Kevin was a good man and he made Dawn happy and he loved her with his whole being. Spike knew the look of a man totally in love and Kevin wore it. But then who wouldn't love Dawn Summers? She was too much like her big sister - you couldn't help but love her. Spike had played the biggest role in raising Dawn after Buffy died. Giles had left for England unable to cope with Buffy's death until several years after the fact.

Xander and Anya married and started a family. Willow and Tara had their own lives too. They all pitched in and helped as they could. It had been easy to convince Hank to give guardianship to Spike, who had become Buffy's "fiancee' " after her death and wanted to take care of her sister. Hank was just happy to be off the hook and occasionally called or sent money for her care.

Giles had come for the wedding - he seemed like his old self as the reunited Scooby Gang discussed past adventures and the memories of the one who was no longer there. Buffy's death had been a turning point for all of them in one way or another.

Spike danced a final dance with Dawn before Willow whisked her off to help her change into her going away suit. She looked so grown up, so happy. She kissed him on the cheek before she climbed into the car with Kevin. She shook her head at the shaving cream and ribbons that decorated the car she waved at him until they were out of sight.

Goodbyes were said amongst the old friends. When they were all gone back to their homes and hotel rooms Spike drove to the cemetary with the top down. He stopped the car and sat for a moment enjoying the light summer breeze and the smell of the honeysuckle that grew on the cemetary fence. Sighing he got out of the car and reached into the back seat grabbing a thermos and an old patchwork quilt.

He walked at a leisurely place to the grave he knew so well. He adjusted the quilt in his arm remembering how Dawn had told him that Buffy loved picnics. She told him about the picnics she remembered from her youth, they would always take an old patchwork quilt that her great grandmother had made years and years ago spreading it out on the ground they would have a refreshing cold drink. The drink of choice at these picnics was always lemonade. He smiled as he ran a gentle hand across the head stone and reread the simple epitaph once more before spreading the multicolored quilt on top of the grave and sitting down on it. He looked up into the heavens and spoke out loud, "Guess you wonder what I'm doing here luv," he nodded at the thermos as he screwed off the top and poured the liquid into the cup. Lifting the cup up in a toast, "To Dawn and Kevin." He took a sip of the lemonade and frowned, he'd forgotten the sugar. Just like she had all those years ago - the night they fought in the hallway of Sunnydale High School.

He sat down the thermos and lay on his back looking up into the endless sky. "Niblet got married tonight. He's a good man that Kevin is." His voice changed now, a touch of pain evident as he spoke," I did what you asked, Buffy. I've watched over her. But I'm tired now, I love her as my own daughter but she has someone else who will care for her now. And it's just too hard to go on now, my purpose is really gone now, and you're gone. So I'm going to just lay here on this quilt and drink this horrendous lemonade until the sun comes up." He ran his finger over her name one last time as he lay down and closed his eyes.

The pink and gold of the sunrise appeared on the horizon the first beginnings of light waking the sleeping vampire. He opened his eyes to see the sun rising, he smiled and closed them again as he felt the rays touch him and it was over...


The first thing Spike noticed was that it didn't hurt! He should have gone up in flames but as he opened his eyes, the sun stung them and he felt it's warmth on his skin but he wasn't dust. Why? He sat up then and turned to examine his surroundings, he was still on the patchwork quilt and the empty thermos of lemonade lay beside him. The only difference was that he appeared to be in a field, it was a glorious summer day. The sun shining as the early morning dew still clung to the yellow black- eyed susans that seem to be growing everywhere, delicate white stalks fo queen anne's lace were mixed in with the bright yellow.

"What the... ?" He asked out loud as he stood up to get a better look.

"You're here." A soft voice called from behind him.

"Yes, I'm bloody here. Where is here?" He spun around to see who was speaking.

"Its a part of heaven, where it's always summer and the quilt is always spread out and there is an endless supply of lemonade." The blond smiled sweetly at him.

"Buffy?" He gulped out the name.

"Yes, it's me. They told me you would come that in your heart before you were turned you were a good man, a believer. And that your sacrifices for me and my sister would be rewarded." She esplained with a soft smile and a small hand touching his cheek.

"I can't believe it." He closed his eyes, shook his head and reopened them. It wasn't a dream, she was still there in front of him soft hand on his cheek.

"Believe it." She told him as he lay his hand over hers removing it from his face and giving it a squeeze.

"I never thought... I didn't think... I thought that it wouldn't matter about what I was like before... I thought I could never make up for what I had done after." He shook his head with disbelief.

"I'm sorry I didn't stay longer with Dawn. I didn't leave her alone though. She's well taken care of." He started to explain as she pulled him down with her to sit on the quilt.

"I know... I've seen she and Kevin together. And I understand you're being tired, Spike. I think I can understand that better then anybody."

"I guess you can at that, Slay... Buffy." He smiled at her as he brought a hand up to her hair and took several strands in his hand letting the silky tresses fall through his fingers. "I missed you, Buffy. Everyday I missed you."

"I know you did and I'm sorry for that. But now... now we won't ever be apart again." She lifted her face to his and he softly brought his lips to brush against hers.

He pulled her into a fierce hug. "I love you, Buffy Summers."

She felt the tears running down her face as she was finally able to tell him how she felt, "I love you, too."

"What do we do now?" He asked against her lips as she softly kissed him again.

"We have a picnic, Spike! Please pass the lemonade." Their soft laughter filled the field they sat in.

Dawn turned to Kevin as she up from breakfast on the terrace of their hotel room. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what, Sweetie?" He asked as he took her hand.

"It sounded like laughter."

"It was probably just the wind." Kevin told her as she sat down on his lap.

"Maybe." She replied, the laughter had sounded so familiar that it made her smile.

The End

 

<< back