"Paternal Instincts"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


Spike watched as she tried to put the cradle together. He had to laugh, this was the Slayer who at seven months pregnant could still stake a vampire in 2 seconds flat, and she kept repeating to herself , "lefty loosey, rightie tightie" as she put the screws into the cradle. He didn't laugh out loud though, because her moods swung easily now and he was afraid she's use one of the bars from the cradle as a stake.

He'd offered to help and she had declined, she wanted to do it herself. So he sat back and thought about the last four months and the strange events that had led them to this little house in the middle of nowhere. Giles had chosen a small town in Tennessee as the pregnant Slayer's refuge.

To make a long story short, after the Faith incident, the Scooby Gang waged an all out war on the monster Adam, sadly Riley did not survive the war, shortly after his death, Buffy found out she was pregnant. Giles afraid that a pregnant Slayer would be very vulnerable Slayer decided Buffy should take off for the remaining pregnancy and the first few months after the baby was born. He had made all of the arrangements, but he needed one thing, he needed someone to go with Buffy and look after her.

When Giles had come to Spike with the idea of his being the person to go with Buffy, he'd told him where to stuff it. He reminded him that he hated the Slayer and all of her little friends, too. But Giles had made him an offer he couldn't refuse, he'd take care of Buffy and Giles would help him find Drusilla and Willow would try to find a faithful spell to cast on her. Spike had been alone too long and the infernal chip in his head had made his existence almost unbearable. And Giles was funding the whole trip, free smokes and cable tv. So he'd agreed to do it. Of course getting Buffy to agree had been even harder, but she'd finally given in when Giles convinced her it was what was best for the baby.

The first week they spent together seemed like an eternity, to say they got on each others last nerve was an understatement. The way he left his cigarette butts all over the house, right down to the way she chewed her food were strong areas of contention.

Buffy had her first bout of morning sickness the second week they were in Tennessee. Spike woke to hear violent retching in the bathroom. He peeked around the corner to see her on her knees in front of the toilet, he walked back to his room and sat on the edge of the bed. Should he check on her? Nah, babysitting when she threw up wasn't part of the deal, besides he hated the Slayer.

He heard her walk to the living room and flop down on the couch. Cautiously he entered the room, she looked a bit pale, if something happened to her, Giles would never help him find Dru. "Are you okay, Pet?" He asked cautiously.

"I'm okay, this is just part of it, I guess." She told him softly, placing a protective hand on her tummy. " You can go back to whatever you were doing."

"Not doing anything. What are you doing today?" He asked her nonchalantly.

"I'm going to find a job. I'm going to go crazy just sitting here all day." She told him as she rose from the couch. "I'm going to shower. I'll be home later."

She'd come home with a watress job, she started the next day. She and Spike had a great cover story, they were married, their first baby. He'd been hurt in an accident and had recieved a pension from his employer, Buffy was just working for extra money.

When she'd been working for a couple of weeks she came home one evening and told Spike he was going to have to come into the diner and have a meal. Her boss thought it was suspicious he never came and checked on his pregnant wife.

"And what am I going to eat?" He asked her grinning.

"A rare steak?" She quipped.

He agreed and now he went every tuesday night and everyone at the diner knew him as Billy, Buffy's husband. He made jokes with the other waitresses and the old men that were regulars. And somewhere down the line he had come to look forward to those Tuesday nights.

He was hoping that Buffy would quit the diner soon though, because she was getting tired more easily now and it probably wasn't good for her to be on her feet. Not that he really cared, but Giles would come down hard on him if something happened to her.

Spike was brought back to the present by the sound of a wrench being thrown across the room. He looked up to see an angry Slayer, sighing at the still unassembled cradle. She looked like she might cry as she lifted her heavy body from the floor and stomped down the hallway to her room.

Spike heard the bedroom door slam, he sat down in the floor with the directions and the flying wrench and within an hour the cradle was together. He walked down the hallway and slowly opened Buffy's door she appeared to be sleeping, he stepped into the room and pulled the covers up over her.


"Spike."

He awoke to the sound of his name. Buffy was calling for him, he scrambled from his bed and ran to her. She was standing in front of the cradle, smiling broadly. "Did you do this?" She asked happily.

"Yeah. I didn't have anything better to do." He replied trying to sound irritated.

Buffy didn't notice the fake irritation, she was too busy running her hand over the cradle rails and smiling to herself. Spike had to smile inspite of himself, as he intently watched Buffy's tummy ripple as the baby moved inside of her and she inspected the cradle.

"Thank you and he or she thanks you too." She grinned.

"Uh, your welcome... both of you." Spike replied he reached a tenative hand towards her rippling tummy, then as if thinking better of it he quickly withdrew his hand.

Buffy frowned at him slightly, then she took his hand in her own and placed it on her tummy. She was rewarded wtih a powerful kick. Spike jumped back slightly at the sensation, "He or she really is the Slayer's child with that kick."

Buffy laughed out loud, "I wish he or she didn't keep Slayer's hours, then maybe I could get some sleep."

He joined in her laughter as they both sat on the couch. At that moment something changed, Spike could no longer say he hated the Slayer. In fact he liked her, he liked her alot.

Buffy turned to look at Spike and began to speak hesitantly, "You know today is my doctors appointment, I have an ultrasound, it's a late appointment, you could come. The doctor has wondered why you haven't come with me, so it would help with appearances. But I understand if you don't want too."

He saw the sadness in her eyes, he considered that she had not really had anyone to share her pregnancy with. She was basically alone except for one of her although harmless, mortal enemies. "Sure, I'll come, wouldn't want the doctor to think that your husband didn't care." He was rewarded with a big smile.

Buffy fixed herself some breakfast and instructed Spike on where to put the cradle, it went in the corner of her room, she filled it with some gifts her mother had Giles send her, teddy bears and bibs and tiny sleepers and gowns of neutral colors.

The day passed lazily, Buffy cut some flowers from the small garden and arranged them in a vase and she picked up the baby bib she was trying to cross stitch, but she didn't really have much patience for the handwork.

She showered and got ready for her appointment. Spike drove her to the office and even took her hand as they walked in, when she had looked at him he had whispered "Appearances." She had nodded and clasped his hand.

The nurse led them to the ultrasound room, she pulled up Buffy's top, "Cold and wet" she said as she placed a dollop of gel on her tummy.

The doctor came in introduced himself to Spike and picked up the wand he moved it slowly over Buffy's tummy. "Ah, there... well do you want to know the sex of the baby?"

Buffy looked at Spike, he shrugged his shoulders, "It's up to you, sweetheart."

"Yes, I would like to know." Buffy replied.

"Boy, you've got a little boy." The doctor answered and he's going to be a big healthy boy it looks like. See his little hands and a nice strong heartbeat."

He wiiped the gel off of her tummy and pulled her shirt down. "I would say he's going to arrive in 6 to 8 weeks. You need to make an appointment for two weeks from now." He told her as he left the rooms

Spike opened the car door for Buffy and helped her in. She was very quiet. "You okay?" He asked her as he started the car.

"Fine, it's just that it's a boy, Riley would have been so happy." She said softly, her eyes misting slightly.

"Yeah, he would have." Spike agreed not knowing what else he could say.

"Yeah."

"So are you hungry? Want some dinner? I'll treat you and it doesn't have to be the diner." He offered with a grin.

"That would be nice, I am hungry and so is he" She smiled as the baby moved under her top.

He pulled the car into the lot of a nice restaurant, opened the door for Buffy and helped her out of' the car. With one hand protectively on the small of her back they walked into the restaurant. The waitress seated them and brought menus.

It was a fairly quiet meal, Buffy seemed preoccupied, and Spike didn't know what to do to make it better. He really wasn't sure why he wanted to make it better, oh yeah Giles. Right, it's just because of Giles he kept telling himself. If he kept it up he might even convince himself .

The drive home was somewhat better, Spike had stopped and picked up a half gallon of mint chocoate chip ice cream. He had settled Buffy on the couch and brought in two bowls, she was smiling now and talking about buying baby clothes, baby boy clothes.

"What are you going to name the little guy?" He asked her as he dipped into his ice cream.

"I don't know yet, I can't decide on a name. I suppose I should name him after Riley." A brief look of sadness came over her.

"Well maybe but how about just giving him a name that's all his, I think that's best." Spike said with a smile.

"Maybe, I don't know yet. I'm going to bed. Thanks Spike, for everything.." She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and he stood to help her up from the couch.

He watched her pad down the hallway to her room, marveling at her strength, the fact that she wasn't an emotional mess amazed him. The fact that she wouldn't let anyone let Angel know about the baby amazed him even more. He knew she still cared for Angel despite her relationship with Riley. He pulled the afghan off the back of the couch and settled down for the night.

A couple of hours later he was woke up by a loud clap of thunder and serious lightning making the whole room glow eerily. It wasn't long until he heard Buffy coming down the hallway. "Spike." She called loudly.

He jumped up to meet her "What is it, Slayer?"

"It's really storming out there, the lightning is kind of scary. Can I sit with you for a little while?" She asked almost shyly.

He sat back down on the couch and patted the cushion beside him. She sat down and pulled part of the afghan over he legs. "You're scared of storms? You who can kick a demon till kingdom comes." He grinned at her as he tucked the afghan around her.

"Just the lightning, it's just spooky." She grinned back at him. Her tummy was rippling again under her nightgown.

Spike smiled and watched the movement, "Can I?" He asked.

She shook her head yes and placed his hand on her tummy, "Can you feel his foot? Sometimes it feels like its stuck in my ribcage."

"I can feel it." Spike told her amazement in his voice.

"I guess I should try to go back to sleep, I'm working tomorrow." She said as another bolt of lightning lit up the room, she shrank back into the couch and Spike cautiously put an arm around her and held her tightly until she fell asleep.


The phone rang and Spike rushed to get it, Buffy had gone to work and he was spending the evening alone.

"Hello." He spoke into the phone.

"Yes, I'll be right there." Spike drove quickly to the diner. He found Buffy surrounded by the cook and two waitresses, she had fainted in the diner.

"Is she okay?" He asked as he rushed to pick her up.

"I'm fine, Billy. I just got a little lightheaded." Buffy explained as she put her arms around his neck. "Just take me home."

"We're going to the hospital first then home, and by the way" He said looking at the owner of the diner, "I'm giving her notice, she won't be coming back to work. I'm sorry."

"Sp...Billy, I don't think that's necessary." Buffy feebly argued.

The owner laughed "Listen to your man there Buffy, you don't need to be working till after the baby. It's okay."

Spike insisted that she go to the ER where the doctor told him that her blood pressure was a bit low, it happens to pregnant women at times she and the baby were fine. He took her home and put her to bed, sitting with her and reading parenting books aloud until she fell asleep.


The weeks passed in a busy blur. They shopped for the baby and went to doctors appointments, ate popcorn and watched movies together.

Giles showed up the week the baby was due. He had to laugh at the sight of his pregnant slayer. Buffy cooked dinner and they started discussing the future. "Spike, if you wish to leave in the next few days it's okay. I have an address on Druscilla and Willow has found several spells that she thinks could help."

Spike looked up with a start at Giles words, "Leave before the baby is born? How would that look?"

"Well you were going to leave anyway. And since when do you care about how anything looks. I thought you'd be ecstatic to get out of here and back to Dru."

Buffy looked at Spike then at Giles. "He's right, what will people say if he's not here when the baby comes?"

Giles looked at them both curiously. "Well if he want's to stay that's fine, too. I've been preparing for the childbirth, I want to be there for you, I know you'll want someone with you at the delivery." He told her waiting for a reaction.

Buffy looked at Spike chewing on her bottom lip anxiously. "Umm, that's nice, Giles."

Spike noticed Buffy's anxiety. "Giles, I'm the supposed husband, so I'm going in with her." He nodded at Buffy who shook her head and smiled a relieved smile.

"Yes, he's going in with me. Everyone will expect it." She agreed.

"Ah, well if that's how the two of you want it." Giles sighed as he smiled to himself, he didn't know if they realized what was happening but he did. And it didn't bother him nearly as much as it should have.

Three nights later after a light dinner, Buffy proclaimed it was time to go to the hospital. She had been haveing pains all through the day and they were finally regular and her mood had gone from bad to worse. Buffy told Giles to stay at the house, they'd call when the baby arrived and he could call everyone from there it would be more comfortable for him. He decided not to argue with her.


The birthing room was painted in pastels, a lovely floral border around the room. Buffy was lying on the bed, her knees up, a slick sheen of sweat on her forehead. She was panting and trying to refrain from killing the nurse who kept watching the monitor and telling her that a tough one was coming. She knew a tough one was coming she could feel it coming.

After several hours of intense labor and squeezing Spike's hand so hard he thought it would break in two, the Doctor pronounced "One more big push"

Buffy took a deep breath and pushed with all of her might. A sharp cry filled the room, as a new life made his entrance into the world. The nurse took the baby to the corner of the room, she cleaned him up and took his apgar scores. The wrapped him and lie him on his mothers chest. Buffy grinned down at the squalling bundle on her chest, Spike was in awe. "Come on over her, Daddy, have a look at your son." The doctor told him patting him on the back.

Spike looked at Buffy, "Come on over here, silly." She said tiredly.

He hesitantly walked over to her and peeked in the blanket at the baby. "He's beautiful." He said emotionally.

"Most beautiful baby in the world." Buffy agreed with him.

"He looks like his Mom" The nurse said as she took the baby from Buffy "I'll go weigh him and bring him back to you soon."

The doctor stitched Buffy up and left her alone with Spike. Spike thought he had never seen anyone so lovely in his entire life. She absolutely glowed with happiness and excitement. "Thank you so much for being here for me and Joshua"

"Joshua, you decided on a name, I like it." He told her as he pushed damp hair from her face, "You did good, you know, and not just the delivery the whole pregnancy."

"Thanks again. I guess you can leave now. You saw this through all the way." Buffy said softly.

"Guess so." He turned to leave the room, "I'll call Giles and go home and pack."

"Okay, um...thanks again." Buffy said in an almost whisper behind him.

He stopped , was that a small sob in her voice, could she possibly want him to stay. No, she hated him, she couldn't possibly want him too stay. He took another step ,then even his sensitive ears barely heard it, one word spoken feather light, his name. He turned around, her eyes were moist now, "Spike." she repeated.

"Yes"

"Stay?" She asked almost fearfully.

He ran back to the bedside "Of course, Pet. I thought you'd never ask." And then he bent over and kissed her soundly. They both giggled as he pulled her into a hug.


Spike and Giles arrived at the hospital to take Buffy home. Joyce had arrived and was waiting at their house for them. Giles took Buffy's bag and flowers out to the car ahead of them.

"I've got something for you." She told him as she finished putting her shoes on and Spike stood over the baby's isolette cooing at him.

"For me?" He asked curiiously.

"I found it in the gift shop, it's silly but I thought you might like it." She told him as she handed him the gift bag.

He pulled out the mug and wasn't sure if he should laugh or cry at the inscription.

"Any man can be a father, it takes a special man to be a daddy."

Spike gathered up his family and took them home.

The End

 

<< back