"Prolific"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


I put the little canopy bed together last night. Buffy put the little ruffled pink spread on it and I helped with the matching canopy. It looks perfect just like our little Kristen. She is the youngest of our girls, the baby she turns two today. I notice that Buffy keeps glancing at the white crib in the corner of the room. I'm going to take it down today after the birthday party and store it. It's gotten alot of use the past eight years and I don't think we've ever actually taken it apart since it was put together the first time.

Lets just say that since our marriage ten years ago we have been quite prolific. We have four girls, Nicole, Pamela, Chelle and Kristen. I think we would have liked a boy but we have four healthy, happy girls and thats enough. The way that Buffy keeps glancing at that crib makes me think she is going to miss it. I am too. But Kristen declared she was a big girl now and ready for her own bed.

I pull Buffy into a hug and kiss the top of her head. Motherhood has done nothing but make her more beautiful in my eyes. Buffy round with pregnancy, Buffy nursing a baby all these things just make her the most beautiful woman in the world to me. With our baby turning two, Buffy has decided to work part time for Giles. She is going to put two year old Kristen and four year old Chelle in daycare twice a week. I think it will be good for them and for her.

We go downstairs to round up four little girls. Eight year old Nicole has them lined up on the couch watching cartoons. Six year old Pamela tries to put Kristen's shoes on again for the tenth time this morning. "You want to look pretty for the party, don't you?" She tell her as she fastens the small white patent shoes on her sisters feet.

My girls are beautiful. Today they are decked out in their finest and I realize I should buy stock in hair bows and frilly dresses. Two brunettes and two blondes and every one with hazel eyes.

We get the final decorations ready and guests begin to arrive. Soon the house is alive with the sounds of chattering adults and excited children. After the cake and ice cream is served and the younger kids are playing with the new toys, the older are listening to Grandpa Giles tell an exciting tale.

I hear Willow ask Buffy, "So, you are going to work for Giles now that you have Kris potty trained?"

"Yeah." Buffy tells her as she rolls up the paper tablecloth and puts it in the trash. She just doesn't seem as excited about it as she was a few weeks ago when she made the decision. She looks tired and I have a nagging fear that she's not telling me something. I'll talk to her tonight.

We wave goodbye to the guests and leave our girls lounged all over the living room, Pamela is watching tv and Chelle is playing with a dark curl as she almost falls asleep on the floor beside her.. Nicole has a book and little Kristen has fallen asleep on the sofa. She is all tuckered out from her big day.

With the excitement over, it's time to go take down that crib. I walk into the bedroom and find Buffy already there, she is running her hand over the railing of the crib. I guess this no baby thing is really affecting her. "You okay, sweetheart?" I ask as I pick up a screwdriver.

"You don't need that." She looks at the tool in my hand.

"Hmmm, Buffy I really need to take down the crib and store it." I say gently.

"No, you really, really don't." She gives me a hesitant smile.

"Why?"

Her eyes are tearing up as she places her hand across her tummy. I take in the implication of her gesture and it falls into place, the mood, the tiredness. "You mean... ?" I let the question hang.

She nods her head, "Are you upset? I mean I know we were just getting done with the baby thing."

I lay down the screwdriver, "Upset? I'm just surprised, but it's a happy surprise."

"Are you sure?" She asks as tears threaten to spill.

"Oh, baby. I am so sure, I can't think of anything sweeter then having another child with you." I pull her close to me and smooth her hair.

"You mean it?"

"Yes, I do. But I have a question?" I ask her as I kiss her forehead.

She's smiling now, "What?"

"What are we going to name *her*?" We both burst into giggles then.

Later after we've tucked every one of the girls into their beds and turned on each nightlight, we make our way to our room. Buffy yawns as she changes into her nightgown, I notice it then, the glow - she's already glowing like she always does when she is pregnant. I slide under the covers beside her, she sighs sweetly as she snuggles up against me. Soon she is sleeping soundly, I place my hand on the almost imperceptible swell of her belly. I know the life that is protected within her is a part of me and I grin at the thought.

Prolific can be good.

 

The End

 

<< back