"Snowbound"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


Spike looked out of the hotel room and grimaced, it was still snowing. It had been snowing for two days now. And he was stuck in ths small although picturesque town of Hot Springs. The only consolation was that the Slayer was stuck in the room next door.

Giles had sent them here to investigate a demon rising that was prophesied, but after they arrived he found that he had made a mistake the prophesy wasn't to happen for another 5 years.

The snow had started not long after they arrived, very freak storm. The locals kept saying that it just didn't snow here. Well he begged to differ but there was an awful lot of the white stuff out there now. And the city seemed to have frozen, a rare SUV made it's way up the road every now and then.

They were staying at the Arlington a rather old majestic looking hotel in the center of downtown. From Spikes third story window he could see the snow covered Arlington Park across the street. A few adventurous children throwing snowballs at each other. Even he had to admit the promenade that ran behind Bathhouse Row looked pretty with the snowcovered trees along it's path. The steam from the natural hot springs rose through the trees.

He was bored, bored senseless, what was he going to do for the next few days? If and when Buffy ever bothered to check on him, she was going to find him sitting bleary eyed in front of the small tv, a shell of his former self. She invaded his every thought now and it was driving him crazy, the snow wasn't helping his mood.

He went back to the window and gazed out again. There was a small knock at the door that separated he and Buffy's room. He opened the door and almost laughed, Buffy was bundled up from head to toe, her nose red from the cold. "I went shopping at the galleria on the bottom floor and got some wintery clothes" She smiled broadly, black earmuffs covered her ears she had a woolen scarf to match.

"Where did you get the money?" He asked suspiciously.

"Giles gave me his credit card." She smiled again as she handed a small bag to him. "This is for you."

"For me?" He eyed the bag as if a demon was going to jump out.

"Yep, it's cold out and I wanted you to go out with me and i thought you could wear this with you duster." She explained.

"You want me to go out with you?" His heart warmed a little as he pulled a black woolen scarf that matched hers from the bag.

"I'm going nuts in that room, you are the only one I know here. So lets take a walk it's turned dark. Please, I don't want to go alone. But it's very cold so wrap up."

"What's in it for me?" He asked with a mock scowl even as he put on his duster and wrapped the scarf around his neck.

"I promise to not announce that former big bad vampire did something nice with no personal gain." She grinned impishly at him.

He followed her out the door and into the elevator, he noticed how cute she looked all bundled up, even those ridiculous ear muffs looked good on her. When did he start noticing how cute she was? Probably around the same time he decided to quit fighting her and joined the cause, fighting with her gave him a whole different perspective then fighting against her. Even as her enemy he'd know she was a good fighter, she was like a dancer her moves fluid and deadly. But fighting on her side allowed him to see the loyalty she held for those who helped her, the willingness to fight to the death for them. She'd even rescued him a couple of times. Had he thanked her for that? He made a mental note to do that.

Buffy looked up to see Spike staring at her, not his usual "Leave me alone" stare but something different. He was also smiling to himself. She gave him a small smile back as the elevator came to the lobby. They exited the elevator and went out the large front glass doors, the air was brisk and the sidewalk covered in snow, footprints imprinted in it, some partially filled by new snow.

"Where to?" He asked her as the fine snow fell into his hair and tickled his nose.

"The park across the street, it leads to the Promenade behind the bath houses and there is a hot spring back there too." She said enthusiastically.

They crossed the street easily, not many people wanted to drive in the snow. They found the steps that led to the promenade and began walking down the walkway towards the springs. They could see the steam rising from the small spring before they reached it.

Buffy rushed to the steps that led to the spring, "Slow down, be careful." Spike called to her trying to sound annoyed not concerned. Well, Giles would hold him responsible if anything happened to her and he didn't want to deal with that.

She turned to him and frowned as she descended the three steps carefully to reach the warm water. Carefully taking off her glove she put her index finger in the water, "Oh, it is warm. Try it Spike.

"I don't want to bloody put my hand in that water." He grumbled as he knelt beside her at the side of the spring.

"Oh, go ahead don't be so grumpy."

He put one finger into the water, "It is warm, pet. But you aren't, your face is all red from the cold. I don't think we should stay out long. We'll go back to the hotel and get you some dinner."

He stood and offered her his hand, she took it and he helped her up. She stared at the water a moment more. Letting go of her hand Spike started up the steps back to the promenade. Buffy started up behind him, but her foot found a patch of ice and she tripped falling backwards down the steps with a thump and small cry. Spike turned around quickly to find her lying on her back on the cold ground. He rushed back down the steps, kneeling beside her not hiding his concern this time he asked "Are you okay?"

Buffy sat up and shrugged her shoulders "I think so." He put his arm around her waist and gently helped her to stand. Buffy let out a small yelp of pain.

"What? What's wrong?" He asked anxiously his concern showing.

"My ankle, I twisted it I guess." She explained as she tried to put her weight on it. Spike had sounded really concerned none of his sarcasm, could he really care, should she get her hopes up?

"That's no good, Pet." He told her as he picked her up and proceeded to carry her up the steps.

"I think I can walk, Spike." Buffy told him as he carried her down the promenade back to the hotel,although she had to admit she was enjoying being in his arms.

"You don't need to put you weight on it. We'll get a bandage and wrap it and we'll order room service for dinner. With your healing abilities it will be okay soon." He assured her as he carried her through the doors to the hotel, he carried her to the front desk. Several of the hotel guests commented on what a striking couple the two blonds were. Buffy blushed slightly at the attention they were getting, she in Spikes arms as he griped at the desk clerk about the bandage.

Spike didn't seem to notice, "Right then room 314."

Buffy said "Thank you" to the clerk in a soft voice.

Spike carried her into the elevator and pressed the button for their floor. He carried her into his room and placed her gently on the bed. There was a knock at the door and he went to answer it bringing back the bandage.

Buffy watched him intently, he was being nice, why was he being nice? He had done nothing but complain about this trip every since Giles had set it up and then when he'd ound out it was a wild goose chase he'd been livid, and then the snow had come. Spike had just been rather put out over the whole thing. And here he was gently taking off her boot and bandaging her ankle.

Spike tried to focus on Buffy's ankle and avoid her face. She was looking at him oddly, as if trying to figure out what he was thinking. Good luck to her, because he sure as hell didn't know what he was thinking at this point either. He only knew that she was hurt and his mission in life was to help her, and he was beginning to sound like Angel. What was happening to him? He knew the answer to that question, but didn't want to think about it, the small pretty blond in front of him had happened to him, she'd changed his entire unlife.

Buffy cleared her throat a little forcing Spike to look at her. "What's wrong with you? Why are you being so nice to me?" She asked suspiciously.

"Nothing's wrong with me." he snapped at her. When he noticed the slight hurt look on her face he added "Giles will kill me if you're hurt. Looking out for myself here." He finished wrapping her ankle and put the clips on the bandage.

"How's that?" he asked surveying his handiwork.

"It's fine, thank you. But something is different Spike. Please tell me?" She asked him her hazel eyes staring into his.

"If I tell you will you just run back to Red with a 'You won't believe this' story and have a good laugh?" He asked seriously.

Buffy sat up against the headboard biting her bottom lip nervously, whatever he had to say must be important. "No, I wouldn't do that. What's wrong?"

"Slayer, we've been working together for 6 mohths now. And I think we could say we have a kind of friendship, wouldn't you?"

"A kind of friendship? Well, yes I guess we do. Why?"

"Well, lately I've been having unfriendship feelings and they scare me." He confessed softly.

Misunderstanding what he meant Buffy spoke "Oh, do you think that whatever the Iniative did is wearing off, do you think you are going to be able to attack humans again?"

"No, it's not that!" He said sharply.

"I'm sorry, you said unfriendly feelings - so I thought... " Her words trailed off as Spike bent forward and covered her lips with his. She didn't pull away she was in too much shock. She remembered this feeling from Willow's spell, it might have been a spell but the kisses had still been sweet. Suddenly Spike pulled back ending the kiss.

"I meant that I didn't have thoughts of you as a friend anymore, that I just want to kiss you when I see you now. And I don't bloody well know how it happened." He moved to sit down next to her on the bed, leaning his head against the headboard, he closed his eyes.

Buffy giggled slightly "You should have said you had 'more then friendly' thoughts"

"It doesn't matter how I said it, you're missing the point here." He raised his eyebrows at her.

"What is the point? You have feelings for me, we work together it's natural." She said calmly. "If you push those feelings down, I'm sure in no time you'll hate me again." She giggled softly again "Unless of course, you would be interested in exploring those said feelings."

He looked at her then, was she serious? "Exploring my feelings? That sounds interesting." He searched her eyes for some hint that she was teasing, he couldn't find one. She just simply looked beautiful lying on the bed next to, she'd shed her jacket and earmuffs, and was dressed in a simple turtle neck sweater and bluejeans.

"So, when do you want to start?" She asked him smiling brightly, "I mean we are kind of trapped in this hotel room, any ideas how to keep ourselves amused?"

"A couple. But first, I need to know, why? Why aren't you running as fast as you can away from me?"

Buffy sighed deeply, "Because every since that stupid spell, I've not been able to get you out of my head, you annoy me and poke fun at me and everything I believe in and you argue about everything, but when I've needed you, you've been there, you haven't backed down, and despite everything I trust you, I trust you with my life."

"I trust you too, in battle. But with my heart is a different matter. Look how long Dru and I were together and she... " He said in almost a whisper.

Buffy lay one hand on his cheek "I'm not Dru." She said softly and then she placed a light kiss on his lips.

"No, you're not. And I'm not Angel."

"I know that." She replied as she traced a random pattern on his hand with her index finger.

"I just wanted to make sure."

"I know who you are."

He pulled her close to him being careful of her ankle and kissed her long, and hard and deep. She eagerly returned the kiss, small hands running up and down his chest, pausing to unbutton his shirt. One hand reached inside making circles on his cool stomach. He sighed and kissed her again and again and again.

What seemed like hours later, they awoke in each others arms, smiling, curled up under the covers, warm safe from the snow. He placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. He whispered one word "Regrets?"

She laughed softly "Not a one." She snuggled even closer to him. "In fact I think I have a new appreciation for snow."

"But you complained about being cold." He teased her.

"Ah, but I've found the perfect way to keep warm." She sighed as she rolled on top of him and plundered his mouth with hers.

The End

 

<< back