"Tragedy - Buffy/Riley Ending"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com
Notes: "Never Saw Blue Like That" belongs to Shawn Colvin.


Cause I never saw blue like that before,
across the sky, around the world
Your giving me all you have and more
and no one else has ever shown me
how to see the world the way I see it now.
And it feels like now, and it feels like always,
and it feels like coming home."

Buffy woke to the sound of birds outside the window. She sat up and looked around the room adjusting to her surroundings. Then the memory of why she was here hit her. She sighed as she got out of the bed, hesitant to leave the bed that Riley had once slept in.

She put her robe on and went downstairs. Rachel, Randall and Graham were waiting for her. She graciously declined breakfast. She felt sick and she felt guilt. She wanted to confess to these wonderful people who had raised Riley, she wanted to tell them that she had let him down. She wanted to say it was her fault that they had lost their son, he had left on that mission because of her.

But she bit back the words and did manage a cup of coffee. Graham smiled at her worriedly as if he could read her mind. She's blaming herself, Riley would not want that.

They each excused themselves to dress for the service. Buffy sat in the living room looking beautiful in her plain black dress, her grief shown on her face and in each quiet action. Graham joined her when he was dressed. "Buffy, don't blame yourself. This is not your fault."

"It's not? I find that hard to believe! I couldn't tell him I loved him until he was dead! I sent him to his death." Buffy's voice raised slighty then she lowered it so the others would not hear her.

"You and Riley belonged together. No matter what. You had rough spots but that means you were both human. You both made mistakes." Graham held her in a tight hug.


The Finn's insisted that Buffy and Graham ride with them in the family car to the funeral. Buffy rode silently beside Graham. She was not sure she was going to make it through this. She could not even meet Rachel Finn's eyes as she patted Buffy's hand. Buffy felt even more guilt, Riley's mother was trying to comfort her, when she was grieving so deeply for her son.

The service was a blur for Buffy. And then it was time to view the body. She slowly walked to the casket, Riley's handsome face staring unseeing at her. She whispered I love you. Tears ran down her face and splashed on to his.

Without warning Riley Finn sat up in the casket, "I know you do. I know you love me, Buffy." He said gently.

Buffy screamed - no one else seemed to notice that Riley was alive. In fact the only other person left in the church was Graham. He walked towards her, a shadow of himself his image fading in and out as he got closer to her.

"It's okay, Buffy. I told you - you two are meant for each other, never doubt that." Graham smiled at her and nodded at Riley and then he dissappeared.

"Riley?" She called out and then everything went dark.


Buffy opened her eyes and stared into the room. White walls, she was in a hospital bed? What had happened? Riley sat in the chair by the bed.

"You're awake. Thank God, you're awake! I could not take losing another person I love." He shouted as he stood pulled her close to him. "Let me call the doctor."

"No, wait. Riley what happened, you left with the army, you died! Graham and I went to Iowa we went to your funeral. And I felt like it was my fault." Tears ran down Buffy's face. "But Graham said we were meant to be, he said never doubt it."

"You can't know that I was leaving Buffy, I hadn't had a chance to tell you. When you left me at that vampire nest the vamp in charge knocked you out. Spike and I brought you here four days ago. You've been in and out but not fully awake until today." Riley explained."Graham didn't come to see me about that mission until you were already here. I couldn't leave you like this. So Graham left without me." He finished softly his eyes misty.

"What are you not telling me? And what did you mean you couldn't lose another person you loved?" Buffy asked as fear rose in her chest.

"Buffy, I can't explain any of this. But the day after Graham left - I got word that the chopper went down in Belize, Graham died in the crash. I need to go to his funeral tomorrow. I didnt' think I would get to go, because I was so worried about leaving you." Riley brushed the hair from Buffy's forehead. He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"I don't understand any of this." Buffy smiled at him, "But I know that Graham was right - we should be together. I'm so sorry for making you feel like you weren't important."

"It's okay, Buffy. I'm just glad you are okay." He held her tightly.

"No,it's not okay." Buffy placed both hands on either side of his face and looked directly into Riley's eyes. "Riley Finn, if I haven't said it before I'm saying it now. I love you." She told him as she kissed him soundly.

Riley smiled against her lips, "I love you too." And out of the corner of his eye he could have sworn he saw a ghostly apparition give a thumbs up, he blinked once and mouthed the words "Thanks, buddy." As the figure faded into mist.

The two remaining people in the room then swore to each other to never let things come between them again and to appreciate the gift that Graham had left them.

 

The End

 

<< back