"Unbidden Memories"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


The last guest has left the house and it's just us left here. I take Leah and Riley takes Logan upstairs to their rooms, we tuck them in and kiss the tops of their little blond heads, they are so tired from the festivities that they are asleep almost as soon as their heads hit the pillows. Riley puts his arm around me and we go back downstairs,

I take the empty punchbowl into the kitchen and start running the water to wash it. Riley gathers the cups and brings them to me. Thankfully he used paper plates so there aren't that many dishes to wash. The sudsy water is hot as I pick up the dishcloth and wash the bowl.

Riley has picked up the rest of the mess and is now standing behind me, softly nuzzling my neck. "Did you enjoy your birthday party?" He whispers in my ear. I turn around and put a dollop of soapy bubbles on his nose, smiling brightly I assure him that I did enjoy the surprise party he threw for my 28th birthday. He looks happy with himself, he's always looks that way when I'm happy. He's been that way every since he convinced me to marry him six years ago, always trying his best to make sure that I'm happy. And I am, I'm very content.

I have a perfect husband and a set of perfect two year old twins, a perfect family, a perfect life. But sometimes, like today memories come back unbidden and make me remember another love, another time. Angel will always have a corner of my heart, but he was right about so many things, but at the time I was too young and too stubborn to understand. I owe alot to Angel, my perfect life is due him, because he loved me enough to back away.

"Willow looks good, it seems like it's been ages since she came home." Riley says as he ties up the last bag of trash to take outside.

"Yes, she does. I guess being Dr. Rosenberg in LA agrees with her. Xander looked good too. I'm sorry that Cordy couldn't make it, but she had yet another audition that she couldn't miss." I don't mention the other guest who couldn't make it, the other old *friend*. I also don't tell Riley about the gift that old friend sent with Willow, I tucked it in the closet. .

I'm not sure even a guy as understanding as Riley would understand the gift. He's never been told the whole Buffy and Angel saga, he just knows we were close a long time ago.

"I'm taking this out." He calls over his shoulder as I hear the door close behind him. I finish drying the punchbowl and gently place the cups back in it. I'm going to go put it back in the top of the closet and maybe open my gift.

Riley comes back in to find me carrying the punchbowl to the closet. "Let me do that." He tells me and starts to reach for the bowl.

"No, I've got it. Why don't you go on upstairs, I'm gonna finish up here and I'll be right up." I tell him as I walk to the closet.

"Okay, don't stay up too long, we can finish the cleanup tomorrow." He kisses my forehead and turns to go upstairs.

"Goodnight, I love you Riley." I tell him softly.

He looks at me with his soft smile "I love you too."

When Riley is safely upstairs I go to the closet after putting the punchbowl back on it's shelf , I dig out the manila envelope that is addressed to me an old fashioned flowing script that I instantly recognize. I take a deep breath and sit down at the kitchen counter. I carefully open the envelope and pull out the contents.

It's a book, taking a closer look I see that it's a copy of Elizabeth Barrett Brownings, 'Sonnets from the Portugese'. My breath catches for a moment, it's the same book that he gave me on my 18th birthday, the one I lost. I open the cover my hands trembling slightly. The inscription is written on the first page, it reads

Buffy,
I'm sorry I couldn't make the party. Please forgive me for taking 10 years to replace this book, Please enjoy it.

Always,
Angel

I reread the note several times before flipping through the book and reading some of the beautiful sonnets. I let one tear roll down my cheek, before I pick up the book and head down to the basement. In the corner is my mom's cedar chest, I kneel beside it and open the lid, inside is a leather jacket folded neatly, it has a gorgeous silver cross necklace lying on top of it. I add the book to the chest and smiling under my breath I say outloud "Thank you, Angel."

I turn out the lights and go upstairs to meet Riley in our bedroom. He's waiting there for me and it feels right.

The End

 

<< back