"Unexpected Valentine"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


"You can't go out with Riley, tonight. I've got important info on a new demon in town. We need to investigate." Spike told Buffy as she finished her hair.

"He's right Buffy, if we can believe the rumors from Willy's you do need to go with Spike and investigate. I'm quite sorry about ruining your Valentines Day. I'm sure Riley will understand." Giles assured her as he saw the large frown appear on her face.

"I can't believe this. Let me call Riley." She pouted as she reached for the phone. The phone rang several times before she finally gave up and hung up.

"I'll write him a quick note. Then we'll go." She complained even as she was writing.

"Thank you, Buffy. Again I'm sorry. I'm going back to the books. Let me know what you find." Giles told her as he left the dorm room.

"Let's go Slayer, we are supposed to go to the Gorsham crypt at Rosewood Cemetary, not sure what's there but that's where the Snitch said it was going down." Spike smiled at her as he spoke, he could tell she was really aggravated with him.

The walk to the graveyard seemed longer then usual, possible because Buffy refused to talk to him. She just mumbles answers to his questions until he gave up asking them.

They cautiously entered the crypt, Buffy took the lead. "Spike, come here." She called from the crypt.

He quickly joined her, "What?" he asked as she pointed at the crystal vase holding the dozen red roses sitting on the vault in the middle of the crypt.

"There's a card, go read it." He pushed her forward.

Buffy reached for the card hesitantly, she read it out loud to Spike, "For Buffy the Vampire Slayer, these roses are for you, although their beauty cannot compare to yours. Your next stop should be at the Lyman crypt in the Serenity Cemetary."

"It's not signed?" Spike asked interestedly.

"Nope, no signature. What do you think?" She bent her head gently and smelled the roses.

"I say we take your flowers and head to Serenity Cemetary. I'm going, this could all be a trick to catch you off guard."

This time the walk went quicker, Buffy was full of conversation "Do you think maybe Riley is behind this? Are you in on this Spike?" She asked him as she clutced the vase of flowers.

"No, I'm not in on this. And do you really think that wanker is smart enough to set something like this up, not likely." Spike said huffily as they entered the cemetary gates.

"You shouldn't put down Riley, Spike. He is a very nice guy." Buffy snapped at him as they came to the door of the Lyman crypt. She entered without looking back at Spike.

Spike followed her in this time she was holding a heartshaped box of chocolates in one hand and a note in the other. "What's this one say?"

"For Buffy, this candy is for you although you are sweeter then any candy. Your next stop should be the Tilman crypt at Shadygrove cemetary." Buffy read aloud.

"Still not signed?" Spike asked.

"No, still not signed. Are you sure this isn't from Riley, Spike?"

"No, it's not from Riley, I can guarantee that." He told her as they left the crypt.

"Well, whoever is doing this Slayer, they know you well, and they must really like you, don't you think?" Spike asked her on the walk to Shadygrove.

"Yes, I guess so, but it's kind of weird." She answered deep in thought.

"I'd say he must be a nice guy to go to all this trouble." Spike said as they found the Tilman crypt.

Buffy walked into the crypt and found a small velvet covered box sitting on the step along with another note. She picked up the box and opened it to find a dainty gold chain with a small heart dangling from it. She unfolded the note and again read it out loud.

"Slayer, this is for you. Just a reminder that you have my heart. By now hopefully you've figured out who I am."

Something inside of Buffy's head clicked as she reread the note to herself. She had to test her theory "Spike, you don't think Angel is responsible for these gifts do you?" She asked him in her sweetest voice.

Spike's anger tore through him as he roared at her "No the poof isn't responsible for the gifts and Riley isn't responsible for the gifts. I AM, I am the one whose heart you hold in your hands." He sat down on the step with a sigh.

Buffy smiled as she sat next to him, she took his hand in hers and looked into his sad eyes "I know, Spike." She said softly.

"Then why did you ask about Angel?" He asked her suspiciously.

"I had to be sure." She told him honestly.

"When did you know?"

"The last note was addressed Slayer, you are the only person who calls me that." She answered with a giggle.

"Okay, you know, now what?" He asked glumly, although he had realized that she was holding his hand and she hadn't let go. Was this a sign?

"Well, it looks like I owe you a big thank you for all of the nice gifts." She smiled mischeiviously at him. "Don't you think?"

"Definitely!"

"Would you help me with the necklace?" She asked as she lifted the necklace from the box and handed it to him. He put the necklace around her neck and fastened it. Then he tilted her head up and placed a gentle but passionate kiss on her lips.

Buffy returned the kiss with equal fervor, savoring the feel of his cool mouth on hers, thier tongues dancing together.

Spike finally broke the kiss, "So you aren't mad at me for making you miss the date with Riley?"

She laughed softly, "No, Spike I'm not angry." And their lips met again.

"Slayer," Spike said as she broke the kiss for a much needed breath.

"Yes"

"Happy Valentines Day."

"Yes, Spike, it is."

 

The End

 

<< back