"Emma"

Author: Samantha
Email: sammer77@aol.com
Disclaimer: The song reference is "Because You Love Me" by Jo Dee Messina.

"Why don’t you rock her? Did you try rocking her?"

Riley looked at Buffy. "Yes, I tried rocking her."

Buffy stood beside him. "Maybe she’s hungry. Did you try feeding her?"

Riley narrowed his eyes at her, his calm stare scanning her carefully. "She’s not hungry."

"Well…" Buffy began.

Riley interrupted her. "Look," he said, his patience wearing thin. "I’ve tried everything. I’ve rocked her, I’ve held her, I’ve read to her, I’ve changed her, I’ve done everything short of strangling her. Nothing has worked. Any more suggestions?"

Buffy studied her husband closely. The annoyance in his eyes was nothing compared to what he was actually feeling. She understood because she felt it herself. Emma hadn’t stop crying in hours. Neither of them had slept very much in days. They were both cranky and at the end of their ropes.

Buffy tried to think. She didn’t want to call her mother. Again. She had been doing that almost every night since she came home from the hospital. She wanted to prove to her mom and to herself that she could take care of her own daughter. She looked at Riley wearily and sighed. Then she got an idea.

"Sing," she said seriously. "Maybe you should sing."

Riley looked at his wife, shaking his head. The woman has finally lost it, he thought. Lack of sleep has finally broken her.

"Are you serious?" he asked incredulously.

Buffy didn’t budge. "Yes. You’ve tried everything else. It couldn’t hurt."

Riley was silent for a moment. "You sing."

"She’s your daughter," Buffy said.

Riley snorted softly. "Oh, I see. She’s only my daughter when she’s like this." He motioned to the crib. Emma was wriggling around uncomfortably, her face bright red.

Buffy defended herself. "No, she’s always you’re daughter, Riley." Then she smiled. "It’s just that I like to take the credit for her when she’s good."

Riley paused again, staring unbelievably at his wife. Her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail and she was wearing some old sweats. She looked like a teenager, an innocent child. But Riley knew the truth. Behind that youthful face, behind those shadows of fatigue, lay a cold, calculating woman. One who always got what she wanted. Especially from Riley.

But not this time.

"I’m not singing unless you do it with me." He looked into her eyes, his own flashing. "I will not take no for an answer."

Buffy cringed slightly at the tone of Riley’s voice. He was serious. And exhausted. He was not playing around anymore.

"Okay," she said softly. "I’ll sing."

They looked at their unhappy daughter and then at each other. "What should we sing?" Buffy asked.

Riley looked at her, shrugging his shoulders. "I don’t know. But think of something quick."

"How about ‘The Star Spangled Banner’?" she asked hopefully.

Riley shot her a quick glance out of the corner of his eye. "Buffy, get real. That song is not soothing."

Buffy sighed and thought of another one. "I know! How about ‘Jingle Bells’?" She was running out of ideas. She looked at Riley hopefully.

Riley turned his face towards her, his eyes rimmed with weariness. It seemed silly to him to sing a Christmas carol after Christmas, but he was willing to try anything. Besides, he didn’t have any better suggestions. He rubbed his eyes and leaned against the side of the crib.

"Fine," he muttered.

Buffy counted off and they started to sing. Over and over again, they sang. After they finished the song for what seemed like the hundredth time, they stopped . They had been concentrating so much on the song, they failed to realize that Emma had stopped crying. She had fallen asleep.

Buffy and Riley looked at each other in relief. Buffy put her finger to her lips, smiling. Riley looked at his sleeping daughter thankfully. He put an arm around his wife.

They turned around slowly and stealthily crept out of the nursery. They closed the door behind them, heading back to their room. But something stopped them. The same something that had kept them from doing anything that involved sleep. Emma’s cries rang through the hall.

The young parents looked at each other in exasperation. Buffy asked him a question with her eyes. Riley simply nodded wearily at her.

Buffy walked into their bedroom, Riley following close behind. She picked up the phone on the nightstand, throwing herself heavily onto the bed. She pushed #3 on the speed dial and put the phone to her ear, listening.

"Hello, Mom?" she said, surrendering. "Help."

"Colic," Joyce stated simply. "Babies get it all the time." She was standing next to the crib, holding her granddaughter.

Buffy and Riley looked blankly at each other and then turned their heads in unison to face Joyce. Their mouths hung open slightly and they blinked.

Colic. Why hadn’t they thought of that?

"Colic?" Graham asked. "You should’ve asked me. I could’ve told you that." He watched his exhausted friend closely. It was Sunday and Riley was at Graham and Willow’s house watching football. Only there wasn’t much football being watched. Riley was half-asleep and had been sinking deeper and deeper into the couch cushions.

Riley looked at Graham. How come the answer was so obvious to everyone but he and Buffy?

"How would you know that?" he asked.

Graham stated matter-of-factly, "My kid brother used to get it all the time." He grinned at Riley’s expression. He had never seen Riley so utterly clueless before. He was enjoying it.

Riley leaned his head back against the back of the couch and stared at the ceiling. He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

"I think you’re going to have to find another best man, G." He turned his eyes towards Graham. "Because I’m going to be dead." He rubbed his eyes.

Graham chuckled. "Sorry, bro. You’re not getting off the hook that easily." He stood up. "Want another beer?"

Riley shook his head. "No, thanks."

Graham went into the kitchen to get himself one. Riley spoke to him from the living room.

"Graham, you’re a good friend. And I care about you. And as your best man, it is my job to give you good, sound advice." He paused, listening for the sound of a can being opened. Graham came out of the kitchen and listened to his friend, leaning against a dining room chair.

Riley continued. "When it comes time for you and Willow to have kids, to start a family…do me a favor." He looked soberly at Graham.

"Yeah?" Graham asked carefully.

Riley looked squarely at him. "Don’t. Get a dog instead. They’re quieter."

Graham just laughed.

"Colic?" Willow asked, her eyebrows raised. She looked at Buffy carefully, noticing the dark circles and the fatigue lines on her forehead.

Buffy nodded slowly. "That’s what Mom said. She just stood there, holding Emma, giving us her diagnosis. Like it was that obvious. How were we supposed to know?"

"Sorry, Buff. But even I could’ve told you that," Willow said softly.

Buffy glared at her. "I don’t want to hear it." Then she sat back heavily against the back of the sofa and sighed loudly. "Man, I suck at this parenting thing."

Willow tried to reassure her friend. "Come on, Buff. This was only your first crisis. There will be plenty of others. Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it." She smiled.

"Thanks," Buffy said sarcastically.

"So where is my little goddaughter?" Willow asked, looking around.

"With her grandmother." Buffy paused, gazing at Willow. "The one in Iowa."

Willow looked at Buffy, her eyes wide.

"Just kidding. She’s with my mom." Buffy sighed again. "But last night, Riley and I were seriously considering stuffing that child into a box and shipping her to Iowa."

Willow smiled. "You know, if you and Riley ever want a night off, Graham and I would be happy to take her."

Buffy looked at Willow, her eyelids half closed.

"Where were you last night?"

Cordelia sat up, panting. She had just had a vision. She pushed her hair back out of her eyes, regaining her composure.

"What was it? What did you see?" Wesley asked insistently.

Cordelia stared up at him, dazed.

The alarm buzzed loudly through the haze of slumber. Riley rolled over heavily and slammed it off. He rubbed his eyes.

Buffy stirred next to him. "No," she moaned. "It’s too early."

They had taken Willow up on her offer and had sent Emma to she and Graham’s house for the night. They loved their daughter. They even missed her. They hadn’t spent a night away from her since she was born. But they were also both exhausted and needed a night off. So they gave her to her godparents and hoped that Willow and Graham would still want that title in the morning.

Riley leaned over and kissed Buffy on the forehead, "Go back to sleep," he whispered. "I’ll go get her."

He stood up, stretching. That was the first full night’s sleep either of them had had in months. That whole nightmare business had deprived them both of sleep even before Emma was born.

He yawned. He could still feel fatigue pulling on him, but it wasn’t as strong as it had been. He was definitely more refreshed. He reminded himself to do something really nice for Graham and Willow.

He got around and dressed quickly. If the Marines had taught him anything, it was how to do that. He looked at Buffy. She had rolled over and gone back to sleep. He smiled to himself. He had always loved watching her sleep.

Riley left to pick up his daughter.

Graham stood in his doorway, leaning heavily against the frame. He looked very tired.

"Good morning," Riley said cheerfully, looking at his friend closely, amused.

"If you say so," Graham muttered, yawning. His eyelids were rimmed with redness.

Riley kept a straight face. "I’m sorry, did I wake you?" he asked, knowing full well the reason for Graham’s mood.

Graham narrowed his eyes. "Indirectly." Riley fought hard to hide his grin. His eyes twinkled delightfully.

Willow came up behind Graham, carrying Emma in her carrier, her baby bag packed and ready to go.

"Hey, Riley." She was also tired, but she was more polite. She smiled.

"How was she?" Riley asked amusedly.

There was a pause. Graham didn’t dare touch that question. He was silent, deferring to Willow. She looked at him briefly and then turned to Riley and smiled sincerely.

"Great," she said. "She was great."

Riley studied her carefully, knowing she was lying. He was enjoying this, but decided not to torture his friends any longer.

"Well, thank you," he said, smiling. "Buffy and I really appreciated this." He reached out and took his now sleeping baby from Willow, throwing the baby bag over his shoulder.

"Anytime," Willow chimed in. Graham nudged her in the arm, trying not to be obvious about it.

Riley looked at his two friends, laughing to himself. "Well, thanks again. We’ll see you later." He turned around and headed to his car.

He shook his head and laughed out loud when he heard Graham ask Willow, "Honey, can we get a dog?"

When Riley walked through the front door, he said to his daughter, "Let’s go see if Mommy’s still sleeping."

"Mommy’s in the kitchen," Buffy called. She peeked out her head out the door and tilted it in the direction of the living room. "We have company."

Riley walked towards the living room, setting the baby stuff down in the hallway. His face lit up with surprise at who he saw there. Cordelia Chase was sitting on the couch with a man wearing glasses. Not Angel.

He wondered what they were doing here. He began to panic. The only other time he had seen Cordelia was when he went to LA to see Angel about Buffy’s dream. What was she doing in Sunnydale? In his living room?

Buffy emerged from the kitchen carrying a tray. There were cups and coffee for everyone and a bottle for Emma. She set it down on the coffee table and walked over to Riley. She took Emma from him and kissed him on the cheek. She led him into the living room.

"Honey, this is Cordelia Chase and Wesley…?" She couldn’t remember his last name.

Wesley stood up, extending his hand. "Wyndham-Pryce. Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. Nice to meet you…sir." He almost called Riley by his name, but caught himself in time. Cordelia had told him that they were to act as though they didn’t know who Riley was.

Riley shook his hand as Buffy said, "Cordelia, Wesley, this is my husband Riley." She turned to Riley. "They are a couple of old friends of mine." She used the word "friend" loosely when referring to Wesley.

"Nice to meet you Cordelia," Riley said. The two did not shake hands.

Buffy set the carrier down and picked Emma up, smiling at her. "How’s my girl?" She walked over to the couch, showing her off to the guests.

Cordelia smiled despite her mood. "She’s cute, Buff."

Wesley inspected the baby closely. "Ah yes. She’s very beautiful."

"Like her mother," Riley added, walking up behind his wife and resting his hands on her shoulders.

Cordelia looked at the family of three and wanted to scream. She couldn’t believe she was here. After Angel’s death, she never wanted anything to do with Buffy ever again. Wesley had to practically drag her back to Sunnydale.

Buffy sat down in one of the chairs, holding Emma. Riley sat down in the other one. He eyed the two guests suspiciously, still wondering why they were here.

There was a silence among the group. Cordelia and Wesley sipped their coffee, avoiding conversation. Finally, Buffy spoke.

"How’s Angel?" she asked casually.

Cordelia almost choked trying to swallow.

"What?" she asked, coughing.

Buffy looked at her curiously. "How’s Angel? The business?"

They’re both dead, Cordelia thought bitterly. But she actually said, " They’re fine."

Buffy ignored Cordy’s abruptness. "Oh," she said simply.

Cordelia couldn’t take it anymore. She set her cup down loudly on the tray.

"Look," she said harshly. "I’m here on business. Not to socialize." She looked back and forth between Buffy and Riley. "I had a vision."

"Of what use is a child to the Council?" Lars asked, looking over curiously at Colin, who was sitting next to him in the helicopter.

"That’s for them to know," Colin answered bluntly. "Our only concern is to make sure the merchandise is delivered to them safely."

"But…" Lars began.

Colin interrupted. "Shut up. You ask too many questions."

Buffy held Emma tightly. She and Riley gawked at what Cordelia was telling them.

"I saw a red truck and two men. Then I saw you screaming and heard a baby crying."

Riley questioned her. "And? What else?"

"There is nothing else. That’s it," Cordelia said dryly.

When Cordelia had first had the vision, she hadn’t wanted to do anything about it. She was still emotionally raw about Angel and having a vision about Buffy hadn’t helped. A part of her had wanted to see Buffy hurt, to suffer like she herself was suffering.

But Wesley had convinced her otherwise. He had said, "Cordelia, listen to me. Angel would want you to do everything you could help Buffy and her child. He sacrificed everything for them. The least you can do is make sure it wasn’t for nothing." And for once, Wesley had been right.

So here they were now.

"Who are these men?" Riley asked urgently.

Cordelia shook her head.

Wesley spoke up. "I can’t be sure, but from the way Cordelia described them, they sound like two of the Council’s messengers." To call them messengers was being polite. They were more like henchmen-brutal and uncaring.

Riley stood up and walked over to Buffy’s chair, looking down at them. He put a hand on her shoulder.

"What does the Watcher’s Council want with Emma?" he asked, confused.

Buffy spoke softly. "I bet I know."

She sat in the nursery, watching Emma sleeping through the side of the crib. She had been awfully quiet since Cordelia and Wesley left.

Riley didn’t know what to say, how to get through to her. All afternoon she had been up here, just looking at their daughter. He was leaning against the door frame trying to figure out a way to reach out to her. Finally, he just walked in and stood behind her, putting a hand on her shoulder gently.

Buffy shrugged his hand off. "Don’t," she whispered, never moving her eyes from the crib.

Riley closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "It isn’t your fault, Buffy," he said gently.

"Yes it is, Riley. I’m a danger to her. To both of you." She looked up at him, tears in her eyes.

Kneeling in front of her, he looked into her eyes, his hands on her knees. "Please don’t ever think that. Not ever." He followed her gaze to their sleeping child.

But Buffy stood up quickly and took a few steps away, turning her back. "All of this is happening because I quit the Council, Riley. They haven’t forgiven me and now they want revenge." Her eyes were angry as she turned around to face Riley.

Riley was relieved to hear the anger in her voice, to see it in her eyes. At least it was an emotion other than sadness. He could see remnants of the old Buffy in her eyes. The one he knew and loved. He began to hope.

Standing, he walked over to her, looked squarely into her face. "Nothing’s going to happen to her because we won’t let it," he said authoritatively.

She looked up at him. "But what do we do?"

Riley said confidently, "We fight."

The huge armored truck was waiting for them when they landed. The two messengers hurried off the helicopter, Colin in front.

"Get in," Colin said to Lars gruffly. "Now."

Lars, who hadn’t said a word since Colin told him to shut up, quietly obeyed.

The roar of the engine cut through the surrounding silence. Colin drove the truck into the darkness.

They were in Seattle. Sunnydale was two days’ drive away.

Buffy and Riley were sparring. But this time, it wasn’t for fun. She was out of shape and rusty from being out of action for so many months. Her strength hadn’t diminished, nor had her reflexes. But her mind had been out of fighting mode for so long that she needed to get it back on track.

They circled around and around. They started slowly-a jab here, a kick there. But then Riley blind-sided her and she went down. Buffy never saw it coming. She sat on the floor, dazed and surprised.

"Get up, Buffy," Riley demanded. "Now."

She looked up at her husband, shocked that he had hit her so hard, at his tone of voice. She remained sitting, blinking up at him.

"Come on, Buffy. Let’s go. This isn’t a game." Riley was taunting her.

Buffy started to get angry. "What the hell’s the matter with you, Riley?" she said, getting up slowly.

But she was too slow. Riley hit her again and she hit the floor again. Buffy shook her head, trying to clear out the cobwebs. She pushed herself up on her hands and knees. That was it.

Riley brought his foot around to knock her down again, but Buffy grabbed it and flipped him to the floor. She stood up quickly. As did Riley. Their faces were serious as they focused on the task at hand.

They started circling again, only with more vigor. Punches and kicks came with more power and frequency. Riley grabbed her and pinned her against him. She grabbed his arm and flipped him over her head. She sat across his chest and aimed her fist at his face.

Riley was smiling. "Welcome back, Buffy."

Cordelia was pacing. Wesley looked up from his book, annoyed.

"Would you please stop that? You’re making me nauseous."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Make me."

"That’s mature," Wesley grumbled under his breath. He went back to his book.

"I can’t take this," Cordelia said suddenly. It was an invitation.

Wesley took the bait. As always. "What?"

Cordelia sat down on the bed. "This," she said, spreading her arms out fully.

"The room? I actually thought it was quite cozy considering what we paid for it," Wesley said.

Cordelia sighed loudly. "Not the room, you idiot! Buffy. Riley. Sunnydale in general."

Wesley tried to be reasonable. "It’s not that bad, Cordelia. I think you may be exaggerating a little."

Cordelia was on the defensive. "I didn’t even want to come here. You made me. You laid the guilt on thick. If it were up to me, I’d…"

"What? You’d what?" Wesley interrupted. "You’d be home in LA wallowing in self pity while innocent people suffer? Even when you know you could have prevented it?"

"Maybe," Cordelia said weakly.

"Cordelia." Wesley looked at her closely.

She was silent. She knew he was right. He had been right all along. But she was also still so angry about Angel. She still blamed Buffy, even though Angel had made the choice.

She shook her head sadly. "I just miss him, Wesley."

"So do I," he said quietly.

Another long silence passed. Finally, Cordelia spoke up, a newfound passion in her voice.

"Let’s go."

Giles studied the young couple closely. "When are they coming?" he asked.

Buffy shook her head. "Cordy didn’t say. That’s why we have to be ready now." She and Riley were sitting together on the couch. Emma was upstairs sleeping.

Xander and Anya were sitting quietly at the kitchen table. They had had an argument. Anya was tired of Xander always running to help Buffy at her expense. She said that she was his girlfriend, not Buffy, and that she should take priority. Xander had countered by saying that he was going no matter what and that she was free to stay home if she’d like. So Anya had tagged along. She wasn’t about to let Xander be alone with Buffy. So here they were now, pouting.

Willow sat in a chair, Graham standing behind her. They had been sleeping when Buffy called, trying to catch up on the rest they had been deprived of the previous night. But they were wide awake now and listening intently.

"It’s always something, isn’t it?" Willow lamented. "You guys can never seem to catch a break." She looked at her two friends closely.

Riley sighed heavily. "Nothing worth having is ever easy, Will."

They were startled out of their thoughts by a knock on the door. Giles went to answer it. Cordelia and Wesley stood on the porch.

"Can we help?"

Buffy and Riley sat at the kitchen table silently. This waiting business was really aggravating. There was nothing quite as excruciating as waiting for your daughter to be kidnapped.

The house was quiet. Too quiet. The only sound that could be heard was their breathing.

Emma wasn’t there. For security, they had let Cordelia and Wesley take her. Cordelia’s offer to help earlier had opened her up to babysitting duties.

Buffy had argued, saying she didn’t feel comfortable letting Emma out of her sight. If Emma was home, Buffy knew she was safe. But Giles had explained to her that Cordelia and Wesley’s motel room would be the last place the men would look. Emma was actually safer with Cordy and Wesley than she was with her parents. For the moment.

So Buffy and Riley had reluctantly agreed to relinquish their newborn daughter until this whole thing blew over. But they missed her terribly.

Cordelia and Wesley stood at the foot of the bed, staring unwittingly at the crying child.

"What do you think is the matter with her?" Wesley asked, bending down and inspecting the child closely, his face inches from Emma’s.

Cordelia said sarcastically, "Gee, I don’t know, Wesley. Why don’t we ask her?" She eyed him annoyingly.

Wesley sniffed the air shortly, wrinkling his nose. "I think I figured it out."

"What?" Cordy asked expectantly.

Wesley looked at her out of the corner of his eye. "She needs changing," he stated simply.

Cordelia stepped back. "Oh no," she said, waving her hands. "Don’t look at me."

"I diagnosed the problem, Cordelia. Now it’s your job to remedy it." Wesley went to the baby bag and reached inside for a clean diaper. He held it out to Cordelia.

Cordelia shook her head. "You do it. I-I don’t know how."

Wesley didn’t budge. "Ignorance will get you nowhere, Cordelia."

She finally relented, looking disgustedly at Wesley and snatching the diaper from his hand. "Fine," she muttered through clenched teeth. "I’ll do it."

As she fumbled with Emma’s dirty diaper she said, "When I offered to help, this is not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking more along the lines of kicking butt, not wiping it." She held the dirty diaper out to Wesley, grasping it at arm’s length between her thumb and forefinger.

"What am I supposed to do with that?" he asked.

"I don’t care," she said, annoyed. "Just get it out of here."

Wesley, not wanting to touch it with his hands, retrieved the trash can from the bathroom and held it underneath the soiled item.

Cordelia rolled her eyes. "You are such a weenie," she said.

Wesley didn’t respond. He just went outside to dispose of the waste.

Colin hadn’t said a word all through Washington or Oregon. He just watched the road, his mind working overtime. It really pissed him off that he was still stuck doing these deliveries. He was tired of being a lackey for the Watcher’s Council. But ever since the whole Faith incident, that’s what he had been relegated to. A lackey. A sour taste filled his mouth.

And now he was stuck with this dumbass Lars. A rookie. Colin would be glad when this assignment was over. It was bad enough that he had to babysit Lars. He didn’t need another child to take care of.

But once the "package" was delivered, she was the Council’s responsibility. They’re the ones who want her so badly. Colin could care less.

He glanced over at Lars, who was sleeping. Snoring, actually. Colin shook his head in disgust. What a useless fool, he thought.

"Welcome to California" the sign read. Thank God, Colin thought in relief. This bloody trip is almost halfway over.

"Why don’t we just use the Initiative? Station troops all around the house?" Graham asked.

Riley shook his head. "We can’t use the Initiative for personal business, Graham. We have to take care of this ourselves." He reached for Buffy’s hand.

The four of them were at Buffy and Riley’s house, discussing the plan of action. They needed to come up with something to head the kidnappers off at the pass. They just didn’t know what.

"I know!" Willow exclaimed.

They all looked at her expectantly. "Well?" their faces asked.

Willow grinned triumphantly. "We wait for them by the door, in the dark. When they come through the door, we jump them! We can beat them senseless with various blunt objects!" She was very proud of herself.

Graham put his hand over hers and smiled. "Honey, I’m not saying anything against your plan. I just think we need a more carefully thought out plan of action. Not that beating them senseless with various blunt objects wouldn’t be effective."

Willow looked at him, narrowing her eyes. Men, she thought. They always have to make everything so complicated.

"Now, Graham, wait a sec. Willow just might have something there," Buffy said pensively.

Willow turned and faced her fiance. "You see?" she said teasingly, sticking her tongue out at him.

Cordelia and Wesley looked at each other wearily. Neither of them had slept a wink the night before. They had taken turns walking the floor with Emma, trying to get her to stop crying. Nothing had worked. She had finally stopped crying on her own about an hour ago and was now sleeping soundly. Like a baby.

"The nest time I offer to help," Cordelia muttered, exhausted, "shoot me." She yawned.

Wesley rubbed his eyes. "We are doing a good thing, Cordelia. You will feel good about it later," he said reassuringly.

Cordelia just stared at him open-mouthed. The room was silent for the first time in hours.

Colin took the exit into Sunnydale. It’s about bloody time, he thought bitterly. His plan was to go there, get the brat, and high-tail it out of dodge. The sooner, the better.

"Aren’t we there yet?" Lars asked impatiently, Those were the first words he’d uttered since the helicopter.

Colin snapped his head around, looking at his pathetic companion. "Shut up," he said rudely. "We get there when we get there."

Lars gave him an "excuse me" look and settled back into his seat, leaning his head against the window.

Colin looked out the windshield at the road. He was trying hard to ignore Lars. Instead, he looked around at the sleepy little suburb around him, transferring the loathing he felt to everyone and everything in it.

They were sitting in the dark silently. Cordelia had called them. She had had another vision, adding to the pain in her head.

"They’re here," she said weakly.

So here they were, waiting for the men who were coming to kidnap Emma. The only sound that could be heard was the tick-tick-ticking of the clock.

The armored truck pulled quietly onto the quaint little side street, headlights off. No need to draw unnecessary attention.

Colin pulled up along the side of the pavement and parked two houses down. He didn’t want to make it look too obvious.

Lars was still sleeping. Colin slapped him awake. "Get up, moron. We’re here."

"You know what, Colin? I’m getting tired of you treating me like this. One of these days…" Lars started, but didn’t finish. Colin had told him to shut up again.

Emma was crying again. Cordelia could’ve sworn that the child was nocturnal. When every other human being on Earth was sleeping, she was awake. Only when the sun was up did she seem to sleep.

Cordelia looked at Wesley, who looked back at her. Their expressions were a mixture of frustration, helplessness, and fatigue.

They stood a moment longer. Finally, Cordelia sighed loudly and said, "That’s it! I can’t stand it anymore!" She reached down and picked up Emma.

Wesley looked at her over his glasses. "What are you doing?"

"Fixing the problem," she said bluntly.

The doorknob jiggled. The noise of metal against metal could be heard as the lock was expertly picked.

As the door opened, the lights came on. The two intruders were startled as their eyes adjusted.

"We’ve been expecting you," Willow said. She and Graham were sitting casually on the couch, grinning at the kidnappers.

"What the…? You’re not the Slayer." Colin was aggravated. But the moment the words left his mouth, he heard a voice behind him.

"No," Buffy said. "But I am." She grabbed Colin and flung him to the ground, sitting on his chest and pinning his arms behind his head.

Meanwhile, Riley had grabbed an unsuspecting and utterly confused Lars by the throat and had him pinned against the wall.

"What the hell do you want with my daughter?" he demanded through clenched teeth. He tightened his grip on the terrified Lars.

Lars just gurgled, unable to find enough air to form words. Not that he could have anyway. He was too frightened to speak.

"You heard him! The Council sent you didn’t they? Why?" Buffy demanded from her prisoner.

Colin was silent, taunting her with his eyes.

Buffy punched him with her free hand, drawing blood. It oozed from his mouth and nose.

"We could do this the easy way or the hard way. Personally I would prefer the hard way. It’s more fun." Her eyes glowed with anger.

Colin lay pinned under the tiny yet amazingly strong Slayer. He thought to himself, What the hell am I doing here?

"Ah, bloody hell," he muttered. "No way am I taking a beating for those bastards." He closed his eyes, taking a breath.

"The Council. They’re still pissed that you quit them. Those wankers have some sort of ‘me’ complex. Think they’re indispensable."

"Why Emma?" Buffy demanded.

Colin looked up at her. "Payback. They wanted something in return for your betrayal."

Buffy loosened her grip on Colin’s wrists. Something in his face, his voice, told her that he was no longer a threat.

She had known it all along. The Watcher’s Council was still holding a grudge.

Colin thought of something. "How did you know we were coming?"

Buffy said simply, "A little birdie told me." She stood up.

"Oh," Colin said, getting up himself. It didn’t really matter anyway. What was done was done. And so was he.

"I see now why you quit those assholes," he said, wiping his nose with the back of his hand, inspecting the blood. He noticed that Riley still had Lars pinned against the wall, struggling for air.

"You can let go of him, mate," Colin said casually. Though he was enjoying watching that idiot on the verge of shitting his pants. "He’s harmless. Not to mention brainless. He wouldn’t know a wall if he was slammed up against one." He laughed at his little joke. But he was the only one.

Riley held him a moment longer and then let him go. Lars coughed, rubbing his neck. The kid has a strong grip, he thought.

Riley looked at Colin hatefully, taking a step towards him. He pointed a finger in Colin'’ face. "You tell the Council that if they mess with my family again, I will personally make them pay."

Colin didn’t flinch. "Tell them yourself. I am officially, as of five minutes ago, no longer in their employ." He rubbed his now swollen jaw.

"What’s up?" Cordelia asked from the open doorway. She and Wesley had just arrived and had missed all the action.

All six faces turned to look at her. "What are you doing here, Cordy? I thought we agreed I was going to call you," Buffy said suspiciously.

"Yeah, well," Cordy said defensively. "I couldn’t wait for the phone to ring. So I changed the plan." She walked in, ignoring the two strangers, and handed the temporarily quiet Emma to her mother.

Wesley chimed in. "Yes, Cordelia’s maternal instinct failed to surface, I’m afraid."

"My maternal instinct? You weren’t exactly Mr. Mom, as I recall," Cordelia shot back.

"Anyway," Buffy interrupted. "Thanks for looking after her." She paused. "By the way, these are the kidnappers," she said, motioning to Colin and Lars.

Cordelia and Wesley stared at Buffy open-mouthed. They were here to take her baby and she was standing there like they were here selling Girl Scout Cookies.

"Excuse me?" Cordy asked, shocked.

Riley, who had moved over by his wife, spoke up.

"Don’t worry," he said. "They were just leaving." He eyed Colin and Lars coldly. "Weren’t you?"

Colin nodded silently and grabbed Lars by the collar. "Let’s go." They headed for the door.

Cordelia and Wesley just followed them with their eyes, their bottom jaws hanging open.

Emma started crying again. It was music to Buffy and Riley’s ears. But Cordelia covered hers with her hands and shook her head.

"Not again!" she screamed. "That’s all she’s been doing for hours!"

Lars stopped on his way out the door. "It’s probably colic," he said casually.

They all looked at him. "Shut up!"

A five-and-a-half week old Emma sat on her father’s lap, smiling. Riley was tickling her and making funny noised with his voice. Emma loved it.

Buffy stood on the other side of the room. She leaned in and whispered something to the deejay. Then she looked in Riley and Emma’s direction and winked. She sighed contentedly as she thought about how everything she needed in the world was sitting in that chair across the room. She walked over to them smiling.

"Hi Mommy!" Riley (as Emma) said, waving Emma’s little hand at Buffy.

Buffy laughed and leaned over, kissing Emma’s peach-fuzz head. Then she turned her face towards Riley’s and kissed him deeply.

When she pulled away, Riley let out his breath slowly. "What was that for?" he asked, grinning widely.

"For being such a wonderful husband and father. And because I love you." Buffy’s eyes twinkled mischievously.

Riley cocked his head slightly and narrowed his eyes at his wife suspiciously. "What are you up to, young lady?"

Buffy laughed, playing along. "What makes you think I’m up to anything?" she asked.

"Because you always get that look in your eye when you’re planning something, Buffy Finn." He was still smiling.

A tingle still traveled the length of her spine every time she heard the sound of her married name. She loved being Mrs. Riley Finn.

But before Buffy could respond, the deejay said over the loudspeaker, "This song goes out to Riley. Your beautiful wife Buffy says that today you may be the groom’s best man, but you’re her best man everyday." A series of whistles and catcalls sounded from all directions.

Riley looked up at Buffy, blushing. The song began to play-the same song they had danced to at their own wedding.

Buffy held her hand out. "May I have this dance?"

Willow, the new bride, took Emma. "Go on," she urged Riley.

Finally overcoming his shock, he took Buffy’s hand. "Certainly," he said.

The couple strolled to the dance floor, hand in hand. For a few brief moments, Matron of Honor and Best Man took center stage over bride and groom. As Riley wrapped his arms around his wife, he closed his eyes, getting lost in her embrace.

Buffy exhaled slowly and leaned into Riley, her cheek resting against his chest. She could feel his heart beating and felt hers beating in unison. As she listened to the song’s words, swaying in her husband’s arms, she closed her eyes and thought about how wonderful her life was. How it couldn’t get any better than this moment.

I don’t know how I survived
In this cold and empty world for all this time
I only know that I’m alive
Because you love me

Willow leaned into Graham and sighed. She squeezed Emma gently and kissed the top of her head softly.

"I hope we’re half as happy as they are," she said wistfully, smiling as she watched her best friend content in her husband’s embrace, lost in his touch.

Graham put his arm around his new wife and gently brushed Emma’s cheek.

"I’ll make sure of it, Will. I promise," he whispered in Willow’s ear.

Willow turned her face towards her husband’s and smiled. Their lips met in a gentle kiss.

When I recall what I’ve been through
There’re some things that I wish I didn’t do
And now I do the things I do
Because you love me

Colin looked to his right and rolled his eyes disgustedly. Lars was sniffling, tears filling his eyes. Colin shook his head. What a woman, he thought bitterly.

He had hoped to be rid of Lars by now. Especially since he had quit the Watcher’s Council. This is America, he had thought. The Land of Opportunity. I can do anything.

But being a busboy at a wedding was not exactly what he had had in mind. But the bride, Willow, had offered them a job. He and Lars had been on their way out when she came up to them. She said that everyone deserved a second chance. That since they were unemployed, maybe they would like a job. She smiled warmly.

And without thinking, Colin had accepted. Sure, he had said. Thanks. What an idiot!

Oh well, he lamented as he stood next to his blithering companion. He would make some fast cash and get the hell out of this damn town. And drop Lars while he was at it.

And now that you’re in my life
I’m so glad I’m alive
‘Cause you showed me the way
And I know now how good it can be
Because you love me

Cordelia spied Wesley dabbing his eyes and trying to be discreet about it. She shook her head and chuckled softly.

"Don’t tell me," she whispered. "Allergies?"

Wesley looked at her out of the corner of his eye and smirked slightly.

But Cordelia wasn’t making fun of him. Honestly. She actually found it refreshing that there was a man who wasn’t afraid to show his emotions. Lord knows Angel never did. Or maybe he did. In his own dark, brooding way.

Cordelia sighed. As she watched Buffy and Riley so caught up in there own little happy universe, she was finding it difficult to maintain her constant loathing of the pair. For so long she had been blaming them and hating them. She didn’t know how else to deal with the pain of losing Angel.

But she saw that Buffy was happy. That’s what Angel had always wanted, what he had died for.

Angel had learned to let go. Maybe it was time for her to do the same.

I believe in things unseen
I believe in the message of a dream
And I believe in what you are
Because you love me

"Why do people get married anyway?" Anya asked curiously.

Xander looked at her strangely.

Anya continued. "If it’s so they can have sex all the time, then that’s a dumb reason. I mean, we have sex all the time and we’re not married." She hadn’t bothered keeping her voice down and the pair was beginning to draw more than a little attention.

Xander grabbed her arm. "Could you keep it down a little, sweetie?" he said through his plastered-on smile.

"Then why, Xander? I want to know." Anya was insistent and looked at her ever-becoming-redder boyfriend curiously.

Xander whispered, "Because they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together. That’s why!"

Unfortunately for Xander, his answer opened a trap door through which he immediately plummeted.

"Then why aren’t we married, Xander? Don’t you love me? Don’t you want to spend the rest of your life with me?" Her eyes flashed in the dim light.

Xander swallowed hard and shifted his weight uneasily.

"Oh boy," he said to himself.

With all my heart and all my soul
I’m loving you and I never will let go
And everyday I’ll let it show
Because you love me

As the music ended, Buffy opened her eyes and looked up at Riley. He was looking down at her, smiling. They hadn’t noticed that they had been the only ones dancing through the entire song.

Buffy grinned up at him. "Still love me as much as you did back then?" she whispered.

"No," Riley answered, grinning back at her. "I love you even more."

They shared a brief kiss and walked off the dance floor, hand in hand, in the direction of their daughter.

 

The End

 

<< back