"When She Sleeps"

Author: Samantha
Email: sammer77@aol.com
Notes: The song reference is "Crash Into Oblivion" by Dogwood Moon.


Yes, I love you
Does that make it clear?
Or are you still confused?

When she sleeps, the world is simple. There’s no fighting, no pain, no struggle, no worry.

When she sleeps, time stands still. The evil and heartbreak are held at bay and everything’s the way it should be.

I lied, I hate you for making me care so much for you
Up I go with you and down the other side
Crash into oblivion

When she sleeps, the darkness is comforting instead of frightening, welcoming instead of ominous.

When she sleeps, she belongs to me—not in a possessive kind of way, but in a soulmate kind of way.

When she sleeps, I can talk to her. I can tell her all the things that I feel in my heart. I can tell her about all the pain, the loneliness, the emptiness that I feel inside.

You don't really want me to stay here
I can't understand why I'm still standing in front of you
To tell you the truth, it's not really like me to stay here
But I stay here anyway

When she sleeps, I can see the future. Our future. A little fantasy to stave off the living nightmare I’m in.

When she sleeps, I can hear her voice echo the words that I long to hear.

When she sleeps, I can feel her surround me. It’s a strange kind of closeness that is missing during the day.

When she sleeps, I can look into her face and see myself. It’s scary to be so much a part of someone else that you can see yourself in their eyes even when they are closed.

When she sleeps, I feel like I can protect her. That I can ward off anything that might harm her. Her slumber is my time for vigilance.

Stop, it's your heart I love
But leave your mind behind
It's quite smart
But it doesn't make good company
That mind of yours is annoying me
But hear me through,
Mine annoys me, too
Crash into oblivion

When she sleeps, the rest of the world dissolves away into mist and all that’s left—all that’s solid—is the two of us. Her body next to mine, her arm across my stomach, her breath on my cheek.

When she sleeps, she can be herself. No pressure. No demands. No seemingly insurmountable odds to overcome.

When she sleeps, she’s just a girl. She’s not the Slayer. She’s not a friend. She’s not a daughter or a student or a sister. She’s just a girl. A girl who controls my heart without even trying.

You tell me you you're so surprised I'm still around
With the way that you're treating me
I thought there was nothing you could do to push me away
I hope that I don't crash into oblivion

When she sleeps, she loves me.

 

The End

 

<< back