Glass Houses
By Pixie Child

"Do you really think Buffy would approve?" she asks, her voice laced with sadness and disapproval.

"I don’t know. Would she approve of you and Faith?" is the girl's harsh response. "I mean, at least Cordelia is a friend. Faith tried to kill us how many times?"

"That was low."

"Was it? I don’t know. Maybe. But no lower than yours. How dare you talk about her like that?" A snarl forms on her lips. "Buffy is dead. For the third time. And she’s not coming back, not this time. So it doesn’t really matter, does it?"

"Dawnie..."

"No. Don’t you dare. You do not get to call me that. You do not get to treat me like I’m some stupid kid. And you sure as hell don’t get to tell me who I’m fucking! What gives you the right? You’re such a goddamn hypocrite!"

"Dawn!"

"No." Fury powering her, the younger Summers continues, her eyes coolly meeting Willow’s gaze. "At least I care about her. And she cares about me. Maybe she doesn’t love me. But she listens to me. What you and Faith do? That’s sick. You can barely stand her! She’s just a substitute for Tara. You know, your dead girlfriend?"

"You’re out of line."

"No, I’m not. And you’re her stand-in for Buffy." A deep look of hurt flashes across Willow’s face. And right then, I want so badly to kiss her, right then. Kiss her, hold her and tell her that it will be alright. But I can’t ever do that again, and that’s part of the problem. "Oh, god, Willow. I’m sorry." She’s crying now, quiet sobs that shake her whole body. And Dawn goes to her, her anger forgotten.

"Yes, you did. And you were right."

"Maybe. Does it matter? I was mad. But I shouldn’t have said that. We’re all we’ve got now." With that, Dawn’s strong façade breaks down, and they begin to cry together.

And while the huddle together I’m helpless to do anything but watch until Cordelia and Faith return.

Only then do I leave.

Because them not knowing I’m here? It sucks. But the not knowing of what’s happening with them? It’s worse.