Song of Herself
By Doyle

On Dawn’s seventeenth birthday, the world doesn’t end. Not even a narrowly averted apocalypse. Vampires don’t crash the party, not a single demon leaps out of the cake, Sweet doesn’t blast into town to reclaim his one-year-closer-to-legal fiancée and she doesn’t end the evening by losing her virginity to her immortal, brooding vampire lover.

Instead there’s cake and gifts and a totally normal party that’s just perfect for a totally normal girl.

In bed that night, in the rented house in Cleveland, she feels weirdly disappointed.

**

Xander still sees things. He’s not the only one.

Someday Dawn’s going to be a Watcher, and she starts practising that summer in Cleveland. It’s a grown-up version of her little kid Harriet the Spy games when she’d sneak around following Buffy and Angel. So, without being told, she knows that Vi loves being a Slayer and Rona doesn’t. She knows that Kennedy loves Willow more than the other way around. She knows that Xander misses Anya far, far more than he ever hints at.

It makes her sad to realize that that maybe there’s no such thing as the Scooby Gang any more, because with Andrew and Principal Wood and Kennedy and everybody else the group is frickin’ huge. No way they’d all fit into the Mystery Machine, unless it’s like the phone booth in that weird old British sci-fi show that Andrew loves. There are days when she feels that way herself, like she’s bigger on the inside; like the teenage girl shaped part of her that the world sees is tiny compared to the inner Dawn.

Line of poetry she comes across when she’s flipping through her English book avoiding homework (eugh, summer school): I am large, I contain multitudes.

She copies it down into her new journal, the one she’s started to self-consciously call her Watcher’s Diary.

**

The movie theater’s old and she lives in fear that one day the ceiling’s going to pancake them all, but the seats are wide enough for two people and the popcorn’s the way she likes it. They fall into a Friday afternoon routine – Dawn and Xander on one couch-seat, Andrew in a seat of his own on her other side. Dawn holds the popcorn in her lap and sneaks more of it than the boys.

They see Pirates of the Caribbean three times. By the third time she knows exactly when Andrew will go glassy-eyed over Orlando and when Xander will make a joke about his eye-patch.

“Don’t,” she finally bursts out. “It’s not funny.”

He looks surprised, then smiles at her. Not a real smile, and she works out that he knows it’s not funny, but he has to say it anyway.

His hand’s on the faded velvet beside her, and she sets her own over it. Lights are down, Andrew at the wrong angle to see and nobody’s going to notice her holding hands with the guy who’s supposed to be practically her brother. Slips her hand underneath, entwining their fingers. His palm’s broad, the fingers rough. She hasn’t seen him build anything recently. Maybe he can’t, she realizes, now that his depth perception’s gone.

He looks at their hands, looks at her, back to the hands, and is he blushing? She can’t tell by the light from the screen but just the possibility that she’s making an older man blush gives her a thrill of power.

She doesn’t let go till the lights come up. He doesn’t pull away.

The next Friday he makes excuses about not having time to go to a movie. She and Andrew go alone, and it’s just not the same.

**

Buffy must’ve had it backwards, because kissing a real live guy is way better than kissing a vampire. Warmer and softer, and he’s better at it than Justin. Or maybe it’s just because he’s older.

She’d like to talk to Buffy about this but she’s away, gathering together the girls in Europe, and she’d only wig out anyway.

“Dawn,” Xander says. Voice harder than she remembers him ever using to her. “You’re late.” Responsible and bossy and non-Xander, like it’s Buffy or Giles speaking out of his mouth.

She gives Paul one last kiss. Makes it a good one, because Xander’s still watching them from the porch, then sends him away with a smile.

“Nice car,” Xander notes, once Paul’s driven away. “Sweet set-up. He’s, what, seventeen?”

He’s a month off nineteen. “He’s twenty-two,” she says, brushing past him. “Night.”

**

September means school, regular school. Means an end to the four hours a day of make-up classes and eating bagged lunches with Paul as she listens to him talk about the accident that killed his parents and kept him out of school for nearly a year. He moves away the last week in August, and she promises to write and call, knowing she won’t, knowing he won’t either.

Other years, back in Sunnydale, she went shopping for school supplies with Buffy, Tara, her mom. Xander offers to drive her to the mall, in the awkward, too-jovial way he talks to her these days, but she borrows money from Giles and takes the bus.

She wishes she could tell Xander that he doesn’t have to try to squeeze her into this little place in his worldview; she’s not his sister. She’s not a child any more. He doesn’t have to worry that he can’t protect her.

**

Without slayer strength or magic or years of training there’s not much to do in a superhero group except stand back and watch. So she should have guessed, really, that Andrew sees things, too.

“You’re way too young for him,” he says out of the blue one day, as they’re playing Prince of Persia on the console they finally cajoled Giles into buying.

The color rises high in her face, making her hot and irritated. “Yeah? Well, you’re way too male for him.”

“Whatever, girlfriend,” he divas in that way he’s getting freakishly good at. Then he goes soft and serious, which is so much worse. “Seriously, Dawnie. Anya’s only been gone five months.” Voice catches and he says gone, not dead, like she’s on a beach in Acapulco and every week she sends postcards that they stick to the fridge along with Buffy’s. Andrew Wells, protector of Anya’s memory.

“I miss her too,” Dawn says, feeling miserable, remembering what a bitch she used to think Cordelia was. She wishes Cordelia was around. She might understand.

**

Xander kisses her for the first time at Halloween, and freaks. She knows he freaks because he looks panicky and so weirded out that she’s scared she’s turned into her costume and become the real Arwen. Stranger things have happened.

Drumbeat in his chest when she lays her hand flat there, before he makes a lame quip about demon possession and says they should go find the others.

She kisses him two nights later on the porch, and it’s better.

**

“I spoke to Buffy.”

Xander strokes her hair. “How’s our esteemed ambassador to Italy?”

“She’s coming back next week. For Christmas.”

His hand stops. Withdraws.

Dawn sits up, pulls back so they’re not quite touching. She tugs at one of the cushions on the floor and wonders why she and Xander and Andrew prefer sitting against the couch to on it.

Buffy’s coming back, and it could be the end of everything, but it won’t. She won’t let it.

She is large, she contains multitudes.

“I totally have a master plan,” she says, brightly enough to make Xander smile. His arm goes around her again and she smiles, too.

“Yeah, me too,” he says, “but mine involves a last alliance of men and elves, so let’s go with yours.”

“She’ll be so relieved I’m not pregnant with Andrew’s baby she’ll think it’s great we’re together.” Snuggles close into his side. “But that elves thing is good, too.”

This is going to be major. There’ll be yelling and maybe crying and questions about why they spent months sneaking around in secret. She’s got her defence ready for that one – Willow and Giles could have noticed, if they’d been watching. They never told Andrew, and he knew. Plus for the rest of it, she has a secret weapon she likes to call the Angel Card. Five years age difference versus two hundred plus? Not a big deal.

She’s seventeen. She’s happy and in love and maybe loved back. She’s not a fling or a rebound or a substitute for Anya, because if she was any of those things this wouldn’t be such a battle.

She’s not a slayer or a witch, but she’s going to be a Watcher someday and Xander’s going to help her because extraordinary people need to stick together, and because they seem to keep saving each other’s lives.

She’s Dawn Summers.

She’s starting to figure out what that means.