Volcanoes
By Alyson Teague

A/N: Volcanoes belongs To Damien Rice and whoever else owns the song.

-------------------------

Don't hold yourself like that
Cause you'll hurt your knees
Well, I kissed your mouth and back
That's all I need
Don't build your world around
Volcanoes melt you down
What I am to you is not real
and what I am to you, you do not need
what I am to you, is not what you mean to me
give me miles and miles of mountains
and I’ll ask for the sea

Tara stood a the sink in the kitchen of 1630 Revello drive, gently wiping off an already spotless piece of china and listening to her favorite song. She didn’t know why she was so nervous, but she had put in her Damien Rice CD which generally meant something was wrong. She’d had dinner with Willow so many times over the last two years. After all they were in love. Lovers generally ate together, and spent time together. Yet she couldn’t push away the uneasy feeling that had settled into her gut. Something was going to happen tonight. Something no good.

“Hey.”

The voice pushed into her thoughts suddenly and Tara almost dropped the delicate plate. Turning quickly she was the youngest Summers girl hoisting herself up into a stool at the island. She smiled.

“Hey Dawn, you’re home early sweetie. I thought you were spending the night at Janice’s.”

Dawn got the look on her face she tended to get when she thought she was going to be yelled at, and Tara smiled softly, reassuring her that nothing of that accord would be happening. And that she wasn’t angry at all that Dawn had come home. She actually felt somewhat relieved.

“Janice got in trouble, something about her mom finding pot in her room.”

Tara looked concerned and a little suspicious. Dawn quickly caught on, and her eyes widened greatly.

“Oh, I had no idea she would do something like that!” Dawn hurriedly explained. And Tara smiled and nodded in under standing.

Don't throw yourself like that
in front of me.
I kissed your mouth, your back
Is that all you need?
Don't drag my love around, yeah
volcanoes melt me down
and what I am to you, is not real
and what I am to you, you do not need
and what I am to you, is not what you mean to me
give me miles and miles of mountains
and I’ll ask for...

Tara set the plate down and walked over to sit in the stool next to Dawn. Resting one elbow on the counter she smiled at the younger girl. This didn’t fool Dawn though. Living with the Wicca for so long had taught her to know when something was wrong. She raised an eyebrow and gave Tara the ‘What’s going on with you and Willow?’ look. Causing Tara to roll her eyes and sigh.

“I don’t know Dawnie. I just have this…feeling.” Tara tried to explain. Dawn understood, as Tara often seemed so sense what was going to happen. Dawn supposed it was from being so pure, that the Goddess had given her this gift to try and protect her from harm. That’s what Dawn loved about her friend. She was so pure and loving. Everything Tara did was in kindness and warmth and love. Never would the lady hurt a soul. Thinking about Tara and sitting next to her gave Dawn a warm feeling in the pit of her stomach. Dawn didn’t dare think it, but she knew it was more than the sisterly love she claimed it was.

“Dawnie?” Tara asked snapping Dawn from her thoughts. Dawn looked into Tara’s eyes and before she could stop herself, she felt herself lean forward and capture Tara’s lips in a soft kiss. Holding the moment, and not daring to break it until Tara pulled away in horror, Dawn let her eyes close and almost opened them is shock when she heard a soft moan escape Tara’s lips and the witches soft hands tangle themselves in Dawn’s chestnut hair.

what I give to you
its just what I’m going through
this is nothing new
no, no just another phase of finding what I really need
is what makes me bleed
like a new disease
lord, she's still too young

A loud thud brought the both of them back to reality and they sprung apart. Dawn saw the terror that fled into Tara’s eyes and knew what was behind her. Tensely she turned in her seat, and saw a broken Willow staring back at her. ‘Busted’.