Shaken

by Julbie9

 

Genre: Action/Comedy/Screenplay

Rating: PG

Summary: There's an earthquake and the balance of power gets...err...shifted.

 

The Scooby Gang is out patrolling with Buffy. They are getting their asses kicked as usual. Willow and Xander are showing poorly. They do their best, but are continually being saved by Buffy. Buffy is getting very tired.

Willow: We sure could use Spike’s help right about now.

Buffy: Don't say that! We don't need him. We’re doing fi- oof!

Before Buffy can finish, a large vampire rams into her and they both go careening into the wall of a crypt. The large vampire seems to be getting the best of Buffy until he suddenly turns to dust in front of her. She takes a moment to brush dust from her clothes and looks up, seeing Xander nearby, his head whipping around looking for more vampires.

Buffy: Thanks, Xand.

Xander: Huh?

Willow: (getting up from the ground) I guess that's it. Looks like the rest of them ran off.

Buffy: That's... weird.

Xander: But good. Very good, as they are not the only ones sucking tonight.

Buffy: We did okay. You guys were great!

Willow/Xander: We were?

Buffy: Yeah! Saved my butt a couple of times. See, we don't need the chipped wonder to help us. We can do this all on our own. I think all our hard work warrants celebratory partying at the Bronze. Let's go. I'll buy you both some snackies.

Willow and Xander follow Buffy out of the graveyard, their faces masks of confusion.

Xander: (whispering to Willow) I don't even think I dusted one vamp!

Willow: Me neither.

As they leave the graveyard, we see Spike step around from behind the crypt with a stake in his hand. He's breathing heavily and has a cut on his forehead. He looks like he came through quite a battle. He watches Buffy and the others leave, then looks down at the stake. After a moment, he drops it and walks sadly away.

 

THE NEXT DAY

Buffy is training with Giles.

Buffy: So, they're doing pretty well. I think we should think about training them. You know. Like me.

Giles: Yes. I agree it's a good idea, but you have to understand that they will never match your level of skill and agility.

Buffy: Well, shucks.

Giles: (exasperated) You know what I mean. They're not slayers, Buffy. You can't expect an ordinary human being to be able to take the same kind of abuse you do. And become as strong as you are.

Buffy: I know, but training can't hurt, right? And, I mean, humans can be trained to do amazing things. You're good. You can be all grasshopper and train them to run up walls and fight with ladders and stuff... like Jackie Chan. He's just a human, and he's all old and everything.

Giles: Jackie what?

Buffy rolls her eyes and punches hard at one of Giles' padded hands. Giles yelps in pain.

Buffy: (smiling) Sissy.

 

WILLOW AND TARA'S

Willow: I don't know. When we're just straight patrolling and no magic is involved, I feel like I'm less of a help and more of a... huge, heavy, burdening albatross around their necks. I mean, at least Xander has his Army training. All I do is get in a few good kicks to the shin and then someone else usually has to do the staking. It's embarrassing.

Tara puts a comforting hand on Willow’s shoulder.

Tara: Oh, sweetie. That's not true. I've seen you. You're really in there, fighting the fight. Staking the stakes. Buffy wouldn't ask for your help if she didn't think you could do it. She wouldn't put your safety in jeopardy that way. I almost couldn't believe it the first time I saw you fight. I was really impressed.

Willow: Really?

Tara: Yeah. It was pretty sexy.

Willow: (devilish grin) Really?

Tara: Yeah.

Willow leans in. It looks like she's about to give Tara a kiss, but she suddenly grabs Tara by the shoulders and pushes her roughly down on the bed.

Tara: (pleased) Oooh! Willow.

A newly confident Willow covers Tara's mouth with a deep, passionate kiss.

 

THE BRONZE

Buffy is just hanging out, unwinding after a hard day of training. She's walking toward the dance floor when she notices Spike, moping at the bar. Her eyes bug out. She is astonished at his audacity! She moves up behind him and waits for him to turn around. When he does, his facial expression changes three times in an instant: pleasantly surprised to see her first, then nervous about what she might do to him, then his usual air of cockiness.

Spike: Yeah, I'm here. So what? I'm allowed to be in a public place.

Buffy: No, you're not! I cannot BELIEVE YOU! Do you WANT me to stake you? Is that it? You're suicidal now?

Spike: Look, just because you ripped my heart out and spit on it doesn't mean I'm going to slink away like a sad puppy. I have a lot of reasons to stick around this town. I have an understanding with the owner of the butcher shop near my crypt... uh... the weather is always good here...

Buffy: I am not playing with you, Spike.

He wishes she would. It shows on his face.

Buffy: I meant it when I said I wanted you out of this town.

His grin fades and he takes a deep breath.

Spike: (quietly) I don't have anywhere else to go.

Buffy: Oh, cry me a river, Richard Gere. What about Drusilla, up in L.A., she seemed jazzed to get you back for some reason -- what are you that afraid of Angel?

Spike: I told you. It's over between me and Dru. I've changed, she hasn’t. All she ever talks about is killing and blood and death, death, death. It gives me the creeps!

Buffy reacts to this. She's not sure what he's saying.

Spike: BECAUSE I'm not the same vampire anymore! I don't get off on all that stuff like I used to. I'm coming out, right here and now, as a good guy!

Buffy: Oh, please.

Spike is so frustrated, it's difficult for him to speak.

Spike: (through gritted teeth) Why won't you believe me?

Buffy: Maybe I could have believed you if you hadn't chained me up in your UNDERGROUND LAIR! If you want people to think you're not evil anymore, than maybe you should stick to doing things that, I don't know... AREN'T EVIL!

They are drawing attention from nearby Bronzians. Spike steps closer in so he can speak in hushed tones to Buffy. She leans back a little, but doesn't move her feet.

Spike: I'll admit. I was a little misguided in my attempts to woo…

Buffy: MISGUIDED!

Spike: Will you knock off all the bloody yelling! You're making a scene!

Buffy: Oh, you have SO MUCH nerve…

Their argument is cut off by no less than an earthquake. All around them, the Bronze is a-shakin'. Glass smashes, chairs topple over, people scream, and in the middle of it are Buffy and Spike. He instinctively grabs her to protect her from falling and she does not reject his help. The earthquake dies out quickly, leaving everyone shaken. Buffy and Spike know what it could mean. They both have the same thought and say it out loud.

Buffy/Spike: Oh, crap./Bloody Hell.

 

MAGIC SHOP

Buffy and Spike are standing in front of Giles.

Giles: No, just a regular earthquake. Knocked a few things off the shelves, but luckily Anya forced me to get insurance.

Buffy: So, no world endage is afoot? Seriously?

Giles: (peeved) No, Buffy, it is actually the end of the world. I was just having you on a bit. Clever you.

Buffy: Okay. Jeez. What's with the tension?

Giles avoids Spike's eyes and cocks his head to call Buffy over.

Giles: I thought... well... what is he doing here?

Buffy looks back at Spike, sighs and looks at Giles again.

Buffy: (I'm tired.) I honestly have no idea.

Spike: What? I'm coming to the rescue! I'm the alternate Scoobie, right? I thought the world was ending and you know my policy on that. I don't... want it to.

Giles: But, in light of what's... er... happened... I-I mean, what you... how you... em... feel about Buffy...

This is a very uncomfortable subject for Giles.

Spike: (to Buffy) You told your old man?

Buffy almost looks sheepish.

Spike: Bleedin' Christ! Rejection isn't enough. You have to humiliate me too?

Before Giles or Buffy can respond, Xander, Anya, Willow and Tara come into the shop together. Xander is in the middle of a story.

Xander: So the quake knocked the forklift on him and had him really pinned. Broke his leg in two places. And I was the only one closest to him, so I dug my feet in and lifted that sucker with all my might... and it came right up! Like I was super-human or something.

Willow: I read about that happening before. Crisis situations, adrenaline pumps. Humans can exhibit strength ten times what they're normally capable of. It's pure adrenaline.

Xander: Whatever. The point is, they think I’m a superhero now. It's awesome. I already have this mysterious alter-ego who fights demons at night. I got the whole Clark Kent thing going on. I'm so cool.

Anya: Yes, honey, very cool. (She whispers to Willow) What is 'Clarkent?'

Willow does not respond because she notices Spike standing in the shop, next to Buffy and Giles.

Willow: (confused) Oh, Spike is here. Everything... okay?

Anya: Oh, wow. Talk about a glutton for punishment. In all my years as a vengeance demon I have never seen a man sink this low for a woman's love.

Spike: (mortified) Sod a dog! Don't you bloody rotters keep anything from each other?

Anya: Spike, please, from one ex-demon to another: Have some dignity and walk away. I know losing your power sucks. But at least I held on to a shred of self-respect.

Buffy involuntarily winces at Anya's bluntness.

Spike is furious. He storms up to Anya.

Spike: Don't you dare act like you know what I'm going through because you don't! You've been accepted into this little circle of moral perfection, so don't bloody tell me that you feel my pain!

Xander steps in front of Anya to protect her.

Xander: All right, get away from her.

Spike pushes Xander and barely moves him. Xander pushes Spike back and sends him flying across the room. Everyone is stunned, including Spike, who slowly picks himself up off the floor.

Xander: Whoa! Did you guys see that?

 

MOMENTS LATER

Giles: So, the forklift incident happened after the earthquake?

Xander: Yeah.

Giles: Interesting.

Tara: Maybe that adrenaline thing never wore off?

Giles: Doesn't seem likely.

Anya: Well, you saw what he did to Spike.

Spike: (grumbling) Fluke.

Giles: Xander, come here.

Giles leads Xander into Buffy's training room. The others follow, including a very interested Spike. Giles takes a tarp off of a block of concrete supported between two sawhorses. Xander's eyes go big.

Xander: No way!

Buffy: Giles, you can't expect him to do this, he'll break his hand.

Giles: Well then we'll have a bit more insight into the situation, won't we?

Xander: Hey! You're talking about doing field research at the expense of my tender, and very breakable bones?

Spike: You heard the poofter. He's too tender and weak to break a block of concrete. Why don't you start with something easier for him to break... like a biscuit.

 

Xander seethes at Spike's comment. He brings his hand up and smashes it down into the block, shattering it to smithereens. The gang is even more astonished than before. Giles looks concerned.

Anya: He is a Clarkent!

Tara: Wow!

Buffy: I don't know what this is, but it's great! We can team up! Major Vamp Dusting Action!

Giles: Hang on, hang on, let's everybody calm down. We have to figure out what's causing this, and how long it will last. Xander, I think you should lie low for a while. Not do much of anything. You don't know your own strength and it's possible that you could hurt yourself, or someone else.

Xander: No offense, Giles, but ‘Hell no’. I have been the regular Joe of this group for too long, and now I have all this power and you want me to lie down?

Giles: I said lie low, and…

Xander: I'm ready to patrol! Let's slay some vamps! Maybe I should get a suit or something... like a costume. And maybe a sword.

Buffy: I want a sword!

Xander: No sword for you, you’re a girl.

Buffy slaps Xander on the back of the head.

Buffy: Ow.

Everyone looks at her.

Buffy: What? His head's like a rock or something. I broke a nail. I never break a nail.

Xander: I HAVE THE POWER!!

Anya: Xander. Enough.

Xander calms down, immediately. Giles is on to something.

Giles: This is, of course, only a theory, but all this may have come about as a result of the earthquake today. We'll need to do some research.

He starts pulling books off the shelves.

Spike: I thought you said it was nothing. Just a regular earthquake. Run of the mill and all that. Don't know much about much. Do you, Watcher?

Giles: Spike, if you’re going to help, please do it quietly.

Giles throws a book at Spike. Spike manages to hold on to the book AFTER it smashes into his chest and knocks him back a few steps.

Spike: (after a fit of coughing) OOWWW! I think you broke one of my ribs you git!

Giles pales. Buffy looks from Giles to Spike with fear in her eyes.

Buffy: All right, what the hell is going on?

 

HOURS LATER

Giles is scrutinizing his book.

Tara: So, the earthquake caused a shift in the balance of power.

Xander: And now everyone who had power doesn't and vice versa?

Giles: (still stunned) Exactly.

Buffy: (very nervous) But, for how long? Does that affect me?

Giles: I don't know.

Spike: (terrified) Well FIND OUT! Keep reading! We could be sitting ducks here!

Giles: Look, if all those who had special power have lost it, that means we have nothing to fear. All the demons and vampires, at least in town, have been stripped of all their capabilities. And we humans... have... well... we've never been more safe.

Spike: Yeah, but...

Willow: Spike, why do you care so much? Your power's already been taken away. This shouldn't even affect you.

Spike begins pacing. He wants to say something but he seems to only want to say it to Giles. He makes eye contact with him and Giles moves away from the group, curious. Spike looks into Giles' eyes, deadly serious.

Spike: I have to go to the bathroom.

Some of the group overhears this and they try to hide their giggles. Buffy looks to her shoes.

Giles looks disgusted and confused.

Spike: You don't understand. I haven't had to go to the bathroom in 100 years.

Realization dawns on Giles. On Buffy too. She whips around to look at him. Spike meets her eyes. He walks up to her slowly, panting just a little from the excitement of the situation. They are face to face. Everyone around is watching. Something is about to happen here. Spike reaches out to Buffy, and pinches her on the arm.

Buffy: Ow!!

Spike: OW!!!

Giles: The chip is not gone, if that's what you're thinking. You may have become human because your super power has already been taken away once. You've gone a step further and actually become human. But you still can't hurt any other humans.

Spike: I-I'm a human?

 

BUFFY'S HOUSE - THE NEXT DAY

Spike is breathing rather heavily. We see that he isn't doing anything more strenuous than sitting in a chair.

Buffy: You're concentrating too hard. Stop thinking about your breathing and just do it.

Spike: I can't. It's weird. I hate it. Stupid earthquake.

Buffy: Quit it already with the whining. What do you want to do?

Spike: Well, after I pee, for the 2Oth time this hour...

Buffy laughs.

Spike: You think this is funny? Do you know how awful it feels to be human?

Buffy: Uh... yeah?

Spike: It's horrid!

Buffy: Oh, give me a break! You think you've got it rough? Look at me! I've been benched! My newly amped up watcher and friends are out fighting off the bad super-humans and I'm stuck here listening to you breathe.

Spike: And my entire bloody world has just turned upside-down and back to front! I mean, I'm gonna die!

Buffy: Will you stop being such a drama queen?

Spike: No, I mean, I'm really gonna die.

Buffy: Not for a long time, though.

Spike: How do you know? I could die in the next few hours. You don't know. I could have a brain aneurysm or get meningitis or something and go the long slow death route. Human bodies are disgusting. And they deteriorate!

Buffy: Spike, you're young, healthy and in perfect shape. All you have to do is give up smoking, and...

Spike: Give up smoking? You must be daft! That's the only thing I have left.

Buffy: Of what? Your cool, bad boy image? Please, you are so beyond that, now.

Spike: What's that supposed to mean? What are you saying, that I've turned into a bloody ponce as well?

Buffy: No, because I don't SAY bloody or ponce. But, you're... you know, all soft in the center. And now that you're human...

Spike: I just don't understand you. You told me not 48 hours ago that I was still evil. And now what? You've changed your mind?

Buffy: No, not really... but... you're... you seem different, that's all.

Spike: You're racist.

Buffy: WHAT?

Spike: I was exactly the same when I was a vampire. But now that I'm human I'm worthy of your love now.

Buffy: Okay, I never said ANYTHING about love.

Spike: Oh, knock it off, Slayer. No one's around to be impressed. You know and I know what... we know.

Buffy: (shaky) I don't know what you're talking about. I think all the breathing is making you light headed.

Spike watches her for a minute, and Buffy can't handle the pressure. Her eyes drop to the floor. Spike smiles as he slips out of his chair and crawls over to her. He kneels on the floor next to her and runs his hand over her knees and rests it on her hip. She jumps slightly, but makes no attempt to move away. Slowly, he rises on his knees, so their faces are an inch apart. Buffy is now the one breathing heavily. He's going to kiss her. She wants him to kiss her. When their lips are a centimeter apart.

Spike: See, I told you. You would never let me kiss you if I were still a vampire.

Buffy blinks a few times, in shock, then comes the fury and she pushes Spike away as hard as she can without her Slayer power.

Buffy: You... UGH!

Spike sits back on his legs, giggling.

Buffy: (hurt) I wasn't going to let you kiss me anyway. I was waiting for you to get close enough for me to... do some damage. You're such a jerk. Being human hasn't cured you of that. That's for damn sure.

Spike moves in, takes her face gently and stops her mouth with a deep, sweet kiss.

They break apart after a few minutes. As they do, Buffy cries out.

Buffy: Oooh God!

Spike seems worried.

Spike: I-I'm sorry. I... didn't...

Buffy grabs Spike by his shirt and yanks him into another kiss. This time, she pulls him on top of her on the sofa. Before things get to heavy, Buffy pulls away.

Buffy: Wait.

Spike: No.

He moves to kiss her again.

Buffy: No, I have to say this.

Spike whimpers a bit but sits up to give her some room to get whatever she needs to get off her chest.

Buffy: First of all... wow. Way better than I imagined. YES! I imagined, but keep quiet till the end. Second of all, you're wrong. I would have probably let you kiss me even if you were still a vampire...

Spike starts to protest.

Buffy: Eventually. I know you would have worn me down... but it was never okay. And, I had to pretend, well, not pretend, but to make myself not think of you that way. Because, it could never work. Do you understand? I know what you're going to say, but Angel and I didn't live happily ever after and there's a reason for that. I just didn't want to get into that situation again.

Spike: But you still wanted me?

Buffy: Of course, you idiot. Have you looked at yourself lately?

Spike: I can now.

Buffy: (smiling) So you see my point.

Spike: (suddenly very serious) But what if this transference of power thingie wears off or reverses and everything goes back to the way it was?

Buffy: Do you want it to?

Spike: I don't know.

Buffy: Me either.

A beat of silence. Then, Buffy reaches over and takes his hand.

Buffy: Look, we can ponder over the things that haven't happened yet another day. All this discussing is cutting into our making out time. I say we forget about all the other stuff and seize the now. With me?

Spike is a little surprised by this. After a moment, he smiles.

Spike: Oh, baby. I'm with you.

He pulls her into a steamy kiss.

 

THE END OF THE BEGINNING

 

Back to Authors G-L

Back to Fan Fiction