"Mrs. Rupert Giles"

Author: Holly
Email: trbl@one.net
Notes: The only things I know about the Immigration Dept, are things I've seen on TV, so whatever is wrong, I apologize for. Be assured it done out of ignorance. I tried to be Net Girl, but I'm no Willow.


Buffy was in the Library, training with Wesley. She was less than enthusiastic. Not only was Angel gone, but Giles the dependable was nowhere to be found. He wasn't here. He practically lived here. And, he wasn't at his house. She had called. With Giles, there just weren't that many places he could be. Buffy didn't want to admit it, but she was worried. Almost worried enough to ask Wesley again, what he knew. Due to her extreme distraction, Wesley managed to get in under her guard and whack her on the side of her head.

She looked at him, furious. He took a step back, and she took a calming breath and spoke, "Wesley, where's Giles?"

"I told you. He said he had an appointment. That's all he said."

"Not even a hint as to...?" She was interrupted as the Library doors flew open. Giles stormed in, and went immediately to his office and slammed the door so hard the hinges rattled. Buffy and Wesley exchanged wary looks. She broke the silence, "that's new. Do you think we should...?"

"No," he replied firmly. "He did not appear to be in the mood to share."

Buffy hated to admit that Wesley was right. But she was at a loss, she had never seen Giles like that. Not even when Ethan was around. "I think we should probably leave. Just for a little while, give him some privacy."

"Agreed," said Wesley. Buffy left a short note for Giles, explaining that would be back later, and that she hoped he was feeling better. She and Wesley left.

A little over twenty minutes later, Giles came out of his office. He found the note. He hadn't even realized that they had been here. He started to pace, trying to think of a way out of this mess.

That's how Buffy and her Slayerettes found him, pacing around the Library. Buffy and Willow went straight to him. Buffy spoke first. "Giles? Are you all right? Is there any thing you need?'

Then Willow, "Buffy said that you seemed really upset about something. Angry?"

He rested a hand on each girls shoulder. "Yes. I was...am very angry. Buffy I'm terribly sorry about earlier." He hesitated. "Perhaps you should all sit down."

"That bad, huh?" Said Xander with his usual insight.

Giles didn't speak until everyone was seated. He spared a look at Wesley, and a longer one at Buffy. Then he took a deep breath and spoke. "My Green Card is being revoked." They looked at him blankly. Except Wesley, who understood just how serious that was. "My status as a resident alien. The Card allows me to be in this country. The Watchers Council has withdrawn their support. There is no need, as far as our respective governments are concerned, for my continued presence here."

"They can't do that!"

"Buffy, they can, and they have." Her eyes looked at him as if he'd betrayed her. "Buffy, I never said I was leaving you. Merely that officially I can't stay. I may have to leave officially. But I'll not stay away. You have my word."

"How will you manage?" Asked Wesley.

"Well, I thought I'd start with a long talk with Angel. You'll not convince me that he has a Green Card. Then I officially go home, and obtain alternate transport back."

"You'll not be able to find a decent job without papers. You know that."

"I'll manage." He answered Wesley firmly.

"Maybe there's another way. Don't you just need to convince them that you offer something unique?" Said Willow.

"Like what?" Asked Cordelia. "He can't just go and say, 'hi, I'm an Ex-Watcher to the Vampire Slayer. I really need to stay in this county.' That would really get him deported." The others just looked at her. "What? Oh that tact thing again, right? Look, I don't want Giles to leave, either. He is important, and we all know that. I'm just saying that, he'll never be able to convince 'them' of it." She looked thoughtful . "Of course, he could always marry an American citizen. That's what they do in the movies. Too bad you're not dating anyone Giles."

"Oh!"

"Yes Xander?"

"We could hire someone. You know, to marry you."

"I see. Let suppose for a moment that I would marry such a person. How exactly do we explain things to her? Also, I believe that we need to convince Immigration that it's a 'real' marriage. That would entail cohabitaion, and a certain about of knowledge about each other. If I tell her the truth, we're all in danger. If I don't the she most certainly would be." He stopped there, having made his point.

"Oh." He thought again. "Then it would have to be someone who already knows." Encouraged by the fact that no one had dismissed this out of hand, he continued. "Who do we know, that knows, and might be willing?"

Willow got a pad and pen for a list. They all sat for a minute, no one speaking. Then Willow spoke. "Giles, name some women that you know." She looked at him expectantly. He drew a breath to speak, then let it out.

"Bloody hell. I....." He sat down, realizing that the only females he knew any more were the girls. And, of course, Joyce. He surpressed a shudder. After the whole Band Candy incident, he and she couldn't even be in the same room. She was not an option. He caught Buffy's expression and realized that she had the same thought.

Oz, who had been his usual quiet self spoke up. "You really only know us, and that Ethan guy. Here, anyway. Right?" At, Giles' embarrassed nod, he continued. "Then, if that's the way we're going, it will have to be one of the girls. They all know the situation. And it wouldn't be forever,  just until immigration gives you citizenship."

Wesley spoke, "are you willing to give up British citizenship?"

"I hadn't thought that far ahead. Would I have to?"

"Leave that to the Net Girl." Willow moved to the computer, while the others exchanged nervous looks. One of them marry Giles? He just sat there with his eyes closed, thoughts in turmoil. Finally, Willow returned.

"Based on what I've found, you shouldn't have to give up your British citizenship. But you would probably have to return there for several months a year to retain it. You could just have resident alien status indefinately. If that's what you want." Now they were all sitting akwardly, trying not to be the first to say anything.

"Well, nobody even needs to look at me. No offense Giles, but I would never marry you, even for a little while."

"Cordelia, you've broken my heart." He replied dryly. The others just rolled their eyes. Then one by one everyone except Giles looked at Buffy. She felt their eyes, and hers widened. Her mouth opened, then shut. He was staying for her. How selfish was she that she would ask one of her friends to do what she wasn't willing to do. Her shoulders slumped. She nodded. Giles followed everyones stare, and spoke firmly. "Absolutely not." Her head came up, happy for the reprieve then oddly hurt. "We'll find another way. Perhaps Ethan knows someone who could...."

"I would not trust Ethan, or anyone he recommends."

"Buffy," he said gently. "There aren't a lot of options."

"No." She was adamant. "If we can't come up with someone, or something better, then...I'll do it." She said the last in a rush.

Wesley sputtered. "Absolutely not. I forbid it." Buffy's chin came up and her eyes flashed.

"Bloody hell, man. Why didn't you just offer to give her away?" Giles was acerbic. He realized that Wesley had just sealed their fate. Knowing Buffy, nothing would change her mind now. And he knew that there was no way he could live with her, and not show himself to be the worst kind of fool.


Buffy felt oddly calm now that she had made her decision. She found the fact that Giles seemed quite reluctant strangely insulting. She knew that he was fond of her. And it wasn’t like it would be a real marriage.

The funny part was that Wesley and Xander seemed to be in complete agreement as to the complete unacceptability of such a marriage. They’d gone on for a good twenty minutes about what a bad plan it was. But neither had been able to come up with anything better. When Wesley had said something about telling the Council, Giles had the same expression that Buffy had when she had been "forbidden" to marry Giles by Wesley. Wesley, who was not stupid, let it drop right there. It was up to him to talk them out of it. He needed to talk to Giles, appeal to his common sense. Although Wesley wasn’t convinced such a thing existed where Buffy was concerned. If it had, Giles would still be a Watcher in good standing, not the outcast rebel he now was. Of course, the way he’d heard the story from Cordelia, Buffy would most likely be dead. Wesley looked at Buffy, sitting there, quietly letting the chatter go on around her. That would be a waste. She may be difficult, and contrary, but she really was an excellent Slayer. Or she would be long dead by now, being on the Hellmouth.

Giles spoke. "Let it go for today. Everyone, go on and enjoy the day. Buffy, if you’d stay?" She nodded. Wesley breathed a sigh of relief. He could tell by the tone that Giles was going to try to nip this in the bud. Although, having gotten to know Buffy, he wasn’t sure even Giles could convince her of the inadvisability of this marriage.

After everyone had left, Giles moved to sit next to Buffy. "As much as I’m loath to admit it, Wesley is right. You are far too young to be tied to an old man. However temporary. Have you really thought about the consequences?

"Giles, school’s out, you don’t plan to work here come fall anyway. I’m eighteen. The friends I care about will be…if not supportive, then at least they understand. Even Xander will come around. He doesn’t want you to leave either. If you can say that you have a better idea, then we can let this drop. No offense, but I don’t want to get married, not to anyone. But you’re my Watcher. Also, I couldn’t ask Willow to do it. She has Oz. It wouldn’t be right to ask them to be on hold. Cordelia, even if she hadn’t stated firmly that she wouldn’t marry you, has Wesley. Wouldn’t be right. Anya has Xander. Sort of. And Amy has Michael. I have no one." She shrugged. There was no self-pity, just a plain stating of facts. Giles felt the familiar tightening in his chest.

"Buffy, you may be alone right now, but that won’t be always. You’ll find some nice young chap, and be quite happy."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart. You’ll find someone. But they may be put off if you’re married to an old man."

"One- you are not old. You’re not young, but that doesn’t make you old. Well- seasoned, maybe." He smiled. "Two-I’m not ready right now for ‘someone’. Three-if I’m ‘with’ you; I won’t really be alone. Four-who else is there? We know each other well enough to fool those Immigration guys like they do on TV." At his puzzled look she continued, "you know. That we actually live together, and know each other. Are really married." She was starting to get upset. She didn’t know how she had come to be talking him into this. He saw this, and every argument he might have had went right out the window. He didn’t know what to say to make it right. He didn’t want her hurt.

"Ah. ‘Actually live together’," he asked. She nodded. Then she got an odd look.

"Have you ever lived with someone?" She was surprised to see him blush.

"Well…umm…yes. Back in my Ripper days…." He trailed off, not really wanting to say anything more. That was a situation that he really did not want to explain to Buffy. "Are you quite certain that you understand what that would entail? We’d share a bathroom, a kitchen, there’s only the one bedroom." He stopped, shocked at how that sounded. "You’d have the bed, of course. But that is where the closet is. And the dresser, and such. It would be fairly…intimate." He hesitated over the word. He didn’t want to scare her, but he did not want to mislead her either. This would be no game.

She nodded. "It will be awkward. But, Giles. It’s us. We’ve faced the worst that the Hellmouth has thrown at us. I’ve been dead. Living with you would be a piece of cake. Of course, if you ask my mom, living with me won’t be."

"That’s another consideration, Buffy. Your mother. What will you tell her?"

"The truth. It’ll be loud. But…she’ll come around. Eventually."

"I’m not so certain of that. You talk to her. If you can bring her around, then you and I will talk again. If not…it’s not an option."

"Giles, I’m eighteen."

"It wouldn’t matter if you were twenty-five. A rift between you and Joyce is out of the question." She nodded. He always tried to look out for her. Couldn’t he let her look out for him, for once?

"Yes dear," she said demurely, but with her eyes twinkling wickedly.

"Excellent. Now you’re getting the idea. Keep that up and this might work."

She couldn’t help but laugh at him. He had said it with such a straight face. "Boy, you’re in trouble, if that’s the kind of wife you’re looking for. I don’t think they make those anymore." She bit her lip. "What kind of wife are you looking for?"

"I’m not. That is, looking for a wife. Buffy, I never expected to marry and have a family. I was a Watcher. Families get hurt." She nodded her understanding.

"Well, I’d better go. You know Willow and the others are waiting outside for me." He smiled in rueful agreement.

Later that night, Buffy tried to find a way to talk to her mother, but it was difficult. <Mom, I’m moving in with Giles, but it’s okay ‘cause we’ll be married. It’s just so that he can stay in this country though. And we won’t be really married. Oh, yeah. Mom’ll go for that one. Am I too old to be grounded? > As she ran through some possible ways to convince her Mom, she realized that she actually wanted to do this. Not because she wanted to marry Giles. But the whole idea of being able to something for Giles, after all that he had done, and given up for her, gave her a warm glow. She didn’t have to be a brain surgeon to pull this off. She only had to convince her Mom. And Giles. And Immigration. Scary that Immigration would be the easy part.

This afternoon, she had talked to Willow, who was oddly supportive of the idea. Maybe she was just glad it wasn’t going to be her. And she knew that if Willow were cool with it, then Oz would be. Anya couldn’t care less. And Cordelia wasn’t agreeing with Wesley. She didn’t want Giles to leave. Which was kind of weird, but he had saved her life. And, apparently, visited her in the hospital after that whole Willow/Xander kissing incident. That had surprised Buffy, that Giles would visit Cordelia. Then she realized, Cordelia is still one of "his" children.

That thought led her back to the conversation with Giles. He had resigned himself to never having kids. And that was a shame, because she’d bet he be great with them. She kind of had a goofy grin imagining him with a small baby. Would he even know how to hold one properly? Knowing him, he’d read every baby book, and drive his wife crazy with it. But she knew that no father would love his child more.

That night, Buffy had the oddest dream. She could see Giles and he was walking across a room, holding a very small baby. Buffy knew instinctively that the baby was a girl. The expression on Giles’ face as he gazed at the baby was an amazing mixture of awe, joy and love. Buffy awoke, and was not surprised to find tears leaking from her eyes. She lay there for a moment, then rolled over and went back to sleep.

The next morning, Buffy walked into the kitchen. She got some juice and sat down across from her Mom. Joyce looked up from her paper. "Good morning, Honey. Did you sleep well?"

"Mostly. No bad dreams." Buffy took a drink of her juice, then took a deep breath. "Mom," she began. "We need to talk." Joyce looked at Buffy in trepidation. "No, nothing Hellmouthy. No prophecy of death and destruction." Joyce let out the breath she had been holding. "But, I… I don’t really know how to say this. They’re trying to make Giles leave."

"Honey, they’ve tried that before. Mr. Giles wouldn’t leave." Joyce felt pretty confident about that.

"Not by choice, no. But they’re the government, not the Council. They’re revoking his Green Card. He…he doesn’t have a lot of choices."

"Oh, my. What is he going to...? No." The usually oblivious Joyce had known intuitively where this conversation was headed. "That’s impossible."

"Why?"

"Buffy, you’re barely eighteen. He’s forty-something. It will never work. No."

"Mom. It’s only for Immigration. We can fool them."

"No."

Buffy looked at her mother, eyes sad. She didn’t want to play her trump card, but hadn’t been able to find another way. "All right, Mom. I’ll tell Giles to start packing. Of course, without him, I won’t last very long." She looked at her mother, completely serious.

Joyce could only gasp at the brutality of Buffy’s words. "That’s not…."

"Fair?" Buffy finished for her. "No, it’s not. But it’s true. If it weren’t for Giles, I’d be dead. Once he’s gone…." She stopped, and just looked at her mother. The ball was in her court.

Joyce shook her head. "Don’t do this."

"Mom, Giles said that causing a rift between you and I was not an option. He’d rather leave than for that to happen. Mom, can you imagine how much safer I’ll be? And you’ll be. I’m a target. Living here makes you a target. I have nightmares about that. And Giles will look out for me. His place isn’t far from here. I’d visit you a lot, so that you could see that everything is okay. I promise." She looked at her Mom, who was staring at her blankly. "Mom? Did you…?"

"I heard you, Honey. I was just thinking about… never mind. You really feel like you need to do this. Is he pressuring you?"

"God, Mom, no. He’s actually pretty opposed to the whole idea. But, like I said, there really aren’t any other…options. Who else does he know…? Just us. And I don’t see the two of you being able to…." Joyce gave an involuntary shudder, and shook her head emphatically ‘no’. "I really don’t…mind. He’s done so much for me. He’s staying for me. This is not too much for him to ask. Not that he asked." She finished ruefully.

"Buffy…." She stopped whatever she had been about to say. "I’m not happy about this. But, I understand why you think you need to do it. You do realize that if Immigration doesn’t go for this, he’ll be in real trouble." Buffy nodded slowly. "Well then, what do you want me to do?"

"Really?"

"Against my better judgement, yes, really."

"Mom!" Buffy threw her arms around her mother and hugged the stuffing out of her.

Later that morning, she walked into the Library. She was smiling brightly. Giles and Wesley exchanged long looks. Buffy spoke. "Giles, do you have a few minutes?"

"Of course." She followed him into his office, and shut the door behind her. Once they were both seated, she met his nervous gaze.

"Mom is on board." Giles couldn’t keep the surprise off of his face.

"How?"

"I just explained it to her calmly, rationally. She understands. Don’t misunderstand, she’s not thrilled. But she understands." She paused to let him absorb this.

"I never thought that she’d…." He trailed off.

"I know. She kind of surprised me, too. Who would have believed it?"

"Not I."

Buffy took a deep breath. "So, now what?"

"I…I’m not certain. We don’t have a great deal of time."

"Maybe we should go tell the guys?" He nodded reluctantly.

Their reactions were pretty much what one would have expected. They ranged from shocked disbelief to stunned relief. Willow was the first to speak. "So… you guys are going to get married?" They both nodded. "Wow. Um, when?"

"We really hadn’t got that far. Soon, or it won’t really matter." They all nodded.

Xander spoke up. "Hey! Let’s all go to Vegas." Complete silence. "Come on. It’ll be fun. You could be married by an Elvis impersonator." He really thought that this was a great idea.

Buffy and Giles exchanged looks. His clearly said that it was up to her. Since this was the first sign that Xander might be coming around, she decided that it might be a good idea to go along with it. Also, there was a weird logic to his idea. In Vegas they wouldn’t need to get blood samples and all the other red tape. "Okay, but I draw the line at an Elvis impersonator. Just a nice normal…what Justice of the Peace?"

With that it was settled.


They spent the rest of that afternoon and the next getting organized for the wedding. Cordelia with her usual tact asked, "do we have to buy gifts? It’s not like they’re really getting married."

Surprisingly, it was Wesley who answered. "Yes, actually, we should. It would look rather odd if we didn’t purchase wedding gifts."

"Of course." Cordelia was disgruntled. Wesley smiled at her.

"Perhaps you and I could...collaborate? If you'll pick it out I'll...."

"Great," she said happily, latching onto his arm. "Now?" He nodded and they left together. The others followed suit. Leaving Buffy and Giles to contact the Immigration Department.

Giles called Mr. Corwin of Immigration, and told him about the wedding. Mr. Corwin gave him a very sobering speech about fraud. Giles was able to assure him that he loved the woman {that much was true}. When Mr. Corwin asked for more information, Giles told him the mixture of truth and lies that he and Buffy had concocted. That they had known each other for a while {true}, had been talking about marriage for a short while {okay a couple of days, small lie} and had pushed the date forward {beyond lie}. Mr. Corwin asked when the happy day was and Giles gave him the details.

After he had hung up, he met Buffy's eyes. She rested her hand on his shoulder, "Giles, it's going to be fine." She gazed at him, head tilted to one side. "Should I call you Rupert?"

"I don't think that you can say it and sound natural. So you'd better not."

She grinned, "yes, dear."

His green eyes were alight with laughter; "you're starting getting the hang of that."

"Euw," said Cordelia from the doorway. They both turned to face her. "We're all here," she continued. "I think it's time." They nodded.

"Buffy," said Giles, after Cordelia had left. "If you're having second thoughts...."

"I'm not," she said firmly. "This is the right thing to do."

"Very well, then," he reached into his jacket pocket and came out with a small jewelry box. When he opened it, Buffy gasped. Nestled inside was a wedding band set. The engagement ring was silver with a marquis cut sapphire, surrounded by small diamonds. The bride’s band was plain silver, as was the groom’s. He took out the engagement ring. "These belonged to my Grandparents."

"Giles, I can’t…."

"Buffy, we need rings, and I have rings. Would you prefer to buy rings?"

"Well, no, but… I hate it when you’re right." She held her left hand out, and he with only the slightest hesitation, placed the ring on her third finger. She didn’t notice that his hand had shaken. She held her hand up to the light, then with an impish grin at Giles, started counting. She made it to five when Cordelia walked in. Buffy said quietly to Giles, "her jewelry radar went off." He covered his mouth as he laughed, but he couldn't contain it.

Hearing Giles’ laughter the others came to crowd around the door. They saw Giles laughing, Buffy grinning, and Cordelia holding Buffy’s hand turning it this way and that in the light.

"Wow, Buffy, it’s beautiful." Said Cordelia enviously. "Giles, you picked this out?" She was very dubious.

"No, Cordelia, it belonged to my Grandmother Giles."

"She had good taste."

"Yes," he agreed.

Willow and Joyce came over to look with Cordelia, and Anya felt a strange compulsion to go and see it also. The women were gathered around Buffy now. The men, at a loss, just stood there. Finally Wesley spoke up. "I think perhaps we should go."

"Yes," agreed Giles.

They had already packed the cars with the necessities for an overnight stay in Las Vegas. Wesley, not surprisingly, was riding with Cordelia, Xander with Anya; Giles rode with Oz and Willow, and Buffy with her Mom.

They all stopped for a rowdy dinner on the way, then were once again on the road. They arrived at a little after 11:00pm. At Willows request, they were getting married at midnight, as she didn’t want them to have the bad luck that comes from seeing the bride before the wedding on the day of the wedding. Willow figured that enough could go wrong without pushing their luck. No one could argue with that. They got checked in and Buffy went to her Mom’s room to get ready. Willow, Cordelia and Anya came to help. Even though they all knew that this was a sham, they couldn’t help getting caught up in the excitement.

Giles and the other men stood in the chapel that Xander had chosen. As Giles looked around he decided that it was all right, not gaudy, as he had feared. Then the door opened and Joyce came in; Cordelia, then Willow carrying a small sprig of wildflowers followed her, and went to stand next to Oz. Finally Buffy came through on Wesley’s arm. Giles turned to look and his breath caught. Staring at her he looked stunned. She was wearing a cream colored knee-length dress. The color made her skin look even more golden than usual. Her hair was swept up from her neck. Giles couldn’t seem to catch his breath. Mr. Corwin, from where he stood next to the door, just watched silently. He saw the bride (he had to admit that she was lovely) smile warmly at the groom as she reached his side. The tall young man standing next to the groom looked quite overwhelmed by the bride. He saw the groom swallow, then take the brides hand. Looking around, Mr. Corwin noticed that except for the stand-in father-of-the-bride, the mother-of-the bride and the groom, everyone was quite young.

The wedding official gaped at the bride, then said, "Honey, whatever he’s paying you, you could double in two nights here."

The groom took a second to realize what had been said then stepped toward the man, and hissed, "you had best watch what you say to her, you pillock." The bride grabbed her groom by the arm. He looked down at her, then back at the official.

Whatever the official saw on Mr. Giles’ face, caused him to swallow nervously and nod. The groom stepped back into position, and the wedding proceeded. When it came time to say their vows, they both spoke in very clear tones. The rings were exchanged, and the official, now sweating nervously, announced that they were husband and wife. "You may now kiss the bride."

Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise. She had forgotten about that part. Giles cupped her face and leaned down. She closed her eyes, trusting him, as his lips captured hers. The kiss was tender and loving, yet not demanding. Unconsciously, she leaned into him, and wrapped her arms around his waist. When he broke the kiss, he looked down at her, and smiled.

Later, at the party, Buffy and Giles sat together, opening their gifts. Joyce had got them a microwave, knowing that Giles didn’t have one. Wesley and Cordelia had gotten them a set of cappuccino cups, saucers and little plates. Buffy laughed, and even Giles grinned. Willow and Oz had gotten them a matching set of place mats, napkins, and napkin rings. Xander had gotten them "his" and "hers" bath towels. But, Anya had surprised them all, with her gift of a crystal picture frame.

Taking in their surprise, she spoke defensively. "What? The woman at the store said it was traditional." Buffy hastened to reassure her.

"No, Anya, it perfect, and lovely. I guess we need a picture now." Oz stepped forward with a camera.

"You two should stand up." They did so, and Giles placed an arm around Buffy and drew her to him. Oz looked at them and said, "say cheese." He snapped the picture as they obeyed.

Wesley stepped forward with a glass of champagne and said, "May I propose a toast?" As everyone raised their glasses, mostly soda’s, he continued, "Mr. and Mrs. Rupert Giles." Everyone repeated it and drank. Wesley handed Giles a glass of the champagne.

Giles raised his glass, "To the best of friends." He took a cautious sip. Not bad, Wesley had hidden skills.

Mr. Corwin saw Buffy try to take it from Mr. Giles for a sip, but he held it out of her reach and laughed at her. She said something to him, and he grinned at her, then spoke, "all right, but just a sip."

She laughed up at him, "yes, dear." He murmured something and she grinned up at him again. Mr. Corwin had to admit that if it was a hoax it was a damn good one. The bride and groom were very comfortable together, and showed every sign of affection. Not to mention Mr. Giles’ very real reaction to the wedding official’s insult to the bride.

Mr. Corwin stepped over to them. "Congratulations, Mr. Giles, Mrs. Giles." Buffy smiled as she realized that he meant her. "I believe that I’ll be going, now. Please remember that we can visit at any time, and that you will have interviews later." With that final warning, he left.

"Whew," said Xander after he left. "I didn’t think he’d ever leave. Seemed nice enough, though. Now what?"

"Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but Wesley and I are heading down to the casino," said Cordelia.

Joyce spoke, "Cordelia, you do realize that you have to be 21 to gamble?"

Cordelia nodded. "Living on the Hellmouth is enough of a gamble. I just want to be where all that money is changing hands. Come on Wesley." And they left. Willow and Oz went to their room, and Xander and Anya decided to wander around Vegas, and see if they could find an Elvis impersonator. That left Buffy, her mother and Giles. They sat, looking awkwardly at each other. Finally, Joyce crossed to the door. She took one last final look at Buffy, another at Giles, and then a long look at the room’s double bed. She hugged Buffy and left. Buffy spoke as soon as the door had closed. "That was weird." But Giles didn’t agree.

"I thought she handled this surprisingly well. I had rather expected her to speak up during the ceremony to stop it."

"You too? I thought it was just me." She smiled at him, then clearly at a loss, looked around the room that they would be sharing. "She seemed very disturbed by the bed, Giles."

"Hmmm?" He responded, absently, apparently engrossed in setting the alarm.

"The bed." She looked at him. "I know we discussed it, but…it seemed to bother her."

"Yes. If you’d rather go to her room…or I can go to…."

"No," she interrupted. "That Corwin guy could be lurking around. We can do this." She looked at him, eyes huge. "Right?"

"Absolutely." She sighed in relief. "You go ahead and take the bathroom first."

"Thanks," she said as she gathered her things. Several minutes later she emerged, wearing her pajamas. He was sitting in a chair surveying the gifts. He had a peculiar expression on his face. "Your turn." He nodded, and rose.

He entered the bathroom, and her things were there. It was odd to him. He had lived alone a long time. And now…

When he came back out, Buffy was already in the bed. She had taken the side he usually slept on. He decided not to say anything about it and got into the bed. They lay there for a few minutes, stiffly, not at all comfortable. Finally Buffy broke the awkward silence, "Giles, do you snore?" She teased.

"I-I …probably," he admitted with a grin, just before he shut off his light.

"Great," she said. He could hear the smile in her voice.

When he woke the next morning, they were both in the middle of the bed, and he was pressed up against her back, spoon fashion. He gently disengaged himself from her warm body, and went to take a very cold shower. She woke up shortly thereafter, because she was cold. He came back out, towel drying his hair, wearing a robe. She sat up and stretched, then headed in to the bathroom for her shower. They were supposed to meet the others downstairs for breakfast, so they dressed and went.

When they joined the others at the breakfast buffet, everyone was staring at Xander in awe. His plate was heaped, and apparently this was not his first helping. After breakfast they left, Giles riding with Buffy and Joyce. At Giles' place, Joyce lingered for a few minutes outside, then reluctantly left.


As Joyce pulled away, Giles unlocked the door to his...their place, and scooped Buffy up in his arms; startled, she threw her arms around him for balance, and asked, "what...oh. Carrying me across the threshold. D'uh. Do you think they're watching?"

He gave her a startled look as he put her down gently. "No, actually, I don't. To quote Anya, 'it's tradtional'."

"Oh," was all she said as he went out to retrieve their luggage and gifts. He led her upstairs, and they started to settle their things. They had already moved the majority of her things before they left, including her dresser and an amoire for his clothes, now that she had taken over his closet.

They got it all situated and Giles fixed dinner. After dinner they sat, mostly quiet, as Giles read and Buffy did her nails.

Bedtime found them awkwardly laying side-by-side in Giles' big bed. Finally, they fell asleep, and in the morning, Giles awoke cuddled up to Buffy's back in the center of the bed. Again. He went to take his cold shower. Also, again.

This set the pattern for the days ahead. They cooked, they cleaned, they did the grocery shopping, they did laundry (which wigged Buffy out the first time she was folding clothes and came across his boxers. She didn't even want to think about his reaction to her underthings.). They shared a bathroom. Which Buffy discovered was almost as intimate as sharing a bed. Which they did at night. And in the morning, Giles took a cold shower.

Mr. Corwin contacted them about their interviews, which they aced. They were a little surprised actually at just how well they did know each other. And even if Giles couldn't name the brand of shampoo Buffy used, he certainly knew the smell of it. And he didn't realize how his expression softened when he talked about her. When it was her turn to talk to them she didn't miss a beat, no matter how personal the question. She was, after all, used to telling Giles everything; from her dreams to her monthly cycle.And again, there was genuine affection in her voice when she talked about Giles. She giggled when discussing his little foibles. Mr. Corwin also dropped by unexpectantly a few times. He was unfailingly polite and respectful.

It was about six weeks after their wedding that Buffy woke up first. This was due to the warm hand gently kneading her left breast, and a long leg thrown across her lower half. As she woke more fully, she also became aware of something hard pressing against her hip. She looked up at his face. Sound asleep. <now what?> She hesitated, then gently rolled him off of her onto his back. Her eyes were drawn inevitably to his groin. Her eyes widened and she swallowed audibly.

She bit her lower lip, and searched his face for any signs of wakefulness. She stared at his erection; battling with her curiousity. It won, and she reached out a tenative hand. She ran her fingers gently down his hard length. He sighed in his sleep, and she froze.

After reassuring herself that he wasn't waking up, she cupped him. He moved into her hand and made a low sound, half moan and half purr. Encouraged, she moved her hand up and down. He mumbled something in his sleep but the only thing she could make out was her name. She clearly heard him say "Buffy" as he thrust against her hand. She gasped and jerked away as if burnt.

Her eyes flew to his face in shock. He was dreaming about her? And got that way? <Whoa!> That knowledge , combined with her own growing arousal, made her bold. As she reached out and encircled him through his pajamas, he moaned and she felt an answering thrill down low. Her hand tightened convulsivly around him, and his eyes flew open.

She released him immediately. Still not certain that he wasn't still dreaming, it took him a minute to speak. When he did, his voice was husky from sleep and arousal. "Buffy? What in the hell are you doing?" He demanded.

"I-I...well, you see...it's...well. I'm not sure, really. I was...well...curious, I guess, and...well, I'm sorry. I just hadn't thought about you...and..well..that," she said with a gesture at his erection. "I was..well...surprised, and....well...I was curious."

"You said that."

"Well...I am sorry. It was thoughtless. I shouldn't have...touched you." She was shocked to see his erection twitch when she said "touched you."

"Thoughtless is the least of what it was, Buffy." He said sternly. She hung her head. He saw this and relented. "Let's just move on, shall we?" She nodded, grateful, and he left to take his shower. His cold shower she now realized.

<Poor Giles. Forced to take a cold shower. Because of me> She was embarrassed that it excited her that he had been that way because of her.

That night, Buffy woke up from a disturbing dream. She didn't think it was prophetic, but it had bothered her. She scooted toward Giles for reassurance and warmth. That's when she realized that she was all the way on his side of the bed, and he wasn't there. <must be researching> she thought sleepily. In the morning he woke her up after his shower as usual, so she thought no more about it; until it happened again.

In fact, the next several nights were the same. She slept restlessly, and woke from vaguely disturbing dreams alone in the bed. On the fifth night, she got out of the bed and went in search of him. She found him sleeping on the living room couch. His clothes were layed neatly across the back of a chair, he had a pillow cuddled to his bare chest, and the crocheted cover thrown over his lower half, one pajama clad leg, uncovered.

She stood staring at him for a few minutes, then with a tender smile, moved the pillow and smoothly slid into it's place. It was precarious, but she scrunched as close to him as she dared.

He was still in the place between asleep and awake(mostly asleep), but it seeped slowly into his awareness that the pillow he had fallen asleep holding was now warm and curvy. Then it wriggled against him and all parts south sat up and took notice.

She moaned as he clasped her hip and pulled her rear flush with his growing erection. As she felt him harden against her, she felt an answering tightening deep within herself. She heard him murmur her name, increasing her excitement. She carefully turned over in the narrow space, and pressed her front against him.

She studied him as he slept. She's always known that he was handsome. But that knowledge was abstract. It hadn't really meant anything to her. And she couldn't put her finger on just when that had changed. That moment when she realized just how sexy her Watcher was. Maybe it was on Prom night, when he had smiled so warmly at her and her stomach had given an odd little thrill. That was the first time she could really remember, although there had been times since. And she had felt a strange jolt when he had placed the wedding band on her finger, and vice versa. And her knees had quivered when he had kissed her.

Up until a few nights ago, she had thought she was the only one that kiss had affected. No matter how expert it had been. How thorough. She wondered how he would kiss her when he meant it.

She shivered, and out of pure reflex, he wrapped his arms around her and drew her to his warm body. She snuggled closer. Almost awake now, he moaned as she burrowed her cheek against his bare chest; he could feel her warm breath ruffling the hair there. Finally awake, he realized that she was listening to his heartbeat. His arms tightened involuntarily around her small body. She raised her eyes to meet his as he spoke.

"What are you doing here? You should be in bed." His voice was harsh, although he didn't release her.

"So should you. This can't be comfortable."

"I'll manage."

"We agreed that we could share the bed."

"That was before,"

"Before what, Giles?"

"Before we actually tried to do it," he replied awkwardly. Still keenly aware of her warmth pressing against him.

Her reply cut him to the quick and destroyed any plan he had of sleeping on the couch. "I don't sleep well without you. I get cold and I have weird dreams." She looked at him, eyes wide and sad. Mouth pouting. He knew that even if she hadn't spoken, that he could deny her nothing when she used The Pout on him.

He nodded, and she scrambled off of the couch, and held out her hand. He stood and took her hand. She led him upstairs. As they got into bed, Buffy made no pretense of staying n her side. She immediately snuggled into his warmth. He hesitated briefly, before he enclosed his arms around her. She gave a sigh and was asleep in seconds. Not so for him.

He lay awake for awhile, thinking about how complicated this had gotten. She shivered in her sleep and he brought the blanket tighter around her. Finally he dozed off.


After that night, the wall between them was gone for good. They'd go to bed and Buffy would cuddle right up to him, and he would hold her. Despite the necessity of a cold shower each morning, he slept much better knowing that she was safe and sound. If she was patrolling when he went to bed, he couldn't sleep until she returned.

Mr. Corwin, after a few more unannounced visits, seemed satisfied that their marriage was genuine, and authorized Giles' Green Card. Giles immediately accepted a position as the Curator of the Sunnydale Museum. He had been talking to them, and was only waiting on the Green Card to start. They were beyond thrilled to get him, and not just because they went through curators at an alarming rate. The fact that he was a former Curator of the British Museum made them all ready to swoon. So when he asked for time to sort through the red tape, they were more than willing to give it to him.

On the Sunday before he was to start, Buffy helped him get settled in. Afterwards they went to lunch. They went to a restaurant that they had gone to before. In fact, the one waitress knew them now, and by the time they were seated, had a tea and a diet soda waiting for them. They ordered what was by now their usual, and had a pleasant lunch.

After that they decided to see a movie, and argued amiably until she finally gave in with a laughing "Yes dear." They enjoyed themselves, and had pleasant dreams that night.

Monday night, Giles came home from his first day at the Museum exhausted, but happy. She had fixed a light dinner, which he devoured like man starved. When she made a teasing comment on his appetite, he replied sheepishly that he hadn't had time for lunch.

So the next day at lunchtime, Buffy brought take-out oriental, which she knew he liked. As she opened the door to his office, she stopped in surprise. Giles was sitting at his desk, and a woman was perched on the edge of the desk, her ankles crossed, legs swinging gently. She was in her early thirties, with shoulder length brown hair, was attractive and well dressed in a tailored pantsuit.

They hadn't noticed Buffy right away; they were engrossed in a discussion about some artifact. When Giles noticed her hesitating in the doorway, he rose to his feet and approached her, a warm smile on his face. "My dear, this is a surprise. What brings you here."

She smiled at him in reassurance, hearing the real question 'Is something wrong?' "Lunch. You said that you didn't have any lunch yesterday, so...." She trailed off and lifted the little cartons.

"Well, how very thoughtful. Thank you," he turned to lead her to his desk. He stopped having completely forgotten the woman sitting there. "Ah...do forgive me. Dr. Amanda Brock, my wife, Buffy." He made the introductions.

Dr. Brock looked Buffy up and down, raised her eyebrows slightly, but smiled warmly as she offered her hand. Buffy looked at it blankly, her hands still full.

"Sorry, Buffy. Let me." And Giles took the cartons. The women shook hands politely. Buffy resisted the urge to squeeze. Barely. She was astounded at her reaction to this woman. She was jealous! Dr. Brock and Giles, her Giles, had seemed quite happy chattering away; she felt woefully ignorant. Then Giles smiled at Buffy; the smile he reserved just for her, and she felt a little better. It hadn't hurt that when he turned, he had obviously just remembered Dr. Brock. Thinking about that made her feel better still. Of course, remembering him calling her "my wife", sent her over the edge. This woman was no threat to her, in any way, shape or form. Buffy was able to smile cordially.

So when Dr. Brock said that she'd leave them to their lunch. Buffy was able to say, almost sincerely, "I brought plenty. You're more than welcome to join us." She gestured to the cartons that Giles had arranged on his desk.

But, Dr. Brock smiled warmly and replied, "That's very kind, but I have an appointment. It was nice meeting you Mrs. Giles. Good day, Mr. Giles."

"Dr. Brock," they said in unison, as she left.

Ordinarily, Buffy would have perched on Giles' desk, but couldn't bring herself to do so after Dr. Brock had. Giles pulled up a second chair, and motioned her into his more comfortable one.

As she sat, she saw two pictures framed on his desk. One of the whole Scooby-Gang; Willow, Oz, Xander, Cordelia, and Buffy. The other picture was a duplicate of their wedding photo. She was mildly surprised, although she realized that she shouldn't be. They were the only family he had. As she raised her eyes to his, anything she might have said went right out of her head at his expression as he looked at her.

His eyes were filled with warmth, affection and a new, more personal respect. She realized that he'd half expected a scene with Dr. Brock. He knew how she had felt about the Doctor. He couldn't have explained why her budding maturity had meant so much to him. As a slayer, she had to be mature in a lot of ways and was. But in her personal dealings, she had still frequently acted like the teenager she still was. He had seen her reaction to Dr. Brock, seen her fight back the urge to act out. It frightened him that it mattered to him so...personally that she was maturing.

She felt the breath go out of her lungs as she analyzed the possibilities behind that expression. And her own reaction to it. Lunch passed very quietly, though not awkwardly. The one thing they did talk about was a car. Since Buffy was going to be attending college soon, and had by some miracle passed the driving test, he thought they should get a car for her to use. She argued that he shouldn't have to take on the expense, she felt like she was taking enough from him; the museum had an arrangement with college so that spouses, etc, could attend classes free, she only had to buy the books. Which, since she still didn't have a job meant he'd have to buy them. He argued that it would be more convenient if she had a car too. He wouldn't have to take her to school; she wouldn't have to wait on him. And if she were so inclined, with a reliable transportation, she'd be able to get a job. The thought of being able to contribute, finally, made her agree. He read that in her stubborn expression. He knew she hated having to rely on him for so much financially.

He also knew, that even if it were a "real" marriage, she would have felt the same way. It was strange really, how often he forgot that it wasn't "real". The only time he remembered consistently, was bedtime. When his body ached for her. <No, don't think about that> He admonished himself. With difficulty he managed to bring his mind back to lunch, which they finished in silence.

That night in bed, Buffy had a dream. A very erotic dream. She woke up abruptly, with her thighs clenched together. She shot a glance at Giles, who appeared to be sleeping soundly. She ran her fingers down his cheek, he murmured her name and moved into her caress like a cat. She smiled, knowing that if he were awake, he would have pulled away. She took a minute to look at him as he slept. Ever since the night on the couch; he had foregone his pajama top, being more comfortable without it. She grinned impishly; <apparently snuggling keeps him warm. > She continued to look at him. Hair tousled, glasses off, shirtless, his face relaxed in sleep. She rested her cheek on his chest, never tiring of listening to his heartbeat. She cuddled closer and was fast asleep seconds after his arms closed around her.

Giles was dreaming that a monster had his right leg. His eyes flew open and settled on Buffy, flush against him, her thighs wrapped tightly around his. She was moving against him in her sleep. It took a moment for his sleep befuddled brain to process what was going on. Once he realized; all the blood in his body seemed to surge into his penis. He briefly considered moving away from her. That would be the proper thing to do. But as he watched her restlessly move against him, he knew that he couldn't do it. Couldn't deny her release. He adjusted his thigh so that the angle was better for her. She sighed in her sleep, and continued to undulate against him. His breathing grew ragged as her movements grew quicker, until finally she threw her head back, arched sharply against him, and he could feel the moisture on his thigh. Needless to say-his dreams for the rest of the night were erotic, tortured by visions of her expression as she came against him.

When Buffy woke up in the morning, she felt oddly relaxed. When she realized that her legs were still wrapped around Giles’, she flushed with embarrassment, knowing what had happened, praying that he had slept through it.

He stirred against her, waking, and she hastily removed her legs. His eyes fluttered open and looked into hers. For just a second, she saw…something. But then it was gone.

"Good morning. Did you sleep well?" He asked innocently.

She blushed again as she answered, "yes, and you?"

"Rather well, actually." He replied as he stretched. Buffy’s eyes raked his torso, as she wondered briefly what it would be like to have him hold her in passion, instead of comfort.

Then his words sank in and she smiled, knowing that whether he’d woke up or not last night, he’d never mention, unless she did first. Which she had no intention of doing.

Giles left the bed, went for his shower. Since this was Buffy’s last week before college started, she had decided to sleep in. She was dozing lightly when Giles came out of the bathroom in his robe. Usually, he woke her at this time, but; knowing she wanted to sleep, he left her alone.

She watched him, eyes lazily half-lidded. When he faced away from her and dropped his robe, her eyes flew all the way open. She plainly gawked, too shocked to even let him know that she was awake. She licked her lips, then laid as still as possible. She couldn’t help but notice that her Watcher had a very nice butt, and rather well formed legs. He pulled on his boxers and moved to the bed to pull on his socks. He sat gingerly on the bed, not wanting to disturb her. When he finished dressing, he considered her sleeping (as he believed) form. He gently kissed her forehead, and left.

That night Buffy had the same erotic dream. A Masked lover, touching her, bringing her to the brink. Before she tumbled over; she awoke, legs clenched around Giles’ thigh. She was startled when he angled his leg to accommodate her. She rested her cheek against him; he lightly held her hip as she moved against him. She moaned as she came against him. A sound that he felt all the way to his groin. His grip on her tightened then relaxed as she did. He took a deep steadying breath, willing his body to relax. She knew he wasn’t asleep, just as he knew she wasn’t. She also knew that, once again, he’d never mention it, unless she did. Except, this time, she was very much afraid that she was going to have to.

The next morning she slept through his entire morning routine, only waking when he had gently kissed her forehead. She was surprised to be disappointed that she had missed "the show".

She was very confused. The growing desire, almost need that she was feeling was nothing like her relationship with Angel. Her need for Angel had bordered on obsession. Okay-it crossed the border occasionally. Their relationship had been fire and ice, complete extremes. But this.... This was constant warmth. Safe. She knew with absolute certainty that Giles would die a slow painful death before he hurt her. Angel was another thing altogether. As Angelus he had made her life a living Hell. Not to mention the danger to her family and friends. As Angel he had been willing to drain her to save himself. That hurt her on so many levels.

Giles was so different from Angel. Although he, too, had his dark side. Giles, at his Ripper worst had been obnoxious, but had tried to help, once he could be made to realize that there was a problem. He had come through, just as her Giles always had. Her Giles. Where had all that possessiveness come from? Although, upon reflection, she realized that it had always been there to some extent. Though nothing like now. And the knowledge that she excited him so much excited her. And that, too, was new.

Of course, he was older. And unlike Angel, seemed older, both in appearance and the way he acted. Although out of that tweed….who would have guessed he was so…yummy?

Just thinking about it was getting her all bothered again. <My turn for a cold shower.>


That afternoon, Buffy met her mother for lunch. She had kept her word about seeing each other frequently. Sometimes Joyce teased that she saw Buffy more often now, than she ever had while she lived with Joyce.

Over lunch they chatted, but Joyce could tell that something was wrong. "Buffy? Is there…something that you want to talk about?" Hoping not to hear that there was a new apocalypse.

Buffy started to say no, but really looked at her Mom, seeing how much she really wanted to help. "Mom, its not death and destruction, I promise. It’s just…well," she stopped, not knowing how to finish. She and her mother had grown closer lately, but she wasn’t sure if her mother could handle this. "I’ve been…well…having feelings…for…." She stopped again.

"For Rupert," her mother finished. Buffy just looked at her, shocked.

"Wha…how…how did you…? How?" Was all she could manage.

"Honey, I’ve seen how you two are with each other. Blind I may be in some areas, but this…this is relatively normal."

"Normal? I’m falling for my forty-something Watcher. That’s normal?"

"No. You’re …falling … for the man who cares more about you, than he does himself. The man who let’s you pound and pummel him every day to keep you in shape to stay alive. The man who has had two opportunities to leave and return to England and whatever life he left behind there, and yet stayed here. For you. The man you married." Joyce finished. Buffy stared at her, mouth agape.

"So it’s…okay?"

"Sweetie, I never said that."

"Oh," Buffy’s face fell.

"Buffy, I…I saw this coming for a while. Since before. And I have had some time to grow accustomed to it. I don’t have to like it. He will never hurt you. That I do like. He’ll take care of you. Your relationship was already so…intimate."

Buffy blushed, "Mom, we’re not having sex."

Joyce almost laughed. "Honey, there’s a lot more to intimacy than sex. You can be intimate without having sex." Buffy blushed again, remembering last night. They hadn’t had sex, and that was pretty…intimate.

Joyce continued, "you and he have always had that intimacy. And now you’re sharing a home, a bathroom, and things like that." Joyce balked at mentioning that they were sharing a bed. It just wasn’t something she wanted to think about. "Living together has brought a new awareness. I think you’re starting to realize that your Watcher, you friend is also a man."

"God, Mom, when did you get so…perceptive?"

Joyce smiled. "Like I said, I may seem oblivious to Slayer stuff, but I‘ve seen how you two are together. The trust, the respect, the affection. And now the awareness." She hesitated. "What are you going to do?"

"I have no idea. I guess…just play it by ear." She shrugged. "When did it all get so complicated?"

Joyce looked at her. "You know that you can always come home. If things get…out of control, or whatever. Always."

It was the first time they had mentioned Joyce telling Buffy that she couldn’t come home last summer. It was almost an apology. Joyce reached for Buffy’s hand.

"I know, Mom. I’ve always known that." Buffy squeezed Joyce’s hand.

Lunch passed pleasantly after that. They chatted some more and parted.

That night as she was patrolling, Buffy kept running it through her mind. On the one hand, Giles was much older than she was. She’d been that route. And he was awfully stuffy sometimes. His clothes sucked. The Scooby-gang would tease her unmercifully. She thought for a few more minutes. <That all you can come up with? Is that the best you can do? > Apparently.

So, on the other hand, he was not only older, he was mature. Not a silly boy like Xander, and other’s she knew. She’d never have to lie to him about where she was going at night, or what she was doing. He knew her deal. And he respected who she was, and what she did. They had very few secrets. He was stuffy, but one of them had to be the responsible one. She sure didn’t want to be. His clothing had improved, and she’d bet that she could get him to loosen up a little. Although, in all honesty, she didn’t want him to change too much. The tweed suited him. He looked good in his suits. <And out of them> Came an errant thought. One she couldn’t deny. And she had felt him pressing against her. Everything seemed…functional.

She was so distracted by that line of thought, that the vampires that attacked caught her completely by surprise. It had been a long time since that had happened. There were six of them and they fought hard.

When she finished off the last one, she stood for a minute, shocked, before heading home. By the time she got there she was shaking from reaction. She stumbled in the door, and Giles came to her, eyes wide in horror.

"Are you all right, my dear?" He asked anxiously. She could barely nod. "Are you hurt?" She shook her head, no. He grabbed the blanket from the couch and wrapped it around her. Then he rubbed her arms and shoulders, trying to get her blood moving. Finally he left his arms around her and led her to the couch. He urged her to sit but she clung to him. He scooped her up, and settled with her on his lap, arms holding her tightly to him. She looked up to his face, and the expression there made her breath catch.

Fear, caring, and love. And something deeper. And in that moment, everything crystallized for Buffy. How had she thought this was complicated? It was the simplest thing in her life. Her shaking stopped abruptly. She loved him, he loved her, she wanted him, he wanted her, and they were married. What could be simpler than that?

She had the same feeling of calm, of rightness that she'd had when she had decided that she should be the one to marry him.

Giles was stunned by her expression. He had never seen her look so...serene. He opened his mouth to speak, but his brain couldn't force a single word out. She watched him struggle to catch up to her for a few seconds then, slowly, deliberately, she leaned up and kissed him. It was tender and undemanding, yet filled with love and desire. She pulled back and looked at him, a placid smile on her face. His face the very picture of wonder and amazement.

"Buffy." He said simply, just before he cupped her face and pulled her in for another kiss. This kiss was gentle to start with, but deepened quickly with their mutual need. When Buffy felt his tongue begging for entry, she complied.

His tongue brushed hers and her stomach gave an odd little thrill. As his mouth ravished hers, she vaguely realized that it was a good thing she was sitting. Her knees would not have held her, being all puddly. Then she had a muzzy recollection of wondering how he would kiss her if he meant it. <Now I know> was her last coherent thought for hours.

His hands started to explore her willing body, sliding down her back, drawing her closer still. She carefully raised herself up from him and resettled straddling his thighs, letting the blanket fall to the floor. He groaned as she pressed against his erection. Feeling him, knowing that she had caused such a reaction excited her beyond anything in her admittedly limited experience. His hand glided to her front, sliding up from her waist to cup her breasts. She arched into his hands with a moan. He rubbed and kneaded her for a few moments before gently pinching her nipples. They were both breathing heavily, as he slid her tank top off of her. She went to work on his buttons, making short work of them. By the time she had them undone, he had removed her bra as well, and they were bare chest to bare chest.

She rubbed her sensitive nipples against his chest hair, moaning his name. His hands cupped her butt, bringing it even closer to his erection. She pressed against, her body seeking more. Suddenly he stood, holding her to him. She wrapped her legs around him, and he started for the stairs. She dropped small nibbling kisses on his neck and shoulder. It took them several minutes to make it all the way upstairs. He kept stopping to kiss her more thoroughly.

By the time they finally made it to the bedroom, he could barely stand, his body was humming with desire. He slowly released her onto the bed, and stood next to it slowly removing the remainder of his clothes. Once he had finished, he moved onto the bed. He took off her shoes and socks and threw them on the floor. He reached for her trousers and slid them and her panties off of her. He sent them the way of the rest of their clothes.

He stared at her nude body for a full minute, taking in the golden perfection that was his love. She filled him with awe. She was looking at him with a similar expression. She reached out and with the first hesitation she had shown, encircled his penis. His breath hissed in pleasure, every nerve ending in his body focused on her, and her warm hand. She gently stroked him. He just enjoyed it for a moment then, stopped her with a rueful smile, knowing that it would be over all too quickly if he let her continue.

His lips captured hers again, as he slowly eased her back onto the bed, covering her with his body. He continued to kiss her, hands roaming, finding the places that gave her the most pleasure. He kissed and nibbled and loved every inch of her body. When he finally returned to her lips, she was a quivering mass beneath him. She squirmed under him, and he finally positioned himself between her legs. Slowly, watching her face the entire time, he guided himself home. They didn't move for the briefest of moments, then he pulled out with agonizing slowness, then slid back into place. Her body rose to meet his, thrust for thrust. Moan for moan, their sighs of pleasure melding into one voice.

Finally, Buffy could hold back from the edge no longer, and calling his name, went over. Feeling her tighten around him, he let go of his control and followed her into ecstasy. They lay for a long while afterwards, cuddled and slick from their loving. The words of love that they hadn't needed, now spilling forth.

They eventually dozed off in each others arms, only to wake twice during the night to start all over again.


Sunnydale High School-June, 2008

Jonathan walked into the gym of the new high school with something akin to fear. He hadn't been to Sunnydale since graduation and he wasn't quite sure what to expect. He looked around the reunion, to see if he could recognize anyone. <Is that Aura?> he thought, staring at a woman with a balding middle aged man in tow. She gave Jonathan a haughty look and kept walking. <Yep. That was Aura> She headed for a chubby red-head, who could only be Aphrodisiac.He was feeling pretty much as he had for most of high school, left out, when suddenly he saw a wonderful sight. Buffy Summers, standing alone. He didn't even realize that he was moving until he stood in front of her, shyly.

Buffy looked up from studying the floor, when a pair of shoes came into view. She looked up. "Jonathan! It's great to see you." She said with sincerity, and a quick hug. "How have you been?"

He stammered in his surprise. "I-I-I...fine. Great, really. And you?"

"Better than I ever hoped...." She broke off as Willow and Oz joined them They both greeted Jonathan like they were old friends. He supposed in the face of time passed they were. Sort of. They'd had never teased or tormented him. That was a big plus for Jonathan.

Willow spoke, "so Jonathan, what do you do? Are you married now? Kids?"

Oz stopped her. "You pretty much have to stop asking questions, if you actually want him to be able to answer." He said in amused affection. She just smiled.

Jonathan answered in order. "I'm an engineer. Yes married. One daughter. Beth stayed home with her, she had a soccer tourament this weekend."
"And don't you wish that you were there?" Buffy said fondly. He grinned his answer. Then asked a few questions of his own.

"What about you guys? Willow and Oz are you....?"

"Yep." Willow said happily. "Six years now, two kids, one of each." He looked at Buffy, but before he could ask her anything , Xander came up to them

He greeted the women with hugs. And Oz and Jonathan with back-slapping handshakes. It was only as Xander stepped back that Jonathan realized that Buffy was pregnant. Xander must have realized it at the same time, because he said, "geez, Buffy. Haven't you guys ever heard of birth control. What's that like six for you guys?"

"Ha ha, Xander. For the record, if we didn't use some protection, we'd have a lot more than the four and a half that we do have, rest assured."

"Eeww. I so didn't need that visual." Said Cordelia as she and a tall man joined them. The all smiled warmly at her. She was more pregnant than Buffy was, though still relatively slim. If you ignored the large roundness of her stomach. She actually looked as if she could go any day. Of course, Jonathan didn't pretend to be an expert. She greeted tham all warmly, even him. "Jonathan, have you met my husband?" When he shook his head no, she introduced him as "Wesley Wyndom Price." They shook politely. "Speaking of spouses. Buffy, Xander, where are yours?"

Xander answered first. "Anya wanted to freshen up. Wanted to look her very best." He shrugged at the foibles of his wife.

"Mine's checking on the kids. Randall and the baby have colds, and Mr. Worrier Guy read that it can turn ugly fast in small children. So he's bugging Mom for quarter hour temperature updates." They could all tell that she wasn't nearly as blase about her children being sick as she pretended. And it was obvious that she wasn't at all displeased by the caution of the mysterious "Mr. Worry Guy".

Just then Jonathan saw Mr. Giles, who use to be the Librarian, approach with a woman. As he recalled, this group used to be pretty chummy with him. Was that young woman his wife? Oh well, none of his business. He was surprised when the woman walked up to Xander and he introduced her as his wife, Anya. But he almost had a stroke when Mr. Giles stood behind Buffy, with a possessive hand on her stomach. "Hey," Buffy greeted him. "How are my babies?"

"Your son broke no less than two unreplacable artworks. But the temperatures are coming down. Except Joyce's" He added with a grin.

"Not Will?"

"No, Randall." He said with a laugh.

"And the girls?"

"Alexa and Grace are both fine. Grace's temperature was down to 99.2 when I called." Buffy relaxed visably.

"Okay, then let's dance."

"Now, luv...."

"Now. Humor a pregnant woman. Get close while you still can." She laughed, and he grinned. They moved onto the dance floor. The other couples moved to join them. As Buffy and Mr. Giles held each other, Jonathan could see the deep rooted love fairly screaming from them. He smiled.

 

The End

 

<< back