"The Marriage Deal "

Author: Michelle
Email: michellabella52478@yahoo.com
Notes: Based on a challenge.

1

2

3

4

5

"Are you positive you don't want to come to the preliminary hearing today?" Buffy asked Dawn Tuesday morning while the teenager was getting ready for school. "Faith could really use all the support she can get."

"I already told you, I don't want to go. Spending the day in a boring courtroom isn't my idea of fun. Sorry."

The older sister frowned. "Okay. But Faith is going to be very disappointed."

"She'll get over it, I'm sure," Dawn replied sarcastically. "Besides, she's going to have you and Angel there rooting her on."

"Dawn, what is your problem? You've been acting like a spoiled brat lately and I'd like to know why. Frankly, I'm sick of it."

She threw on her jacket. "You have to ask why? My life has turned completely upside down in the past six months. First Mom and Dad die, then Faith gets sent to jail, now I'm living in this new house with my sister and the husband she's only known for a week. Does that explain my attitude?"

Buffy sighed; Dawn did have a point.. "I really wish I could get into this with you now, but I don't have the time. I have to be at the courthouse in half an hour. But when I get home tonight, I think we're going to have to sit down and talk about some things."

Dawn exhaled heavily. 'Lucky me,' she thought. 'A lecture.' "Fine, whatever. Can I go? I'm gonna be late for school."

"Sure."

"Tell Faith I said good luck," she said before leaving her bedroom.

Sagging her shoulders, Buffy slumped down on Dawn's bed. Trying to be her mother was harder than she thought, and she doubted she could handle having children of her own when the time came. 'Faith, I could *so* use your help right now.'

A knock at the door broke her out of her thoughts; she looked up and found Angel standing in the doorway with an expectant look on his handsome face. "Hey," Buffy greeted.

He took a step inside. "After Dawn walked off in a huff, I thought I'd find you in here. What happened between you two?"

"Nothing you want to know about. I tried to convince her to come to the hearing with me but she adamantly refused. Needless to say, a family meeting is in order for tonight."

"Oh" was all he could think to say.

"Will you be there? I'm going to need moral support. And probably a lawyer."

Angel smiled at his wife. "Sure I'll be there. I doubt I will be much help, but I can show support. I can play the loving, supportive husband."

"That's all I need. What time are you leaving for the courthouse?" Buffy wanted to know.

"In a couple minutes. Are you ready to go?"

She nodded. "I think so. And in case I don't say it later, thank you for everything."

"Don't thank me yet."


When Faith was led into the courtroom five minutes before her trial was to begin, she knew the coming half-hour would determine the course of the rest of her life. 'This is it, I guess,' she thought. 'I either go home or spend what will probably be the better part of my life in jail.' Though she tried to hide it, Faith was a bundle of nerves.

She saw Buffy sitting in the first row behind Angel, a sympathetic smile playing upon her pretty face. Faith smiled back, knowing just how much her adopted sister had sacrificed for her. As she sat down, she felt Buffy's hand on her shoulder, and she placed hers over it. "Everything is going to work out today, Faith. I can feel it."

"I hope you're right, B. You have no idea how much I want to come home today," Faith said.

"You will. Angel will work his magic."

The defendant nodded. "One can hope. Is Dawn here?"

She noticed the smile dim from Buffy's face. "No. She…she had a test in her English class and couldn't get out of it. But she told me to wish you good luck."

"You never were a very good liar, even when we were kids. Dawn didn't want to come, did she?"

"I'm sorry," Buffy apologized.

"It's okay. If I were her, I wouldn't want to come either."

From his seat to Faith's left, Angel listened to the two sisters as they talked. He'd never seen them together, but he could see now why Buffy agreed to the terms of his deal – Faith was more than just her sister. They were best friends. And he knew it was up to him to keep their close-knit family together. A family he was proud to be a part of, if only for three years.

The bailiff came into the room, standing tall. "All rise. This court is now in session. The honorable Judge Daniel Wellings presiding."

The people in the room rose from their seats when Judge Wellings entered, taking his seat. "Please be seated," he told everyone. He sifted through his papers. "The People of the State of California versus Faith Summers. The defendant is charged with the second degree murder of Parker Abrams. We are here today to determine if this case will be brought to trial. I will hear remarks first from the People."

Assistant District Attorney Alexis Baxter stood behind the Prosecutor's table. "A man is dead. Parker Abrams, a twenty-four year old man from a modest Mid-West family died four weeks ago at the hand of his supposedly loving girlfriend. Faith Summers claims it was self-defense, but it wasn't, not by a longshot. She knew exactly what she was doing when she shoved that knife into her boyfriend's chest. She did not aim to hurt, she aimed to kill."

Angel had warned her that they would attack her character and say she had killed Parker purposely, and Faith did her best to keep her emotions to herself, despite her anger. The prosecutor was accusing her of killing her boyfriend in cold blood; it took all of her strength to keep from shouting out the truth. But she knew her brother-in-law would tell the real story.

Judge Wellings nodded his head after Alexis Baxter finished her argument. "Mr. McKenzie, I'd like to hear from you now."

Straightening his papers in front of him, Angel got out of his chair. "The prosecution has painted Parker Abrams as the innocent victim here. A loving, kind boyfriend; a pillar of the community. That was his public persona, but in private he was a very different man. Faith Summers knew him best; she knew what he was like when the doors to the public were closed. For close to three years she lived in fear of what he would do to her if she disobeyed him.

"Parker Abrams hit her. He punched her. He called her names no woman should ever be called. Faith would become so frightened that she'd break up with him, but Parker was also a master manipulator, swearing he would never do it again if she took him back. But he could never hide his true nature for too long and soon he was back to his old tricks.

"The night of October fifteenth started out innocently enough. Faith and Parker sat in the living room of her home watching a movie with her fifteen year old sister Dawn. Faith stated that she found the actor in the movie attractive, and that simple comment sent Parker Abrams into a fit of rage. He jumped from his place on the couch and pushed Faith off, causing her to hit her head on the coffee table. After verbally abusing her, he disappeared into the kitchen, returning moments later with a sharp knife.

"Concerned for her sister's safety, Faith sent Dawn to her bedroom until her boyfriend calmed down. But he never did. He began attacking her with the knife, and Faith knew she was in a life-or-death situation; the man she loved was going to kill her. So she did what she had to do to protect herself. Did Faith Summers intend to kill Parker Abrams? No. She made split-second decision any one of us would have made. Faith Summers chose life."

When Angel sat back down again, Buffy put her hand on his shoulder, whispering in his ear. "You sounded great. Very convincing."

"Thanks. Let's hope the judge thinks so."

Judge Wellings cleared his throat. "I have gone over the evidence, read the statements written by the defendant's sisters and friends, as well as the documents sent to me by A.D.A. Baxter and Mr. McKenzie. It is clear to me, and to this court, that Miss Summers acted out of self-defense the night of October fifteenth. There will be no further investigation and this case is dismissed." He pounded the gavel.

"Angel?" Faith asked.

He stood once more. "You're free, Faith. You can go home now."

A giant smile spread across her lips, her brown eyes dancing with glee. "You mean it? No more jail?"

"No more jail."

Without warning she jumped out of her seat and threw her arms around him. "You are amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She turned to her sister, who had made her way over to the defense table. "B, I'm free!"

"I know. Congratulations." Buffy wrapped her arms around Faith. "So, what do you want to do to celebrate?"

"I say we all hit the Bronze tonight. Big celebration party," suggested the brunette.

"You got it." Buffy looked at her husband, who was busy putting his papers back in his suitcase. "Angel, I really appreciate what you did in court today."

He tried his best to remain professional. "I was just doing my job. Like we agreed."

"That doesn't mean I can't thank you properly." In a surprise move, Buffy reached up to give him a hug. In their innocent embrace, Angel could smell her shampoo, the scent of vanilla invading his nostrils. He sighed softly and then felt her give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Faith wants to celebrate tonight, so after dinner we're gonna hit the Bronze. Care to come with us and make our first public appearance as husband and wife?" Buffy invited.

Angel's head was still reeling from being so close to her. 'Good god, what is wrong with me?' he asked himself. "I have to file the paperwork for the case, but after that I'm free for the day. Looks like I'll be there."

"Great. When I get back to your house – I mean, our house," Buffy corrected herself, "I'll invite the whole gang. And you should invite that friend you were telling me about yesterday."

He nodded. "Spike. Yeah, I'll do that."

"See you later."

On their way out, Faith raised an eyebrow at her sister. "Well, it's easy to see who wears the pants in your marriage."

"Shut up, Faith," her sister retorted.


"I want to go with you!" complained Dawn at seven-thirty when Buffy was getting dressed for the celebration party. "It's not fair that I can't go."

Buffy shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. "Oh well. I already told you it's for adults only. No kids allowed."

"I'm not a kid."

"Dawn, you are too young to be going to clubs. You're only fifteen." She slipped her feet into her black pumps, which perfectly matched the simple black dress she wore.

Dawn placed her hands on her hips in annoyance. "You were fifteen when you started hanging out at the Bronze with Willow and Cordelia. And so was Faith. What's the big deal if I go? It's supposed to be a celebration party for my own sister and I can't even go."

"First of all, Faith and I were sixteen, almost seventeen, when we started going to the Bronze. Secondly, you're grounded. And third, you didn't even have the decency to go to Faith's hearing today, but now you want to celebrate her freedom? I don't think so. Don't think I've forgotten about my promise to have a family meeting tonight. We won't be that late, so you can expect it."

"You're treating me like a child."

"You *are* a child. Get over it."

Angel entered the room from the bathroom. He wore a pair of black trousers and a midnight blue shirt, his brown hair styled in his trademark spikes. "Am I interrupting a sister moment?"

Buffy shook her head. "Nope. Dawn and I were just finished. Weren't we?" she asked her younger sister.

"Apparently so. Try to have fun without me." Turning on her heel, the teenager stalked out of the room.

Angel couldn't help raising his eyebrows at his sister-in-law's exit. "Okay, once more with tension."

She laughed at his comment. "You sound just like Xander."

"Xander?" he questioned.

"A good friend of mine. He'll be there tonight. Don't worry, you two will get along famously. I'm sure of it."

"Are you almost ready?" he wanted to know. "We have to pick up Faith in ten minutes."

She put the finishing touches on her makeup. "Just about. I still need to fix my hair real quick."

"You look fine to me."

Buffy smiled sincerely. "You're sweet. A terrible liar, but sweet nonetheless."


The couple glanced at each other before entering the club. Faith had already gone inside, leaving Buffy and Angel standing in the alley. "Ready to meet my friends?"

"Yep," Angel answered.

"Great. Prepare to act couple-y." Reaching out, Buffy took his hand in hers and he opened the door for her. 'Wow, Angel really *is* a gentleman,' she thought. 'Nobody's ever held a door open for me except my father.'

Angel's eardrums were assaulted the moment he set foot in the club. It had been a long time since he'd been to one. Generally, he tended to frequent restaurant bars to meet women. He wasn't prepared for the younger, more laid back atmosphere of the Bronze.

His wife noticed his reaction. "Culture shock?" she asked.

"Slightly. I didn't exactly hang out in clubs back in England."

"What did you do for fun?"

Angel shook his head and smirked. "Buffy, you don't want to know. Maybe when you're older I'll tell you."

She sneered. "Real funny. Look, there's the gang."

He followed her lead to a group of people in their early twenties. The only person he recognized was Faith, who sat flanked by two young women – a redhead and brunette – and a man. Angel assumed he was the Xander person Buffy mentioned earlier. Suddenly, he felt out of place as they approached the table.

"Hey, guys," greeted Buffy. "Sorry we're late."

"No problem," Xander answered. "Who's your date?"

Plastering a fake, happy smile on her face, Buffy touched Angel's arm. "He's not just my date, Xand. I want you to meet Angel McKenzie. My husband."

"Husband?" Xander asked, confusion written all over his face. "Since when are you married, Buff?"

"Since this past weekend. Angel, this is Xander Harris, Cordelia Chase and Willow Rosenberg," she introduced, pointing to each one of her friends individually. "You already know Faith."

Cordelia openly checked out her friend's husband. "Hello, salty goodness." Underneath the table, Willow kicked her. "Sorry."

Willow stretched out her arm toward him. "Nice to meet you, Angel. Buffy's told us quite a bit about you Sunday."

He flashed her his famous half-smile. "All good, I hope."

"Well, we haven't gotten all of the gory details out of her yet," Cordelia told him. "But we tell each other everything, so it's only a matter of time."

"Good to know."

"Um, question for all," Xander began. "Why wasn't I informed of the Buffster's new marital status?"

Faith condescendingly patted him on the head. "Aww…poor Xander feeling a little left out? Don't worry, I wasn't even there for it and I'm her sister. They wanted a quick wedding."

Buffy shot daggers at her sister. 'If she tells them the truth, that's it for me. I'll never live it down.' She decided it was time to get out of the conversation. "Angel, what do you say you and I share our first official dance as husband and wife?"

He sensed what she was up to. "Sounds like a great idea."

Taking her hand in his, Angel excused them and they made their way to the dance floor. A slow song had just begun playing while the band took a break between sets. "We need to make this look as real as possible," Buffy told him.

With one hand on the small of her back and the other one clutching her left hand, Angel agreed. "I think we can manage that."

So lately, been wondering
Who will be there to take my place
When I'm gone you'll need love to light the shadows on your face
If a great wave shall fall and fall upon us all
Then between the sand and stone, could you make it on your own?
If I could, then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high, or down low
I'll go wherever you will go

"I promise not to step on your feet," he whispered in her ear. "At least not purposely."

Buffy laughed; a soft, quiet laugh that warmed his heart. "Not much of a dancer, are you?"

"I've go two left feet. I pretty much try to avoid dancing if at all possible. I'm what you'd call a spaz on the dance floor. Don't say I didn't warn you."

"I'll take it under advisement, counselor."

And maybe, I'll find out
A way to make it back someday
To watch you, to guide you, through the darkest of your days
If a great wave shall fall and fall upon us all
Then I hope there's someone out there who can bring me back to you
If I could, then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high, or down low
I'll go wherever you will go

"Aren't they so darn cute together?" Willow asked the group as they watched Buffy and Angel sway in sync to the music. "Look how in love they look."

Xander rolled his eyes. "Yeah. So cute they make me want to throw up. Gimme a barf bag and make it quick."

"You don't have a romantic bone in your body, do you, Xander?"

"No, he doesn't," Cordelia answered for him, sarcasm dripping from her voice. "At least not in the year we were dating."

"Hey, I take offense to that!" an offended Xander complained. "I am very romantic, thank you very much. Just ask Anya."

Cordelia made a face. "I'll pass, thank you. I don't need all the intimate details of your active sex life."

"At least I have one," he shot back.

Perfectly happy to be a spectator in Cordelia and Xander's war of words, Faith turned her attention to her sister and her husband. They looked like a married couple who could only see each other; as if they were the only two people in the room. She seriously wondered how much of it was acting and how much was their true feelings surfacing. 'Marriage deal my ass!' she thought. 'One of them is going to crack, I just wonder who'll be the first.'

From a darkened corner of the Bronze, Spike watched his best friend dance with the tiny blonde. Since he didn't know where Buffy's friends were sitting, he contented himself with the show on the dance floor. The show Angel was putting on; only Spike couldn't tell if he was faking the look in his brown eyes.

Run away with my heart
Run away with my hope
Run away with my love
I know now, just quite how
My life and love might still go on
In your heart, in your mind, I'll stay with you for all of time
If I could, then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high, or down low
I'll go wherever you will go
If I could turn back time
I'll go wherever you will go
If I could make you mine
I'll go wherever you will go
I'll go wherever you will go

"What you did today, Angel…I can never thank you enough for it. Having Faith home where she belongs means more to me than anything in this world," Buffy said. "I wish I could show you my appreciation."

"Don't worry about it. You being here is thanks enough."

She looked into his dark eyes. "But there must be something you want."

'Don't, McKenzie,' he told himself. 'Don't even go there.' "Buffy, I have everything I've ever wanted."


"Buffy, this is William Lords, my best friend since elementary school," Angel introduced when he found Spike standing off by himself a short while later.

"You can call me Spike, everyone else does," Spike informed her, kissing the back of her hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Buffy."

She nodded and smiled. Something about the way he looked at her left Buffy feeling unnerved. "Nice to meet you, too, Spike. How long will you be in Sunnydale?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not quite sure yet, I haven't given it much thought." 'Maybe indefinitely now that I've seen you, pet.'

"I see. Well, I'll leave you two alone. I'm gonna see if I can drag Faith out on the dance floor." Buffy patted Angel on the arm and walked back to her friends.

With a raised eyebrow, Spike watched her walk away. "She's a stiffener, that one."

"Spike, you're sick."

"What? She's over eighteen, isn't she? I think I'm allowed to be…shall we say, aroused by her."

Angel groaned. One thing Spike had always lacked was tact. "Buffy may be twenty years old, but she's also my wife. Show a little more judgement."

"What? It ain't like you've got all these fuzzy bunny feelings for her. You're just using her." He paused. "Aren't you?"

"We have a business arrangement."

The two of them gazed at the dance floor, where Buffy and Faith were dancing. Spike smiled with appreciation at the two sisters. "You are married to a girl with a body like that and you aren't even gonna take her out for a test-drive? I find that impossible to believe. Especially given your colorful history with women."

"Believe it."

Spike nodded, unconvinced by Angel's words. "Uh-huh." 'Looks like I'll be staying in Sunnydale longer than anticipated. Someone needs to keep an eye on Angel. And his pretty little wife.'


Faith found herself impressed when she, Buffy and Angel pulled into the driveway of the McKenzie home. She whistled with appreciation. "Very nice place you got here, B. Maybe I should run out and marry myself a millionaire."

"I'm not a millionaire," Angel corrected her.

"Not yet. But in about three years when you're done using my sister, you will be."

Buffy, seated in the front seat, sighed heavily. "He's not using me. We have a deal, that's it. One from which we both benefit."

"Yeah, whatever."

As he stepped out of the car, Angel thought, 'Now I see where Dawn gets her sparkling personality from. It's a good thing Faith is staying at the old house, I'd kill her if we had to live together. Personality clash.' Once again, he thanked God Buffy wasn't like her two sisters.

"What's with the family meeting?" Faith wanted to know. "It's obviously not to welcome me home from jail."

"It's about Dawn. She's been acting out of sorts and it is beginning to grate on my nerves. I figure if we double-team her – plus Angel – we should be able to get through to her," Buffy informed her, entering the front door, which was being held open by Angel. "Thank you."

He smiled. "You're welcome."

Faith looked from her sister to her new husband. 'Uh-huh…' "What a gentleman."

"I try."

Once she'd put her purse down, Buffy stood at the bottom of the stairs. "Dawn! We're home, come down here!"

Ten seconds later, Dawn's bedroom door opened. "Buffy, I'm ready for bed. Can't we do this tomorrow?"

"No way. Get your butt down here."

Slamming her bedroom door, Dawn stomped down the stairs, finding Buffy and Faith sitting on the couch and Angel on the loveseat. "What's *he* doing here?" she demanded. "He's not family."

"Angel is my husband. That makes him family. Now sit down because we need to talk to you," Buffy said sternly.

Sulking, Dawn plopped down on the reclining chair. "Make it quick, I'm tired."

"That's too damn bad, Dawn. You have a choice, either you talk to us tonight or you can talk to a counselor. It's your decision."

"Fine. Let's get started."

"Good. Explain your pissy attitude. I'd like to know why you've been acting like a royal bitch these past few weeks."

Dawn narrowed her eyes. "Why do you think? It's all her fault," she said, pointing to Faith.

"What did I do? What is it my fault?"

"Because if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be in this fucking mess! You just *had* to stay with Parker when he treated you like shit, didn't you? You let him hit you and call you names, and you didn't even bat an eyelash. You just sat there and took it. For three years! How many times did Mom and Dad tell you that you deserved better? Or Buffy? We all told you, but did you ever listen? No!" Dawn shouted.

Buffy was about to interrupt when Faith stopped her. The brunette wanted to hear what else her sister had to say. She felt that after four weeks in jail, she could handle just about anything. Even the wrath of her angry fifteen year old sister.

"So you kept seeing that jerk even though none of us liked him. Mom was always afraid he'd end up killing you. Well, wouldn't she be proud to find out that you offed him before he could do it to you. Faith, why would you stay with someone like that? Parker scared the hell out of us, every night when you went out with him we were afraid you wouldn't come home.

"And do you know how much everyone at school made fun of me because you killed him? I became the butt of everyone's jokes and it's all your fault. They'd call you a heartless murderer, no matter how many times I told them Parker got what he deserved. I lost all my friends. Thanks a lot."

Faith raised her eyebrows. "Are you done? Because I have something to say."

"No, I'm not done," Dawn said, shaking her head. "Since I seem to be on a roll here tonight, I'd like to state for the record that it's also your fault I'm stuck here."

Buffy was genuinely confused. "Stuck where?"

"Here, in this house! If it wasn't for Faith getting arrested, I wouldn't be here. You never would have met the lawyer and married him so damn quickly. What was the big hurry, Buffy? Why did you *have* to marry that guy five days after you met him? That's not normal behavior, especially for you."

"You have every reason to be upset about that, Dawn. I uprooted your life, and I'm sorry about that. But Angel and I are in love with each other. He's my husband," the blonde tried to reason.

Wide-eyed, Dawn stared at her biological sister. "Husband? You two don't even act like you're married most of the time. Aren't people in love supposed to touch each other? You two don't kiss or hug or even look at each other. If I had a husband who looked like Angel, I'd be touching him every chance I got. The only good thing I can see is that you aren't as sad as you were before, Buffy."

"Angel's done a lot for this family."

"Yeah, I know that. And I'm glad he's a great lawyer who got Faith out of jail, but I don't know. Something isn't right," mused Dawn.

Closing her eyes, Buffy exhaled the breath she'd been holding in. "What do you want me to do? I've done everything I can to make this transition easier for you. You have a nice home and a family who loves you. What else do you want?"

"I want things the way they used to be!" Dawn exploded. "I want Mom and Dad back."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry. I wish I could, believe me. Do you think things have been easy for me? It's been hell for me, too. You know, Dawn, the world doesn't revolve around you; I had to make huge sacrifices after Mom and Dad died. I had to quit school and give up my dreams of being a lawyer; I suddenly had to support an entire family by working as a waitress at a coffee shop. And on top of all that, I have to be your mother."

"Well, you're not doing such a great job at it," Dawn commented.

"Dawn, stop that," Faith warned.

Buffy waved her hand. "No, it's okay. I admit it, I'm not a good mother. But it isn't like I asked for this job. And you know what? I'm doing the best I can. I never thought you'd be so ungrateful to me for trying to give you a stable home life."

"I'm not ungrateful–"

"It certainly sounds like it to me. I'm your legal guardian, Dawn, but if you find someone else who wants to take over that responsibility, you can go live with them. Maybe Faith wants to do it."

Dawn couldn't believe her sister said that to her. "I don't want to live with Faith. I want to live with you."

"Then we need to make a few ground rules. The first being that your bitchy attitude ends here. I'm sick and tired of it. Second, you are to treat Angel with respect. He has given up his home to us because he wants to take care of me and my family. Third, your grades had better improve. I know you are capable of A's, not the D's and F's you've been getting lately. Four, you are grounded until I see your next report card. You will be able to go out on Saturdays only. No phone, no internet. Understood?"

She nodded. There was no point in arguing. "Understood. Can I go now?"

"Go ahead."

Biting her lip, Dawn went back upstairs. "Well, that was definitely interesting," Faith laugh. "I couldn't even get a word in edgewise. It's good to be home."

"I'm going upstairs," announced Buffy. "Angel, could you drive Faith home?"

"Sure."

Once her sister was sufficiently out of hearing distance, Faith turned to her brother-in-law. "Welcome to our dysfunctional family."


Half an hour later, Angel returned home from bringing Faith to her house. Inside his bedroom, he threw his shirt on the bed and thought about how relaxing a long hot shower sounded. It had been a long, eventful day, and all he wanted to do was feel the spray of hot water on his aching muscles. Kicking off his shoes, he opened the bathroom door.

What he found on the other side was the last thing he expected. With her back to him stood Buffy, drying her wet, naked body off with a fluffy white towel. For an unknown reason, Angel couldn't peel his eyes away. She turned around, drying her face and unaware of his presence, giving him a full frontal view of her body.

His breath caught in his throat and he knew that he should look away, but he could not bring himself to do it. He caught sight of a tiny tattoo on the front of her right hip – an angel. Angel did his best to keep his eyes on the angel rather than her more private areas.

"Oh my god!" Buffy exclaimed, quickly covering herself from his gaze with her towel. "Angel, what are you doing in here?"

"I-I didn't realize you were in here, I just got back," Angel told her, turning his eyes to the ceiling. "I'm sorry."

She was shaking, but not from being cold. "Could you leave me alone? This is kind of a private thing."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course." Walking out of the bathroom, Angel shook his head in disbelief. And he knew that when he went to sleep later on, his dreams would be of Buffy's curvaceous body…and the tiny angel tattoo.


The wind whistled outside, knocking tree branches against Angel's bedroom window. He found the sound soothing; he always loved a good storm, even as a child. Growing up, Angel would sit in front of the window watching the lightening as it lit up the otherwise black sky.

A knock at the bathroom door disrupted his musings. "Come on in," he invited, tearing his eyes away from the brewing storm outside.

The door opened and Buffy entered, wearing a worn yellow robe. "Hope I'm not interrupting you."

"Nope. Just looking outside," Angel told her, shaking his head. "What's going on?"

She glanced down. "Nothing. Forget I came in here." She turned to leave.

He reached out to touch her. "What is it, Buffy? Is it because of what happened earlier? Look, I'm really sorry about walking in on you like that. I guess I'm not used to sharing a bathroom with someone. I didn't set out to embarrass you."

"I'm not embarrassed, Angel. It's just that…well, you've seen all there is to see of me. Now I want to see you."

Angel stood in shock; he couldn't move. "You want to *what*?" He wasn't sure if he'd heard her correctly.

Buffy took a few steps closer to him. "It's only fair," she said, her voice becoming seductively low. "Come on, it isn't like we're breaking any laws. We *are* married, after all."

"You want me to get undressed?"

"What? You don't want to? Are you ashamed?" she teased.

Once again he shook his head. "Not at all."

Buffy smiled knowingly. "Oh I get it. You don't want to be alone. That's okay, I don't have anything to hide anymore." She brought her hands to the belt of her robe and untied it. Then she let the garment fall the ground. "Better?"

"I…" Angel did his best to keep from staring at her, but he couldn't. And he didn't know what it was about Buffy Summers that made him act like a teenager with raging hormones. She affected him the way no other woman before had ever done.

She could see where his gaze was locked: on her tattoo. "I see you noticed my tattoo. Do you like it?"

"It…it's very nice," he stuttered.

"I thought so. It's an angel, I got it right after my parents died. They never would have let me get one when they were alive, so I got one as a tribute to them a week after the accident. Faith has one, too." Buffy took his hand, outstretched his pointer finger and placed it on the tattoo.

His finger took on a life of its own and traced the ink outline along her hip. It was all he could do to keep from looking at the rest of her body. "Did it hurt?"

"A little. This is fate, Angel. I have a tattoo of an angel and a husband with the same name. Someone up there is telling us this is meant to be. And I'm a firm believer in fate and destiny."

In one swift motion, she had Angel backed up against the wall, a wicked smile across her innocent face. She placed her finger on his lips, running it down his jaw to his neck, then across his firm chest and stopping when she reached his boxer shorts. With a hand on either side of his waist, Buffy pulled off the only garment her husband wore. Once he stood naked before her, she looked him up and down with appreciation.

"Exactly the way I pictured you," she commented. "But it seems like a waste, you know? For the two of us to be here like this and not give in. I mean, think about it. We're both young and relatively good-looking, why shouldn't we make the most of it? Obviously we are attracted to one another, if this is any indication. Why should our marriage be in name only? It isn't right. Three years from now, do you want to look back in regret on what you and I could have shared? I know I don't."

"I don't either," agreed Angel. "But we shouldn't."

"Why not? Don't you want me?"

His heartbeat quickened. "More than you'll ever know." He bent his head down, taking her lips in a passionate kiss and pushed her body flush against his. Buffy's arms wrapped around his neck, and she began to lead him to his bed.

With a grunt, Angel awoke, unconsciously moving his arm to the left side of the bed to feel for Buffy. What he found was the cold mattress instead, and it left him disappointed. 'It was just a dream,' he thought. 'A very nice dream. But I can't see Buffy doing any of those things. It's so not like her.' Sitting up in bed, Angel rubbed his eyes, and then found the bedsheets tented around his waist. 'Just great.'

Climbing out of bed, he put his sweatpants on and went downstairs for something to drink. He poured himself a glass of milk, then took a seat at the kitchen table to do some thinking. 'What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I having these fantasies about Buffy? I can't be having feelings for her, can I?'

"What are you doing up?" a voice asked him.

Angel looked up from his drink, seeing Dawn standing in the doorway of the kitchen. "Dawn, I didn't see you there. I was just thinking. I didn't wake you, did I?"

"No, I was thirsty and I saw you sitting there. What's wrong? Can't sleep?"

"Nah. I had a strange dream. Needed to think."

Dawn got herself a glass of water and sat down across from him. "And so rather than waking up Buffy, you decided to come down here and think alone?"

"Something like that."

An awkward silence followed. "Angel, I guess I owe you an apology for the way I've been acting. I have been really mean to you and you don't deserve it," Dawn apologized.

"You've been going through a rough time of it lately. I understand that."

Dawn shrugged her shoulders. "That's no excuse. You've been so nice to us and given us a lot, especially Faith. And I can see how happy you make Buffy. Her entire face lights up when you come in the room."

"It does?"

"Totally. Buffy did something so unexpected when she married you and it threw me."

Angel narrowed his eyes. "Why's that?"

"Buffy's the last person in the world to run off and marry some guy she's only known for a week. We all figured Faith would be the one to do that, but never Buffy. I guess you could call her a hopeless romantic. Saving herself for Mr. Right but always meeting Mr. Wrong. Well, until she found you," Dawn said. "Even if you two don't always act like you're married all the time."

"I wasn't aware I came as a shock to everyone."

"That's okay. We like you. So far."

He laughed. "I hope you continue to like me. Although I want to warn you, I don't know how to deal with teenagers. As you can probably tell."

"Yeah, I've noticed. But that's okay. Just keep making Buffy happy. Angel, do you love her? Really, truly love her with all your heart?" she wanted to know.

"What's not to love about her?"

"I don't know. Faith says you two are perfect for each other. And I think she's right for once."


The next month passed by without incident. Following the accidental run-in in the bathroom, things between Angel and Buffy were uncomfortable for a few days. Neither knew quite what to say to the other, and it took several days before they could talk openly about it.

"Buffy, I'm really, really sorry about what happened Tuesday night," apologized Angel the following Friday at breakfast. "It was an accident."

She managed a half-smile. "Yeah, I know. I never thought you did it intentionally."

"Good. Do you think we can chalk it up to me not having shared a bathroom with a woman in a long time? I promise to knock next time."

"It's a deal. Although I have to admit, it did make me a little uncomfortable knowing you've seen me naked," Buffy said.

"I guess telling you that you're not the first woman I've seen naked isn't going to win me any points, is it?" he tried to joke.

Buffy shook her head. "Not really the way to go."

"Okay. Then, if it helps, the only thing I got a good look at was your tattoo. An angel, I like it."


Jenny sighed with exasperation when Buffy walked up to her desk. She didn't like the young blonde or her attitude. 'What does she want?' "Can I help you?" she asked with a put-out tone of voice.

"I'm here to see Angel," Buffy told her.

"Sorry. He's not to be disturbed; a big meeting in half an hour and he needs to be ready for it," she said, smirking with satisfaction. "Which means no unannounced visitors. But I'll be sure to tell him you stopped by, Miss Summers."

Buffy put on her best fake smile. "Angel already knows I'm coming; I called him earlier. You can check with him if you don't believe me."

With a scowl, the secretary stood up and headed to her boss' office door, knocking on it. "Mr. McKenzie?" she called, opening the door a crack.

"Yeah, Jenny?"

"Miss Summers is here to see you. Should I tell her to go?" 'Please say yes.'

"No, let her in. I'm expecting her," Angel informed her.

Dejected, Jenny turned back to Buffy. "You can go in, Miss Summers."

"Thank you." Before entering Angel's office, Buffy turned around. "By the way, Jenny, I would prefer it if you called me by my married name. Mrs. Angel McKenzie." Leaving the stunned secretary standing behind her desk, she went inside.

Angel stood when she entered. "Hey. I thought we were supposed to have lunch at noon," he reminded her. "It's almost one-thirty."

"Sorry. Course registration took a little longer than I anticipated. I grabbed something to eat at the Student Union." Buffy handed him a paper bag. "And I felt bad about stiffing you, so I brought you a sandwich."

"Thank you."

She sat down on the leather couch, Angel taking a seat next to her, opening his lunch. Buffy had bought him a BLT sandwich on white toast with french fries. "Your secretary has a major attitude problem. Would you please fire her?"

"Buffy!" he exclaimed after swallowing a bite of his sandwich. "I can't just fire her. Jenny's worked for me since I started here."

"Then tell her to stop being so rude to me when I come in here. If I didn't know any better, I'd think she's jealous of me. You know, because I'm your wife. I think she's got a thing for you."

Placing his hand on her knee, Angel smiled at her. "Would you feel better if I talked to her? Tell her to back off?"

"You'd do that?"

"Sure."

"I appreciate it, Angel. Thanks."

He took another bite of his sandwich. "Did you get all the classes you wanted?"

Buffy nodded. "Yep. Trigonometry, Shakespeare and Astronomy for my Gen Ed requirements. Constitutional Law and Tax Law for my Legal Studies requirements. This semester is going to be a blast. Goodbye social life."

"Doesn't sound all that bad. Constitutional Law is on the difficult side, though."

"That's why I'm married to a lawyer. So you can help me with all that hard stuff. Right?" she joked.

Angel laughed. "If you need help, I'll be glad to get you through it. But don't expect me to give you all the answers."

"I would never ask you to do that. Although there is one thing I want to ask you," Buffy said.

He knit his eyebrows together. "What's that?"

"Well, I kinda want to invite a few friends over on Friday night. Not a big party or anything, just Willow, Cordelia and Anya. We do this sleepover thing every month and it's my turn to host it," she told him. "I missed it last month because of Faith. Is it okay with you?"

"Go ahead. Let me guess, you want me out of the house?"

Buffy shook her head. "No, not at all. It's your house, after all; you can stay. In fact, if you want to join us, I'll even invite Xander and Oz."

"That's okay. I think I can find a way to keep myself busy for a night. Maybe I will take Dawn to the movies or something," Angel suggested. "Seeing as she and I are getting along these days."

"She's gonna stay with Faith this weekend."

"Oh. Okay."

She eyed him carefully. "Are you sure you're okay with turning your house over to a bunch of twenty year olds?"

"It's fine by me. You deserve a night with your girlfriends."

Throwing her arms around him, Buffy gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You're the best husband ever. You know, you're more like the big brother I never had and always wanted."

'She thinks of me as an older brother?' Angel thought. 'That's good, isn't it? Then why do I feel disappointed?'

"Mr. McKenzie, Lilah Morgan and Lindsey McDonald are here for your meeting," Jenny said over the intercom on his desk.

Pulling out of their embrace, Angel went to his desk. "Send them in, Jenny." He took a deep breath. "I hate to do this considering you just go here, but this is an important meeting, Buffy."

She got up. "It's okay. Should I expect you for dinner?"

"Yep, I'll be home. I might be a little late, though. I have to stop at the mall for some quick Christmas shopping. That reminds me, do you need any money for your shopping?" Angel wanted to know.

"No, I think I'm good. I saved up a lot from working at the café my last two weeks there. But thanks for the offer." She grabbed her purse. "See you later."

"Bye." He watched as Buffy left his office, just as Lilah and Lindsey were walking in. "Hi, guys."

Lindsey's gaze followed Buffy. "Whew," he whistled. "That is one good-looking girl, Angel. Too damn bad you're already married. I'd tell you to go for it."

"Newsflash, genius," Lilah began with a sigh. "That *is* his wife."

"Nice," the other lawyer commented. "How old is she again?"

Angel rolled his eyes. "She'll be twenty-one next month, Lindsey. Can we kindly change the subject? We have important things to discuss."


"Unless there's something else we need to go over, I say we call it a day," Angel announced three hours later.

Lindsey closed his notepad. "I think we've gone over everything." He glanced at his watch. "Well, I have to get ready for my date tonight. See you both tomorrow."

Once Lindsey closed the office door behind him, Lilah placed her belongings on the chair he'd vacated and sat herself down on the corner of Angel's desk. "Finally, alone at last."

"Lilah, I don't have time for this," Angel stated. "I have errands to run before I go home."

She raised her perfect-plucked eyebrows. "Aren't we becoming domesticated."

"Shut up."

"You know, there was once a time when you and I couldn't keep our hands off each other. You took me on the floor, on that couch and even right here on this desk. Remember?"

Angel began packing his briefcase. "Yes, I remember. But I'm not looking to relive ancient history with you. I'm married now."

"You're married. But are you happy? Because it's been my experience that happily married men have pictures of their wives on their desks. Where are all the pictures of the missus?" Lilah taunted.

"Get out, Lilah."

"Just making an observation, no need to jump down my throat."

"I mean it. I'm going to be late."

"What's this errand you have to run?" she wanted to know. "Does Buffy need you to pick up some fresh vegetables for dinner tonight?"

Angel narrowed his eyes. "Look, Lilah, it's over between us. What we had was a momentary physical attraction, that's it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to the jewelry store before it closes."


"What time are your friends getting here?" Angel asked Buffy Friday evening after dinner. She stood by the kitchen counter in her pajamas, pouring a bag of potato chips into a large tupperware bowl.

"In about ten or fifteen minutes. Cordelia's driving and I think they're stopping at the video store to pick up a movie." Buffy surveyed his outfit: blue jeans, a black dress shirt and his leather duster. "Are you going somewhere?"

Angel nodded. "Yeah. I'm meeting Spike at Willy's Pub for a few beers. I didn't want to be in the way tonight."

"I'm sorry. I feel bad for making it seem like I'm kicking you out of your own home. You don't have to go."

"No, it's okay. I haven't seen Spike since he got back from his L.A. excursion last week. Now's as good a time as any to catch up with him. Have fun, I should be back around ten or so."

Plagued with guilt, Buffy watched as he exited through the back door. 'Way to make him feel unwanted, Buffy,' she chastised herself. 'Angel's been nothing but nice and you practically kicked him out on his ass. Guess you're out of the running for Wife of the Year.'


From his seat at the bar, Angel took a sip of Guiness Stout. "How was L.A.?" he questioned his best friend, who sat to his left.

Spike shrugged his shoulders. "You know L.A.. It never changes. Still the same smoggy place it was last time I was there. I did, however, run into an old friend of yours."

"Who?"

"Darla Baker. Or whatever name she goes by these days."

Sighing, Angel stared into his mug of beer. "I think it's Darla Baker-Chandler now. Since the wedding."

"Like it matters. We bumped into each other at this quaint little tavern. She sends her love."

He scoffed. "I'm sure she does."

"Well well. Sounds like Darla really did a number on you. What, did she break your heart into a million tiny pieces?"

"Something like that."

"What's the matter, Peaches? Did she dump you? You are far too used to being the dumper than the dumpee," commented Spike.

Angel rolled his eyes. "Do we really need to discuss this, Spike? Darla's ancient history. So she dumped me, who cares? I like to think I've rebounded nicely."

Spike was about to reply when a shapely brunette in a red dress moved between their stools, facing Angel. "Hi."

"Hi," he replied casually. "Do I know you from somewhere?"

"No," the woman said, flashing him a seductive smile. "I was sitting over there and I saw you. Thought I would come over and introduce myself. I'm Paige."

He returned the smile. "Nice to meet you, Paige."

"Do you have a name?"

"Angelus."

She raised an eyebrow curiously. "That's an interesting name."

"I think so." He turned back to his drink in an attempt to get rid of her.

"So, Angelus," Paige began, not taking the hint, "can I buy you a drink?"

Angel lifted his three-quarters full glass. "I've already got one. But thanks anyway."

"How about another one?"

"No thank you. Look, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, Paige, but I'm not interested. Thing is, I'm married." Angel showed her his wedding band.

Paige stared long and hard at the gold ring on his left hand. "Oh, I see. Well then, it was nice meeting you." Without another word, she walked back to her table.

"Do you have any idea what you just did?" asked Spike incredulously. "That woman was offering herself to you on a silver platter. And you flat-out rejected her. I remember a time when you would have jumped at the chance to land in bed with a girl like that."

"I wasn't interested."

"Not interested? Are you bloody insane?! And what exactly was with that 'I'm married' crap? You aren't…housebroken, are you?"

Angel shook his head at his best friend. "Give it a rest, Spike."

"No, that's it. You've got feelings for the girl, don't you? The little chippy got to you. Hello, Peaches, it's a marriage of convenience, or have you forgotten?"

"No, I haven't forgotten, but I appreciate the reminder. What I do with my personal life is my business."

Spike gazed closely at the expression Angel's face. "Bleedin' Christ, you love her," he stated.

"No I don't."

"Like hell you don't."

"What do you want me to say? That I love her? I do. But I love her like a sister, that's it."

Spike wasn't so easily convinced. "Yeah, you love her like a sister. If you were both characters in a bloody V.C. Andrews novel. And if you truly believe you love her like a sister, then you're in serious denial."


"You have to be making that up!" Angel heard Buffy exclaim when he quietly walked through the back door two hours later. "There is no way that can be true."

"I kid you not. He honestly licked my lips when he kissed me," Cordelia said. "It was *the* most disgusting thing any guy has ever done to me. And that's saying a lot."

"Ew!" Willow scrunched her nose. "Oz would never do that."

Anya grinned devilishly. "Xander would totally do that. And has. You wouldn't believe what that man is capable of."

Cordelia started gagging. "Unfortunately, I dated him for almost a year in high school, I know what Xander is capable of. And I'd rather forget it if it's all the same to you."

"Whatever. What about Angel, Buffy? He's quite a tasty treat," Anya said.

Angel was about to enter the room when he heard his name. Curious as to what Buffy would say in reply, he stood out of their line of sight and listened.

"What about him, Anya?"

"The guy's a hottie, he's got the body of a god and he's wealthier than sin. On top of all that, he's your husband. He pledged his entire being – need I say body – to you for eternity. It's been over a month and you haven't given us any of the gory details. So spill it."

Buffy shrugged. "There isn't anything to spill. Angel's a great guy. End of story."

"Please, there's more to it than that."

"Yeah, Buff," agreed Cordelia. "He must be pretty amazing."

'What harm will a few little white lies cause?' the blonde asked herself. 'None of them would know if I'm not telling the truth.' "He is amazing. The best. At everything."

"At everything?" Anya repeated. "Who are you comparing him to? Your imaginary friend?"

"Anya…" Willow began.

She glared at the redhead. "What? It's not like it's a big secret that Buffy was still a virgin when she married Angel." The brown-haired girl paused. "You were, weren't you?"

"Yes, I was. So what?"

"Is he good in bed?"

Buffy chose her words carefully. "Let's just say he's not gifted only as a trial lawyer."

In the kitchen, Angel suppressed a laugh by covering his mouth with his hand. 'Well, it's good to know Buffy thinks highly of me. But I can't believe she's still…'

Willow's eyes widened. "Wow. Are you glad you waited?"

After a lengthy pause, Buffy nodded her head. "You know what, I am. I wanted to share it with the man I love." 'And I will. Someday.'

"And you did," her best friend concluded.

"Does anyone need another Pepsi?" the hostess asked, eager to change the subject. It was making her feel uncomfortable.

"I do," Cordelia answered.

"Yeah, me, too," Anya replied. "But you can't leave without answering at least one more question for me."

Buffy sighed. "Fine, but this is the last one. Then we drop the subject of my sex life."

"Agreed. All I want to know is what Angel wears to bed."

"Boxers," she replied without a moment's hesitation.

Laughing at her friends' preoccupation with her sex life, Buffy grabbed the empty soda cans and headed into the kitchen. Placing them on the counter, she jumped when she saw something moving out of the corner of her eye. When she saw it was her husband, she sighed with relief. "God, Angel, you scared me half to death."

He smiled apologetically, making all of her anger disappear. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"How's the party going?" Angel wanted to know.

"Peachy. Anya wants to know everything about our marriage. Particularly our sex life," she told him.

He laughed softly. "So I heard."

Buffy paled. "How much did you hear, exactly?" 'Oh lord, what if he heard me talking about his "gifts"? I'll be humiliated!'

"Not much; I just got home," he lied. Angel didn't want to embarrass her by saying he'd heard everything she'd said about him to her friends.

"Oh, good." Letting out a nervous breath, she opened the refrigerator and took out four cans of Pepsi. "I should get back out there. What are you going to do for the rest of the night?"

"I've got a case to go over, I'll probably work on it for a little while. Just gonna make myself a sandwich and go upstairs."

"Have fun."

"You, too." As she was about to leave the room, Angel called out to her. "Hey, Buffy?"

She turned around. "Yeah?"

"You were wrong about something out there."

"What's that?"

He smirked. "I don't wear boxers to bed. Most nights I don't wear anything at all," he admitted.

"Oh…"

"Don't worry about it. Your secret's safe with me."


The first rays of sun awoke Angel from his peaceful slumber at six-thirty the next morning. With a tired yawn, he sat up in bed, wondering why he had woken in the first place. The house was as quiet as a mouse, not a sound coming from the first floor where Buffy and her friends were sleeping. It wasn't until he glanced at the window that he realized whey he was awake: he had fallen asleep while reading the case file and had forgotten to close the blinds. Sighing, Angel climbed out of bed.

He took full advantage of being alone upstairs and headed straight for the bathroom to take a shower. Although he and Buffy had worked out a schedule for the bathroom – so as neither one of them would accidentally walk in on the other – Angel had all-but-forgotten what it felt like to take hot shower. One thing he didn't like about his new wife was her tendency to use all the hot water.

Emerging form the bathroom twenty minutes later dressed in blue jeans and a gray sweatshirt, Angel walked downstairs. The sight that awaited him brought a smile to his handsome face. All four girls lay in sleeping bags on the floor, a bowl of popcorn sat between Willow and Cordelia, and a bowl of potato chips to the right of Anya, who snored softly. His gaze rested on Buffy, sleeping parallel to the television. Her sleeping bag slipped to her waist, and he could see the fine hairs on her arm stand on end. Running his right hand over her arm, Angel covered her from the chilly air and went into the kitchen to fix his breakfast.


"Mmm…" Buffy groaned an hour later, rousing form a blissful dream. She had dreamt that she ran into Keanu Reeves at the mall and spent the rest of the day in his hotel room with him, sating their undeniable attraction. 'What time is it?' she wondered. Sitting up, she squinted her eyes and checked the time on the VCR. 'Seven fifty-six. Too damn early to get up.'

She tried to fall back to sleep but was awakened once again when she heard one of the cupboard doors close. 'Who could be up this early?' Looking around, Buffy found all of her friends still sleeping soundly on the floor. 'Must be Angel.' Pulling herself out of the sleeping bag, she adjusted her pajamas and made her way into the kitchen.

"Morning," she greeted groggily when she saw Angel sitting at the table reading the morning newspaper.

Angel looked up, surprised to hear her voice. "Hey, good morning. I didn't wake you, did I? I tried to be as quiet as possible."

"The cupboard door closing woke me up, but don't worry about it. I think I'm the only one out there who heard you."

"That's good."

She opened the refrigerator door, took out a carton of orange juice and began pouring herself a glass. "What are you doing up so early? It's not even eight in the morning on a Saturday."

"Couldn't sleep, I guess. I've actually been up for over an hour. Last night I must have fallen asleep while reading a file, and when I woke up the sun was shining right in my face. Rather than try to go back to sleep, I got up and took a shower."

"I see. Got any plans for today?" Buffy wanted to know.

He shook his head. "Nothing really exciting. Probably work on the case Lilah, Lindsey and I took on."

"Is it big?"

"It could be. We're defending the CEO of a New York-based company for the kidnapping and assault of a twenty-five year old prostitute. It happened in San Francisco, so I want to get as much office work done on the case before Lilah and I go there to gather evidence from the crime scene. We leave December twenty-seventh. I think I mentioned that to you a few days ago."

"You did, but it's still early yet for me to start recalling anything of importance. It sounds like an interesting case, though."

"There's no shortage of those, as I'm sure you'll find out when you start practicing law. Although it's not exactly Ally McBeal."

Buffy smiled at him. "Yeah, I gathered that much. So tell me, what did you and Spike do last night? Pick up women, perhaps?" she joked.

"I'm a married man, I take offense to that," Angel stated in a teasing tone. "Like I told you last night, we just went to Willy's. Did some catching up, nothing worth gossiping about. I should mention that Spike left with some woman named Paige. He picked her up after I told her I wasn't interested."

"At least one of you two is getting some. Why weren't you interested in her?"

"I told her I'm married."

"In name only, remember?" she reminded him.

Angel nodded. "I know, I know." 'As if you'd let me forget, even for a minute.' "But it's a good enough excuse to use when I want to get rid of an unwanted suitor."

She gazed down at her wedding band and engagement ring. "Yeah, I know." Buffy paused, collecting her thoughts. "How do you feel about making it real?"

"What do you mean?"

"I got to thinking last night. We've never shown any true emotions towards each other since we got married. I think maybe we need to start."

"How, exactly?" His curiosity got the better of him.

She shrugged. "I didn't really give it *that* much thought, but we should at least start slow, and make it convincing. A kiss here, a touch there. Just do what married couples do, except without the love and the sex."

"I can handle that. Can you?"

"Yeah, I can." 'Kissing and touching Angel…such a rough gig. Where did that come from?' Buffy wondered. "And telling each other stuff like a real husband and wife would. That doesn't seem too difficult. I already know what you wear to bed." 'Or don't wear.'

Closing his eyes, Angel laughed. "I can't believe I told you that. You didn't tell your friends, did you?"

"Nope. Remember what you said about it being our little secret? I'll take it to the grave."


"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Buffy questioned Angel Sunday afternoon. They sat facing one another on the living room couch. "It won't be uncomfortable at all for you?"

Angel gently placed his hand on her leg. "Buffy, don't worry about me. We'll be safe as houses. Unless you're uncomfortable with it."

"Not at all. It's for the good of the cause." From outside, they heard the slamming of a car door. "That's Dawn. Ready?"

"Ready."

As they listened to the jiggling of the doorknob, Buffy and Angel's lips moved closer and closer until they finally touched. While his hands played with the long strands of Buffy's flaxen hair, her right hand lay flat against the back of Angel's neck and her left one held him about his right arm. Without either one of them realizing it, the kiss grew in intensity, and Buffy felt her mouth open wide enough for her husband's tongue to slip inside.

When Dawn entered the house, she caught sight of her sister and brother-in-law making out on the couch. She could almost feel the heat they were generating from across the room. "Check out the lust bunnies," she muttered before heading upstairs to her bedroom.

It took close to a minute for the embrace to end. Both were left breathless, and shocked by how passionate their kiss became. "Is she gone?" Buffy whispered, out of breath.

Angel couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from her emerald ones. "Yeah, I think so. Do you think she fell for it?"

"Pretty sure." She took a deep breath. "That certainly got a little out of control."

"A little." 'A lot,' his body told him. Glancing down at himself, Angel was embarrassed and promptly moved to the other side of the couch. "It was a nice kiss, though."

"Definitely one of the best I've ever had." 'Why did he move away so quickly?'

"It ranks up there."

Buffy nodded her head. "But that's all it was, right? Just a fake kiss that got slightly out of control?" 'Sure, Buff. Like you weren't thrilled when you felt his tongue in your mouth. Who are you trying to kid?'

"Right. I guess I got caught up in the moment."

"We both did. But it makes it more realistic. And that's what we were aiming for."

"Yeah…realism." 'A little *too* real.'


Before anyone realized it, Christmas Day was upon them. Come Christmas morning, Buffy woke up to the sun shining and the birds chirping. Her alarm clock read nine-thirty, and she stretched her tired limbs. She had only gone to bed at two forty-five, having stayed up late to wrap Angel and Dawn's presents. With a groan, she climbed out of bed and threw a robe on over her pajamas.

As she descended the stairs, she was accosted by the smell of bacon and eggs. Buffy inhaled the scent, following its path to the kitchen. Inside she found Angel standing in front of the stove with a spatula in his hand. "Good morning," she greeted, yawning.

"Merry Christmas," replied Angel, giving his wife a cheerful smile. "I was wondering when you'd wake up."

"What are you doing up so early? Don't you ever sleep?"

He smirked. "Lawyers never sleep. Truth be told, I finally conked out around three in the morning. I've lived on a lot less than six hours of sleep, especially when I was in college."

"You big party animal," she teased. "So, what's cooking for breakfast? Aside from that delicious-smelling bacon."

He flipped the eggs. "Dawn told me about the Summers Christmas morning tradition of omelets, bacon, pancakes and toast. I thought I'd try to keep things traditional for the two of you. You know, given the circumstances."

Buffy shook her head in wonder. "Has anyone told you how amazing you are? I can't think of any fake husbands who'd do that."

Feeling slightly hurt by her words, Angel couldn't look her in the eye. "Yeah, I'm real amazing."

"Is something wrong?" Buffy noticed the change in his tone. She was afraid she'd said something wrong.

"No, everything's fine. Just sit down at the table, breakfast will be ready in a few minutes," he told her.

Buffy looked toward the doorway. "Do you want me to wake Dawn? She can be a real bear when it comes time to get up."

"I already woke her. She's getting ready now."


"You have to open mine first," Dawn told her sister, handing the blonde a gift-wrapped box. "I hope you like it, Faith helped me pick it out."

Buffy took the box, shaking it. It was light in weight. The contents hit the sides of the box. "It isn't a sweater, is it? Remember the one you bought me last year? It wouldn't have fit a Barbie doll."

Dawn laughed. "It's not a sweater, Buffy, I promise. And I know for a fact you don't have one of these. I sifted through your closet before Faith took me shopping last week."

"Why am I suddenly frightened?"

"Just open it," the fifteen year old sighed. "Angel, tell Buffy she's being a big baby."

"You're being a big baby, Buffy," Angel repeated.

She swatted her husband on the upper arm. "Shut up. Don't encourage her." With extreme curiosity, Buffy unwrapped her gift. When she opened the box, seeing its contents, her green eyes were wide with shock. "I don't believe you actually bought this."

Dawn grinned. "Believe it."

"What is it?" Angel asked.

Laughing, Buffy lifted her gift from the box. Dawn had given her a black negligee that, if she had it on, would conceal nothing. He nodded with appreciation. "I like it."

"You would!" Buffy accused.

"What's the big deal?" Dawn wanted to know. "It isn't like you'll be wearing it for very long. You put it on, Angel looks at it on you and five minutes later it's on the floor."

"Not even five minutes," he said with a smirk.

Buffy glared at him. "You're not helping, Angel."

"I'm just putting my two cents in."

"Save it. She doesn't need your encouragement. And as for you," she continued, turning her attention to her younger sister. "Who let you buy this?"

"I told you. Faith was with me. We went into Victoria's Secret, I picked it out and she paid for it."

Shaking her head, she put the nightgown back in the box. "Okay, who's next?"

"Open something from me," Angel suggested. He took a small box from the pile and placed it in front of her.

Buffy eyed it suspiciously. "Faith didn't buy this with you, did she?" After the last gift, she was afraid to open anything else.

"No," he answered with a shake of his head. "I don't need anyone's help when I do my Christmas shopping. Especially for you."

"That's a relief. I think." She ripped off the wrapping paper, finding a velvet box, obviously from a jewelry store. "Good lord."

"Open it," prodded Angel.

Carefully, Buffy opened the box, gasping when she saw the gold necklace sitting inside. On a long gold chain hung a heart-shaped opal with two hands on either side and a crown on top of it. "Angel, you didn't."

"I did."

Dawn ran over to see it. "Wow. That's really beautiful. And expensive, too, I bet."

"Well, it definitely set me back, but the look on your face makes it worth it," Angel told Buffy. "It's a claddagh necklace. The crown represents loyalty, the hands friendship and the heart love. It's really symbolic to the Irish."

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. May I put it on you?" he asked.

"Of course you can."

With great care, Angel removed the delicate chain from the box and placed it around Buffy's neck. His fingers fiddled with the tiny, complicated clasp but after ten seconds, he prevailed. However, he let them run lightly across the soft skin of her neck. "All done."

Buffy stood up and walked to the mirror hanging on the wall near the front door. "It looks–"

"Perfect," Angel finished, coming up behind her. He met her eyes in the mirror. "It's absolutely perfect."


"Sorry I had to miss Christmas morning with you guys," Faith apologized. "You know I would have been there if I could. I needed to work that double shift today to pay the utilities on this house."

Buffy cradled the phone between her ear and right shoulder while she slid into her robe. She had just gotten out of the shower ten minutes earlier. "It's okay. The three Summers girls will just have to do Christmas later this week. Angel leaves for San Francisco the day after tomorrow, so we can do it then."

"Sounds like a plan to me. Tell me, did you like Dawn's present?"

"I hear you helped her pick it out."

"No, no. She picked it out, I went up to the counter and paid for it. The salesgirls were giving Dawnie weird looks."

Buffy chuckled. "Gee, I wonder why. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that she's a fifteen year old girl shopping at Victoria's Secret."

"Hey, if it were up to me, we'd have been shopping at Frederick's of Hollywood. You're not ready for that yet, B."

"Faith, where am I supposed to wear that thing?"

"I'm sure Angel wouldn't mind if you modeled it for him," Faith teased. "Go on, put it on and walk into his room. See if you can get a rise out of him."

She shook her head. "Yeah right. I *so* don't think so."

"So, what did Pretty Boy get you for your first Christmas as a married couple?" she wanted to know.

"A gift certificate to Maria's Massage Parlor, a couple nice blouses, a painting of a beach sunset, and a few other little things. Oh my god, Faith, he gave me a gold necklace with an opal in it. And he even said it wasn't cheap."

Faith whistled. "Sounds nice. What's the big deal? He bought you some nice, expensive jewelry."

"It doesn't strike you as weird at all?"

"Should it?"

"He bought me an expensive necklace. Isn't that something you do when you're *really* married to someone? It's not a gift you buy for someone you are pretending to be married to."

She sighed with exasperation. "The guy bought you a nice necklace and you're making it out to be the crime of the century."

"That's not it. I mean, what if that's his way of saying he wants more? Maybe Angel's buying me nice things so I'll stay after the three years is up."

"A guy like that doesn't need to buy a wife. Well, present company excluded, considering you two have a business arrangement. You're paranoid, you know that?"

"No, I'm not!" Buffy argued.

"Then ask him. Grow a pair, Buffy."

Fifteen minutes later, the two hung up. Buffy knew she needed to talk to Angel, but was unsure of how to bring it up without possibly hurting his feelings . That was the last thing she wanted to do, especially considering how nice he'd been to her. Taking a tentative breath, she knocked on his bedroom door.

"Come on in, Buffy," Angel replied.

She entered, finding him seated at the small oak desk on the other side of the room. "Am I interrupting you?"

Angel shook his head, standing up. "It's nothing that can't wait. What can I do for you?"

"I came to give this back." Buffy handed him the box containing the claddagh necklace.

He stared at it, dumbfounded. "What's wrong with it? Don't you like it? I thought you did."

"I do. I love it, Angel. It's the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen. And that's why I'm giving it back, because it's so beautiful. I can't keep it, it's not right," she told him.

"I don't get it."

"Angel, I don't want to owe you anything when it comes time for this marriage to end. And I'm afraid I won't be able to give this back." 'I can't do it; I can't tell him the truth.'

He handed it back to her. "You don't have to give it back. The necklace is yours. When I saw it, I immediately thought of you. Buffy, you deserve beautiful things. You'll meet someone someday who'll buy them for you, but for now, it's my privilege. Please, keep it; wear it next Monday night at the New Year's Eve party. I don't want anything in return. You have my word on that."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. Trust me." 'But she doesn't trust me. I know it. I have to make her see that she can trust me with her life.'


The man standing behind the front desk smiled at Angel and Lilah as they approached him. "Good afternoon and welcome to the Marriot. How may I help you?" he asked them.

Angel placed his suitcase on the ground near his feet. "I have reservations under the name McKenzie. Angelus McKenzie."

The man typed in Angel's last name on his computer screen. "Ah, yes. Adjoining rooms with a single bed each. Rooms 326 and 327. How will you be paying, with check or credit card?"

"Credit card." Angel handed him his VISA card. He knew the rooms weren't inexpensive, but his client had promised to fully compensate him for the cost regardless of the outcome of the trial.

"Very well, you are all set. Roberto will show you to your rooms," the man told Angel, giving him a set of keys. Lilah held out her hand to retrieve her set. "Yours is Room 327. If you'd like to, I can buy you a drink after my shift is over. I get off at four o'clock."

Lilah made a face. "Not on your best day."

As they were waiting for the elevator, Angel turned to his former lover. "He certainly seemed interested. You heard him, he gets off at four."

"Well, he's not getting off with me tonight. Lower middle class men make my skin crawl."

He shook his head. "It's your loss."


It had been a long, hard day of fact-finding and evidence-gathering, and by the time the two of them returned to the hotel, Angel was exhausted. By quarter after ten, he had already showered, called home to see how things were back in Sunnydale and was fast asleep. It had been years since he'd fallen asleep before midnight, and it felt good to do so.

Only a few feet away in the next room, Lilah was wide awake. She'd been awaiting the perfect opportunity for months – the opportunity to once again make love to Angel. Of all the men she had been with since high school, Angel McKenzie was the only one to affect her in such a way. He embodied everything she wanted in a partner: handsome, successful, intelligent, and most importantly, rich.

She was determined to make him hers. Lilah didn't want just any man, she wanted the male equivalent of herself. She and Angel had been lovers months earlier, and she was eager to rekindle the fire they'd started on his office desk back in June. The only problem she could see was the existence of Angel's wife. But Lilah knew getting rid of Buffy wouldn't be difficult; how could a twenty year old college student compare to her?

Dropping her robe on the floor, Lilah listened at the door adjoining hers and Angel's rooms. Not a sound could be heard from his side. With a sly grin, she opened the door and found nothing but darkness. 'He's sleeping already? Interesting.' Directing her eyes to the left of the door, Lilah saw her intended under the covers of the bed, sleeping peacefully.

"Your mother knew what she was doing when she named you Angel," she whispered.

Carefully, she climbed onto the bed and pulled the covers from his body. Her eyes widened with surprise when she discovered that he had nothing else on. 'Well, well, well…' she mused. 'I never expected this. Makes it so much easier this way.' Straddling his waist, Lilah placed her hands on either side of his arms and brought her lips to his. Within a few seconds he was responding to her.

Angel moaned as the kiss deepened, his hands finding the slender waist of the woman kissing him. "Buffy…" he groaned when he felt a small hand traveling below his waist. "I need you, I need to be with you. Please don't make me wait any longer…"

"It's not Buffy, my Angel," Lilah informed him. "Guess again."

His brown eyes shot open, staring directly into the eyes of Lilah Morgan. "What are you doing here?" he demanded.

"Giving you something it sounds like your precious little wife hasn't been giving you. You were moaning like a man who hasn't been touched in months. What's the matter, isn't Buffy allowing you conjugal visits?"

"Get out, Lilah!" Angel demanded, pushing her off him and onto the floor. "You and I are over. I'm married to Buffy now."

"Oh, please. I can do things your cheerleader couldn't even do on her best day and you know it. Maybe she could use a few pointers, she obviously isn't turning you on."

Angered over what she was saying about his wife, Angel jumped out of bed, grabbed Lilah by the arm and dragged her out of his room. "You aren't a part of my sex life anymore; you don't have the slightest idea as to what turns me on."

"Oh, I think I do," she replied, gazing down at his hardness. "Hey, do whatever you want, Angel. Go ahead, finish yourself off. I don't want to anymore. Maybe you can picture your wife and moan her name like you were when I was getting you that way." Turning on her heel, Lilah slammed her door shut.

Sighing, Angel closed his side of the door and locked it, making sure he wouldn't be bothered by her again that night. Looking down at himself, he shook his head. 'Was I really calling for Buffy?'


Buffy twirled in front of the mirror with her younger sister looking on. It was New Year's Eve and she was getting ready for Angel's firm's party. "Well, Dawnie, how do I look?"

"Like a princess going to a ball. Angel's gonna flip out when he sees you in that dress. It looks great on you," Dawn complimented.

"Yeah, Cordy's got great taste in clothes, I have to hand it to her for picking this one out. But the idea was for me to look elegant, not make Angel 'flip out'."

She laughed. "It will, though. And with your new haircut, you look so pretty. And a lot older. You could be twenty-five for all they know. Hey, maybe Angel will love it so much you two will…you know, make me an aunt in nine months or so." Dawn wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Buffy shook her head. "This coming from you, who was so upset about me getting married in the first place? Now you want little nieces and nephews running around the house? Don't get your hopes up."

A knock sounded at the bathroom door. "Is it safe to come in?" Angel asked. He'd gotten home from San Francisco two hours earlier, and Dawn had refused to let him see his wife; she said it was a surprise.

"No!" Dawn exclaimed. "Stay out, she's not ready yet! Go wait downstairs. You can't see her yet."

"Okay, I'll wait downstairs. But we have to leave in a couple minutes," he told them. 'What is this, a wedding? What's the big deal, it's just a party. I'll never understand women when it comes to parties and dressing up. They all make it out to be such a big deal.' Without another word, he went back into his room, grabbed his suit coat and headed for the first floor.

"I think you're ready. You have to make an entrance," the fifteen year old said.

Buffy quickly ran her hand through her hair. "I guess this is as good as it gets. I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille."

Dawn gave her sister a funny look. "Huh?"

"Forget it. Let's go."

The younger Summers sister ran ahead of Buffy to the top of the stairs. "Here she is. Prepare yourself for Cinderella," she told her brother-in-law.

Rolling his eyes, Angel stuffed his hands in his pants pockets. As soon as Buffy stepped into view, he stopped breathing. Never in his thirty years had he seen anything – or anyone – so breathtaking. Her dress was dark red and fell to the ground, held up by spaghetti straps, accentuating her sensual curves. On her feet were sandals of the same color. But the biggest surprise was her hair; it was cut approximately six inches since when he'd last seen her, falling above her shoulders and darkened to a dirty blonde. She looked older than her twenty years.

"Well, aren't you going to say anything?" Buffy questioned when she reached the last step. Angel had not yet said a word to her.

"W-What?"

"Is something wrong?"

"No, not at all. You just…you look amazing. Words can't even begin to describe how beautiful you look. I'll be the envy of every man there. Are you ready to go?" 'One man goes near her and I'll rip his head off,' Angel swore to himself.

She nodded. "Yep. Let's go party until 2002."

More

<< back