"And Baby Makes Three"

Author: Pamela
Contact:
destructo-girl@cox.net
Notes:
Savage Garden is the proud owner of "I Knew I Loved You."

A few seconds later, they heard the beautiful sound of their child crying. They both grinned and let out sighs of relief. Their baby was here!

"It's a boy!" Dr. Crawford announced.

A nurse wrapped the tiny child in a blue blanket and laid him on Buffy's chest. She sighed as she held her son for the first time. He had Angel's chocolate-brown eyes. Joyce and Cordelia moved away and let the couple have a moment alone with their son.

Angel gazed down at him in amazement. He was a miracle. He'd been a vampire, destined to spend eternity slaughtering humans. Then he'd been given his soul and a chance at redemption with a beautiful, pure girl. A girl that had somehow fallen in love with him. For some reason, the powers that be had seen fit to grant him his humanity again, for which he was eternally grateful. Otherwise he might not be sitting there with the woman he loved and the tiny life their love had created.

All too soon, they were taking the baby away to clean him up and run some tests. Buffy had made it clear she wanted to keep him in the room with her, so they promised to return him within an hour and told her to try to get some rest.

Soon after, Joyce began ushering everyone out of the room; promising Spike she'd get him to the basement where there was a sewer entrance without getting him turned to ashes.

The doctor came back in to give Buffy some stitches, since she had torn a bit during the labor. After that was done, Buffy insisted on showering, because she felt so dirty after sweating so much. After Angel had helped her bathe. He dressed her in her own pajamas, trying not to notice her body appeared to have shrunk right back to her pre-pregnancy size, save for her swollen breasts. He had a four to six week wait ahead of him.

Angel sat quietly in a chair and watched Buffy doze. She was exhausted after the hours of labor and lack of sleep. He was far too wired to sleep. He had a son! He was a father! He and Buffy were parents... it was all too unreal.

Half an hour later, a nurse came in with a plastic crib. Angel smiled as he saw their little boy sleeping inside it with a little blue cap and matching blanket on him.

"Here's Baby Boy McKellen." The nurse said quietly, so as not to wake Buffy. "He might wake up hungry in a while. Your wife is going to breastfeed, right?"

Angel nodded, paying close attention to any directions she might give him. He couldn't screw up when it came to his son.

"Okay, well if she needs help, just have her hit the call button and one of the nurses can come help her. Okay?"

Angel nodded again. He could do that. With a reassuring smile, the nurse left them alone with the baby.

Buffy awoke, extremely disoriented. The first thing she noticed was that she was on her back and her stomach wasn't a huge mass. In fact, she might have been able to see her feet if her breasts weren't so much bigger than usual. She'd never noticed how much they'd grown.

Then she realized the reason she'd woken up was that a baby was crying. Her baby.

She pushed herself into a sitting position and saw the little crib near the foot of her bed and Angel standing beside it looking panicked.

"Angel?" She asked, concerned there was something wrong.

He looked over at her. "He's supposed to be hungry!"

"Okay, well, could you hand him to me? I can feed him." Buffy smiled, feeling a rush of excitement at feeding her baby for the first time.

"You mean pick him up?"

"Yeah... just remember how I showed you with Toby so long ago. You know... the whole supporting his head thing."

Angel nodded and took a deep breath before carefully lifting the baby out of the crib and bringing him to Buffy.

"Should we call a nurse to show you how?" He asked. "So you won't hurt him."

Buffy chuckled as she undid the top few buttons of her pajamas. "I know what I'm doing."

Angel watched with wonderment as their son latched onto Buffy's nipple and began feeding hungrily from her. He watched the two of them in awe; they were his everything.

Maybe it's intuition
but some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I found my best friend
I know that it might sound more than a little crazy
But I believe

From the moment, he had first seen her Angel had loved Buffy. He'd known she'd change his life, but he had no idea how vastly she would. She'd given purpose. She'd given him hope and faith in humanity. She'd given him love.

Now, she'd given him a child.

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

Angel's eyes moved down to the tiny baby Buffy held to her. He was awe-inspiring. A little life that had grown inside the woman Angel cherished. And he'd helped create him. Something from him had melded with Buffy, creating a life.

There's just no rhyme or reason
Only this sense of completion
And in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I've found my way home

Life never felt so right. He'd gone from a man who despised his very being to a man with a job, with a wife, with a son. He had a purpose he had joys. Of course, pain came with that, but now it didn't matter. All that mattered was the three of them.

I know that it might sound more than a little crazy
But I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

Buffy was blissful. Her very own child was in her arms and she was nurturing him. Nothing in her life had felt so right. He was beautiful; she could already see so much of Angel in him.

A thousand angels dance around you
I am complete now that I've found you

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

As her son finished eating and fell back asleep, Buffy felt tired as well. But it was a good tired. She was content.

She loved Angel and he loved her. Their son would have the life she'd always wanted growing up. He'd have two parents that were completely in love and caring. Parents that would be mushy and always flirt and kiss each other and embarrass him.

But he would have a happy home.

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

"Boy, you can tell they gave you drugs, Buffy, your baby looks stoned!" Xander exclaimed as he peered down at the newborn that lay bundled up in his mother's arms.

"Xander!" Buffy, Angel, Cordelia, Joyce and Giles all scolded in unison as Spike smacked the boy upside his head.

"Thanks Spike." Buffy smiled.

Spike grinned in return. "Anything for you, Luv. So when are you and my little brother coming home? I don't know how long I'll be able to stand living alone with the big poof."

Angel rolled his eyes from his spot sitting on the edge of the bed next to Buffy.

"Probably tomorrow afternoon. I sure hope so because we don't like it here, do we Sweetie?" Buffy cooed at the baby.

"Did you guys pick a name yet? This is *sad*!" Cordelia exclaimed, pointing to the sign on the side of the crib that said 'Baby Boy McKellen'.

Angel and Buffy looked at each other and grinned.

"We did..." Angel replied. "Everyone, this is Jacob-Henry Sebastian McKellen."

 

The End

 

<< back