"Maternity Woes"

Author: Pamela
Contact:
destructo-girl@cox.net

"Angel!" Buffy called from her spot on the couch in the living room. Angel rushed out of the kitchen where he'd been reading the paper to see what was wrong with his wife.

She looked up at him, excited, with a hand on her ever-growing belly. They'd been home from Hawaii for just over two weeks and Buffy had gained nearly ten pounds. It was growing more and more evident that she was indeed pregnant. In fact, all she could really fit into of her clothes was her overalls, so she wore them on a daily basis.

"What's wrong?"

"Hurry! It's kicking!" She told him.

Angel rushed to kneel in front of her, letting her place his hand on her belly. "Oh my god!"

"I know." She laughed. "The baby is moving around and kicking!"

Angel couldn't stop staring at her belly in amazement. "Our baby."

The kicking ceased a few seconds later and Angel excitedly kissed his wife. "Are you sure you don't want me to go into work late so that I can go with you to the doctor?"

"No, Angel, you go to work. I'll be fine. And Dr. Crawford promised that she'd give me a tape of the sonogram so we can watch Baby TV tonight."

"Sounds like a date."

"Oh... and if I am still thinking it sounds good later will you pick up pizza for dinner?" She asked, a charming smile on her face.

"Of course, like I could ever say no to you." Angel replied before glancing at his watch. "I better get to the gallery... Will you call me when you get home from the doctor?"

"You got it."

"Maybe you should go shopping this afternoon... get some new clothes so you don't have to wear those overalls all the time." He suggested helpfully.

Buffy glared at him. "Because I'm a big fat pig?"

"No! But Buffy... you're pregnant... you need pregnant clothes." He reasoned.

Buffy gasped. "Don't you ever say that again!"

"What, that you need to shop for maternity clothes?"

Buffy put a hand to her chest and stood up, her eyes welling with tears. "You're so insensitive."

Angel drew her into his arms. "I'm sorry Honey... it's just that it's the middle of summer and those overalls are so hot... you should at least go buy some short ones. Think about it?"

Buffy nodded.

"Okay then, I better get going. You have a good day." He told her, kissing her on the forehead.

"You too. I love you."

"I love you too. The both of you." Angel replied, kissing his wife on the lips. Then he turned and went out the door.

"My goodness... We grew this past month, didn't we?" Dr. Crawford smiled as she walked into the exam room and saw Buffy waiting for her.

Buffy immediately began to cry.

Dr. Crawford smiled sympathetically and patted her patient's back. "And I see your hormones are raging... but you look great Buffy."

"I do not! Angel told me I need maternity clothes!"

"Well, no offense, but I doubt you fit in the clothes you wore when you were tiny."

"I wear my overalls." Buffy sniffled.

"Go get some maternity clothes. They have a lot of cute shops at the supermall in Santa Barbara."

"Maternity clothes make you look stupid. I'll just go buy overalls. Bigger ones."

Dr. Crawford looked at her incredulously. "You are never going to need to wear anything more dressy than overalls until after you have the baby?"

"Oh, like I am going to be going out in public a lot when I am a cow!"

The doctor simply rolled her eyes, then directed Buffy to lie back so they could begin the examination.

"You'll make a tape, right? My husband really wants to see the baby too, but he went to work because we were told I'd get a tape."

"You'll get a tape." The technician, Dr. Sands, reassured Buffy as she set up the sonogram and looked at Buffy's charts. "Wow... you're almost in your 20th week!"

Buffy beamed. "I will be next week. Last Sunday was my halfway point."

"Very exciting! Did you want to know the sex?"

Buffy shook her head. "We want a surprise."

"Okay... most people can't wait, I admire your will power." Dr. Sands told her as she began the sonogram. "Are you having some pain and soreness in your abdomen?"

"Yeah... I've had it off and on for about two and a half weeks now."

"Did you start getting bigger faster?"

"Yup."

"Good... that's normal. The baby is growing and stretching you. You'll gain probably ten pounds within a few weeks... definitely by your next appointment." Dr. Sands informed her.

Buffy cringed; she couldn't postpone maternity clothes any longer. If she got any bigger she'd have to wear Angel's pants rolled up.

"Here we go! There's your baby."

Buffy smiled and touched the screen where she saw a definite baby shape. "That's amazing."

"Yes it is." The doctor smiled. "Looks like it's sleeping."

Buffy nodded. "The baby kicked this morning. It was so... exciting."

"Yeah, it really puts things in perspective. Everything looks perfect, although Baby McKellen doesn't seem to want to do any fancy moves for Daddy to see later."

"That's all right... he'll be ecstatic just watching the baby being still. Do I get more pictures?"

"Of course, does Dad have them in his wallet?"

Buffy grinned and nodded. "He shows them to *everyone*."

"Aww... Sounds like the proud Papa."

"That's him all right." Buffy smiled, thoroughly enjoying bragging about her husband.

"So everything is perfect? That's great!" Angel grinned as he talked to his wife on the phone. "Are we still having pizza for dinner? Yeah, you order it and just call me before I go tonight so I know where to pick it up. I love you too. Bye."

"The baby is doing well?" Joyce asked as she stood in the doorway to Angel's office.

"Perfect health. As well as it's mother... She's just stubborn as a mule."

"Oh that's nothing new." Joyce told him as she sat down in a chair. "What now?"

"She's almost five months pregnant and she called me insensitive for suggesting she wear maternity clothes. All she can fit into is her overalls and they are getting tight."

Joyce smiled. "Sounds like Buffy. I'll talk to her. Maybe I can get her to go shopping with me this afternoon... then we could all watch the sonogram at my house?"

Angel nodded. "You might have to bribe her with food."

"I have a lasagna in the freezer that I can get Rupert to put in the oven and I can take her to lunch. I have no appointments this afternoon."

Angel nodded. "You just might succeed."

"Overalls, Mom, just overalls."

"Buffy we will look around. I agree, you should get a pair of maternity overalls, but you might be surprised at how cute maternity clothes are these days." Joyce argued as she drove her daughter to Santa Barbara. It was less than half an hour on the freeway, which was good. Sunnydale was rather limited on its selection of... everything.

"I refuse to wear leggings. And those baggy tops...most of them look like circus tents!"

Joyce laughed. "Don't worry honey. When I was shopping while I was pregnant with Toby, I kept you in mind. I saw some things you'll like. Now where do you want to go to lunch?"

Buffy sighed and opened the door to the dressing room. She stepped out uncomfortably.

Joyce walked up to her daughter and looked her over in the light blue tank dress she'd picked out for her. "You look so pretty. This is definitely your color."

Buffy scowled. "I look *pregnant*!"

"Yes, you do. After all, you *are* pregnant. Now go put that pillow thing on so we can see if you'll look nice in this in a few months."

Sighing, Buffy obeyed. As she strapped the pillow around her abdomen, she told her mother. "I don't even understand why I need a dress... overalls are just fine."

"Honey you can't wear overalls everywhere! Don't forget that show for that new artist at the gallery next week. That's a formal attire event."

Buffy opened the door and looked at her mother incredulously. "I'm not going to that!"

"What? You said you would when I first told you about it!"

"Yeah, but that was two months ago... before I was huge! And look... I'm gonna get way big! I can't even see my feet!"

"They're still there. Let's get this one, it's cute. Although, for next week you should probably wear black."

Buffy gave her mother a look. "I don't want to go to the gallery with all those smart art people so that they can see me all huge and judge me and make me feel grosser than I do."

"They won't!" Joyce argued. "Just do it for Angel.. he needs to be there and I know he'll want to show you off."

Buffy sighed and went back into the fitting room to get back in her own clothes. Joyce tried to be peppy. Their first store and they had already found one item. Okay, *she* had found it and it didn't appear Buffy even liked the dress, but she was letting Joyce talk her into buying it, so that was a sign she might wear it.

After Buffy had made her purchase, Joyce dragged her into Belly Basics. The mere name of the store dissuaded Buffy from wanting to enter, but Joyce promised she would like it.

As it turned out, she did. They had a pregnancy kit, which consisted of four pieces of black clothing... so Buffy had a slimming color to wear and Joyce had her daughter in maternity clothes. They spent another hour going through all four maternity clothing shops at the mall, and got Buffy quite a wardrobe. They managed to find bootleg pants that Buffy liked, so she had those, capri pants, overalls, and some casual dresses. They bought a few nice outfits, along with sweater sets and some maternity tops that didn't make Buffy look like she was wearing a "circus tent."

Best of all, buying the clothes seemed to make Buffy feel a lot better about her expanding waistline. Joyce actually had no problem getting her to change into one of her new outfits before they headed home to meet their respective husbands.

"We're home!" Joyce called as she and Buffy came in the front door.

Angel looked up from his spot on the living room couch where he was feeding Toby. Giles had left a few moments earlier to check on the lasagna cooking in the oven. He was relived to see his mother in law without so much as a hair out of place. He'd worried that she might pull it all out in frustration.

And then Buffy walked in, looking gorgeous in a pair of gray capri pants with a matching sleeveless top. She smiled shyly, and he could tell she was a bit nervous about how he would feel. He realized that she was insecure in his love for her since she was changing so much from when they married.

"You look fabulous." He grinned.

"Doesn't she?" Joyce grinned as she took her baby from Angel's arms. "Hi Toby, Mommy missed you!"

As she headed into the kitchen with the baby to see her husband, Angel held his arms open. Buffy walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist. Angel hugged her tightly, kissing her tenderly on the lips.

"Do I really look okay?"

"No... you look beautiful."

"Buffy, Angel... dinner's ready." Joyce called from the kitchen.

Angel led his wife by the hand to the dining room table that he and Giles had set. Joyce came out with a basket of bread in one hand and a sleeping Toby in the other. She set the bread down before laying her son in the bassinet in the living room. Giles came out with the pan of lasagna.

"Buffy, you look very nice." He smiled, heeding his wife's advice. Generally, he didn't notice what she wore, as long as it wasn't one of those bizarre fads teenagers were known for.

"Thanks." Buffy smiled as Angel held a chair out for her.

They all sat down and began eating their supper. Angel pestered Buffy to eat a lot, since she'd made the mistake of telling him the doctor told her she needed to eat more.

When they were done eating, they all gathered in front of the TV to watch the tape of Buffy's sonogram. Angel, as always, was mesmerized. The whole time he stared at the screen with his hand on Buffy's belly.

Joyce insisted that she and Giles could do the dishes, ordering Angel to take his wife home and make her take a bath.

So he did. As soon as they got home, Angel went right upstairs and ran a bath, making sure it was warm, but not too warm, since he'd read that it was bad for the baby if the water got too hot. While his wife soaked her tired limbs in the tub, Angel went downstairs and fixed the both of them a snack of milk and cookies. He set the tray on the dresser and began turning the bed down, then began putting on some pajamas.

As he got ready, Buffy climbed out of the tub and wrapped a towel around herself. Then she moved over to the counter and picked up her brush. As she combed through her hair, her husband came up behind her, making her smile.

"Ready for bed?" He asked.

"Very." She replied.

Smiling, he picked her up and carried her bridegroom style into the bedroom where he lay her carefully on the bed. Before he could move away, she placed her hand at the back of his neck and pulled him down to kiss her.

When they broke apart for air, she quietly asked "Make love to me?"

"You sure you're up to it?"

Buffy smiled coyly. "I'm *up* for it... but it's more important you are."

"Oh, I always am for you." He laughed as he pulled off his t-shirt, then got up off the bed and pulled off his pants. Before he got back on the bed, he realized they needed to figure out which way to position themselves... she was getting too big for the missionary position.

Knowing what he was thinking, Buffy unwrapped the towel from her and laid on her side with her back to him. Knowing what she meant, Angel lay behind her and reached an arm around her.

He kissed her tenderly on the shoulder. "Are your breasts sore?"

Buffy smiled. "Nope."

Angel wrapped his arms around her, squeezing a breast in each hand before he rolled her nipples between his fingers. Slowly, his hands drifted down her body until they were stroking her moist center. Buffy began to moan as beads of sweat appeared on her forehead. She wiggled against him as she begged for release.

When she was teetering on the edge, he removed his hand from her, despite her cry of protest. He sucked all her juices from his fingers before lifting her leg and laying it atop his thigh. He moved his erection to her entrance, teasing her until she sobbed and begged. Slowly, he slipped inside her. Buffy moaned when he had completely sheathed himself in her warmth. As soon as he thrust once, she came, shaking violently in her husband's embrace.

Together, they moved slowly, drawing their pleasure out. Buffy turned her head to catch Angel's lips in a kiss. As they came closer to orgasm, they began moving faster and harder. Buffy bit her bottom lip as she once again fell over the edge of ecstasy. The feeling of her muscles clamping down on his hardness was enough for Angel as he exploded deep inside her.

When they had calmed, Angel rolled her over so that he could hug her tightly. The couple kissed and whispered words of love to each other.

"I almost forgot... I got us milk and cookies... Do you want them?" Angel asked.

Buffy nodded eagerly, so he got up as Buffy got under the covers. As he made his way back to the bed, Buffy held the blankets up so she could cover him when he got in. He kissed his wife on the cheek as he settled in the bed.

"Wanna watch TV?" He asked, holding up the remote.

They spent the rest of the night in bed, eating cookies and watching news shows. Some people might have found that boring, but to the two of them...

It was more than they'd ever dreamed possible.

The End

 

<< back