"The Responsibilities of Sisterhood"

Author: Pamela
Contact:
destructo-girl@cox.net

Buffy sat nervously in the backseat of Giles' Camry. Joyce sat in the front passenger seat babbling endlessly about some new artist, while Giles sat in the driver's seat, nodding politely. Buffy didn't know how she had herself into this. Why did she have to be daughter of the century? She had accepted her mother marrying Giles; she wasn't even freaking that her mom was pregnant! Why did she have to be an "involved sibling" anyway? Her mother even wanted her to be in the delivery room!

"Are you excited Sweetie?" Joyce grinned as she turned and smiled at her daughter.

"Oh yeah." Buffy replied, trying meekly to smile.

Joyce was so caught up in her own excitement that she didn't notice how lackluster her daughter's response was.

Giles pulled into a spot at the hospital and nervously got out of the car, rushing over to Joyce's door to help her out. Joyce smiled at him and they walked anxiously into the hospital, with Buffy lagging behind. Buffy wrinkled her nose; going with her mother and Giles to the obstetrician was not the way she always dreamt of spending the first Saturday of spring break.

"Are we ready to see this baby?" Dr. Crawford asked cheerfully.

Joyce nodded and grinned. "Please, let's do it as soon as possible. Not only am I dying to see the baby, but the gallon of water you made me drink is killing me!"

As the radiologist set up the ultrasound, the doctor smiled at Buffy. "So, are we hoping for a little sister or brother?"

Buffy shrugged. "It doesn't matter." She felt nervous talking to the woman who had seen parts of her that nobody else had since she was her gynecologist. Of course Angel saw a lot more of her then most too, but that was different.

Joyce laughed. "You don't care? All those years you pestered me for a little sister! Please!"

"I was five!" Buffy argued.

Joyce and Dr. Crawford laughed as Giles cleaned his eyeglasses.

"There we go!" the radiologist smiled.

They saw a little gray blob on the monitor. Buffy had to admit she found it pretty amazing that in about 4 months that blob would be a real baby.

The radiologist looked at the baby for a few moments before smiling at Joyce. "Looks like you should start buying blue, you're having a little boy!"

Joyce grinned. "Oh, a little boy! You're having a brother Buffy!"

Buffy bit back the urge to roll her eyes and reply with a smart ass comment; instead she just smiled at her mother.

Giles slapped Buffy's arm proudly. "*I* made a little boy."

This time Buffy did roll her eyes. "I really wouldn't be so proud. Sure, your *sperm* or something is what determined the baby's *sex*, but it's not like you really did anything."

Buffy was successful in thoroughly embarrassing Giles with those two words. He shut his mouth as a deep red blush crept over his face.

Joyce laughed. "Oh, you two are terrible!"

Joyce insisted she had to have barbecued ribs, so the three of them stopped at a bar and grill for lunch. After she had consumed one slab, she took a break so that she could announce something to Buffy, who was slowly eating chicken fingers and french fries.

"Honey, Rupert and I want to tell you something?"

Buffy looked up, cautious of what they might say. What else could they come up with now? They had already eloped and gotten pregnant, was there anything bizarro left for them to do?

"You know how I want you really involved with the pregnancy, the books say it's best and I think it makes sense. Well, another idea they had was to let the sibling pick out the baby's name. So... we want you to name the baby!" Joyce smiled while Giles- who obviously hadn't exactly agreed with this idea- smiled weakly and took a sip of tea.

"Really?" Buffy asked.

Joyce nodded. "Now, of course if it's a name we don't... digest well... we may have to... work together on it."

"Cool! Wow, I never thought you'd give me such a responsibility."

"We trust you." Joyce grinned. Giles, on the other hand, was having a major wig-fest inside his head. Why should they trust someone who had recently named a cat *Snaggletooth* with picking his child's name?

"I saw the look on Giles' face, he doesn't like the idea of me picking the name; he thinks I'll pick something stupid. So, I have to pick a really good name to make him eat his words!" Buffy announced to Angel as they sat on his bed. Angel was leaning against the mountain of pillows and Buffy had her back against his chest with a book of baby's names open in her hands.

Angel looked up from Buffy's neck, which he was nuzzling. "If he didn't say it, how can he eat his words?"

Buffy waved her hand in the air and sighed dramatically. "Details, details."

Angel grinned and tried to pull the book away from Buffy so that he could get her mind focused on 'other things.'

Buffy kept her grip on the book. "Hey! I have to focus here!"

Angel gently bit her earlobe and replied. "You have four months until the baby comes."

Buffy moaned, but tried to stay focused. "No I don't. Mom wants to have some time after I pick and before she has the baby so that we can work out another name if she and Giles don't approve; anyway, as horrible as it would be, she could have the baby early. So Mom wants me to pick one within the next few weeks."

Angel managed to get the book away from her. "I'm sure you can take a 20 minute break."

Buffy giggled. "Don't underestimate yourself Honey."

Angel laughed low in his throat before seizing her lips in a heated kiss. She half turned her body as his hands started to roam over her back. Buffy moved her mouth to his neck, licking and softly biting the sensitive skin.

"You're so bad for me." She murmured.

"I know." He replied, totally unapologetically.

 

The End

 

<< back